Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Garden Pests and Diseases: Milkweed Bugs everywhere!

Communities > Forums > Garden Pests and Diseases
bookmark
Forum: Garden Pests and DiseasesReplies: 7, Views: 65
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
1alh1
Sidney, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 29, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9258768

I have quite a few asclepias and a large, flowering catmint that have been doing quite well until last week. Milkweed bugs appeared, as usual, on the butterfly weed, but not in large enough numbers to warrant concern. Now, however, they've multiplied to the point where THOUSANDS of them are crawling, flying, and mating on the asclepias, the catmint, and on other flowers and shrubs everywhere. The bees and butterflies don't stand a chance against this army, and I haven't used insecticides because I didn't want to harm the good guys and gals. There are WAY too many milkweed bugs to squish, so what can I do to slow down their invasion short of cutting back the plants?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 3, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9263209

Noticed Ohio was planting tons of milkweeds in the hwy medians, always thot it silly since it draws so many hari kari bugs to the traveling cars, you do need a way - but it's almost impossible to pick and choose bugs like you do plants- feeds on grains (seeds) of the plants, we do have way too many bugs this year. Do you wish to save plants or grow bugs? Good luck, I would kill the bugs, and hope the butterfly's return nex year,
1alh1
Sidney, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9265281

Thanks for your input. I've been spraying and cutting off seedpods, so hopefully, the milkweed bug population will be reduced, but the bees, butterflies, and soldier beetles will still have a chance.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 4, 2012
10:25 PM

Post #9265378

Thats an idea, good thinking
RobSand
Richmond, VA

September 7, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9268447

I am glad to know that others are dealing with butterfly weed bug problems as I have had them too. The plants were also infested with aphids and ants were working the aphids. I have not sprayed for the same reason you name, and I, too, cut off the seed pods. I think I have lost one or two plants out of a border of 18.
I have another garden pest which I would like someone to speak to: raspberry fruitworms! The everbearing plants produce berries until frost. This is the first time I have had a serious infestation and I am wondering what to do.
Nobody wants to eat raspberries with tiny little white worms or eat raspberries that have been sprayed with insecticide. Right now, my plan is to take off the nets, no little operation, and let the birds (nature) devour the berries and the worms! I have bought some spray, but it cautions one not to spray if there are flowers because it is toxic to bees. What do you suggest?
Rob Sandford, Richmond, VA
1alh1
Sidney, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 8, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9269166

I had a similar problem several years ago, except mine were covered with Asian Lady Beetles. Even the birds wouldn't eat them. I cut down entire plants, sprayed the area with Sevin, and let them grow back the following year. It was painful, but the next year's plants thanked me. If I had to do it again, I'd spray with Sevin in mid-spring and again just before the blossoms open. This year's raspberries have not been plagued by insects, although the drought has taken its toll on their overall health and the size and number of berries. Try posting your question on the fruit forum to see what other experienced gardeners suggest.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #9274240

1alh1, many gardeners use a container of soapy water to control Milkweed bugs. Shake the bugs off the plant into the container and they die... I use an ice cream bucket filled with warm soapy water as the opening is larger...if there are large collections on the seed pods, I dunk the whole thing over into the bucket...afterwards, I give the plant a quick rinse with the hose. I have used this method to kill dozens of them at once.
1alh1
Sidney, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9275199

Thanks. I'll have to remember that next time. The dunking method would work best since they never seem to knock off. They just crawl down the stem.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Pests and Diseases Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hollyhock Rust ??? snuggles 8 Feb 25, 2008 1:41 PM
Pests: Calling all slug experts! (Not for the faint of heart) candleberry 162 Jun 18, 2014 7:41 AM
PROOF that milk kills mildew Wintermoor 26 Jun 26, 2007 4:54 PM
These ants are a bane Dinu 18 Nov 13, 2007 5:18 PM
Getting rid of yellow jackets ButterflyGardnr 23 Jun 18, 2009 2:34 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America