-
AuthorContent
marlinp55
Mount Enterprise, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9262744

Cuttings rooted but seem to be extremely slow in growing. Any good tips on what I might be doing wrong?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9262758

Do they look healthy? You're probably not doing anything wrong--just need a little patience (a hard virtue for us gardeners to master). They will focus on getting a good root system going before they do a lot of anything else so I'd give them time.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

September 3, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9263704

I agree that if the plants are healthy then do nothing but care for them until they have grown plenty of roots, don't put them into a pot that is far too large or you will create problem as the tiny rooted cuttings wont want to sit in a large amount of compost / soil that holds a lot of water, just a small pot will do, when the plant has made enough roots to show that the plants REALLY needs to go into a bigger pot, then just move up say, about 1-2 sizes of pots, repeat this over the winter months and by early spring, you should have lovely mature plants to set outside either in tubs or beds, whichever area you choose to plant them in, feed the plants only when they have a good amount of roots to take up half strength liquid feed till they are ready for outside final planting position and then you can add maybe a multi purpose feed to the soil in the bed or tubs etc.
I always remove any flower buds that form on cuttings as these flowers will take energy the cutting need for making good roots, after your happy with good root system then allow flowers to grow.
Good luck. WeeNel.
marlinp55
Mount Enterprise, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9266379

Yes, they do look healthy and one has a little new growth. I guess I just expected them to shoot up once they got started, have to try to start exercising a little more of that patience I guess. And I have probably transplanted them into some pots that are a bit large. Should I attempt to transplant again or leave them for now? Thanks much for all the good advice.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

September 10, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #9270809

If the plants are happy, I would not do another transplant, however IF the pots are really big, just go ahead and pot down a size or two pot's. if you have only just recently potted into large pots and you do disturb the new plants make sure you do this in a cooler area and try water the new size potted plants from the bottom, I stick my potted up plants in a basin of water a few at a time, let them sit there till the soil goes darker as this indicates the soil has taken up water, allow the pots to drain and don't water again till the soil feels dry to touch by sticking finger into soil and if dry, water, if not leave watering for a day or two.
Don't give any feeding until there are lots of roots or you could allow rot to get into the plants and new cuttings don't really require any feeding till there is a good bit of top growth, I also don't let water to get on the foliage of new cuttings as the tender new leaves ect don't like wet on the foliage unless you just mist them and Geraniums have little hairs on the foliage that can hold onto the water droplets for too long.
Hope this helps you out a little and you can enjoy lot's of new plants for next year By the way, you can do lots of other cuttings the same way and this is the best time to do it, just make sure you use good healthy material and best if the stems you cut for cuttings have not flowered, should little flower buds be there, remove them as they will use up energy that the plant needs for making roots.
Good luck, WeeNel

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America