Photo by Melody

Cacti and Succulents: Heat affecting cacti blooms?

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 13, Views: 130
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 3, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9263186

I am finding that the flowers of several of my cacti that flower in the summer seem to be affected by the heat. With some, the buds get to full size but do not open or open only a little and by the next day don't open at all.
Or as an example, the picture is Echinopsis 'Los Angeles' on July 20th. I don't know if it is visible but the flowers are about half the normal size and the edges nearest the outside of the bud are wilty even when it opens.
I wondered if anyone else has experienced this frustration in the extreme heat.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Click the image for an enlarged view.

48flash
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 3, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9263285

Hello Nancy. Yes I am seeing the same thing especially on Echinopsis hybrids. The blooms are very small and in my case barely last 3/4 of the day. Many blooms don't fully open. But take heart, fall is only 4-5 weeks away

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2012
12:21 PM

Post #9263482

The ones I have in the sun were doing the same thing. The ones on the porch are doing better. I have not had one bloom on my E. fuzzy navel. The buds fall off. Twice the bloom has came all the way out and then wilts. It never opened.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus   Thumbnail by smashedcactus         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

mcvansoest
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 3, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9263560

Hi Nancy,

as discussed in a different post I definitely see that. Attached 3 pictures of one of my Echinopsis huashas. The first one is a beautiful flower in spring the second is of the same plant with mid summer flowers that are wilted immediately upon opening and the third is of the same cactus with flowers during the monsoon, which while not wilted are completely off on their color. I have another E. huasha that does exactly the same thing, there I can actually have bright red flowers that are on the part of the plant that is more in the shade, at the same time as these bleached looking flowers on the part of the cactus that gets more sun. I have also seen the 'smaller flowers' effect on the Echinopsis xLos Angeles and Echinopsis eyriesii, which has also shown the wilting upon opening. The 'wilting upon opening' effect I have seen on several other unidentified E. hybrids in my yard that see a lot of sun.

Thumbnail by mcvansoest   Thumbnail by mcvansoest   Thumbnail by mcvansoest      

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9264551

Thanks so much for the responses. Not that I want to wish it on you all too. I'm just glad I'm not the only one that is having it happen. I've had buds fall off that I blamed on the heat but never noticed the flowers that do open being so affected. Yes, I can't wait for fall to come along. Of course, most of the cacti are not blooming then. When I started collecting cacti one of the reasons is that I thought I'd have a plant with flowers that can take the summer heat in Phoenix. It has been a real learning experience to find that non-native cacti are not immune to the effects of the high temperatures.

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

September 12, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9273405

Nancy, our daytime temps are in the low 80's and these lasted 1 1/2 days. The bad thing is that I only have one more bloom coming on these.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9275281

A day and a half. That's really good. I have 3 big buds on mine today that should open soon. I can't wait to see if they are okay this time. The weather is cooling some especially at night. It is 100 during day, but nights are in the 70s so should be better.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9278367

The buds on my E. 'Los Angeles' did open and were perfect. The temps are down at night into the low 70's so it is happy ... and so am I.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ   Thumbnail by NancySLAZ   Thumbnail by NancySLAZ      

Minime8484
Chandler, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 17, 2012
9:22 PM

Post #9278433

I'm so jealous, Nancy! I've had my Echinopsis 'Los Angeles' for two years now, and it doesn't ever show a hint of being interested in blooming...that despite the fact it looks fat and happy!
Yours is a beauty!
mcvansoest
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 18, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9278775

Hi Minime848: how much sun does your 'Los Angeles' get? In the Echinopsi that I have I have noticed a distinct relationship between sun exposure and blooming. I have several that are more or less is full shade for all but the a couple of hours of sun very early in the morning and those rarely if ever bloom. Then I have a bunch of them including a couple of 'Los Angeles' that get 4-6 hours of sun in the morning to early afternoon and a few with 3-4 hours of later afternoon to sunset sun that are very regular steady bloomers.

Both my 'LAs' bloomed this weekend and the blooms lasted almost two full days, but for some reason I did not get a picture. I also had nice blooms on E. huasha that lasted almost 3 full days of looking good.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 18, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9278798

My plant is under a tree and it only get morning indirect light. However, I've noticed that since I started feeding my Echinopsis with Miracle Gro Tomato plant food spring through summer they are blooming more. You might try that. My flowers only last 18 to 24 hours on my Echinopsis at this time of year. Sometimes in the cool spring they go longer.
mcvansoest
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 18, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9279489

Hi NancySLAZ, that is a good point, I do regularly feed those Echinopsi, also with some Micracle Gro, but I also feed those in the shade, but possibly less often as those are in smaller pots on shelves, which I tend to feed using a watering can instead of hose with spray feeder attachment, that I use for the larger pots that get more sun.
I did get a rare bloom in this E. x 'Royal Red' last week that I caught in the morning before heading out to work, which was done by the time I got back.

Has anybody noticed if flowers from non hybrid Echinopsis plants last longer than those from hybrids? I have wondered about that as I have observed that what was sold to me as a non hybrid E. huasha with red flowers tends to have its flowers last longer than a E. huasha hybrid with white flowers, which I bought at the same time and which are growing next to each other under the same conditions and except for the flower you would not be able to tell the difference between them.

Thumbnail by mcvansoest

Minime8484
Chandler, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 18, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #9279570

I guess I need to fertilize mine a bit more frequently!
Thanks all!

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9279897

I just want to mention that you want to use MG TOMATO plant food as opposed to regular MG.

I'm not sure about hybrid vs non-hybrid Echinopsis. I'll have to keep a lookout on that.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America