Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Ask A Gardener: Your Gardening Questions Answered: Tomatoes won't ripen

Communities > Forums > Article: Ask A Gardener: Your Gardening Questions Answered
bookmark
Forum: Article: Ask A Gardener: Your Gardening Questions AnsweredReplies: 1, Views: 19
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
trudeman
Gallatin Gateway, MT

September 3, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9263173

I live in Montana where summer nights often drop into the 50s, but soar into the 90s during the day. I built a small greenhouse for my tomatoes. They grow nice and big, but don't ripen. It's September now, and I have these huge green tomatoes in my greenhouse, but they will not turn red. Please advise.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9264294

What are the days to maturity for your specific tomato? Each variety takes a different amount of time to ripen. Even with a greenhouse, you should choose varieties with lower number of days to maturity. They will ripen...even tomatoes picked green will eventually ripen. I'm afraid there isn't much you can do to hasten the process.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Ask A Gardener: Your Gardening Questions Answered Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Indoor Gardening try, try again! critterologist 2 Sep 3, 2012 3:01 PM
spider lilies drapes 0 Sep 4, 2012 7:44 AM
dahlias .. MarilynneS 1 Jun 3, 2014 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America