Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9257512

Thanks, Jen!

1--My Brazilian Plume flower re-growing...I am NOT going to cut it back this year!!!!
The stems are re-growing and the leaves are getting wonderfully bigger and more spectacular...

Here! Just took these photos! The more stems growing to full potential---the more flowers next year...

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 28, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9257564

Mine is doing great, too.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 29, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9258059

You're welcome ☺

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9258066

Garlic Chives put on a nice floral display.
Great Blue Lobelia, a showy native wildflower.
Rough Blazing Star - Liatris aspera, now 5 feet tall and just starting to bloom. Another native.
Agastache 'Summer Love'
CAllicarpa - The clusters of bright, purple berries are as showy as many flowers.

Thumbnail by greenthumb99   Thumbnail by greenthumb99   Thumbnail by greenthumb99   Thumbnail by greenthumb99   Thumbnail by greenthumb99

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 29, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9258073

nice!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 29, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9258131

My Beauty Berry is starting to bloom as well. It is just filled with berries. Such a pretty plant.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 29, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9258143

L O V E the blue lobelia!!!

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9258251

Jan23 - Want me to bring you one at the swap?
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 29, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9258347

Oh, really? That would be awesome!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9258796

I have a couple questions about my tall, red Cardinal Flowers. They are still hanging in
with a few blooms, but the stems were so tall, that they have long bent in in half
and are a mess to look at.

--These are perennial--right?
--How do they multiply? Me thinks from the roots getting bigger and bigger clumps.
Then you dig up and divide the root-ball. Right?
--The tall stems have, what looks like a lot of seed-like round "pods" all along the stems.
I have looked in some of them--but there is nothing (seeds) there. It has been rainy--so it is a mess...
Do Cardinal Flowers make seeds? How big are they?
--If I collect some of these "round thingies"--and dry them--will there be seeds inside???

Also---I want to dig these up and move them to my "YUK" bed. This bed can use some tall plants
in the background--as I already have a pretty massive New England Aster there--which I bought just
3 years ago on clearance. It is assuming quite a "presence" in this bed. It is also starting to bloom.
I have dug up two areas on either side of the .NE.A. and want to move the Cardinal Flowers there.

Questions:
--Can I cut the plants back NOW and then dig them up? It is pretty much done for the season.
--How low can I cut Them back? I am thinkinf to "manageable stumps.

Mind you---even if I do not get the answers to my questions--I will do what has to be done anyway.
I just appreciate some more experienced opinions here...This are my FIRST Cardinal Flowers.
My Pakistani neighbor gave me a pot of it. She separated hers (only 2 years old) and came up with 5 new pots.

Pictures:
1--The cardinal Flowers in July
2--The same today...They have been like this for a while now...
3--The bent over stems. Can you make out the little seed(?) bumps along the stems?

Thank you! Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal      

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9258810

Some more end-of-summer plants----

1--All the Coleus are just beautiful this time of year. This is "Alabama Sunset".
2--My Dr. Seuss is "colonizing" this bed--It is its way of growing.
like an open umbrella. The Endless Summer Hydrangea is on the left--coleus on the right.
3--New flower buds forming on the Brazilian Plume. Dig the size of those leaves!!!
They just get bigger and fatter as the season goes on. The more stems--the more leaves--the more blooms!
Next summer this should be awesome!!! Like I said--NOT cutting it back this year...
4--This is a rather large planter. I planted the Euphorbia with the tiny, snow-like blooms in it
to accent the other plants. You may say: "WHAT other plants??? The Euphorbia has taken over!
I did not even know these were Euphorbias--just some tiny, filler in plant...HA! It has covered everything!
5--AHEM---This is why you should NEVER plant more than ONE Persian Shield in a container...
Again--this plant has smothered off everything else. It is in a 14" pot.

edited to ask if you think this kind of Euphorbia is also perennial? Like the other one I have?
Would save a lot of $$ not having to buy it as an Accent plant--for $3+.

Thanks for any comments you can provide... Gita

This message was edited Aug 29, 2012 8:48 PM

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9258845

Gita - In regards to your questions about your Lobelia cardinalis, Cardinal Flower:

1) Yes they are perennials, but tend to be short-lived.

2) They multiply by seed and offsets in the enlarging clump.

3) Best time to divide them is early fall.

4) Yes, they do make seed.

5) The seeds are small and brown.

6) There should be seeds in the pods. Collect mature but unsplit pods and allow to dry, then break open.

7) Go ahead and cut the flower stalks back at your whim, but leave the stems with foliage as these are thought to aid in overwintering.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9258932

Alabama sunset looks gorgeous. Everyone is so attentive to their plants! Mine always have insect holes or discolored. I suppose it comes with experience.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 29, 2012
10:09 PM

Post #9258974

lol MD terp! Why do you think some of my pictures are old, fuzzy, or can't be enlarged!!!

Here are recent pics of my 'sunset' oxalis, my 'autumn joy' sedum and a blooming spathe on my 'black stem' taro.

Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup      

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2012
3:11 AM

Post #9259014

Sunset shamrocks? Hm

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9259124

Paul---

IF you are willing to try to keep a Coleus plant over the winter as a houseplant,
I will take a couple cuttings of the Alabama Sunset and pot them up for you.
They will grow--like a houseplant--and you can take cuttings again and root those.
If you have a light set-up--they will do best under lights--or on a bright window.

A couple years ago, I did so many Coleus cuttings that I had no room for anything else...
Last year--I took them too late--and many of them died out. This year--I only have about
6 different ones.

Gita

Pics. December--2010

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 30, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9259140

LOL Terp, You should see my Kong Coleus they are riddled with holes. Many of my other coleus look good but those big Kongs are a mess.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9259165

Holly--

I once "Fell for" buying a Cong. Never again!
They look nice and compact as they are sold--but then they grow large and split apart.
It totally lost its charm for me.

May be similar to Hostas--giving all the slugs a place to hide and then dine on all the leaves.
G.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9259167

Gita that'd be great, thanks. I over wintered two noid last year from neighbors house and I keep a Persian shield over winter, starting it over every spring.

I think I'm going to start a thread "my poor plant" and we can talk about how bad they look this year. Lol.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9259264

Gorgeous colors, Gita!!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9259535

Paul----

HOW do you propagate a Persian Shield?????
As you have seen--I have huge plants of it in a couple different pots.
It costs me $3 every year to buy a new one. And that is wholesale!

--Do you take cuttings? How and where? Then what do you do?
--When and how?
--Their stems seem a bit "woody". How do you manage this?

I have several Persians growing in pots and would like to know...
I can even share cuttings if you share here how you propagate them.

Thanks--Gita

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 30, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9259550

Here comes Sweet Autumn Clem and October Skies Aster, Salvia going gangbusters

Thumbnail by flowAjen   Thumbnail by flowAjen   Thumbnail by flowAjen      

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9259556

Gita-

Propagate them as you would coleus. I believe they are actually easier. Somebody jump in here if I'm off. The first time I did it the piece came from virginia at my brothers abode and he knocked the plant over while vacuuming and brought it to me a few days later. I just stripped it down put the nodes in the soil then with a watchful eye kept it damp.

*Mine has grown pretty funny, but I assume that is easy to correct with some attention.

This message was edited Aug 30, 2012 7:35 PM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9259762

Thanks, Paul!

Something new to try! Gita
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 30, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9259799

Gita and Paul, We used to do strobilanthes cuttings at the green house growers I worked for a number of years ago now. In my experience strobes are a little more tricky than coleus: they do not take as quickly, they are more sensitive to moisture/drying out, they are harder to pinch back to achieve a bushy well shaped plant. I would suggest that cuttings be taken now while night temps are still warm to increase success. At the nursery we took cuttings in mid Spring and grew them on in a greenhouse that did not get cooler than 60 degrees at night. We did not over winter any stock plants, but started fresh with tissue culture 'plugs' late Feb. The cuttings we took were 6-8+ inches and we used rooting hormone.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9259812

Thanks for expanding Coleup!!

I'm pretty green with these things...
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 30, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9259885

And may these things be pretty green for you too! Paul

Jusst passing on what I have seen work or has worked for me
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 1, 2012
5:46 AM

Post #9261263

I have been tucking my cuttings into pots with wet sphagnum moss and that seems to work very well.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 1, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9261893

Hibiscus in rebloom yesterday and a very soggy Gaillardia from today.

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7         

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2012
4:23 AM

Post #9262075

Not flowers--but odd things are happening--end of summer--to my big, old Silver Maple.

It has been shedding leaves early. Yellowing leaves--They are all over the lawn.
Usually, my Red Maple goes first--and the S.M. stays all green until wayyyy later.
Now it is shedding leaves...I am afraid it may be giving up the ghost...AAAGGGHHHH!!!!
Been wondering if i should top-prune it?? Been thinking about that a long time...

Has anyone else noticed this with their Maples--or other trees?
I realize the hot, dry summer may have cause this. Now we have had plenty of rain--
but it may be too late in the season.
Gita
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9262142

Coleup- I appreciate it, thanks.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9262273

Ash tree had major leaf drop. I think you diagnose correctly. I can't say long term if topping will help at all. I think it's just doing an early fall to save its energy.

Personally- I'd save the money on that and use it towards removal if need be. I've never beleived in tree topping.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9262339

I'm with Sally tree topping is last resort and is usually very hard on the tree. Ric did top the Black Walnut behind the house years ago and it has done just fine. He tried topping the Blue Spruce out front but that didn't work and now it is coming down to be replaced.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #9262729

I agree with both of you! Thanks...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9262885

Holly the Hyacinth Bean is LOADED with blooms now!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #9262931

Ok I was not familiar with the term 'tree topping' - looked it up and yup THAT'S exactly what the folks our HOA hired did to our community trees! GRRRRRRRR!!!! I pulled up the other day after work and my jaw just dropped. I'm not even sure how to explain it - it just about pained me. I just kept shaking my head as I looked around getting out of my car. DD came out and said 'yup, I KNEW you were going to have a fit when you got home and saw what they did!' I'm certainly no expert but seriously - there had to have been alternatives to THAT! I realize the storms cost them a bit each time trees lost limbs and/or landed on someone's car...but seriously?! I'm just so upset over this.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 2, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #9262942

Well you know what happens when nature is in the way of process, nature gets cut down ,run over, and driven to extinction. Small trees to the street and near the house ,large trees away from the house and wherever there is public room. It will be the only way to save some as long as such is as it is..
Only every time I ever saw an old white oak go to process that was hundreds of years old I felt much the same.Everything inside just seems to sink and you wonder who could of decided such a thing. Even makes you wonder who to give a bad time about it or get even with, but how?
They all get the tomatoes and the flowers and you get the mulch for next time.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9263107

I know that sick feeling.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9263555

Yep, seen it all too often... In fairness, sometimes there's just no alternative than to top or remove a big old tree... sometimes there's damage you may not have noticed that's made the tree unsafe... My in-laws have some huge oaks in their yard & nearby, and while I don't think they've had to take down a big one yet, some neighbors have. On the other hand, there's the neighbor who pulled out a lovely line of 50 year old boxwoods... LOL

Japanese morning glories are popping out surprises for me... I had 2 seeds of this one and 3 of that in my stash, so I started 1 from each packet and stuck the seedlings into various containers on the deck. Fun!

Thumbnail by critterologist   Thumbnail by critterologist   Thumbnail by critterologist   Thumbnail by critterologist   

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2012
10:12 PM

Post #9265367

Yes Jill those MG's - God love em...once you have them...you always have them...LOL Pretty cheery blooms that they are.

Here we go for the end of summer bloomers...
1. NOID Crinum 'Podster' blessed me with a few years back...packs an amazing nighttime punch of fragrance. Think of a citrus/lily cross...Mmmm
2. Passi and PB shrub...between the two...my yard is rather filled...LOL - LOVE the scents
3. PB shrub is STILL blooming (white blooms) - flutterflies are thrilled

Thumbnail by Chantell   Thumbnail by Chantell   Thumbnail by Chantell      

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2012
4:29 AM

Post #9265469

OH oh oh, Chantell wanted to tell you my PB shrub has some blooms. I was so surprised I wasn't expecting it to bloom this year.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9265628

Yipeee...glad to hear that Holly! When she gets bigger that scent will fill a large area of your yard - more so at night than during the day (it's that 'white' bloom thang again - LOL). I'm wondering if some of the PB babies I passed on weren't '2 yr olds' that I didn't notice last year. I just don't think mine bloomed the first year someone blessed me with her. Must be your's and Ric's green magic!!!

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #9266040

So nice to see that there are still so many things blooming.

The bloom on this really surprised me. I put a bunch of pots in the garage last year and didn't mark them. All the rest have already bloomed (Callas, Begonias, Canna etc). I can't believe that I actually have a Tuberose blooming.

Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9266229

Roses...bet that scent is divine!!

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9266240

I don't think anything compares to it, Chantell.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9266287

Re 'Tree Topping' - http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3881/
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9266290

My opinion of tree topping is if you have to top it shouldn't t be there.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9266297

Or take the time to 'thin' it...that may not be the right word but I just feel it would be better for the tree. Maybe those more knowledgeable than I will chime it
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9266355

Ric topped a good sized black walnut that was shading our pool. I think he was hoping it would die but it didn't and actually looks pretty good.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9266425

That'll learn him...LOL Hopefully your tree looked better than the ones I have to look at on my way out and on my way back...

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9266482

I will admit to occasional guilt of the same about trimming things , only the the nature of the business and being quick is that tree trimmers are'" CHAIN SAW HAPPY"!!! The trees and our eyes often are not as to the result!
OH well , I am off to plan about who to assault with a tree planting referendum.lol

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9267527

wow Chantell--- Now thats a concept- PB shrub and passi together and let them duke it out. I am pleasantly and very surprised at how much that young PB shrub has grown while I was not looking!! You can advise me on where to plant- thinking it will take the place of my sick Japanese maple. That would be kinda near my bedroom window, for mild summer nights--AHHH!

In fact- there are pics of one grown in 'tree form'
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/346920/

This message was edited Sep 6, 2012 9:18 PM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 6, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9267536

Glad to learn that the PB shrub does its smelly-goodness thing at night... that will affect where I plant it, for sure! Might have to make a spot for it in the deck bed, maybe put it in the corner when the banana (yes, I'm down to 1! LOL) comes out this fall.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9267606

Houston: we have a problem...SIZE!!!!! I'm going to have to do some ummm pruning next spring...have mercy...I hope it handles pruning. My townhouse back yard is not quite up to handling a full sized tree. I mean it's called a shrub...I missed the original memo on it's possible size...gulp. Yes, definitely night scented - I don't detect much of any fragrance prior to dusk approaching,

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9267633

Tree form yes but small tree, and i will bet it d be very happy getting hard pruned like butterfly bush almost and growing back out
Have to check for buds on mine in the am

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9267773

All of you-----

I have a question that, actually, goes back to the May Swap at Holly's.

I have a memory of asking for--and someone giving me a start of a Mock Orange.
I remember thinking that someone at work had lamented that these cannot be found anymore,
so I asked for one because someone was offering one.

I came home with several little pots of "things" that I had not really asked for--like Beebalm.
Remember planting these here and there...they were in a 4" pot.

I am attaching a picture of one of these plantings--it is NOT a Beebalm.
Could this be the Mock Orange baby??? Hope someone knows.
If it is--it cannot stay in this tiny place it was planted! I had nowhere else to put it at the time
so I stuck it between a rock and a hard place...:o)

Thanks, Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9267801

I'm not sure... I offerred some Mock orange this spring but I have to check my previous swap list. I only had 2 to give. The one I kept has shot up a long stem like that. But so has my Wintersweet.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9267843

Here's mock orange..
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/10049/

Your plant looks almost like honeysuckle

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9267909

I'll take a pic of the two I was given and post this weekend (maybe tonite), Gita

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9268060

sweet autumn clem

Thumbnail by flowAjen

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2012
11:22 AM

Post #9268066

Jen--

I would not have asked for either a Honeysuckle nor a SAC.
Maybe it was late and people were trying to get rid of things and I, somehow, ended up with this one.

Yooo--Hooo---Jill---
Does this look like a Sw. Aut, Clem.???? Anyone???? see picture above..

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2012
11:28 AM

Post #9268076

I wasn't suggesting yours was a clem, I was just showing mine off

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9268247

Gita I forgot to look at mine. If you like, throw yours in a little pot and bring it to swap. If it is or isn't someone might ID it or take it.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9268405

Found ya.
'gardadore' also had mockorange suckers on her Haves at Holly and Rics. I do think this thing you have "could" be a mockorange. But not the one I shared.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9268453

Just checked Mockorange on PF.

Not too many listed...There were a couple with pointed leaves...but not too visible.
Every photo was more a close-up of the blooms.

Will bring it...Gita

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9270331

Gita - yes, Jen's photo is a SAC. I finally got to smell the scent folks talk about this weekend. Very pretty...but I'm telling y'all - the one I had and gave to Jill (I think) I could not detect a scent on. Who knows. Gita, back to your Mock Orange 'might be' - I will do my best before going to bed to upload the pics off my camera and post what my smaller one looks like. The photo is only of leaves so maybe that will help a little.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 9, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9270346

Hmm. There's a little un-tagged shrub out in the nursery pots area I've been wondering about... maybe it's Chantell's Mock Orange! Weird about it having no scent... but I have a witch hazel that I planted by the corner of teh deck so I could enjoy the "wondrous fragrance" of its early blooms... zilch. nada. I wonder if it's grown too big to move? I'd rather have Chantell's PB shrub in its spot! Maybe if I prune it back pretty hard in fall before digging it up... it'll be fine back in the tree line, just no reason for it to occupy a prime "near the windows" spot.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9270372

Jill...sorry about my post...guess it's a tad confusing. It was my SAC that I thought had no scent. I seem to remember you getting it...but maybe it was someone else. Glad to hear your exp with the witch hazel b/c that's been on my "wants" for a bit due to what I'd read about it's fragrance. It's now official scratched off. Good thing too...God knows where I'd find room for another shrub/tree. I came home from my medicine makers class yesterday with a vitex tree sapling (berry tincture is supposedly great for just about all female issues) and I'm thinking hmmmm - where did I dream this was going? Ugh!! I'm using the hill behind my house. I think I'll baby it till next spring before planting though...
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 9, 2012
11:02 PM

Post #9270423

My now-gone-and-unlamented Sweet Autumn Clematis came from Brushwood, I'm pretty sure. What a thug! Scent was present, but slight. I do think some witch hazels are probably fragrant, but I would buy one in Feb/March when blooming to be sure!

Buckeye enjoying end of summer blooms on a sedum (Joyanna says the big cushiony blooms are "very pattable")

Thumbnail by critterologist   Thumbnail by critterologist         

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 9, 2012
11:07 PM

Post #9270425

Holly's blue pickerel plant (it's sharing a 20 inch pot with a hardy water lily),
morning glory (Grandpa Ott maybe?) peeking in window (took over the Lonicera americana),
Obedient plant (Physostegia) with variegated leaves

Thumbnail by critterologist   Thumbnail by critterologist   Thumbnail by critterologist   Thumbnail by critterologist   Thumbnail by critterologist

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 10, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9270540

Loverly and I agree with Joyanna. They are very pattable.

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9271307

...pattable...too cute lol

we have lots of blooms now. I'm thrilled that our Plumeria from NOLA is finally (after 3 years) blooming. Every year I move the pot to a different location hoping to find the right spot and it's blooming on the porch!!! I've always wanted to see it in person. I've seen bloom pics over the years here on DG and I've always loved them.

our Job's Tears just started putting out "bead" seeds. That's another favorite too.

and Critter, we LOVE all the wonderful tomatoes from you. We've had the best tomato season ever thanks to your plants. Thanks again so much.

Thumbnail by wind   Thumbnail by wind   Thumbnail by wind      

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 10, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9271324

ooh, a sincere but jealous congrats Diana!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9271514

Gorgeous Red - Diana. How's the scent on that baby?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 10, 2012
9:48 PM

Post #9271595

Lovely! I'm going to try Sally's way with my plumie this winter, keeping it semi-dormant rather than pulling it for full dormancy. Maybe I'll finally get a bloom. I'm not sure I have any idea what color it's supposed to be any more... would have to check back several years...

Diana, I'm glad the tomato plants did well for you this summer... they did squat-all here, zero, zip, nada. Peppers weren't much better, but at least we got a few. So my veggie bed got totally neglected, and I've been having fun playing with the perennial garden areas (undergoing a total overhaul).

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9277877

1. Part of the garden
2. Another part of the garden
3. Japanese Anemone
4. Another Japanese Anemone
5. Berries on Chinese Dogwood

This message was edited Sep 17, 2012 2:45 PM

Thumbnail by donnerville   Thumbnail by donnerville   Thumbnail by donnerville   Thumbnail by donnerville   Thumbnail by donnerville

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 17, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9277916

Very nice!

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9277923

1. Morning Glory
2. Corydalis 'Berry Exciting'
3, Sedum 'Neon'
4. Plectantrus 'Mona Lavender' -- many thanks to Judy
5. Pepper 'Black Pearl'

This message was edited Sep 17, 2012 3:12 PM

Thumbnail by donnerville   Thumbnail by donnerville   Thumbnail by donnerville   Thumbnail by donnerville   Thumbnail by donnerville

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 17, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9277927

Oh you weren't done yet! And VERY pretty.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9278710

Wowzers donner!! Sheesh - very very nice!!! Here's my bitty tuberose and a new Portulaca to share come spring...

This message was edited Sep 18, 2012 10:16 AM

Thumbnail by Chantell

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9278711

Hmmm Portulaca went MIA..let's try again (it's fuzzy - sorry). BTW all kinds of great markdowns on Southern States plants to include Sweet Olives (50% off) and ALL kinds of semps, succulents, sedums etc.

This message was edited Sep 18, 2012 10:15 AM

Thumbnail by Chantell

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9278825

Donnerville -- just beautiful photos!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America