SEPTEMBER part 1, WHAT are we working on??

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Yep, it's that time again a you CRAFTY people out there!! Time to share your beatiful pictures and inspire us! Let us ohh and aw... drool and wonder how you get so much done!!!

we came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1275487/

This message was edited Aug 31, 2012 10:32 PM

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm 1st!!!!!! I got 2 plates in the mail today!!!!

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Pat,it is Betty that made the quilt with the Christmas blocks. I believe Mittsy did too. I made place mats out of mine and donated them to the Senior Meals program here in town.

Yep, you were right- Betty.... BETTY, I wanna see pictures! LOL

Victoria Harbour, ON

Your community must just smile when they see you coming Barb..you are always doing something for the betterment of others!

Susan, you must be having a difficult day, tired/tired, because I made note several times, send you d-mail to show you my insert...I'm right on schedule!! lol Here's hoping you can have a quiet low key evening tonight to recoup!

Photo 1 - 2010-2011 Christwas 12.5 block exchange

Photo 2 - 2011 Red/White/Black 12.5 block exchange

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
(Susan) Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

difficult day, yes...... sometimes find it hard to concentrate....... sorry, didn't mean to miss your work on the center for the RR......
Sometimes seems nothing I do is right, so please bear with me.

I see you have even color coordinated the cat to go with your quilt!! Both quilts are wonderful and the cat is too cute, such a busy-body!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Was a long time ago Susan, I almost forgot I had done it lol

But then I rushed/rushed/rushed so I could send Barb's/Audrey's and mine in same envelope..

Was just before the Sistah's gathering and I had a zillion things to do and didn't want to put anyone behind.

Yes, color co-ordinated kitty..she's not on my good books tonight because she won't let me sew...have over 3/4 of a tote bag done this afternoon, could have finished it if not for her antics

Awwwwwwwww yes. When kitty is too naughty I shut her in her room!! I frequently have to shut her when we have company. There are certain woman, I dont know if it's their hair spray, she will NOT leave them alone!! LOL

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

working on another quilt for DD. this one is twin sized.

OK, there must be some "secret" or a special gene (that I don't have!) that helps people COMPLETE what they start and keeps SOME PEOPLE from having a huge overwhelming number of UFOs (Unlike me). My sister would tell me it's just my ADD in overdrive. She once held my tulip bulbs hostage until I completed an exam just to make sure I wasn't "distracted" by working in the garden!

Those of you with semi-managable piles of UFOs or, heaven forbid one project at a time, how do YOU do it?? Do most of you give up on project if you lose interest and don't think you'll ever complete it? Pass it on? Seriously, this is an area I need help in. I think I've been so intimidated by the "next step" that I rarely get things DONE!!

Put one foot in front of the other....and soon you'll be quilting all day long-ong-ong!!!! Intimidation is not an excuse any more. The worse thing that can happen is that you make a mistake. That's why we have those riippers and I use mine alllllll the time. Just be darn careful cutting!!! LOL

(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

My sentiments exactly Pat.

Barb, did I hear the voice of experience regarding "just be darn careful cutting!!!" LOL Haven't we all had oops using those rippers? I sure have.

Sure was Marion. That's why I learned to always buy a bit extra fabric when making a special project!!!!! A lot of my early stash was made up of ooops!!!

ROFLOL, well I so understand that!!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Great advise!

barb, do you think you will ever use up even 1/4 of your stash..

Darlene called tonight, seems she is ready to part with a few of Mike's things and will bring them over..saw a quilted shawl in one of my quilting books, thought maybe I can incorporate some of the fabric into one for her..either that or a throw.
Had bought wildlife fabric to make Mike a quilt for this Christmas, who would have known he'd die as he did...he sure loved wildlife .. any ideas as to what I can make would be appreciate.

OH ya... I've oopsed and cut things before. ONCE it was the dress I was wearing!!! hehehe

Betty, I made a rag quilt quilt from my brother's jeans for my DSIL. I used wildlife fabric combined with denium on the reverse side of the rag quilt and it was beautiful.

What about something for your sons?

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thanks for the suggestions...
Made Darlene and Mike rag quilts a few years ago and as for my boys, although they knew Mike they were away from home when I cultured their friendship..this project will be for Darlene, hoping her taking it to Florida whatever I make will keep her comfy in the memories of their life together.

Just finished tote, cutting out the matching wallet, don't have all the supplies I need but do have another tote cut and ready to sew..am glad I purchased additional fabric though.

It's a gorgeous day so between working in the gardens and coming in for a rest, I'll sew, like most of you sewing is resting!!!

The tote I just finished is for Jeff's better half Julie..she's just a wee little thing so made the tote a lot smaller..lots of inside pockets and a pull cord closure should she need it..will do this pattern again but have a few ideas how to make it a little less plain.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Pat, in answer to your question about how to keep focused, I'm not the best at it but did find the answer for me..

I've a blackboard in my craft room, I've jotted down all (those I could find) unfinished or want to be projects on the blackboard..I've challenged myself that I could N O T work on another until one was crossed off..so, finished the kitchen quilt piece - got to do a bag for Christmas gift..had 5 blackboards unfinished, they now have the chalk on them and will work on them here and there today , need crackle edging then I'll freehand a little design and they can be used, the mdf raw wood was on my shelf , needed to make them into something..once done then I can start working on a new project.

Was laughing, there in a corner is a half roll of linoleum, wondering how many floor matts they will make..another challenge

The game is fun and it's working for me..

Betty, I agree something should be made for Darlene with Mike's things. She may not want it now but we both know there comes a time it will be much comfort. Healing and grieving is so personal that we can't judge how long it takes someone. I finally got out Ross' ties for the first time in 7 years...deciding if I want to use them all for me or make something for our children.

I need to make me a board I can write my "do list" on, then maybe, just maybe I would do better.

Have a great day everyone.....don't labor to hard.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Marion, yes everyone goes through grieving process at different rates but go through same .. for awhile is numb, then anger, then you can't remember their voice, looks then the bad times are remembered, then they are heroes, the i can't get through the day to i can do anything, the wjy me, then why not me and on and on, but each in their own way the thoughts help with healing.

The ties would make a love quilt..saw it done .As you don't have a whole lot they could be incorporated into a pillow ..how about Dresden plate pillow, about the right size for cutting.

If you've got that craft room ready go to home depot and purchase blackboard paint, paint a square on the wall and trim like a window..Lordy, I've even painted kitchen cupboard doors so I can make notes rather than paper which I misplace..

Betty - wonderfully loving idea to do a quilt "something" for Darlene from Mike's stuff.... she'll treasure it, I'm sure :-)
Marion - what would you make with Ross' ties?

Okay, have to put aside my UFOs to go and buy a blackboard LOL Seriously, I do have a whiteboard and eraseable markers, but it's on the "foot" of my sewing machine table and I can only see/use it when my table is closed up, so that's no good lol I'll have to take it off and put it at an accessible/see-able spot....... Yup, have to put off my UFOs until I can do that lol
But.......it all has to wait until Bob has finished repairing the wall, and it's repainted lol The room is Such a mess.... can't do anything but use my computer - he can't even use his cuz it's in the center of the room, and everything else is on my side of the room lol
Betty - that idea about painting the wall with blackboard paint is a great one! I used to do that in the kid's rooms - and that was maaaaaa-any years ago!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Marion, maybe you could get ties from family and incorporate the all into a memory quilt for someone special in your family that would appreciate the gesture

If you scroll down this quilting site you will see the video on ties
http://www.justhands-on.tv/videos/category/4/

LOL, Betty I have oodles of ties. Ross wore one everyday unless he was "in the field" and I do believe he never threw one away. I was thinking of doing something for myself and for our son and daughter. Thinking pillow tops right now.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Please forgive me if I don't seem social. You all seem to have forged old and fast friendships while I am just getting to know your names. It's hard to second guess all the history that goes with those friendships.

I have finished hand quilting the first of the two pillow shams and the second is about one third done. Need to share photos, I know. I am trying to stop on the sham project, and not finish, because I need a travel project in the near future. I cleaned up and trimmed out the temporary borders of two table toppers from DD's wedding weekend today. Time to think about that wedding quilt. I figured out a way to make a king quilt from four tops, as opposed to nine. Maybe now I can make one for us and have leftovers for future grands (from my lips to heaven). I bought a boat load of Warm and Natural today and found a primary fabric to incorporate into the backing. Over coffee this morning, and while luxuriating in a few hours off, I designed a quilting frame that could potentially sit on my Japanese embroidery frame. I have one at each house so that would make the work portable. The work is much better on the back side if the piece is on a frame ('cause stitches often slip the back stitch on the way up) though I love the luxury of sitting on the sofa and stitching. I handed the drawing to SO and, while I was buying backing and batting, he bought wood to build a new frame. I'm not sure my design will work, but this is where I am going with the quilt...I am making the quilt in four sections with a pieced sashing between the four sections (that already have borders) equal to one block (8"). Okay, I know photos will be required.

Laurel, can't wait to see your photos of work in progress!!! I know what you mean about trying to keep a travel project. I have a KING size jeans quilt in the works for my neice & husband. It's going to be a simple tied quilt. When she asked for it, I said "ARE you SURE?? It will weigh a TON!!!" She said they fight over the twin size jean quilt and really like the weight.

It was already queen size so I'm just adding a border of wide strip of black jeans and I'll fuse and applique constrasting purple hearts to the border ONLY. I'm hoping I can have it ready to take with me on a business trip in a week. This way I can work on a project and NOT take my sewing machine. I'd like to take something more portable and SMALLER but ...

A simple trick to keep all the names straight is to create a list of screen names with name. Some of us have added our name with the city to make it easier.

Pat, I am both a working R.N. consultant and a professional caterer. I occasionally envy friends with desk jobs who are able to handle list making that is not job related. My a.m. hours are relegated to endless lists of what I need to do for work. I am an elephant when it comes to remembering people and what they are about though. :)

Victoria Harbour, ON

Laurel, not anti-social in the least..strangers are only friends we've not yet met!
Glad to meet your acquaintance.

I've had the opportunity to meet many dg friends and guess just get carried away with nonsense chat..pls excuse

Look forward to seeing your works of art..I'm lucky enough to work in a family business which affords me 4 or 5 hours a day to play and chat

Laurel - I hang out here quite a bit and will admit I don't know most "real" names. And I do have a list - somewhere.

I don't have to tell you all you are a very kind group of people. Thanks so much for the open arms. I did want to ask a question about asking questions. If I have a question should I ask here, on the warm and fuzzy thread, or should I start a separate thread? I think I will have a pile of questions as I proceed with this wedding quiltand I could ask them all on a separate thread. You see, what I call quilting is really stitching. I know a lot about stitching but little about what you all call quilting.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Likely we can learn from each other..

I'm easy to remember as per my dg name, they call me Betty but not sure what others may call me.

Calling it a night, almost done 2 nd tote today and have 5 blackboards ready to add freehand painting to..much achieved this weekend..

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

Laurel, I'm an old new comer to the group. Most of these were here when I accidentally found my way here. I made a list of every ones screen name as I "met" them and then added their real names as I learned them. As for asking questions, ask just anywhere then if it looks like it is going to become really involved, we can always move it to a new thread. We do tend at times to go off topic and nobody seems to get upset about it. Sooner or later we get back to the subject at hand. Everyone here is most welcoming.

Hi again, Laurel - it has been awhile since I saw you post. Was it on this thread, or another? Anyway, I know I was on a thread when you posted lol
Ask any question you like. As Karen (siliolegma) said - if it gets more involved, it can be changed to a new thread. No problems at all. Yes, some of us have been here awhile, but every once in awhile several new people come on here and I have trouble keeping up with names lol Anywhooooooo I'm Really glad to see you again.

Susan

Laurel, you might be responses quicker on this thread than starting a whole new one. Although you woudn't have to sort thru other chat to get your answers... that is until we all started chatting on your wedding quilt thread! and trust me, THAT would happen!

Laurel - Feel free to start a topic thread. If you let us know here, we will find it sooner.

Looking forward to seeing the pics of what you have.

I still need to make my way to Apopka!!!!!! Maybe now that the weather is cooler I'll be more motivated. I'll be up in MD when the Nat'l Capital Orchid Show is on and do plan to attend.

Laurel, all I can say is "ditto" to all the other comments. We certainly understand your busy schedule.....Pat is one who has another schedule that keeps her busy. However, we love newcomers . Waiting to see the pictures of your project.

Well, here are a few table topper phone photos. The first photo shows a finished topper mocked up. the sixteen 8" squares got wide double borders that were intended to be cut down. The ones on the floor have not received their second border. I am now in the process of cutting the borders so that the cornerstones are 2 1/4" squares. More in scale with the pieces in the squares.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Victoria Harbour, ON

That is one tremendous amount of sewing Laurel..great way to use up fabric in your favorite block design..beautiful!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.