Photo by Melody

Daylilies: An awkward question...................

Communities > Forums > Daylilies
bookmark
Forum: DayliliesReplies: 58, Views: 760
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dixiedumplin
Riceville, TN

August 29, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9258733

I use the Watchdog a lot to check out sellers/gardens before I purchase. The Happy Moose garden has been renamed and as far as I can tell the new name hasn't been added to the Watchdog. The previous name has several negative reports and I don't want to order from them if the situation is basically like it was. There are a few I'd love to have but I don't want to go through a hassle to buy. I know this is a touchy subject but if someone knows anything that would save us (and some new buyers) from a bad experience, please do. If you don't want to post on here, please send me a D-Mail. Thanks for your help.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2012
3:42 AM

Post #9259017

Hmmmm, I didn't know his garden was renamed. That's news to me and yes I had also heard of problems ordering. I do know he has been selling on the Lily Auction but haven't heard anything else at the moment.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2012
4:43 AM

Post #9259045

Yea, hes now NCdaylilies, or something like that. He has good intentions and has kept it going thru either two or three moves. I would try to contact him, just to answer a random question, If he responds, then your probably good to order. His problem isnt his plants, its his ability to balance relationships with daylilies, in reguards to time. Well, thats my opinion. Ill tree mail leslie and see hat she knows, She used to be close with him, daylily wise.

pam
JWWC
South Bend, IN

August 30, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9259462

He has been posting regularly on the Facebook group that was mentioned in another thread. People there have been thanking him for their plants so presumably things are going well. He also has a few plants listed at discounts in that group.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2012
9:19 PM

Post #9262006

I got four plants from NCDAYLILY a couple months ago. I was VERY pleased with the quality of the plants.
Four Play
Chief Four Fingers
Queen Of Everything
Wake Forest Centennial
They all looked like they had scaped out before I got them. Next year!!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9262120

That makes me really happy to see! Thanks
Casshigh
Cartersville, GA

September 2, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9262139

I just bought Redefining Genetics (on sale and sent extra fans) from him after seeing his postings on FB. He also sent a new introduction as a bonus. I had ordered from him a few years ago and was pleased. I have read about his ups and downs and have been cautious about buying from him for that reason. I have been pleased with what he has sent each time. It seems that he goes through both good and bad periods in his life. Right now "seems" to be a good period. Wish this would be permanent as he has lots to contribute to the daylily world through his work with polys.

Doris
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9262226

Doris, did you order directly from him, the LA?
dixiedumplin
Riceville, TN

September 2, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9262559

I recently learned that a new friend of mine got plants from him off the LA (I think) and was very pleased with the transaction. I'm going to order from him. I really like Good Girls Do.

dd
Casshigh
Cartersville, GA

September 2, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9262624

Pam, he posted on the Email Robin that he had a sale on certain daylilies and listed the prices. I contacted him at his email address listed on his new website. He has recently listed daylilies for sale on Facebook's Trade, Buy, and Sell. I'd like a few more but better not.
carmor07
Sweetwater, TN

September 5, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9266397

I ordered from him on the FB page. He sent three fans of each that I bought,and sent a new intro (1 fan) just as promised. I will probably order from him again in the future.
dixiedumplin
Riceville, TN

September 6, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9267165

I ordered Good Girls Do a few days ago and got the fans today...lightning speed. They are healthy and I'm proud of them and it looks like Bobby is ready to jump back into the daylily business with gusto. I hope I can come up with the money for some more of his intros.
Bourret
West Newfield, ME

September 9, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9270080

I ordered from Bobby on the Lily Auction in the spring and the plants he sent were healthy.

Lisa
West Newfield, Maine
zone 5a
NC_Daylily
Wake Forest, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 10, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #9271497

Hi Friends,

Thank you for your kind words in regard to my new garden, the plants, and my shipping this year.

2012, has been a year of restructuring and my new "Daylilies of North Carolina" business has been extremely successful in the customer care arena. I am the sole proprietor of the business now so there are no outside influences with the new garden. I am also very proud of the flowers that I introduced in 2012 and for spring 2013.

~Bobby

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9282028

I may have to put in an order myself. Sounds good. I will look up your facebook page, Bobby.

Karen
NC_Daylily
Wake Forest, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 21, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9282683

I hope you enjoy my flowers Karen.

~Bobby

This message was edited Sep 22, 2012 12:28 PM
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 22, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9282841

When are you going to put up your 2013. I want the yellow on that is a high poly.

Went to find it, I must have been dreaming, cant find what I was thinking of...

Pam

This message was edited Sep 22, 2012 8:06 AM
NC_Daylily
Wake Forest, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 22, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9282969

Pam, you must have gone to my old website. The new website for Daylilies of North Carolina is http://daylily.net I believe the plant you are looking for is SWIM BIKE RUN which one of my 2012 introductions and is near the bottom of my homepage. The direct link to the cultivar page is http://daylily.net/nc_introductions/swim_bike_run.htm where I have 14 pictures of it which are all clickable for full-screen viewing.

Here is additional information that I posted about SWIM BIKE RUN on the polymerous forum yesterday that does not appear on my website yet: "I just keep discovering great things about SWIM BIKE RUN. I had seeds from it in the crisper for 3 to 8 weeks. Soaked the seeds in cups of water/hydrogen peroxide for seven days. I had 100% germination/seed sprouting in the cups. Planted all the seeds directly in the ground today."

This message was edited Sep 22, 2012 12:29 PM

Thumbnail by NC_Daylily   Thumbnail by NC_Daylily   Thumbnail by NC_Daylily   Thumbnail by NC_Daylily   Thumbnail by NC_Daylily
Click an image for an enlarged view.

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9283033

WOW, that is a very nice flower!!! It looks really big too.
NC_Daylily
Wake Forest, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 22, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9283075

This flower is FRACTURED SYMMETRY, but the reason I am posting it is that you can see the big blooms of SWIM BIKE RUN.

If you look at this picture at full size then can see the clump of SWIM BIKE RUN in the background along the right edge of the image. I think that this picture shows, very nicely, the impact and presence of SWIM BIKE RUN in the garden.

~Bobby

Thumbnail by NC_Daylily
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 22, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #9283080

Nice, love em. Im a sucker for a good yellow anyway. Those look really nice and healthy too. Your plants seem happy there.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9283480

Beautiful, Bobby! I love that one, even though I'm not always big on yellows. FRACTURED SYMMETRY is even nicer, as I'm pretty partial to unusual forms and spider types. Thanks for posting those.

Karen

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9283507

Bobby, I'd like to place an order with you. I was wondering if you have anything on the LA right now, and what your alias is there.

Karen
NC_Daylily
Wake Forest, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 22, 2012
9:52 PM

Post #9283581

Hi Karen,

My alias on the LA is NCDaylily but I currently do not have anything listed. My website is http://daylily.net

Karen, I will contact you directly by email/dmail.

Thanks,
Bobby

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2012
9:57 PM

Post #9283583

Thanks, Bobby.

Karen
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 23, 2012
6:03 AM

Post #9283751

I had to look away from fractured and good girls. SBR is my splurge for the fall. The garden sure looks happy there in NC.
NC_Daylily
Wake Forest, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 23, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9283822

You can't go wrong with SBR. You will discover that it is a complete daylily with wonderful characteristics in all categories of evaluation.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 23, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9284259

I ordered A MOOSE FISHING ON A POND ON MONDAY (which has been on my wish list a long, long time), OLD TERMITE (the brownest daylily of all time, according to the AHS) and GOT NO GOAT. Can't wait to see them blooming next year!

Karen
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 24, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9284689

Cant wait to see your pictures next year.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9285467

:-)

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #9285567

Looks like I'll be getting I HAVE ISSUES from Bobby as well. Woohoo! Looking forward to next spring already, but enjoying getting my gardens in shape for winter. The daylilies are still looking good, though some are just starting dormancy. I'm enjoying every moment in my gardens.

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2012
3:51 AM

Post #9285693

Susprise in the mail yesterday!

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2012
4:09 AM

Post #9285701

Got mine yesterday too!!!!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 25, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9286470

Oooooh! Can't wait to get mine!

Karen
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 26, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #9286959

Just got an order from Bobby. I am just thrilled, and he knows why. Thank you so much!!

I love the journals. I think they do an excellent job.

Thanks again Bobby!!!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9287199

Got my order from Bobby today. Thrilled is not saying enough. I'm ecstatic! Besides the ones aforementioned, I also got TIME AND DIMENSION. Woohoo!!! Thanks, Bobby!

Karen
DaylilyOma
Harrod, OH

September 26, 2012
9:26 PM

Post #9287547

You all "make" me want to move south! We've already had a frost here in NW Ohio!
SPRING, COME FAST!!!
In years past, I bought the Journal but due to health issues, medical bills etc., I no longer get them.
It would be nice to see it on line but I doubt that is available. Does anyone know?
I can't buy more plants now but I had fun going to "Bobby's" website to see his plants.
I like COURAGE AND DETERMINATION or something like that...I should have written down the correct name. After going through breast cancer, I think that would be a good one to own. But I will have to wait for another season, if God so wills.
Thanks for sharing.

DaylilyOma

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 27, 2012
2:43 AM

Post #9287607

Hello everyone, just starting out with daylilies. Well I have been shopping for about three months and everything seems to come in the mail at the same time. Sure have been busy. Just got my first issue of Daylily Journal.

DaylilyOma, I will mail you my copy when I am done reading it. Also the AHS has a free download of the Journal in a PDF format but you have to be a member to get it.
After June 30 you can get a trial membership for 15.00 and two free issues of the Journal.

https://daylilies.site-ym.com/?page=dues_options

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2012
4:05 AM

Post #9287629

DaylilyOma, we here in the midwest feel your pain in regards to the weather. Glad you are doing better health wise. We will all keep you in our prayers.
Virginiarose you are soooo kind. I personally know what you mean about everything arriving around the same time. It can be overwhelming at times.
I spoke too soon above. While wandering in the garden yesterday I saw a up and coming scape on "Chief Four Fingers".
Mike
NC_Daylily
Wake Forest, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 27, 2012
5:03 AM

Post #9287677

Hey Pam and Karen,

I am so happy to hear that you like your new plants. Thank you :)

~Bobby
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9287771

Im just so glad I could get them before the spring. Give them sometime to get happy before making me some pollen, or maybe a pod. I try not to make pods the first year. Just depends on the plant.

What I really need is a poly tet with some good pollen. Any suggestions. One that would help make a white would be even better. Id love to introduce some sculpting and some teeth. Things is, I would have to go out of the poly world, or I think I would. As you posted elsewhere, time does become the enemy.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9287784

Virginarose, have fun in your daylily adventures. It will become an addiction, but a good one. I always say there are worse things I could be addicted to.

Daylilyoma, I wish you well, and will keep you in thoughts and prayers. God willing, you will have plenty of years ahead of you to enjoy daylilies and other things. Hopefully you can get an AHS membership again soon.

Karen

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9287814

I didn't get a chance to post this pic of my daylilies from Bobby. I put a dog food can in for size comparison. They look awesome!

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #9287972

wow, they do look good.

Daylilyoma...may God will you next spring, and many more. We have many survivors amongst the daves family.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 27, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9288347

Thank you Mike, Best wishes for your 'Chief Four Fingers', I have a bud on my 'Mango Nectar', just planted it two weeks ago!

Karen, I am already hopelessly addicted. You have some very nice daylilies from Bobby! What did you get?? :)

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9288444

Thanks! Most of them I got more than 2 fans. All except for one. Here's what I got:

I HAVE ISSUES
GOT NO GOAT
OLD TERMITE
TIME AND DIMENSION
A MOOSE FISHING ON A POND ON MONDAY

Karen

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 28, 2012
1:29 AM

Post #9288556

Those are nice! I especially like I HAVE ISSUES. Soooooo pretty!

susan

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9289303

Yes, I'm drooling over that one. My roommate Gretchen wanted to go half and half with me to buy it, but turns out I got it as a bonus. Good deal!

Karen
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

September 28, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9289337

Wow Karen! I might have to check his website again. Those are as large as the ones I usually get from Bob at BlueRidge.

My biggest problem is space.
Linda

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 29, 2012
2:52 AM

Post #9289609

I purchased a lot of Daylilies from Bob at BlueRidge and Sara at Daylilies by the Pond, but most of mine came from Maryott's, wow! Talk about big and the bonuses were spectacular. I got three different daylilies that were listed for 100.00 each, and one listed for 90.00. RACHELLE AGIN, ARTISTICALLY ENGRAVED, PARTITA, & COMMING ALIVE.

Thumbnail by virginiarose

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9289667

I don't have a lot of space either Linda. I have to get rid of older ones in order to get any newer ones. I take a lot of my older ones up to northern Michigan to my small cottage but they don't do very well there because its a lot colder.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9290425

Very nice, virginiarose! I have ordered from Maryott's myself in the past, and yes, they send great plants. Another good place to order from is Brown's Ferry Gardens. And I have also gotten great plants from Jim Murphy and Margo Reed at Woodhenge Gardens. I love their daylilies.

A friend buys a lot from Sterrett in Virginia and another place in NY, whose name escapes me right now.

Karen
DitchLily206
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 30, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9291221

I think you will like A Moose Fishing On A Pond On Monday. Love the name!

Here it is in my garden.

Thumbnail by DitchLily206   Thumbnail by DitchLily206   Thumbnail by DitchLily206      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

DaylilyOma
Harrod, OH

September 30, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9291444

Very pretty! Happy you can still have blooms.
I do miss my garden.
Happy blooms! DaylilyOma

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

September 30, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9291455

Thank's Karen, I almost ordered from Brown's, never heard of Woodhenge Gardens. I will check them out. I do not live too far from Sterrett's they have a huge selection and always good price. I like to get advice from them because they are in my zone.

DitchLily, I love the daylily, 'A Moose Fishing On A Pond On Monday'!!
DitchLily206
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 30, 2012
8:48 PM

Post #9291597

It blooms well. Sorry if there was confusion. Those are not current blooms. Wish they were :-/

The only other Baxter flower I have is Resistance Is Futile. This is from 5-6

Thumbnail by DitchLily206

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2012
9:01 PM

Post #9291604

Ditchlily, tanks for posting those pics of A Moose Fishing On A Pond On Monday. Bobby has a lot of nice pics of it on his website, too. That Resistance Is Futile is gorgeous! it's on my wish list.

Karen
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #9292134

Laura, love those Moose. Good to see you too.
NC_Daylily
Wake Forest, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9293357

Awesome pictures of the moose fishing Thanks for posting!!!

~Bobby

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daylilies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What do I do with the day lilies now? JSS 12 Oct 10, 2009 4:51 PM
Scented daylilies?? philomel 26 Feb 5, 2008 6:00 AM
Potted Daylilies CountryGardens 10 Jan 18, 2008 4:28 AM
Late Season Rebloomers pins2006 12 Aug 3, 2007 12:38 PM
Metal markers suppliers? bluegrassmom 63 Mar 12, 2008 11:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America