Photo by Melody

Sewing and Quilting: SEPTEMBER part 1, WHAT are we working on??

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 267, Views: 1,480
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 31, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9260750

Yep, it's that time again a you CRAFTY people out there!! Time to share your beatiful pictures and inspire us! Let us ohh and aw... drool and wonder how you get so much done!!!

we came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1275487/

This message was edited Aug 31, 2012 10:32 PM
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 31, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9260753

I'm 1st!!!!!! I got 2 plates in the mail today!!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9260778

Pat,it is Betty that made the quilt with the Christmas blocks. I believe Mittsy did too. I made place mats out of mine and donated them to the Senior Meals program here in town.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 31, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9260792

Yep, you were right- Betty... BETTY, I wanna see pictures! LOL

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 31, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9260816

Your community must just smile when they see you coming Barb..you are always doing something for the betterment of others!

Susan, you must be having a difficult day, tired/tired, because I made note several times, send you d-mail to show you my insert...I'm right on schedule!! lol Here's hoping you can have a quiet low key evening tonight to recoup!

Photo 1 - 2010-2011 Christwas 12.5 block exchange

Photo 2 - 2011 Red/White/Black 12.5 block exchange

Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 31, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9260837

difficult day, yes... sometimes find it hard to concentrate... sorry, didn't mean to miss your work on the center for the RR...
Sometimes seems nothing I do is right, so please bear with me.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 31, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9260847

I see you have even color coordinated the cat to go with your quilt!! Both quilts are wonderful and the cat is too cute, such a busy-body!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 31, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9260852

Was a long time ago Susan, I almost forgot I had done it lol

But then I rushed/rushed/rushed so I could send Barb's/Audrey's and mine in same envelope..

Was just before the Sistah's gathering and I had a zillion things to do and didn't want to put anyone behind.

Yes, color co-ordinated kitty..she's not on my good books tonight because she won't let me sew...have over 3/4 of a tote bag done this afternoon, could have finished it if not for her antics

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 31, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9260883

Awwwwwwwww yes. When kitty is too naughty I shut her in her room!! I frequently have to shut her when we have company. There are certain woman, I dont know if it's their hair spray, she will NOT leave them alone!! LOL

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 1, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9261919

working on another quilt for DD. this one is twin sized.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 2, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9262605

OK, there must be some "secret" or a special gene (that I don't have!) that helps people COMPLETE what they start and keeps SOME PEOPLE from having a huge overwhelming number of UFOs (Unlike me). My sister would tell me it's just my ADD in overdrive. She once held my tulip bulbs hostage until I completed an exam just to make sure I wasn't "distracted" by working in the garden!

Those of you with semi-managable piles of UFOs or, heaven forbid one project at a time, how do YOU do it?? Do most of you give up on project if you lose interest and don't think you'll ever complete it? Pass it on? Seriously, this is an area I need help in. I think I've been so intimidated by the "next step" that I rarely get things DONE!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9262677

Put one foot in front of the other...and soon you'll be quilting all day long-ong-ong!!!! Intimidation is not an excuse any more. The worse thing that can happen is that you make a mistake. That's why we have those riippers and I use mine alllllll the time. Just be darn careful cutting!!! LOL
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9262684

My sentiments exactly Pat.

Barb, did I hear the voice of experience regarding "just be darn careful cutting!!!" LOL Haven't we all had oops using those rippers? I sure have.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9262690

Sure was Marion. That's why I learned to always buy a bit extra fabric when making a special project!!!!! A lot of my early stash was made up of ooops!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9262701

ROFLOL, well I so understand that!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 2, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9262708

Great advise!

barb, do you think you will ever use up even 1/4 of your stash..

Darlene called tonight, seems she is ready to part with a few of Mike's things and will bring them over..saw a quilted shawl in one of my quilting books, thought maybe I can incorporate some of the fabric into one for her..either that or a throw.
Had bought wildlife fabric to make Mike a quilt for this Christmas, who would have known he'd die as he did...he sure loved wildlife .. any ideas as to what I can make would be appreciate.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 2, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9262734

OH ya... I've oopsed and cut things before. ONCE it was the dress I was wearing!!! hehehe

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 2, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9262736

Betty, I made a rag quilt quilt from my brother's jeans for my DSIL. I used wildlife fabric combined with denium on the reverse side of the rag quilt and it was beautiful.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2012
3:42 AM

Post #9263011

What about something for your sons?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 3, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9263191

Thanks for the suggestions...
Made Darlene and Mike rag quilts a few years ago and as for my boys, although they knew Mike they were away from home when I cultured their friendship..this project will be for Darlene, hoping her taking it to Florida whatever I make will keep her comfy in the memories of their life together.

Just finished tote, cutting out the matching wallet, don't have all the supplies I need but do have another tote cut and ready to sew..am glad I purchased additional fabric though.

It's a gorgeous day so between working in the gardens and coming in for a rest, I'll sew, like most of you sewing is resting!!!

The tote I just finished is for Jeff's better half Julie..she's just a wee little thing so made the tote a lot smaller..lots of inside pockets and a pull cord closure should she need it..will do this pattern again but have a few ideas how to make it a little less plain.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 3, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9263196

Pat, in answer to your question about how to keep focused, I'm not the best at it but did find the answer for me..

I've a blackboard in my craft room, I've jotted down all (those I could find) unfinished or want to be projects on the blackboard..I've challenged myself that I could N O T work on another until one was crossed off..so, finished the kitchen quilt piece - got to do a bag for Christmas gift..had 5 blackboards unfinished, they now have the chalk on them and will work on them here and there today , need crackle edging then I'll freehand a little design and they can be used, the mdf raw wood was on my shelf , needed to make them into something..once done then I can start working on a new project.

Was laughing, there in a corner is a half roll of linoleum, wondering how many floor matts they will make..another challenge

The game is fun and it's working for me..

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 3, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9263231

Betty, I agree something should be made for Darlene with Mike's things. She may not want it now but we both know there comes a time it will be much comfort. Healing and grieving is so personal that we can't judge how long it takes someone. I finally got out Ross' ties for the first time in 7 years...deciding if I want to use them all for me or make something for our children.

I need to make me a board I can write my "do list" on, then maybe, just maybe I would do better.

Have a great day everyone...don't labor to hard.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 3, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9263249

Marion, yes everyone goes through grieving process at different rates but go through same .. for awhile is numb, then anger, then you can't remember their voice, looks then the bad times are remembered, then they are heroes, the i can't get through the day to i can do anything, the wjy me, then why not me and on and on, but each in their own way the thoughts help with healing.

The ties would make a love quilt..saw it done .As you don't have a whole lot they could be incorporated into a pillow ..how about Dresden plate pillow, about the right size for cutting.

If you've got that craft room ready go to home depot and purchase blackboard paint, paint a square on the wall and trim like a window..Lordy, I've even painted kitchen cupboard doors so I can make notes rather than paper which I misplace..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 3, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9263286

Betty - wonderfully loving idea to do a quilt "something" for Darlene from Mike's stuff... she'll treasure it, I'm sure :-)
Marion - what would you make with Ross' ties?

Okay, have to put aside my UFOs to go and buy a blackboard LOL Seriously, I do have a whiteboard and eraseable markers, but it's on the "foot" of my sewing machine table and I can only see/use it when my table is closed up, so that's no good lol I'll have to take it off and put it at an accessible/see-able spot... Yup, have to put off my UFOs until I can do that lol
But...it all has to wait until Bob has finished repairing the wall, and it's repainted lol The room is Such a mess... can't do anything but use my computer - he can't even use his cuz it's in the center of the room, and everything else is on my side of the room lol
Betty - that idea about painting the wall with blackboard paint is a great one! I used to do that in the kid's rooms - and that was maaaaaa-any years ago!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 3, 2012
10:18 AM

Post #9263362

Marion, maybe you could get ties from family and incorporate the all into a memory quilt for someone special in your family that would appreciate the gesture

If you scroll down this quilting site you will see the video on ties
http://www.justhands-on.tv/videos/category/4/
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 3, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9263404

LOL, Betty I have oodles of ties. Ross wore one everyday unless he was "in the field" and I do believe he never threw one away. I was thinking of doing something for myself and for our son and daughter. Thinking pillow tops right now.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 3, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9263818

Please forgive me if I don't seem social. You all seem to have forged old and fast friendships while I am just getting to know your names. It's hard to second guess all the history that goes with those friendships.

I have finished hand quilting the first of the two pillow shams and the second is about one third done. Need to share photos, I know. I am trying to stop on the sham project, and not finish, because I need a travel project in the near future. I cleaned up and trimmed out the temporary borders of two table toppers from DD's wedding weekend today. Time to think about that wedding quilt. I figured out a way to make a king quilt from four tops, as opposed to nine. Maybe now I can make one for us and have leftovers for future grands (from my lips to heaven). I bought a boat load of Warm and Natural today and found a primary fabric to incorporate into the backing. Over coffee this morning, and while luxuriating in a few hours off, I designed a quilting frame that could potentially sit on my Japanese embroidery frame. I have one at each house so that would make the work portable. The work is much better on the back side if the piece is on a frame ('cause stitches often slip the back stitch on the way up) though I love the luxury of sitting on the sofa and stitching. I handed the drawing to SO and, while I was buying backing and batting, he bought wood to build a new frame. I'm not sure my design will work, but this is where I am going with the quilt...I am making the quilt in four sections with a pieced sashing between the four sections (that already have borders) equal to one block (8"). Okay, I know photos will be required.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9263831

Laurel, can't wait to see your photos of work in progress!!! I know what you mean about trying to keep a travel project. I have a KING size jeans quilt in the works for my neice & husband. It's going to be a simple tied quilt. When she asked for it, I said "ARE you SURE?? It will weigh a TON!!!" She said they fight over the twin size jean quilt and really like the weight.

It was already queen size so I'm just adding a border of wide strip of black jeans and I'll fuse and applique constrasting purple hearts to the border ONLY. I'm hoping I can have it ready to take with me on a business trip in a week. This way I can work on a project and NOT take my sewing machine. I'd like to take something more portable and SMALLER but ...

A simple trick to keep all the names straight is to create a list of screen names with name. Some of us have added our name with the city to make it easier.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 3, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9263851

Pat, I am both a working R.N. consultant and a professional caterer. I occasionally envy friends with desk jobs who are able to handle list making that is not job related. My a.m. hours are relegated to endless lists of what I need to do for work. I am an elephant when it comes to remembering people and what they are about though. :)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 3, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9263862

Laurel, not anti-social in the least..strangers are only friends we've not yet met!
Glad to meet your acquaintance.

I've had the opportunity to meet many dg friends and guess just get carried away with nonsense chat..pls excuse

Look forward to seeing your works of art..I'm lucky enough to work in a family business which affords me 4 or 5 hours a day to play and chat
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 3, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9263872

Laurel - I hang out here quite a bit and will admit I don't know most "real" names. And I do have a list - somewhere.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 3, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9263885

I don't have to tell you all you are a very kind group of people. Thanks so much for the open arms. I did want to ask a question about asking questions. If I have a question should I ask here, on the warm and fuzzy thread, or should I start a separate thread? I think I will have a pile of questions as I proceed with this wedding quiltand I could ask them all on a separate thread. You see, what I call quilting is really stitching. I know a lot about stitching but little about what you all call quilting.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 3, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9263903

Likely we can learn from each other..

I'm easy to remember as per my dg name, they call me Betty but not sure what others may call me.

Calling it a night, almost done 2 nd tote today and have 5 blackboards ready to add freehand painting to..much achieved this weekend..

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

September 3, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9264008

Laurel, I'm an old new comer to the group. Most of these were here when I accidentally found my way here. I made a list of every ones screen name as I "met" them and then added their real names as I learned them. As for asking questions, ask just anywhere then if it looks like it is going to become really involved, we can always move it to a new thread. We do tend at times to go off topic and nobody seems to get upset about it. Sooner or later we get back to the subject at hand. Everyone here is most welcoming.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 3, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9264086

Hi again, Laurel - it has been awhile since I saw you post. Was it on this thread, or another? Anyway, I know I was on a thread when you posted lol
Ask any question you like. As Karen (siliolegma) said - if it gets more involved, it can be changed to a new thread. No problems at all. Yes, some of us have been here awhile, but every once in awhile several new people come on here and I have trouble keeping up with names lol Anywhooooooo I'm Really glad to see you again.

Susan

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9264096

Laurel, you might be responses quicker on this thread than starting a whole new one. Although you woudn't have to sort thru other chat to get your answers... that is until we all started chatting on your wedding quilt thread! and trust me, THAT would happen!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2012
3:58 AM

Post #9264247

Laurel - Feel free to start a topic thread. If you let us know here, we will find it sooner.

Looking forward to seeing the pics of what you have.

I still need to make my way to Apopka!!!!!! Maybe now that the weather is cooler I'll be more motivated. I'll be up in MD when the Nat'l Capital Orchid Show is on and do plan to attend.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 4, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9264339

Laurel, all I can say is "ditto" to all the other comments. We certainly understand your busy schedule...Pat is one who has another schedule that keeps her busy. However, we love newcomers . Waiting to see the pictures of your project.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 4, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9264395

Well, here are a few table topper phone photos. The first photo shows a finished topper mocked up. the sixteen 8" squares got wide double borders that were intended to be cut down. The ones on the floor have not received their second border. I am now in the process of cutting the borders so that the cornerstones are 2 1/4" squares. More in scale with the pieces in the squares.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 4, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9264397

That is one tremendous amount of sewing Laurel..great way to use up fabric in your favorite block design..beautiful!!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

September 4, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9264398

Thanks Laurel, these are going to be so pretty, keep the photos coming.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 4, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9264400

The first photo here is of the Amish quilt and the pillow sham. I have quilts for three seasons and this one is my winter quilt. The second photo is before it was finished being stitched and the last is the finished stitching.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel      

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 4, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9264401

Enjoying your works of art!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 4, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9264410

Thank you. Now off to work!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 4, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9264412

Beautiful work Laurel...thanks for posting.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 4, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9264534

oh Laurel... love that Amish Quilt! In fact, everything looks beautiful and a big "well-done" to you!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9264535

WOW!!! Those are wonderful Laurel. You do beautiful work. Sometimes it can be the simplest pattern that shows off the fabrics best and I think that is what you have done. Great job.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9264574

Nice...very nice. I love the quilted circles with the square blocks.
The first one is something Ive always wanted to make, maybe one day, Where there is life there is hope.. ;-).
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 4, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9264953

In the name of full disclosure (I didn't intend to mislead) the Amish bed quilt is exactly that, an Amish made quilt. It's a glorious piece of handwork for sure. Would that it be mine. It's a king and was acquired in Lancaster years ago. I have a Mennonite one for autumn and a traditional Appalachian version of wedding rings for spring/summer. The quilts are rotated and the two not in use are hung in the old children's nursery. They were also hung there when the children were babies because the walls are high and we wanted our babies to have beautiful art to look at. :) The wedding rings quilt was a 25th anniversary gift from SO. I do have quilts around my house that are my work. They were entered several years ago in the annual virtual fair. Somehow I got distracted from needle work. I know some people sew and quilt to relax but I can't stitch when life is stressful. Getting back to it is a good thing.

I got the backing, batting and top prepped for the first table topper. SO says he has to drill holes in the rollers for the pins. I need to add to my hand quilting thread stash. Geez...four bucks a spool for Gutterman cotton! When did that happen?

I'm getting to know names and stories slowly. I know you need a carry along project Pat, what with your course coming up. Good luck finding a driving buddy. The denim king quilt project reminded me of the Victorian velvet tied quilt I made when dinosaurs roamed the earth. That would be early '70s.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 4, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9265014

laurel, bought a spool. 1,000 and was $7.50

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 4, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9265016

Playing tv bingo and thinking I'd rather be sewing..you all have me energized!
Busy working on tote bag since I got home, looked at the clock, oops, almost past first game. Lol. That's ok never win anyway.

My girlfriend comes over, forgot she wasn't coming tonight so playing her cards and mine.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 4, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9265088

Managed to finish the 2nd tote tonight..scratch another project off the blackboard..now able to start a new one

Inside are large pockets and fabric closure...green/brown one was done with left over fabric found in a corner..wouldn't mind finding more

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 4, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9265116

Laurel, regardless of who made the quilt, the Amish quilt is beautiful. I have Amish heritage (as well as Scottish and English - what a combo, eh? lol)

Betty - good for you!! The totes are beautiful!

ok everyone - you'll Never Guess what Bob & I bought today... I felt called upon by God to buy it...
wait for it...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 4, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9265119

Ok Susan, I feel like that joke "do you know how to keep an old person in suspense?"

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 4, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9265125

Laurel, I had the perfect project but it won't be ready in time!!! My neice wants her twin size denium quilt repaired, it needs a new backing. She won't have the fabric bought in time unfortunately. She is supposed to have the king size backing prewashed and ironed, ready for my husband to pick up on Thursday when he's in "town" (50 miles away).

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 4, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9265127

Oh Pat... I'm no good at keeping secrets...of this kind anyway.
It may not excite anyone else, but we're happy and excited!
We bought a used Motorhome from a church friend of ours. His wife passed this May, and he's not going camping anymore. So, we get it for very little, but also help out a church friend.
As soon as we get the parking spot in our park, we can move it there! Then of course insure it and get it safe-tied.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 4, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9265130

That's great Susan, I hope you enjoy it completely!! We found that my parent's motorhome came in handy even as a guest room! I know people who have lost power in their home but had a generator with their motorhome and simply "Moved in" for a short time.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 4, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9265134

hey, if we decide to move back to Winnipeg, we can live in the motorhome! It's a Winnebego Brave, 1974, 20ft motorhome
http://ballew.org/winnebago/74Brave.html

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

September 4, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9265261

Wow sounds very nice. We used to be able to borrow a friends 24' GMC. It was great for a large group of us to go to WV for my granddads funeral. We also used it to take my grandparents on short trips. it was so easy for them to travel in it.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 4, 2012
9:01 PM

Post #9265303

and it's a 20ft for just the two of us! There's a couch at one end it makes into a bed. The table would too, but we won't use it as anything But a table. He's giving his colour tv, microwave and new-ish Danby fridge/freezer. It has a 3 burner stove and oven too! It also has a/c, TV antenna, 2 propane tanks, 2 gas tanks, and hot water on-demand.
It's been kept in good condition. Thing is, we knew them as a couple, and they took care of their stuff. I don't know if they bought it new, but they only went on short trips so it doesn't have a lot of mileage - 55,000 miles for usage of 38 years!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9266144

I finished my quilt top today. Just need to find the perfect backing, get it quilted and then put the binding on!!!

Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 5, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9266162

Omg Barb, what a beauty..will your backing be one of the fabrics used in the quilt?
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 5, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9266235

Very nice, Barb. It looks so perfectly pieced. Will you quilt it?

Betty, about the Gutterman...I think you mean the machine cotton is $7.99 for 1,000m. I need glaced hand quilting thread. Have only seen it in 200m lengths.

Susan, your new purchase sounds so exciting. Hope photos are on the way. What are your log range plans? Will it be stationary?

The first topper went on the new frame today. That explanation minimizes the hours and frustration it took to align everything. The frame design is fine. I was not prepared for the differences in mounting and stretching. Adjustments had to be made. I started to quilt. The stitches are much closer than the lap shams though I like that you can clearly see the sham stitches. Though I grew up on Miami Beach, not Bird In Hand, sitting at the frame seems very primeval. We went to a re-enactment village in Virginia several years ago. They had a flat frame with a quilt in progress and when I started asking questions I was invited to sit. Couldn't leave. Thought my guy was going to abandon me there. lol

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 5, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9266246

Laurel - it won't be stationary (it's a camper), cuz we go camping alot... nice thing that this has a battery and can use electricity up to 15 volts. Any more than that, you'd have to plug in at a campground power site. I understand it won't work for heaters on the battery, but there are always propane heaters! And if you use enough bedding it won't matter anyway lol
Most of the places we camp have space for RVs
Once we have it in our possession, we'll take pictures. Peter wants to clear it out of his stuff first. He's leaving all the camping stuff, but there are personal things he's keeping of course.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 5, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9266281

Susan, sounds like lots of fun. I've never gone camping in a camper. We've done a lot of tent camping. I have spent years on sail boats and think that must be similar to being in a camper. Aren't you supposed to be ice fishing up there? Do you have a wish list of places to visit? I'd like to know where. I have been to Calgary, Banff and areas around. There is/was a shoe store in Calgary that's one of my favorites in the world.

We have hosted RU's for several years. Sometimes our guests come in campers and stay nearby. They are able to bring pets and projects. Very convenient.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

September 6, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9266789

Barb, a very happy birthday to you.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 6, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9266795

Happy birthday Barb..

At work cutting out 2 wallets to go with the totes I made over the weekend.

Great way to fill my day..think I'll go see where I stored the lightweight sewing machine and bring it in next week..make my work week a sewing week..
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 6, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9266807

I would sing but not really a good idea...sending birthday wishes for a wonderful, relaxing, stress free birthday. Go buy some fabric...always a great birthday gift.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9266819

Barb, happy birthday, happy birthday, happy birthday to you, happy birthday ,happy birthday, happy birthday to you, (You'll just have to imagine it to the tune Yankee Doodle)
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9266825

A very happy birthday to you Barb. Fabric and food, I could call that a celebration. May you have a great one, no matter what 'treats' you pick.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2012
7:16 AM

Post #9266842

Happy B-Day Barb. Did Norm bake you a cake?????

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 6, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9266888

♫Happy Birthday♪ Barb!!! ♫

Laurel - there are Tons of places to camp in southern Alberta!! Just think Kananaskis... and Waterton, and Sylvan Lake... I could go on and on... camping in the foothills and mountains, plus the open forestry in central Alberta!!
We usually go SouthWest Alberta, to Pincher Creek. Now that we don't have to hold ourselves to tenting, we can camp earlier and later in the season, too.
Will need to see about selling the tenting stuff - some of it 1 year old, and others are new this year... tent, stove, oven, etc, etc...

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2012

Post #9266975

Happy Birthday Barb!

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9267028

Happy Birthday, Barb!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9267029

Marion, you could sing to Barb anyway... from here it sounds great!!! 8-)

Lovely quilt, Barb, really like those colors! Watched an Irish Chain video this morning, using 5.5" squares, 2 borders, then 'birthed' it and tied it (kid's quilt) instead of quilt/bind.. cute idea. Got a baby shower coming up in 2 weeks...(surprise) and may just have to do something similar, although it won't be a tied quilt. Diagonal straight line machine quilting will work, me thinks.

Pat, too bad I wasn't closer, I'd volunteer to be your driver just to go along!!! LOL

Susan, you could always look for wool military blankets to put under the sheet for extra warmth if you're camping in cooler weather. Usually pretty cheap at flea markets, Army/Navy type stores, etc. OR you and Bob could just snuggle more... LOL LOL LOL
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 6, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9267043

Well thanks Kathy, glad it sounded great. Obviously you really couldn't hear me. :-)

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2012
10:53 AM

Post #9267082

But I could and I still liked it!!!! You and Pat should sing a duet!!! Now I can't get Yankee Doodle out of my head!!!! LOL

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9267186

I have told you have a mischevious streak??? When I was in college and working at Farrells Ice Cream Parlour we had to sing Happy Birthday to the customers... well my boyfriend could NOT sing... I mean he was BAD. On cue we all stopped singing and left him to sing alone!!! I'm sure I'll have to pay for that someday!! LOL (but hey... could not have scarred him too bad, he is still my friend.)
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 6, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9267189

To funny Pat. Of course, people like that--who can laugh at themselves--make the best friends for life. Well that is MHO.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 6, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9267197

Kathy - we used to use two Mummy sleeping bags (separate zips, could Not zip together) and not only was I cold, but I would roll off the inflatable mattress (18" from ground!). This summer we Finally found sleeping bags that would zip together, and it was awesome to feel secure that I would not fall off the bed!!!!!
Not only that, but Bob "throws heat" like a blast furnace, so there's No Way I would be cold!!!!!!!!!
We use carpet underlay beneath the mattress, and on top of it, then add an electric blanket, then moving blankets (y'know those blue, quilted, and very sturdy blankets?) on top, Then our sleeping bags, THEN 2 comforters. I usually end up too warm lol

Bob & I know how to camp, so we're good for any emergency or need we have. Y'know... like fresh brewed coffee, a toaster, heaters, lamps... all the electrical stuff LOL

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9267265

goodness Susan! all that piled up on top of the mattress would be like the Princess and the Pea story! I am not a fan of those inflatable mattresses, have been bounced off them more times than I care to count!
Yumm, fresh coffee over a campfire, bacon sizzlin'... where did you say you were going the next time????? LOL

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 6, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #9267270

LOL our next trip is a B&B about 20 blocks from home (or less... haven't walked it, so don't know...) so we're going to get spoiled! Can hardly wait!! It's Oct 5/6, in celebration of our anniversary on Oct 10th (Wed, so that won't work lol)
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9267295

Happy Birthday, Barb.

I thought we were rustic campers until our oldest hiked the Appalachian Trail. He started off light in May and kept sending gear home as he went. By the time he got to Mt. Katahdin, the following October, he must have been half naked and without his svea stove. Our first tent was canvas and weighed a ton. We have a Walrus now. I love to tent camp and open fire cook; SO not so much. We spent years tenting around the area where I spent childhood summers in N. GA and then bought an abandoned property...Maypop.

Is a UFO an Unfinished Object? Am I close? Does anyone have Roxanne McElroy's book "The Perfect Stitch"? If so, would you comment? Does anyone use a three roller frame for handwork?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9267301

You are correct about "UFO". although sometimes they are Unidentified.

I got camping out of my system after a couple tactical assignments in the Army, in Korea, in the winter!!!! Nothing like having to put on layer, after layer of clothes to get to the out house in the early AM.
Now the camping in HI wasn't bad at all!!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9267623

Jean, I'm with you. I've had my fill of camping. I suppose the allergy to trees that I developed has not heped any!! I have camped and canoed from Lewiston Idaho to Kennewick WA where we had to dig our own latrines. Just does not appeal to me any more! With my husband's artifical leg, uneven ground is a hazard to him and he's just not the camping sort so I don't see camping in our future either. I don't stay warm like I did in my youth!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 6, 2012
9:22 PM

Post #9267641

ok, so camping won't be for me in my future... but barring health problems (which I Will Not borrow trouble for...) I can't see Bob & I not camping. As a matter of fact, I see us going more. we love getting away from the city, and having none of the "pulls" on us that the city demands. We never roughed it to the degree you two did (did not dig latrines, not have any time bivouacking in foreign countries. We've always taken the "comforts of home" with us, like electricity... Now we've just gotten "older in our needs" and want to be in an RV rather than "close" to the ground. We really love the scenery and meeting new people. We've never been able to afford cruises, or travelling far to other countries (furthest we've been is a short distance into Montana - Going To The Sun Road in Glacier Nat Park), so this is our only type of vacation, unless we stay home... and that's not appealing cuz we end up doing what we did this weekend - repairing our home. Siiiiiiiiiiiigh need to "get away" from working...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2012
4:24 AM

Post #9267729

I tell my "still camping" friends I require a flush toilet (within a few ft of my bed) and hot coffee w/in minutes of waking. And I don't want to have to get fully dressed to get to either.

And Bugs - yuk!!!!! Had to constantly check for the nasty centipedes in HI.

And hard to take a sewing machine when you are in a tent!!!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 7, 2012
4:57 AM

Post #9267745

Guess not much camping going on..bought a mini pull camper 2 years ago, thought I'd enjoy getting away..never been used, furthest someone got in it is next to the pond in my backyard..think it was more fun dreaming of where I could go then go..grandsons are just starting to get their license, the eldest 16 got his, bought a jeep with a hitch and asked about using it, heck yes, somebody has to so next year doubt it will be in my yard.

Picked up the quilt kaleidoscope yesterday, only took a day to arrive, now to see this morning if I can find a few blocks to see how it works, a plus for sewing or a gadget

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

September 7, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9267762

We used to love camping when our kids were little. It was a great way to travel with a large family. Now, I guess I enjoy my creature comforts too much. I'm not too keen on even traveling so much anymore except to visit with family. I don't sleep well these days and unless I'm alone in a hotel room, I would be keeping others awake. That happened when I took my granddaughter & her kids to the water park resort in TN. Every one is sleeping and I'm wide awake and can't even read because of having a light on. Had I my own room, it would be ok but in a suite... I would however go again because the kids had such a good time.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 7, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9267780

Taking 4 young men (grandsons) to Darien Lake Theme Park and got a suite at the Clarion that has indoor water park, looking forward to it, we always try to get away once a year on a grandma trip... Quite a laugh to see grandma with blanket over her head forming a tent so so she can from the iPad..never sleep through an entire night either.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

September 7, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9267824

LOL I did kind of the same thing Betty.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 7, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9267844

Where there is a will there is a way righ?

Started to work on the two wallets, drats guess who forgot to purchase zippers for the change purse.m when I get to that point I'll have to stop until I can run not town...

Watched a video on doing an easy Christmas tree table runner, thought now I'll have to look into ordering the templates, looked through what I had and there they were, guess I had bought them when the little fabric store next to the office went out of business last year..will definately have to take inventory...so, can always switch project if I was smart enough to purchase off white or beige suitable for this project.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 7, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9267987

LOL Jean - yes, I have to get dressed to go to the washroom, but it's 10 ft away (I just put my dressing gown on over my jammies) and we have a "timed" coffee maker and NO Bugs... we have a few flies, but we use a bug killer. Next time we may bring our fogger...(no, we really can't, but the flies are the only bugs we need to worry about - no mosquitoes!)
I sleep on a mattress 19" high, and we could bring my sewing machine - there's room in the tent OR the RV. Tent is 10ft x 10ft and 7ft high - Cabin type, not the "side sloping" kind... gave those up a long time ago when I was the only one to get in the "corners". I feel it's the duty of both of us to reach anything in the tent LOL Bob's 6'3" and I'm not doing ALL the work lol
We have a propane oven, and stove, running water closer than the toilet, etc. Only "hardship" is we have to boil the water. The showers are free and we drive or walk to it - about 4 blocks away, and it's part of our camping experience to do the walk in the am or before bedtime. When we start using the RV we'll have a toilet and shower IN it, so will be even more convenient!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #9268018

OK, then I'll come camping with you!!!!!

1st 2 rain showers of the day have moved on to the East. A lot more to the west. Guess it is going to be a wet weekend.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 7, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9268026

lol Jean - you're welcome to join us!! lol you're right by Jacksonville, right? Well, will only take you 45 HOURS to get here... !!!!!!! lol
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9268212

That's what planes are for!!!!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 7, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9268305

LOL we don't have the camper yet, but when we do - we may use it as a 2nd bedroom lol
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9269647

Had DH help me load a large queen yesterday. Got a couple rows done before I decided to get my plants in the ground before the rains started. Will head out in a few & hopefully finish it today. Customer is in MD so will take it back to her when I go up next month.
Got the Jungle top done except for borders. Will decide on those after I shop up in PA.

Supposed to really cool off starting today.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 9, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9269700

You are well on your way then Quilter, how many hours would you say it will take to do a queen..

I've been up since 4:am, sunshine just coming out now, chilly, have fireplace on just to take the chill out.

My girlfriend Darlene brought a bag of clothing her husband's clothing, he passed on at 56 in January so I spent all morning taking waists/cuffs and neckline off all and now have enough material I'm hoping to do a double size throw for her.

In between, I've been playing with making tops for christmas table runners..saw the method on u-tube, said one could make one in an afternoon and yes, it's as simple as that..decided I'd make as many as the trees I cut and leave quilting for another day..

Focused on Christmas..
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9269776

A Queen takes 4-5 hours and that includes loading the quilt. I have just 2 passes left, so under an hour.

I got out my "Not Your Grandmother's Log Cabin" book thinking I might start making some holiday table toppers. Must be the cool, dreary day. Of course to me, 80 is a cool day!!!!!

The days are indeed getting shorter. Not much light before 7AM and getting dark by 8PM. Think the short days are the saddest part of winter.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 9, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9269801

You'll be done before you know it!!

Think it's the change in the weather that has me thinking fall, then comes Christmas and guess with almost every weekend planned or away when I do get the chance Christmas gift items are on my list..already did and gave 1/2 already, quilts/stained glass pieces so it's just odds/sods to put into their packages.

The runner I'm doing is back to back Christmas trees and what a way to rid myself of all those Christmas pieces thrown in a box..
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 9, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9269809

Oh but it does feel great today..fall is definitely on the way!! Jean, I love the shorter days except for the fact my DD has to leavefor work when it is really dark. With shorter days, I get more done inside including sewing.

We are so soggy today after the torrential down pour yesterday.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 9, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9269854

Betty, do you have a picture of the table topper with trees that you are referring to? I have part of today and that's it before leaving. IT is looking like I won't have the denim quilt ready to bring with me, darn it. Who knows... day is not over yet.

Yesterday I picked up the bird bath from Dad. It is EXTREMELY heavy, 2 pieces and I KNOW I can't get it out of the truck of my car alone, it's going to be difficult with 2 of us. I'm so afraid I'll break it or scratch up my car.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #9269916

I was digging thru a plastic tote looking for my missing patterns. Didn't find patterns but did stumble across a joAnn's BoM for a Christmas Quilt from at least 12 years ago. I have all the patterns but had only made 9-10" blocks and that is 1/2 of 1 row of the quilt. Almost like saying "I'd not even started it". Well now made the rest of the blocks needed for that row and have them sewn together.

Lots of small pieces to this quilt so who knows how long I'll stay focused.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 9, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9269946

Pat, been on a roll, just realized it's after 3:30 and didn't have lunch yet so up I go and have the stew I made yesterday and then back down to finish the 4th runner..another day I feel as ambitious I'll quilt them.

Can't believe how quickly they go together..photo's won't do them justice...incase the photo doesn't capture them they are back to back trees..I may add another border as well, have to think about that one before I quilt.

Looking at my stash I've enough to do a lot more but waiting patiently for the giant size templates to do table cloths with 36" dresden so best I not cut up all my stash lol

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9269949

That does look like a fun pattern...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 9, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9269951

Had a helper..lol

Will have a rest, finish the 4th and clean up my mess..lordy have 4 tables that look as though Isaac blew through

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 9, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9269958

oops wrong photo

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9270093

She's obviously waiting fro Santa!!!
I miss having my cats around when I'm sewing. So far I've not taken any of them out to the Studio. IT was more fun with them "helping" me.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 9, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9270133

Those tree runners are cute! I'm thinking I'll try to make a few lap quilts for the local nursing homes out of my spare Christmas fabrics. We'll see.

I have the body of the D9P (yellow, blacks and different Sunflower prints) quilt top done except the borders to bring it to full 72 x 90. I'm trying to figure out a way to use up what I have and not have to buy more fabric to complete it. Under 2 yards of Black eyed Susan fabric, less than 2 yards of yellow plaid, etc, etc...

I need to just put everything away and set up the twin bed so it's ready for next weekend.

I don't have the patience for my cat's "help". but... I don't have the patience for ANYTHING right now. I could NOT sleep last night and could NOT take anything heavy duty enough to help me sleep because I was on-call. If I get called out again tonight, it is NOT going to be pretty. I'm pretty much walking dead. I'm so tired and I'm not completely packed to leave yet. Guess I'd better get with it. The 2nd order of clothes has not arrived, the two pairs of jeans I ordered that did arrive were proportioned all wrong for me. Too big in the waist, too small in the thigh & knee. I even stopped at Walmart and tried on a few pairs of pants. How I wish I could more easily buy clothes off the rack without altering them to fit!

Guess I'm going to have to make due with what I have and pray I don't get my ONE pair of jeans dirty! It's MUCH cooler in Tacoma and forecasted for rain. I am NOT prepared for fall weather and I don't know what to expect in the hospital where the training is. Too hot or too cold, you can bet, just like Goldilocks! My Dad left an umbrella in the car, no one from this part of the state owns an umbrella! You all think of Washington as the "Evergreen state" but trust me, THAT is the Western part of the state, not us!! this part is desert. If you don't irrigate it, then it does not grow. ie not much rain.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9270207

OK Pat, breathe...it will all work out.

There is going to be a store, next to the motel, that sells pants perfect for you,

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9270256

Kristen decided she wanted new shopping bags, so I went thru that big pile of scraps on my cutting table and came up with these. The first one was 2.5" patchwork of pinks, browns, creams, but I lost the picture to that one and she has it in IN. It had iron-on interfacing between the front and liner, which stiffened it up a little and pockets on the front and inside.

These two I decided to try SITD and outline quilting with pieces of leftover battings on the fronts, then added a liner as well.The red/brown one has a pocket on the inside, and 80/20 batting. Not real stiff, but sturdy enough for groceries. The other with the green patches has no pockets, mid-loft poly batting and stands up on its own. Both were basically cut 16x19, then I experimented with the width of the bottoms.

I went by a video that I saved from Harwood site, many good ideas and tutorials on quilting, cooking, etc. The tote bag tutorial has 2 videos. She also has some really nice table runners listed also:

http://www.harwoodpodcast.com/letsquilt/lets-quilt-26-tote-bag-part-1.html

Thumbnail by Kizmo   Thumbnail by Kizmo   Thumbnail by Kizmo   Thumbnail by Kizmo   Thumbnail by Kizmo

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

September 9, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9270305

Hi Laurel so glad you found us!!!!! Beautiful work you are doing.
Betty love your totes they came out great and your christmas quilt Wow I love the way the colors work in it.
Barb, Happy belated birthday I hope youhad a very special beautiful day and your quilt came out gorgeous love the colors!
Kiz your totes are great too I love the colors too they are so fall.

Great work everyone. I am so jealous how quick and organized you all are. I am still picking at my ever growing list as well some days I think they will be UFO's for ever. One Stitch at a Time I guess. LOL
Cher

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 9, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9270317

If I'd just STOP creating MORE that would be progress!!

Jean, I hope you are right. I do know there is a mall close by. I am not much of a shopper but I may be desperate enough now to shop!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 9, 2012
9:48 PM

Post #9270401

Hi everyone - Betty & Kathy - your work is fabulous - love the Christmas quilts, and totes... I agree with Cher - those autumn ones are lovely colours

So tired, first time on the computer today and it's 11:45pm... Went to service this am, then was up on the roof this aft, helping by pulling nails, tearing up shingles and roofing paper... preparatory to putting new paper and shingles up Big wind storm hit, and almost blew Bob & I over. Did blow a piece of sheet tin into our neighbour's yard. Dented it a bit, so it's garbage. I was so shaky and glad to get down. Then I made dinner, and vegged out. Only reason I got on the computer is because Bob needed some answers re: his RP game on his system...

Good night all...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2012
4:12 AM

Post #9270483

Roofs & I do not get along.

Weather is supposed to be very nice here this week and I plan to tackle some yard & garage projects.

Finally finished getting the binding on the QoV from the mystery I did. Took forever. Now to get it washed.

Now, off to Yoga.
mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

September 10, 2012
4:52 AM

Post #9270504

I've entered a picture in the photo contest. It describes my summer. It's in the flower arrangement section, not quilting, I can't seem to stay motivated or focused enough to do much more than clean, cook, and weed. I am so looking forward to Cocoa Beach!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 10, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9270677

I won't be online much, headed out of town. I'm looking forward to seeing all the good stuff when I get back.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 10, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9270691

Have a very safe but wonderful trip Pat. I am headed out Thursday to so see my Mom...she has taken another downward spiral but that is to be expected at this point.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 10, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9270711

Waving bye Pat..going to miss you!

Marion, sorry to hear about your mom..lordy she's had so many ups/downs these past few years.Sending prayers for all of you, you must be exhausted and overwhelmed.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 10, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9270730

Thanks Betty, actually my sister is exhausted and overwhelmed but more so because she has always has depended on mom. Now the roles are reversed. I don't want to sound uncaring as that is NOT the case, just one can't expect her to improve never getting out of bed, no movement on her own what so ever and one UTI after another. According to what my sister said last night, this one is a serious infection as per the doctor.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 10, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9270770

Safe travels Marion..at some point one just cannot continue to fight the battle.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 10, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9270786

Busy day today... have some clearout... then tonight have a Board Meeting
Here's some more pictures of our work-in-progress
He's building an overhang, as well as repairing the roof.

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B   Thumbnail by Tallulah_B   Thumbnail by Tallulah_B   Thumbnail by Tallulah_B   Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 10, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9270792

oh Marion - what a terrible thing for you, your Mom & sister to go through, and I'm glad you're going to be there. Not much you can do, of course, however am hoping you have a good visit. You know you have my continued prayers for you... (((((((((Marion)))))))))))
Have a safe trip

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 10, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9270816

That's one heck of a lot of work..holly smackers

You will think you are in a new home when all is completed..

Difficult isn't it when there is only one child that lives in same town as aging parent..drats, must remember to warn my son Greg.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 10, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9270840

Not only living in the same town but together for the last 11 years. Before that just across the road from mom. I have been gone since 1959

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 10, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9270842

Betty - too bad it won't affect the size of the interior lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 10, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9270845

That's a lot of togetherness, lol...

Sent Jeff an e-mail reminding him it is Greg/Mel's 18th anniversary today..just got an e-mail back..

'will call when I land, waves are so high no can do now' drats, he's been kayaking for THE CURE-Cancer with a father and son in the weather we had all weekend..thought he'd be back to work today but guess he's still a paddling!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 10, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9270850

Susan, doesn't but it does add covering that sometimes you can use..i.e. chairs to sit under when raining.

I had them build a 22x14 overhand, then I closed it in and screened it and in winter close it up and gives an extra room to come in out of the storm, take off boots etc before coming in and in the summer a nice place to sit (who sits???). Am sure you will find a purpose for the extra covering, too bad you couldn't have added an 8' length

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 10, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9270854

wow 22x14... well, with our deck 16x19, and the huge trees we have (fir & lilac) we'd have NO sun if we did it larger.
Anyway, I'm really happy with it. With our strong winds, chinook and otherwise, we won't put a tarp up to close it in either.
We'll put the BBQ and recycle bins there, so we can BBQ in the winter. I will be able to step out in any weather to put cardboard and bottles in the bins.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 10, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9270859

you will love it..
Susan, my deck doesn't seem very large once you put all the furniture on it..sometimes wish it was a lot bigger.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 10, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9270862

We also have our patio table and umbrella, so there's more shade there

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 10, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #9270906

Found an easy project to get rid of more Christmas fabric, need a 10" 1/2 hexagon template..called all the fabric shops from here to Toronto and no go..found one in USA..8.98 but shipping close to $16. so that's a no go..called the glass and mirror place in Midland, sent them a fax and they will tell me what they charge for it to be cut in plexi glass..wondering if I'll at least save the shipping

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 10, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9270916

They just called, $16.75 including taxes so guess it's about 1/2 of ordering but I can pick it up Thursday.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

September 10, 2012
12:12 PM

Post #9270986

I go to our local glass repair when ever I need templates cut, he's very reasonable as he can do in his spare time and use scrap pieces of plexiglass. One warning...if he doesn't do it, be sure to sand the edges so they don't cut you, they can be very sharp.

You might want to check with some other shops price wise. Our guy is used to dealing with seniors so he keeps his prices in line.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 10, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9271010

Thanks.. yes it's a glass/mirror place and edges will be sanded. I picked up 2 mirrors to use for my quilt kaleidescope on Friday and they were nicely done.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9271433

Susan, your deck will be wonderful! Sometimes even a small retreat can be very relaxing...
Just don't do like my Mom... She and Charlie have a large mobile. When they got married, it was too crowded at holidays with all us kids and grands, so Charlie built on another room for her big dining table, art easels, etc, along with an open deck like yours that was just as big. Wonderful for all of us and the kids in the summer/fall. She had talked about those old country houses with the wrap-around porches ever since I can remember. And us kids were so happy when he built that big open deck, plus a front sun room to sit, drink morning coffee and watch traffic go by.
THEN>... for some reason, which we all fail to understand, she had Charlie enclose the open back porch with windows all around, and now it's so stuffy even with the windows open that its not much fun to sit out there anymore. They keep the AC on 80, and even with fans blowing, we're cooler sitting outside in the yard, which she doesn't want to do either...
Enjoy that open air!!!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 10, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9271512

I do enjoy the open air. When we come back home from camping, I need to have the windows open or I suffocate being so enclosed. It takes until it gets Really cool at night before I'm okay shutting the windows...
Our deck is nice and private (which I love - can sit outside and none of our neighbours can see/watch. Sometimes it's just nice to sit outside in my jammies and housecoat and enjoy a cup of coffee, reading a book.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2012
9:29 PM

Post #9271570

That's my kind of deck - nice and private!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 11, 2012
3:47 AM

Post #9271664

My DH does not like fresh air. It is 65 out this AM and, if up to me, the windows would be flung open. I'm just glad he lets me keep the porch door open. At least some fresh air gets in thru there.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

September 11, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9271720

Marion, I know this is a difficult time for you but couldn't let your birthday go by unnoticed.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 11, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9271727

Morning..brrrr glad I had my flannel nighty on this morning..chilly for sure.

Was up bright and early, got the supplies/fabric together for the memory quilt I was to start, crazy quilt design for my girlfriend Darlene who lost her hubby in January..after all was packed I realized I didn't have the template for the crazy quilt template..had a aha moment. Remembered I had white plexiglass from making a light box and a commercial scroll saw, now why didn't I think of that before I ordered the 10" 1/2 hexagon..of I went, cut one out, sanded and am ready to set up here at work. Mike's birthday would have been the 17th..hmm wonder if I worked hard if I could have it ready for her!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 11, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9271732

Marion - I do hope you get to enjoy your birthday.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 11, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9271757

ooops, said Happy Birthday to you on several of the threads, must have missed this one..

Hope Kim baked you that chocolate cake, if so have a piece for me!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 11, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9271775

Thanks everyone. No cake that I am aware of but will be going out with Kim for a pizza. There is a place in town that makes the best veggie pizzas and that is what I want.
mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

September 11, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9271796

I just realized I don't have Marion's email on this laptop, can anyone dmail it to me? I want to send her an e card.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

September 11, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9271800

Sounds good Marion, I really like veggie lasagna. Sure didn't mean to sound like a downer, hope you enjoy your day.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 11, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9271808

A happy happy birthday wish to you. I hope that pizza is just the yummiest. It never hurts someone else is doing the cleaning up! Im afraid Ive carried that theme for over a week now ;-O

Safe travels...headed to Indialantic right behind you, parents as well...

pam
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 11, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9271831

Mittsy, thanks for the thought. That makes me feel wonderful. How are things at your place...thinking of you so much. Had a note from my SIL that lives in the Cocoa Beach area and she told me she had been thinking about dropping in on her "old" quilting group. Old not meaning age!!!!
I know she has her hands full as her husband is a quadriplegic and has been sick lately.

Karen, you weren't being a downer. I understood in many ways what you were saying. First, since 2001 it has been really hard to get excited over my birthday. It is now a reminder of so many who innocently lost their loved ones---we usually celebrate on a different day. However, this year is the first time I have been here in 2 years (always with Mom since 2010) so Kim and I decided to go out. I really love a good veggie pizza and this place does make them. Normally when we go for pizza we go where the GDs like so this is a treat!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 11, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9271917

Happy Birthday, Marion
I know today is a memory of 9/11, but you've been around longer than that (no, didn't mean to sound snarky lol), and although it's an unhappy memory people are never going to forget, You, dear lady are a treasure we have Here And Now. I wish you joy and enjoy the pizza!!!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 11, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9271919

Happy Birthday from NJ. Looking forward to Fl. I am soo cold here.

Sorry about Mom. This is very difficult for her and the Fam.One feels so helpless.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 11, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9271929

Thanks Susan and Helene. LOL yes I certainly have been around longer.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9272067

Hi Cher. Thank you for the welcome and quilt compliment.
Betty, the totes are marvelous. I've had totes on my mind lately. Even looked up online patterns last week. Did you use patterns?
Hope you have a yummy veggie birthday pizza, Marion.
Pam, Indialantic/Coco Beach used to be a regular stopping point for us when we traveled down to Miami with the kids. Before that it was a favorite surfing spot when we were teenagers. We would drive up from Miami and spend the weekend camping on the beach when news that weather meant "surf's up". There was nothing there then.
I've decided to forge ahead on the second pillow sham and find another travel project. There's a turned needle UFO that would travel well. After all, we are moving between two houses weekly. Love the new frame SP made for me. He is making a second one to keep at the cottage. That way I can work on another section of the wedding quilt.
Helene, when are you going down to FL? If the sale on my house goes through I'll be down for the closing in mid-October. I'm holding my breath every time they report a new hurricane. Also, loans are still hard to get. I had a contract on the house and the buyers, both professionals, could not get financing.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 11, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9272112

Laurel - if you are heading to Miami I hope it's when I'm here. I have a trip going north and then another going to TX in Oct.

Been skipping the sewing to do yard work in the BEAUTIFUL weather. Front is mowed and many weeds pulled. Out back I'm attempting to reclaim the "disaster". Just put a brick surface around the well pipes. Now to move some potted plants to that area. Tomatoes are planted. Next on the agenda is to break my overgrown bromilliads apart & repot. Tomorrow afternoon I'll mow the back yard.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9272145

It would be great if us orchid folks could get together for a day of shopping. Jim has been bugging us to stay with him for a while. The only way I can do that is if the house is sold and the leisure time is there for me to spend a few free days going up the "other" coast. It's a longer trip back to Atlanta traveling via FL's west coast. The Miami house is still fully furnished inside and out. There's a car and canoe to deal with too. I have a lot of running to do if this contract goes through. Fingers crossed but I'm dreading the work and the separation from my childhood home. Since we use the house to vacation in several times a year I've been reluctant to empty it.

I've been working on the first wedding quilt quadrant. Can't seem to do better than seven or eight (if I'm lucky) stitches to the inch. I think it's the backing fabric I choose (okay, I'm getting old too). I used to do nine or ten stitches. I started by marking quilting lines then decided it would look more folk-style, strays and all, if it was freehanded. After all the piecework was done in every odd and end way so shouldn't the quilting be equally rustic? Does designing an imperfect quilt sound weird? Guess the important part is if it can come together. Maybe it's a bit premature to even call it a quilt. :)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 11, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9272311

Laurel, yes I did however did them slightly different than those I did a few years ago..one is to replace my DIL Melanie's, seems one of the dogs like to chew..

I am sure your piece will turn out beautiful. They say a homemade quilt should have at least on mistake on it..

I received the large dresden plate templates tonight, went in search of some fabric in my stash, got to say I'm starting to run low, hopefully christmas fabric will soon be in the fabric stores here..cut out the large one (plate will be 36")..boy is it large lol

Perhaps tonight after t.v. bingo I'll see if I can cut out the 4 smaller ones..shaking my head here..I accounted for the large one not thinking of the 4 smaller..also, The project directions recommend saving fabric by turning templates..had, 1/2 red cardinals are going in different direction when cutting fabric, told myself it doesn't matter as long as every 2nd one is turned in different direction and this is my sample piece.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 11, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9272354

Betty - that is Be A U Tiful

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

September 11, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9272379

Wow. I want to make one 60" but with only 12 blades for a tree skirt. I want to put one of the swap plates on every other blade. I might put different Christmas appliques on the alternate blades.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9273095

rec'd my plate from ladydragon. thank you

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9273145

Nice fabric sale going on at Joann's!

http://www.joann.com/fabric/holiday-fabric/holiday_christmas/?psize=48

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9273152

Plus in store discount of 20% off entire order if your 60 or older for senior discount! Just have to show your ID.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9273187

I spent the day cleaning out the garage. The workshop still needs some work. I need to purchase a couple nice heavy duty shelf units for in front of the cars. But (drum roll here) there are now 2 cars in the garage!!!!!!

Now I can get back to sewing!!!!!!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9273198

wow, we have a three car garage and our cars know nothing but the outside. I wish I could get my husband to do that, Im darned sure not.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

September 12, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9273366

Congratulations Jean!!! I love having my car in the garage - especially in the winter. Open the garage door - push the auto start - and go have another coffee!!!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 12, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9273388

Is preheating the car a northern necessity? Can't imagine that kind of cold weather having moved northward to live in Atlanta. That was a huge cold weather adjustment.

The mystery of the three sided pillow shams is revealing itself. Went to store table toppers not currently needed and discovered there are two more sham faces, batted, backed and basted. Must have meant them to be part of the two currently being quilted. Don't think there would be four for one bed. Now I don't have to worry about a travel project after all.

While digging through the closet I stumbled on two machine baby quilts all but complete. When did I do those? Maybe two decades ago. Then there is the turned needle applique of old fashioned garden flower squares I designed. Those have been hanging out for at least four or five years. I'm going to have trouble keeping up with all of you.

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 12, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9273454

oh yes, warming up the car in winter is a necessity!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 12, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9273547

Laurel - not only is pre-heating the car a necessity, we also have "block heaters" as part of our motors, and we plug into an electrical outlet to keep the motor warm, or we may not be able to start the vehicle on a cold winter's morning.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2012
6:03 AM

Post #9273847

Ah, I remember those block heaters when I lived in Michigan, if we forgot to plug them in at night, you would not start your car the next morning. It would be frozen solid!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 13, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9273875

In Michigan I can imagine they would be, due to the humidity from the Lakes. Here in Alberta they're not so bad, but still some days they need a couple of hours plugged in to keep them viable.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 13, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9273885

http://www.pilgrimsquilts.com/2010/05/published-trinity-celtic-knot-quilt.html

Okay, this link is for those who are doing/would like to do a postage stamp quilt. Thunder, sure hope you get to see this.

Have a great day...busy getting things together as I am going to see my Mom in the morning. Will be gone for about 2 weeks..again depends on how she is doing when I get ready to start home. Still battling a very bad UTI.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 13, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9273896

Have a good and safe trip, Marion - here's hoping this finds your Mom feeling better when you arrive...or sooner.
I guess this means you won't be online for 2 weeks?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9273946

That is a beautiful quilt, but way too much work for me!
Please drive careful Marion, and give your Mom ((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))) from all of us!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9274980

Wish we had a Joann's nearby. They are located around the periphery of the city with no stores in the city. There is a Hancock within two miles of my house. I like Joann's better.

I discovered two quilt shops yesterday in the N. GA mountains. both had nice fabrics but they don't have either brands of needles I use (Piecemaker or R. Hemming) nor the thread. One woman asked if I was a hand quilter and was shocked and amazed to find one in the flesh. lol

Here is a photo of the Atlanta quilt and new frame. It is balanced on the old saw horse stands. SO is going to make me new pedestal stands. I am beginning to slowly feel my way back to stitching.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 14, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9274982

Laurel - that looks like my old quilt frame, with the saw horses (from my dad, but I couldn't bring them from Winnipeg when we moved - too bulky...). My DH made me a new quilt frame - consists of 4 posts (like legs of the saw horses, but moveable). When I get home today I'll post pics
"find one in the flesh" lol Too funny! I met a "hand piecer" once... anyone here do that? She said it's much more accurate and she can do it on the bus on her way to/from work. She works in a quilt shop so can do it at work, too lol
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9274987

Here is the one set up on the Atlanta frame. He made this frame twenty four inches wide. That is plenty of space for my stitching field and to roll the piece. The frame is two 1"x2"'s drilled for the dowels and two four foot dowels. He cut off the ends of four nails, being used as pegs, and drilled holes through the dowels and 1"x2" to fix the dowel rollers. I have always used the ladder back chairs here at the cottage as stands. Rustic, but it works.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 14, 2012

Post #9275009

Too funny - I used to use chairs as stands too!
My sister's DH built her a frame with 4 posts and that's what I took my inspiration from

Well, gotta go do some pruning...
Chat atcha later!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 14, 2012
9:53 AM

Post #9275037

Beautiful..lots of hand stitching for sure!

Cold, damp, raining..fireplace on and heather in my craft room..perfect day for sitting in front of a sewing machine..to make it even more perfect think I'll put my Jammie's on and just play..

5 tables in craft room are covered with projects in the works..thank goodness I'll be in Batavis NY next weekend and can get supplies I need to finish them.

Had a 10" 1/2 hexagon cut for me yesterday, ideas was to make Xmas tree runners..this mornimg it took me all of an hour to get the top done..need co ordinating fabric for the star and border..now tell me why it is with every project I'm doing I am missing something..shaking my head
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9275094

Just finished cleaning the kitchen, FR, mud room, and foyer floors & rugs. One of the cats decided to throw up so that is what started the project. Kidz!!!!! Sunny now but there was rain earlier & more heading in off the Atlantic.
Need to get a shower then head off to JoAnn's. I need some long pieces for backings and have that 20% off coupon burning a hole in my pocket.

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

September 14, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9275215

Finished two of my round robins today and made 4 matching pillow cases to go with my "Moda" quilt.
Took a couple of days off and am very busy. I have also been making the "Merry Merry Snowmen" quilt by Bunny Hill Designs. http://www.bunnyhilldesigns.com/store/products/details/?product=MerrySnowm
Bits N Pieces quilt shop is doing this as a block of the month. we are on block 3 now. I decided to do the applique by hand. (not usually my forte)
but I am having a blast with it and cant wait for block 4.
Cher

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

September 14, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9275216

will try to post some pics later
Cher
Happy belated birthday Marion!!!!!!!!
Cher

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9275217

You have been busy! I love that quilt, it looks like a lot of fun! Post pictures when you can!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #9275224

http://www.thousandsofbolts.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.searchbyName&category_id=&mfg_account_id=&themecat_id=&fab_type_id=&search_string=&name=&xpattern=&sku=z&hidesbfq=1&product_searchsubmit=search fabrics&wheretext=&newsearchsubmitted=1

Thousands of bolts has wide backing fabric starting at $8.45 per yard!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

September 14, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9275227

Look at your JoAnn's for the Fashion Fusion Magazine. It's $3.99 then there are 6 coupons on the back 2 are 50% and 4 are 40%. All are good until mid Jan. I pick up one every time I go in. You can use as many coupons as you want.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9275332

My problem with JoAnn's coupons is seems everything is already on sale so the coupons do no good. I got to use a 40% off to buy a zipper today.
Got some really wild & crazy outdoor canvas to make myself a Yoga bag. I use 2 mats so the regular bags aren't big enough around. And the ones I've seem are rather "boring". Plan to add a pocket for socks & keys and another pocket to hold my water bottle. Think it will be tomorrows project.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 14, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9275382

I'm just as bad as you all are, not finished today and thinking of what projects will be tomorrow..not going out for supper/horse race and casino till 4:00-4:30 so have all day to play.

We have fabricland here and you buy a membership $20.00 year if you are already a member..almost everytime there is a sale, it's open to everyone..I bought 2 zippers on Thursday for the wallets I'm doing, the rest already on sale so no big savings..guess any savings is better than none!

The memory quilt is taking quite a bit of time, though crazy blocks would be quick but not...I'll just keep plugging along, just hope I don't run out of Mike's shirts/pants/etc. Mike had a t-shirt with a saying he always said so also trying to incorporate it..it's just on a backing now, not sure if I will add some crazy quilt design to it or trim it?

Lordy craft room is in some mess..just got to clean a bit before calling it a day. Then I just might get pen and paper, figure out all I need from Joann's so next weekend I'll know exactly what I need..that would be different.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze   

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

September 14, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9275615

oooooooooo I love the tree runner
Cher

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 15, 2012
4:15 AM

Post #9275734

Tree runner took all of an hour..great stocking stuffers. I will do the star slightly larger when I get the border fabric so both can be done in same fabric..can't wait to get to Joann's
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9275832

Darn - I need to go out & do more yard maintenance. I want to sew!!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9275872

Betty, love your projects! Where did you get the gold with stars in your crazy quilt? I can never seem to find the golds I like!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 15, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9275893

Pat which one, the quick tree runner?

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2012
10:30 AM

Post #9275923

hello there every body !!!!

an angel sent me an old computer to use until I get my new one :)

Marion...love that quilt. :-)

Hi Laurel, I too love to hand quilt...

Betty , as always great projects!!

Cher, those snowmen will be adorable... did you post pictures of the ribbons quilts?? did I miss them somewhere in my absence??? :(

waiting until I get my new computer to renew my subscription , so right now I have limited access to various threads / forums...

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

September 15, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9275932

"Thunder"!!!! The only threads I don't seem to have access to are the plant ones.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 15, 2012
11:46 AM

Post #9275974

((((((((((Thunder))))))))))))) SO Good To See You!!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9276263

betty, the sashing on the red/white and black blocks. Looks like gold with white stars? In your 3rd picture.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9276275

Thunder. You should be up and running on Daves now. Membership taken care of. Not sure if it will take till tomorrow to activate. They are aware of it ,and have all the info tho.

night everyone, and oh...go gators ;-o

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 15, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9276322

how wonderful that you've helped Thunder!! You're an earthly angel!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2012
10:45 PM

Post #9276382

thanks much Pam :-)

need to get over to Betty's thread, and let them all know I am still "kicking"
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9276476

O gosh, no thanks needed. It was more of a selfish act. Just glad you back and up and running. !!!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9276540

Hi Thunder. Glad to meet all quilters. :) I am really enjoying the pictures posted here. Would love to see photos of your work.

Betty, that's a very special memory quilt you are making for your friend. Don't know how you manage to stay organized and work on so many projects simultaneously. I'm impressed!

We are having drizzles this morning. I'd like to use the weather excuse to stitch the day away but piles of garden produce beckon me to can. Thinking a little procrastinating is in order. After all, the day is young.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2012

Post #9276571

Here's the QoV I just finished. It was the mystery from one of the QoV groups. Large pieces went together quickly.

Thumbnail by Qwilter

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9276580

Really nice Jean. Love the fabric. I sometimes have trouble mixing red white and blue without it getting to busy.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

September 16, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9276589

Very nice Jean I really like the fabrics also, they seem to mesh well.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 16, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9276592

Really striking Jean!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9276615

Great job Jean. Big blocks are a blessing sometimes!!!!!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9276625

Very beautiful, Jean. Okay, what is a QoV? Still learning the lingo.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9276629

Quilt of Valor. Jean does these for the servicemen and women. Its amazing.
If you make a top, she will even quilt it for you to give to them. It is a goal that I WILL achieve. Sooner rather than later I hope.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9276632

Forgot to say there is a Quilts of Valor website. I would have to google it to get the address. It tells all about it tho.

This message was edited Sep 16, 2012 11:46 AM

This message was edited Sep 16, 2012 11:47 AM
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9276705

http://www.qov.org

The goal is that every wounded service member will receive a quilt. These have even gone to WWII & Vietnam vets.
Recently we have been sending them to a DUSTOFF Medivac Unit in Afghanistan. They are the ones who pick up the wounded & take them to the nearest hospital. They carry the quilts on board and wrap the wounded in them for their flight back.

I just finished making my annual 12 pillowcase fro Conkerr Cancer. I can drop them off at the quilt show this weekend. I ended up with 13 so told DH he can have 1 - he just has to decide before Friday!!!!

And now, off to finish mowing the back yard before today's rain runs me inside. Got 1/2 done yesterday before the rains hit.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 16, 2012
11:46 AM

Post #9276722

Totally amazed at everyone's generosity. What a worthwhile cause!
Family just dropped in, all did the Terry Fox run for cancer..his tribute still lives on.
People helping people, isn't that what life is all about.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9276748

What a wonderful use of your talents and skills! Thanks for the explanation.

Helping others is an important part of making life worthwhile. We are active in a food redistribution project called Second Helpings. http://www.templesinaiatlanta.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70&Itemid=98 We personally pick up over a ton of food every month from grocers, bakeries and restaurants and deliver to public and private agencies, shelters and soup kitchens around the city.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9276775

We each do in our own special way. For me it was pacemats for the elderly and crib blankets for the cancer center. Not sure what I'll do next!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 16, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9276837

You all make me feel so inadequate...best I research something here in my neck of the woods!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9276884

I dont know what your version of the American Cancer Society is, but they should have some info on charity quilting programs. Well, at least its a place to start.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9276916

Or the local police or fire stations.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

September 16, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9276977

Place mats for Meals on Wheels are so very easy to make. A lot of us use the orphan blocks we have...add a bit to the ends to bring to size, a bit of batting, a backing and some SID and done.
I lived in a senior mobile park, our craft group made them for our shut in residents who were taken meals at holidays.
Nursing homes love to get simple bibs made with a hand towel.
Lap quilts are always welcome at any care facility.
Hospitals welcome quilted covers for incubators.
I've made tiny gowns to dress preemies that don't survive. We lost our quads and it meant so much to us for them to be dressed when we held them for the last time.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 16, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9277029

Did make mega crochet afghans (about 20 or so)a few years ago..virtually had to beg a seniors home to take them..kind of put me off!!!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 16, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9277035

yeah, they don't want the responsibility of washing them, or having them disappear. I suppose too - the recipient may be seen as "favoured" and they try to make everything as "same" for everyone, to make it easier to remember who owns what.

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

September 16, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9277186

Wow Jean what a beautiful QOV !!!!! Love it.
Thunder so good to see you !!!!! No I havent posted yet as my phone that I took pics on will not connect with my pc I am going to sprint in am to see if they can fix it . I think I did download a photo though let me see I will post asap. They came out sooo beautiful and loved by all . Thank you all who donated such a beautiful gift.
Cher
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2012
4:08 AM

Post #9277455

I just got a notice from admin.
As I wrote above, I renewed Thunders subscription for her, and posted that to her. I just found out that someone beat me to the punch. Thunder, you have a faster angel (friend) than me, and I wanted to write this so that person knows we know she is out there.

pam

This message was edited Sep 17, 2012 6:38 AM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 17, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9277522

So many Earthly Angels watching over their DG friends..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 17, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9277679

good for them, Pam - yes, some angels are pretty quick!!
When I was between jobs (as I am again...) I was told I should contact the DG team, and they have a :"special fund" for this. DG renewed my subscription for me, at my request. They are truly "earthly angels", are our DG team.
THANK YOU!!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9278161

I just went to vote in the quilt category in the Daves county fair. Now that I looked thru them, it wont let me do it again. I wanted to check them all out before voting. If you check them out, make sure to save the ones you like so you can get back to them and vote. There are only 7. :-(
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9278251

You might want to try again. I was in & out of a few of the categories a couple times today.
I used the "see thumbnails" option.

I'll be hanging quilts for the Jacksonville quilt show tomorrow.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 17, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9278392

Well, just got home from the Community Garden meeting... yikes... I'm on yet another committee...
Turns out this is a grassroots committee, building a community garden, and there will be subcommittees:
Design / Build
Communications (I'm on this subcommittee)
Events/Fundraising - looking at grants, etc
Finance (once Events/Fundraising get the $$ they pass it to them to put in an account, etc)
Ad Hoc - I'm on this sub-committee too... fills in wherever needed
So, subcommittees meet in 2 weeks, pass info to main committee and meet each month. First meeting actually in 3 weeks.
Sounds like it's going to be very busy for next 4 months...
The garden plots haven't been set up yet, only on paper. So, hexagon, or rectangular, or keyhole...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 18, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9279072

You'll be running Susan come snow time..don't overdo

Well did you all hear me curse, yep, that was me

I sat all morning and cut out rag quilt squares, didn't want to bring my accuquilt in, figured it would occupy my morning by doing by hand..teaching Suzanne SIL here in the office how to make one, she wants to make both grandaughters one. That part went fine..by noon it was done.

Thinking ahead and knowing we would have them cut I thought why not bring the small little sewing machine someone bought for me as an extra..well let me tell you, Walmart can keep their machines, frustrating beyong belief...took deep breathe and before I tossed it against the wall I put it back into it's case..know it's next stop, green garbage bin beside my house!!!

Shaking my head

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 18, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9279115

Oh, I agree with you on some of the cheap machines they sell! Some are made for target practice!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 18, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9279125

is that what I heard?????? LOL I've always wondered about those small machines at WM.. that's why I've not joined a group or taken classes around here yet, as I don't have a portable machine. I've looked at those, but wasn't sure how long they would hold up. Basically all I would need for class would be a straight stitch or one with basic ZZ and maybe a blanket stitch? Maybe an old hand crank like the one Mom bought me for Christmas one year... ;-)
Not to be nosy, just wondering... what kind of office do you work in that you can sew while you work? I was reading somewhere on a diet blog that a lady does all her squats, leg lifts and arm toners at her desk... guess I haven't been in too many offices to see how all this works! How nice that you can sew at work, though! That would be a prime job for me, too!
On another subject, I still haven't decided on a quilt for the niece's black, red and white.. although I did find some ABC123 print at the LQS today. The print lends itself to small blocks, wondering if I can incorporate each one into a tumbling block design, using one side of the block with this print, then the other 2 sides with dark and medium blenders in red, blue, yellow and oranges? The print has a whitish background, so I could use that as my light side. Then maybe incorporate black into the border with piano keys of the black and blenders? The girl at the dentist office suggested RWB Irish Chain, which would be really cool too, but not 'baby' enough for me. I'd make one of those and probably keep it... LOL
Little Annabella's quilt will be pink and purple butterflies,,, haven't started on that one either. Not enough time in the day...
By the way, on a search today for pattern ideas, I ran into this Amish Country Lane site that offers quilts for sale. And wow, the RWB Star on the first pic is awesome!!! The second one was another site, forgot to note on my save folder, but love it too.
The other two block quilts are being considered...

http://www.amishcountrylanes.com/Pages/hs5071.shtml

Thumbnail by Kizmo   Thumbnail by Kizmo   Thumbnail by Kizmo   Thumbnail by Kizmo   

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

September 18, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9279127

I talked a woman in JoAnn's out of buying a cheap machine there right in front of the salesperson. Actually she agreed with me and said almost every one of them are returned. I'd rather buy a good quality second hand machine than one of those pieces of crap that will just be frustration.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

September 18, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #9279131

Kathy, I'm really liking that ABC on the end, perfect for either a girl or boy.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 18, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9279133

I spent today hanging quilts for the show this weekend. I am indeed humbled after seeing some of these quilts. There were a doz or so I'd just love to have on my bed.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 18, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9279139

I kept thinking on that one, Karen... bigger blocks, quicker to put together, scrap buster (and my hubby says I really need to 'bust my scraps...', he couldn't find something on my cutting table yesterday...LOL) on the border. The 3rd pic fits the size of the print, once I fussy cut them out, but the last pic would need appliqued. I'm weighing my options at this point..especially since it has that key border, and I really like those on kids quilts!
A lady at WM said she had made a tumbling block and it wasn't too bad after you made the first few, so I figured I could attempt at least one to see. One of these days I'd love to do one with a black background... as long as I can get the pretty black Amish fabric from Keepsake, absolutely love the feel and the depth of color to it.
I found a WOW fabric at the LQS that had baby bottles, pacifiers, etc pattern, so cute, but $$... LOL but I bought some anyway, couldn't resist.. The first pic resembles a tumbling block, but is made in blocks by sewing the yellow and blue triangle corners onto the red square. that would be easy-peasy I think. The butterfly is from McCalls, Sondra posted one that she had made earlier, but without the little hearts on the dresden wings. Kristen picked out the pinks and purples while she was here, and I have some baby blues and greens to add here and there. Just need to get started cutting wedges..

Thumbnail by Kizmo   Thumbnail by Kizmo         

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 18, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9279143

Jean, do these quilts all have sleeves to hang them from or ? I've only been to 2 quilt shows, and was so overwhelmed with the artwork I forgot to look to see if people added hanging sleeves on those big quilts!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 18, 2012
2:16 PM

Post #9279155

Betty - wondered why the "air was blue" around Canada... did it really cross the border, too?!?! LOL

Just got a call from my friend, Doug. He's 78, and having probs with him computer... he keeps asking someone to fix it, and they don't explain what they're doing so he gets confused with the results.
I'm going over to see what's up, and help him.
So, I was going to say more, but no time right now...
Chat later!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 18, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9279159

Kathy - there is a cheater tumbling blocks pattern. The darkest fabric is cut in a triangle and you put the blocks together in strips. It is SUPER easy & no Y seams.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

September 18, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9279165

Kathy that looks so easy, You could put the alphabet blocks where the red squares are. Where did you find this pattern?

This message was edited Sep 18, 2012 4:32 PM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 18, 2012

Post #9279174

Kathy, I work for a bankruptcy firm, family business (owned by BIL). He is very clear that I am to only answer calls/do initial consultation...I would say I have at least 5 hrs out of a 7 1/2 hour day to 'play' at something..he encourages e to bring in something to work on so I'll not be bored. I now have calls transferred to my home Fridays so that I can have more time for myself..funny thing is when I was first employed by American Express, 3rd person in Canada at their office I did a major hiring and most I work with today I hired back then..early 70's..

I did go on kijiji and looked up sewing machines..there was one that said almost new kenmore (owner doesn't like sewing) selling for $75, was posted last night so I emailed but am doubtful its still for sale but hoping I get an email saying it is. You really need a basic but good machine when sewing at studios because it's hard on the good machines moving from place to place.

Good to know that Joann machines aren't much better..

I so love the butterfly quilt the best, star comes a close 2nd
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 18, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9279189

Jean..Ive been trying to get on the site for the quilt show to find out the details. All day it just says Bandwhich wont let you on because the server has met its limits. Where is it being held.

Quilt shows always do me in. As much as I like color, patterns interesting blocks. To this day, the most amazing thing I ever saw was a whole cloth white quilt that had been hand quilted in with the most amazing and intiricate quilting Ive ever seen. And, of course, every single stitch, no matter how long you looked at the quilt, perfect size and perfect spacing.

I agree about needing a sewing machine just for taking around and such.

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 18, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9279211

Jacksonville Quilt Show is at the Prime Osborne Convention Center, 1000 Water St.
Thur - Sat 9AM - 5 PM

Try this link: http://www.jaxevents.com/?event=quilt-fest-2012

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 18, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9279244

back... poor Doug - he let's his landlord/friend's son work on his computer and the fellow is always messing Doug's computer up. Today I went over, and when you turn the computer on, it says "windows didn't start properly - repair, or start windows normally" No matter what you choose, the computer would turn itself off.
I checked the Bios, and had it choose "hard disk" for startup, turned off the other computer Doug has hooked up to it, and the computer I was working on finally started Windows normally. It did take a few tries, but finally got it so it asked the right questions and I answered it, and then it "repaired" itself. Now it works all the time, but Don't try to get on the internet - it will turn off... and Don't have the other computer connected, or it will turn off...
Dunno what the fellow did, but he messed up Doug's computers...
I REALLY don't know why Doug has 2 computers - all he does is email, Powerpoint, and Skype... he saves a lot of Powerpoint files, but has enough room on his one computer for that. oh, btw - he also has a laptop (the other 2 are desktop computers, each with their own CPU)...
When he's so easily confused by computers, I think it's a shame he has so many to confuse him...
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 18, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9279246

LOL...testosterone / electronics, what can you say.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

September 18, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9279259

Sounds like he might need to do a re-format to his hard drive.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 18, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9279469

He needs to get rid of extra computers...
He has both desktop computers plugged into one internet connection... and one power supply. Not sure I want to even GO There...

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 18, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #9279522

Karen, it was a site where the pattern was for sale:
http://suedollinquilts.deviantart.com/art/Tumbling-Blocks-Cot-Quilt-87923069
I'll have to try cutting one of letters to make a block to see how big it will come out. The print is approx 2", so I would have to add to it to make the bigger square...

Jean, I found a YouTube by Marci Baker on easy tumbling blocks, it may be the same one you're speaking of. It does look less stressful...LOL

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

September 18, 2012
9:01 PM

Post #9279583

Thank you Kathy I made a request for the pattern.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 18, 2012
9:44 PM

Post #9279597

Love the butterflies, where can I get the pattern???

what about the missouri star easy pinwheels for a black and white and red quilt?? lots of possible variations / color schemes you could go with on those..

alll red pinwheels, with black and white for backgrounds...all black pin wheels, with red and white for backgrounds...some red pinwheels, some black pinwheels, with white background...etc..etc... oh la la I may have to try one!!! LOL

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2012
4:34 AM

Post #9279686

Sondra said the butterfly pattern came from a McCalls, maybe a 2003 issue? I haven't located it yet thru the back issues, but haven't had alot of time to look for it. I've seen RBW pinwheel quilts, they are really pretty!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2012
4:52 AM

Post #9279707

I do believe I have that butterfly pattern and another similar one (that I know I can locate).
I've attached the BF pattern I have.

Thumbnail by Qwilter

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2012
5:08 AM

Post #9279721

Love those butterflies, they look like dresden plates with a heart applique, then the bodies are appliqued also? So pretty!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9279732

Actually the body is a "fan" then you make the edges wavy after it is pieced. The body is appliqued on & embroidered the antennae.
I hand stitched the wavy wings to the body - much easier than sewing the curves on machine.

And I'm still searching for my box of quilt patterns...I know they are here somewhere!!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

September 19, 2012
5:31 AM

Post #9279733

Betty, the machine I was talking about at JoAnn was very cheap(less than $100) I think it was a Singer. The lady looking at it wanted to buy a first machine for her daughter. I believe a difficult to work machine will take an interested person and turn them into a frustrated non-sewer.Even the sales person said it ran very rough. Some JoAnn stores have a separate sewing machine sales area. Those look to be nice machines but of course they are also more expensive.

I would consider buying a used machine from a sewing machine repair person. It might be a bit more than buying on Ebay but you could at least try it first. I would buy on Ebay if they had a return policy. So far I've been very happy with Ebay purchases. I think most sellers are honest. Always check their feedback.

I was waiting for a printer I had purchased when I got an email that they had tried it before shipping and it had a problem so they refunded my payment. It was disappointing but I appreciated their honesty.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 19, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9279751

I went on Kijiji and there was an e-mail saying she still had the Kenmore, could I meet her at 6:00pm..that would mean my staying in town for 1 1/2 hrs, makes for a late night. E-mailed back as she came back with just maybe she could get away from work long enough for me to view and buy if a good deal. here's hoping she can..for $75, would be worth paying to have a 2nd drag along machine.

Sure love that butterfly quilt..
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9279821

I've had 3 Kenmores and they were all wonderful machines. Gave 2 away & still have my 35 y/o one. Being all metal it is VERY heavy.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9279856

This message was edited Sep 19, 2012 11:11 AM

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2012

Post #9279874

Jean, your quilt looks the same, just difference in the way the wings are finished. I have tons of mags here, but don't have past McCalls, unless I've gotten a few from friends. If you could find it for particulars, that would be great. If not, I'll just wing it. I'm still looking thru McCalls past issues, but so far, no luck.
There's supposed to be a sewing machine place around here that repairs and resells, I just haven't taken a day to go find it. The few I've been to really push to buy the new ones they carry... An old Singer or a Brother would work for me.

Oh by the way, check out what I bought at the Antique Tractor show this past weekend... check out the cotton batting underneath, it's not a mouse nest. The dealer said it's been sitting around in storage since they've had it, obviously it hasn't been touched as there's all sorts of 'treasures of the past' in the drawers and underneath. Even found a couple square nails.. No belt, but everything turns.

Thumbnail by Kizmo   Thumbnail by Kizmo   Thumbnail by Kizmo   Thumbnail by Kizmo   

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 19, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9279909

Betty - here's hoping the machine is in good order and you have one for stay-at-work use!!

Kathy - a Pathfinder? Never heard of it before. What a bunch of treasures!! May I ask what you paid for it?

I love butterflies,and once I get my house "under control" and some of the UFOs done, I'm going to work on some "stained glass" banners for the Church THEN do my Madam Butterfly quilt... yikes and away...!! LOL I love butterflies!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 19, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9280236

Love the antique sewing machine..

Picking up the Kenmore at 4:30
She said it was still in the original box..cardboard box so looks as though it should be in good shape. I shall not banter about the price $75 for a good machine is reasonable.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

September 19, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9280244

Oh wow Kiz, what a find. Gotta know it's over 100 years old. I hope you'll lay out all the "treasures" so we can see them. I love old sewing notions.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 19, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9280259

I "googled" the Pathfinder, and they were made by the Davis company, late 1910 to early 1920's
So, it will soon be 100 years old! What a find!!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 19, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9280273

Wish I would have kept my grandmother's Singer..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 19, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9280282

Betty - ya can't have everything!! lol

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 19, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9280304

working on 3 flower girl dresses. I'll post pics when they are done.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9280309

I pd $75 for it, found an old ad online from yesteryear that priced them around $30.00 new.

Thumbnail by Kizmo

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 19, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9280326

wow - that IS a good price. The one I saw online, in PA, was $100.
Good for you!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 19, 2012

Post #9280340

Now that is a bargain..will watch for one in my neck of the woods..think though everyone knows their value and unlikely would ever find one under the $200-$300 mark.

Paid $75. for this Kenmore..smaller,lighter to carry around. Tried it, nice sound to it..really just for straight sewing, will do the trick.

The little Walmart sewing machine was purchased last year..don't carry same this year but in principle next time I'm in their store will drop it off knowing I won't get refund but just tell them they should be ashamed selling such junk to the public..worth the $100 it cost to buy it just to not leave it in a corner but to hand it back.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 19, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9280439

Bully for you, Betty - you tell 'em!!!
The other machine looks good and sturdy!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9280544

WOW Kiz what a find!!!

Jean, love that one too. would love to be able to find the patterns for both of them...

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9280548

nice machine, Betty! My DIL has one like that from her mother, although she has no interest in sewing yet. However, Micah has used it to mend his clothes, make halloween costumes for their godsons and a 'santa bag' for Christmas gifts. I've used it, too, makes nice stitches.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 20, 2012
9:00 PM

Post #9281686

New thread! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1281024/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America