-
AuthorContent
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 1, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9261800

Time for a new thread. We came from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1274090/

Please join us and share your September blooms here. I'll start off with the bamboo orchid, Arundina graminifolia. It is a terrestrial and likes lots of light and water.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica
Click an image for an enlarged view.

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 1, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9261804

Here's another look at my new Wilsonara Pacific Perspective 'Pacific Heat'.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 1, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9261808

Here is a nice picture of Vanda Princess Blue X Vanda Kasem's Delight. The spike is completely open now.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 1, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9261809

I love this little red NOID Dendrobium.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 1, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9261815

Another look at my new Wilsonara Pacific Perspective 'Pacific Heat'.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 1, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9261819

Miltassia Aztec 'Toni' is opening a new spike. This is the first flower.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Click the image for an enlarged view.

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 1, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9261821

And what's life without a few dancing ladies?

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

chiquib313
Homestead, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 2, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9262536

Jim, love the red NOID denbrodium. Some of my best denbrodium are NOIDs.
Some of my September blooms:
1. NOID Brassia, has 9 blooms about 6" each and 2 more spikes.
2. Brassavola Nodosa
3. Den. Blue Twinkle
4. NOID Denbrodium
5. NOID Denbrodium

Thumbnail by chiquib313   Thumbnail by chiquib313   Thumbnail by chiquib313   Thumbnail by chiquib313   Thumbnail by chiquib313

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

September 2, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9262540

Last look at Blc. Mem. Anna Balmores x Lc. Melody Fair as it ages.

Thumbnail by breeindy

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 2, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9262660

Very nice Chiqui and you are right about the NOID Dens. I have them around just for the fun of it and they bloom almost all of the time.

Bree, gotta love the velvet floofy lip.

Jim
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 3, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9263732

I love the NOIDs' colors. I have only 2 orchids and am still waiting for blooms.
What "sticky" explains how to grow them and what temp is desired. I keep mine indoors and have learned that I was not misting them enough, but am still trying to keep them going.

This message was edited Sep 3, 2012 5:20 PM
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 3, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9263870

http://www.aos.org/Default.aspx?id=75 Gives you general info on requirements for the most common types, but you have to know what kind of orchid you have.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 4, 2012
5:11 AM

Post #9264278

I did look at the AOS website. My orchid is marked Dendrobrium orchid hybird. Thanks for the info.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9264758

Have some pics of the Den Spectable Latouria (Alien). This is the one my friend sent me from HI.
Hard to get pics of the flowers.
She smells like honey.

Thumbnail by Qwilter   Thumbnail by Qwilter   Thumbnail by Qwilter   Thumbnail by Qwilter   

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

September 4, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9264767

Love it Qwilter.
wiggiej
Ann Arbor, MI

September 4, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9264774

Your vanda is gorgeous, Jim. I tried to grow one that should have been similar. It even started a spike last summer, but nada. After 5 years of pampering the stupid thing, I decided enough was enough and got rid of it. Not for Michigan, I suppose. But I do love seeing the beauties you guys grow down there.

Like the Wilsonaria too! Anyone out there know if they bloom seasonally or "whenever"? I'm curious, because I just noticed this afternoon that mine is producing a spike too. A first time bloomer if it follows through.
wiggiej
Ann Arbor, MI

September 4, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9264788

I'm pretty happy about this one -- Phragmipedium Don Wimber -- a first time bloomer. It arrived half frozen the winter before last, so I was sure it wasn't going to pull through. It never did die, but I never paid much attention to it either, so I was kind of surprised to see it was about to bloom. The blossom itself is pretty small -- about 3 1/2 inches across, which is smaller than I thought it'd be.

Jan

Thumbnail by wiggiej

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 4, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9264832

Jean, that Den. Alien is something else!

Love the phrag, wiggie. The plant looks healthy and the flower is just beautiful! Nice going on blooming that one. I'll bet it will get better and better now.
wiggiej
Ann Arbor, MI

September 4, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9265040

Thanks Elaine. I hope so. I'm thinking that the smallish blossom might be due to underfeeding. I water it with distilled or rain water, separately from most of my other orchids, so it probably missed out on fertilizer a lot.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

September 5, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9265488

Jan Phragmipedium Don Wimber's flowers are 3-4 inches so i dont think yours is to small. Its very nice!
RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9265566

I agree, and it is very pretty!
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 5, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9265744

Bc. Mermaid 'Janice' just opened today and I am surprised as it just bloomed in May. I have her mounted on a oak log.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 5, 2012
9:33 AM

Post #9265752

This is the NOID Dendrobium that spent the night at the bottom of the swimming pool some years ago. It used to be red but other than that is doing fine.

Jim

wiggiej
Ann Arbor, MI

September 5, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9265908

Thanks bree. I won't mess with the routine I've got then. I was really happy when I found Don Wimber. I'd never seen anything like it. It probably won't be the last phrag I try!

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 5, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9266198

Jee, I've missed alot. Some gorgeous blooms you guys have !
Jim, I've got some Oak slabs sitting out at the barn that are pretty nicely aged now. Seeing your Bc. Mermaid 'Janice' mounted on Oak gives me an idea of what I can
do with them now.
This is more of a June/July/August/Sept ...catch up post !
Bpl Golden Beauty Orange Peacock
Ctna Why Not
Native Epi magnoliae "Greenfly Orchid"...they are very common here.
Encyclia alata x E. gracilis its as bright as it looks ...LOL...
Pot Hoku Gem Sunspots , a favorite !!

Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 5, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9266204

and one more...
SL Jinn Jungle Beau
Several others were in sheath or spiking and are sitting there sulking now after all the rain from Issac...even tho I grabbed them after a few days and brought them in.
So may miss out on them this go round. Maybe they will just be slower to show up. Drat...

Thumbnail by mjsponies

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 5, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9266429

I'm with ya on the rain slowing down the orchids, Mj. I had a big fat sheath getting ready to pop on my Bc Chia Lin and it's turned brown.

All those above are really gorgeous! Especially like the pretty little native Epi. magnoliae.

I have one big Catt ready to pop, a B. nodosa cross in bloom and these little Howeara Lava Burst 'Puanani' that have been blooming for a couple of months at least. Everybody else has seen these several times already, but heck, better to post a picture.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy         

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 5, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9266461

Ah, Ladies, do you want to try temps in the 80s and humidity in the teens? I'm watching my buds and sheaths dry up. Thinking about switching to cactus and succulents, if I had more sun.
mj, very nice!
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 6, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9267121

MJ, welcome back, we missed you. Outstanding orchids you've been hiding from us. I'm especially fond of the Orange Peacock.

Elaine, hurry up with that big Catt. I can't wait.

Carol, you're weather keeps giving you fits. Us Floridians would gladly ship you a boatload of humidity if we could figure out how to do it.

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 6, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9267122

No blooms yet, but I was thinking of buying a spathoglottis. One of my local nurseries has them as their plant of the month which means 15% off. I really enjoyed the photos of some of the ones I've seen on here and thought I might add one to the collection. Other than that, I made a trip to the Home Depot to get more repotting supplies. Now for it to stop raining so I can go outside and repot!

Melanie
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 6, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #9267149

Melanie, I've found the yellow Spathoglottis plicata will bloom longer than the others. Mine is almost always in bloom.

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 6, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9267174

I remember the yellow one; I think I liked it best. I'll have to go check it out and see what they have.

Melanie

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 6, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9267192

I'm with Jim on the Spathoglottis, Melanie. They're great bloomers and easy growers. But so far the yellow is the winner on blooming.

Just got my little plant of yellow ones this spring (at Lowe's) and it has not stopped blooming. I have several clumps of the magenta/purple, and one clump of mauve in the ground in my semi-shady border. The mauve has been blooming a while, but the purple ones are just starting to put up a lot of flower stems. Last year they bloomed into December, though. Can't complain.

I also have the 4th one I'd describe as "opal" because it has pink and yellow and purple and white on the flower. My two healthy plants of this one have not bloomed yet this year, and are showing no signs of starting. But when Jim and I visited Selby Gardens in April we saw the same variety with large flowers on long stalks on huge plants. I repotted them in May, so I'm thinking I'll just be patient and they will reward me down the road. Orchid growing does develop patience - and rewards you for it, too.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 6, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9267212

Better picture of the 'opal' one.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 6, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9267240

That opal one is really unique. I don't think I have ever seen one quite like it.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 6, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9267274

LoL, Jim, you were with me when I got that plant, up in Apopka in February. It had one wimpy little flower on it at the time - very forgettable - and one stem coming along that opened the three flowers in the pic above. Since then, nada. It's putting up new leaves, though.

Then we saw some similar outside the orchid house at Selby. I'm hoping mine will grow up to be like those some day. Wish I'd taken a picture of them!

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 6, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9267473

Jim, Ask Elaine about her EE that went swimming. I just think they want to be blonds.
Not hiding, just been a very hectic demanding summer. I take the pics and they sit on my camera.
I try really hard to keep track of blooms and when they happen.
I too am very fond of the Orange Peacock, and kinda wish it had waited till fall to bloom, as it would be a super
Halloween/ Thanksgiving bloom to have. These blooms have been going since June. No spots now.
Brought in a couple of HUGE Noid Den's to the porch today. Holy cow these 2 monsters are taking up
a 6 foot bench all by them selves. I think next year I will need a tomato cage to contain them. Nothing special just noid purple white, but they are Orchidzilla's !!
Will take pics when they are open.

This message was edited Sep 7, 2012 5:11 AM

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 6, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9267531

Yep, my EE Blue Hawaii went swimming, and came up rather a golden blonde. It seems to be recovering, however.

Mj, here I thought you were only growing mini's! You're just too good to them.

I have Lc. Trick or Treat - it's a great one for Halloween, too. Here's hoping it will have a flower by then. But it bloomed in March, so . .. that's when this pic was taken.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2012
3:20 AM

Post #9267708

LOL...Elaine, They are one reason I'm going to mini's...they are just getting too darned big...but they are S.O.'s pets...and I do enjoy them when they are blooming, just don't know where to put them, especially if we get a cold snap and they have to come live inside. Other than the size they are really easy too, I just park them outside in a shady spot as soon as temps allow and they stay there till they start to bloom,when they come up on the porch, they get time release fertilizer ( Osmocote 13-13-13) ...

LC Trick or Treat should bloom for Halloween !! It would be perfect...

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

September 7, 2012
4:35 AM

Post #9267735

Rlc. Kat E-Sun.

Thumbnail by breeindy

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 7, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9267786

That's a beauty, Bree. Any fragrance? I have one similar that I got last summer, but I potted it up in too big a pot, and it's done nothing but make leaves since then. Good news is it has reached the edge of the pot already so I have hopes.

Mj, if SO builds you that pergola . . you could hang his Den pets permanently, then throw frost cloth or plastic over it in winter for more 'greenhouse' space? I saw one with slanted boards spaced over the top like louvers, strategically angled so they let the sun in when it was low in winter, but shaded out the overhead sun in summer. Clever, and very attractive.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

September 7, 2012
2:25 PM

Post #9268264

yes smells like a typical orchid but with honey undertones.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 7, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9268372

I spent the entire day manning the MG desk at the Extension Service and it was as busy as it could get. I'm exhausted.

Jim
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 8, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9269203

Opening for me today is B. nodosa X C. netrasiri 'waxy'.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 8, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9269204

Also open is Onc. Butterfly.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 8, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9269347

Ooo, I love that B. nodosa cross! I'm just partial to that graceful flower form.

I wonder if the petals keep that rosy color or fade to orange like some of mine do? Update us with pics if it changes?

Elaine
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 9, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #9270026

I was bounced out of bed by tremendous thunder claps and a pounding rain at 4:30 this morning and it just kept coming. I went to church in the rain and came home in the rain and it is still misting at 5:00 this afternoon. The back 40 is once again a swamp. This has been one wet rainy season and to think my aunt and uncle lost their corn crop to drought in Indiana.

It is hard to take pictures because the camera lens keeps fogging up but I discovered Brassavola cucullata in bloom this afternoon. I am thankful for the OC as I'm sure I would be fighting major root rot without it.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 9, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9270027

The ever faithful Pshchopsis butterfly is back at it.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 10, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9271072

I feel like I'm talking to myself again.

Out in the OC, C. Lueddemanniana, var. alba X self is beginning to open:

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 10, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9271073

I just discovered Lc. George Baldwin X C. Trithena is in bloom. The spike came out the back facing the windows and I never noticed it. This orchid is an over achiever.

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 10, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9271074

I'm listening! Love the last two you posted. It's been pretty quiet here; just need to repot some of my orchids when it decides not to rain.

Melanie

This message was edited Sep 10, 2012 3:23 PM
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 10, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9271076

Here is an update on B. nodosa X C. netrasiri 'waxy'.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 10, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9271080

I'm glad you're still alive, Melanie. I was about to call 911 to go look for you. :>)

And another update on Bc. Mermaid 'Janice:

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 10, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9271083

Last one for today is Blc. Golden Tang which is still in bloom and is sending out a new spike. It's been blooming for months.

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 10, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9271085

I like the netrasiri "waxy" orchid. I have one that is a cross with that but I can't remember what the other parent is. I just know I liked it; it's a deep red color and has that waxy look.

Oh, there is something going on - I'm going to the Lakeland orchid show this weekend! I can't wait to be orchid rich and money broke.

Melanie

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 10, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9271188

I'm still lurking, and enjoying your pictures too, Jim. I've been sewing, since it's been so wet outside. First grand-daughter expected in early November will have a designer wardrobe at the rate I'm going.

I have nothing new to post, since my Blc. Mem Hans Graf X Blc Edisto is still hanging fire! As Charlie Brown would say "Arrgghh!" Looks like four buds coming along!

Another agony, I am once again fighting off the black plague - one of my little experiment orchids has lost all but two leaves. All the chids I left out at summer camp are fine. It's going around the ones inside the pool cage!

Magenta spathoglottis are coming on strong.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy      

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 10, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9271248

My local nursery sold out of their spathoglottis but is getting a new shipment in tomorrow or Wednesday. It's for the best as the ones they had were orange but the ones they're getting in are yellow and purple. I wanted a yellow one anyway and purple is my favorite color. Thanks to everyone who posted a picture of their spathoglottis - now you made me want one!

Melanie
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 10, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9271388

Still here Jim, and enjoying the pix. Everything here is drying out. I have another bud on my Psychopsis and Carol's Gerberara has new spikes and flowers, but not much else happening.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 11, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9272020

Nothing new for me today except this little NOID Dendrobium which just opened the first on a long bloom spike. I bought it for $4.00 in Apopka when I was up there with Elaine. It has no papers, so to speak, but I love the soft colors.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica      

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9272089

Hi All! Catching up on the wonderful world of orchid photos. Jim, love your cucullata. It is their time to bloom. Mine is doing nada this year.

I'm still in the process of trying to catch up after months of wedding preparations. The orchid to-do list is very long and cold weather is not so far off. Like Elaine, I have been busy with sewing. For me it involves quilting the piecework table toppers I made for DD's wedding party into a wedding quilt. That might keep me busy for a few years.

I have this old $1 Lowes rescue, a three way cross, Pot. Immaculate Heart 'Hilo Red' x Blc. Jeremy Island x Slc. Wendy's Redstone. First time in bloom. Pretty floofy for me. Well, the colors in the photo are accurate.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel         

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9272090

Bc. Richard Mueller x C. aclandiae is on its last of three bloom spikes. At least this time I got the pair of flowers.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9272101

Like Jim, I too have Bc. Little Marmaid 'Janet' starting to open. That is not a misspelling. It was registered out of Japan as Marmaid. I got this orchid at least four years ago as a "baby in a bag". It has never bloomed before. I potted it last year in chopped wine corks (see last photo). It has three spikes and seven flowers its first time out.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9272105

Goodness! I just figured out you can highlight all the photos you want to post at one time and load them all! What a time saver. :)

These photos do not do this Beallara Tropic Tom justice. This has been a reliable bloomer for me.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel      

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9272109

Jim's Pholidota imbricata from a few days ago. It's much more open today but photos will have to wait.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 11, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9272229

Such beauties, Laurel. The Pholidota is really interesting.

Have to wonder where they came up with "Marmaid" though - not a mermaid and not a barmaid . ... LoL

That big purple Catt of mine still hasn't opened.
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 11, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9272246

Jim, Thanks for keeping us in pics! We're all lurking here, but as Ted said, just watching things dry up in this part of the country. I've got a couple of blooms, but they are being verrry slow to open, and what has opened is pretty pathetic. We got a break today...78 with 58% humidity at 3:oo pm ! Supposed to go back up to 90 by Fri., so I'm enjoying a break from the watering today. I'll try to get a couple of pics, if I can between breezes.
Laurel, good to see you back! Hope your Pholidota doesn't smell as bad as the one I have!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9272265

Elaine, Marmaid is just the way the hybridizer registered the name with the Royal Hort.Society. The orchid was hybridized in Japan,the movie was popular at the time, it happens all the time. I mean, isn't the American version of voila "walla"? BTW, I cringe when I hear that.

A big shout out to Jim who has kept this forum going through thick and thin.

This message was edited Sep 11, 2012 6:13 PM

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 11, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9272325

Anybody see the bit on the news about Will and Kate at the Botanical Gardens in Singapore? They had an orchid named for them, and also saw one that was named for Diana. Neat thing, all around, but the plants are simply magnificent! It's not up on YouTube yet, but soon, I'd imagine.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 11, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9272327

Yup, the Princess Diana orchid sure was beautiful. I'm glad Will and Kate got to see it.

Melanie

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 12, 2012
3:38 AM

Post #9272802

Jim, better put a guard dog out in the OC...I'm on my way down to steal that B. nodosa X C. netrasiri 'waxy' !!
Then I'm going to have to make a trip up to Laurel's for that Beallara Tropic Tom
Two more for my wish list for sure !!

Elaine, .if my darn boarders would quit breaking things in the barn, and we could get some of these other farm projects caught up we could maybe finally get to building the pergola or at least a structure of some sort to supplement the greenhouse. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr LOL...,.

Christensonia vietnamica x Vanda cristata...I have two of these and they bloom different colors, unfortunately the pic of the other one got lost when I had all the computer issues so will have to wait for it to bloom again.

Thumbnail by mjsponies

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9273041

What a pretty little green guy, there Mj! I'm sure you'll get your pergola eventually. Then miraculously it will fill up with plants . .

Finally! I have a big purple flower today. Color washed out just a bit in the bright morning light.

Plus a lady brought in an orchid to the Extension help desk for ID last week, turned out to be Monk's Orchid, Oeceoclades maculata. She was so grateful for the ID and prompt reply, she turned up at the desk again yesterday with 6 of them as a gift for me! Now, I'm in a quandry as to what to do with them. They will naturalize beautifully out there under my oak trees, BUT the article we found with lots of great info on them has them classified as a Cl. 2 invasive weed! The fellow writing the article disagrees with that classification saying that although they do re-seed themselves quite readily, they do not form a monoculture and choke out other plants like most invasives. http://www.flnativeorchids.com/natives_gallery/oeceoclades_maculata.htm

I'd sure appreciate all your opinions on this, and also if anyone would like one, I'll be glad to share. I have 7 nice starts at the moment.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2012 11:58 AM

chiquib313
Homestead, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 12, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9273076

I would love to have one. I have been looking for one since I know they grow in S. Florida.

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #9273163

Wow, I went to choir practice last night and missed all of this action. Great show, Laurel, and it is nice to have you back. I am especially fond of the Bc. Richard Mueller cross. No sign of a bloom spike on my rattlesnake yet but it is her season. And thanks for mentioning the Brassavola cucullata. I think it is the best orchid I posted this month and it got passed everyone.

MJ, the best guard dogs I know about are in Apopka and Laurel will confirm that. I adore your Christensonia vietnamica x Vanda cristata. Very nice!

Elaine, I'll take one of the monk's orchids and grow it in a pot in the OC, thanks. I also have to scratch my head when I read the official Florida invasive list. I have a well behaved Black Surinam cherry that is always labled invasive. It produces enough cherries to feed me and the critters and I say it stays.

Also, thanks everyone for the kind words. I think this is a good site where I have learned a lot and made some friends. Let's work together to keep it going.

I have another new one that opened last night. This is L. tenebrosa X Blc. Chinese Bronce 'Marco Polo'.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2012
11:29 AM

Post #9273167

C. Lueddemanniana, var. alba X self has opened up a little more to give me a better picture.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2012
11:32 AM

Post #9273169

Miltassia Aztec 'Toni' is just covered with blooms and spikes. It's a great plant.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2012
12:21 PM

Post #9273192

That C. Lueddemanniana, var. alba X self is my kind of plant! Pretty, pretty!

I called the nursery today and they only got in orange (my least fave color) spathoglottis so I'll see if I can find one in a different color this weekend at the Lakeland show. Or any other orchid that jumps into my arms, LOL! I'm sure there will be plenty begging to come home with me.

Melanie
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9273252

I will keep an eye open for one, Melanie.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9273259

Melanie, orange is one color of spathoglottis that I don't have - and I love it! Which nursery did you see them at?

If you're there any time soon again, would you snap a picture of the orange ones for me, please?

Btw, the trick at those orchid shows is to walk all the way around the displays once before you let yourself buy anything. That way you don't see the one plant you REALLY wanted after you've spent all your money.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9273289

The orange spathoglottis are at Duncheon's Nursery in Land O' Lakes. I will take your advice about the orchid shows - I only have a few must-haves on my list so I think I can manage to do one loop before the cash comes out!

Melanie

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

September 12, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9273300

This just opened its even better than my Blc. Mem Anna Balmores x Lc. Melody Fair thats still open(pic 2). Ill have to go look whats its name is though.

Thumbnail by breeindy   Thumbnail by breeindy         

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 12, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9273367

Lovely, Bree.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9273447

Those floofy lips look like square dance costumes, Bree. Amazing.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 13, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #9273908

Melanie, I was out and about this morning and spotted some 3 gallon yellow Spathoglottis plicata orchids. One stood out as the flowers were considerably larger than the others so I bought it. If you want it, I will hold it here for you. If not, don't worry as I'll just keep it myself. The cost including tax is $16.00. Let me know.

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 13, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #9274050

Jim, you work quickly! Yes, I would love to have it. Let me know when I can come by.

Melanie
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 13, 2012
10:30 AM

Post #9274071

I'll be home the rest of the day. Tomorrow I have phone duty at the Extension Service but will be home around 5:00 PM,

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 13, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9274091

Tomorrow after 5 would work. I still have your number and address. I'll leave my house around 5 so I should be there around 5:30ish. Also, my dad cut up some cedar boards for mounting orchids if you want any.

Melanie
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 13, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9274103

OK, see you tomorrow. I could use a couple of those cedar mounts, thanks.

Jim

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

September 13, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9274190

its called Lc. Mildred Rives x Blc. Burdekin Bells.

Thumbnail by breeindy

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 13, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9274202

I call it beautiful! Very nice and floofy.

Melanie
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2012
5:18 AM

Post #9274778

Good morning all. Here I sit at the MG desk in beautiful Seffner, Florida. Only one call so far but it may get crazy later on. Have a great day.

Jim
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9274780

Mornin' Jim. It's feeling like Fall at Mapop.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9274909

Still hot and humid here. Not a hint of fall. I'm also still swimming laps in the back yard.

Quiet here at the Extension. All of the agents are away at a meeting and the phone has been silent.

Jim
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9274952

Brassavola nodosa is in bloom. A second spike was bumped against the greenhut wall. I shifted it in hopes that it will continue to fill out. Meanwhile, the fragrance is lasting into late morning.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9274956

The last flowers on Ascocenda Laski 'Chili Pepper'. It's got a rusty brown tone that doesn't show up in the photos. Very subtle airbrushed look.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9274960

Here's the Pholidota imbricata. No obnoxious smell, Carol, though I did not stick my nose in it. It has been growing in straight 'ole cheapo cypress landscape mulch from the local big box store for almost two years. I use the smaller, bark size pieces.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9274968

An eerie backlit photo of Prosthecea cochleata, another of a spike that, as you can see by the stem joints, has been blooming for many, many months and the last of the plant. There are five spikes in bloom but I can't get the right angle to photo the whole thing.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel      

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #9274974

A better image of Beallara Tropic Tom

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9275041

If I close my eyes, I can almost smell that nodosa from here. I'm glad the Pholidota is blooming for you. It seems my rattlesnake has taken the year off. Very nice Beallara.

Now it is back to a caller who has crazy ants in his car.

Jim
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9275209

Hope I helped you pass the day. In other news, baby David Sander has a new lead.

Some random shots of the greenhut jungle. All of the above photos were taken yesterday.

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9275404

Wonderful news about Baby David. I knew he would be happy with you. Yes, you did help me pass the day. All went well and when I walked into the house about 5:30 this afternoon the phone was ringing and it was Melanie at the gate. She collected her yellow Spathoglottis plicata with the super sized flowers and I trust she is happy. Now I need to rest.

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9275406

Yep, I'm super happy with my new acquisition. And I imagine I'll be even happier tomorrow when I go to the Lakeland Orchid show. Be prepared for pictures of all my new purchases.

Melanie
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9275412

I forgot to mention that she gave me some nice cedar orchid mounts so I'm happy too. It's win/win around here.

Jim
This message was edited Sep 14, 2012 6:52 PM

This message was edited Sep 14, 2012 6:54 PM
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 15, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9275898

How do orchids multiply.
I guess there isn't any problem with getting rid of any pups. I have an orchid that is about 6 years old and has never gotten larger. I did realize that I wasn't misting it often enough. I have been using a very weak soluton of dyna-gro to mist it. Possibly that is what has brought it back to life.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 15, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9275965

Went to the orchid show today and spent lots of money. There were many beautiful displays as well as what the vendors brought in. Here's what I bought:

1. V. Insignis x V. tessellata This one smells amazing!
2. V. Pure Delight
3. Rlc. Tainan City
4. Rsc. Haw Yuan Gold "Yung Kang #2"
5. Blc. Chance the Chance "Kiramaci"

Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 15, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9275968

1. Den. Nalo Blush My first Den. I kept getting stopped by people who loved this one. It's hard to capture the blush on camera, though.
2. Pot. Hawaiian Charisma "Hawaii" Furthering my collection of orchids named after Hawaii, LOL!
3. Lc. Tanya Duncan "Seattle Blues"

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong      

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 15, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9276027

Wow, Melanie you sure got some beauties! Amazing double floof on 'Tainan City' and Nalo Blush is a beauty, too. My fave though, is 'Seattle Blues' being as I am from the Pac NW. Amazing colors on there.

Let's see a picture of your orchid house, with all those new bloomers in there?
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 15, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9276031

Looks like the orchid bug has bitten Melanie right between the eyes. Welcome to the club. All of your new babies look terrific. I'm especially fond of that first Vanda and the last Lc. Tanya Duncan. I also love the soft colors on your Dendrobium. You will find the Dens easy to grow. All in all, great choices. Enjoy!

Jim
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 15, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9276038

Peg, occasionally an orchid plant will bear a little plantlet off of its flower stem or pseudobulb. These little baby plants are often called Keiki's (Hawaiian for "baby"). When the roots are an inch long or so, they may be removed from the mother plant and planted in a seperate small pot with some orchid moss. Other times, large orchids are carefully divided using a sharp sterile knife. Starting orchids from seed is best left to the pros in labs.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 15, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9276180

I've been trying to wait for the third bud to open on my big purple Catt - don't know why but I like saying I grew a purple cat.

The third flower was poking its lip into its sister's back, so I 'messed with success' just a tiny bit and balanced a couple of styro peanuts in there to hold it away a bit. Hopefully in the morning it will be open all the way, and facing outwards.

You can see from the three pictures how hard it is to 'get' the color. First one is the closest, but it's really more dusky than that.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 15, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9276196

Very nice, Elaine. Looks like it has some Laelia in it.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 15, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9276272

Yep, sorry I thought I'd given its name up above. It is Blc. Mem. Hans Graf x Blc. Edisto

Blc = Brassavola, Laelia, and Cattleya, right? Or Brassia?

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

September 15, 2012
10:30 PM

Post #9276375

Its Brassolaeliocattleya..yep Brassavola
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 16, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9276599

outstanding flowers you purchased. Shows later this month here, but trying to keep everything from drying out is real work. Another day in the dry 100's today
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9276624

Very nice flowers Mellie and Elaine.

Ted, it is difficult to spend the money to add on when you are fighting the elements.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #9276732

Melanie - all your new babies are beautiful. Orchid shows can sure be expensive outings!!!!

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 16, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9276815

I saved my birthday money for it! Now, what to do about the Fall Plant Fest at USF next month, LOL!

Melanie
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9276842

As of sundown I will be off line for the next week plus in observance of the High Holy Holidays. Can't wait to see all your great photos when I return. It sometimes takes me a few days to get shaking (or un-shaking as the case may be) after the Yom Kippur fast.

L'shana tova to all (Happy New Year!)
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 16, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9276991

Still fighting the heat and dryness, but some guys just bloom regardless of the temp.
Iridifolius x Zygostatus Alleniana flower is about 1/8" across
Psychopsis adds another bloom
Snow Ballet does not care
Platystele misera umbellata always in bloom in the summer

Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310   

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 16, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9277007

Have a wonderful holiday, Laurel!

Ted, very nice blooms in spite of the weather. I love the shinny playstele. It seems everywhere Carol sends her Snow Ballet it does well.

I couldn't let the weekend pass without posting Lc. George Baldwin X C. Trithena. I just love the form and color.

Jim

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 16, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9277117

I refer to it as "the weed"!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 16, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9277151

Lovely blooms, Ted. The flowers on the platystele look like they're made of glass! How about an old rug or bath mat or two (couple of bucks at the thrift store) on the floor of your orchid area, and wet them down with the hose? My clever friend in Utah kept his greenhouse humidified by hanging wet towels in there. He's also the guy who used to heat his greenhouse all winter just by keeping tubs of water sitting on the floor. Sun would heat them enough by day that they would keep the temps reasonable at night. He grew some amazing stuff.

Lc. George Baldwin X C. Trithena is absolutely a beauty, Jim
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 17, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9277958

Thanks, Elaine, and here is one you may like as well. Just opening the first bloom on a long spike is Bllra. Marfitch 'Howard's Dream'. More to come on this one and I just spotted another spike coming on.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 17, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9278108

Hey guys, I have an easy question. How can you tell if a plant is making a sheath or if it's just another leaf?

Melanie
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 17, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9278205

Melanie, read this for info: http://everything-orchids.com/orchid-care/orchid-sheaths

Jim
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 17, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9278275

Mellie, I just went out to check mine for an example, and realised that you rarely can see both on the same plant. Usually the sheath appears after the plant is done growing for the season. Unless you're looking at something 1/4" long, you should see the groove on a new leaf, whereas a sheath is a closed structure that is more transparent than a leaf would be, and often a different color...spotted or streaked with some red tones. As it grows, it will be very obvious, and if held up to the light, you can see the buds forming in there... unless you live in So.Cal., in which case you will recognize the dry, papery remains.LOL!
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 17, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9278309

You're right Carol. And it is all our plants except for the tropicals. I have a Brug that needs to be watered twice a day...and sometimes that's not enough

This message was edited Sep 17, 2012 7:07 PM

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 17, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9278339

Thanks, everyone. I'll have to go take another look at it tomorrow. It just surprised me because the plant bloomed in the spring (when I bought it) and I wouldn't expect it to have a sheath again so soon.

Melanie

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 18, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9278680

Some of those Catt crosses seem to bloom more often than others, Melanie. That purple one I've been showing off above was in bloom when I got it last November, bloomed again in March, and now is in bloom again.

Another way to tell a sheath from a new leaf is to look at the rest of the plant. Some only ever get one leaf per each stem, and some have two. If the stem that has the (may be) sheath already has the same number of leaves as the other stems on the plant, then it is definitely a sheath. Show us a picture!
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 18, 2012
11:22 AM

Post #9278972

I have waited two years for my Vanda sanderiana, Var. alba to rebloom and the day is finally here. Here she is in all of her glory:

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 18, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9279004

Oooh, that vanda is pretty!

Here's a pic of what I'm pretty sure is a sheath. I see now that it doesn't have a vein like the leaves and it's shaped a little different. I have another purple cattleya in sheath so I had a clue what they looked like but I was just so surprised to see one on this plant.

And here's a pic of one side of the shade house. I have some repotting to do. All this rain isn't good for some of my orchids - they hold in too much moisture the way they were potted. So I'm fixing that a few at a time.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong         

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 18, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9279012

That's definitely a sheath. The shade house is looking good!

Jim
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 18, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9279430

This is the only way I can tell. lol

Thumbnail by ted5310

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

September 19, 2012
3:25 AM

Post #9279655

oh ted that looks like its a nice flower, id have split the sheath and let the flower form with more room. Is it just the one bud?

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 19, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9279724

Mellie,
Nice blooms you have there ! I really like the Lc. Tanya Duncan "Seattle Blues" too. Plus your shade house looks pretty cool,
I'm going to refer back to it for ideas.

Ted I like your Snow Ballet, I like anything that's not picky !!

Jim - you always have such nice bloomers, and lots of patience. The Vanda sanderiana, Var. alba is awesome.
I've got one (can't think of the name now) that has not rebloomed since I got it.
Thanks for the link on the sheaths, lots of other good info there to refer to also. Light is a big question I have on mine
as for the most part they are under trees. Won't be much sun or bright light here for a day or 2, lots of rain expected this week and we got a good
bit yesterday.

Elaine, purple is one of my favorite colors and that one of yours sure is a happy plant.
Got a few new ones blooming, I'll try to get some pics.
Get out the umbrellas it's gonna be a wet week.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 19, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9279913

Hey Mj, good to see you taking a break to sit down at your computer! We had a few good showers yesterday, but very brief. They were just enough to top up my rain barrels, thankfully. Hoping for more today, although the orchids have had enough. They are under the eaves for now.

Looks like I have been forgiven for taking a vacation in August, several plants have sheaths forming, even Blc. Chia Lin has two new ones starting up, after she aborted a great big fat sheath while I was away. Looks like I might have flowers on Lc. Trick or Treat and her sibling, Lc. Blazing Treat for Halloween.

One more of my purple baby, getting set to open it's 4th bud in a couple of days. Once again the bright morning light makes the petals look magenta, they are really a dusky purple.

This message was edited Sep 19, 2012 11:42 AM

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 19, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9280359

Beautiful color on that beauty, Elaine.

Here is a minor update from the OC:

The Psychopsis alba has put out another new flower.

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 19, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9280367

To continue, here are B. nodosa X C. netrasiri 'waxy' still holding color very nicely. Also Blc Golden Tang has a new bloom and a fat bud and of course there are always lots of dancing ladies.
Jim

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 19, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9280589

Seems to be only one bud, Bree. You would cut the sheath even tho the flower has broken through

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 19, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9280631

Hey Jim, this has been bothering me a little bit - how come Psychopsis alba is yellow and not white?

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

September 20, 2012
12:28 AM

Post #9280756

Ted id have split the shealth before the bud even opened. Can't wait for a pic when it opens looks awsome.
Good question dyzzypyzzy.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 20, 2012
4:26 AM

Post #9280810

My "sad" that my Den Spectable Alien has already lost her blooms. The paper I got with her said "low light". So I gave her that. Then I see Dens prefer high light. Guess I'll move her out to the sun porch & see if that perks her back up. She has produced a new stalk since I've had her so she can't be too unhappy.
Also wondered if the shipping up here from HI could have affected the buds.
Just hoping I can get her to rebloom.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

September 20, 2012
4:56 AM

Post #9280819

In my opinion Dens need really high light, even morning sun its phals and paphs that can handle lower light. Moving a orchid in bloom from one place to another can make the flowers drop though.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 20, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9280996

I agree with Bree in that most Dens like high light.

As for the alba question, the detail is in the genetics and the long scirntific answer will make your head hurt. My understanding as to
why can we find orchids of one and the same species with different flower colors is that it depends on the genetic design of a given species.

1. Some orchids have a genetic blueprint which allows flowering in different colors. For example, there are orchids that mostly have yellow flowers, but there are also many plants with red flowers. Yellow-flowered plants produce yellow-flowered offsprings and vice versa. But cross-pollination has also produced intermediate colors. This color dimorphism seems to be a characteristic feature of that particular orchid.

2. Color variation is one of several options how orchids of the same species may vary. Species with a great morphological variety often show a broad divergence of flower colors as well .

3. Beyond this broad spectrum of variations, some orchids also show individual genetic characteristics which result in white flowers. These forms are often described as genetical disorders, as an absence of pigments which define the color of a flower. Terms associated with this phenomenon are hypochromia (in contrast to hyperchromia which means excessive pigmentation or intense coloring) and albiflora. Alba or albiflora forms are devoid of any colored pigmentation, and are pure white. Formation of red flower pigments can be curbed or blocked with some individuals. Flowers with red pigments often have different color hues - when these pigments are totally absent, these flowers are white

4. Some people describe this individual genetic specialty as albinism: Thus, a plant whose flowers are devoid of any red pigmentation is colloquially termed an albino - these flowers may be light green, yellowish, or white. But, in a strict biological sense, an albino is a plant which lacks chlorophyll: Thus, albinism is the complete absence of green pigment that would normally be present. Since most of the orchids have green foliage leaves, they are not albinos, but albiflora forms. Sometimes the white color dominates just a part of the flower (like my V. sanderiana). In other cases the whole flower is pure white, and in other cases the flower is yellow or green like the Psychopsis.

There is one common characteristics of albiflora forms and albinism: Both phenomena are genetically recessive - an offspring might retain the white flowers but can also develop flowers in the standard color. But with some species the white flowered forms are quite common and develop stable populations. With tropical orchids some white forms have their own horticultural value and are being cultivated accordingly - with sometimes interesting results. It is, for example, possible to produce a colored orchid by crossing two albiflora orchids.

Terms used for white-flowered or relative forms:
•albiflorum/albiflora - white-flowered
album/alba - white
alboflavum/alboflava - whitish yellow
alboviride - whitish green
candidum/candida - pure white
flavescens - yellowish
virescens - greenish
pallidum/pallida - pale

I hope this helps.

Jim, asking where is Laurel when I need her?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 20, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9281141

Ha, Laurel could not possibly have made my head hurt more. I just thought that most flowers with 'alba' in the name were white.

Looking at your Psychopsis alba picture above, I see that it has stripes of paler color, rather than the reddish markings of the regular Psychopsis. So when they bred out the red markings they got to call it 'alba' ? Just a bit of a stretch, imho. That pretty baby is 'alboflava'.

Just for kicks, I Googled Psychopsis alba. The most interesting page was http://orchidsamore.com/tutorials/Butterfly orchids.htm Scroll down to the paragraph underneath the two pictures. It says "do not ask why". }} sigh {{
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 20, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9281194

I think you've got it! They call it alba because the red pigment has been blocked but it is actually an alboflava. The V. sanderiana is an alboviride.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 22, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9283272

Got a couple of bargain Phals off death row at Lowe's today. I must admit that although Phals can be kind of difficult, I've always admired the pale yellow ones like this. (camera washed out the yellow a bit) Big one was $5 and the little one $3.75. The nice clay pots they came in were worth what I paid.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 23, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9283762

Love the vibrant purple one. I just noticed along bloom shoot on one of my NOID phals.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 23, 2012
9:33 AM

Post #9283908

Bulb. fascinator opened for me a day or two ago. It is one of the few orchids I grow in moss.

Jim

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 23, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9283916

Jim - a lovely orchid.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 23, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9283992

Jim, my friend Kelly just commented that your 3rd picture looks just like a mermaid!

So pretty.

Elaine
GreenEyedGuru
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 24, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9284875

Zygopetalum Hybrid

Thumbnail by GreenEyedGuru   Thumbnail by GreenEyedGuru         

GreenEyedGuru
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 24, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9284882

C. Penny Kuroda x L. briegeri

Thumbnail by GreenEyedGuru

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 24, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #9284927

I can almost smell that Zygo from here! Mine is still a week or so away from blooming.
GreenEyedGuru
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 24, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9284931

It's the best smell in the world Carol :)

I picked up this Dendrobium yesterday in Half Moon Bay

Thumbnail by GreenEyedGuru

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 24, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9285041

The Zygo is gorgeous, guru, but I like the colors on the Penny Kuroda cross a lot.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 24, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9285044

I'm liking the dendrobrium, and I'm not usually a big fan of those. That one is special, I think!
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 24, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9285133

All are nice, Green Eyes. My Bulbos are blooming now so I won't say anything about fragrance. :>)

The Tampa Orchid Club is meeting tomorrow and I am taking three orchids for judging: Bulb. fascinator, Vanda Sanderiana var. alba and Beallara Marfitch 'Howards Dream'. I think the Beallara has the best chance at a ribbon.

Jim

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

September 24, 2012
2:16 PM

Post #9285176

I really love that Zygo! Wish i had one.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

September 25, 2012
2:00 AM

Post #9285660

Why oh why do you make me wait...Paph. Mabelle. hehe!
Rlc. Kat-E Sun is still open and more buds coming.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 25, 2012
7:16 AM

Post #9285840

Mabelle is being shy, Bree. Love the color on Kat-E Sun.
chiquib313
Homestead, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 26, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9287217

Just wanted to share some of my September blooms.
1. C. Maui Coral with two blooms
2. Den. Sakura
3. Blc. Makai
4. Ascda. Crownfox Butter Ball.
5. NOID Den.

Thumbnail by chiquib313   Thumbnail by chiquib313   Thumbnail by chiquib313   Thumbnail by chiquib313   Thumbnail by chiquib313

chiquib313
Homestead, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 26, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9287228

And also . . .
Dancing Ladies Oncidium, Brassavola Yellow Bird and a couple of photos of Phal. Taisuco Dalmatian 'Cruelia'

Thumbnail by chiquib313   Thumbnail by chiquib313   Thumbnail by chiquib313   Thumbnail by chiquib313   

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 26, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9287260

Lovely chiquib...
Especially like the Blc. Makai. I have a Blc. Makai cross ( can't remember w/o going out and looking at the tag). that has blasted at least 3 out of 7 sheaths. I'm very disappointed was so looking forward to this one, but the late heavy rains have taken their toll. Oh well maybe next year. I might get a few this year if I baby it along.
mj
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 26, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9287267

Nice show, Chiquib. I'm especially fond of the Blc. Makai and the yellow Brassavola.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 26, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9287360

Beautiful, chiqui! I'm a nut for the Brassavolas, too. Love the graceful form of the flowers.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

September 26, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9287444

wow love that noid Den. I had to have a close up as it looked like a Vanda. Love that yellow Vanda.
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 27, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9287731

Wonderful blooms. Love Yellow Bird

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

September 27, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9288141

Rlc. Kat-E Sun opened another 3 flowers on the other side of it. Is growing 2 ways and 3 flowers on each side open together each year.
Smell strong and like honey a bit.

This message was edited Sep 27, 2012 4:34 PM

This message was edited Sep 27, 2012 4:38 PM

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

September 27, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9288145

Paphs just keep going and going...Villosum hasnt changed.

Thumbnail by breeindy

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 27, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9288152

The Paph is a beauty, Bree. You do so well with them. I also like the Catt. Pretty, vivid colors.

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 27, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9288353

Kat E-Sun is not only beautiful, but now you tell me it smells good, too? I may have to put it on my list.

Melanie

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 28, 2012
2:10 PM

Post #9289149

Got something new today on a trade with Mj up in DeLand. She has acreage and horses, and found these falling out of a tree on her property. I think maybe she posted them last month, so sorry if this is a repeat, but I am just thrilled with my new tiny orchids!

Epi. magnoliae, or "Greenfly Orchid" I think she calls them. My big old book of Florida Native Orchids has a synonym Epidendrum Conopseum. In any case, tiny little flowers about 3/4in. across, leaves are less than 2in. long, fragrant at night, so pretty! They're growing on little hunks of bark with Resurrection Ferns.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9289164

Nice to just pick them out of the back yard. The only thing native to us are Mosquitos, Alligators and cypress trees.
I enjoy just looking at the pictures on this forum. Some of the technical words are not in my vocabulary, but I do pick up on a few tips now and then.
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 28, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9289351

That's neat! you have quite a few orchids that are "native" to your area. As far as I know, we have none. The only one I've seen in Ca. is a ssp of Habenaria that grows in the Sierras.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 29, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9289901

Actually, Peg these little orchids are native to your area as well. But you'll need to really search next time you're out in a natural area, look in the shade on the oak trees. They're very small and easy to miss because they grow with the ferns. The map where I looked it up says they are common all the way north to North Carolina, and are "surprisingly frost resistant". This time of year is when they are in bloom, too.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #9289915

Peg,
They are definitely native and hardy for your area. Here on the farm they grow on the long limbs of the Live Oaks mostly. That's where the Resurrection Fern grows and they typically grow there, but they will grow on native magnolia, Cypress, and a few other trees. When we get storms with a lot of wind that moves the tree's around they often fall out with a big chunk of Resurrection Fern. I've reattached them to oaks on the northeast side of the trunk and they have established themselves and grow quite well there.
They don't like alot of sun, but dappled/filtered is fine...ones in really deep shade tend to stay smaller and not bloom as well. They can start to bloom as early as June, but the strongest blooming time for them is late August thru the early November. Absolutely care free, no fertilizer, and I've only watered the ones that I've replanted when we weren't getting any rain and then only till they were established.

mj
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #9291294

I know I am a few hours early but I'm packing for three days at the Hilton on Clearwater Beach. It is the annual Master Gardener's Conference for Florida. I should be back home on Wednesday evening. The new thread is at: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1282559/

Jim

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A rare white form of the Pink Lady Slipper Orchid NCplantsman 10 Sep 12, 2009 12:38 PM
White Chinese Ground Orchid (Bletilla striata) goldenfish 4 Sep 10, 2009 1:04 AM
Any idea on an ID? langbr 5 Feb 7, 2009 12:29 AM
Orchid ID Dinu 4 Sep 27, 2012 9:44 AM
Seeds CaptMicha 12 Jun 12, 2008 11:35 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America