Photo by Melody

Cacti and Succulents: Gone but hopefully not forgotten?

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 28, Views: 290
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tervherd
Lima, OH

August 28, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9257231

Sharon here! If those who know me think I fell off the planet, I haven't . I spent a good deal of time recovering from hip surgery, specifically, hip replacement. What an experience! But on to happier subjects! I'd like to share some photo's. I don't know the names of most of them, but it would make me happy to know that you liked at least some of them. My appologies for one or two being a tad fuzzy. It is taking me a little bit of time to figure out a new camera I have AND some changes in how to post.

HERE WE GROW!

Sharon

This message was edited Aug 28, 2012 3:20 PM

Thumbnail by tervherd   Thumbnail by tervherd   Thumbnail by tervherd   Thumbnail by tervherd   Thumbnail by tervherd
Click an image for an enlarged view.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9257270

Beautiful Sharon! Glad you are back. It's been quite awhile since you said you were have the surgery. Wish I could keep the melocactus alive. I seem to overwater them.
amanzed
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

August 28, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9257318

I seem to recall melocactus can be hard with high heat and sun.
tervherd
Lima, OH

August 28, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9257339

Thanks, Amazed! I will change where it lives so it won't get quite so much heat.

Sharon
amanzed
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

August 28, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9257439

Yeah it's one of the unusual ones, likes some water in winter, cooler temps, etc. If memory serves.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

August 28, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9257566

Grow on! Welcome back. That fourth fruity picture is awesome. Yummy.

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

August 28, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9257646

Welcome back Sharon. Love the pictures, especially the forth one. Keep the pictures coming.

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 28, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9257742

Love the Melocactus!

Dean, in addition to my M. azureus out in full sun here in the Valley (and exposed to sub-freezing temps), I know of a local nursery that has 2-3 other types out in full sun. I can't say whether they leave them exposed in the winter, but I'm certain some Melocactus are far tougher plants than generally believed.
amanzed
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

August 28, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9257751

It's not the toughness, I just know some of them take different treatment than low-desert, high-heat types. I imagine it would depend on the habitat. Some melocactus come from fog coasts.

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 28, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9257784

Yes, I know some are quite tender and demanding. But that seems to be the general reputation of the genus across the board. I have frequently encountered stunned responses from experienced and knowledgeable cactus hobbyists, upon learning of the harsh conditions under which my Melocactus (and others I know of) is apparently thriving. Of course, mine might drop dead tomorrow, you never know, but so far so good...
amanzed
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

August 28, 2012
10:29 PM

Post #9257860

Sharon welcome back!

Germanstar, I think we agree. I think under some conditions Melocactus are easy. Around here, I think they can be trickier in pots because the roots overheat or dry out and die back. All the club folks around here talk about giving Melocactus more water in winter than other cacti (or less protection, since we get winter rain in coastal/Mediterranean climate CA). We run into more problems when we assume all cacti are the same. Clubs are great for sharing local lore for growing particular genera under local conditions. Or choosing species which thrive in one area with relatively little care or worry.
helenchild
Decatur, GA

August 29, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9257962

Glad to you are up and about and back with DG!
I hope we hear more from you again.

Thumbnail by helenchild
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tervherd
Lima, OH

August 30, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9259846

Ok, here are a few more photos. Question...is the big white flower an epiphylum (spelling)? It was a total surprise for me. Well, I am bleary eyed and it's past my bed time.

Sharon

Thumbnail by tervherd   Thumbnail by tervherd   Thumbnail by tervherd      

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2012
11:07 PM

Post #9260062

The white flower is an Echinopsis subdenudata I believe. Here's mine.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ

tervherd
Lima, OH

August 31, 2012
3:36 AM

Post #9260116

Thanks, Nancy...Do they usually put out multiple blooms? They are such stunning flowers!

Sharon
mcvansoest
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 31, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9260294

Hi Sharon,

The cactus with the yellow flowers in your second posting looks a lot like what I bought as Hamatocactus hamatacanthus. Here in Mesa in the semi-shade it is a very prolific flowerer although it flowers during the day and the blooms do not last very long so I only get to see them on the weekends when I am not at work.

It has the hooked central spine and is very dark green. Two pictures added one to show the flower, and the other an overview of the cactus with several more flower buds and showing the hooked central spine.

Thijs

Thumbnail by mcvansoest   Thumbnail by mcvansoest         

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 31, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9260859

Yes, they are stunning. Earlier in the summer I find that there are more buds blooming at once. As it gets later they seem to slow down some. I think my picture was taken May or June. Maybe if I fed them more they would develop more multiple buds. I'm not sure.

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

August 31, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9260998

I have the Hamatocactus, too. It is out flowering everything that I have. Sharon, Nancy, I don't think your white one is Echinopsis subdenudata. It has much smaller spines. It is definately an Echinopsis though.
Gary

Thumbnail by smashedcactus   Thumbnail by smashedcactus         

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9261618

Mine is E. subdenudata. It has small spines. Maybe Sharon's isn't. I did not really notice the spines so much before, just the flowers.

Edited to say: I forgot to ask about the Hamatocactus. How big is the flower Gary? They are very beautiful.

This message was edited Sep 1, 2012 1:21 PM

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

September 1, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9261728

It's about 2 1/2" to 3" across.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9262638

Wow, I've got to get one of those. I suppose they only last for a day?

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9262704

Yes, only one day, but they bloom a lot.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus

mcvansoest
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 2, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9262791

As Smashedcactus says they bloom a lot! I got mine at one of the H. depots in Mesa, some time this spring, I think it was one of the $3.99, maybe even $2.99, cacti they sell. Since then it has continuously flowered even through the hottest weather this summer. I have it in a hanging basket with morning sun exposure and full shade starting around noon. I have been watering the basket about once a week throughout the summer, with a short period of twice a week during the really hot weeks we had in July. Aside from flowering the cactus has grown quite a lot too. So for the money a great addition and great performer.

Thijs

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 3, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9263175

Thijs: Thank you so much for the info on location and watering. That really helps me know what to do. Also, I'm very interested to hear that the Hamatocactus blooms all through the summer and does well. I have some cacti (especially Echinopsis) that the heat affects the bloom even when they first open. That is very frustrating to me.
mcvansoest
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 3, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #9263477

Hi Nancy,

I know exactly what you mean with the Echinopsis flowers, given that we have had more moisture this year then the last few, I have had a couple set blooms for the third time this summer now and while they make it all the way to flowers... the flowers are essentially crumpled and look like they have been open for a day right when they open - not pretty.
These are also in the morning sun afternoon shade part of my yard, but it must just be too hot for them. I also noticed a very interesting bleaching, the Echinopsis in question is supposed to have pretty bright orangy-red flowers (they were/are in the spring), but right now they are very bleached almost pastel peach like color now.
Not sure exactly what to think about that.

Thijs

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 5, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9265643

I want to tell you I love every picture posted here. I am a total nut for Succulents and have close to 100. I got many of them this summer so haven't seen many bloom as yet. 'Black Prince' is about to show me red blooms and I'm anxiously waiting.
Faye
PS..Will gladly share as baby's arrive.

This message was edited Sep 6, 2012 10:47 AM
amanzed
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

September 5, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9265916

dahtzu: That's great about your growing collection.

On "intruding" on threads, I don't know the exact circumstances of the case you mention.

I hope you won't mind if I offer this: often if a member encourages someone to post a new thread, it's because the topic of their post is different enough that it warrants discussion in its own right. It's not a matter of intrusion so much as... topicality. Or relevance to the original post (or ongoing discussion) in that particular thread. Each thread is just a sequence of (often) related posts; they are not clubs unto themselves.

Speaking personally, you are most certainly welcome! And suggestions about how to contribute to threads or topics are—at their best—helpful advice on using the website. Take such advice with a grain of salt (even mine).

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 5, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9266318

Evening all, just surfing threads as a way of entertaining myself tonight and lo and behold, I find the most glorious photo's..amazingly beautiful!
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 5, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9266348

Thank you amanzed. Sometimes it's hard to know exactly which threads to comment on because although I love Succulents and Cacti, I really know nothing about them. I have been given quite a few that had noid, and those that I've purchased from WalMart and Lowe's I've kept their names but without looking at the label I don't know them.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America