Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Annual Choice Trend

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I have noticed in the past four or five years there are less choices of annuals. First, it was the snapdragons. I can hardly find snaps in the big box stores. The only ones that are offered are the little, short, pixie ones. I have been able to catch a few at a mom and pop nursery, but they closed up shop this year. :( For the last couple of years, I have tried to grow my tall snapdragons from seed which for me, is really a hit and miss project. "Sometimes" my snaps re-seed, but I hate to take the chance and not have any. They are one of my favorite annuals.

The last two years, I have had trouble finding the plain, but fragrant and pretty dark purple petunias. They have lots of the light purples and pinks but not the dark purples. The dark purples are more fragrant.

And forget about finding something like Angelonia, Heiloptrope, Torenia and other less known annuals.

Has anyone else noticed this trend?

This thread has 49 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!