Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins: CLOSED: Fall Back and Enjoy the Fruits of Your Labors - CHAT

Communities > Forums > Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins
bookmark
Forum: Group Trades, Swaps and Round RobinsReplies: 211, Views: 1,239
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9262691

This gal greeted shoppers coming in a local grocery store last week. Too cute with her pumpkin head decorated with mostly daisies, statice, and fake sprays. Her arms were made with cinnamon scented brooms. Looked and smelled like Fall in the lobby.

Tell us about your Summer adventures. What grew well? What would you not care to grow again? What would you like to replace? What would you like to have that's new to you?

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Click an image for an enlarged view.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9262699

Great to see you again, Ang. If that Canna has red blooms, it's Indica, and is prolific producing seeds and rhizomes. Wonder why it hasn't bloomed yet? Wasn't that 2 years ago I send a box of mixed ones?

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9262722

Big news - my boyfriend proposed this afternoon at his family's BBQ. We, the family, were talking about marriage and he spontaneously decided to proprose. His mom got the ring and he got down on one knee. Up until they got the ring I thought he was joking, mostly because they had teased me a bit earlier, and of course I said yes.

Yes FOTV it was a mix of salmon, a dwarf, indica and a couple others. I only have a couple rhizomes of the indica and the dwarf. I had given a couple away but many had walked off, aka disappeared do to thieves.
I didn't bloom last year because of the location. The wind damaged it greatly so I planted them elsewhere and there they are thriving.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9262727

Congrats, Ang! What exciting news for both your families. I'm wishing you all the happiness in the World! You and your son deserve it :)

Pic is Canna 'Yellow King Humbert'

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9262769

Oooh pretty!! If you ever need homes for Cannas let me know lol. I have two more big pots to fill.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9262789

This is a picture of the plant from a couple days ago. :D

Thumbnail by tikipod

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 2, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9262806

Oh Ang! That is so exciting. Congratulations!

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9262819

Looking good and spied a bud too! I started over with Cannas this year and will let you know which extra ones are ready when it's time to dig. This one was supposed to be C. Tropicana, obviously isn't, but did have pretty 'lipstick' Pink blooms. Strange that other rhizomes in the same bag actually were Tropicana. That bed got so weedy in July when it was beyond HOT here but is pretty clean now. Most of those days I just stayed inside under the A/C and missed taking pics of others that bloomed. A few still haven't.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9262883

What's left after summer? I'll let you know in about a month. Ha! We're supposed to be 100 for the foreseeable future.

This year, things are so much healthier. Excited about my crinums, my glads, and the natives that are all doing well. I want to get more of the manfredas and plant them around in front of the house. Also excited about my new orchids and epis setup and hoping it's a permanent thing!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 4, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9264481

Congrats Ang!!!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9265512

Congratulations Ang!

What grew well? Not much! This heat was so bad a gain this year, and the drought did not help at all! About the only blooms I got were a few morning glories, and a few roses! Supposed to be 104 all this week, if not hotter!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 5, 2012
9:59 PM

Post #9266591

How did I miss the news??!!! CONGRATS Ang!

Life sure is looking up! :D

Still too daggum hot. There's rumors of rain this weekend and cooler temps. Maybe I'll be able to get a few dozen bulbs in the ground.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 6, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9267184

Thank you everyone. I haven't been this happy since my son was born. He is absolutely fantastic, especially with my son, and has been my best friend for years.

Here is a picture of (from left to right) him, my son and my Dad.

In gardening news - not much has done well. Lost much of the outdoor plants but some has been doing quite well. The Cannas from FOTV have done excellent and has the Begonias, which I've never grown. Some Anise Hyssop is growing quiet well and Catnip, three containers, is doing great.

Thumbnail by tikipod

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9267336

Ang

I love that picture - you can tell there is real commeraderie between your fiance and your son. Your Dad looks like he is enjoying it too!

So happy for you.

Carolyn
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 6, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9267418

Carolyn, you should see them (my son and fiance) interact. It's already like Father and Son. My fiance is actually his Godfather so he's known him since he was a newborn. My Dad is loving the fact that we are together. I met my fiance in his Sunday school class and actually, I met them both there. (He adopted me.)

I'm going to look at wedding dresses with his Mom and Sister this weekend.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9267427

Ang

Everyone looks so happy. I have to believe that you are grinning from ear to ear as well. When you find a dress, will you post a picture? Wedding shopping can be fun.

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 6, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9267449

I sure will. I hope it will be fun because I'm a tomboy and dress shopping is a real PITA. I'm not going to bother shopping for shoes, that would be a nightmare in itself. Actually I'm so insanely picky about shoes that it'd be worse so I'm just going to wear Tardis blue Chuck Taylors.

Not sure when our wedding will be. He wants a Spring wedding and I want anything other than a hot summer or freezing winter wedding lol.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9267778

Ang, to you know a Roger or Theresa Tate, they live over on Pine road, just a few blocks from you. Their daughters name is Rebekah Morash.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9267874

Nope, I don't.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9267880

OK, just wondering, since you lived so close. It sure is beautiful where you all live!
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9268029

Here are a couple new things growing on. I have three new pothos (only two pictured), two spiders, a hibiscus, "Red" maranta, and Lotus seeds germinating.

Thumbnail by tikipod   Thumbnail by tikipod   Thumbnail by tikipod   Thumbnail by tikipod   

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 8, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9268848

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1277320/
Just a few more days to add your name to the list for the PJ night gown swap!
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 8, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9269136

I found a dress in under 20 minutes. It was the 2nd dress I tried on. It's on lay away :D
I can't post a picture of me trying it on. I would love to but unfortunately my son had helped with laundry and I couldn't locate my nude colored undergarments and um, you can tell in the picture lol. Brightly colored floral and rainbow could be seen quite clearly.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9269191

Such a happy bunch in the pic, Ang. It's obvious how much fun the guys are having, and have had for quite a while. Got a chuckle picturing you in a wedding gown wearing rainbow underwear. I have a friend notorious for wearing black undies under white clothes and always wants to know "Do you think anybody will notice?" lol

Off the top of my head, Columbines were pretty in the Spring and had a crazy one just bloom. Daylilies and Lilies did well but they're sort of a given. Cannas are still growing with a few yet to bloom. Agastache 'Golden Jubilee' did a little too well, been ripping up little seedlings and have seeds galore. A few Hostas were quite striking while others languished. Mums are just starting to flush as are the handful of Asters. Tender Annuals like the tuberous Begonias I rarely have luck with are still blooming. Coleus in part shade did better than usual, now getting leggy and just took cuttings of several in anticipation of our Fall Houseplants / Tropicals swap. We only have another week before sign-ups end and would love to see more of you join us: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1277639/

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 8, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9269251

Fortunately for my wedding I WILL have a pair of nude or 'cafe mocha' colored undergarments that I will keep with my dress to prevent laundry helpers on the big day.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 10, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9270793

Well FOTV, here it is! It bloomed. It's not the red I expected it to be lol

Thumbnail by tikipod

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 10, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9271193

Official wedding date set - April 27th 2013 :D I thought I'd share.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 12, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9273327

That seems so soon!!! I hope you're more ready than DH and I were for ours!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9274046

Ang,,, our anniversery is the 26 th,,,lol

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9274530

hello all, I have missed a lot I see, miss you all..
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 13, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9274565

[quote="careyana"]That seems so soon!!! I hope you're more ready than DH and I were for ours! [/quote]

I'll let you know the answer after the wedding.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 13, 2012
11:01 PM

Post #9274671

{{{{{{{DEBRA}}}}}}} Welcome back sweetie! We missed you! Hope things have calmed down for you.

Ang, Well, as long as you get the vows out, it's considered a success. :)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #9274759

Ang, are you planning a big wedding?
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9274918

Congratulations Ang! So excited for you and your son.
Ok you guys that have been married for so long, we need to post our keys to a good marriage for Ang...

Tough though summer in Missouri it is the worst drought in history and almost everything burned up. Funny thing my roses were so happy, got quite a few blooms in fact probably more than any other year...go figure.

Temps have dropped and fall rains have started, I think we have had at least one rain every 5 days starting on Labor day weekend.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9274953

Secrets to a good marriage, have trust in your partner, don't lie, be open about everything.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 14, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9275010

Don't go a day without hugging and saying 'I love you" and don't go to bed angry.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 14, 2012

Post #9275563

Don't expect perfection. You WILL argue. But as Paula said, don't go to bed angry.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #9275907

I married my best friend, we are still best friends and will always be best friends, as well as lovers for life. All the afore mentioned things are very very wise things to listen to as advice. I keep an attitude of gratitude that I am blessed by being joeswife.

Thumbnail by joeswife

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 15, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9275934

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it ^_^ I'm nervous and excited.

In unrelated news - I have an african violet. Not sure where to put it. I've never had one of these before.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9275940

on a sunny window sill, water only when dry, from the bottom, loves food at waterings.. I don't grow them, but my great aunt effie did, and now paula does..
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9276095

Deb - love that photo.

Ang - mine bloom pretty much non stop. I keep them in an Eastern window and water when they get dry. They were potted up in African Violet soil, but I don't fertilize either.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9276125

Also, don't get water on the leaves, and they will burn.

Debra, I love that picture too, with your hands on his behind!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9276241

My parents were married 5 months shy of their 50th Anniversary when we lost my Dad, and I missed being married on their Anniversary by one day, only because our Minister was busy that Sunday between her two Churches. My Mother and I were always close and these are some Pearls of Wisdom she passed on to Hubs and me.

Love, and be kind and true to each other. Never let the Sun go down on your anger. Be willing to bend like a Willow and learn the fine art of compromise. There are at least two sides to every argument. Respect each other and your opinions. Forgive mistakes and don't rehash the past. Maintain His, Hers, and Our bank accounts. Keep mad money tucked in your purse to spend as you like. Pay monthly bills and living expenses from the account dubbed Ours and transfer as much as possible to your joint savings account as often as you can. Watch your pennies and your dollars add up.

Wise words from a woman who grew up during the Great Depression. She had many more axioms but these were among the most pertinent for a happy marriage.

Since my MIL is confined to her home and mobility is an issue, her only houseplants now are a Pothos Vine and a really old Sansevieria. Days gone by, she used to grow the most amazing African Violets on several window sills that faced East and did nothing special I know of for them to bloom.

Edited for a stupid typo. I swear I can't spell anymore.

This message was edited Sep 15, 2012 8:58 PM
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 15, 2012
9:02 PM

Post #9276338

FOTV, I love how that is put. That is very wise. I will have to copy/paste these and share them with my soon to be hub. He's excited about getting married and he's the first guy I've seen get into planning the wedding. They started the week after he proposed.

We had a visitor this evening - Emma. She visits the pot of catnip I have out there. Tonight as my son and I pet her on the porch I noticed Keoni was sitting on a desk listening. I cracked the screen so they could get a peek at each other. She growled angrily and tried to get in. Keoni was just frozen, eyes wide, staring at her.

The pictures below are of Emma (aka the blob) and Keoni (aka jabba the cat.) Keoni is a fairly large cat but my vet says he's naturally large. He's probably larger than some of the males outside, even the unfixed/feral ones. You can't tell by the pictures but Emma's size rivals Keoni's.

Thumbnail by tikipod   Thumbnail by tikipod   Thumbnail by tikipod   Thumbnail by tikipod   

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 16, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9276448

Ang

I have a 'blob' too for a cat. She was so horribly malnourished when we first got her that all of her whiskers fell out. Now, she looks like a footstool!

Do you think Emma has Maine Coon in her? They tend to be larger cats.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2012
12:42 PM

Post #9276755

My words of advice to couples - pick your battles...before an argument or comment...stop think is this really important? if it really matters go for it but I bet 90% of the time it isn't. Just find a work around.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9277509

And just remember that is fine to disagree, but try to talk to each other like adults.

Love those kitties!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9278204

Neat kitties, Ang, and I got a charge out of imagining your now furry 'footstool', Carolyn. Do you have a picture of her?

How about some really Big Cats? These four performed at a County Fair hubs and I attended yesterday, along with a menagerie of miniature Horses and a cute Dog Show with mostly Jack Russell Terriers for the finale. Performing Cats were a Liger (the offspring of a male Lion and a female Tiger), a White Bengal Tiger, a Siberian Tiger, and a Royal Bengal Tiger (my fav). All animals were rescues trained by the reward method.

Thought about you, LK, when I saw these quilts that placed 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Look at all these old Ham sacks. I couldn't help but wonder how long the lady had been collecting them. Next is one made with hundreds of cinched fabrics that formed circles and were all sewn together in her patchwork. Individual ones reminded me of a bottle cap. Do you know the name of this technique? Not that I can sew, just curious and has to be tedious work. Next one is for you, Ang...Double Wedding Ring. There were several other quilts and it would have been nice to have seen them whole instead of just halves, but there was only one building about the size of a triple car garage that housed all the displays.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 17, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9278261

Pretty kitties but I'm glad I'm not feeding those.

Beautiful quilts. I love the Ham sack one.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9278340

Fruity, the 2nd quilt is called yo yo quilt. You take a large circle, gather the edges, and draw it tight to make the yo yo, then stitch them together. It is all hand done!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9278362

those quilts are awsome.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2012
9:38 PM

Post #9278449

I think the Ham sack quilt won the Blue Ribbon because it's so unique from others that were entered. There was a really cool quilt when you came in the door that was fully displayed and showed a Christmas Scene with several appliqued designs of Houses with smoke coming out of the chimneys, Reindeer and Holly on a white background to mimic snow and the colors were mainly Red, Green and White. That's a pitiful description but it really was well done in a foksy way without being tacky. Thanks for letting me know 2nd Place is yo yo quilt, LK. I can't imagine how much time and how many stitches went into making it!

We met the guy on the Midway who made this motorcycle Tri-Bike that was on display made out of recycled silverware, door knobs, nuts, bolts, washers, and what have you, that were welded together. Seeing the display on his tables of over 30 of his truly different bike creations was captivating to everyone who stopped by. He, and the couple next door with throwback Tie-Dyed shirts and jeans, were by far the most popular vendors.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 18, 2012
1:30 AM

Post #9278520

Sooze

Love the quilts - my sister won a quilt at one of the local fairs out Chicago way where she lives. It is beautiful.

I will have to take some pictures of our 'Little'. (of course we call her Little, and she does answer to that, even though her name is Melee).

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 18, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9278611

Love that bike Fruity, very interesting!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 18, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9278647

Oh Fruity... could you send me a pic of that bie to my regualr email? I want to show it to the guys at wor? Plz?
Hugs ya all..

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 18, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9278851

Fruity, that bike sculpture reminds me of the one that DH's great uncle made from motorcycle parts. He does A LOT of metal work and is extremely gifted.

Thumbnail by careyana   Thumbnail by careyana   Thumbnail by careyana      

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9280551

Very cool, Carey! It's amazing how much creativity lies in imaginations and parts and pieces laying around just waiting to come to life.

This guy was retired and mainly sharpens knives, saw blades, chainsaws, lawnmower blades, chisels...pretty much anything that has an edge. Another motorcycle he had on display used a coat hook as a kickstand. Clever idea we thought, and many of the seats of his creations were spring loaded. One he showed us was actually detachable. Why you'd want a removable seat though, I have no idea.

Also displayed by another craftsman was this amazing log cabin. There was an engraved brass tag on the front under the door and wish now I'd paid attention to the words. There are a LOT of old tobacco barns around here, along with books written about them and preservation efforts, and am thinking his replica must have been one on his family's property. There are sadly so many that have caved over time and are only a mere shadow of days gone by.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2012
8:51 PM

Post #9280690

oh gosh! such imagination and creativity. Love it!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 20, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9280908

Love that log cabin! Amazing how much we don't pay attention to history, till it is too late!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 20, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9280992

Fruity - I know on real modern motorcycles, you have to pull up the seat to get to the battery. Maybe that's what he was going for?

That cabin is fantastic. It is a shame how history gets destroyed in favor of 'progress' sometimes.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 21, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9282556

Oh I just have to share my excitement! We've been waiting for my son's communication device since November, when it was finally approved, and we just got it today. I'm very happy!! Now I have to purchase a case and a bag for it.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9282619

That is wonderful news, Ang. I am so happy for you. I bet he is going to be kactied too!

Leaving to go get Sherry tommorrow... stopping at the Kansas Native Plant round up on the way, finally get to meet everyone, only staying for an hour or so. It is going to be a great week here with Sherry finally home..
Who sent me the seeds to this? I LOVE IT.

Thumbnail by joeswife

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 21, 2012
9:32 PM

Post #9282714

Have fun at the Round Up ^_^
That plant is a beauty!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9282938

GEE I Just found this chat this morning wondered where all the chat was Hope i can join in now & again :)

ANG : Congrats on your up coming marriage

DEBRA: you started that from seeds ? this spring ?? if you get seeds I would like to try a few How tall dose it get ???
Love pink .

looks as rain is about to move in better go put a few plants in the ground back later today .
susie
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 22, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9283031

Hey Susie,
Haven't seen you around in a while. I could send you a plant if you would like, (summer poinsetta - above). There are some at my other house I think.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9283104

Suszie ! {{{{{{{{{hugs!}}}}}}} some one on here sent me those they are wild poinsettas.. our native ones have thing leaves, but this one has a hollly shaped leave. can't wait to see if they come back next year like our natives do.. I can send you some seeds.. the cannas you sent me have all come up, but no blooms this year on those, just the red ones so far.. the leaves on the poinsetta are really red, i don't know why they look pink..

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9283112

I would love to try them I Would have to bring them in for the winter here in z5 right ??? Deb i was going to say red for my camera makes reds look pink & Pinks look red Crazy, Guess i didn't know there was a perennial pointsetta ? have you one ? is it hardy for z5 ?

Paula yes it has been a while :) WHERE YOU BEEN ??? HEHE Are you Moved into your new home :)? cool here today rainy but clearing off. was cleaning seeds today & Now just sipping on a cup of Hot Cocoa, While checking out the forums :)

Here are a few of my BRUGS Still in FULL Bloom They seem to love the cooler weather. the one i'm holding is called KONG He is HUGE
the other pink ones i think are called Kay Harris, the last pink one is PINK PERFECTION I Think .
sure going to have a ton of cuttings this year for i put them all in the ground & They grew to 6ft tall + :)

well off to check the mail & get my dishes done back later .

Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9   

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 22, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9283374

Ang that is very exciting! Your son must be bouncing around. :)

Debra, I was going to say they look a lot like the native, but now that you mentioned the leaf, I see the difference. It sure is pretty!

Susie, you'll have to share your brug secrets with me. I can't get mine any taller than a couple of feet, and I still haven't gotten a bloom! Phooey.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9283866

carey I Have KONG & He is about 2ft tall & That is the 3rd picture his flower is as long as the plant I was shocked
& Now here is NAUGHTY NICK He is About 3ft tall & NOT ONE BLOOM Planted the same time as KONG & Butterfly Is pic #2 & is also 3ft
tall . they all got feed the same amount , same time , SO I Have No RHYME To Reason as For What I Have done .
I Do Know they are BLOOMING Fuller & Better in this colder weather we are haven , I just took these pic's .

well off to play outside

Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9         

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9284428

Evening everyone!

My neighbor has Summer Poinsettia plants that look just like yours, Debra, that are growing wild in a patch near the front of her house and she mentioned they come back every year. Now whether they reseed or return from the roots, I don't know but will ask her. Aren't they in the Amaranth family? I bought seeds last year for several exotic looking Amaranths and so far the ones I sowed late in June have only produced a few plants about 1' tall. I hope they bloom before frost and will be able to collect seeds.

I ran around this afternoon after I got home and shut the windows, put a blanket on our bed, and have the heat set to come on at 72 degrees. I know it will for the first time since last year with our low tonight slated to be about 42. If it were up to me, I'd just as soon leave the windows open but hubs is cold-natured and won't be surprised if he builds a fire in the morning.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 24, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9284665

42* here also this morning & Can you Believe My BRUGS ARE In FULL Bloom & The smell out my front door is a bit of Heaven .
Guess I better get into gear & get ready for winter early this year . ya all have a great day .
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 24, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9284792

I love my man. He's not into gardening but he has said he doesn't mind as long as our house doesn't become a jungle. My Dad's definition of jungle is plants everywhere, but my Sweetie's is 'needing a machete to get to the bathroom.'

This message was edited Sep 24, 2012 7:01 AM
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 24, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9285437

Hi everyone we actually went down into the high 30's the other night and 85 tomorrow gotta love the Midwest. Finally have daylilies blooming roses blooming brugs blooming mums like the rest of you plants are happy a few small rains and under 100. No reblooming iris tho.
Sounds like everyone is enjoying better weather and beautiful plants.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 25, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9285769

Debra, sure hope you have a wonderful week with your Sister! What plants did you come home with? I have never seen a Poinsettia like that! it is so pretty!

Carey, my brugs are the same this year as yours, only about 2 foot tall. I think it is due to the high tempos we had this year! But I had my first one bloom Sunday morning while I was in San Antonio. It is still open today, and I love this peachy color! And the smell is like a sweet cotton candy!

Thumbnail by taters55

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9285770

Just wanted to share a couple of fall clean up pic's Still Filling & MULCHING in the 1st pic hope to Finish today on that one :)
back later today

Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9      

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #9285777

Nice Brug LK Looks as you need a few More :)

Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9      

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 25, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9285904

I have plenty, just that is the only one blooming! Praying next year will not be so hot, so they can bloom!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 26, 2012
9:26 PM

Post #9287546

LK, that is one beautiful bloom. Gosh darnit, I wish I could figure them out - I'd love to see ONE bloom like that!

One has grown quite a bit the past couple of weeks. Doesn't have much foliage since the spider mites were atrocious and I pulled most of the leaves. It's popping out now though. Maybe that good soaking rain last weekend and the cooler temps made it happy. I'll be staring daily looking for buds!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9287686

beautiful, love the brugs and all the fall flowers.. we finally got some rain , yippee///
on way home from sisters we stopped in emporia to see her ex in laws, and since we were so close we went on over to Bonnie's ( AuntB) she is the one who really got me started and hooked in all this crazy plant madness..
I gave her some little twigs a couple years ago of iochroma and blue butter fly clerodendrum and macho fern and well, her things are all giant size now..it was nice to hear from her ever once in a while .. she would call and say "Deb... you should see the ... you gave me.." and proceed to tell me about the growth of everything.. seeing it in real life was better than the phone call progression reports LOL
here is sister , sitting under the giant hibiscus freezing her tail off..

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9287694

oh lordy , didn't realize how bad she looked.. she will be so furious with me! LOL
this is part of Bonnies back deck and Bonnie

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife         

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9287736

Debra, your Sister is beautiful! And those plants are wonderful! Did you ask what her secret formula for fertilizer is?

Carey, make sure you are giving your angel trumpets lots of fertilizer. If the temps are cooler, they will start growing, and they need extra food! I use Miracle Grow, the kind you add to water.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 27, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9287794

Is she one of those folks that doesn't fuss or do anything special to her plants? I find those people end up with beautiful and large plants.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 27, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9288211

Ladies I need a little help regarding lighting. I need a cheap, but safe, lighting set up for some plants. I'll be buying a white coated metal storage shelf for this that will have at least two or three shelves for plants. The lights either need to be able to hang from or clip to the shelving.

The shelves will be used in a room that has less than desirable light for plants. The main locations I can shop at are Lowes and Home Depot. I've had a few suggestions made, such as shop lights, but I have no clue what I'm looking for visually when I get to the store. Employees lately have been SO helpful (sarcasm if you can't tell.)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9288412

http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fans-Indoor-Lighting-Industrial-Shop-Lighting/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbvnq/R-202052422/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.UGUML03A8lQ

Look at his light it is at home depot, and it hangs from the ceiling.

Or these that clip on...
http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fans-Indoor-Lighting-Specialty-Lighting/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbvlh/R-202351658/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.UGUMrE3A8lQ
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 27, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9288442

Thank you Linda! I'll check those out. I'm hoping I'll only need them as just a little more oomph and not their only light source.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2012
10:59 PM

Post #9288527

I have gotten almost all my clip ons at the DAV stores and second hand stores for about 1.49. they are great for spot lighting. I have so many kinds of lighting going on in the basement right now it is crazy.
started putting names on boxes and started filling boxes with stuff tonight after sister went to bed. I am s proud of myself. LOL
these pics are from last year

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife      

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9288629

Love those pictures Debra, but that brug in the glass is beautiful!
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #9288833

I swear Debra, every time you post pictures I want to start singing 'In the jungle, the mighty jungle'

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2012
11:47 PM

Post #9289554

i am still awake.. * sigh* This is my lil sis in law dana and my sister Sherry.. I took her out to a blues jam the other night.. sister used to work in the bars and clubs with me wayyy back when, and she hasn't been to a "bar" for years.. I take her back home tommorrow ermmm today, after we have a birthday lunch at applebys for my darling Joe who is turning 61.
back patio from a distance.. pardon all the tubs and such, I collect as much water as possible when it rains..
mg tree out front
passion vine finally a bloom!
from susie.. thank you! I love this canna
Ang, by the time you get my box, you will have a jungle too!

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 29, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #9289657

Deb

Great photos - love the picture with you sister. Family is the best!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 29, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9289812

Debra, those pictures are wonderful! Happy Birthday to Joe!

Thumbnail by taters55

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9289825

Happy birthday Joe!!
A jungle would work here. I already hear a parrot and a tiger (cat) growling on a daily basis.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2012
11:06 AM

Post #9289994

HEY ALL NEW SWAP FOR BULBS IS OPEN come check us out
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1282221/
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9290344

Love your photos, Debra. Morning Glory tree...does it set seeds? That Passion Vine bloom took my breath away. You should enter it in the Photo Contest later this year. When I was a kid, a bunch of us used to pick Maypops and throw them at each other while riding our bikes. Crazy stuff but it was fun. Happiest Birthday Wishes to Joe!

Pic is Canna 'Picasso'.

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9290470

Those are beautiful Debra!
FOTV, Picasso is very lovely. I just put the ones you sent in moveable pots. It's better than storing them in a box, which could get squished in the move, or digging them out of hte barrel pot in the middle of January.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2012
8:45 PM

Post #9290502

Safeway has 5.00 citrus plants out front. They have a lovely Meyer Lemon and some kind of Lime. I had to walk right buy. Dad was proud. I has regrets.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2012
12:42 PM

Post #9291121

Fruity, so far my morning glory tree has not set any seeds, but the root easy from cuttings. I have a white one!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9291153

someone shared seeds with me but i'm not sure when to try to plant them for Next spring so i will have blooms next fall. Fruity i will share a few seeds with you.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 30, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9291337

Linda, I have the lavender one...would you like to trade a cutting? I should have 3-4 cuttings off of mine when I cut it back...does anyone want one?
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9291409

I'd love to have cuttings or seeds, any color. Since disassembling the two big planters that live on either side of our front door, I've replaced the Summer mix with plants that have a Fall theme. Now I have a pot of top-heavy Coleus and don't have the heart to throw them away. Would any of you like an assortment of cuttings? The only named ones I know in the mix are Electric Lime (bright green), Freckles (splotched leaves), and my fav Sedona (burgundy orange-ish). If my luck is like previous years, when we start heating with wood they will only die or become infested with spider mites. Some of you will recognize your Coleus and Cannas you took the time to share with me.

Last four pics show before and after of the planters.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 1, 2012
4:17 AM

Post #9291757

Very nice Fruity...Is that a Rudbeckia? Save the seeds on that one, very pretty.

I'll take some cutting if no one else wants any. Love the Sedona and Freckles, but any will do.

I'll send you the lavender MG tree. Would you want, I think, Black lace Elderberry?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9292066

GAgirl1066, I would love to trade cuttings. Send me your address, and I will send some when I cut them in a month or so!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9292226

Beautiful pots Fruity...love those combinations.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9292654

Thanks, happ. There are several pansies in those two that are just now starting to bloom and the Rosemary smells heavenly. If I had a dream job, it would be putting combo containers together. Course, the sky would be the limit using a nursery's stock...lol

I'll pass on the Elderberry and will get your cuttings out this week, GAgirl. Also have a sweet potato vine for you that will ride along. Will do on the Rud seeds. There are two: Cherry Brandy and Autumn Colors.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9292897

Need u to do my barrells in the city

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2012
10:00 PM

Post #9293173

love your combos, susan. I thnk I like putting wild flowers in the same tubs.. LOL

I just gave my sister most of my coleus. I kept the root parts so they can start over. Paula. stictocardia did not need cutting, but the other vine that was tangled up in it did cut back, I have had this vine I grew from a seed and it roots in the air, acts like a batata but has tri pointed leaves and goes as far as 25 ft anyway it can, it is a big beefy vine.. I keep a pot or two of it as it is a great filler for my bare areas. I sure thought it was a yellow morning glory, but oh well. I bet is is a type of batata.no taters ever from it, tho.
dug up 7 raspberry bushes ( babys ) on the way home from sisters, and got a huge stand of white passion vine that smells and blooms all day,,, I can't wait to have it on my arbor with the purple one. The pods are the size of lemons.
lobata, wildflowers out in country.. ( of course I had to dig some up for my wild flower native garden)
I am picking seeds from my gardens every day, rolling them all up in newspaper and rubber banding them and sending them out to you all .. so pass on the ones you do not want and plant what you think you might remember me by when you go outside..?

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2012
10:05 PM

Post #9293176

more wild flowers for my garden..

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

October 2, 2012
4:52 AM

Post #9293290

Debra,The third pic in the first row, what is the yellow tube shaped flower ?
I wish I had some of that white passion flower. It looks a lot like P. incarnata, except white. Did you find this in the wild or buy it as a white?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9293367

Debra, I have never had luck with passion vines here, they never grow! Too hot I guess? I love that white one!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #9293572

Beautiful Debra, bet your glad you moved a bunch of stuff into the basement greenhouse already.
I am trying to bring things in right now. Got home at a decent time yesterday but got to playing with the ducks...they are so funny. But did get a few things done. I found out the ducks and the chickens love water hyacinths omg.. they go crazy. I am going to try to grow some all winter in the solar room as a treat, but so far the basset hound is drinking all the water. Why is it he has a wonderful dog dish but all the dogs like drinking out of my flower barrels of water...?
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9293921

Debra, are some of those wild Asters? First pic in your second group looks like plants we have here but have never tried to dig them.

Do any of you know if hardy Argeretum transplants well? There's a bunch growing on both sides of road just up the hill. Their bluish purple blooms are really pretty mixed with wild rambling Morning Glories on now bare Sunflower stalks. Wonder where those came from? lol

happ, would your ducks eat lettuce? I know your chickens would. It's one of the foolproof, quickly growing plants that's super easy from seeds.
I have yet to snap a pic of cats drinking out of one of my watering cans, so darned cute. That hound dog of ours drinks out of anything that holds water.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9295993

Fruity, I LOVE your containers! If you ever need something to do, I could fly you down and set you to work. :)

LK, passis should do just wonderfully in your zone. They like their feet in the shade and waterings once a week. They prefer neutral to acid soils, although mine grew everywhere, even caliche.

Fruity and Happ, my mom's cocker spaniels drink out of her gallon jugs through the hole on top. THAT is funny to watch!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9296009

Carey, that is all we have here is caliche soil! All my plants are in pots or raised beds.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9296144

You got it, Carey, and what about a tour of the City too since I've only been to Austin once for a quick overnight stay on the way to San Antonio, years ago? Oh the trouble we could get into, Girl...lol

Right now I'm planning an Amtrak trip to New Orleans next June. Anybody wanna go? Never have ridden on an Amtrak train or been NOLA. Looking forward to staying at the hotel that borders Bourbon Street and diving into fresh Seafood.

It's that time of year to start bringing plants in again. And time to put the Caladiums to rest for another year too, always makes me sad to do that but they do give us enjoyment 6 months out of the year. Debra, was it you who just brings your pots is? Thinking about doing that instead of lifting bulbs again since there's room in our heated garage. Of the six pots full, I've already cut three back to nubs, no thanks to the kiddons for making a bed in them. Photos are some of the gorgeous leaves.

Does anybody have a Shrimp plant? And how do you care for yours over Winter? Mine has, or had Yellow blooms before they dropped, and the lady at the nursery said if we have another mild Winter, cut the plant back, store it in our garage, water sparingly, and it would come back next Spring. But who knows what Winter will bring. Oh well, there's always room for one more pot inside, right?

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9296220

Fruity,those are beautiful leaves.
I have several shrimp plants, a red one, and one called fruit cocktail. I don't do anything to them, I leave them in the pot outside, and they come back the next year. Bigger and better.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9296242

Oh how funny you have one called Fruit Cocktail!

Just researched care and suppose yours would naturally be OK to leave out, LK, given your warmer climate, but unfortunately that's not the case here. Propagation sounds easy enough by dipping the cuttings in rooting hormone powder and waiting for results, yay or nay. I'm gonna try and hope in time there will be babies to share.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9296244

I have never tried to take cuttings. let me know how it goes.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9296245

Will do. Of the six Hibiscus "Midnight Marvel" cuttings I took a couple of months ago, four rooted :)

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9296262

yes, I just bring in my pots of caldiums. I think we must have the same nes, fruity. I love them. I bring my shrimp plants in like everything else, they bloom all winter down in the basement garden, which is really getting filled up fast now.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9296279

Same thing I just stop watering the caladiums and bring them in and water maybe every six weeks just a little. Just make sure you don't have any rolly Polly bugs eating the bulbs. Beautiful leaves.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 6, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9297870

Hi all, I thought I'd check in. I've been busy cleaning up my outdoor garden and the house. We are getting ready to sell

We called a realtor last week. I was given a list of things to get done that she and my Dad agreed upon. Mostly involving plants and my gardening stuffs. After she left I was very miffed with Dad since he agreed to things involving my plants and gardening stuff. Dad and I bargained so all is well.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9297912

so... are you ready for your plants and seeds then from me? cuz I have a garage full of stuffs I saved to send out..
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9297924

Yeah, and I'll soon have some Cannas for you too, Ang.

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 6, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9297970

Oh yes Debra, I'm ready.

Thank you FOTV. I love cannas. I'll have my barrel pots emptied and filled just for cannas.

Pictures: My indoor and my deck plants. The deck plants got cut down by 80%. The realtor suggested I go down to 3 pots 0_o Indoor plants there aren't any restrictions, but I have to cut down on my shelving units.
Bonus pics - the new neighbors ^_^

Even the poor kitties got downsized. Their nice big tower was taken away and replaced with a tiny thing.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2012
10:40 PM

Post #9298145

awwww I LOVE the pic of your kitty on it's back.. wish I could scratch it's tummy.. Ang, I have prenniels, have you a place for those as well?
where the heck is Amanda?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 7, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9298271

Ang - so the realtor is telling you to downsize on everything? I know my inlaws had their house on the market this past year and they had to get rid of a lot of things and put a lot of different items into storage. They paid out a lot of money over a lot of months for the storage. Seems the real estate market has changed alot since I bought my house.

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 7, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9298483

Those two are my new neighbors. Very sweet and their personalities remind me of my two. My Dad was calling the brown tabby a kitten and thought it might be a feral cat. That "kitten" is a regular sized female that is friendly and very well fed. These two are also the new mole patrol. Thank goodness too because we have feral cats and other owned cats all around the condo but none do squat about moles.

Yes Carolyn, I've been told to downsize my plants and clean up my gardening 'messes' to make the place look 'spacious.' Fortunately they only mentioned restricting the number of white shelves I have indoors but not specifically limiting my plants TO those remaining shelves. I've made my opinion clear to dad ^_^

Any plants Debra sends will actually be shared with my fiance's Mom and she's offer to take a couple of my plants if need be. I shouldn't need them as Dad and I have a plan and several back up plans so my plants aren't in danger of being "tossed" or rehomed.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 7, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9298533

I went for a tiny walk and noticed a load of gladiolus seed pods so I harvested a bunch. I wonder if these are actually good to grow. I harvested 10 pods I think.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2012
11:21 AM

Post #9298597

never hurts to try, Ang.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9300054

Hello all...sorry I have been MIA for a while. I pinched a nerve in my back on August 20th and have pretty well been down since then. I hurt so bad I didn't even want to get on the computer. After 2 back injections in different areas, I still have some pain but at least I am not having to walk with a cane. That made me feel soooooooooooooooo old!!!!!!!!!!

Ang ... congratulations on your engagement!!!!!!!!! I can just see you grinning like the cat that ate the canary. Just reading your posts made me smile and feel better. I forgot about my pain. ^_^ My anniversary is April 23rd, which was my parents wedding date. He proposed on March 17, 1 year after our first date on March 14th. ^_^, and we were married in April. lol Was a quick preparation, but I liked it that way. Didn't have to worry over details for too long. I made our invitations, a girl I worked with in cake decorating class did the cake, I had a new fancy dress that was beige with decorations sewn on that I had bought for a "special occasion" and it fit the bill, rented a gazebo and put it outside at a friends house next to their pond (it is in their back yard), set up chairs, put big bows on the gazebo, DH sister played the portable keyboard and the other sister sang. Nothing big and fance but was really nice. It was a 2nd wedding for us both.

After the 2nd summer in a row of 100+ temps for days on end and no rain ... My garden was hit and miss. Lost several plants that just made me sick. When I couldn't get out of bed to water 3 days in a row, lost a couple of things and "barely" saved some others. Right now I have blooming: Mexican Milkweed, Pineapple Sage, Herbs, Butterfly Bush, Zinnia's, tall (2-3 feet) Celosia, tall (5-6') Salvia, Moonflowers, Dahlia and some hanging baskets. My canna barely bloomed this year. 1 pot grew but didn't bloom at all. I wonder if I had too many in the pot. Others bloomed hit and miss, here and there. They were all in pots. I was really disappointed in that. They all were so pretty and seemed to bloom continuously last year. I always had Canna blooms. I had quite a few pots of colored coleus that did real well this year also.

Oh D&*N !!!!! I missed the PJ swap. UGH! I always look forward to that one! I love the ones I got from Debra last year!!!! I don't think I am going to be able to do the painted rock swap I planned for October. Just too much going on and too much to go into detail and bore you. ^_^

I am about to give up on growing Brugs. They aren't any bigger than they were last year and have had NO blooms. I had 'one' bloome last year after I brought them into the house. They just don't like me I guess.

My purple passion vine is going great guns and is sooooooooooooooo prety. It has been setting fruit for quite a while now, but the seem to 'disappear' before they turn purple. lol I think the squirrels are hooked on the passion vine. Someone was going to trade me a yellow one for some of my purple one, but I can't remember WHO! Even though they are invasive, I love them! I don't know how many colors they come in, but would love them ALL! They are so unique and the insect world love the flowers.

I've lost so many of my plants due to the last 2 bad summers. I would LOVE to have some starts of new plants. I have a bunch of coleus that I started from when I pruned mine.

Fruity ... I have NOT forgotten about your BBON box! It is still here, just waiting until I'm able to send. Hopefully will be SOON.

Well, off to read more threads. I'm soooooooooooooo behind on everything!

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

October 8, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9300096

My sister died last Tuesday. She had been on hospice since early summer. It was a long hard summer. For all of us. I have been making the 60+ mile round trip 5-7 days/week to see Mother, then my sister for about 6 years now. I have been thinking what a person could do with 30 extra hours/week. I guess the first thing is try to catch up with some things that I've let go around my own house and yard. Then maybe I will just pick something and become an expert on it. Who knows?
The kids left to go back to NC and Virginia today.
I washed clothes most of the day and did some short jobs I have been dreading a long time. One was to wash the outside of the greenhouse window over my sink. It did not take long at all. Why have I put it off so long?
Did some greenhouse jobs; A huge staghorn fern had fallen and the hook bounced back and punched a hole through 2 layers of poly. I repaired that and rehung the fern. I cleaned up my calamondin orange and fishtail palm, both of which are huge and got them back in the greenhouse.
My plants are sitting under some trees, some of which are black walnuts and so I have been rounding up fallen walnuts so I won't roll to the ground on them when I walk by. They also drop a lot of nasty leaves and stems that can't be that good for the plants so i try to get them cleaned up
my nite cereus have maybe 12 or 13 buds on them. The blooms are maturing slowly as the nights are getting cooler. I think the low is predicted to be 50 here tonight. I always used to say frost would be here by Oct 15, but in recent years, it keeps moving back, and frequently after it does frost it warms back up for a while. One year recently it was nearly Thanksgiving before we had a killing frost.
with gardening, there is just one surprise after another.!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9300159

Crit, sure hope your back is better soon!

Crystal, sorry to hear about your Sister passing! (((((((HUGS)))))))
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9300168

*hugs Crystal*
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 8, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9300206

Hugs and so sorry to hear about your sister.

Crit glad u are back missed u.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2012
10:14 PM

Post #9300264

Patti, I know how you felt and I am so sorry for you.. I wish I could have come and helped! Sheesh! you need my number as we are NOT that far away from each other.

Crystal... God Bless you , for taking care of so many for so long... I know how hard it must have been, and I am sorry for your loss. I can't imagine havng 30 hours extra a week right now, but when my wonderful Pauline passed, it was strange to not drive her to the cancer dr or stop by and help her to do personal things.. what Love you have shown for your family!

I just can not imagine my life without my sister. I have tried. I guess when she tells me it is time to really think about it, I will.
I am so glad my son, dear Joe and Joanna all brought the whole front and back yard into the garage! LOL well, at least it seems like they did all that. Some of it even made it down the stairs to the basement Gardens.
My sister took this picture while she was here week before last, but it sure doesn't look like this right now..
that is my youngest digging in my garden like a squirrell, lookng for grubs, rolypolys and worms and snails and slugs to put in her holding tub to feed turtles with. Sheesh!
The boys had already brought most of the tender tropicals in from the front porch a few weeks ago.. and the last pic is the mg tree blooms she took.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 9, 2012
1:35 AM

Post #9300295

Patty - I am so glad you are feeling better and so good to hear from you.

Crystal - I am so sorry to hear about your sister. My siblings and I have always been close, but my sister and I are closer than the the rest of them. We have talked about not wanting to be the first one, nor the last one to go. I was at a funeral yesterday - it just seems like there is more death and not so pleasant things going on this past year for a number of people.

Debra - how is Sissy feeling?

It has been difficult for us as well, DH was diagnosed with heart problems early this past summer and it has been a nightmare ever since. We still are not finished and I just want things back to normal. - I know that doesn't come close to those of us that have lost people this past year, but I think it has been a difficult year for most of us.

Here's to a better year and a better gardening season next year - I think we all need a good one after this one.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2012
4:41 AM

Post #9300335

Crit there is a HUGE OutBreak of Meningitis caused by those Back Injection Please read this & Talk to your Dr.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/meningitis-outbreak-up-to-13000-got-shots-of-recalled-steroid-but-how-many-at-risk-unclear/2012/10/08/c3c058a0-11a6-11e2-9a39-1f5a7f6fe945_story.html

2 here in Mi Has Died from them. so get checked out girl. Just my 2cents for i care.
crystal sorry for your sister .Prayers .

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9300387

Debra, that is a lot of plants to carry in, so glad to hear you had help doing it!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9300409

would you that expressed an interest in some seeds and plants please email me at my regular email address and have plants and seeds in the subject line? would love to have everyone's addresses at work so I can mail from there.. this is the week I want to send, except Linda, and She wants to wait a bit until she gets home. ( I think I can get stuff to you, before then, tho, LK.)
Debra

Thumbnail by joeswife

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9301133

Fruity, whenever you make it down here, we'll gorge ourselves on BBQ and good coffee. And pancakes. And Tex-Mex.

Then we'll drive out to Joy's and hit all the nurseries in between. We'll rent a U-haul. :)

LK,once those PVs are established, you'll have them forever!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2012
9:03 PM

Post #9301177

LK, I have passies rooting for you. plus a large seed pod for you to play with, these are a fragrant white.
I want more colors.. careyanna? LOL
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2012
9:48 PM

Post #9301203

Debra do you need my address?

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9301696

Debra, I wish! I somehow managed to lose all mine last summer, and my replacement caerulea were munched by the cats before they could get established (I bought netting for next year). Native plant sale this weekend - hoping I can try, try again. :p
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2012
9:55 PM

Post #9302089

I'm just now checking in and am thinking of all you tonight. Bow season is in full swing here and hubby bagged a 6-point deer tonight about dark. By the time he dragged it home, that made supper late along with kitchen clean-up and taking turns getting our showers. I've been up since 6 and ought to be sleepy, but I'm not well past my bedtime.

Beautiful pics as alwaysl, Debra, and it looks like College Girl is following in your footsteps. Your Sis is a trooper and is a tremendous fighter.

Welcome back, Patti. We've missed you and only want for you to feel stronger every day. Hubs has degenerative arthritis, mainly in his spine, and used to take steroid shots in his back and neck. He stopped taking them months ago since the nausea far outweighed the relief of pain for only a few days. Check with your doctor if you haven't already and find out which lab supplied your shots. You know with the outbreak of meningitis, it's a serious threat and is not to be taken lightly.

My thoughts are with you too, Carolyn. I had no idea your husband is ill. I too would like for things to go back to normal for you and so many others. The beauty is we're all here for each other.

And Crystal, how my heart goes out to you. You should have been on vacation instead of having to bury your Sister. You have my deepest condolences.

Love ya all through the good times and those that try us.

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

October 11, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9302643

Hey Fruity and friends...when do you move seedlings to new pots? about how big are the seedlings when you move them? Thank you so much everyone!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9302652

Well, ain't that a broad question? Depends on what kind of seedlings you have, Alicia. Generally speaking, most are ready to move when they have a set or more of true leaves.

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

October 11, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9302700

I have two tiny hibiscus, and three tiny varigated Yucca started...any suggestions?
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9302721

Well, I guess in addition to having true leaves, I'd watch for roots to start creeping out of the bottom of their starter pots. That is a definite sign they're ready to be repotted, but I'm sure you knew that anyway. If they are super tiny, do you have a place inside to baby them over Winter? Not much help. Hopefully, someone with more experience will chime in. I know a lot of you have awesome green thumbs when it comes to growing from seeds. Paula, Susie, Debra? Anyone?

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2012
10:21 PM

Post #9302858

I have a lot of babies right now, and they are going to stay in their cribs until spring. That is what I do...too cold for babies in this area..
I just found out a dear DG friend passed away a month ago.. from cancer.. I am so sad, I have been trying to get ahold of her to show her the things she sent me and they are huge beautiful blooming shrubs now. dang... Goodbye, dear Dee. I will think of her everytime I gaze at my flowering viburnums and lilacs.
been woirking in the basement gardens. when it is all cleaned up I will take pics. Makes an ugly basement with cracks look pretty good! LOL
I have all kinds of peppers and tomatoes down there , too. and my setosa vine, lobata vine, clerodendrum vine, blackeyed susan vine, calico pipevine, pandorea vine, stictocardia, and a pandemonium of various other vines and morning glorys will greet me all winter. yay!chopping down the gardens and cleaning out the vege gardens after work tommorrow..
currently rooting some tropical hibiscus since I had to cut the big hib twisted tree down it was up to the ceiling. joe got the big banana down with its two pups, it is up to the ceiling as well, sitting in the dry sump pump hole that has never been used. gonna be a buggar to get back out this spring.
I sucessfully roted some jasmne sambuc and some night blooming jessemine too. I am sooo proud.

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

October 12, 2012
5:21 AM

Post #9302964

WOW Joeswife, I am going to come visit you too sometime:) One of these days I am going to win the lotto (I need to start playing:) than I am going to take a vacation a week at a time and come soak in all the knowledge and great ideas from all my DG friends:) Soooo you are officially on my list:) Hee hee
Thank you Fruity and joeswife for the info:)
Alicia
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 13, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9303855

I was cleaning up this area a bit and I thought I'd share some pictures. This will be two posts I think.

My Droseras. One is a d. scorpioides and the other three are d. capensis. The capensis I bought at the nursery and the grabbers were are rust colored and there was a gnat issue. I repotted them in their own pots, snipped off the rusty grabbers and now they are good as new.

My Calathea. I was following the tag it came with and it started to curl. A nice fella on FB took a look at my picture and told me it needed water. It also has a pebble tray.

My 'under $2' orchids. One cost 1.75 and the other was 1.50. I have them in a phal orchid mix, styrofoam on the bottom and I water in ice. One has gotten greener and the one up close, which I think was sunburnt, is growing a new leaf!

My AV ... I haven't killed it!!

My Tilly is having a baby!!

Thumbnail by tikipod   Thumbnail by tikipod   Thumbnail by tikipod   Thumbnail by tikipod   Thumbnail by tikipod

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 13, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9303865

Careyana, photo #3 is for you ^_^

First up is my Aporophyllum. She has made fantastic growth but still looks tiny. I had to cut her back and then I stuck her outside.

My A. 'Doran Black'. I sent two pups to my best friend and shes sending out more. I noticed the nursery sells good puppers.

Epi cuttings Pumpkin and Yellow, sent from Careyana, are my best growers. They each are putting out new growth.

My pothos ... I haven't killed them!! Er well these two. I'm finding I cannot keep Marble Queen alive. The silver seems to like water more so than most Pothos. It curls when it's thirsty. I'm been keeping an eye out for golden and a neon.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9303914

Tiki i love the look of the gravel on the top of the soil. Pic 3 i have 3 huge pots of it qnd actually got one blooming it was white. I think i have mixed several varities togetherbin my pots so i don't know one from another.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9303922

I Have This " KALANCHOE TUBIFLORA " with 100' of pups looks a little sad since i brought it in the house , is there a special feed I can use to help perk it up ?? it was given to me this pass summer & was about 3-4 inches tall but look at it now over a ft tall .
hope i can keep it alive in the house over the winter i do not do well with house plants .

Thumbnail by deejay9

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 13, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #9303925

Nice Happ! Will you share a picture? I'd love to see it.
I'm hoping to pick up some more cuttings to help "fill" the pots. If you notice there is a second pot next to it that is blue that is also in need of filling. BTW I love these glazed pots. I always buy them when planters are on sale or clearance.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 14, 2012
9:53 AM

Post #9304762

Ang I am so glad those cuttings are doing so well! :)

I did pick up another Red and I'm hoping it'll survive. It was the nicest looking out of several very near-death looking plants. It has some new growth so I think it was saved in time.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2012
10:20 PM

Post #9305502

nice collection, there ANg, I like how you
have them grouped. have you gotten your box yet?

I have the golden pothos, will send you some cuttings along with the tri color i am cutting back
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9305759

No box yet. I suspect that'll be today, or at least I hope.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9305946

Here is my pot of succulants I had last year, now sadly I lots several of those and for some reason I can't remember to take a picture of this years pot.

Thumbnail by happgarden

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9306427

Here is the pot of succulants I did this year, transplanted Sunday from the outside planter to the inside planter. Also included a couple of pics of some succulants. Does anyone know what the plant is in the cowboy boot, the pales green skinny upright succulant?

Thumbnail by happgarden   Thumbnail by happgarden   Thumbnail by happgarden      

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9306472

Spent part of last week and part of yesterday planting bulbs and some new plants. My new roses are looking fantastic!

The native plant sale was sparse compared to the spring I did manage to get a really really nice Snapdragon vine though!

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

October 15, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9306520

That snapdragon vine isn't Asarina, is it? I have tried several times to get Asarina from seed without luck. I have never seen it in person; the description intrigues me.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

October 15, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9306524

I hear the postage is going up (again) in late January. going to make it tough on retail shippers, as well as us at DG with these swaps.
I guess there is just no way to ship cheaply and fast or someone would figure out how.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9306545

Evening Ladies!

That's a great looking cement planter, happ. Actually they all are.

Susie, the nickname of your Kalanchoe is called 'Mother of Thousands' for a reason. If you start some of those babies hanging on the ends of the leaves, you'll probably have a new crop in no time. I don't know what's wrong with your plant overall, but it does look stressed. Wonder if a diluted solution of SuperThrive or a similar product you already have on hand would help the next time you water? Thought anybody?

Succulents are tricky for me too. Too much water and they rot, too little and they just wither away.

Debra, what is a tri-colored Pothos? Don't know the name of the one I have that's just a marbly green and creamy yellow.

Anybody thought about Winter forecasts? Thought you might want to see what they are for your area. Interesting info for the Mid-Atlantic Region since we are supposed to have a more normal winter with usual cold temps and snow accumulations, instead of the non-Winter experienced here last year.

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather/2012/08/26/will-winter-return-with-a-vengeance/

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 15, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9306651

fruity, farmers almanac said snow on the 15th for us here,, it was 87 today.. LOL
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9306924

I will look at that pic when Im on my computer. My monitor sort of smoked and burned

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9307011

Crystal, Snapdragon vine is also known as "Roving Sailor" and a couple of other names which I forget. It's a native here in TX and it's latin designation is Maurandya antirrhiniflora. I've been wanting one for a while - got one in the spring but it was so tiny it didn't stand a chance. This one is much more established and actually has a couple of blooms. The true native has purple blooms but the ones at the sale were red.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9307233

Hey Happgarden could it be Euphorbia pubiglans? I've seen a plant just like this at the nursery and saw a picture with Euphorbia attached to the picture name. Reminds me of a pine cone for some reason.

Edit: sorry getting names mixed up.

This message was edited Oct 16, 2012 4:39 PM

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

October 16, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9307388

What I want is Asarina.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53939/

But I give up unless someone gives me one. I thought they were pink, though.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2012
8:57 PM

Post #9307597

fruity, tri color pothos is yellow, dark green and a hint of pink. Cobta pothos is a marbled white and green and goes up like a cobra. I also have the dark velvet pothos that has thebrugandy hint to the undersides. I love pothos.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9307810

Ang it does remind you of a pine cone, Euphorbia pubiglans, I do believe that is it, suppose to be easy to start. A friend brought it back from florida from another friend...you know that friend thing...rofl. That tilly looks like an octopus getting ready to get your fingers. ;) I like odd plants, and thought about getting some of those insect catchers but really don't know much about them as far as care and etc. I was cleaning on the garden room or should almost say cat room (I have my cat, sisters cat, and my Mom's very old kitty) and found a tree frog. They are so cute.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 17, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9308051

That Tilly is a T. caput-medusae and it has a little pup. Cute little thing but not big enough to separate from mom. The nursery I go to has a load of them for sale. So cute and a lot of big ones too.

As for Sundews (the bug catchers) they are fairly easy to grow but I consider them special needs. They need rain water or distilled water for watering. 50/50 Peat and Perlite or coarse sand that has absolutely nothing added, which I can only find at the nursery.

Debra those pothos sound interesting! Our local store only has green and marble lately. They do have some nifty philos too, which I think are family.

This message was edited Oct 17, 2012 10:26 AM
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9308312

I have an email into my Dr. to see where they get their medications from for the back injections. I saw on the news that there was not any shipped to our state. All of them went east of us. Thanks for thinking about me!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 17, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9308330

Deb

do you have any pictures of the cobra pothos? I would love to see.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2012
10:29 PM

Post #9308560

I do somewhere, I will look and find a pic when I am home this weekend, or ... take a brand new one LOL
Ang, I shipped that box fed ex, so we are tracking it ( at work) I am sure everything will be dried out by now..
I have stashes of cuttings rooting of all kinds of stuff to send out, will try again by usps.
I took a cutting of cobra, it grows upwards around a pole like a snake..
the tri colored one is now nestled in it's winter spot in the pink bedroom. As soon as I get some batteries, I will take pics. Juts checked the red firespike cuttings and they are rooted and ready for who ever wants them.
the basement is slowly getting arranged.. this datura is the same datura I over wintered last year and the year before..
carolyn,here is the momma pencil cactus your cuttings came from..
and I have three plants that were cuttings of this other momma at work..I didn't know it bloomed, and was surprised at how lovely the scent was..

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 18, 2012
1:36 AM

Post #9308586

Nice Deb - everything is looking great. Is that a split leaf phildendron in the first picture? It looks almost varigated.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

October 18, 2012
5:31 AM

Post #9308669

A Pencil Plant bloomed? Do you have a picture?

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

October 18, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9308670

A Pencil Plant bloomed? Do you have a picture?

Once I had a jade plant bloom. Not recently tho.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 18, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9308691

morning! Crystal, the pencil plant has teeny tiny lil "feathers " on it's branches that turn a reddish color if in bright enough sunlight.
the bloom on the last two pictures is a dracena? ( sp)
Carolyn, yes I have two split leafs, one a solid green and one a marble .. both were just tiny pieces sent to me. I have no idea Why They Have Lived..
the peace lilly Fruity sent me last year is blooming again in the fish pond.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9308726

[quote="tikipod"]
As for Sundews (the bug catchers) they are fairly easy to grow but I consider them special needs. They need rain water or distilled water for watering. 50/50 Peat and Perlite or coarse sand that has absolutely nothing added, which I can only find at the nursery.
This message was edited Oct 17, 2012 10:26 AM[/quote]

Ok, maybe I have already changed my mind about those little bug eaters, special needs, I can barely keeip rough and tuff alive...rofl.

Debra, so glad KS didn't get any of those drugs, that is so scary. I love that shrimp plant and the color is beautiful it is so big. I put one in the barrel I planted for the city but it was yellow and didn't do so good... I love you garden basement it is so pretty and everything is always so beautiful and happy, I am already fighting mealy bugs on a mandevilla..good grief. Never thought about putting a peace lily in a water garden. I did put a small water garden in the solar room to keep some of the water garden tropicals alive and to grown water hyacinth for the ducks and chickens to have as a treat during the winter when nothing green is growing. They love those things.

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 18, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #9308826

Happ, I've killed plants that are said to be impossible to kill - spider plants and pothos. Past their specific potting medium and water requirements they aren't difficult. They like their feet a little wet so I keep mine in a saucer filled with an inch of water. I fill it just as it's about gone. They helped with the mealy bug issue by catching the males and now they get any gnats that come in.
Also thanks for identifying the shrimp plant. I recognized it in Debra's picture but couldn't remember what it was called.

Debra is that a light blooming orchid cactus in that hanging basket in the first pic.
Yeah, I think they'll be a little dried but I'll still soak them to see if they bounce back. Is there an ETA on the tracking?
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9309050

Ok, anything that kills mealies has to be a friend of mine... ;)

Ang is an orchid cactus the same as a night blooming cereus? I searched both and they look the same to me.
A night blooming cereus is one of those plants that are impossible to kill and from what I read the only way to get them to bloom is to let them think they are dying...which must be true because mine bloomed at the end of this summer after the biggest drought we have ever had and the worse temps on record. It was hanging in a tree and I forgot about it so I can't tell you how long it went with out water. Then I found this wonderful bud that I watched constantly waiting for it to open and it did and I was sooo excited. But I had always read they had a wonderful smell, but I must of missed that part because I didn't smell anything. They say if your plant is big and green and healthy looking it will never bloom...rofl. That it blooms out of necessity to repopulate. Now that is a plant I can live with...rofl.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9310182

One day, I hope my Dracena like yours, Debra, grows up to be as big...and blooms!

My neighbor 'up the hill' has a huge night blooming Cereus and said it was a gift when she retired in the late 1970's. Can you imagine caring for the same plant for over 30 years? She said it was just a wee thing then and it took 7 years to bloom. She stores hers in the basement over Winter and brings it out under her carport after our last frost in the Spring. Blooms on hers are White and don't know who was more excited to see them... her or me ...when I went to pick a mess of Fall greens a few weeks ago! In all these years, she's only repotted hers three or four times and guessed it must like to be crowded to produce blooms. The pot it's in now might be 16" diameter. It was a wowser moment when I saw those gorgeous White blooms that were still slightly fragrant from opening the night before.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 19, 2012
9:18 PM

Post #9310216

we have a few plants that are over 30 years old. only repotted maybe 3 times in those years? I am trying to talk Joe into letting me repot "Big Boy"
it is 37 years old. Geez, he won't let me touch it. it is a tree philo. huge. it takes up the whole buffet in the dining room. I have two dark red self heading rubber trees? and four of those dracena rooted cuttings. can't seem to find anyone who wants that kind of stuff.
my cerus are all crowded, and about three years old, since receiving all of them as cuttings. Hoping to see a bloom on them.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 19, 2012
10:23 PM

Post #9310238

goldhillal...seed for Asarina can be gotten from: tmseeds.com. Red, purple, pink and white. I got a Cobea in a trade this summer (similar), it never bloomed yet so I brought it inside, hopefully it will make it thru the winter, I'd love to see it bloom...Also brought in 3 passiflora carulea.

Began taking cuttings on Clematis, hoping to root them over the winter, have another tray to fill with more (a whole tray of The President.

Sorry, clem is EFYoung not the president. I hope they root, I'd like to use them in plant trades if they make it...

This message was edited Oct 21, 2012 7:09 PM

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy         

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 20, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9310350

Kathy

let us know how you do with the clemmie cuttings. I have been trying to increase mine by layering and haven't have any luck
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 20, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9310497

Yep, orchid cactus is just another term for Epiphyllum and possibly a few other species. Night blooming cereus is just the common name for that specific one. I always forget how to spell cereus though lol.

I don't have the one that Debra has. I have a Selenicereus that may be the one called the night blooming cereus as well. I think, no clue.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9312506

Hey everyone,, I am at Goobers house, just got new car!! Well it is a 2008 so lightly used. I got the Ford taurus X it is bigger than a car but not a huge SUV. I like it very much!!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 22, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9312529

Congratulations Kris!!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9312577

Thanks,,, I am excited.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9312599

that is exciting news.. congrats, Kris!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2012
9:00 PM

Post #9312737

Now just need to pay it off,,,sigh

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2012
9:16 PM

Post #9312741

oh dear, that is the hard part..
lookie at my peter pepper, isn't it so cute?

Thumbnail by joeswife

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 23, 2012
2:44 AM

Post #9312796

Cute Debra...what kind of pepper is it?

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9312871

it is called peter pepper... http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/82902/
I have a little collection of peppers in the basement garden..

Thumbnail by joeswife

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 23, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9313551

Rofl... :)
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 23, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9313574

These are some of my babies - curly epiphyllum seedlings. The pods arrived so "ripe" that they were full of seedlings lol.

Thumbnail by tikipod

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2012
9:56 PM

Post #9313697

awwww those are so cute!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 24, 2012
2:16 PM

Post #9314276

Wow Ang those are some beautiful babies...wowzer. What happens next, you wait until they have real leaves? Then? I have never seen curly before, how great is that...rofl.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9314362

Crystal, I was just looking at T & M Seeds and have my eye on several packs. Would you like to split a pack or two of Asarina? Which color(s)? Let me know and I'll add them to my order.

You have come a long way, Elfie! Really proud of you driving again and especially having your own wheels.

Cute crop of seedlings, Ang. I'm assuming the plastic is for a greenhouse effect. What are you going to do with all those?

Debra, lol Nuff said.

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 24, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9314417

Happ I think that is the next step along with guarding them from those who want me to throw them away. I think I read that once they get two leaves I can move them into their own pot. THINK. Not sure.
Here is a link to the plantfile http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/130577/ She sent me three pods, two with stems still attached, so I put the stems in a pot with another cutting I have. Very nice lady.

FOTV, you are correct although really I'm leaving it on because my cat Delilah will bite the bag and not pluck seedlings out. Now clue what I'll do with them all but if the majority survives I will share the seedlings. I have no room for them and this isn't the only pot of them. I have 6 more. O_O Yes, you read that number correctly.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9314439

You're going to have enough seedlings to open a store and sell them, Ang. Speaking of cats, Max has decided his favorite spot to stretch out is on the return of my desk. Fine, but not when I'm sitting here and have little 'elbow room'. He's ticked and laying on the floor now because I put a couple of bubble envys in 'his' spot. Oh wait, he just jumped to the window sill. Crazy cat.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9314536

LOL fruity... my poblanos and giant bell peppers are coming back, I cut the tops off and put them in a huge tub with a handle, tomatoes are growing too down there..
this lady friend of mine has me over winter the tropical hibiscus I have her two years ago.. just got it unloaded from the car, it is HUGE. now I have to cut it back, but I am taking a bloom stem each day to her to enjoy at work. ( we work together) Joe was like.. DAMNNNN that thing grew!! LOL
it is in the garage, being debugged. He has cut so much of the house eating 60 yr old blooming english ivey off the north side of the house, that I found I have a large window. LOL now I have LIGHT in the garrage. too bad it is not heated and just an old single, my honda civic just fits in there..
Sister had her surgery today, they couldn't do anything for the lungs or the stomach, but got a almost a liter of fluid out of her heart sac..
she was griping last I talked to her, about how she hates the pain meds, so I know she is ok. I didn't sleep at all last night worrying about her.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 24, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9314565

FOTV, Keoni's favorite spot is on my lap with his head on my arm that I move the mouse with. His other favorite spot is between the keyboard and my chest. Delilah has always used my son's desk which is to the left of my desk but the realtor had us remove it. Now I have a stand with a printer on top, so she sleeps on the printer.

Debra, sending prayers and hugs to you and your sister.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2012

Post #9314584

Max is in our downstairs closet, a favorite place of his to hide and is usually content in there for hours. We'll see. I gave up the extra storage space underneath the stairs and between the dryer where I usually store bulbs in lieu of his litter box. Oh well, I'll find room for them somewhere else.

Your sis is a trooper, Debra, with a strong will to live and has been through so much. I'm so glad you two took a vacation earlier this year. What a special trip it was : )

It's time to move on, folks, and continue our chat here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1285697/
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9318102

Debra, if you have some cuttings from your purple datura, I would love to have a couple. Also, any shrimp plant cuttings you might have. I had 3 big shrimp plants of red, yellow and tutti fruity but lost all of them. I really like them, think they are neat plants.

DH and I had to schlep in all my plants Thursday night. We had a hard freeze Friday and Saturday nights, and will have another tonight. I hate this time of year when everything freezes and dies, then it goes back to 70's and 50's at night. UGH! My pineappe sage was so big and had pretty red blooms all over it! Was really spectacular.

I have a double peach hibiscus that only set on a couple of blooms this year, and it wasn't until the end of summer. The blooms are so heavy the stems can't hold them up, so they droop. Any idea what I can do to get it to bloom better? I've had it several years and the amount of blooms drops every year. I used miracle grow on it.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9318211

got ya pattie. on the hibs, I trim mine after they bloom, stem by stem. Tropical that is.I try to root them after that.
Ijust water once a week and feed thema very weak solution. My double peach hangs as well. I think it is wanting to be a shrub, where the other tropicals can be shaped into trees. My poodle hib droops down with every bloom. I need to trim it. I do spray with my spray stuff once a week as well. My stuff is all under lights as if outside. Where are you keeping yours?
I also had pineapple sage, I pulled them up and schlepped them into a tub. some of them I have already cut back and planted. some are still blooming in that tub in the garage. I did the same with my white marigolds and my swamp marigolds and the red salvia and pink salvia.
oh, i have never tried a triple datura cutting, but will send you a plant if that is okay.ya know we suppposed to be on the other thread LOL
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #9318287

Ya, but since this is technically a 'closed thread', I don't think anyone would mind. ^_^

Yes, plants would be even better than starts. I had a double yellow and a triple purple, and could not believe I did not get ANY of them back this year from last years seed! They were sooooooooooooooo pretty!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #9318703

All I have read about datura's they can't be started with cuttings, you have to start them from seeds? And the seeds are really easy to start.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

October 29, 2012
6:29 AM

Post #9318782

The Datura meter starts easily from seed. Too easily, in fact and can become a nuisance easily. After I found out about it, I began to clip the pods off before they burst open. The other Daturas I have grown do not set seed, so you have to take cuttings, which root pretty easily. Given a choice, pick one that forks, as these bloom faster. I also tried the triple Datura 3 times from seed and got zippo for my trouble. I believe some people start them from seed, but I have not been able to. Maybe my seed was bad?? Once I got one triple purple and it only got about 18 inches tall. The ones I saw growing were South of me, but were easily 10 feet tall.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 29, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9318853

Wow 10 ft tall our growing season is shorter would love to see one that big.

My hibiscus are blooming up a storm since I brought them in. I think it was so hot this summer they were not happy at all.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2012
11:11 PM

Post #9319782

girls,,, my triples and doubles and single with dark centers all bloom from seeds, get as large as trees, and come in for winter and go back out in spring.. I have one that is now three years old. They like full sun is all I know.. but there must be some good lighting downstairs, as my triple current is stil bloming and setting pods.. my triple white is at my sisters this is year two for it, and the triple yellow is stil going ather place too. I just planted seeds of that one.. ( inside)
pic 1 is lilac defluer datura stramonium.. i sent everyone seeds of this..
pic 2 is the triple it is inside with pods ripening right now..this pic was taken summer before last.. it went out front this last summer, I keep it in a large popcorn tin with handles LOL

pic 3 is the yellow triple

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife      

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America