Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Recipes: perfect hard boiled eggs?

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 13, Views: 160
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 1, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9261359

want to make russian eggs. stuffed eggs, deviled eggs.
I don't like the green rim around the egg yolk. Guide me to a perfect hard boiled egg.
And your fav deviled egg recipe

This message was edited Sep 1, 2012 10:11 AM
theolderchick
Ripon, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9261410

go to Marthas website,its the perfect recipe,also add 1Tsp of baking soda to the water, it helps the shells slide off in peeling.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 1, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9261464

I forgot to mention that these are fresh (from the popo) from thefarm eggs and I know that fresh eggs are hard to peel. Thanks for the link and the baking soda hint.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

September 1, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9261758

If you have bought eggs to have for deviled eggs...put a rubber band around the carton and turn the carton on it's side the night before boiling them and the yolk will set right in the center of the whites. If you forget to do this then when they are just coming to the boiling point keep the eggs moving for a while in the pot with a wooden spoon...very gently.
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9261975

let the eggs come to room temperature (about 1/2 hour) before placing in the boiling water with the baking soda, let boil for 3 minutes and shut off the heat and let them set for 15 minutes, drain, and place in ice water to chill for 30 minutes. should peel easy and no green

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 2, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9262311

well the eggs where too fresh: did not peel well after all the attention they got. did room temp, did baking soda, did boil for 5 and sit for 10.then ice water for 1/2 hr.

Positive." were centered, not green,(sulphur residue) are delicious because being soo fresh.

Negative" did not peel easy, the yolks got fluffy and thick quickly, wanting more mayo...So could not pipe the yolk mix.

Made them just with chives, mayo, salt, pepper and a tad of mustard.

thank you all.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9263098

I sometimes put capers in my deviled eggs.

I've never successfully peeled hard-boiled fresh eggs.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 3, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9263307

true this was not successful, as said. but quite delicious.

I have used anchovies and also capers as well
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 3, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9263698

For DD's post nuptial weekend celebration I made deep South starters of pickled shrimp, upscale "'pimena" cheese and stuffed eggs. I can't run out of ways to do stuffed eggs. No matter the concoction they disappear fast. For her occasion there were seventy two eggs (144 servings) of the following...(1) curry stuffed eggs with minced celery and red onion, (2) eggs with chives and caviar both in and on. Inexpensive and readily available lumpfish, whitefish, salmon or carp roe can be used. And (3) kalamata olives, roasted red peppers and green onions. I use mayo and homemade whole grain mustard as a base in each. Other than that I extemporize. If using caviar don't use salt. Chipotles or smoked Spanish paprika makes a wonderful stuffed egg. I've served the chipotle eggs with a single corn chip, shoved on the top. You can use the bagged ones. For catering I make baked chips from fresh homemade corn tortillas.

If you want a filling that pipes well try adding a tad of cream cheese. It's what is done by pros. If my fillings make the mix loose I'll resort to that rather than worry about the ingredients making the mix too wet. This is usually necessary when I do roasted peppers. I personally like stuffed eggs globed and topped with a hint of the filling or some other quirky finish and not piped. Please don't stick random decor, like parsley, on an egg that has no parsley in it.

Knowing you enjoy Germanic recipes, an interesting homage would be one of the many great wursts, uncased and added to the mix, with a slice of cased sausage upended like a slice of citrus in a dessert. I would pick blutwurst because it is good cold but any wurst would work. You probably need the right crowd for blutwurst. :)

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 3, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9263801

WOW tu for such personalized info.

Pay back would be any in quilting.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 3, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9263830

Helene, your online friendship is payback enough. :)
Canada60
Maple, ON

September 3, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9263897

hi I usually just steam eggs for hard bolied
1 set up your pot with steamer basket
2 let it come up to steam
3 put your eggs into the steamer basket,and time for 13 mins
4 lift the eggs steamer basket and all and put into a bowl of ice water or set under cold running water until you can handle to peel .

daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 11, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9272432

I do the same as Canada60. I'll never boil another egg. Not since I learned about steaming. My neighbor brings me fresh eggs from his hens, and with steaming, the shells come off really easy.

I steam for 20 minutes, but I use the eggs cold out of the fridge and my neighbor's eggs are huge.

Here is Alton Brown explaining the technique...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUHKpHek2E8

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9273082

thank you one and all. It is all very explanatory

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America