Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins: Fall Houseplants / Tropical Swap

Communities > Forums > Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins
bookmark
Forum: Group Trades, Swaps and Round RobinsReplies: 93, Views: 849
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9257695

CLOSED TO NEW PARTICIPANTS

REVEAL THREAD: Please post here with a list of your new plants and a photo when you receive them: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1281363/

###########

Welcome to Our Annual Fall Houseplants / Tropicals Swap!

We will be sharing a minimum of THREE houseplants and / or tropicals, Send healthy, nice size plants like you’d buy at your local nursery, or divide ones you already have. The value of the plants you share is $20 minimum, excluding Priority Mail with a Delivery Confirmation number. Since it's almost Fall, to make it easier, THREE Bulbs, Tubers, Cuttings (preferably rooted but unrooted are OK), or Rhizomes will count as ONE plant. The remaining TWO or as many as you can share must be live plants.

Names will be taken until Midnight Sunday, September 16th. You will know your Buddy's name shortly afterward in a D-mail from me. Keep their name a Secret until you receive your box and post a photo of your newest plants. If you aren't able to post a photo, please let me know when you sign up or send a D-mail. Our deadline to Priority Mail is any time during the week of October 14st. Earlier if possible since many of our participants in the past and probably again may have a chance of Frost before the end of October.

Rules are simple….
1. Anyone is Welcome to join us! If you’re new to DG or have not previously participated in a swap I've hosted, please D-mail your name, mailing address, phone number, and email address. Other than your address that will be given to your Buddy, no one's other personal information will be shared. Having pertinent information from all our participants helps ensure no one will be forgotten.
2. Your DG Subscription must remain current without any lapses through November.
3. Respect the Privacy of your fellow gardener and do NOT post Delivery Confirmation Numbers directly on our threads. Instead, keep your receipt and / or D-mail the numbers to me.
4. Participants in our swap are only obligated to send to one person, your assigned Buddy.

Let the interest begin! Who's IN besides me?

This message was edited Oct 15, 2012 5:30 PM

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Click the image for an enlarged view.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9257696

RESERVED FOR PARTICIPANTS

ahoogstra / Alicia
careyana / Carey -- > REC'D from goldhillal / Crystal
chellflower / Chell
diamond9192002 / Anita
FruitOfTheVine / Susan
GAgirl1066 / Paula
goldhillal / Crystal -- > REC'D from aghoogstra / Alicia
hartzell81 / Heather -- > REC'D from Kim_M / Kim
happgarden / Joyce
Kim_M / Kim -- > REC'D from FruitOfTheVine / Susan
strange2u / Paul -- > REC'D from happgarden / Joyce
Tina_A / Tina
toy747 / Lizette
Please post a list of the plants you received here and who they were from along with a photo: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1281363/

This message was edited Oct 11, 2012 8:12 PM
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2012
11:30 AM

Post #9259423

Count me in I wanna play!!!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9259852

You betcha, Anita!

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

August 31, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9260171

Hi Fruity!
Count me in too! I am SOOOOO excited! Winter hits hard here in MI, and so I just LOVE my houseplants!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 31, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9260181

Sure thing, Alicia!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9262261

Feel free to list your likes, wants, and dislikes.

diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 2, 2012
11:47 AM

Post #9262468

Tropicals
anything with large leaves
Gingers
Bird of Paradise
Unusual or extraordinary plant
Rec Begonia
Hoya
Any bright colorful plant

Dislikes:

African Violet
Cactus
Air plant
Hens and Chicks

Haves:

Philo
Spider
Begonias
Brugs
Dumb Cane

This message was edited Sep 5, 2012 8:07 AM
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 2, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #9262943

I'm here..thanks fruity for telling me. I have been so busy this past week making cuttings and dividing things.there's going to be a15mile yard sale the first of October on the road I live on now-so I am busy trying g to get some plants to sell. I should have plenty to send! Hay I cant wait
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 3, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9263265

Glad you made it, Paula. Wow, a 15 mile yard sale sounds like such a blast! Bet you'll make new gardening friends too.

velmansia
Antioch, TN

September 3, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #9263566

Glad I came across this. I want in also.
If I make cuttings of my pulmeria it won't have roots for next month ...I don't think!

Have:
Epiphyllum (red flowers)
Night blooming cereus (never bloomed-not sure of color)
Ginger-white, peach delight, and red button
Kalanchoe
Bromeliad
Pulmeria-cuttings
Begonia-angel wings, Rex

Do not want:
African Violet
Prickly Cacti or Chicken and Hens
Spider plant
Wandering Jew

Don't know the names of the others.

This message was edited Sep 3, 2012 5:22 PM
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 3, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9263646

That's fine, Velma. We're glad you're here!
Tina_A
Caddo Mills, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 4, 2012
2:33 AM

Post #9264215

I want in please
Tina
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #9264309

Great, Tina!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9265135

Attached isn't such a great pic of Ipomoea 'Sweet Georgia Bronze' taken with my iPhone, but was excited to see it bloom again. First time since I brought it home in June when there were many. I bought two plants from the same lady and will have or tubers to share.

Other haves off the top of my head include...
Nephthytis 'Pink Allusion'
Euphorbia 'Diamond Frost'
Plectranthus coleoides 'Marginatus' -- Variegated Swedish Ivy
Alocasia 'Polly"
Syngonium Arrowhead cuttings
Pothos Vine cuttings -- > don't we all have at least one?
Dwarf Sansevieria "Mother-In-Law's Tongue" -- may be Sansevieria trifasciata 'Hahnii' or a sport --commonly called Bird's Nest Sansevieria
Epiphyllum orchid cactus cuttings -- mine hasn't bloomed
Schlumbergera -- Christmas Cactus cuttings
Euphorbia trigona -- Cathedral Cactus cuttings
Pennisetum setaceum 'Rubrum' -- Purple Fountain Grass
Solid Green Elephant Ear or Taro (2' tall)
Phlebodium aureum mandaianum -- Blue Star or "Bear's Paw" Fern
No ID Coleus cuttings
Named Canna rhizomes
Named Caladium bulbs

Velma, I'm behind the 8 ball too realizing how many cuttings are possible but probably won't be rooted by the time we all actually mail. Why don't we all just do the best we can?

Don't have much luck with Crotons. Anybody have tips how to keep the leaves from dropping? If any of you share African Violets, I'll gift them to my MIL who unlike me has always had a magic touch with them.

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 5, 2012
4:16 AM

Post #9265453

Very nice Fruity! If you have an extra, I would like one.
I'll try to post a list of everything I have, might take awhile.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9265532

I think life has calmed down and I would like to join.

Would like anything really but here is a list of some things I have been intriged with but really I love all tropicals and don't mind duplicates because it just makes the display bigger and better.
Would love another voodoo lily – I lost mine
blue Atroviridis
Michelia figo “banana shrub’
Tree Fern
Variegated shell ginger
Rabbit fern
Aspargegus fern
Desert rose
Stag horn fern
Adenium
Hibiscus
Tsunami
Fifth dimension
Electric blue
Rumrunner
Any I don’t have
Starting to do more succulants but not cactus except for the sticky desert rose..lol
String of pearls

This message was edited Sep 14, 2012 9:22 AM
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9265577

Good morning!
Gotcha down, happ, glad you made it.
velmansia
Antioch, TN

September 5, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9265622

FOTV, I didn't have luck with Crotons here but I started some for my son in FL by just breaking and sticking them in the ground and you should see them now! I think they need the tropical rain to keep them going.

Do you keep your epiphyllium inside? Got a plant 2 yrs ago and mine has bloomed large red flowers every year. I put mine out in the Spring...the blooms are georgeous!!!

This message was edited Sep 5, 2012 8:23 AM
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 5, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9266360

Here is what I have so far:
Beaucarnea recurvata - ponytail palms
Billbergia nutans
pepperomia obtusifolia varg.
Nemantanthus
Justicia betonica - white shrimp plant
Crown of thorns - red/yellow bloom
Albuca bracteata - pregnant onion
Nephthytis 'white butterfly'
Hawaiian spider plants
Philodendron scandans - velvet leaf
Vanilla planifolia - vanilla orchid
Clerodendron thomsoniae 'delectum'
Philodendron 'xanadu' (large plants..not sure I can ship)
Piper - root beer plant
Colocasia - black magic
Colocasia - Illustrius (looks like)
Colocasia - big leaf
Clerodendron bungii

I would rather have perrenials or things that can be planted outside in Zone 8b, but anything is fine.

This message was edited Sep 10, 2012 7:31 AM

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

September 6, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9267425

WOW Fruity, you are so blessed! I aqm going to come live with you for a while to learn all your secrets to sucess! I Love my outside plants I received in my first swap, and my chime, and now this swap! You Rock! Everyone who has listed plants I am SO impressed! I just really started with indoor plants..my baby right now is my Stag Horn Fern! It is just soooo cool! I have a great little cacti, i recv'd in a swap, and a cacti I just started, mother-in laws tongue, umbrella plants, two dieffenbachia, and a couple more I need to look up there names. (I have them recorded) I just ordered seeds to start some Blood Banana's, Black & white Tacca, ponytail palms, Chinese Wisteria, and some feather palms, so If I have any luck, after the swap is over and I hopefully have some healthy little plants I would be happy to share! Obviously they won't be ready for the swap...so I will be buying some great little traesures for whom ever I swap with! SOOOO excited! I love to go "hunting" for cool plants!
Have a good night everyone!
Alicia
velmansia
Antioch, TN

September 6, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9267437

Hi Susan, I am sorry but I need to bail out of this swap. Maybe next time I will be ready.
Velma
strange2u
Hinsdale, IL

September 7, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9267882

Hi Susan,

Oops, I didn't realize the house plant swap going on, right now. You informed me of it, but I thought the swap was occurring, some time in the future.

If you were to take me in, I would have to order the plants, and have them sent to my assigned buddy's address. Right now, I dn't have cuttings of any of my plants, and I have no idea on how to, send my fuschia plants without the plants being distroyed, in the process of being sent out.

I'll send you a personal D-mail of the info you need, once it's confirmed that I'm accepted.

Please let me know if I'm in or not,
Paul
chellflower
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2012
9:09 PM

Post #9268593

Woohoo, it's that time of year again...please count me in Fruity!

Will post my lists soon.
Thanks! Chell

chellflower
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2012
9:56 PM

Post #9268619

Haves:

*will check/post this soon.

My Wishes (or check trade list):

variegated/unusual alocasia/Colocasia
Gingers (any)
philodendron 'blushing bride' (variegated green, pink & white leaves)
amaryllis (esp. Elvas, Gervase, black Pearl...)
hardy orchids for zone 8
indoor orchids (except phaleonopsis
bat plant (tacca -white or black)
jack in the pulpit/cobra lily (arisaema)
bird of paradise (esp. white)
queen's tears
calathea/maranta (prayer plant)
alstroemeria
tulips (parrots,'blue lagoon', variegated species)
pussywillow
stephanotis floribunda
tiger lily
dutchman's pipe vine
guernsey lily/ pink spider lily (nerine bowdenii)

Don't want/need:
african violets
jews (tradescantia)
arrow plants (nephtitis-already have all colors)
airplane/spider plants
cannas
pothos ivy
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9268990

Velma, if you change your mind come on back! Some of my cuttings won't be rooted in time either. Thank you for the surprise package in the mail!

Paul, I'll send you a D-mail. Of course you're welcome to join us. We have this swap in the Spring and again in the Fall and apologize if I misled you.

Great to see you again, Chell!

#####

How do you like my red Begonia picked up this morning for $5. No tag. Paula or anybody, do you think it might be 'Bonfire'?

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 8, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9269335

ACK! This snuck up on me! Yes I am IN! :D

Not sure I'll have much for cuttings rooted but I have stuff to share! (Fruity, that begonia is GORGEOUS)

Paula, I would love one of the vanilla orchids and walking iris. I have no idea if I could possibly have anything you don't already in trade though!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 8, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9269339

Likes: begonias, orchids, plumis, adeniums, other succulents, especially nifty if they smell good or have beautiful blooms! (Bonus if they have both!

Dislikes: high-maintenance plants. I'm beginning to feel that way about brugs since there always seem to be spider mites on the ones I have. :(

I'm going to skip (for the most part) on side trades. Feel free to check out my "haves" list (my tradelist) if you see something you like, shoot me a note and we'll work something out. :)

Although, if you want a chunk of stapelia gigantea, let me know. The small piece Char sent me last year is now ENORMOUS and ready to bloom. (I don't know if I'm excited about that or not! ha!)

Thumbnail by careyana

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 8, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9269346

Aww, Fruity, sorry to disappoint, but I'm pretty sure it is not Bonfire. They have more of a 'bell' shaped bloom. From what I can tell, looks like your average angel/dragon wing begonia.

Carey. sending you a dmail.

I have more to add to my list, but I'll post them tomorrow.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 9, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9269685

I would like to do this swap... I have some house plants potted, some rooting, and some grown from seed that I can share. I can send at least 3 plants which is required.

WANTS: Houseplants Only - (leafy plants...philodendren, dieffenbachia, pothos, ferns...etc)

DON'T WANT - Non traditional houseplants (bulbs, orchids, coleus, etc) No African Violet

Are the plants a Surprise (our choice) to our buddy?

Thanks!,
Kim

This message was edited Sep 18, 2012 1:31 PM

Thumbnail by Kim_M

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9269763

Paula, plain old Angel Wing works for me, love these reddish pink blooms.

Welcome, Kim! We're to send the best matches possible to our buddy's wants.

At this point, I'm not sure if I'll assign names, or will ask each of you to pick your own buddy. Picking your own would certainly be easier for me. Thoughts anyone?

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 9, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9269838

Fruity,
I say lets pick our own, but then I don't know how that would work for everybody to pick someone. How about everyone (that wants to..) send 2 names to you that they would like to send to and then you pick from that. There's at least 2 people or more...I have the plants that they want. But, I'm ok with whatever!

Kim, what is the philodendron on the right side of your pic above? I have one that has the purple leaves, but my leaves are bigger and darker. I was wondering if it was the same plant.

Heres mine..

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 9, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #9269878

Well I think Fruity (swap coordinater) should assign the buddy. Also I thought we were sending surprises that our buddy may like...maybe I misunderstood. But not anything on their "Don't Want" list and their want list if possible.. When I think about getting exactly my wants it kinda spoils the fun especially when I can go out and buy what I want...LOL. Well I'll stick around and see how it turns out and who my buddy may be. I was hoping to share some of the plants I already have, with exception to a few I pick up from an exotic nursery :-)

Ohhhh GAgirl...my philodendron is Velvet Leaf (Philodendron hederaceum) http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/90662/
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9270047

We'll stick to the original guidelines! I like surprises too.

If any of you would like to do side trades, please handle them through D-mail.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2012
11:16 PM

Post #9271621

Love that purple leaf philedendron. Very pretty

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

September 11, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9271722

I haven't been keeping up with these threads very good lately. Just discovered this one. Please let me join!

have:
2 or 3 different Episcias
Several AV plants from leaves
several different Rex
goldfish plant
lipstick plant
cactus and succulents
white cattleyas (coming out the cazoo)
miniature cymbidiums
moth orchids that I have trouble reblooming
old cultivar night blooming cereus
Aristolochia fimbriata
varigated impatience
Streptocarpus saxorum
ealking iris
Kalancheo (cuttings)
varigated Hoya
dancing ladies dendrobium

Do not care for:
cactus
airplane plants
philodendron

wants:
Epiphyllum
cyclamen
Datura ( I have white, yellow, and peach)
I just purely LOVE plants. I am not likely to reject anything. I like blooms and unusual leaf textures and I like fragrance.And I look forward to the surprises.

This is a partial list i might be open to some trades, but I do not have time right now to look thru and see what i might trade with, but if I have something you like, lemme know and I will check your list.
strange2u
Hinsdale, IL

September 11, 2012
11:15 AM

Post #9272042

I have two Honeysuckle Fuchsia that I'ld ove to give a loving home to. If anyone wants them, please Dmail me. I'll give them a hard pruning if I send it through the mail, but they'll come back just fine.

Thank you Paula and Alicia for giving my two Honeysuckle Fuchsia plants a good home.

To all whom it ay con concern, I plan to start posting my my wants for the, House Plants Swap, tonight. I'm too slow of a typest, to do all of them in one night. Please, do not feel confined to just the plants in the list. I would be happy with any plant, my buddy thought I would enjoy, thank you.

Plants that are known to be good Air Purifiers for the indoors are important to me, and to keep my cost down as much as possible, plants that tolerate full shade or atleast part shade, are attractive to me now.

The IAP (indoor Air Purifiers) in my want list are these plants below.
1.'Glacier' English Ivy
Hendera helix
2.'Design' Odd English Ivy
Hendera Helix
3.'Decora' Rubber Tree
Ficus elastica
4.'Monique' Weeping Fig
Ficus bejamina
5.Spotted Evergreen
Aglaonema costatum
6.Aglaonema
Aglaonema rotumdum
7.'Cebu Blue' Devil's Ivy
Epipremnum aureum
8.Banyan Tree
Ficus benghalensis
9.Trailing Fig
Ficus sagittata
10.'Sweetheart' Lovers Ivy
Hendera helix
11.'Thordale' Common Ivy
Hendera helix
12.'Brazil' Heartleaf Philodendron
Philodendron hederaceum
13.Oak Leaf Philodendron
Philodendron quercilolium
14.'Auero-variegatum Tree Philodendron
Philodendron bipinnatifidum
15.'Hope' Philodendron
Philodendron bipinnatifidum
16.Philodendron
Philodendron branditanum
17.Spade-leaf Philodendron
Philodendron domesticum
18.'Ariane' Boston Fern
Nephrolepis exaltata
19.'Medusa' Auatralian Sword Fern
Nephrolepis obliterata
20..'Mauna Loa' Peace Lily
Spathiphyllum
21.'Mauna Loa Surpeme' Peace Lily
Spathiphyllum
22.'Black Star' Snake Plant
Sansevieria trifasciata

There also plants that aren't known for their indoor air purifing qualities, that get my attention. Of these, the full shade tolerant plants, are the following plants.
1.'Sparkle' Dumbcane
Dieffenbachia seguine
2.Dorstenia
Dorstenia bahiensis
3.Stolon Palm
Chamaedorea stolonifera
4.Hardy Bamboo Palm
Chamaedorea microspadix
5.'Sabrine Delphine' Bush Lily
Clivia miniata
6.'Mona Lavender' Plectranthus
Plectranthus
7.'Chrysophyllus' Dwarf Yollow Bamboo
Pleioblastus viridistriatus
8.Celebes Pepper
Piper ornatum
9.Wavy-leaved Cotton Moss
Plagiothecium undulatum
10.Water Spider Orchid
Platanthera repens
11.Stiff Staghorn
Platycerium hillii
12.Needle Palm
Rhapidophyllum hystrix
13.'Sherman's Ghost' Variegated Kudzu
Pueraria montana (Ok, this one is really part shade, but kuduz is impossible to kill, so I'll try it as an indoor plant)
14.'Mermaid' Large Flowered Climbing Rose
Rosa
15.'Seagull' Rambler Rose
Rosa ( I think it can take shade)
16.Ball Moss
Tillandsia recurvata
17.Java Moss
Vesicularia dubyana
18.Weeping Moss
Vesicularia ferriei
19.Red Leaf Giant Crinum
Crinum asiaticum var. procerum
20.Cubanola
Cubanola domingensis
21.Mosquito Plant
Azolla
22.Mosquito Fern
Azolla filiculoides
23.Sausage Vine
Holboellia coriacea
24.'Renata' Congo cockatoo
Impatiens niamniamensis
25.Spiny Licuala
Licuala spinosa
26.Masdevallia Prince Charming
Masdevallia
27.Darjeeling Banana
Musa sikkimensis
28.Anthurium
Anthurium rothschildianum
29.'Black Jack' Jack in the Pulpit
Arisaema triphyllum
30.Upright Elephant ear
Alocasia macrorrhizos
31.'Variegata' Variegated Upright Elephant Ear
Alocasia macrorrhizos
32.'Reticulata' Alocasia
Alocasia zebrina

This message was edited Sep 11, 2012 5:58 PM

This message was edited Sep 11, 2012 11:06 PM

This message was edited Sep 12, 2012 10:58 PM

This message was edited Sep 15, 2012 10:44 PM
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9272104

Glad to have you, Crystal!

hartzell81

hartzell81
Mount Pleasant, PA
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #9273572

Can I play too?

As for haves the only things that didn't commit planticide after the move last year were my wandering jew & my bamboo. Everything else decided it hated the new house & went roots up. :(
Thus I will be going shopping for this swap.

Wants:
Please just houseplants!
Things that do well in low light (someday I'm going to lose it & cut a huge hole in the side of the house for a gigantic window.)
I desperately want to replace my exotic angel plant Ivy "dark pittsburg" hedera helix. Haven't found one yet. :(
oxalis (purple ones)
christmas cactus
cactus/succulents
aloe vera
ferns
philodendron
Spider plants
things that vine

Don't want/care for:
African violets (they hate me & commit planticide immediatly on being brought into my house)
Orchids (love them but can't keep them alive)
Things that want high light/humidity do not thrive here.
magnolias
jasmine

This message was edited Sep 12, 2012 11:28 PM

This message was edited Sep 12, 2012 11:35 PM

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

September 13, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9273811

Good Morning Everyone!
Here is a list of my haves, I would like anything that isn't on this list, just houseplants please, and i would love anything that smells wonderful:)

Coleus
Dieffenbachia
I only have 2 Philodendrons...the heart shaped green, and a varigated.
Stag Fern
Sanseveria (Snake Plant)
Wandering Jew (purple)
a couple of little cactus, but I would like more.
Cheflera ( Umbrella Plant)
I am trying to grow Thanksgiving cactus from cuttings

That's about it for me. So my Buddy is going to get new plants that I go on a hunt for!

Have a great day!
Alicia
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9276138

Last call for new participants is tomorrow at Midnight!
Velma, did you decide to play or are you still going to sit this one out?

We're going to a County Fair tomorrow, haven't been to one in years and am really looking forward to touring the exhibits. Our mail lady won several Blue Ribbons and a few White and Red ones for her entries.

Each of you will know your Buddy's name in a D-mail from me by Tuesday evening. In the meantime, feel free to cruise participants' want lists and D-mail me with a couple of people you'd be comfortable 'mailing to'. Just a suggestion and it would really help me. Please don't reveal your Buddy though until you receive your plants.
velmansia
Antioch, TN

September 16, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #9276903

I am going to sit this on.e out, sorry

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

September 16, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9276975

Hey everyone I just picked up a couple more house plants at the swap this weekend...Aloe and a varigated Spider plant. I am getting excited!
Alicia
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9277588

We are closed to new participants.

Here's our mail lady's Rabbit's Foot Fern sporting its Blue Ribbon. She was pretty stoked.

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

September 17, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9277725

WOW! That Fern is so beautiful! She is Good!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #9277823

It makes me glad now she didn't divide it into several clumps about this same time last year.

Do any of you recognize this plant that was just noted in the competition as a Medium Size Houseplant?

Each of you have been D-mailed the name of the person you will be 'sending to'. Let's have fun getting our boxes ready to go!

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 17, 2012
11:10 AM

Post #9277826

I have several of those...and I would have sent you one this morning if i knew you liked it :-)...gonna dmail you Alicia
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 17, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9277827

Some type of Solanum?

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

September 17, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9278092

Awesome Kim! Can't wait for the dmail:)

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

September 18, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9278731

I looked in my house plant book and it does look like a Solanum! Cool plant!
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 18, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #9278969

GAgirl1066 wrote:
Kim, what is the philodendron on the right side of your pic above?

LOL LOL Paula! I just realized you said "The Picture to the Right"...That's the one you sent me! ha ha ha

Philodendron "Pink Princess"
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 18, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9279171

LOL I didn't think it was velvet leaf, but...

Is your Pink princess losing its 'pink'?
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 18, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9279216

Noooo it's fine and growing really big. I'm about to re-pot it. Maybe it's just my pic...
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 19, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9279677

OK, good...it looks like it has grown. So far I have had good luck with mine. The one I bought a couple of years ago, bit the dust in a couple of months.

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

September 19, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9279728

Good Morning!
I went shopping last night! I had too much fun!!!!!!!!! I am really excited about this swap! Goodies soo to be on there way:)
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 19, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9279781

Paula, Ohhhh Noooo...are they short lived? The one you sent me is Extremely happy!

Alicia...I went shopping too :-) And bought one for myself too! ha ha. But I already have some plants at home to share. You're package should arrive today so look out for it.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 19, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9279902

Kim. no, not that I know of. I just don't think the one I bought before was well rooted. Either that or I over watered it...maybe both, but it rotted.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9280599

The plant I asked about is Solanum pseudocapsicum. Stupid me asked for the same plant to be identified twice in the last month, although the sprig a neighbor brought earlier still had green fruit but said it turned red. Oh well, live and learn.

Y'all hold down the fort while I'm gone tomorrow morning til sometime Sunday afternoon. Hubs will be home to feed the critters and retrieve mail. I'm not taking my laptop but may be able to check in on my iPhone. Really am looking forward to my getaway and spending girl time with a very special friend. We just might have time to squeeze in a visit to a nursery :)
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 20, 2012
4:14 AM

Post #9280803

Be safe Fruity...we'll miss you!

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

September 20, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9281000

My Buddy's package went out today!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 22, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9283383

Eeek! Fruity didn't make a "Reveal" page!

I guess it's no secret who my buddy was! lol Crystal, you are one speedy lady! I bought a few new pots just the other day in anticipation of re-potting some of my own. I'll be working on these first!

I am so excited. I'll send you a dmail in a bit and I'll post up a report when Fruity is back and puts up a "reveal". :)

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

September 22, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9283490

Hello Everyone!
My buddy's package will go out on Monday afternoon!!!! Yippy! Yahoo!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9284382

I'm back after a long relaxing week-end and missed y'all!

Stay here to chat as long as you like.

#####

Crystal, you're always so prompt to mail and apologize for not starting our reveal thread earlier. Here it is for all of us. You're first on deck, Carey.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1281363/

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

September 24, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9284632

Glad you're back Fruity! We missed you:)
Have a great week everyone!
Alicia
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 24, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9285078

Hi Everyone!
My Buddy's package went out today...so excited! Loved packing it!

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

September 27, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9288225

My buddies new "babies" went out today!!!!!!!!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9288339

Thanks for the updates!

Please post on our Reveal thread as soon as you can once you receive your new plants: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1281363/
Another box in addition to yours, Carey, has been delivered :)

Still gathering for my buddy and am shooting to mail next week.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 27, 2012
9:19 PM

Post #9288493

Excuses, excuses...that's all I have!

I have to put everything in one spot to photograph. I'm hoping to take 5 minutes in the morning and do so.
Goober_Fairy
Smiths, AL

September 29, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9289970

Hey frutie so sorry i havent been on i for got to plug in my nook and lots of school stuff

Sincerly
Goober fairy

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2012
11:04 AM

Post #9289990

HEY ALL NEW SWAP FOR BULBS IS OPEN come check us out
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1282221/
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2012
2:10 PM

Post #9290115

I have been a gathering also, and having so much fun doing it. Weather is beautiful, everything should ship just great.
toy747
South Florida, FL
(Zone 10b)

September 29, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9290383

I'm so sorry I missed this. I always forget to check this forum. Please let me know next time if you think of it.

Thanks!

hartzell81

hartzell81
Mount Pleasant, PA
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9290436

Received my plants earlier this week from Kim_M. Sorry it's taken me so long to post the pic. Husband had spinal surgery mon & blah, blah, blah life.
Thanks Kim the plants are awesome. :)
*edit* Ugh my photo won't upload! Ok I will e-mail it to myself & try loading Mon from work.

This message was edited Sep 29, 2012 10:27 PM
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9293884

Glad your plants made it alright, Heather, and that your hubby is doing well.

Lizette, We'll have another Houseplants / Tropicals swap in the Spring and will remind you in a D-mail when our thread is open.
In the meantime, if any of you would like to send a second box and receive one from Lizette, D-mail me. I really don't like leaving anyone out who wants to participate.

Monday is a Holiday so if you can't mail your buddy's plants tomorrow in anticipation of delivery by Saturday, please wait until next Tuesday. As a reminder, our LAST day to mail is Saturday, October 20th. The sooner the better since many of us are already starting to experience cooler temps.

My buddy's box went out today!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2012
11:12 AM

Post #9294786

Big thanks to the person who volunteered to send a box to Lizette!

Lizette, when you have a minute would you mind posting a few plants you like or the types, and whether or not bulbs would be OK and perhaps which ones. Thanks!

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9295687

My box went out yesterday...! and shouldn't have a problem hitting them by Saturday, didn't even think about a holiday on Monday.

We are scheduled to hit 30 this weekend...ugh. Very few rains still. We have had such crazy weather that people's trees are blooming again, crab apples are in bloom and I was at home depot and a cherry tree was blooming...

opps need to check out the reveal thread...
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9296104

Been doing a bit of a scramble making room to bring in tenders. Our big dip in temps won't happen until Sunday when the high is projected to be around 55 with night temps in the 40's, then it's downhill the rest of the week. You can't really get perspective from the angle of the photo, but this EE leaf is over 3' tall, my largest ever :) Guess I better dig that puppy along with its two smaller neighbors and pot 'em up.

diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2012
4:57 AM

Post #9296398

Love the huge EE, Susan. That's my plan this weekend as well. Time to get all the dahlias, EE, cannas and bananas in. Last year my dahlias didn't do too well in the garage. This year I will have to try another method. I'm thinking of storing them in vermicutlite. How do you store your dahlias?
Tina_A
Caddo Mills, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9296451

I got almost everything that I wanted for my buddy, but I'm going to a R/U tomorrow so who knows what jewels I will get there. The box is going out on Monday though.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #9296511

Oh Fruity don't you just love those upright ee's. They get really really big and don't get spider mites like the thin leafed ee's do. I transplanted my big ee this year out of a big pot and took 3 huge pups off of it. They are great for casting in concrete, one of my favorite plants for sure.
toy747
South Florida, FL
(Zone 10b)

October 6, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9297638

Hi all,
Susan was so kind to squeeze me in at the last minute.
I was asked to post a wish list so here goes;
Colocasias and Alocasias love them both
I have Illustris, Stingray, Frideck, Blackstem, Pineapple Princess and Calcullata would love other ones.
African Violets,
Vanilla orchid,
Begonias
anything really just no Clerodendrons, they are far too invasive here!

I will send my plants out on Tuesday!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9297867

Thanks for the list, Lizette, and the notice you're planning to mail Tuesday. We're glad to have you with us.

Tina, don't rush to your PO on Monday. Offices will be closed to observe Columbus Day and you have little spare time as it is. Hope you had a grand time at the RU. It's always fun getting together with friends at events like that and making new ones.

Anita, I'm sure there are many correct ways to store bulbs, tubers, rhizomes and the like. This year instead of digging Caladiums and storing them, I'm going to do an experiment and just bring pots of them into our garage. It'll be heated with a wood stove. Four of the big six pots have already been cut back. I just love the leaves on these things. Where were we just talking about them, happ? The Fall swaps Chat, I think? It would be great if all of you would join us there.

Cannas I don't dig until after our first frost but before our first freeze. Frost helps kill the leaves and makes easier work cutting them off. Then I rinse away most of the soil and lay the rhizomes out to dry for a couple of days. Putting them up wet risks the chance of rot. Another method is to dig the clumps and store them in bags or totes just as they were dug. I am not that brave, nor would I want to bring in bugs...lol. My rhizomes will be stored again in cardboard boxes with each layer of them covered with cedar shavings. You know the kind, Pet bedding that comes in bricks at Walmart. Shredded paper would work too. The boxes will be stored in the garage as well, unless there's enough room beside the clothes dryer. It's under our staircase and the wasted space is where I have stored Caladium bulbs and Dahlias that were prepared the same way. No worries about freezing.

How do the rest of you who have to store your bulbs prepare them? It would be interesting hearing different methods and perspectives.

happ, Those stepping stones and rain chains made with EE leaves are so cool and would love to have enough sense to know how to make them...lol How's that pumpkin bowl of yours holding up?

While in town this morning, a house I passed by, and nearly stopped at for a yard sale, had the cutest display of pumpkins painted with all sorts of squiggly patterns. Not sure if they were real or the lightweight fake ones, but the different colors of glitter paint showed up really well.

strange2u
Hinsdale, IL

October 6, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9297905

Hi Joyce,
Thank you for everything. I'll cherish all the plants, as if they were my childern.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9297917

That's great, Paul. When you get a minute, come over to our Reveal thread and list your newest babes and a photo if you can.

###

This thread will, of course, be open to chat until everyone has received.

###

Our general Fall Chatter thread is well underway. If you aren't already there, won't you join us? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1278289/
strange2u
Hinsdale, IL

October 6, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #9298002

Yes susan, I might do that sunday. The pictures take so long on my computer, not to mention my slow typing, I never feel I have the time or energy, to do so. Maybe, I'm a bit of procrastinator, too.
toy747
South Florida, FL
(Zone 10b)

October 9, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9300546

If my buddy has not sent my package out, please hold off until Monday. I have to go out of town for a few days and DH will just leave the box untouched.

Thanks so much!

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

October 11, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9302638

Fruity, your caladiums are GOREOUS! I have some bulbls to do next spring! When should I start them inside?
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9302665

Since I'm a leaf junky, I especially love easy-to-grow Caladiums! I don't start mine inside but you could a few weeks before your last frost. Instead I plant them outside when there is no chance of a freeze. Four of the big pots up there I planted on my birthday (April 9th) and the remaining two pots not until mid-May. By the end of July, there wasn't a bit of difference in how the early and later ones looked. They had all filled out so nicely! While growing, heat and bright filtered light are their best friends, and of course water. Oh yeah, right after planting I don't start watering until the first few sprouts emerge. Somebody else may do theirs differently and let you know their method. I'd be curious too.

This message was edited Oct 12, 2012 9:32 AM

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

October 11, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9302695

Awesome Fruity!
Thank you for the great info!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9302715

Certainly! And thanks for your compliments :) I buy Caladium bulbs from Bill (Caladiums4Less.com). His bulbs and service are both superior! He included a pound of some kind of granulated fertilizer with the Spring order and do think it helped with a jump start. Fertilized once when most of the bulbs had awakened and shot up leaves and one more time about mid-Season, I think it was. Anybody here will tell you fertilizing is not my forte and usually forget unless a bottle is attached to the hose.

Next week is our final one please to get your packages in the wind. If I've kept up correctly, these folks are patiently waiting to receive. Please let me know if I've missed someone who has received.

ahoogstra / Alicia
chellflower / Chell
diamond9192002 / Anita
FruitOfTheVine / Susan
GAgirl1066 / Paula
happgarden / Joyce
Tina_A / Tina
toy747 / Lizette

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

October 12, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9302966

Hey Fruity;
I recv'd my plants for the Houseplant swap, I put pics and everything on the other thread:)
Alicia
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9303057

Thanks, Alicia. I should have copied from the REVEAL thread.

ahoogstra / Alicia -- > REC'D from strange2u
careyana / Carey --> REC'D from goldhillal / Crystal
chellflower / Chell
diamond9192002 / Anita
FruitOfTheVine / Susan
GAgirl1066 / Paula -- > REC'D from toy747 / Lizette and will receive from another one of you.
goldhillal / Crystal -- > REC'D from ahoogstra /. Alicia
hartzell81 / Heather --> REC'D from Kim_M / Kim
happgarden / Joyce
Kim_M / Kim -- > REC'D from FruitOfTheVine / Susan
strange2u / Paul -- > REC'D from happgarden / Joyce
Tina_A / Tina
toy747 / Lizette

This message was edited Oct 12, 2012 10:27 PM

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 12, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9303574

I still owe pictures for Crystal. ACK!

Gathering items up to send out! Mine should (hopefully!) be going out Monday. :)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9305376

Thought I'd post another update here and also on our REVEAL thread with the list of folks waiting to receive. If you haven't already mailed your Buddy's plants, please do so one day this week!

chellflower / Chell
diamond9192002 / Anita
FruitOfTheVine / Susan
GAgirl1066 / Paula -- > Volunteered to trade with toy747 and has received; waiting for another one in our group.
happgarden / Joyce
Tina_A / Tina
toy747 / Lizette -- > will receive from GAgirl1066 who is planning to mail tomorrow

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America