Photo by Melody

Garden Pests and Diseases: Coreid Bugs attacking bamboo. Bug spray is not working!

Communities > Forums > Garden Pests and Diseases
bookmark
Forum: Garden Pests and DiseasesReplies: 7, Views: 87
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
khooleo
Petaling Jaya
Malaysia

September 2, 2012
11:44 PM

Post #9262977

About a week ago we began noticing these bugs on young bamboo shoot. The original bamboo clump which is about 3 years old and has never been attacked before. The new shoot is about half a foot away from the main clump.

They are also attracting ants with the liquid they secrete and the bamboo shoot is stunted. We tried spraying them with conventional bug spray but they come back after a day or so. I have seen nymphs small and large,some developing wings and a whopping adult. (shown on pic attached.)

Please help and thanks in advance. I do not know if garbage enzyme works but my batch is only ready in 2 month's time. Gah!

Thumbnail by khooleo   Thumbnail by khooleo
Click an image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9273000

I found some info on ID and control for insect pests in bamboo. perhaps it will be of use to you.

http://www.inbar.int/publication/PDF/chinabamboofinalPARTii.pdf
IamYam
Pompano Beach, FL

September 13, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9274009

If the ants are feeding on the secretions then they will develop a mutualistic relationship with them by offering protection to the coreid bugs. For the ants you can use Tanglefoot.

Here's a link on controlling coreid bugs - http://www.pir.sa.gov.au/forestry/forestry_publications_index/forest_health_information/factSheets/sap-sucking_bugs_1_coreid_bugs
bigdaddie
Sevierville, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2012
12:08 PM

Post #9275158

I found something that looks like this bug. I used the link from THEMOONHOWL and the drawing is close C.Notobitus montanus. The problem is I found them on my tomatoes, several on a fruit and one on a branch (captured this one). They didn't fly but dropped down to the ground. Local co-op recommended using pyritherins for control. Anybody have any ideas? Oh I am in Tennesse by the Smokies

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9275205

Here is a bit of info for you, Bigdaddy.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5482325_kill-leaf-footed-bugs-naturally.html

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/pests/plant_pests/veg_fruit/hgic2218.html ( Scroll down for info)

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r783300211.html

TrumpetFlowerz

TrumpetFlowerz
Ft Myers, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 22, 2013
7:41 AM

Post #9427728

Your first link, Moonhowl, describes in step 4 about planting milkweed to attract ladybugs. This actually does work! I plant many species of milkweeds to
attract various butterflies (especially monarchs). Ever since starting the beds, about 3 years ago, I have seen a significant rise in the amount of ladybugs
on all of my garden plants. Only bad side is the milkweeds also attract the red and black asclepias bug. I've read in the past several posts
that say they do not harm the asclepias, but that is false information. In numbers, they suck enough sap to completely weaken the stalk of asclepias they
are preying on. After that, they enmasse on the forming seedpods and can keep them from forming
proper seeds. They also interrupt the monarch caterpillars from getting to more leaves/food sources. You have to be careful killing them (squish squish!) because the
ladybug lions are similar in colors and often found amongst the asclepias juniors, preying on them. Good thing is, the asclepias bugs threaten no other garden plants
that I have found.
But all in all, for those only wanting to get a large group of ladybugs started, the asclepias plants will in fact attract them in-and keep them around year round
in my climate.

This message was edited Feb 22, 2013 11:45 AM
khooleo
Petaling Jaya
Malaysia

February 24, 2013
8:02 PM

Post #9430487

5 months down the road and am happy to report that the coreid problem is gone. It took a while and I resisted posting until I was certain. I was at the same link moonowl had given. I transplanted some assassin bugs from my bunga telan (Clitoria ternatea) bush. I placed them on the higher levels of my bamboo. They wiped out the invasion in 2 weeks. The second batch came in mid-Dec when a new bamboo shoot appeared from the ground. The Assassins wiped them our in 3 days. None have appeared since.

Thank you all for your help.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2013
5:05 AM

Post #9430664

Too Cool. Glad the assassin bugs did the trick.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Pests and Diseases Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hollyhock Rust ??? snuggles 8 Feb 25, 2008 1:41 PM
Pests: Calling all slug experts! (Not for the faint of heart) candleberry 162 Jun 18, 2014 7:41 AM
PROOF that milk kills mildew Wintermoor 26 Jun 26, 2007 4:54 PM
These ants are a bane Dinu 18 Nov 13, 2007 5:18 PM
Getting rid of yellow jackets ButterflyGardnr 23 Jun 18, 2009 2:34 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America