Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Recipes: Separating an egg yolk from the white....

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 9, Views: 124
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9257649

WHY did I not think of this before?????? SOOO simple!!!

This video is not in English, but very easy to understand and so
simple... (Another one of those "how did I live this long and not
know this")

http://bbs.wenxuecity.com/cooking/1160651.html
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 29, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9258632

How cool! However, if you don't have an empty plastic bottle handy, just crack whole egg into a bowl, gently lift yolk out with your very clean fingers, transfer between fingers of each hand (over the bowl containing the remaining white)--and the white will slide right off leaving a clean, whole yolk to place in a second bowl. Try it.
~ pen

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9258771

Penzer--I have seen it done on TV with the hands... seems somewhat "sloppy"...

Long ago--Tupperware used to sell a small, funnel-like egg separator. It had an opening at the bottom
where the egg white would slide through--leaving the yolk in the funnel. Easy-Peasy!
It was a party gift--NOT sold...

More often than not--I just use the two shell halves to do this--back and forth between the shells.
I think most of us do this...
Gita

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 29, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9258930

Wow that was cool!

I do the shell thing back and forth too
Debsroots
Northwest, MO
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9259634

Well how cool is that...I might have to try this. I most often just use the shell back and forth method.
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 30, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9259738

Try the fingers. I don't think you will ever go back to the back-and-forth shell thing. Not so sloppy--you get egg white on your fingers, you rinse them off. Best thing is how clean the yolk ends up. Much more efficient that the shell method. ~pen
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

September 1, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9261764

This is the same thing I posted 2 days ago LOL Jo
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9261971

Bed, Bath, and Beyond has the little funnel like device, like tupperware used to have, it runs about $7.00 Best part your hands are clean
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 3, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9263744

Jo, you are right about the post. I think it's the title that caused the attention though I responded to yours first.

Pennzer's suggestion was spot on. Most of us were born with a funnel like devise at the end of our arms. If you touch your food you will have a connection to it. If separating an egg with your bare hands is offensive then think about how that meat got on your plate. I think it's gross to consider how many other hands may have touched my food before me. I know people who cook but will not cut a piece of raw meat or fish and buy all their produce in bags or pre-cut. In other words, they only eat packaged fish fillets as well as packaged beef cuts and salads. They also only eat cantaloupe or watermelon that comes cut up in containers because they think it's gross and messy to cut it up. I cook professionally for other people often and my hands are all over their food.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9271491

I start with clean hands and wash/rinse them frequently during the preparation and serving of food. I wouldn't pay to have a device to separate the yolk from the white, when fingers are free and reusable. What's gross is seeing how many restaurant servers wipe the tables and counters with a rag, and then pick up serving plates, At supermarkets, I see careless handling in the deli and meat counters, I even see cooks on television, brushing their hair back with their hands and then proceeding to cook...yuck. Wait staff with long hair used to be required to wear hairnets. Not any more. I've wandered a little off topic here...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America