-
AuthorContent
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 1, 2012
1:35 AM

Post #9261178

There's always room for more folks to join us. If you're just stumbling upon our September thread or have lurked in the past and would like to join the fun, here's how our group works. During your Birth Month, you will receive a Birthday Card from each of the other participants. And in turn, you are to mail a Birthday Card to each participant during their Birth Month. Who doesn't enjoy receiving a thoughtful Card instead of junk mail and bills? A Card and a 1st Class Stamp, it's as simple as that. Purchased and handcrafted Cards are both welcome. Come on and have some fun!!!!

September Birthday(s):
GAgirl1066 / Paula -- September 1

Current Birthday Club Members:
Rouxcrew / Joy -- January 15
Irisluvr0252 / Debbie -- February 25
ClanCampbell / Chris -- February 28
hartzell81 / Heather -- March 3
Goldhillal / Crystal -- March 21
Carolyn22 / Carolyn -- April 3
AmandaEsq / Amanda -- April 6
FruitoftheVine / Susan -- April 9
Crit / Patti -- May 10
Mud_Elf / Kris -- May 10
taters55 / Linda Kay -- June 13
texaslady62 / Lori -- June 27
kohndr / Kobi -- July 2
Goober_Fairy/Kaitlyn -- August 5
GAgirl1066 / Paula -- September 1
GardenQuail / Michelle -- October 28
Dahtzu / Faye -- December 25
Hope43 / Twyla -- December 28

In April, we agreed these folks will be responsible to start new monthly threads:
Goldhillal (Crystal) -- January
Rouxcrew (Joy) -- February
Carolyn22 (Carolyn) -- March
Irisluvr0252 (Debbie) -- April
AmandaEsq (Amanda) -- May
FruitoftheVine- (Susan) -- June
Crit (Patti) -- July
taters55 (LK) -- August
GardenQuail (Michelle) -- September
taters55 (LK) -- October
GAgirl1066 (Paula) -- November
ClanCampbell (Chris) -- December

This message was edited Sep 1, 2012 1:37 AM

This message was edited Sep 17, 2012 5:39 PM

Thumbnail by GardenQuail
Click the image for an enlarged view.

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 1, 2012
2:19 AM

Post #9261186

Hi, all!
First, thanks to my husband for helping me get this set up :)
The picture above is of a cake I decorated at a cakes and crafts Night hosted by the Women's Ministries at my church several years ago. For a couple of years or so, they hosted an evening each month where women could come and enjoy delicious cakes and do various crafts. One evening, the special "craft" of the month was cake decorating. I did most of the decorating, though I had a little help here and there. Then we got to take our cakes home to share with friends and family. Had my husband take a picture before the cake was cut :) And, now, here's the perfect opportunity to share it with my gardening friends!
Paula, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope your weekend is a special one!
Michelle
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 1, 2012
4:26 AM

Post #9261220

Thank you Linda and Michelle!

The cake looks yummy! What a neat idea..that had to be such fun!

Nothing special going on...My daughter left yesterday to go with one of her friends to the lake for the weekend and my husband and son are going to be hunting all day. Dove season opens today at 12;00 noon. So I thought it would be the perfect time for some 'ME' time. I'm going to our house on the coast and shop all day long...LOL I will probably eat at Olive Garden (one of my favs) because they have the never ending pasta, soup, and salad. Yummmm!
I'm going to go to every nursery I can find and then I need to go to the fabric store and see if I can find some fabric to make curtains for my sons room. Still don't have the first curtain in the new house, BUT that's the way I want it. Way out in the country and we built it to have views from each room..so why cover them up. Got to put something in son's room mostly because of the sun.

Everyone have a wonderful day..gonna be a 'cooker' here...took my doggie out this morning and started to sweat just standing there at 7:00 in the morning. Horrible humidity!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9261503

Hope you have a nice and quiet Birthday!
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9261708

LK, thank you for hosting last month - I really enjoyed reading all the trivia! Elliot Gould was born in 1938?? Wow..

I'm going to have to wait till Tues to get my card out to Paula - long day today and by the time I realized what time it was.. it was TOO late for the PO.. dang it!

Michelle, I love that butterfly cake.. those blue colors are wonderful!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 2, 2012
12:15 AM

Post #9262035

Hi, all.
The cake and craft nights were definitely fun! And I got to try several crafts that I wouldn't have tried on my own.
FYI, the colors in the cake are actually purple (a bluish-purple), yellow, and black.
Paula, hope you enjoyed your shopping trip :) Visiting plant nurseries sounds like a lot of fun, especially if you get to purchase plants, too! Oh, and do tell us what plants you get! Looks like my card will be going out Tuesday, as well.
I was just looking through our list of participants above. There are several ladies whom we haven't heard from in a while. If you correspond with them or see them around in other threads, please head them in our direction :) It would be good to hear from them again!
Have a great Sunday, everyone!
Michelle
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9262282

To my favorite GA Peach, hope your long week-end Birthday at the beach is all you hope for and more! Don't forget to wiggle your toes in the sand for me.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9262587

Happy Birday Paula!!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 2, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9262618

Hi, all.
Hi, Neener! Glad you could stop by :)
Fruity, I thought of you on Friday. We got together with some friends to go to Santa Cruz to listen to a music concert on the beach.
Michelle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 4, 2012
1:29 AM

Post #9264208

A couple of days late, but Paula's birthday card is going out in today's mail.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 4, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9264421

At the library,, stopping by to yell

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Paula.

Your cards from Miss Goober and I will be in the mail in a few days. I will be up to the docs on the 10th for my last visit to her and will get with Goober to get her stamps and cards that day.

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 4, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9264539

Thank you to everyone for the birthday wishes! I had a great time just by myself, doing what I wanted to do. Bought several plants and dug up some from the house at the coast. There are tons of butterfly weed down there, so I'm transplanting some here at the new house. Also some agapanthus and daylilies. My car is stuffed. There was barely enough room for my little pooch!

Thanks again for the bday wishes and cards!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 4, 2012
2:25 PM

Post #9264828

Hi, all.
Glad to see more of our group are able to stop by :)
Paula, sounds like you had quite a car-load of plants! What fun! Have fun getting them all settled into their new home :)
Elfie, glad you could stop by, too :)
Anyone do anything special yesterday? It was a nice day around here, so we went for a hike. We first visited the redwoods along the coast and spent some time by a pond listening to the ducks. Then we went to the warf in Santa Cruz for dinner and heard the ocean waves coming in on the beach as we walked out to the restaurant. And my dog had a great time, too :)
So, what all is happening in everyone's gardens these days? My tuberoses and amaryllis belladonnas have been blooming in August. Most of the amaryllis belladonnas have finished blooming and are either growing seeds (actually look more like tiny bulbs) or are thinking about it, but there are a few flowers still blooming. . I'm enjoying the last of these. Some of my tuberose blooms have faded, but there are others still to open.
Sadly, I did lose a few plants, including my dianthus and lavender. Didn't get them watered regularly enough this summer :(
So now I've been planning what to grow for the winter and spring, and adding new soil to the containers that need it. And my plants that made it through the dry summer are happy I've started watering them again!
Michelle

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9265514

No special plans here, just took it easy! Sounds like you had a lot of fun, digging up plants working in the garden!
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 5, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9265601

Wow! Sept. 5th already. Time is flying just like Mother said it would when I got old as dirt. The older you get, the faster time fly's.
Glad your birthday was good Paula, lol, and stay 39 as long as you don't forget the real #.
Hello to all of you and have a great day.
Susan, love tour Zinnia and Butterfly. Looks a bit like the ones I took. Butterfly's make me love Zinnias even more.
Hugs

Thumbnail by dahtzu   Thumbnail by dahtzu         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9265772

Beautiful shots of those butterflies!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 5, 2012
9:32 PM

Post #9266559

Hi, all.
Faye! Great to hear from you! :) My mother-in-law says the same thing about time going faster the older she gets. And, I hate to say this, but I've even noticed it myself... Of course, those times when you want time to go fast, it still slows down :)
Michelle
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9266761

Darn voles ate all of my belladona amaryllis this year. Didn't get to see a one bloom.

Faye, zinnias and glads are my favorite flowers. They remind me of home and my Grandmother who grew them. I hear ya on the time flies thing. OY!
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9266979

Michelle I'm sorry time has gotten faster for you, but enjoy it now..it speeds up.
Nita I will be saving zinnia seeds and will be glad to share.
Have a blessed day all you dear friends.

Thumbnail by dahtzu

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 6, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9267190

Cute Faye...looks like lollipops have been stuck in them.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #9267220

PRICKLY PEAR JELLY
1 gal. prickly pear cactus fruit, very ripe, deep garnet color
4 c. juice
4 c. sugar
2 pkgs. fruit pectin
Gather the fruit using tong and gloves. Put fruit in sink with water. Using tongs, scrub under running water with a brush or scrubber to remove stickers. Cut fruit in half. Place in large pan. Boil until fruit is shriveled. Mash with potato masher. Strain through jelly bag or cheese cloth. Bring juice and pectin to boil. Add sugar and boil to jelly stage. Pour into jelly glasses and seal.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9267350

What a fun description, Paula.

Faye, The property next door has Prickly Pear Cacti growing in a large piece of a concrete culvert placed on its side so it looks like a big shallow ring-shaped planter, and was just admiring the fruits as I passed by today. Those plants have been growing there longer than we have lived here, almost 19 years, and the display is a shadow compared to yours, despite several pads that escaped the culvert over the years and rooted in the ground. Last year about this time I watched a group of teenage boys walking who totally destroy the fruits with sticks they were carrying. Of course I opened the door and yelled at them...lol But by then it was too late.

Have any of you eaten pickled cacti? I've often been tempted to buy a jar at the grocery store to try.

This message was edited Sep 6, 2012 10:02 PM
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 6, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9267368

Hi, all.
Neener, so sorry about the voles getting your amaryllis belladonnas. Will you try planting more? If so, is there some way you can put some type of wire mesh around them to protect them from the voles in the future?
Faye, there are times when it's handy having time go faster... like when I finally got braces :) I got the Invisaline kind... much easier to take care of and I could still eat whatever I wanted :)
Forgot to ask last time I posted... What color are the zinnias? We planted some at the Blind Center, too. Come to think of it, I don't know what color those are, either. But we have a lot of butterflies around :) I like the flowers, but I keep wishing they were fragrant. Of course, if they were, then I'd have to grow some here at home, too. And I'm not sure where I'd put them :)
LK, the prickly pear jelly sounds interesting to try, but I think I'll let someone else make that one for me... something about the prickly part! :)
Michelle
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9267378

Linda I'm just to old and lazy to try the PRICKLY PEAR JELLY . Bet it would be quite tasty, but I'll pass.
I have tried a couple of times to thin the Cacti, but it just keeps on growing. It blooms beautiful in Summer, looks like yellow roses.

Nothing in my yard as pretty as this Hibiscus.

Thumbnail by dahtzu

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 7, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9267737

Beautiful Faye...save the seeds if there are any. I got some off of my 'Peppermint schnapps' yesterday. Will be interesting to see what they bloom like.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9267783

That is a beautiful red hibiscus Faye! I got home from a week babysitting the Grand kids, and the darn ants stripped my snow queen hibiscus! I was so mad! I hope it will come back!
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9268442

I will be saving seeds. This is one bush that's hard to beat.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 8, 2012
12:29 AM

Post #9268653

Hi, all.
I didn't realize ants would go after plants. LK, I do hope it comes back, too!
Well, spent Friday doing more gardening work. Went through my amaryllises and cleaned them up. Lost a few -- I think some weren't very healthy, but others just got to dried out from the lack of water. But I think most will pull through all right. Not sure how well they'll bloom in the season to come, but time will tell. And finally got all my containers watered! Now I just need to keep up with them :) And the last of my amaryllis belladonna flowers is fading, but still enjoying the last of my tuberoses.
Everyone, have a safe and enjoyable weekend!
Michelle

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 8, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9268843

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1277320/
Just a few more days to add your name to the list for the PJ night gown swap!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9268956

Looking great, Faye. Mine has long finished blooming. Of the handful of cuttings taken weeks ago, three I think took and will probably give them to my mail lady in exchange for all the eggs she's kept us in.

Hope everybody's having a great week-end.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 8, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9268998

Tree cutter ants will strip anything living in a matter of hours if you don't watch it!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9269109

Those sound nasty, LK. Hub's tomato plants looked so healthy then overnight the top leaves are completely gone. Thinking the grasshoppers had a feast.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 8, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9269294

Hi, all.
I don't think we have tree cutter ants around here. And if we do, I don't think I'd want to meet them!
Hey, I forgot to tell you guys, but if you'd like to see my cerinthe and amaryllis belladonna flowers, I posted some pictures over in the seed trading forum in DJ'S Fall Seed Robin Interest. Will be sending deejay9 some cerinthe seeds to share with others. Not sure if my amaryllis belladonna seeds will be ready in time, but if they are, I'll send some of them, too. (But these seeds look more like tiny bulbs, so perhaps I'll need to share these elsewhere.)
Much cooler here today. And windy... Feels like fall. But quite nice on my deck :) Would be a great day to replant my freesias, but I took a break from gardening to play some board games with friends :)
Have a great evening, everyone!
Michelle

This message was edited Sep 8, 2012 5:27 PM
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9269357

One of our old-timey neighbors stopped by tonight with more tomatoes and Red Bell Peppers. She took one look at the damage on Hub's tomato plants and said it was definitely the result of Tobacco Hornworms.

Growing up in SC, Fire Ants were awful. If you ever step on a hill and disturb it, whether you're wearing shoes or not, you'll never forget how a hundred or more of these tiny red buggers will cover your feet and legs in the blink of an eye, and it'll feel like every one of them left a stinging bite. Thankfully, they aren't found in Virginia, but you gals further South know exactly what I'm talking about.

Freesias, hadn't thought about them for a long time, Michelle. They aren't hardy for me and had forgotten what a California staple they are with their pretty pastel blooms and sweet fragrance.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 9, 2012
4:29 AM

Post #9269605

Fruity,
I know all about those ants..we have gazillions of them now. It has been so wet, they are popping up everywhere. But the worst thing is..they're getting in my flower pots because thats about as 'high and dry' as they can get. Not a day goes by lately that I don't get bitten 3 or 4 times. My husband keeps wanting to put gas on them, but I tell him no.

Woke up to a nice cool morning...the rest of this week is supposed to be mid 80s during the day and mid 60's at night. Nice!!! The dogwoods are already changing and dropping some of their leaves and a few other trees. The acorns are falling too. I guess Fall is right around the corner.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9269627

Faye those cacti are awesome.I still have a piece that you sent me a few years ago. It hasn't bloomed yet here, but it is getting bigger.

Sooz I pulled all my tomatoes a few days ago because the worms had found them. First time I planted San Marzano tomatoes and I will plant them again. They are really a good tomato for drying and also for sauce and roasting. Just as sweet as can be. Did have a lot of trouble with end rot for some reason, but I had so many plants that I managed to get enough to eat.

Right now we are having the annual infestation of the marbled orb weaver spiders. They have webs in every window. They are catching stink bugs, so they get to stay. Funny story. I came downstairs one morning this week and turned on my phone. had a text from DH saying "under no circumstances go out the front door. I go to the window and look out. Dang. One of the spiders had got a huge web across the front door right at eye level. DH almost walked into it in the dark on his way to work. He had to go out the back door. No way to win. If you take down the webs they are just back the next day.
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9270136

I'm not sure what kind of spider I killed outside my front door yesterday - but he was huge and was trying to overtake my porch.. I had no choice.

OH - Neener, I thought about you when I saw this:

Thumbnail by ClanCampbell

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 9, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9270150

Hi, all.
Why, Neener, I've heard of guard dogs, but never heard of a guard spider! :) LOL
Oh, and now I know what my dog's favorite tree must be... Any guesses? (pause, in case you're thinking of an answer...) A DOGWOOD tree :) He LOVES dogs!
... Now, that was a big buzzy thing! Something with a very big buzz just went by the window... Sure glad it was outside and not inside!
Several times this week while I've been outside, I've been blessed to hear a hummingbird flying around :) (In case you're wondering, that wasn't the buzzy thing I just heard, though.)
Remember to stop and enjoy God's beautiful creation this week! What a diversity of plants, animals, birds, insects, and more!
Michelle
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 11, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9272220

Hi, all.
Taking a moment to be thankful for the freedoms we have, for those who guard and protect our country and communities, and for those who come to our aid when disaster strikes! THANK YOU!
Paula, be watching your mail! I mailed your card today. And as usual, it's signed by me and my guide dog :)
Michelle
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 11, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9272507

Thank you!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2012
10:58 PM

Post #9273712

Hi, all.
Hope you all are having a good week.
Anyone enter the DG County Fair? If so, what category?
Michelle

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9273850

No, I have not entered anything! Can't wait to see all the lovely photo's though!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 13, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9274074

I haven't entered anything either, but I'm thinking about checking out the recipes that people share.
Michelle
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9274381

I won't be entering squat but it'll be fun casting votes for our favorites.

Orb spinners are awesome, Neener, and love seeing their webs laden with morning dew. Now walking into one is a totally different story. Kinda like feeling a hair on your face you can't quite find or swipe off. I've plucked three of those teeny tiny ticks off my torso this week. Yuck!

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2012
2:01 AM

Post #9274696

Yeah, I agree... I hate it when I run into a spider web. Fortunately, it's typically a single strand (or it feels like it anyway). Hate to think of what it would feel like to run into an entire web! Voting to pass on that experience :)
Been contemplating what seeds to plant this coming season and into spring. Saw some neat options over on DJ's Fall Seed Interest. Wasn't going to sign up, but finally had to give in and sign up anyway :)
Anyone planning to try new plants this coming year? If so, what ones?
Michelle

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9274763

No new seeds or plants for me, but I am going to continue to try again at morning glories! I found out too late this year that you can pinch them back, and make them bush out more, so hopefully my fence will be covered with them next year, instead of the single straggly stems going up!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9275371

Oh, LK, I hope you have great success with your morning glories next year! It's hard to know when you need to pinch plants back and when you don't.
Hmmm, not many people posting lately... :( We'll hope they're happily tending their gardens! :)
Michelle
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 16, 2012
11:12 PM

Post #9277400

Sending greetings to all!
Hope you've all had a great weekend and that the coming week will be even better!
Amazing that we're already half way through September!
Just a friendly reminder: If you haven't already sent Paula her birthday card, please try to get that in the mail soon :-)
And remember, we still need a host for October, so if you're interested, just let me know.
Know anyone whose birthday is in the last half of September or the beginning of October? Perhaps you could encourage them to join us :)
Oh, and if you haven't posted in a while, do drop us a line so we know you're still with us.
Thanks! Happy gardening!
Michelle

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9277515

Michelle I don't mind making a new thread for October, it is pretty easy!

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

September 17, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9277569

I sent out my September card but never saw a reply that she got it. Maybe people have stopped posting the cards they received. I have checked my threads fairly well lately, altho been extremely busy and seldom said anything.. Just sticking my nose in to say I am still here
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 17, 2012
11:04 AM

Post #9277817

My card was sent out as well and I don't recall a posting as to it being received either. I suppose I could have missed the posting.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 17, 2012
11:46 AM

Post #9277875

OK...I'm bad. I said I was going to post the cards. I've been out of town...sorry. Crystal and Carolyn..I did get your card ...thank you so much. Also, got one from Heather. I think the rest of you I thanked you, if not "thank you"!!

Here they are...so cute...you 'guys' are so sweet!

l to r
Taters - Crystal - Faye - Carolyn - Fruity
Michelle & Garvey
Heather

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066         

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 17, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9278202

Hi, all.
Glad to hear cards have been going out to Paula :) And, Paula, we're glad that you've been receiving them! And, hopefully, the others will be able to get their cards out soon, too.
LK, thank you for volunteering to host for October. I'll list it up above.
Paula, you're currently listed as the host for November. Is that all right with you?
Carolyn and Crystal, it's great to hear from you both! Glad you were able to stop by :)
Hope you all have a wonderful evening!
Michelle
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9278206

I'm another one who tends to fly through without stopping long enough to say HI :) I haven't gotten mine sent out to Paula - just located where I had put the thing and it will go out tomorrow.

Had a terrific weekend with the family - son and his family flew up from TX, ex came from MO and daughter and family plus myself from Iowa - 17 of us all together in this HUGE log cabin on a private lake (Fruity, think about that log cabin in VA - this was bigger!!) and access to a pontoon boat..heaven! :)

Now it's back to the real world LOL...
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 17, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9278222

Hi, Chris!
Glad you found the card :) Bet you put it "in a safe place" LOL
That sounds like a really nice weekend! Not sure I've ever ridden in a pontoon boat, and certainly not one to get to a cabin! Sounds like a great adventure :)
Do stop by when you can :)
Michelle
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9278320

Wow, your week-end and that Cabin both sound like a fantastic good time, Chris, and know you were happy to see your family again. You know what, I'm still sorry we sold our pontoon years ago. We used to take it out during the week and have picnics, just hubby and me. So peaceful. Many week-ends, it was a floating party before our nearby lake became so crowded. Little Big Town's song "Pontoon" is reminiscent of our good times: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0O0nzkESTI

Yesterday hubs and I went to a County Fair and met our mail lady there. Out of 18 entries, she won several 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place Ribbons including ones for her Silkie eggs, canned tomatoes, spicy tomato juice, butternut squash, speckled butter beans, Jalapeno peppers, pumpkins, and pickled okra just to name a few. We love her fresh eggs and have already enjoyed a couple of Pint jars of her pickled okra (kicked up with garlic gloves and a whole Jalapeno pepper in each one) and her spicy tomato juice tastes exactly like V8. Plus she had sheep, goats, a pair of tame Turkeys she raised from eggs, and lots of chickens entered from her Farm. They don't give ribbons for animals, but several of the goats she bottle fed were in the petting zoo. A young male that was a bit too amorous she had to load in her car and take him back to her Farm, tail wagging as we followed her. Hubs had never been there and got the tour at feeding time.

Back at the Fair, she and I battled Bump Cars! Oh my gosh, the last time I did that was at Myrtle Beach years ago. We were both laughing so hard making faces at each other even before the ride started. Then we rode the Himalaya where you're side by side in a suspended car that goes up on down, then stops and spins backwards. She pretended to puke her corndog on me while everybody else was getting into their cars...lol The ride starts slow and speeds up in both directions til the crowd watching is just a blur. Hubs used her camera to video both rides and said he was laughing so hard during our Bump Car ride he jarred the "on" button to "off" for a bit. It's been a long time since I laughed myself silly!

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine         

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9278343

Sounds like you had a great time Fruity!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 18, 2012
1:33 AM

Post #9278521

Chris - sounds like a wonderful time. My brother just left here last Sunday and I already miss him.

Sooze - what are Silkie eggs? I like canning myself, but don't have the time to put into all that your mail lady does.

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 18, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9278818

Hi, all.
Fruity, that sounds like lots of fun! It's been ages since I've been on rides like those. They sure are a lot of fun! :) Sounds like your mail lady did a great job!
Hey, speaking of the county fair, we get to vote for the winners for the DG County Fair! Must remember to check out the recipes :)
Michelle

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 18, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9278930

Just checking in.. Bad news,, Ralphs truck is finally dying.. sigh.. we had hoped it would last until next
February,, but now we are going to have to squeeze the money out of our vacation monies and also the building budget,,,whaa. So no trips this year after all. Between the truck and being so sick I feel like nothing is going right. Wish I had something happy to say right now,, but,, well I just don't...

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 18, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #9278996

Awe, sorry to hear about the truck! Hope it is an easy fix for you!
Now you get some rest, and get feeling better soon!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 18, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #9278998

Hi, Elfie.
Sending lots of hugs your way. And will keep you in my prayers.
Michelle
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 18, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9279170

Aww Elfie, so sorry...hopefully it won't be too bad! You need to post pictures of what you have done to your house.
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9279442

Just a quick hi before heading to bed.. Here's a little something that I brought home with me today - she's 8 weeks old and I haven't decided on the name yet. Maybe I should open a thread for a contest to name her LOL..

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 18, 2012
10:51 PM

Post #9279612

Hi, Chris.
What kind of critter is she? And what color? Bet she's cute :) Could be a lot of fun for us all to think of names for her... Our next birthday isn't til mine, October 28.
Michelle
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 19, 2012
4:23 AM

Post #9279675

Aww. Chris, she's adorable! Did you adopt her or did you find her?

Michelle, its a little kitten. She's snow white and has big blue-green eyes. I just love kittens.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2012
5:09 AM

Post #9279722

Chris she is so pretty! Angel comes to mind, or snowball for a name!

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 19, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9279828

Arggggh! It be International Talk Like a Pirate Day ye mateys!

Pieces of eight, pieces of eight, whistle,

Joy
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 19, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9280432

I did adopt her.. it's funny cause I saw the ad in Craigslist on Friday and there were 5 all together(only 2 were pure white), but she caught my eye - so I called the lady and asked about her, but I was going out of town for our family reunion and she wouldn't hold her. Which I quite understood (she lived too far from me to run over there before leaving anyway), so when I got back on Sunday, I didn't call because I just knew all of them were gone by then.

Monday, I was cruising through CraigsList for kittens and there was her pic again! I opened the ad and they said she was the last kitten left - talk about a sign that she was waiting for me :) So I called and she was still available and now here we are! Cool, isn't it? :)

I had already decided on no Snowball, or Whitey or Snow White - I want something else :) Just not sure yet what fits her - I'm leaning towards Keira, but I'm holding off to see what else I can find :)

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 19, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9280446

Chris

She is such a beauty! I just love her - I like Keira and I like Lady. Both names are really nice.

We had a blue eyed Lynx point Siamese that my husband named Tiki after Tiki Barber of the NY Giants. The name worked well... She was a sweetie too.

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 19, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9280558

Hi, all.
Awww, what a sweetie :) I was going to suggest snowball, too, but if you're looking for other names... There's Princess. Or perhaps there are white flower or white gem names that might be appropriate? Some flowers' and gems' names double as people names, too. And these wouldn't just refer to her color. Gem names would also have the connotation of just how precious she is :) And that is so cool how you got her! :)
Michelle
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9280564

Call it fate or your good karma, Chris. She's a purrdy kitty and bet she'll let you know her name in time :)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 20, 2012
1:38 AM

Post #9280761

Interesting, Fruity -

Chris - I like the name Karma... thoughts?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 20, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9280914

Chris, look what I found when I Googled list of names for white cats...

http://www.catnamesmeow.com/white-cat-names.htm

Or this one...

http://www.petplace.com/cats/names-for-white-haired-cats/page1.aspx
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 20, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9281105

Oh Chris she rocks!!! I vote for Karma too. That's good. She was meant to be with you.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 20, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #9281203

i like Karma to.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 20, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #9281342

Hi, all.
Looks like we found all kinds of kitty name ideas for you, Chris... It will be interesting to see what name you decide fits her the best :)
Cooler here than usual, but still some good weather for working in the garden. Hoping to get some work done out there today :)
Have a great day, all!
Michelle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 20, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9281401

Years ago, my mother found a poor little kitten coming out of the graveyard. She was a tiny little thing and she was brought to my house (yes, I am the resident cat lady). That liittle kitty caused a melee with the other cats and the kids. We named her Melee -

Soooo, I think Karma is the perfect name. She is a sweetie Chris. Pet her for me.

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 21, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9282514

Hi, all!
Wow, it's the weekend, already... Hope everyone gets to do something they enjoy, even if it's just for a little bit this weekend :)
Michelle

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 23, 2012
9:15 PM

Post #9284504

I drove to San Antonio for my Granddaughters 13th Birthday! Had a great time!

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 23, 2012
10:11 PM

Post #9284519

Hi, all.
LK: How special to get to celebrate her 13th birthday with her! That's really cool :)
Today, I got to play board games with some friends after church, and then finally got to begin replanting my freesia bulbs. Noticed that some of them have started sprouting already, so I figured I better get them done. Got the larger ones replanted, but still need to replant the smaller ones. All in all, a very nice day :)
Have a great Monday, everyone!
Michelle

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 24, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9284726

Sounds like you had a good time!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 24, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9285372

Hi, all.
Oh, and I forgot to mention that my friends brought cookies with them :) Made for a tasty mid-afternoon snack!
Warmed back up again this afternoon, but is quite cool mornings and evenings now. Definitely feels like fall weather. And my friends said the leaves on the trees in our yard have started changing colors.
And, at the Blind Center, we're transitioning our garden from summer to fall/winter crops.
Hope you all have an enjoyable week!
Michelle
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 25, 2012
11:08 PM

Post #9286545

Waving hello to everyone...
Hope your week is going well :)
Michelle

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 26, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9286675

Good morning!
Doing pretty good here, weather is cooling down. Only about mid 90's during the afternoon, and it gets down to low 70's at night!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 26, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9287419

Hi, all.
Wow, that's still pretty hot :) Much cooler here, especially at night.
Did I tell you that some of my paperwhites have leaves up? I looked back at my notes and discovered that they started growing about this time last year, too. The fun thing is that they started growing at different times, so they naturally extended their bloom season. Last season, I got to enjoy their blooms from the end of October to some time in February. Looking forward to seeing what they do this year. I love their fragrance. I moved some of the bulbs that were right at the edge of the container to an area in the middle so they'd have more room. Not sure how many of these will bloom this year, though.
Have a great Thursday, everyone!
Michelle
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 27, 2012
4:24 AM

Post #9287658

Good morning Michelle and everyone else!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9287706

Morning everyone! Just a few more days and October will be here!

Don't forget that GardenQuail / Michelle's Birthday is October 28. Get those cards ready to mail out!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9288366

I know you're gonna read this, Neener, so there's no use for me to say 'skip it'.

Neener's Birthday is October 9th! Those of us who have been here a long time know how judiciously she kept our group going for several years, despite many speed bumps. I doubt we would be a group anymore if she hadn't been the glue that held us together. And who among us can forget receiving her beautiful handmade cards? Even though she's not sending them now, I think it's only fair for each of us to remember her special day.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9288418

Great idea, and I agree 100%. I will add her to the list when I start the thread for October.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 27, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9288447

Hi, all.
Great idea, Fruity! Neener's special day is October 9 for anyone who would like to send her a card :)
Have a great Friday, everyone... The weekend is just around the corner!
Michelle
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 27, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9288452

Thanks, LK :)
Michelle

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2012
4:56 AM

Post #9288625

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1281952/

Here is the link for October Birthday thread, click the link, then click on watch, so it will show up for you!
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9289229

:P. you guys... Love you all..

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9289362

We love you too Neener! (((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 28, 2012
11:23 PM

Post #9289541

Hi, all.
Hi, Neener! Good to know you're still following us :)
I'll keep this thread open through the end of the weekend, but do be sure you also follow LK's link (above) so you're ready to join us there come October :)
Have a great weekend everyone!
Michelle

This message was edited Sep 28, 2012 11:44 PM
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9291262

Thanks for the great job you did this month, Michelle!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 2, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9294032

Glad I could help :)
Closing this thread now, so if you haven't already joined us at the above link for the October thread (a few posts up), be sure to follow us on over!
Michelle

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9294099

Thanks for being a great host!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America