-
AuthorContent
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9262397

Here is what I posted on our fall swap thread.

Sally and I met up with Garlic Man at Farmers Mart on Sat. He's been growing garlic on a large scale for almost 10myears on a half acre. Of the nine varieties he grows, the following will be available at our swap. Eat them or grow them or both!

Elephant Garlic $2

Hardnecks
Chesnok Red $.75
Music $.75
German White $.75

Softnecks
Oregon Blue $.75
Wiiamette $.25

Thumbnail by coleup
Click the image for an enlarged view.

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9262399

reserved
sticking in some resources here for future reference

The Many Uses of Garlic - http://perrysperennials.info/articles/garlicben.html

Elephant Garlic - http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/allium/msg0620360429399.html

Nichols - [HYPERLINK@www.nicholsgardennursery.com]

http://www.territorialseed.com/product/11136

On-line garlic farmers market
http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/growers.html

vermont http://www.greenmountaingarlic.com/shop/garlic/

http://2sistersgarlic.com/varieties.htm

local harvest http://www.localharvest.org/store/M19189
http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/market-farming/2009-July/030495.html

http://fxcuisine.com/Default.asp?Display=151

http://www.thedailygreen.com/green-homes/blogs/organic-gardening/growing-garlic-460709

http://www.recipe.com/blogs/cooking/garlic-recipes-ten-things-you-didnt-kno/

This message was edited Oct 2, 2012 7:46 PM
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9262439

Sign me up!! I'll try one of each!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9262447

I planted grocery store garlis last year with great results. So I'm looking forward to these even better kinds.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9262500

I'll take 3 heads each of the hardnecks, please. They can go in as the Amaryllis bulbs come out this fall, I think. I'll send $7 with somebody or swap for a pound of moisture crystals. :-)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2012
12:42 PM

Post #9262512

um Jill, that might kinda blow thru ''our inventory'' LOL! Unless Judy is kind enough to get more.
(Which knowing Judy she may very well be)

Looking at some internet sites- they are already sold out on quite a few items. Another reason to Grow Yer Own!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9262527

Close to 98 percent of all garlic in our grocery stores, etc is produced in China and is of the variety 'China white'

Here is a link to the website of what Fortune magazine calls the garlic industry's equivalent to Nike or Coca Cola
http://www.prettygarlic.com/

I believe there are 17 sub types of garlic, which is in the allium family (onions), and over 600 varieties! So we are just scratching the surface here,

What is nice about buying locally grown garlic and supporting our local farmers and economy is that local garlic when planted is already acclimated to our area winter/spring weather temps! Garlic Man did make clear that the garlic I am bringing to our swap that he grows and sells is for consumption, (He told S and I that he saves the best 200 bulbs of each variety to replant his own fields and brings any extra to the market.)
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9262546

Critterologist, Jill< that is absolutely clever, to alternate garlic and amaryllis! Have you done this before? Read about it? Just thunk it up on your own?

I was already planning to meet up with Garlic Man to get his positive ID of several bulbs I bought from him a month ago that I think are German White which he is currently 'sold out of'. I also have some very small bulbs of German White from my own harvest (and bulbils, too) and want to get his opinion on whether being so small, the cloves would 'make a head' next year or take two to mature.

So, yes, I can restock our " inventory" up to. and including, the 7 am opening of the Farmers Mart the day of the swap! And, next fall if the sun shines and the rain falls and we keep our garlic patches weed free we should have our own to swap!

Below is a pic of my harvest . They were grown in containers and if any one here thinks I have any expertize in garlic growing...I thought they were some left over unharvested onions that were going to seed this spring and yanked them out way early and certainly didn't treat them like a good garlic grower would! But, that was then and this is now...

Cool beans

Thumbnail by coleup

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9262593

Coleup -- can I try 3 of each, please? And I'm happy to pay for and/or pick up for Critter...
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #9262685

Chantell and terp, got you covered,

Critter and Happy got you both covered for up to three of each variety.

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

Hey Sally, who knew? Seems at least one of our field of dreams will be planted in garlic!

Grow it and they will come
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9262796

Yippee, that means I will have to see Happy after the swap!

Coleup, I haven't done it before but thought about it (too late) last fall as I was lifting the amaryllises. I figure I can stick garlic cloves in easily when I dig up the big amaryllis bulbs. I'll be planting the amaryllis out in the garden before the garlic is ready, probably, but it shouldn't be a big deal to work around the garlic and find enough space for the amaryllis. Or I can let the amaryllises stay in their pots until the garlic is ready to pull...
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9262849

lol Some think that garlic tends to keep people at a distance but here it seems to bring us together!

Garlic Man plants 3 - 4 inches apart (pointy end up). Might throw some nourishment in those amaryllis holes cause garlic like to eat. He says they really don't need to be planted deeper that you would an onion set, with elephant garlic a little deeper and father apart.

Sally, were we taking notes?

Oh yes, cut the flower scapes on hardnecks for bigger bulbs. Hardnecks take more work (cutting flower scapes which do not all bloom at the same time) than softnecks. Generally hardnecks don't keep as long as softneck (6-8 mos versus 3-4 for )

This message was edited Sep 3, 2012 6:05 PM

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9262858

coleup - I'd like 4 bulbs each of Chesnok Red and Music. Thanks

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9262871

Took note- he told us to plant garlic cloves about five inches apart, closer than we thought.

Watching for garlic scapes seems like an easy task for us hobby gardeners who will be strolling the garden frequently anyway.

From my own notes- planted my presumed China White in early October and the tops all fell in late May.I think every clove grew. I have eaten the smaller bulbs first and you'll see what I have left by swap. One that I put in the produce drawer went bad but the ones I have stored warm and dry are still looking totally good. So they're about at 3 months now from harvest.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #9262937

wooooowhoooo! This is exciting!! Judy, thanks to you and Sally - dmail me what I owe you please and thank you!!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #9262939

Oh -- so you harvested in May? I don't know why I was thinking July... Harvesting in May or June would be perfect timing for putting the amaryllises back out there.

Thanks, I wasn't thinking of putting the garlic cloves at the very bottom of the hole, more like thinking that digging up the amaryllis will give me a nice little area of "worked" soil. Darius did a series of informative articles on garlic... see her articles (or search articles for "garlic") if you're wondering "what's a softneck?" etc.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #9262945

http://davesgarden.com/sitewidesearch.php?q=Garlic
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9263117

THanks for the link, Chantell! (got my back, again)

:-)

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 3, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9263992

Think Dionne Warwick "That's what friends are for..
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9264087

:-)

And if no garlic comes my way this fall, no worries... those who are successful growing it this time around will hopefully save a few extra heads to share with the rest of us next fall!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 4, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9264486

Just got back from the Tuesday Morning Farmers Market.

Seems that Garlic Man has taken a liking to us!

So much so that he will bring two bulbs of his "hottest" variety, 'Georgian Fire' for me this Sat morn. That's pretty cool since those two bulbs are from his planting stock! (The biggest and best of the harvest}

He said to tell everyone who is going to plant that " the first year the cloves do a lot of acclimating to individual soil and weather conditions and then really take off the second year."
"Elephant garlic gets about 3 feet tall and needs 5 inches of space all around to mature properly. Plant it 4-5 inches deep."

And, soo much more...but later for that.

Chantell, I'm putting your name on a Georgian Fire!
http://www.groworganic.com/garlic-georgian-fire-organic-lb.html

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9264488

My hand is waving for the fire!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 4, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9264500

I see it waving! Maybe we will have to break it down to the clove level!

As Sally intimates, we are getting a real bargain here with Garlic man. Seed garlic goes for around $18 per pound (2-4 bulbs) plus shipping. (see prices on above link to Georgian Fire) Garlic Man says it is just not cost efficient for him to introduce more varieties than he currently offers. It would take 4 years or so to grow enough stock seed to begin offering it for sale. He currently plants 10 500foot rows in garlic. That's a lot of hand planting! But he is partial to growing garlic. onions and potatoes because you plant them once and then harvest them...no fiddlin with them in between, and no bugs!

Just priced elephant garlic at Whole Foods at $4.99 a bulb

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9264545

I once grew Georgian Fire. It is REALLY hot garlic! A peeled clove held passivly in the mouth set my whole mouth on fire. Tamer once cooked. Enjoy.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 4, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9264553

greenthumb, what others have you grown?

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9264580

Spanish Roja, Purple Italian Easy Peel and Purple Glazer are the only others. All were excellent in their own way, but Georgian Fire made the greatest impression.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 4, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9264975

Wow, this is all way cool.

I'll be looking out at the grocery store for a purple skinned bulb possibly-easy-peel IF by chance they still offer that once in a while. My China Whites are hard to peel. That last layer of thin skin really sticks.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9265005

Sally - all the garlics I grew were hardnecks, so you are unlikely to find Purple Italian Easy Peel in the grocery. I am restricted to the white grocery garlic most of the time and find that it peels easily if I press hard on it with the flat of my chef's knife until the skin pops. Then the skin comes right off.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 4, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9265064

Okey doke- I have at some time seen some sort of a grocery garlic with purple skins. Could have been tem years ago tho lol.
I've heard the knife trick, and imagine I tried it, but will try again.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 4, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9265146

Ah... so maybe this first fall we just need to split up an assortment of cloves (don't necessarily need a whole head) so we get a handful of "better adapted" cloves to plant next year... ?
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #9265270

I think that's a great idea Jill!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 4, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #9265300

Critter, I think Garlic man is surprised that there are a number of us who want to plant the garlic he grows and want to know how he does what he does and why. Actually he reminds me of us here on Daves and the spirit behind our swaps and that keeps us coming back and passing on.

He told me he doesn't grow garlic because it's a big money maker , but because he likes garlic! And he likes growing it.! Now, he will get some feedback and questions and stories on how his garlic grows for each of us in this garlic lovers adventure in MAF.

So I take his comment to us about..."it really takes off the second year" as a way of saying he hopes we won"t be disappointed.

To clarify, the garlic I'll be bringing to the swap is better adapted than any we could order. Having a bulb or two of each variety, we can plant some and eat some and next June July harvest enough to replant, eat and eventually share with others.

This message was edited Sep 4, 2012 11:00 PM
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 4, 2012
9:25 PM

Post #9265335

OK, Y'all are confusing me as the procurer of these assorted garlic bulbs!

Yep, trying one of each or several kinds is a great idea but if you only get one clove, you can only eat or plant it, not both. If you plant it and it doesn't yield a full head, you're sort of back to square one.

To simplify things for me, the minimum quantity available of each variety is one bulb, not by the clove. For planting purposes, the bulb should be kept intact until planting time (which is mid Oct) to minimize possibility of drying out, etc. If you only want to plant one clove...just eat the rest of your bulb!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 4, 2012
10:26 PM

Post #9265379

I heartily agree there that each person will want a whole head of any given kind.
Plant all the cloves or use the smallest for tasters.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9265656

Wooooowhooooo...tell Garlic Man we owe him a garlicy smooch-a-roo!!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 5, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9265681

lol Chantell! He did sort of blush when I told him we call him Garlic Man!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9266262

Tell him we'd gladly feed him should he like to do a 30 min (or more) Garlic for Dummies presentation at Sally's
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9266279

That is a great idea Chantell.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9266284

Thank you Terp. Sally - would that be ok with you? Judy - do you think that be of interest to him or is he at the market all day? Wouldn't want to interfere with his livelihood...but if he's close enough and wanted to break for lunch or something...
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 5, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9266320

Sounds very interesting!!!! Said in the voice of the guy that said that on Laugh In years ago. Didn't he hide behind a bush also?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9266404

Of course by the head is fine, also... I wasn't sure if you were running short, and I'd like to try them all! But I'll be happy with any available, and as I said, there's always next year, too. :-)

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9266412

If Garlic Man is local and does not have a Farmer's Market conflict, perhaps he would consider a Meet & Greet & Eat, withTell & Sell.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9266423

LOL David...you may have missed your calling!! Or did you do advertising as well?
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9266978

Heehee

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9267862

I'm unclear from thread as to the availability of 'Georgian Fire'. If availible I would like as least one bulb, two if there is enough.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9267892

I know Jim would love to try 'Georgian Fire' also... in case Garlic Man brings extras... cost-wise, please pick up $5 to $10 of assorted garlic on my behalf if possible if you see Garlic Man at the farmers' market tomorrow. I sure hope he can come to the "meet & eat & show & sell & etc" :-)
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9267914

Greenthumb and Critter.

I will be going to the Farmers Mart early tomorrow morning to see if Garlic Man has brought any of his seed stock 'Georgian Fire' garlic bulbs for us as he offered on Tues when I saw him.

I will post availability here, if any. Chantell has first dibs.

I'll also float the idea of a "Meet Greet Eat" "Tell Smell Sell" at or swap.

This message was edited Sep 7, 2012 10:35 AM
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9268073

Coleup.

You can put me on the bottom of the list for Georgian Fire, I would like to add it but I can always wait for future seasons.

Can you explain the allure of the elephant garlic? It takes up a lot of space.

-P

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9268251

Here I am feeling ogre-ish.
By this point, ( by this weekend) Garlic Man has pretty much sold us all we say we are planning to buy.
I don't want him to think there are fifty OTHER NEW people coming to buy more garlic.
But hey if he thinks it'd be fun to stop by , eat a plate, and meet us, why not?
~~
Elephant garlic is more a novelty I'd say. (They say) It has a mild garlic like flavor in a shockingly large clove size. Leek family acc to Garlic Man.

Thumbnail by sallyg

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9268334

Dear Sally,
When I feel an "ogress" (feminine form of 'orge') coming on (or necessary) I eat more garlic!

Seriously, after finally attending a swap myself at Holly's, I can't honestly imagine how one day is ample enough to meet, greet swap and eat ourselves let alone include a "seminar" or even a mini workshop! And, I hope that many of us will have some quality time with you and your garden to pass along whatever good thoughts we might have for "changes" you envision as you stated on your Wants list.

So, let me revise...when I see Garlic Man tomorrow, I will thank him for growing more than the grocery store garlic varieties and that we are looking forward to trying them and that we are grateful for any 'tips' he has shared and that we will try to give his garlic good homes! And have fun growing it!

Ogress Judy signing off.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9268395

Dear Judy,
I'm so glad I didn't offend your sense of generosity in thinking to invite GM over. Thanks for taking charge of the garlic acquisition and relaying his info, as well as our enthusiasm for his product. If I see him at a closer by me market I will of course say hi .
Yrs,
Sally
(who will feel like a princess with all you wonderful ppl here next Saturday!)

Thumbnail by sallyg

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9268455

Sally---

Seems you are into alter Egos lately...:o))

This is how I feel! Total Inertia...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9270188

Judy and Sally - my apologies...I meant well when casually mentioning an invite to GM...I over stepped when suggesting a garlic 101 class. Mouth/fingers in gear prior to brain. If I've offended either of you - please forgive my impulsive typing. I only do this with 'family' y'all feel blessed - don't you? Again - please accept my humble apologies...those thoughts/suggestions would have been more appropriate via dmail and I know better.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9270202

Oh pshaw fugeddaboudit, it was all a bunch of idle chatter as usual!!!!

Will we have enough garlic to cut a clove each and compare the scents?
Like today I cut my presumably China White and again thought, hm this is not quite the same yummy-garlic smell as what I used to buy.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9270206

sally, in a similar vein, when I was young my eyes would tear when I cut up onions, but it hasn't happened in years. Have the onions changed, or have I? Have you had similar experience?

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9270209

Yes, I wonder too...have we acclimated to these things or as with so many things touched by humans are the 'new and improved' not so improved?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9270212

Ya know, maybe we see more of the 'sweet' onion varieties being sold. I don't get teary very often either. Maybe the growers are breedng out the 'tears', on purpose or inadvertently.
Hey the knife trick worked perfecty tonight! I could have sworn I tried it before but must not have.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9270226

I seem to recall that the onions back in the "old days" had more bite too. I would think that the two properties would be related.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 10, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #9270533

It depends on the onion here. Sometimes I tear, sometimes I don't

I bout spit out my coffee when I read 'idle chatter'. Who us? Hahahaha

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9271904

Georgian Fire Garlic

Garlic Man brought one bulb of Georgian Fire to share amongst us. This bulb has seven cloves. So, we are down to the clove level on this one.

However, I have found two sources for GF garlic that are not "sold out".

Green Mountain Garlic has organic seed bulbs available by the pound (4-5 bulbs/lb) for $19.95 + shipping. They fill their order in the order received so even if we ordered today, they wouldn't arrive til post swap.
http://www.greenmountaingarlic.com/shop/garlic/

Second possibility is Rainbow Seeds through Amazon.com. They sell GF garlic bulbils
approximately 50 for $5.79 plus shipping. It is my understanding that planting bulbils takes 2 yrs to become a full head. http://www.amazon.com/Georgian-Fire-Heirloom-Bulbils-Hardneck/dp/B005OOUHUK/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1347372967&sr=1-1

Any interest in a joint order in time for fall planting, please let me know asap. Thanks. Judy

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9271918

Judy-

I would be in favor of the bulbils! I would rather have half a dozen or a dozen bulbis..than a starter bulb or two.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 11, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9271928

Has anyone here ever made garlic soup? It's similar to French onion soup, with a little crouton and broiled swiss cheese on top. You have to figure a whole head of garlic person for the soup; a bit more if the garlic heads are small. Well, I got myself going here. Gotta get myself a bag of garlic at the corner fruit stand. I might also make homemade garlic bread to go with that, and a Caesar salad. Garlic doesn't stand a chance in this house! We don't use garlic as a topping for ice cream because it's disrespectful for the garlic.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9272346

lourspolaire- you'll have all our mouths watering!! Glad you posted in on your love of garlic.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9272378

lourspolaire - Can you fly up for our swap and bring garlic soup for the food table? You are certainly welcome. ;-)

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9272496

YUMMEEE!!! Count me in for a sm # - whoever y'all decide to go with

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 12, 2012
1:31 AM

Post #9272778

I'll pass on Georgia Fire,. Just not a hot taste kinda gal~~ so just lettin ya know I did see.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9273331

I'm in for Georgia Fire, but only if there is enough to go around...

I was thinking of growing garlic in containers -- think that would work?
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 12, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9273401

Happy, I grow my garlic in containers as I do most veggies, etc. They seem to do fine if container is large enough, etc. Here is a link to some garlic container growers from Virginia. Go towards the bottom of the page to read their account
http://www.wegrowgarlic.com/12401/17001.html
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 15, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9275780

Sorry, I totally forgot to include any $ for garlic in my baggie for Coleup... please ask Terri to pay for any you have for me (she's collecting $ for crystals & pens, so that should cover it... and I did send $ for the dwarf crepe myrtle but again please get more from Terri if there's an extra one of those, as I'd have no problem finding a friend or neighbor to gift it to.

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9276246

How delightful it was to share my first Garlic Tasting with you all today at the swap! Much more fun than sampling solo. Sorry you missed it Terp and Critter, but hey, by next year maybe we'll have growed enough garlic to have a Garlic cook off! Maybe we will even win over some non garlic fans.

Informal vote says 'Music' is a winner. And, I must say we have some very sophisticated pallets among us!!!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9276276

Fun tasting th different kinds. Thank you and Sally for talking up 'garlic' man. Will be interesting to see how the crops grow! Sure wish DH liked garlic more.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9276910

Coleup, I'm late in joining this thread.

Am I also late in ordering garlic? What do I do if I want just a couple of bulbs of Music?
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #9276923

You talk to me -- I have more than I can use!
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9276934

Thanks, Happy! Problem solved! :)

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9277306

Yes - I'm thrilled to try this experiment...going in pots as Judy suggested...YUMMMMM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 17, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9277523

Farmers Coop (Southern states) has Chesnok Red and something softneck white. THe Chesnok was larger than Garlic man's- but it was 3.99$ EACH
Another good experiment for us would be compare the storage life of all of them adter we harvest. My 'china white' that I pulled in late May or early June, is stored above the fridge warm and dry and still great..

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9277572

Hmmm...I need to go to Southern States tonight (dog stuff) - will see what "mine" has and report back

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9278765

Southern States report...SHEESH!! However they have oddles of things on sale now

Thumbnail by Chantell

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9278801

Thanks for the report! I need to head out to one! None close by me, which is annoying.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 18, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9278889

lol Happy, are you in the market for more garlic?!!

Here is a link to an easy roasting method I used for the swap Tasting
http://fxcuisine.com/Default.asp?Display=151

And a link to Garlic Festivals, scroll down to Sept/Oct dates. There is one near Charlottesville,VA that is a Garlic and Wine Festival!
http://www.garlicseedfoundation.info/festivals.htm

This message was edited Sep 18, 2012 12:00 PM
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2012
11:04 AM

Post #9278954

No, Coleup, you have me well-supplied with garlic! I need to get some pots ready...
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 19, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9279940

Geez, that's high for a garlic bulb... even if every clove gives you a bulb, that could end up being like $1 per bulb for garlic from your own garden!

I got back home last night... had a great gettaway visiting Jim's folks, but really really missed seeing everybody Saturday!

Umm... I don't know how hte garlic worked out (although I hear I missed a fun tasting event), but if Terri has some for me and if I own anybody $, please let me know!
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9279956

What is everybody doing to plan on planting the cloves?

From what I read it should be a few weeks before the forst, planted 2 inches down? 5-8 apart? Rich soil and mulch with leaves or hay to help regulate the soil temperature to prevent thawing and refreezing, which lets be honest is a problem in this area.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 19, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9279959

My little town, Delray Beach holds a yearly garlic festival in February. Will we see any of you down here then?

http://www.dbgarlicfest.com/

Sylvain.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 19, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9280059

ROAD TRIP !!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 19, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9280095

coleup wrote:
ROAD TRIP !!

Geeze i wish!!!!!!!!!

Terp yup you got it though garlic man indicated quite close spacing. I think five inches is good. Yup i mulched mine with good layer of shredded fall leaves.

This message was edited Sep 19, 2012 12:25 PM
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9280112

Sally, you planted them already? I was going to hold off for a week or two.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 19, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9280115

Critterologist, Yes Terri has garlic for you and we are square money wise.

Garlic Math.

---Seed Grade Garlic (biggest and best of harvest).
2 heads of Chesnok @ $8 = 16 cloves. 16 cloves planted = 128 cloves harvested. or $.062 per clove

--Eating Garlic (what the grower doesn't use for replanting ie from Garlic Man)
2 heads of Chesnok @ $1,50 = 12 - 14 cloves planted = 70 -90 cloves @ $.02 per clove

Additionally, seed grade has shipping/handling/packaging/taxes... and is usually sold as "disease free".

Paul, will try to address planting and to mulch or not and when to mulch or not later this evening. Those of you who received a single clove of Georgian Fire will need to consider planting it soon to avoid drying out or tendency to sprout once removed from head. More on that, too.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 19, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9280150

Terp and Sally, It is ok to plant them now but they will almost definitely put up top growth before now and "winter". All they really need to do before cold is put out roots and be ready to grow in "spring". Less top growth now, more bulb growth/development in spring (You don't want your daffodils to sprout too early only to be killed back...)

Mulching garlic is mainly for weed control and then some winter protection where warrented. A bigger concern with mulching before freeze is that too much moisture will be retained in soil and rot out the cloves. After they have put out roots and cold weather arrives would be better timing on any winter protection mulch.

Garlic is very winter hardy! The problems come with growing it in warm/cool winter climates, not the other way around.

Are you planting your daffodil bulbs now? I plant mine around Thanksgiving! My garlic (in containers) will go in beginning of Nov, except for Georgian Fire which I've got the pot ready for now and will keep a good eye on so it doesn't dry.

This message was edited Sep 19, 2012 12:55 PM
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9280161

No I'm not planting daffs for a while. I am putting in tulips though. I got a couple dozen from brookside gardens this year (they were free) and due to the awful awful year of impatiens need to plant some mums in my naked front bed.

Need to put the tulips in under mums. I'm waiting to borrow the bulb drill attachment from a friend.

I will def wait for the garlic to go in, I might till up the spot now though.

They are being stored in a dark closet until that time.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 19, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9280193

Don't laugh, but that might be the sort of road trip that would appeal to DH... especially if I could promise him a week on a quiet Gulf beach after... too bad it isn't a little later in the year when rates drop a bit, but hmmm..

Lours, it's fun to see you here in the MAG forum!

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 19, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9280316

Delray Beach is a very interesting destination for a chlorophil addict.

The American Orchid Society has its headquarters, garden and greenhouse here. Across the street from the AOS is Morikami Japanese Gardens and Museum.

We are 1 hour away from Fairchild, or Viszcaya. It's only 20 minutes from Mounts, 20 minutes from Butterfly World and if you want to see the Everglades, a bit over an hour takes you into Everglades National Park where you'll see more alligators than you can shake a stick at. They've all seen humans before. They don't run away when someone walks by. You can observe them all at leisure. They even pose while you take pictures.

An airboat ride through the Everglades is 20 minutes away from here and Delray Beach is 2.5 miles away from here. And let's not forget: Gail and I live here year-round. The possibilities are just about endless. You can't swing an overripe pineapple around here without hitting a golf course. Let's face it: there are worse things in life than being stuck in Delray Beach in February during the Garlic Fest. Think about it. It's a good thing, I tell you.

Sylvain.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 19, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9280426

Paul,
Sorry- I meant, when I planted last year's garlic, that's what I did. The leaf mulch was probably much later, our leaves don't finish until late November, in fact, pretty sure that we used neighbors' shredder in Thanksgiving week or after. YEA, it was, because my younger son made a huge enormous leaf pile for older son to jump when he came home for TG week.
(((sons)))
So we shredded leaves after all that.

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 20, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9280937

((sons)). Heehee. Ours would rake paths through the leaves and play leaf tag. Now they do it with their own kids. I love it.

Yay, ROAD TRIP!!!! I wish. Sounds great.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9294001

Anybody planted yet?
I am going to dig up my sweet potatos on Thursday and will decide where to put the garlic after that.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2012
9:16 PM

Post #9294282

Sally, I found the discussion of when to plant in MD interesting and informative. Can you believe that someone planted each of the 540 varieties and compared them!!! That's my kind of 'scientific' approach.

Recommended time to plant Oct 15 - Nov 15. Garlic Man says a couple of weeks yet.

If your bulbs start to sprout or 'soften' go ahead and plant them asap. Later planting means less weed growth.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/allium/msg07125011629.html?16

Did you know that one of the compounds that form when garlic is crushed is almost identical to a compound in skunk spray?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2012
9:55 PM

Post #9294309

thanks for the time frame, I can relax

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 3, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9295235

Gardeners supply catalog has a half pound of organic garlic for fifteen dollars
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9295248

Too bad I only plant inorganic.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 3, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9295297

lol, if you plant inorganic garlic and grow it organically, what you harvest will be organic!

Last time I played how many bulbs of garlic in a pound, I came up with 8 - 10. So say $3 each from Gardeners Supply?

Sally, did you see the Garlic Grow Bags they offer? 24 inch diameter by 8 inches deep...plants 18 - 20 cloves. Good info for those of us who will be using containers

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 4, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9295659

Inorganic garlic...like plastic? Haha.

Yes coleup did see those. And the size did seem ok for the 18 - 20 cloves they recommend it for . Lots of other cute things there. Lots of pricey things too.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9297074

I was considering planting this weekend...course I have many things I "think" I'm going to accomplish...ugh...more time in the day would be appreciated...LOL

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9303011

I came back to recheck planting times. Looks like we can keep the garlic handy to ward off vampires on Halloween, then go ahead and plant
Tee hee.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2012
5:17 AM

Post #9330905

SO?
Is it time to plant them? I still have not. Bed is ready...E. side of my shed. AM sun until 2PM-3PM.
It will be next to my Strawberry plants and a Chive plant that has been there forever...

Please save me some time and tell me:
--How deep do I plant them
--Do I plant single cloves? more than oneclove in the same hole? May not have room for just single cloves...
--How far apart?

**Can I plant some kind of easy annual over that area next summer until the garlic sprouts?
Like Marigolds ir Impatiens (shallow rooted)???
Will that affect the growth and production any?

I know I printed out all the directions--but then i would have to go looking for them.

Thanks, Gita

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2012
5:40 AM

Post #9330930

Gita- Depending on source, directions counsel planting 2 to 6 inches deep, 4 to 8 inches apart, one clove to a hole. The deeper and closer figures are said by some to result in smaller bulbs. Annuals above the cloves would be the same as weeds - competitors for moisture and nutrients - diminishing bulb size. The hardneck garlic produces scapes in a figure "4" that add interest to the planted area if you choose not to cut them. If you cut the scapes then the plant's resources will be directed solely to bulb development. Besides, the scapes can be used in cooking.

Any unplanted cloves can, of course, be used in the kitchen. :-)

This message was edited Nov 12, 2012 9:42 AM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9330990

Thanks, David.

I got an asst. goody bag of a few Garlic types, at Sally's Swap, that was on the gift table.

I know there is a 1/2 head of Elephant garlic in there--plus a couple others.
You may remember that growing garlic was all thr rage at that time--headed by coleup.
They even had a roasted garlic tasting--again--prepared by coleup. Yummm...

I am not a huge garlic eater--use it in dishes that call for it. I like a touch of garlic as a flavor--
but not the heavy taste some prefer. Same as I do not eat overly spicy foods. NO hot peppers for me!

Thanks for the input! Will try to get to it soon. All kinds of other commitments and stuff to do
this time of year. Gita
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 12, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9331047

lol, I guess I was too busy with garlic swapping and tasting to even know we had a gift table!

To add to David Greenthumbs response...

---The elephant garlic is the "mildest" and should have most growing room per large clove
---Smaller cloves can be planted 5 - 8 in a 3-gallon container or larger. I set mine in a pile of leaves for the winter (and then relocate them to sunnier sites if desired or necessary in early spring) You could do that with 'overflow', or just pop one in almost anywhere.
---I'm planting a row between the edge of my garden and where some tomato plants will be set out. They shoud be harvestable before the maters really take over.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2012

Post #9334637

Thanks -- that is helpful for me as well. I'm going to do them all in containers (I think), with my fingers crossed.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9338717

So has everybody planted? I did, I think, first week November.
Mine ended up about 3 inches deep give or take not sure how much the covering layer will settle. About six inches apart in rows that are 8 or ten inches apart. I'm trying not to be anxious over when I see sprouts of green. The ELephant cloves I gave more room.
When I took the heads apart I realized it would have been smarter to buy more than one so I'd get more big cloves. Oh well. Then I did one from the store just labeled product of Mexico, just to compare. It had a much yellower inner skin than the 'china white' I bought and grew last year.

This message was edited Nov 20, 2012 11:15 PM

Thumbnail by sallyg   Thumbnail by sallyg   Thumbnail by sallyg      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9338890

Sally---

I am still struggling with taking the 1st step in this. My little area has been dug up and
amended long ago. Thinking I may get it done this week. Not cooking or going anywhere
for Thanksgiving. Aina and Mark wanted to go to her Dad's for dinner. Big crowd.
Better than the 3 of us sitting down to a delicious meal. More people is better...
It is OK! --even though she feels guilty about leaving me without.
I have already had my Feast at HD--and made a big pot of soup from 3 of the leftover carcases
that I took to work last Sunday and let everyone "go at it"...Yummmmmyy...

Anyway--back to garlic...
In your 1st picture, Sally, will you also plant the smaller cloves? I would guess--no.
I have not yet taken the garlic I have (from the gift table--probably contributed by coleup)
apart. It is on my agenda asap.
In your last picture--that is a hardneck---right? From the store--right? Nice big cloves.

In my goody bag are:
--Grey Shallots--3-4 slim bilbs
--Oregon Blue softneck--one head
--Half a head of Elephant garlic.

Will be fun to see what comes of it all next year. About WHEN would harvesting happen?
How will I know I can dig them up?

Gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9339310

been thinking...(dangerous!)---

Is the Oregon Blue softneck the garlic we all buy in the stores?
It looked like it when I was pulling apart the cloves...

Just asking...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9339331

Gita-
The biggest cloves come from the outer parts of the bulbs. If you even plant only the four biggest cloves, then you should get maybe eight or twelve good sized cloves off next year's four bulbs. I planted almost all of these cloves but yes many were quite small. We'll see what I get, and try to save all the biggest cloves from the harvest and then the year AFTER hope for plenty of big ones.
My pic number two is a softneck grown in Mexico. It looks so yellow I am thinking it is a different variety.

Pic 3 is the elephant.

Somewhere I read that the great majority of grocery store garlic is 'China White', but don't quote me on that. It's nearly pure white.

At times I've bought garlic in the store , with purple streaks in the clove skins.

Sometime over winter or early spring they will grow leaves. About May the leaves may fall over at the base and start yellowing. That's when you look to harvest them. I'm pretty sure you could harvest by mid June at the latest and be sure of having the garden space for bush beans, cukes, or yellow squash.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9339492

Sally--
Thank you for all the info--it will make me more relaxed...?????????????????

Now--How about the Shallots??? I have 3 really good-sized bulbs--but also about
4-5 much smaller, slimmer bulbs. Should I plant those individually, or a couple to the same hole?

Have you grown Shallots???? It would be great if they produced well. Shallots are so expensive!

Hopefully, tomorrow, i will get to plant these. May just "kill" myself with some of the remaining
Yarden work tomorrow. Thinking--It is NOW--or never. I hear more frost is coming after the weekend.

I wish you a happy Thanksgiving Feast! Gobble everything in sight! Yo all are slim as a beanpole--
Just go for it! An extra couple of pounds will look great on any of you!
NOT on me!!!!

Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9339522

Plant shallots each in their own hole too. They all want to enjoy room for the roots and plenty of water- no competition limiting them.
I WILL eat a lot tomorrow after I get done cooking it all!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

November 22, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #9339998

Isn't it amazing how long the prep and cooking time and how quickly it disappears?!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9340065

YEAH! Planted all my Garlic cloves today. Scratch that off my list!

Did other stuff s well--wore my back out digging up my raised bed.
I was being careful--NOT turning over the shovel-fulls. just digging straight in to cut up
some of the fine tree roots that have invaded this bed.
Well! it became a bigger job than planned--as usual.

Did not want to actually turn over the soil just now--but just cut up the roots--but after about half
the bed, it became imperative that I hand sift through each shovel-full to remove all these roots.
I am SOOOO upset--that the tree roots have invaded this bed. It has now become a "lost cause"
to what I had intended this bed to be.
It was obvious that there were serious breaches in my commercial, double layer of weed-block.
So--a new "YUK" bed is in its infancy!

Here are the pulled up roots I just threw out behind me as I was digging...
And--a closer pic of them--these are so tenacious...they go everywhere--and then become bigger roots.
It is impossible to keep up with this...

--Pulled up roots on lawn next to the bed...
--Closer look at these "feeder roots"...

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal         

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 22, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9340076

Happy Thanksgiving garlic lovers! Hope you incorporated some garlic into your day. I put some cloves under the skin of my turkey this year. Unfortunately I then fell asleep (up all night delivering papers stuffed with black friday ads1) so my turkey was a little dry BUT, the garlic was excellent! teehee.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 22, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9340136

I have my first green sprout today!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9340208

coleup--

I thought of you tonight as i was looking through all the ads in my 2 huge bundles of newspaper.
WHY? Because I was tossing them all. Many of them were just for today (Thursday)
and the rest were for tomorrow. Not going shopping this weekend...

I am in a stage of life where I do not need anything...so why shop?
It is more of a want--than a need...
Gita
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 22, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9340230

lol Gita, I feel after delivering all my "ads held together by news" that I've done my part to stimulate the economy for another year! And, its not too bad to deliver a paper where the entire front page is 'good news' unlike most of the rest of the year when 'violence sells'.

Glad to hear of garlic planted and garlic growing. Let's get our garlic on!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 22, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9340243

The front page of the Frederick Post had sort-of violent headlines about traffic, especially during Black Friday sales. "It's all the (road) rage" I don't think I'm braving the crowds, at least not for doorbuster deals. I thought of you, too, Coleup... it was a BIG paper! We no longer get a daily printed paper, but I'm sure today's issue was 3 times the size of the local Sunday paper.

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 22, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9340280

lol, nice to be thought of! So, we can do big jobs one piece at a time!

Bargains are my thing, but even if there were rare garlic bulbs "on special", I don't think I'd be shopping tonight or tomorrow. I need more of a reason to buy than the need of this economy to keep me shopping...like being able to share my finds with others who will appreciate them...like my initial investment in garlic bulbs now growing among friends!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 23, 2012
11:21 AM

Post #9340565

I hit my local Walmart (1 mile away) at about 11pm - wasnt as bad as a Sat. During the height of spring. Finally planted my garlic today. My poor yard WILL get some attention this weekend!! Hope you all are having a relaxing day.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 10, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9354695

Lots of sprouts...who else? Although my big ones that I grew last year came first, the smaller ones we bought from Garlic Man are showing some.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 10, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9355013

Errrrr I hope to get mine in this week. :/

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 10, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9355046

Mine are in--almost a couple weeks now...
Added a few Shallots from the store. Will these grow????

Will it be normal if they sprout at this time, sally? If they do--will the sprouts die off?

Need a dry day--and a dry lawn--so I can mow it for the last time...Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 10, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9355105

The sprouts will be fine, Gita, might get a bit windburned on the tips, as I remember from my first crop. but they are supposed to sprout now.
Well Terp, better late than lat-ER. What's three weeks- I bet they'll be just fine.
Turn that :/ to a : ^)
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 10, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9355115

Lol
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 11, 2012
9:34 PM

Post #9356088

We got ours in during the recent warm spell (70 degrees in December; surreal). I'll have to look in that bed tomorrow and see if there are sprouts. Silly tulips out front have leaves 3-4 inches above ground... maybe they also know what they're doing? LOL
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9361276

Finally got mine in this morning. It'll be interesting to see how they turn out.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9361280

Good job!
I think I have at least some kind of green from almost every cloves, so far. The biggest cloves have the most green, so I can see where the size of clove benefits. Those are already making energy.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9361296

Terp- must see
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1291433/
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9361573

I still haven't planted mine -- oh hear -- but I've planted most of my awful big front hill, so I don't feel too guilty!
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #9361582

Well that is quite an accomplishment in itself. You must have taken advantage of this warm weather! That's great.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9361592

Tomorrow--near 60*--I think...Cold tonight, though...
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9362212

Terp -- You saw that awful hill -- yes, it was quite an accomplishment -- except I don't know what percentage of the plants will re-appear in the spring! Some were awfully tiny, darn-near microscopic. And some looked pretty dead when I planted them (a lot of these were Santa Rosa plants that I ordered in the summer and looked fairly burned-up by the time I planted them). If it is a rough winter... And I don't even want to think about the weeds that will overshadow the perennials!

We've been working on it since early October. The area we are planting is almost 100 feet long, and varies from about 30 feet to 15 feet deep. Very very steep and rocky. My neighbors think we are lunatics. One neighbor (someone I didn't know) said, and I quote: "The neighbors are watching you." She said it in a friendly voice, but ...
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 19, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9362557

Hah! I bet they're watching... and the neighborhood husbands are anticipating demands on their own time next spring, when your hill starts coming out all purdy and their curbsides look shabby by comparison.

We transformed the front yard of the townhouse soon after Jim & I got married... and by the following year, pretty much every townhouse in the court had spiffy new landscaping! I figure that's the mark of a job well done, sincerest form of flattery and all that.

I keep meaning to check that side bed for sprouts... it's dark again of course. I will be so happy when the days start lengthening again!
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 20, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9362848

Critter-- I know what you mean about those short days. It drives me crazy when it is dark at 5!

I don't think we'll spur any neighbors on -- ours was definitely the worst front yard, but excusable because the hill was so steep. Right now the front hill looks weird because it is criss-crossed with green tape so I could do some semblance of organization. I do have a ton of bulbs on the other side of the front yard which made up for it a bit.

What I'm really worried about s that we've set ourselves up for failure. Try though I did to get plants that will be tough and long-lived, I'm worried that I'm going to have to take on fighting weeds, which I REALLY don't want to do in the front. I'd rather get our back yard, where we spend much more time, into better shape. Working on that front hill is really hard on the feet. Plus when it gets hot, it is really unpleasant to be perched there.

I also think I planted too many tall grasses, so I may have to yank some plants ... but that will help the next swap! I have tall grasses all along the brow of the hill -- different ones, but the overall effect may be too uniform.

We are really curious to see what it looks like in the spring... I know some plants won't make it, but I don't know which yet! Plus, since the plants are so small, how it looks in years 2 and 3 ...

I still have probably 20 platycodon yet to plant that looked green on arrival from Santa Rosa but yellowed fairly soon thereafter. I am clueless as to whether they will re-appear next year. I keep shoving them aside because I know they are slow to break dormancy in the spring, and since they might be dead I don't want to sacrifice a lot of garden space to them.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 20, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9362903

Happy, can you up-pot up the Platycodon over the winter in gallon pots? They like to grow long tap roots... I have a few still in pots that should have gone into the ground this fall also. They do go dormant earlier than most, I think.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 20, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9362930

Happy, you have Garlic Man's and my full permission to EAT your garlic instead of planting it!

Or, throw those cloves into any container with potting soil and stick tthe pots in a pile of leaves for a little winter protection...

Or, (and this would work for those platycondons. too) Get a big bag of potting soil, slit it lengthwise on top, after punching numeous holes with a screwdriver (tension release!) on the bottom, and plant them in it. Easy enough to move plants or cloves that make it to another location come Spring, or just let them grow on.
Used to be called "heeling in" or providing a temporary home until a permanent one is found or prepared.

In reading thru some of the links I saved at the start of this thread, I have found a site or two that offer garlic "starts" in the Spring of a number of varieties. These will not produce as large a bulb as those planted in the Fall, I'm thinking if there is interest, that we could group share some of these "starts" at seed swap time.

I am particularly interested in a wild garlic (mini Cherokee?) that is excellent interplanted where deer and rodents are a problem as a deterant. There is also another wild garlic that thrives in wet or streamside locations...Both are edible and medicinal and, yes, they flower!

Any interest in "starts" or wild garlic for naturalizing?
http://www.brokenearth.org/wildgarlic/index.htm#Wild_Garlic_Starters
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 20, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9362983

I think I'll just plant those Platycodons and see if they will make it. I'm worried that their tap roots were damaged, and I don't want to cause more trouble by multiple transplants...

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 20, 2012
12:12 PM

Post #9363165

Hmmmm----
Could i dig up my old Plastycodons that seem to not do much any more and pot them up in a pot for the winter?

I have two--blue and white. If I get 4 or 5 blooms from the blue--that's it! I should dig them up and get rid of them.
They "live" among old iris roots--which may explain the problem. They are OLD...OLD...So are the iris.
Digging everything up and amending the bed and then re-planting everything would be great----but a lot of work.
Who has the time to do all that?
I haven't seen the white one in ages. I think it is dead. G.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 20, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9363558

Gita, you probably don't need to go to that much trouble for the irises, and the balloon flowers / platycodons would probably do fine also in the soil that's there, if they just had a little more room. If you're feeling like having a go at them some day when the ground is just that right amount of moist, just pry up whatever iris rhizomes you can from around the balloon flowers, toss out all those old roots, and shove a few good looking iris rhizomes back in. Irises should reward you with more blooms also!

oooohh, that's right, I was supposed to mulch the garlic with leaves, wasn't I? Well, it hasn't been all that cold yet, especially in that bed (which is against the south-facing foundation).

Joyanna did have a good time planting them with me. Thanks for letting us join the fun even when we couldn't make it to the swap!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9363709

Jill--

I was more thinking about digging up the Platycodons. But--I know the iris may have to be dug up first.
Yes! Irises are easy to dig and re-pant. Maybe it should have been done earlier in the fall.
Not sure spring is a good time...

The irises are crowded. I already dug up several and potted them in pots and gave them away
as Christmas presents.
I had some I dug up from my Aunt and Uncle's yard after they both had died (1993)
and the house was about to be sold. My uncle was quite the organic gardener.
He had these beautiful, deep purple iris. I wanted to preserve them in my garden.

This past weekend I went to our "Cousin's Christmas get-together" in VA.
I took 4 pots of these irises to now pass on to his Son and Grandchildren. Even to one Great-Granddaughter.
I promised her i would--as I could not go to her HS Graduation. It will be a nice "carry over'...

Same as I dug out some other Iris from my neighbor's yard--as the house sat empty for 2 years before my
Pakistani neighbors moved in and cut down every shrub and dug up everything growing in the ground
and got rid of it. Glad I took some while i could.

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9363749

Do you think irises would survive on my awful front hill? I don't plant to do (much) supplemental watering, and we have a hefty deer and squirrel population. Mostly full sun.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9363820

happy- I think irises would do great!
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9363836

Excellent - thanks!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9363843

happy!!- I can share irises next year. My "Lucy' iris is medium height and looks good a long time and i Have plenty.- see journal for pic I think.
Escuse us you Garlic Lovers, we have to have something to talk about while we wait...

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9363980

happy--

I will also have some starts of this Purple iris i was talking about. may have some others as well.

I have about 3 kinds...nothing spectacular.

Will see what's what when the time for the swap comes around. Gita
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9364089

Thank you both -- that'd be wonderful! I'll need to fill in for all the perennials I have planted that die (sigh).

I am so mad -- on my awful front hill I tried to plant only plants that deer don't like, because there is a huge deer population in my neighborhood. I know it is hard to pin down their tastes. But the deer have been pulling out my newly planted plants, and then spitting them out (very rude). And to make matters worse, they don't spit them out right next to where I had planted them, so it is a guessing game for me to get the rejected plants re-planted in the spot where I had intended them to flourish!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9364183

Arrrggghhh!!!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9364241

Oh, BAD deer!!!
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9364332

Think it would help if I put up a sign?
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9364491

Definitely!! Heehee
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2012
6:43 AM

Post #9364535

Plus now I have Santa and all those darn reindeer to worry about. I hope they get a lot of cookies from other houses so they don't destroy my awful front hill.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9364544

hahaha!
Reindeer mind their manners I am sure!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9364649

Of course they do!!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2013
1:38 PM

Post #9375455

sprouts about zero to six plus? inches, here are the biggest.

Thumbnail by sallyg

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2013
1:48 PM

Post #9375469

You know, I still haven't planted my garlic -- I was too busy with my awful front hill. I was going to plant my garlic in containers, and that is what stymied me -- I had planned to make a really good soil-less mix. But now I'm thinking I'll plant them in my awful front hill instead. There is plenty of sun, and the hill needs to be held up until the perennials and ornamental grasses fill in. I haven't checked the garlic in a while -- if it hasn't dried up, that is what I'm going to do. So I'll be able to let you know whether January is too late -- I'll learn the hard way!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2013
1:50 PM

Post #9375480

SOunds like a plan!

THe garlic I grew last year is still fresh, keeping well.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2013
1:57 PM

Post #9375497

Sally, is the garlic you grew last year still in the ground? Or did you harvest it? How are you keeping it?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2013
4:27 PM

Post #9375644

Sally--

Anything will grow in that rich, horse manure soil you have. It is so ideal--what with all the aeration
provided by all your Moles...I, for one, am jealous of your poop.
Get Thee to the "Poetry on the Pile" Thread and dribble some of that poo for all of us to enjoy!

About 4-8 lines deep will do. G.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2013
6:00 PM

Post #9375739

We were puttering around out back yesterday, and I noted that there's no sign of the garlic cloves we planted the first week in December. Is that a "fail" on them? Or is my weather just different enough here that they haven't had a chance to sprout? I didn't mark the exact location of the rows, so digging around to try to find the cloves isn't likely to give me a definite answer.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2013

Post #9375788

happy_macomb wrote:You know, I still haven't planted my garlic -- I was too busy with my awful front hill. I was going to plant my garlic in containers, and that is what stymied me -- I had planned to make a really good soil-less mix. But now I'm thinking I'll plant them in my awful front hill instead. There is plenty of sun, and the hill needs to be held up until the perennials and ornamental grasses fill in. I haven't checked the garlic in a while -- if it hasn't dried up, that is what I'm going to do. So I'll be able to let you know whether January is too late -- I'll learn the hard way!

Lol Happy this afternoon while I was considering your hill/street blues, the thought that you were planting your garlic there crossed my mind. Hey, go for it!

Jill, I planted my garlic much later than Sally and had four or five sprouts that now wil the cold weather have dissappeared again. I also think some animal has tried digging a few...as the soil looked disturbed in several of the large storage tubs I planted mine in.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2013
7:14 PM

Post #9375810

Judy---
Soil disturbed? Squirrels probably burying nuts or acorns in your tubs...
Just give them any container with loose enough soil--and they will dig there.

Jill--
I planted my Garlic after Th.-Giving. As of today--there are no shoots showing. I think that is good??
Otherwise--the shoots would die back. Right? it is my 1st go with garlic.
Also--I planted mine at least 4" deep. That might explain the no-show.
I am willing to wait for them to sprout when it is time for them to sprout. NOT now!
They are in the small bed on the East side of my shed--for those of you that have been here.
Right behind my SEM--ahem--composter--next to my small Strawberry patch.

I will have a lot of Shallots--IF they all are productive. Hope...Hope...Had some in my goody bag--
but i also bought a few at the grocery store and planted those.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2013
8:23 PM

Post #9375864

Those late planted cloves are just working underground. Have no fear.and frost will not kill the greens. Fairly cold hardy.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 5, 2013
9:26 AM

Post #9376133

Can I buy shallots at Whole Foods and plant them?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2013
9:30 AM

Post #9376137

Not sure about that. I tried and did not get much. Must check out time of year growing, and a lot of the oniony things have that day length complication.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2013
9:58 AM

Post #9376155

coleup wrote:There is a wild garlic (mini Cherokee?) that is excellent interplanted where deer and rodents are a problem as a deterent. There is also another wild garlic that thrives in wet or stream side locations...Both are edible and medicinal and, yes, they flower!

Any interest in "starts" or wild garlic for naturalizing?
http://www.brokenearth.org/wildgarlic/index.htm#Wild_Garlic_Starters[/quote]

Happy, don't know if you saw this.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 5, 2013
10:54 AM

Post #9376197

Thanks for the reassurance. It's not like I'm going to plow up that bed and plant anything else there before spring, so I can be patient!
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 5, 2013
11:39 AM

Post #9376228

Thanks coleup. I don't need to deter deer -- I'm reconciled to planting stuff they don't like. And I'm a little worried about naturalizing anything on the front hill, if that means it's a plant that will take over. So I don't think that is for me, but thanks for bringing it to my attention!
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2013

Post #9388118

I got about half my garlic plants in nice beds outside a few weeks ago. But I still have some to be planted, and now the ground is supposed to freeze tonight and I'm going out of town tomorrow. Can I plant them in a shallow container and transplant them later???
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
9:59 AM

Post #9388182

off top of my head, the primary goal is to prevent freezing of cloves at this point and then they will grow as temps warm up, So, if your shallow containers will keep the garlic from freezing until you can transplant, ok. Otherwise keep them stored as they are, plant as soon as possible or eat them if they are even a little 'soft' or starting to sprout. hth Judy
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2013
10:21 AM

Post #9388204

So maybe I should pot them up but keep them inside? Obviously the ones I planted in the ground will ultimately freeze if the temps dip...

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2013
7:13 PM

Post #9388711

Need to finish 'catching up' on this thread. Mine were planted - I think around Thanksgiving in a huge pot. I still have green shoots on two - probably 3" each. We'll see what happens with the 'cold' that's finally upon us. All this wet concerns me though. I make sure to tip pot so reservoir gets emptied.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2013
4:29 PM

Post #9389582

here is a link to 6 ways to store garlic
http://www.rodale.com/how-store-garlic?page=0,0

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2013
4:37 PM

Post #9389594

Great link coleus!
Especially where it tells us DO NOT try to make our own minced garlic for the fridge, (commercial ones are acidified) and DO NOT put fresh cloves in oil for long term storage (botulism!).
I'm surprised that they say put it in the crisper drawer, but will stick with my guess that it should stay dry in there, not moist.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2013
4:41 PM

Post #9389601

I found it interesting, as well. We do NOT want botulism. Need to tell that to my niece. She makes flavored oil. Don't know if she kows this.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2013
9:37 AM

Post #9393651

That's very interesting. I used to make flavored vinegars just by sticking herbs in good vinegar. I didn't want to heat it because I thought it would damage the flavor of the herbs. i wonder if that poses a botulism risk too.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2013
1:13 PM

Post #9393863

I had some saved directions I just threw out about blanching the herbs.

see this

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/infusedmixes#b

This message was edited Jan 22, 2013 6:47 PM
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2013
3:43 PM

Post #9393998

Oh good -- vinegars pass muster.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2013
3:44 PM

Post #9409595

Garlic is fine, It seems that every clove now has something showing.

The grey shallots that I bought from Garlic Man are all now sprouted! I think I was suppose to wait until spring but I didn't check on that before sticking them in so ... whatever!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2013
3:50 PM

Post #9409604

Sally--
Mine are not showing anything yet. I may have planted them a bit deeper than i should...
It's Ok with me! They will sprout when it is time.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2013
3:53 PM

Post #9409609

Yup I bet they're perfectly fine. And kind of glad they don't have to shiver in this cold.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2013
4:40 PM

Post #9435855

Sprouts!!! Joyanna and I checked yet again a couple days ago, and we have half-inch green garlic sprouts, more or less where we planted them, although our row was not terribly straight.

Wait... Sally... I have shallots that I bought thinking I'd eat some & plant some, and the planting didn't happen... is spring actually the time to plant shallots? Assuming they're not "dead" inside from being stored in the fridge with apples and ripening pears?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2013
5:41 PM

Post #9435914

Yay! more garlic!
Jill I think spring is shallot planting time, I think I checked on that a few weeks ago. So check on them and plan to plant some if you are not going to eat them, or if they have sprouted.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2013
5:57 PM

Post #9435940

Sally---

I planted the Shallots i got at the Swap same time with all the rest of the garlic! Beg. of December--I think.
Are they gonners? I even bought some more Shallots at Richardson Farms
and planted those as well.
The only shoots I have seen so far are from Elephant garlic. Haven't checked in the last few days.

It must be confusing for the plants to have warmish days and below freezing at night.
Us too! G.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2013
8:43 PM

Post #9436113

I planted my Garlic ManShallots in the fall also. They all sprang up at once a couple weeks ago (see note above) so yours should be OK.
THE Elephant garlic took longer than the regular garlic, and just now each EG has a short stout nub.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2013
9:15 PM

Post #9436137

I found a couple of articles by Darius on shallots... one mentioned planting in fall (with garlic); the other mentioned several varieties of shallots with a note by a couple of them to plant in early spring when weather had settled. SO don't go digging up any fall-planted bulbs to rescue them for the soup pot! Odds are, they'll be just fine... and it sounds like any I plant in spring will be fine also. I might try letting some sprout before planting, just to see if they're viable.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2013
7:32 AM

Post #9436365

Here's a link to the article with a great description on how to plant shallots (second part of the article). I'd say don't worry if you planted your shallots deeper than recommended (with the very tip up above the surface), but if you mulched on top of that maybe rake off the mulch.

As my mom is always telling me - remember, that seed/bulb/plant wants to grow! And grow they do, more often than not, no matter how many "mistakes" are made in their culture. Sometimes the "ideal" method turns out not to be the right one for your conditions, anyway!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2013
9:51 AM

Post #9436460

Sally, my elephants were the last to emerge, too, although I did plant them deeper than the others.

Critter, I used to tell people what your Mom said, about bedding begoniaes, "They just want to grow and they'll keep blooming and growing no matter what. Just don't step on them more than twice a week and they will be happy."
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 7, 2013
4:46 AM

Post #9441577

I haven't been following this thread and you may have already talked about this. I saw the cutest thing at the flower show last week. They are plates made with grater bottoms. The bottom of the plate has little spikes in the pottery and they were grating garlic, nutmeg and a few other things. I thought they were pretty neat. Came in beautiful colors and sizes. A bit pricey but I really liked them. I didn't get a picture of them but here they are in this Utube video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXMbLZH76IE

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2013
11:11 AM

Post #9499926

Looking good here. I just fertilized and watered it in.. The biggest are thumb size diameter stalks.

Elephant garlic has wider leaves but is not that much bigger overall. Shallots look grassy.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2013
9:01 AM

Post #9501152

Sally, my elephant garlic is up 2' and is at least double in size of other garlic. See pic below. Shallots are now between chives and green onions in size.

Word from Garlic Man: Feed and Weed and watch them grow,

He has 20 100 ft rows of 14 different varieties planted this year...seems he got 'inspired' to try some new ones. Hopefully, we all will, too.

Any other reports from the field?

Feeding and weeding here,,,Judy/coleup

Thumbnail by coleup

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2013
9:07 AM

Post #9501158

2 feet? Wow, I think you're blowing me away there!
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2013
9:25 AM

Post #9501174

What are we feeding them?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2013
9:28 AM

Post #9501175

What do you feed yours? Any of the usual liquid feeds or something granular?

1--Mine are all up too--and the Elephant Garlic is the fattest...back of row,,,
The bigger clump on the right is my Green Chives--it has been there forever...

2--My small Strawberry bed--just to the left of the garlic bed.

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal         

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2013
9:29 AM

Post #9501177

Paul--we shadowed each other...(cross-posted) as usual...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2013
6:49 PM

Post #9501876

Mine are planted in a bed pretty enriched with leaves.My concern was too much carbon might be sucking up nitrogen. I see some yellowing lower leaves so I gave mine a good sprinkle of 5-1-5 organic food I bought on sale at a local nursery. You want good leaf growth so it can make the bulb.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2013
9:18 PM

Post #9502084

I used osmacote on mine first thing this Spring (timed release) and may try some compost or manure tea
weakly weekly a la Doc. Will also mulch with all those thingies that drop from my oak trees in another couple weeks.

Discussion on garlic fertilizing: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/allium/msg0315105624238.html

One pound of garlic well grown will yield 4 - 8 pounds.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2013
4:54 AM

Post #9502297

I meant to say- let Judy tell us cuz she has the big garlic...
Maybe using the containers let them speed up; some extra warmth? Mine are in a raised bed but only six inches raised?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2013
5:32 AM

Post #9502338

If garlic needs so much Nitrogen--how about a hand-full of lawn food sprinkled all over?
That would be very high in N.

I read the link, Judy. Not many of us have Horse manure available????
Best i could do is buy a couple bags of that "Humus and Manure" at HD.
You can smell the manure when you open that bag!

Hey! maybe that 'soil" could be used to make Compost Tea????
I have a zillion knee high nylons rotting away. Fill and soak in a 5gal bucket as suggested
in the link...

What do you all think? I better get with it--I have not fertilized my garlic with anything...
I am sure I dug in some of my compost, though, before planting.
G.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2013
6:46 AM

Post #9502458

Go with a handful of lawn fert since you have it.

The new wisdom on compost tea is NOT to soak it for days.

My garlic has a leaf disease- I think Downy mildew. Ends of some leaves turning purple and tan.

http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/factsheets/garlicdiseases.pdf

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2013
7:19 AM

Post #9502501

Is that the same as what the Impatiens has?
Can they cross-infect?

Bummer! Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2013
7:54 AM

Post #9502557

i don't know.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2013
6:48 PM

Post #9503384

My garlic looks very healthy and is about twice as big as a week or two ago! Glad to know it wants to be fed... I have some granular 10-10-10 that I can throw at it. Don't forget to feed your spring-blooming bulbs also as their blooms come to an end... that extra boost will help their leaves feed the bulbs for next year!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2013
7:33 PM

Post #9503466

Jill--for the bulbs? same thing--10-10-10-?

Or--Bulb Tone? I have that. I do not have any 10-10-10. Should get some.
Seems to be recommended for many things...

As I have said before--I seldom fertilize anything. i DO do Roses. And--occasionally MG liquid.
My fault! Things would be more "lush" if i did. At least a lot more robust.

I get SO tired doing all the watering and weeding and mowing----fertilizing gets pushed to the side.

Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2013
6:29 AM

Post #9503883

I tend not to fertilize either, same reason I think. Plus, I just irrationally feel like if I do everything else, that they 'should' have enough.
I fed my bulbs earlier, using blue water the stuff as soon as the leaves appeared, a few times.

I did not go back and check any specifics , but I did a Bulb Aftercare article one spring-
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2399/
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2013
10:22 AM

Post #9504178

Minnesota Garlic Crop Wiped Out--August 2012
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cornucop/msg0813043821394.html

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2013
11:07 AM

Post #9504235

sigh.
there goes my high from last yer, feeling like I'd found a problem free crop.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2013
3:04 PM

Post #9504487

Me. too. Along with hosta . coleus, roses, impatiens, basil tomatoes, potatoe bees and butterfliessand elms and oaks and ash, our forests, bananas...

Interesting how each grower thought it was their own fault, or the weir weather until they came together and began to compare notes
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2013
3:26 PM

Post #9504514

Bleek/ Bert from Touch of Nature says to fertilize bulbs 3 times -- in fall, at planting time, in spring as soon as they start growing and getting buds, and again right after flowering. Bulbtone would be good... seems to me a high phosphate fertilizer would be especially useful in fall, for root growth over winter... but you can just throw some granular 10-10-10 around, I think.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2013
5:29 PM

Post #9504637

I have some OLD...OLD fertilizer I got in the late 80's. it iss called "Electra"---and it was used, exclusively,
by the very famous, large Florist here that I worked one spring season at.

I sprinkled some of that all over my garlic. Who knows--it may be nothing but dust by now...
Just in case it still works--NPK ratio--5-10-3. It says in the below link it is no longer made...

http://thegardenconsultantri.blogspot.com/2008/10/mourning-death-of-electrai-think-i-can.html

Gita
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2013
6:09 PM

Post #9504693

This from Burpee on garlic fertilization

SOIL PREPARATION:
Garlic should be planted in a fertile, well-drained soil. A raised bed works very well. Remove stones from the top 6 inches of soil. Work several inches of compost or well-rotted manure into the bed, along with 10-10-10 fertilizer.
SPRING CARE:
When the leaves begin to grow, it is important to feed the garlic plants to encourage good growth. A teaspoon or two of a high-nitrogen fertilizer that decomposes slowly, such as blood meal or Osmocote should be gently worked into the soil near each plant. If the mulch has decomposed, add a layer to help retain moisture and keep weeds under control. In late spring some garlic varieties produce flower stalks that have small bulbils. Cut these stalks off. This will insure that all of the food the plant produces will go into the garlic bulb itself and not the clusters of bulbils. In the month of June the garlic plants stop producing new leaves and begin to form bulbs. At this time you will remove any remaining mulch and stop watering. The garlic will store better if you allow the soil around the bulbs to dry out.

The more top growth garlic puts on once growth starts in early Spring the more energy the plant will have to 'store' in the new head forming in the ground. This is why garlic is fed in early Spring.

This message was edited May 1, 2013 8:28 PM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2013
7:57 PM

Post #9504840

Thanks, Coleup!

Sounds like we might be a little late with the fertilizer, then... but better late that not at all, I'm sure.

I didn't realize the soil around them needed to dry out. LOL, I figured the opposite and planted them right along the soaker hoses! I'll shift those, and they'll stay reasonably dry-ish, depending on the rain.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2013
11:57 PM

Post #9539081

Hello Garlic Lovers. I've started harvesting my garlic scapes this past week.

The Elephant garlic sent up flower stalks first and then Music. Harvested enough for a good stir fry aaddition fo Memorial Day meals!

Garlic Man has been cutting scapes for about two weeks now and offering small bunches of them for sale at the Farmers Market. along with what he calles garlic onions which are like green onions but really are first year garlic grown from bulbils.

According to him, once the scapes are up and cut the garlic is in to bulb completion time when it forms the wrappers that protect the cloves and make them store-able for the long term. Kinda like each aboveground leaf represents one wrapper. When four or so of the bottom leaves turn brown it is time to harvest. He estimates 2 - 6 weeks post scape cutting to harvest, of course depending on weather. Garlic needs to have green leaves to cure properly, unlike onions that you just let die back before harvest.

Since I am growing all of my garlic in containers, in 'potting soil' I have carefully dug down around several plants to get an idea of bulb size. Elephant is about double what I planted and others are approaching golf ball size. With warmer weather here this week I am hoping bulbs size will increase. I hope harvest time gives me bulbs the size of the ones we got from Garlic Man and used for seed!

How are you all doing?

I guess the shallots will need to have their tops fall over and dry before they are ready to harvest.

Judy

Pictured garlic 'Music' scapes Elephant Garlic flower stalk above tall bearded iris!

Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup         

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2013
4:43 AM

Post #9539157

thanks for the info.
I noticed scapes on my Elephant garlic last night, none on the others. I think the others necks are shrinking down a bit from their fattest diameter, maybe starting to dry up.
My challenge will be keeping the varieties separate after harvest. Minimum I want to keep the largest one or two each for replanting.

I thought it was nice of Mother Nature that the garlic I grew last year lasted (just barely) freshness wise until chives and spring onions were growing .

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2013
6:12 AM

Post #9539248

Judy--

I need a bit of 'educating" here...
--How do I know a "scape" from the regular leaves? Is it a skinny leaf shooting up?
--How far along do you allow the "scape" to grow before cutting it off?
--WHAT is so edible about the 'scape" ? You said you harvested them for a stir-fry?
--I have not fertilized this area at all...should I still do it? The only thing, from what
you mentioned, that i have is Osmacote. I do not have dried blood...need to get some...but...$$$$$

My Elephant garlic leaves are almost as big as yours, Sally. The other garlics look just like a ninch of Chives
The Shallots have fine leaves and all have the "falling over" look...

Well--it IS my first time...I tend to plant things and forget them...not doing anything special...
Sometimes, when i do these "experiments", it is not worth the space they take up.
I could, easily, use the space I gave this "experiment" for something else...
besides--I am not a heavy garlic user...as I do not cook all that often...Then I use garlic Powder
or granulated garlic. I DO use freshly chopped garlic when I make my Pickles, though.

Judy--I would appreciate you posting pictures of what to look for when it is time to harvest any and all that we planted..

Thanks, Gita

Just went outside to take these pictures

--My Elephant Garlic
--The Shallots mess (that is Dill among them)
--All the other garlic
--My whole garlic/shallot bed...
--My Pakistani neighbor's Grandkids--They came out to walk to the school bus..
The girl is in 4th grade...The little boy (ahem--the Devil) can't wait to go to school.
I pity the teacher...He is NOT used to being with other kids and is quite assertive and spoiled.

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2013
5:00 PM

Post #9541272

Just a couple quick responses. Just remember that I am as new at garlic growing as any of us. I'm basically doing what Garlic Man does and relaying it here.

Trickiest part of garlic growing is knowing when to harvest " the goal being largest bulbs that (like Sally and Nature achieved) will keep the longest.

Most say cutting the scapes (see pic below) where they join the stem before they form the second curl will produce larger bulbs than letting them go to flower. Plus the scapes are edible. Scapes have that little 'bump' somewhere along their length

Once scapes are formed the bulb and individual clove 'wrappers' start to form. If bulbs are harvested before wrappers are fully formed, that bulb won't keep as long. If harvested after wrappers are fully formed but left in ground too long, the bulb will begin to split apart into individual cloves. Again, shortening storage life.

Scapes are like green onion tops but garlicky.

Will see if Garlic Man has anything to add early tomorrow am.

Gita, too late to feed now. Yours still look like good growth.

Pic 1 singke scape first curl Pic 2 two scapes uncut note lighter colored bulge. No curl yet.

Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup         

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2013
7:50 PM

Post #9541438

thanks.
I broke the scapes off my Elephant garlic yesterday, no curl.

My other shows no sign of scapes. I seem to recall these softnecks are not expected to make scapes.

Last year I harvested in June- but I think we had more hot weather by then (now) also. They had started to look like they were drying up and some bent over. The individual cloves were hard to peel. I attribute that I guess to them being fresh, and maybe I had lifted them a bit early, not allowing the cloves to separate at all _??

Next is details about how it should cure. Maybe a new thread at that time..

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2013

Post #9545262

Just killing time before bed--and decided to check out ATP.

Lo and behold--a nicely illustrated (photos) advice on when and how to harvest garlic.
Very timely--no? Gita

http://allthingsplants.com/ideas/view/dave/1307/When-Is-the-Right-Time-To-Harvest-Garlic/

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2013
11:49 AM

Post #9550020

I have a scape on one of my Elephant garlics!!!!

How long should i wait before I cur it? It is just beginning to have a slight turn...

G.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2013
2:52 PM

Post #9550238

Gita, the scape on the elephant garlic will just grow straight up without curling, so you can cut it now.

If you don't cut the scape, there will be a flower like chives or, in the case of elephant garlic a giant allium! I'm letting one of mine bloom.

Nice article by Dave on garlic harvest!

Wonder what all this rain will do to picking that ideal harvest time??

Sally, I'll start a new 'harvest and cure' thread after I talk with Garlic Man at Farmers Market tomorrow am

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2013
6:17 PM

Post #9550442

Is that OUR Dave???? I did not make the connection...
Boy! he has matured--no more skinny face! Still--good looking...Better, actually...

You know what I learned from him, that we had never discussed here--is that--
for every lower leaf that yellows--it is making another layer of that papery stuff on the head.

Did you know that--Judy?
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2013
8:52 AM

Post #9553471

Lets move over to Part #2

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1317821/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America