Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Water Gardens: spawning

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 9, Views: 96
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
helenchild
Decatur, GA

September 1, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9261379

I am strictly an amatuer fish keeper. I get my fish @ PetSmart as tiny babies and then grow them.
Anyway my fish never spawned this year! They are all about 8 years old and have regularily done the wild thing in the spring for the past say 4-5 years. So it seemed strange that this year they seem to forget?? (who would forget to do that ;-).
Any way they all seem healthy and none of the females seem loaded with eggs. This is a picture of them several years ago.
Maybe someone has an explanation.
Thanks.
Helen

Thumbnail by helenchild
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

September 1, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9261429

Don't know anything about spawning but wanted to say what beautiful koi you have . And nice clear water.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9261473

Ditto on very pretty koi.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 1, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9261513

helen...
My fish didn't spawn at all this year, like normal, until I injected them with fish hormones. I didn't care about them spawning, but didn't want to lose any of the females because of being overloaded with eggs. I lost one of my biggest ones anyways. I think the unusual temps all winter long, combined with an overly warm spring (followed by a freeze, which we usually don't get) just through them off this year. Even the plants in my yard are all on a different schedule than normal. I guess nature does what nature does...
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 4, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9264855

Interestingly enough MM, I have heard you say this before in previous years. I think it is the rapid heating up. I would say the same thing is true in Georgia.

From what I have read, the females are of spawning age of 3 years old whereas the males are 2 years old. My fish have spawned every year, and although we may have a rapid warm up, I don't think it is anything like the rapid warm ups that are in the South.

helenchild
Decatur, GA

September 4, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9264885

We did have an early warm spring this year and I suppose that might be the reason from what I am understanding you all say.
Luckily I don't see an ill effects. Actually its a lot less hassle compared to the big mess they make spawning and the reckless behavior involved.
Thanks for the compliments too! ^_^
Eclipse
Norwalk, IA
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9330024

The koi where I use to work spawned twice this year outdoors.The first fish were put into an outdoor pond in May and had two batches this year.We caught the babies today and yesterday.The first babies had grown to 6 inches or so and the second batch was about 2 1/2 inches long.The breeders were only 8-9 inches when put outside! The goldfish at work in our 2 acre lake were spawning again in late august -early sept! Go figure!!
Pic 1 is the larger size babies in a 5 gal pail pic 2 is babies from batch two in a 5 gal pail.

Kyle :-)

Thumbnail by Eclipse   Thumbnail by Eclipse         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9330144

Have a new ponding friend in Chiefland Fl. who has 2 black fish in her pond and doesn't know how they got there. I saw them and I think they are goldfish. One is about 8" and the other about 6".
Is this possible???
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9330219

Kyle

Water temps have to be about 68 degrees in order for koi to breed - we reach those same water temps in the spring and the fall as the weather warms up for summer and then cools down as we head to winter.

What I have observed in my own pond is the females that are of breeding age get one breeding, however they may not all be ready at the same time. The males get to participate each time as a female is ready. However, stranger things have happened as well, so I don't doubt for a minute what you are saying about 2 breeding cycles for your koi. It would not surprise me in the least with water temps and the strange weather we seem to be having that the females would have a second spawning.

Goldfish spawned monthly for me from April to October. I am surprised there are not more goldfish in the world given their ability to reproduce. ^_^
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

November 11, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9330668

Fertilized eggs can come into a pond stuck to a new plant. Goldfish can be black, check for the barbels (whiskers) on the side of their mouth/chin area to determine if they are goldfish (will not have them) or koi (will have them) Either way, it's fun to find something in your pond that you never knew was there!

:)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America