-
AuthorContent
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 28, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9257553

hello everyone! i have a lollipop plant - pachystachys lutea - that isnt doing well. im afraid it will just die. it has sparse small leaf growth at the tips of the stems. it is growing in ground and gets good moisture. it gets morning filtered sun and a bit of afternoon sun. i dont know what to do with it. should i move it or is it missing something? i was afraid to give it more sun because it wilted so fast when i had it in part sun in late spring. but i will definitely give it more sun if thats the thing its missing. thanks!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 29, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9257931

Sorry to be a wet blanket but I have tried shrimp plants several times over the years and moved them all over the yard and still couldn't keep them living. I'm in your same zone in Clermont.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 29, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9258421

aww :( i really like them, well maybe i just like how they look before you bring them home haha. thanks for your input though. i wonder why they don't like it here.
even my agapanthus is flopping after so much rain and standing water from Isaac (but i don't think thats the case with my shrimp plant's location).
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 29, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #9258447

I hope you can get them to grow. I know when you get your heart set on a plant it's discouraging when it won't live.
Just received in the mail a Hawii sunset vine and pictures make it look just wonderful. I read tag and it says zone 10 so I potted it up and staked it so it can be brought inside if necessary. If I can keep it alive I'll be so happy.
Bonnie

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 30, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9259161

Have you tried growing them in a large pot?
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 30, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9259175

I have the red and yellow(what we call) shrimp plants. I totally neglect mine and they do fabulous! I am about to do cuttingd again- very few make it but the plants get so big and straggely , I have to cut them back and I am not one to waste the cuttings. Maybe they just really love this Everglades heat and humidity.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9259183

Are you just talking about the common shrimp plant thats orange/brown? I have to pull them like weeds, they have spread all over the back. All I can say about them is that they dont get to much sun, they are not growing in any sort of ammeneded soil and they get no care except mother nature. Ive got them growing all around the beauty berry 'weeds' that I treat as landscape. Their berries are turning magenta right about now, and I love them. I see yellow shrimp plants at HD, but never tried them.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9259220

i've tried the yellow ones several times but what i've found is cutting them back a couple inches from the ground will either rejuvenate them or if they just don't like their surroundings, they'll die out then.

good luck!

meant to add that they may be prone to root-knot nematodes when planted in ground. a guy down the street has his in a big pot in partial shade with potting soil and it's beautiful year after year.

This message was edited Aug 30, 2012 11:37 AM
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 30, 2012
11:27 AM

Post #9259418

Gardenglory, I think I have a weed like that- not to be rude.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9259427

The beauty berry? I prune them and everything. Cant say the idea was mine. They like filtered light and those berries just show up so nice. Birds love them too. I wouldnt put them in the front like a hedge, but back with the shrimp plans, dogwoods, there happy, free, and no maintainence .
It is a weed, thats not rude, altho I have another weed that makes like a tree and has a big thick green stem and magenta berries/purple berries, that is a whole 'nother' ballgame and not related to a bb.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9259456

Just googled beauty berry. To my total shock, JP and Park seed SELL them. I guess the birds dont a good job of seed distribution everywhere.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9259516

i bought my Beautyberries at a local garden center. quite a few places sell them online: http://davesgarden.com/products/ps/go/2657/
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9259549

Well, I guess the birds just gifted me, since I do keep them well fed. However they come, I like them.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9259579

i like them too!
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 30, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9259583

thank you all for the input - its led me to the decision to try it in a pot. and come to think of it, it could be nematodes. right now i only have the black nursery containers, but now i know to buy a pot. i always end up buying pots that i don't even have use for until i find something to fill it up.
now my problem is finding a spot where i can leave the pot and not have it get too much sun! under my trees isn't the ideal place, the pots topple and the lawn care people have a hard time.
oh i forgot, it's not the more vigorous reddish colored one. yeah HD often sells them in mixed container plantings.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9259640

i've heard advice to the contrary but i always put pea gravel in the bottoms of my pots and then dig a smallish hole (enough to fit about the bottom fourth of the pot in). make sure there are plenty of drain holes and another thing you can do is get a bamboo or rubber-coated stake that fits in one of the drain holes and pound it into place, leaving as much or little as you want on top. then just plant your plant. it won't blow over, i promise.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 31, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9260687

so basically sink the pot enough to keep it upright? should i leave the dish off the bottom (detachable)/? im thinking that's a yes for the stake technique.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 31, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9260722

yes, you'd have to remove the dish. i remove the dish on all of mine anyway, especially hanging pots. i just pop them off-otherwise stuff rots too easy. once a plant gets really tall, it can go over even when sunk into the ground.
i cut the bottoms out of all my really big pots and let the plants root to the ground but since you're trying to escape sandy soil/nematodes, you wouldn't want the plant to grow into the ground. in that case, maybe leaving the dish on is a good idea.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9273059

these dishes i have are somewhat heavy duty i think haha, they hold a liter or more!
i havent gotten to actually fixing the situation yet, but i will let you all know how it goes. thanks for all the advice!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Florida Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Florida Gardening Magazine - does anyone here subscribe? JaxFlaGardener 58 Apr 16, 2013 7:48 PM
Native Plant (wanted) Botanyguy 16 Jun 6, 2008 6:20 PM
Duranta budgielover 26 Jul 21, 2008 10:36 PM
Jeremy's Mystery sugarweed 11 Jun 12, 2011 9:23 PM
Do Tall Bearded Iris grow in Florida? JaxFlaGardener 67 Jun 20, 2008 6:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America