-
AuthorContent
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2012
4:56 AM

Post #9262089

After this summer, it's become apparent that I need to mulch my blueberry patch (after I dig them out from under the morning glories). I planted them in what used to be "lawn", so I think grass will be an issue as well. What would be the best mulch to use, something I can use in a heavy layer to smother the unwanted intruders. I've considered several alternatives, but thought I'd ask people with more experience before deciding :)
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2012
5:06 AM

Post #9262092

I use pine straw, myself. Lots of pines here so its free for the raking.

pbyrley

pbyrley
Port St Lucie (+ Wk , FL
(Zone 9b)

September 10, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9270685

To humor my laziness, I just use the pine mulch bags from Lowe's, I think its $3.99 per bag. Pine bark (or pine straw) gives you the acid that blueberries love. I don't know about smothering weed (i.e. morning glories) or grass with just the pine bark. I still have some left over plastic mesh Lowe's sells for weed suppression under mulch and it works well for me.

Paul
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2012
4:42 AM

Post #9271687

Thanks, Paul. I have a roll of weed cloth and will be using that, I think. I have plenty of pine straw in the woods, but may just buy the convenient kind. Need to do something...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9317791

I have used local gathered pine straw for years. Its not as big and wiry as the baled pie straw I bought from a hardware store in NC this spring, but a local white pine tree. Anyway- thick enough it can suppress some weeds. I still have a creeping grass get under it, lightly, and godawful morning glories. (an idiot I saw letting them grow all over the bushes one year) But nothing else new seems to sprout under it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Fruits and Nuts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Fruit Trees forum! dave 36 Feb 14, 2008 2:20 PM
spraying trees notmartha 18 Mar 29, 2009 1:52 PM
plum tree-loaded! notmartha 50 Sep 5, 2007 1:57 PM
Anyone have PawPaw fruit? crestedchik 67 Feb 29, 2008 2:08 AM
Strawberry Predator? TuttiFrutti 2 Aug 17, 2008 3:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America