-
AuthorContent
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 28, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9257362

Not sure when the latest safe day to plant irises in zone 4, but I remember last year I had some that came late and I planted them in the ground (raised bed) and when it got cold I added wood packing curly cues (forgot whatch'call'em) around the fans and then put an opague plastic container over them to keep out excess moisture. I just did it to a few, but they all survied and grew nicely. Oh yeah, excelsior! They often use it fror packing plants. Much better than plastic peanuts.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

August 28, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9257476

Hmmm. I have moved them in August and we are a zone 4-5 sort of. Depends on what day it is. lol. Schreiners ships them in July so that isn't too terribly far ago
crowrita1
Lyndon, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9258259

Hi, ! I don't think that there is a "too late " date. Plant them, water them in well to settle the dirt around the roots, and maybe set a 1/2 brick or a big stone on the rhisome so the wind don't "up-root them and you should be good to go! Freezing won't hurt them, they just go dormant, and will finish rooting in next spring,if they don't have time this fall. You may not get spring bloom, but they will survive just fine...Arlyn
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

September 4, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9264609

The brick may be the key; I think a lot of loses are dur to frost upheaval. I've always been hesitant to use a brick for fear of causing rot, but suppose that wouldn't be a problem till spring...
crowrita1
Lyndon, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9264850

Hi,! No, I don't think you will have a problem. Put the brick on late, I'd say, just before freeze up and get it off before it gets too warm in the spring. Depending on when they get in the ground, you may get sufficiant root growth yet this fall. I've got some coming at the end of the month and I'm not worried about servival over winter, it's the spring bloom! If i'm lucky to get a nice fall, maybe I'll have some, i hope!!...Arlyn
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 4, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9264933

that whole idea of plants jacking is so odd. We have fence posts that jack but I have never had a plant do so. Maybe because we freeze up and stay that way for a long time. and when we thaw, we really thaw. No see sawing back and forth.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

September 5, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9266202

The alternate freezing & thawing causes trouble here. If the ground froze & stayed that way life would be a lot easier.
crowrita1
Lyndon, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9266343

Hi,! You're right! The "frost" is likely to go out, and then refreeze a dozen times, or more, in that top 2"-3" of soil. Seldom do we get that perfect snow cover to protect it, and keep it frozen...Arlyn
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #9266474

Never thought I would be grateful for six months of rock solid soil. lol

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

September 9, 2012
9:15 PM

Post #9270391

I have over 200 sitting in pots ready to go in the ground, plus also some that were dug and divided last week. Any helpers out there? LOL...

I just love Iris...the ccolors are so amazing...first three are german bearded, #4 is Iris setosa, and #5 is a german bearded with no standards or what they call a flattie. I never get a second bloom so i have to see and smell them only in June...

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Click an image for an enlarged view.

mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

September 10, 2012
2:55 AM

Post #9270467

I dearly love those "flatties" and tried for many years to get them to grow here but the squirrels will not leave them alone. They dug them up every day. It got to be so frustrating that I just gave up on them.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

September 10, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9270798

You guys must have some really aggressive squirrels. But I remember seeing some in Michigan that looked like small grey dogs. lol. And in D.C. as well.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9270853

I just love the flatties too. Remind me of Japanese.

You have your work cut out for you, Kathy!
mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

September 10, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9270892

Good to "see " you posting polly. I finally gave up on trying to get up to your place. I planted the plants that I had potted up for you. I never did get any notification of the ais auction this year. I had even asked Dana to let me know and I'd bring him a pink water lily for their pond. I hope the plants I got at the you dig sale survive. This summer was very hot and very dry. Not enough rain to keep my rain barrel filled.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #9270902

All the plants you gave me are doing well, Mittsy. I don't very often come here, still on the other site. I should check in more often, though, but it seems pretty dead in irises. And, well, that's what I like, is irises. I think people need to pick up the chat on here.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

September 10, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9271021

Although we have had rain this summer, I think that the winter lack of water still hurt the irises as many are struggling. No increases on many & the ones planted this summer don't look happy either. Because of our town watering ban we have not watered except by 'can'.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Irises Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Irises forum dave 25 Jul 7, 2011 8:35 AM
autopsy photo! miss_kitty 10 Jun 11, 2013 1:18 PM
Another Iris? in need of identification mgh 33 Jul 6, 2007 10:03 PM
Trail Of Tears Iris starlight1153 15 May 2, 2010 6:44 PM
How to Hybridize Iris tazzy 23 Sep 18, 2007 1:25 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America