Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Vegetables: HUGE beet went to seed - do I eat it?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 1, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
indianabanana
Madison, IN
(Zone 6b)

September 1, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9261385

I just picked the biggest beet I've ever seen. The problem is that I got really busy right about the time when I noticed the beets were just about ready, and three weeks (um, maybe a month) later I suddenly remembered that I had beets in the garden!

One of the beets had shot up a flower stalk and was beginning to seed (even though this was its first year). The beet itself was bigger than a softball. Way bigger. It competed with some of our smaller melons for size.

Is it OK to eat a beet that has gone to seed, or does the character of the plant change too much once it has started focusing on seed production? What about a the size? Will it still even be good, or will it be fibrous and off-flavor?

If it is still good, I wonder what I'm going to do with that much beet!! If it's no good, well, then at least the compost pile will receive a nice snack!

This message was edited Sep 1, 2012 11:34 AM

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #9262346

Chuckl, bolting can't help but change flavor. What kind of beet is it? Some var will stay tender longer at older ages, could just save seeds and replant them nex year. Or you can try eating it- but the sugars are best in most at younger ages. Flip a coin? Chuckl, not much help, I know.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America