CLOSED: Fall Back and Enjoy the Fruits of Your Labors - CHAT

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

This gal greeted shoppers coming in a local grocery store last week. Too cute with her pumpkin head decorated with mostly daisies, statice, and fake sprays. Her arms were made with cinnamon scented brooms. Looked and smelled like Fall in the lobby.

Tell us about your Summer adventures. What grew well? What would you not care to grow again? What would you like to replace? What would you like to have that's new to you?

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

Great to see you again, Ang. If that Canna has red blooms, it's Indica, and is prolific producing seeds and rhizomes. Wonder why it hasn't bloomed yet? Wasn't that 2 years ago I send a box of mixed ones?

(Ang) Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

Big news - my boyfriend proposed this afternoon at his family's BBQ. We, the family, were talking about marriage and he spontaneously decided to proprose. His mom got the ring and he got down on one knee. Up until they got the ring I thought he was joking, mostly because they had teased me a bit earlier, and of course I said yes.

Yes FOTV it was a mix of salmon, a dwarf, indica and a couple others. I only have a couple rhizomes of the indica and the dwarf. I had given a couple away but many had walked off, aka disappeared do to thieves.
I didn't bloom last year because of the location. The wind damaged it greatly so I planted them elsewhere and there they are thriving.

Congrats, Ang! What exciting news for both your families. I'm wishing you all the happiness in the World! You and your son deserve it :)

Pic is Canna 'Yellow King Humbert'

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

Oooh pretty!! If you ever need homes for Cannas let me know lol. I have two more big pots to fill.

This is a picture of the plant from a couple days ago. :D

Thumbnail by tikipod
Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

Oh Ang! That is so exciting. Congratulations!

Looking good and spied a bud too! I started over with Cannas this year and will let you know which extra ones are ready when it's time to dig. This one was supposed to be C. Tropicana, obviously isn't, but did have pretty 'lipstick' Pink blooms. Strange that other rhizomes in the same bag actually were Tropicana. That bed got so weedy in July when it was beyond HOT here but is pretty clean now. Most of those days I just stayed inside under the A/C and missed taking pics of others that bloomed. A few still haven't.

(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

What's left after summer? I'll let you know in about a month. Ha! We're supposed to be 100 for the foreseeable future.

This year, things are so much healthier. Excited about my crinums, my glads, and the natives that are all doing well. I want to get more of the manfredas and plant them around in front of the house. Also excited about my new orchids and epis setup and hoping it's a permanent thing!

Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL(Zone 7b)

Congrats Ang!!!!

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Congratulations Ang!

What grew well? Not much! This heat was so bad a gain this year, and the drought did not help at all! About the only blooms I got were a few morning glories, and a few roses! Supposed to be 104 all this week, if not hotter!

How did I miss the news??!!! CONGRATS Ang!

Life sure is looking up! :D

Still too daggum hot. There's rumors of rain this weekend and cooler temps. Maybe I'll be able to get a few dozen bulbs in the ground.

Thank you everyone. I haven't been this happy since my son was born. He is absolutely fantastic, especially with my son, and has been my best friend for years.

Here is a picture of (from left to right) him, my son and my Dad.

In gardening news - not much has done well. Lost much of the outdoor plants but some has been doing quite well. The Cannas from FOTV have done excellent and has the Begonias, which I've never grown. Some Anise Hyssop is growing quiet well and Catnip, three containers, is doing great.

Thumbnail by tikipod
Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

Ang

I love that picture - you can tell there is real commeraderie between your fiance and your son. Your Dad looks like he is enjoying it too!

So happy for you.

Carolyn

Carolyn, you should see them (my son and fiance) interact. It's already like Father and Son. My fiance is actually his Godfather so he's known him since he was a newborn. My Dad is loving the fact that we are together. I met my fiance in his Sunday school class and actually, I met them both there. (He adopted me.)

I'm going to look at wedding dresses with his Mom and Sister this weekend.

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

Ang

Everyone looks so happy. I have to believe that you are grinning from ear to ear as well. When you find a dress, will you post a picture? Wedding shopping can be fun.

I sure will. I hope it will be fun because I'm a tomboy and dress shopping is a real PITA. I'm not going to bother shopping for shoes, that would be a nightmare in itself. Actually I'm so insanely picky about shoes that it'd be worse so I'm just going to wear Tardis blue Chuck Taylors.

Not sure when our wedding will be. He wants a Spring wedding and I want anything other than a hot summer or freezing winter wedding lol.

Ang, to you know a Roger or Theresa Tate, they live over on Pine road, just a few blocks from you. Their daughters name is Rebekah Morash.

Nope, I don't.

OK, just wondering, since you lived so close. It sure is beautiful where you all live!

Here are a couple new things growing on. I have three new pothos (only two pictured), two spiders, a hibiscus, "Red" maranta, and Lotus seeds germinating.

Thumbnail by tikipod Thumbnail by tikipod Thumbnail by tikipod Thumbnail by tikipod

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1277320/
Just a few more days to add your name to the list for the PJ night gown swap!

I found a dress in under 20 minutes. It was the 2nd dress I tried on. It's on lay away :D
I can't post a picture of me trying it on. I would love to but unfortunately my son had helped with laundry and I couldn't locate my nude colored undergarments and um, you can tell in the picture lol. Brightly colored floral and rainbow could be seen quite clearly.

Such a happy bunch in the pic, Ang. It's obvious how much fun the guys are having, and have had for quite a while. Got a chuckle picturing you in a wedding gown wearing rainbow underwear. I have a friend notorious for wearing black undies under white clothes and always wants to know "Do you think anybody will notice?" lol

Off the top of my head, Columbines were pretty in the Spring and had a crazy one just bloom. Daylilies and Lilies did well but they're sort of a given. Cannas are still growing with a few yet to bloom. Agastache 'Golden Jubilee' did a little too well, been ripping up little seedlings and have seeds galore. A few Hostas were quite striking while others languished. Mums are just starting to flush as are the handful of Asters. Tender Annuals like the tuberous Begonias I rarely have luck with are still blooming. Coleus in part shade did better than usual, now getting leggy and just took cuttings of several in anticipation of our Fall Houseplants / Tropicals swap. We only have another week before sign-ups end and would love to see more of you join us: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1277639/

Fortunately for my wedding I WILL have a pair of nude or 'cafe mocha' colored undergarments that I will keep with my dress to prevent laundry helpers on the big day.

Well FOTV, here it is! It bloomed. It's not the red I expected it to be lol

Thumbnail by tikipod

Official wedding date set - April 27th 2013 :D I thought I'd share.

That seems so soon!!! I hope you're more ready than DH and I were for ours!

Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL(Zone 7b)

Ang,,, our anniversery is the 26 th,,,lol

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

hello all, I have missed a lot I see, miss you all..

Quote from careyana :
That seems so soon!!! I hope you're more ready than DH and I were for ours!

I'll let you know the answer after the wedding.

{{{{{{{DEBRA}}}}}}} Welcome back sweetie! We missed you! Hope things have calmed down for you.

Ang, Well, as long as you get the vows out, it's considered a success. :)

Ang, are you planning a big wedding?

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Congratulations Ang! So excited for you and your son.
Ok you guys that have been married for so long, we need to post our keys to a good marriage for Ang......

Tough though summer in Missouri it is the worst drought in history and almost everything burned up. Funny thing my roses were so happy, got quite a few blooms in fact probably more than any other year....go figure.

Temps have dropped and fall rains have started, I think we have had at least one rain every 5 days starting on Labor day weekend.

Secrets to a good marriage, have trust in your partner, don't lie, be open about everything.

Blackshear, GA

Don't go a day without hugging and saying 'I love you" and don't go to bed angry.

Don't expect perfection. You WILL argue. But as Paula said, don't go to bed angry.

I married my best friend, we are still best friends and will always be best friends, as well as lovers for life. All the afore mentioned things are very very wise things to listen to as advice. I keep an attitude of gratitude that I am blessed by being joeswife.

Thumbnail by joeswife

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it ^_^ I'm nervous and excited.

In unrelated news - I have an african violet. Not sure where to put it. I've never had one of these before.

on a sunny window sill, water only when dry, from the bottom, loves food at waterings.. I don't grow them, but my great aunt effie did, and now paula does..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images