Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Hypertufa 101: Mixing, Molding, and Making Your Container: How heavy?

Communities > Forums > Article: Hypertufa 101: Mixing, Molding, and Making Your Container
bookmark
Forum: Article: Hypertufa 101: Mixing, Molding, and Making Your ContainerReplies: 3, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pastapicker
Columbus, OH

September 3, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9263183

I was wondering how heavy a finished pot would be -- compared to, say, an equivalent sized clay pot? Or one of those foam stuff types? Heavier or lighter?

I have avoided clay and pottery because I just can't manage the weight. I love the idea of these for my potted fruit trees, but if they are as heavy they just won't work for me!
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

September 3, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9263274

By the time you get the fruit tree in any pot with the soil it needs, you are talking heavy!!!!!!

Hypertufa is not all that heavy, but it isn't styrofoam light either.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9263541

The ones I've made seem maybe a little bit lighter than a ceramic pot of similar size, although I haven't weighed them. But I wouldn't want to move big ones around... For potted fruit trees and such I've pretty much gone to the molded poly pots... the double wall plastic ones and the styrofoam-like ones are often very attractive. Costco had some that I liked this spring for $20, too. :-)
pastapicker
Columbus, OH

September 10, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9271132

Thanks to you both! I can manage to bring in my potted citrus for the winter, and shift the only slightly larger pots with the blueberries. They are in the styrofoam type. I now have some dwarf fruit trees that I will need to put into larger pots next spring... and this sounds like a nice option

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Hypertufa 101: Mixing, Molding, and Making Your Container Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Finally going to do it Oberon46 13 Sep 3, 2012 1:21 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America