Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Carolina Gardening: Musa basjoo blooming

Communities > Forums > Carolina Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Carolina GardeningReplies: 12, Views: 113
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 30, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9259694

The flower isn't as pretty as my sister in law's Orinoco, but I'm still thrilled that my musa basjoo has one bloom so far.

Thumbnail by donnacreation   Thumbnail by donnacreation
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Entlie
New Bern, NC
(Zone 8a)

August 30, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9259803

Wow!
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 31, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #9260544

Wow indeed!
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 31, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9260844

Thanks. Although the flowers aren't as showy as Orinocos, I love the muted colors.
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9262653

Holy crap! That's one heck of a stand!
Barb
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 3, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9263502

I planted these bananas 5 years ago, and last winter they didn't completely die back, even with 3 nights @ 17f. Like just about everything in my yard, they were under ground vole attack last year. They definitely create a dramatic tropical look, even in my cold rural location. Also like that they don't need w/winter protection.-)
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 3, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9263638

My son recently purchased a home in Asheville and the previous owner had planted M basjoos beside the front door. They ahd obviously been there for several years as the clumps were huge before we whacked them back. One is underplanted with a japanese maple, canna, african mask ee and gladiolas. Good grief.

Thumbnail by ardesia
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9265056

Now that is impressive!
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9266278

Very impressive indeed! Proof that hey are very cold hardy, and they do grow incredibly fast. If you wanted quick summer shade, Barb, Musa basjoo's would really thrive in your microclimate, with lots of summer flowers/fruit.

Your son's home looks like a great summer get-away from the heat and humidity, ardesia. Hope you and your husband enjoy many trips up there. I love Christmas in Asheville!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9266764

LOL, they are fast growers, we found young ones all over the property that the previous owner must have transplanted at some point. They are growing on the west face of his home so hardiness is not an issue either. Now, if only we could figure out what she was on when she planted the weeping japanese maple, gladiolas, etc. underneath them. Not your typical combo at all. She had no sense of right plant, right place.
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2012
11:41 AM

Post #9267133

Speaking of right plant, right place, I've planted lots of 'stuff' too close together. I have 5 and 6 yr old pindo palms that already have 10'+ canopies growing in to neighboring trees and tall shrubs. I also need to move a couple pomegranite trees that have already outgrown their allotted space. Late next winter, I'm going to be transplanting and pruning like crazy. Oh how I wish I knew 6 yrs ago what I know now about proper spacing.

I love weeping japanese maples! Maybe your son could dig up and move some of the musa basjoo's so everybody can see and enjoy the japanese maple.

As far as what the previous owner was on when she planted such a hodgepodge, I'm guessing Appalachian herb. LOL!
Petey12
Kerrville, TX

May 3, 2013
2:08 PM

Post #9507007

What do these bananas taste like?

Could we call the previous owner a gardener? And could we give that owner some credit, since the plants are growing ?
Best Regards.
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2013
4:23 PM

Post #9507144

I never tasted the fruit because I've read it's grainy and not tasty. My sister in law is growing Orinoco bananas, which are edible and produce huge, beautiful, tropical looking flowers.

Kudos to all gardeners; whether naive or sophisticated, it's still an art.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America