Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Vegetables: Yellow squash/zucchini success!

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 8, Views: 55
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
milesdt
Pulaski, GA

September 3, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9263401

I'm one of those gardeners who has complained and complained about squash vine borers. I had tried EVERYTHING I had ever heard about or read about, on this forum and other places. The vine borers got my summer squash every time. I had just about given up when I decided to try something one more time. Had tried it before with no success.

I'm talking about planting white icicle radishes next to the squash and zucchini. I think the reason it had not worked before was that I had not planted enough radishes. This time I planted squash and zucchini in rows and alternated squash -- icicle radish -- squash -- icicle radish, etc. This time it worked. I had more summer squash and zucchini that I knew what to do with. I have 7 squash casseroles in the freezer for the winter! And lots of zucchini bread (until we ate it recently).

I hope this is not just a fluke. Will try it again next summer and see if the success repeats itself.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 4, 2012
10:57 PM

Post #9265393

Congratulations!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9265689

milesdt,
do you have a picture of what you are describing please?

A while ago I also try to plant radishes between the zucchini, but the zucchini plants grew so big that they went over the radishes.
50% of the radishes did dye and 50% did bolt because of the heat ... then the SVB came ...

So I am curios to see how you did manage your planting space.
Also, which growing month are your talking about?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9265757

Milesdt,
Why does this method work against the SVB?

Linda

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 5, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9265790

He probably has a traditional garden of at least 50' x 30' guys, and radishes are a nurse crop like sunflowers, his rows could be 3' apart, or even 2.5'. We didn't get radishes, but did get a lot of radish tops where I live, can't say that I was there to pay Attention to em

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9265803

So, Kitt, the SVB go after the radishes instead of the squashes?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 5, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9265978

Not one I've done- I poison, losing battle where I live, I would have to go google to remember the bugs it suckers
milesdt
Pulaski, GA

September 7, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9268463

Gymgirl, I don't know why the icicle radishes work. Was hoping someone on this list would know. I'm just wondering if the smell of the radish leaves/plant keeps away the flying insect (I think it's a black and orange wasp-looking thing) that lays the eggs on the squash plants that become vine borers.

Drthor, my radish plants and squash plants overlapped and grew all over each other. Maybe that helped to keep away the vine borers. The radishes are a sacrifice. They aren't being grown to eat, but just to keep away the SVB. I let the radish plants go to seed and then saved the seed for next year. In my zone, radishes are a winter vegie anyway.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9268562

Ok, this isn't complete and scientifically worded, but here goes. Daikon radishes are part of the brassicas, like mustard, rape, etc. They help reduce soil compaction, work as a non legume nitrogen fixer, among other good nutrients, smother weeds, winter killed, are an edible compost, and break down into 'sulfur' based glucosinates, they may draw harlequin bugs! But also can help control nematodes, and like garlic, onions, hot peppers, marigolds they can repulse some bugs, whew, there is more info on them as a cover crop than I can remember!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America