Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wennien
Santa Rosa, CA

August 28, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9257226

Is anyone growing onions from seed in Northern California? Can the seeds be sown in September? Do you have recommended variet(ies)? I'm in zone 9 about 60 miles north of San Francisco -- first frost Nov 23rd. Any advice would be appreciated. I do plan to start some onion sets in the spring. But would like to start some from seed now if I can.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

August 28, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9257240

Coincidence- I am not in your zone, I am in WA, but I am trying onion seed now also. I bought WallaWalla seeds and sowed them 3 days ago in an empty space in my garden. I figure if they sprout and begin to grow before frost (about 7 weeks away) I can dig them and plant them in a deep tray in my greenhouse. I like to experiment, and not much to lose- so here we go!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9257441

I'm also sowing bulb onions from seeds!

My plan was to sow them at the beginning of August and grow on for 12 weeks, then transplant to the garden. I would have been early. Last year, I planted transplants from Dixondale Farms on January 8th and harvest bulb onions between July and August. Had onions up until December. Nice!

Linda

Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click an image for an enlarged view.

JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

August 28, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9257466

Linda, do you grow everything in EBs? I don't use containers unless I really have to- I have better results in ground. What timeline do those photos include?- From sowing seeds to harvest?
wennien
Santa Rosa, CA

August 28, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9257674

Good luck, Jo! We can experiment together and see how we do.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9257782

Jo,
I have nine Earthboxes, and used them last season to grow the onions. I didn't . those from seeds, but from transplants I bought from Dixondale Farms. I planted the transplants out on January 8th, and started harvesting in July. I harvested the onions in late August .

The Baton Gardener has a tutorial on YouTube on growing onions from seeds n. He's som ewhere in Louisiana, and started seeds in a trough filled with sifted compost. he started his seeds in August I think and planted them in October, 12 weeks later

I'm starting mine this weekend and planting them out into the EBs in 12 weeks. Then, going to start a 2nd batch in October to coincide with my original planting date of January 8th.

I used the EBs as space savers. Now that I have two raised beds , I'll use the EBs as for my mustards and collards.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America