-
AuthorContent
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 31, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #9261123

Waiting for the rains from the former hurricane.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 1, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9261280

we are too.
could use the rain.
things are a bit slow today. i m not feeling very well ?
so i m claiming a day to do nothing but veg in the tv room .
hope everyone is doing good today
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9261590

Truck is fixed and reassembled and tested with a Lowe's run.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 1, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9261595

woohooo. always nice to have wheels running again.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #9261640

Lumber runs in the bil's metro were getting tiring. His truck is also down (transmission). Of the two mine was an easier fix. He knows he is welcome to use it any time he needs to.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 1, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9261847

Dyson, glad your truck is fixed. I hope ours is fixed soon. I hate being without a way to haul things.

Sue, hope you are feeling better. We need rain to. We are getting a light shower right now. I wish it would last all night. Those are the ones that do the most good.

DH and I had a good day. We went to a nearby state park for a gospel singing. It lasts 3 days and this is the 62nd year for it. We took a picnic and had a relaxing day. We sure needed it. After we got home, DH settled down to the LSU game while I did the feeding and milking. Now I am enjoying the game while catching up here. Hope you all have a good night.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 1, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9261915

Dyson, congrats on fixing the truck!

Sue, sorry you are feeling punky... but it's probably expected considering the stress you have been enduring.

Caj, how nice to have a peaceful picnic!

Nik, where are you... we need updates!

NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9262381

Updates: I don't have the GF anymore. I married her so now she's the better Half. I was sick for a while this summer with some kind of thyroid issue. I lost 70 lbs and the hatchery let me go. But things at the farm are going well. I am getting my strength back and doing more work everyday. Eric at TSC in Bellefontaine said he could put me to work in October. So that'll be great (I need the discount if nothing else) We aren't starting on the cabin until next spring. We paid off the farm and we're putting away cash every month. I have a neighbor who is a contractor, he's going to do our basement, and the cabin itself is being built by Amos Gingrich. I am doing the plumbing, and a cousin down in Brookville, Oh is going to do the electric. I hope to have the driveway cut and graveled, and power and water and phone back there by the time we start construction. Another neighbor is doing my septic system.

We are going to have 2 kitchens, the main one up stairs, and a canning kitchen in the basement. I already have all the equipment for the basement kitchen. The upstairs kitchen will have a double (electric) oven, a drop in (propane) 5 burner range top, a new wardrobe style fridge and a good dishwasher. we are going to go with a tankless water heater and a whole house filtration system rather than a softener. I'm hoping to have a woodburning furnace. Not a wood stove, but a real furnace. A lot of the New Order Amish around me have them, and their homes are quite warm in the winter.

the garden did so-so. I have to admit I didn't put as much into it as I should have. I was pretty sick and we had a serious drought. We raised and already sent to freezer camp, 125 cornish cross chickens. Did them in 2 batches. One of 75, and the second of 50. We also have a dozen Broad breasted bronze turkeys that are going to be butchered in mid November. I did no pigs this year, but I have one reserved from an amish feller I know over in La Rue, Ohio. My neighbors give me a quarter of a steer whenever they butcher in payment for the pasture. I bought a bunch of veggies from the produce auction up in Hardin County and we have been freezing, canning and pickling them.

There are some of the updates for you. And before anyone asks: yes I still had time to make and fly a lot of kites this summer. What has everyone else been up to?

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9262702

amazing ... all i manged to do was drink a few beers.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 2, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9262867

We had our DGSs for the summer and we had all kinds of things planned. Fishing, camping, trailriding, sightseeing. But DH's foot took a bad turn and we spent most of the summer in the hospital, infusion center and doctor's offices. Ended up having an amputation to mid calf just before the boys went back home. It has been a rough summer here.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 4, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9264627

Congrats Nik on the new nuptuals. :) Sorry to hear of the illness and the loss of job. Glad to hear things are doign well at your farm and your body is healing .
Dyson i think i m along the same lines ... most days i just managed a few beers myself .
Well we got the apple pressing room all cleaned up today. took 4 hrs..
still having trouble finding anyone to help out this apple season. my boss hired a lady but she is having foot surgery so she will be out next week . He did hire another gal but honestly ... i can't see her making it ??? this is hard labor intense work . She is older and is very thin ... i know i should not judge but...I think many people don't realize how much labor and hard work goes into cider pressing. We do it all by hand.
so if any of you want a cider job... let me know :)
well i guess i should get to the grocery .
been raining off and on today. hope to make it while its not raining and before kids get out from school.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

September 4, 2012
11:41 AM

Post #9264675

Hey! Careful there! I'm old and thin and can probably work circles around most folk but I don't need a job - sounds like my kind of work though. Good luck!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 4, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #9264684

Nik, sorry to hear you had bad thyroid problems, and hope they are straightened out now. On the upside, Congrats on the new bride! The plans for the cabin and 2 kitchens sound great!

Freezing, canning, pickling and dehydrating is a never-ending job around here!

Sue, I'd come and work on cider pressing for a few days if it wasn't so danged far away!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 4, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9264876

LOL Sorry pork... when i said think i should have said really really thin ! , this lady was really thin . I bet you can run circles around most folk. My MIL is 85 and she runs circles around me most days.
darius i thought of you too . Yep that would be a travel for you.
I m feeling pretty good ... i actually cooked ! and washed dishes. I have not done that in several months.
I m defrosting some deer meat i got from a friend. I sure hope it has no freezer burn ? but i may dehydrate it and make some jerky . its a small piece.
I will get some apples also to make pie fillings. apple sauce and some cinammon apple wedges.
got a new cooke book Plenty Vibrant vegtable recipes from London's Ottdenghi.
looks like some yummy stuff in it
anyone got any advice on garlic in tomato juice ? . i did some tomato juice with roasted garlic. Pureed the tomato with garlic and did process with a BWB
or did i ask this already ??
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2012
5:04 AM

Post #9265490

Sue, where are you doing apples? You're not out at Mad River farm market are you?

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #9265520

no i m in Urbana. Loudens Apple Orchard
today is picking apple day
kids have a fog delay , i hate those ...
good day to everyone
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9266132

Nik, congrats on the marriage.

One of my egg customers gave me a bunch of apples. They have bad spots but I take the good and give the bad to the animals. We all win. :)

Getting just a bit of rain here. The house shook pretty bad a bit ago. Must have set off a charge on the strip mining job. It's on the next mountain.

Went to help a friend with a sick goat. Couldn't do much. It appears to be neurological. Has symptoms that could be several things. Her muscles get stiff and her head pulls back toward her back. Her gait is very stiff and she falls over. Seems to be more affected on the right side. Felt like a fever also. She was still eating and drinking. I gave her some bute and she was resting when we left.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9266321

i have a sick chicken ? i thought she was broody but she acts more sick then broody ?
laying hens are all snotty and sneezing. Time to get out the Durmamycin ...
going to let my rooster go. he is just tearing up the girls. they need their feathers back or they will be very cold this winter.
anyone want a turkey ?
Caj sorry to hear of the goat illness. IT does sound like it is neurological ... ?
oh we also got our new bunny today. she is a doe , 5 months old. Netherland Dwarf. chestnut color.
well i hope you all have a good night , sleep well friends
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2012
3:40 AM

Post #9266670

I'm not sure where Louden's is, although I've heard of it. I am heading that way in a few days; I have friends down by Lippencott's who have been bugging me to come down. SO, I reckon we'll go a visiting in the next week or so.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9266744

cool . let me know . We have more cutomers then apples at moment. The drought sure has taken a toll on apples this year.
most are on the ground. By Gov't Health standards we can't sell or use them...
well off to do apples
porkpal
Richmond, TX

September 6, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9266792

Can you market the fallen apples for animal feed?

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9267092

we do sell them for animal feed. I take a bucket home of the apple pulp for my chickens. I m surprised that not many other farmers do that ? but it is a bit more work .
if i had hogs i would be feeding my pigs, acorns, and apples ! mmmmm good bacon.
well i didn't get much food prepped for my winter :( hope to get some apple sauce making in this weekend and dehydrate apples and apple sauce fruit rolls. i love them ! oh so good.
got my silkee roo in with the two girls. One is broody so i m getting a head start. since they live in the basement i don't have to worry about the winter cold.
i may have her hatch out 6
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9267421

Sounds like a plan, Sue. It is possible to make cider without a press? I just love cider.

I need to pick my beans and tomatoes tomorrow. I planted a late crop of beans. I think I will do all Cherokee Wax beans next year. We like those. They are also early beans so I can plant several crops. Thinking about making me a strawberry tower out of stacked flower pots. I saw it on FB. Looks pretty easy. You drive a stake in the ground. I have tall roof bolts from the mines. It's big pieces of rebar with tops on them so I can drive them in with the post driver. You put a large pot over the stake and fill it with soil. Then you put a bit smaller one on top of that one and fill it with soil. You keep doing that till you fill up the stake. Then you plant your berries in the rim of each pot. Looks like it would be easier to plant than those hanging strawberry planters. I can never get those to work. I have a stawberry pot I have never had any success with either. I can't keep the soil in around the plants and the bottom plants are always too dry.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9267462

I agree them strawberry pots never do much for me either ???
soundsl ike your busy Cajun. How is the DH and his healing ? tell him i m sending positive energy for him
I have no idea if you can do cider with out a press ? good question.
gave the UPS guy some garlic LOL
tired tonight folks
so i will see you all tomorrow
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9268514

We had a good day today. DH went on a little drive by himself. Went to the little community store and visited a while. Used his walker. Those kinda things make him feel more confident and really lift his spirits. Makes me feel good too.

We went to the wound care doc yesterday and he was very happy with the stump. He took off a few spots of hard, dried scab so the incision can finish healing.

Mailed my Momma a package yesterday. I called her this evening but she had just come back from her first treatment and was so worn out she had gone to bed. I'll call her in the morning.

I have a batch of yogurt incubating. I hope it turns out well. The milk was a bit "blinky". That's a local term for turning.

Sue, what do you do to get the apples ready to go into the press?
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2012
4:41 AM

Post #9268711

i give my hogs all the apples I can get for free or near to it.Three years ago I had 6 hogs and between them they got over 2 tons of the darn things. That made for awesome bacon and hams. especially as I smoked everything with wood from a crabapple I had cut out of the fenceline.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 8, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9268769

Well the one lady didn't show up for work yesterday so me and my boss did it all . We only did 45 gals so it wasn't to bad. Just don't know what happened to her ?
the only thing we do to get apples ready for cider is wash and sort. get all the rotted ones. then he has a mix he likes to do. One bushel sweet, then alternate with a tart . then a sweet.
yesterdays mix was empire, jonathon and a tart green, not a granny can't recall its name .
well we got a pretty st rong storm last night. rained bunches
my silkie that is broody has no eggs ? i believe she is " set out " so my timing was off . i didn't get the rooster in her cage in time. :( and my other silkie is eating her eggs !!! so i can't use hers. So i am going to get my other laying hens and hope one of theres is fertile ? . I will take the rooster and three hens and keep them in a cage for a few days. Lets hope it works ?
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 8, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9268829

Nik, sounds like some awesome tasting meat. I wish we could raise another pig to eat but we don't have a good pen. We don't have much meat left from the two we butchered.
Nearly everybody here has at least one apple tree but few people bother spraying them. The apples fall to the ground and rot all over. A lady who buys eggs from me has about 7 different kinds of apple trees. She tries to spray hers but she is elderly and it never gets done right. She has lots of apples but they have a lot of bad spots. She always gives me some. I don't mind cutting off the bad spots. I freeze them for fried apples.

Sue, by broodies are a bantam hen and a game hen. Neither of them lay well and it's not their eggs I want to hatch. I give them my EE's eggs. I have a bantam roo but I don't want any bantam chicks right now. I had him in with my big hens in hopes of hatching some bantam EEs but it didn't happen.

It rained here earlier and looks like we will get some more. I am not complaining. We need it. Been in a drought so I've had to water the garden. That is a chore I don't enjoy.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9268875

Got the license plate lights working on the truck - it had been daytime use only - and then the fuel pump quit again. I dread pulling the bed again but it is going to happen as soon as I get the replacement.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 8, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9268931

Dyson, you are like me... if we didn't have Bad Luck we'd have no luck at all~
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9270627

Wouldn't it be simpler to drop the tank? That's what I did when I replaced the pump on my GMC pick up.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2012
7:16 AM

Post #9270649

Truck is operational again - nick it was much easier to pull the bed and not unmount the tank from the frame, six bolts and two cables (both with disconnect plugs), No worry about spilling fuel.
While I was into it I took care of the broken tail pipe mount now held in place with a wire coat hanger - it may not last forever, but as long as it out last me.
Off to the library, then some yard work.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9270736

My truck needs a new steering column. DS put a piece of reinforcement rod in it so we could move it.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 10, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9271163

70 gallons of cider pressed today.
trained a new girl ... oh lets hope she can do this. She has a back issue so i m cautious .
tired today
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9271945

Got the bike insured for the next year, had it inspected last month, tags by the end of the this month and I have transportation for a year. Needs a back tire but not disparately.

Was going to rip the instrument panel out of the truck and work on some of the gauges, but the SIL needs to use it today. Guess I am back in the yard for awhile.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

September 12, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9273142

A friend and I started on the shop yesterday. We got everything moved that had to moved and today we have been working on putting in insulation. I have a wood stove to go in there, so this winter I should be able to work on my wood working projects no matter what the outside is like. We should have the left and back walls done by tomorrow. Then we can build the workbench for the radial arm, and compound miterbox saws. We quit today because I had to get some blood drawn for a DR's appointment Friday. Sold 200 bucks work of chickens this AM, too. It's been a pretty good day so far.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9273439

You all sound industrious. I had to doctor a horse with a cut leg and a duck with an infected eye. Then DH had to start taking his prep meds for his colonoscopy tomorow morning so I have not been able to get far from the house. Hard enough to get to the bathroom quick enough with 2 good legs. Imagine if you only had one! I did manage to get everything fed and had the 2 does tied out for a couple hours.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9274472

Great news! DH's test was clean. No problems with his colon at all. God is so good. That is a huge weight off our minds.

I have been feeling bad for 2 days now so I will go to bed early tonight. Sick at my stomach like my ulcer is kicking up. Pain in my hip and knee, got a headache and sore throat and I have a crick in my neck. Joy, Joy.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

September 13, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9274499

Great news! Now get some rest!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 14, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9274745

yes that is good news Cajun. Get some rest. i will send healing energy to you for a quick recovery.
not much going on here
scored me some pure grape juice but it was pricey ! but well worth it. i only wish my budget would have allowed me more of it. i will do some grape jelly with it.
looks like cool temps today and some light rain chances.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9274997

Great news cajun!

Just got back from the thyroid doctor, it looks like I'll live. I even get to cut back on the thyroid drugs a mite.

Finally got the hospital bill from my accident in Indianapolis in August. $11,255.00!!!!! can you believe that?!? for 4 hours in the hospital emergency room. Glad the kid had insurance.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 14, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9275028

Nik, yuck on the insane ER bill. That's as bad as mine... 26 hours recently, half in the ER, to the tune of $13,200 just for the hospital, not the ER part which is covered 100% by Medicare. Haven't seen the doctor's bills yet, they are separate.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 19, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9279765

Happy Birthday, Caj!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9279933

Thanks so much. I am being lazy today. :) I let the goats out to browse this morning. Need to check on them.
Coffee's leg got better. Now Ben has a cold and he is getting gentimicin injections. Also wormed him yesterday. He is on the mend.

Picked the last of my beans and pulled the vines. Need to get the garlic, onions, peas and carrots planted now but it rained for 2 days. Looks like a good day today.

Going to have company next week. They will stay a week then I plan to ride to La with them and stay with my Momma for a week or 2. She is fading and I need to see her. Today will be her 3rd radiation treatment. DH is getting independant and he insists he can do without me for a little while.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 19, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9280294

happy birthday Caj
did 90 gals of cider today.
nothing compred to what we usually do but it works.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9280473

HB - Caj ! Worked on the back door to the house, did a repair on the shed/garage, changed the oil & filter on the shadow, got an estimate on a heat pump, tired, night all.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9280668

Sue, could you take some pics of the cider pressing operation? I'd love to learn more about it.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

September 19, 2012
9:24 PM

Post #9280701

Cajun, I'm so glad you are going to visit your mother! It will lift her spirits which is all-important for healing.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 20, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9280864

here we have
apples
then apples go through a bleach solution in the thingy that is green
press is the third pic
pours into smaller tank
then pumped into bigger tank. Don't know how much it holds over 100 gals
yesterday we did 90 gals
Caj how did the visit go with your mom ?
darius anything new in the cheese making or how did your garden grow this year ?
Dyson sounds like your fixing so many projects. anytime you need more fix it projects , come on over to my house :)
pork how is the weather in Texas ?

Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors
Click an image for an enlarged view.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

September 20, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9280886

How many bushels of apples does it take to produce 90 gallons?

We've been having great weather: sunny and high 80s in the day cool and low humidity at night.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 20, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9280945

I haven't done squat in cheesemaking this year... and my garden didn't do squat either. I need to dig the roots of the Belgian endive and put them in the dark to start sprouting in December... IF the underground critters didn't eat the roots!

I have 4-5 tomatoes that trying to ripen on the 2 plants that survived the summer. I've only had 3 fresh tomatoes all summer, and those were from a neighbor. The winter squash did poorly and the only abundance in the garden was summer squash.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 20, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9281277

15 gals per press and we did 6 presses , so 3 bushels per press ?? gave us 90
darius your garden sounds like my garden. didn't get much but garlic and buckets of jalepeno's

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 20, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9281354

Rats... I went out earlier to check my tomatoes and they have the BLIGHT! The plants are now in the burn pile, along with seedy weeds that I don't want in the compost pile.

I did get a decent harvest of shallots and garlic early in the summer, and now t's almost time to plant them again.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 20, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9281404

garlic did well for me this year too. i may need to cancel my order i did just in case i needed more garlic. seems i m 3 buckets full :)
pretty cool outside .
still need to get the garden ready
still have the mole in jessica's garden i have to get out of there. so i can plant my crocus and my iris and some daylilys
i m already thinking of next springs garden ? !! LOL is anyone else doing the same ?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 20, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9281418

Yes, I'm thinking about next year, but only in the back corners of my mind right now. I still have tree seedlings to plant (1 redbud and lots of elderberry cuttings that have grown nicely).

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 20, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9281425

i can't wait for the new SSE catolog and the some of the other ones... they are so pretty
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9281851

Sue are you a Seed Saver? If you order from them I would like to go in with you on a couple things. I don't really want to join the organisation. Hit me off list and we'll talk about it some more.

NKBRTN@YAHOO.COM

Thanks!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9281919

Nik, you can order from SSE without being a member. Their catalog is great but has a limited number of items. What a membership gives me is a thick paper catalog of a zillion heritage seeds, bulbs and tubers that other members have to sell or trade, rather than through SSE itself. Must be a million listings.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #9282263

Our company, BIL and SIL, should be here by Sunday. They will stay until the next Sunday or Monday and I will ride back to La with them then. Looking forward to it. I really want to see my Momma. I am bringing pictures and some letters that we will look at and read together. I am bringing my video camera to record it while we look and think of old times. She remembers old times pretty good still. Not sure yet if I will stay 1 week or I might stay 2 weeks.

Sue, thanks for the pics. So, the apples are just pressed whole without any heating or cooking of any kind and not mixed with any water? I would live to go on a field trip there. LOL

My tomatoes are about done and I have been happy with the cherries but the big ones did not do well. Squash did well, and so did the beans. I have pulled the beans hope to get to the tomatoes this week before I leave. Peppers did not do well and the eggplant was a bust. Hope to get things planted before I leave too. Elephant garlic, lettuce and peas.

Found a sad sight at the chicken coop yesterday. Either a coon or a big mink got in and killed 4 birds. Lost my bantam hen and roo, a RSL hen and my duck hen. Did some reinforcing around the walls and went back after dark with my flashlight and my pistol but didn't see anything. I hope they did well all night. I'll see when I go feed later. They have been molting and their feathers are just starting to come back in. Hope they will be back to laying soon. Picked up a new customer and I don't have many eggs right now. A friend is supposed to give me 3 pullets and I sure need them right now.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9282591

No Nik i m not a member , i just order from their regular catolog. Wish my budget could be a member. some day i will .
Cajun sorry to hear of the critter . hope you get em soon.
i sold 9 of my hens. they just didn't lay and they ate their eggs ! so off they went to auction.
had a big storm come through tonight. still just at the tail end of it.
we will see what damage is in the morning.
did 125 gals today... whew the new girl kicked it into hight gear too. i do think she has got it. She is a nice girl and i enjoy working iwth her but i do think she is dyslexic ? so some things i still need to help her on.
i canceled my garlic order and will just do what i have here. i just don't know where i will be next summer.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9282636

Sue, are you thinking of moving?

Lost another RSL hen last night. Did some more work on the coop and set a live trap in the feed room baited with cat food. Whatever I catch won't be alive for long. Grrr

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9283394

Go get em Cajun. ! :)
i just don't know where i will be mentally.
I m still trying to get things in the ground for my own gardens .
i just look at the plants and the heart just won't let me do much with it.
HOnestly i was not looking forward to planting 500 garlic either LOL . I will do only 100 again this year.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9283517

Nothing in my trap today and I didn't lose any more birds. But I'd sure like to kill whatever it is.

I need to get my elephant garlic planted. Have any of you ever grown it? I bought a big clove at Walmart. It has about 6 toes on it so I'll seperate them and plant them this week.

Our company got here tonight. They had a good trip.

Went to my egg customer's house today to let her know I wouldn't have any eggs until the hens start laying again. Ended up picking up apples with her and she gave me another big box of Arkansas Blacks. They are delish and great for cooking.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9283736

oh i m jealous on them apples Cajun ! Yes i have grown the elephant garlic. Mine this year didn't get so big but its much bigger then the ones in the store . so i m happy :) i love it .
got 3 eggs under my white silkie
got two in the incubator
getting two new cochins in october and a new paint silkie. cockerel.
we are selling our two blue splash, she eats her eggs and the male is wanting nothing to do with her ? unless he is a " do it in the dark only " kind of guy ? i will wait until our eggs hatch or don't hatch. that will give me my answer LOL
i do have plenty of garden work to do
still need to catch the digging mole ? or what ever it is out in jessica's garden.
pretty muddy out there so i may not dig plants
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 23, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9284425

Beautiful day today. Cool but not cold, sunny and breezy. Two good church services. Got the animals all fed in good time. Let the goats out to browse for a couple hours. I spent a good bit of time working in my tomato bed. Most of the plants were about spent so I pulled them and the cages. Still need to clean the bed up. Got a few weeds and a bit of grass that needs to come out. I left the gooseberry plant. It is blooming and has a few of the paper husk covered fruits on. Good chance of frost tonight so I put the frost cover on and pinned it down. Guess the chickens will get the 6 imature melons still on the vines. Grrr. I'm planning to heat my hoop house with Christmas lights in early Spring and hope to get my melons blooming by the time they can be set out in the garden. Maybe then they will actually get ripe. And to add insult to injury, the Charleston Gray that only set one melon, is now blooming to beat the band.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 25, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9285802

well i think i m falling of the deep end. LOL
i have been buying silkies like crazy ! for our next 4 h fair..
so far i m up to 6 i better get cracking at getting some cages LOL
also gave one silkie a bath . yes a bath... LOL i am hoping it helps get the boys into action :)
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9287965

The tree in the back yard is a pear - that has been neglected for years. Boxwood and Mulberry were crowding it on all sides. I spent most of yesterday and this morning cutting and clearing them out. The next step is to get rid of the Virginia Creeper that has infested it. Then in winter I will have to figure out how to prune it - there are lots of dead limbs so some of the decisions have been made for me.

Care to all.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 28, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9289254

I just shelled the "harvest" from my hazelnut tree, now about 4 years old. Last year was the first year for nuts, and I had a whopping 15 nuts! This year was better... about 125 nuts.

I hope to take some cuttings next spring, but I also want to order a few more seedlings.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9291549

Sue, you sound like a match maker for chickens. LOL

Dyson, good luck with the pear tree. I sure wish I had some mulberry trees. I have one I am growing from seed. It is one year old now and is in a pot. I think it is a white one.

Darius, great news on the chestnut tree. Down the bayou we had a pecan tree and I loved it. It was a heavy bearing tree even though it was young and it sure was nice having all the nuts I needed.

Got my beds cleaned. Planted Black Seeded Simpson, Butter Crunch, Endive (which is a first for me), bunching onions and an Italian Salad blend. We shall see how it all turns out.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 1, 2012
4:46 AM

Post #9291774

Caj LOL
darius congrat on the nuts ! I thought about getting chestnut tree's but just didn't get in gear.
well another day in cider land for me.
off and running

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 1, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9291898

Sue, I plan to put in a chestnut tree, as well as more hazelnuts. A chestnut tree hasn't been a priority since my neighbor has one that produces far more nuts than he can use. However, this year his tree didn't have any nuts, while my biggest black walnut (about 15" in diameter) had the largest amount of nuts (and large ones!) fall since I've been here, probably 4 times as many as usual. They fall right on the driveway at the edge of the road so there are smashed nuts everywhere from being driven over.

Too bad I don't like black walnuts.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 1, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9292471

not many people know what to do with chestnuts ? funny . we have shag bark hickory nuts and wow do they hurt on the noggin when you stand under a tree at the wrong moment " ouch "
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9292512

new thread for October

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1282862/
Sammi_V
Flowery Branch, GA

October 29, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9318769

What a lovely blog to find!! I was drawn to this one because of Dyson. The name, that is. It's my grandmother's maiden name - she was from Yorkshire, West Riding, Slaithewaite in England. I found where she came through Ellis Island, which was pretty cool. So glad to hear folks are getting Hazelnuts. I have a three year old tree that put out these things for the first time that I assume will be nuts. The companion I had bought to cross pollinate with it died, so I finally got that replaced this year. The oak trees are dropping acorns by buckets, so the hogs are in...well, hog heaven. Mmmm! Can't wait for this crop to be butchered. Not making any more cheese right now. We have milk sheep, but the last ewe has been dried up before lambing. Moved all the citrus trees in and dug up some peppers last night because we were slated to have frost. No frost, but my living room is a jungle right now, so hopefully I'll get a little rearranging done today. Company coming Wednesday, but they'll just have to live with it! All those pepper plants were LOADED, and I was not going to give them up! Need to get up to Ellijay this week, too, and get a few bushels of apples before they are gone. So happy to find this place with folks doing stuff I like to do.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 29, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9318873

Slaithewaite? My family traces back to Hampsthwaite, Yorkshire, England.

Glad you joined us!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 29, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9319215

welcome Sammi
darius are you still dry ? and hope everything and you are safe and comftable
very cold here today but i won't complain LOL
tomorrow is sauce day making get rid of some apples in my fridge . i wll also do some apple fruit roll ups in the dehydrator. mmmm them is good.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Homesteading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Share your homesteading experiences and dreams. PeggieK 246 Jul 4, 2012 8:18 PM
Ways to "Live off the land", share your ideas PeggieK 149 Mar 25, 2010 10:10 AM
Looking for possible partners in a homestead darius 71 Mar 24, 2012 3:49 PM
Explain makshi 49 Aug 6, 2008 2:36 PM
Ducks vs. Chickens nivlac 85 Apr 23, 2013 6:45 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America