Tropical garden #125

Red Oak, TX

Everyone is welcome to post pictures of their tropical plants and gardens, for all to enjoy, discuss and identify if needed.

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1275837/

Picture of Plumeria Maya from texasbigleaves
Snail vine from phughes
Dragon fruit bloom

Thumbnail by prita Thumbnail by prita Thumbnail by prita Thumbnail by prita Thumbnail by prita
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Great idea, KayJones. That's a lovely picture of you.

Wish I had a nice picture of myself, but I'm always the one behind the camera. All I have are pictures where I'm covered with hats and sunglasses like this one taken at a concert up in BC a couple of weeks ago. My DH just turned 60 the day before this was taken. I am also 60, last March. Redheads must keep the sun off . ..

Rita, those are all lovelies, esp the frilly Hibiscus. Glad your red hib is doing great, you should have some flowers starting pretty soon on there, and if the winter's not too cold it will re-seed. Don't be afraid to prune it to make it whatever shape you want. This one shot up a single stem to about 9ft. tall while we were on vacation. I cut it down to 3ft about 3 weeks ago and here it is going crazy again.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Huntersville, NC(Zone 7b)

Beautiful plants everyone... for the umteenth time! So sorry, but, I have been really busy preparing for a Miami road trip.

Thumbnail by homer1958
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Elaine, you are lovely! Your handsome hubby seems easy on the eyes, too! LOL

I'll post my picture again - on this thread, too, when I can get on 'my' computer - Grandson is playing a game on mine right now.

A good-looking group has formed here - keep the pictures coming!

O.k., here's my picture again, taken on Mother's Day of this year:

Thumbnail by KayJones
(Zone 9a)

What pretty people we have here. Like Elaine I am always the one behind the camera so pics of me are few and far between - with good reason usually, I am the grandma on this forum! RIght now I have two black eyes from some minor eye surgery, that would make a scary picture. LOL

Miami??? Drew, I see Fairchild in your future and maybe a side trip to Homestead too. There is also a neat nursery near Cassie's house but I am too old to remember the name of it. LOL

Huntersville, NC(Zone 7b)

International Aroid Socety Convention...

Alice, you're not the only Gramma - I have 4 Grandkids and one due in December!!!!

(Zone 9a)

LOL, I meant I am the oldest or, as some of my friends like to say, "more seasoned." .

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Well aged is another I've heard.

Drew, the Aroid convention sounds fun, you'll probably meet the real, live LariAnn in person. A gen-u-wine plant celebrity! But . . uumm, your picture shows you in Seattle . . . Miami was at the other corner of the country last I looked!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
(Zone 9a)

Drew, I am excited for you, nothing better than these gatherings where you meet up with like minded others. You will probably get a few freebies but you will also come home with a much lighter wallet, so many cool plants in one space. LOL

Blackshear, GA

Drew,
We were just at Pikes Place Market about a month ago...loved it! Did you not love all the fresh flowers? Huge bouquets for $10-15, if I lived there I would go broke! I saw the Aroid convention and thought about going. I would really love to, but I am trying to get some cuttings going for the yard sale. Everyone prepare...what I don't sale, I will need someone to buy, trade, or just adopt them. I do not have room to keep them over the winter. Right now I have about 10 trays that hold 15-4 in. pots and some other things and I'm just getting started. I dug up a ton of asclepias , butterfly weed this weekend - red/yellow and solid yellow. Gonna pot them up and sell them. My only concern is its really the wrong time of year, but who knows, thats why I am putting most of them in 4 in. pots, then they can keep them in the house for the winter.

I'll try to post pics of my 'finds' this past weeked..got some bargains.

Paula, I hope your butterfly weeds do better than mine have - the spider mites have just devastated them - they only have a few leaves and a couple of blooms - they look aweful!

Blackshear, GA

Kay,
These things have gone nuts this year. No, haven't had any problem with spider mites considering we have had rain almost everyday for the last month or so. Some are huge!

Here is some of what I got this weekend.
First - always wanted this, has such pretty leaves. Does anyone know what it is? Person at the nursery said in the Ficus family.

Second - all these were .25 marked down. Somehow they all jumped in my buggy.

Third - espicias

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066 Thumbnail by GAgirl1066 Thumbnail by GAgirl1066 Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Paula,
I believe what you have in the first pic is Excoecaria cochinchinensis 'Firestorm'

I have one I grow in a hanging basket.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/113766/

Isn't it amazing how these darned plants can JUMP?!! I can't push a cart around in garden centers because when I get to the checkout, I find that plants have jumped into my cart, even when I TOLD THEM I already have 1,2 or 3 of you and don't need another, but they won't listen - that's how I ended up with 20 Plumeria plants named 'Devine'! I'm gonna stop acquiring plants - I REALLY am - just not today!

Blackshear, GA

Thank you MJ....this one is in a hanging basket also. It was wilted and looking puny on the mark down table at a nursery. But I've always thought they were pretty, so I decided to rescue him. Now reading up on it,,seems to be posionous....but also has many medicinal purposes. Does it bother you any? Have you tried to propagate it?

Blackshear, GA

I agree Kay....just not today!!! LOL

(Zone 9a)

There comes a point however where the plants own you. That is where I am right now and it does make me think about how I want to live my life. We have been thinking of buying a little place in the NC mountains while the real estate market is so low. It would initially be for vacations so we could get away from the heat and mosquitoes for a few months during the summer.

As I look around the garden however, leaving it for months rather than weeks on end seems daunting to me and I have far fewer plants than most of you do. Even though I have an automated irrigation system with a good rain gauge so it won't run uneccessarily, and an automated drip system for the containers, I can't imagine leaving the routine maintenance to some landscaper, most of them around here are pitiful. I've successfully left it for about 2 weeks but more than that gives me the willies.

Just like my dog (who also owns ME), I love my plants so in a way it is a good problem to have.

Blackshear, GA

Alice,
I know how you feel...I am the same way. Sometimes I feel like that is all I do, take care of my plants. BUT, I do love it and them, so its not really a chore, but it does take up more time than it should. But, good news, My husband has decided to hire two guys to come help me this Saturday (part of my bday)...help me plant all my plants and pull weeds.They will mostly dig the holes.....can't say I trust them to actually plant them.

Right now I am trying to combine several plants into one container, because I have so many and its easier to water one pot rather than 5 or 6.

Paula, got my "Firestorm" as a tiny cutting. Took awhile to root.

Rita - Did I read that right ? You grow your Philo Rising Sun in the ground ? What do you do when it freezes there...zone 8 I think you are.
I'd love to put it in the ground here.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

LoL, I'll jump on that bandwagon with the people whose plants and pets "own" them. I tell my kids I'll come and house/pet sit for them, but not for more than a week unless DH will be home to supervise the garden and the cat.

Anyone have experience with this one - Sinningia tubiflora? I got one little tuber at Tropiflora last year. It made a small plant and sat still until I hid it away in the garden. Just went out to rescue it, and here it is going nuts, trailing nearly 3ft. out of the pot. No flowers yet, does it need more light? It's supposed to make fragrant white tubular flowers, and bloom readily in the shade . ..

Second pic, another Thai Caladium mix from HD on sale. Can't resist them.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
(Zone 9a)

I love sinningias and mine do like sun. I have the S. sellovii and a Bananas Foster and Scarlet o'Hara. I find they are slow starters but the leaves on them are usually pretty by themselves. PDN has a good selection.

Blackshear, GA

RITA.
Does this look familiar? You sent it to me 2 years ago and obiviously it has been neglected, because it hasn't bloomed. I just have a tag that says 'prita 2010'. I was wondering if you knew what it was.

Drew,
Can you ID the following Colocasia? When I bought it..it was about 3 ft high and the leaves were probably 6-8 inches. I let it dry out and now its coming back. I divided it today, because there was probably 10 pups in a gal. pot. A mini version..but can you tell which one it is? Leaves are slightly ruffled.

3 &4
What I have been up to lately...cuttings and divisions.

Huge Philo leaf

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066 Thumbnail by GAgirl1066 Thumbnail by GAgirl1066 Thumbnail by GAgirl1066 Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Ack, thanks Alice, you enabler you! I went and looked on the Plant Delights site to see what they said about Sinningias - what a treat! I may need to order a few more this fall . . . and the Salvias!! Anyway, the one cultivar they have that has mine as a parent says 'Sun to Part Sun' so I guess I'd better ease this baby into some more light.

Blackshear, GA

More pics

Philo 'cheescake' loves all the rain we've been getting
2 - pretty orchid
3 - another 'mini' orchid
4 - finally divided my 'queen Emma'
5 - crested cactus

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066 Thumbnail by GAgirl1066 Thumbnail by GAgirl1066 Thumbnail by GAgirl1066 Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

Couple of planters by the pool

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066 Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

very nice display of lovely plants. I am glad to know about the Sinningia tubifloras, they own me, like all the rest, but as long as they are giving me a smile, I'll keep on doing what I do..mixing prennials with the tropicals.. bringing tropicals in when I have to. multi planting in one container is the best thing to do here.. especially since I work all day and can't tend to them until the heat has taken all the sap outta stuff.. basement has brugs blooming and the calico vine, chalice vine and other tender tropicals in it already.. slowly but surely.. Paula your containers look much more glamourous than mine > beautiful..
I have been choosing my sings from that same site, Elaine.
KayJones , you are a loverly lady, and have a heart of gold to boot.
Drew ur a handsome man, and very entertaining as well! Elaine, that is a great shot of you two.. I just love this group. Alice, I found Don outside in the oleander pot.. hmmm, I must have set him down while I was undoing the shelf across the way out there, anyway, it has another leaf stem (stalk?) with leaves. one of my tall Angel wings downstairs just finished flushing, I have posted her so much I didn't snap her this time.. the others are budding down there..My Basement is going to be way tropical this winter, with lights and paper and all kinds of changes.. even a pond, I am so kacited.

Rita.. the floss flower tree is blooming! it has been under the big lilac all summer, no mites, no yellow leaves, no squirrels in it and in the same pot as it has been for ever since you sent it.
KayJones, I have stuff to send you I started from seed, it is still too hot I think to send anything.
Been collecting seeds for everyone I have promised seeds to..
Sister is doing well I think, inspite of all the stuff she is enduring..
And Paula, I hire someone I have trained to care for my stuff if Joe and I are both gone at the same time, he is 14. I don't like to panic when I leave, but I do..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

an outside view of my backyard paradise..
floss flower tree from Rita
new moon flower from last year
one of my container areas
blooming in that container in the am

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Blackshear, GA

Love the pics Debra! What is the plant in the third pic with the white flowers? Very pretty!

I have a silk floss tree...is that the same thing. It needs to be repottted, its not doing much. How old was yours before it started blooming?

Tried to find my giant milkweed yesterday, and couldn't. I am going to be upset if I have lost it. I'm sure I just moved it and forgot where I put it.

Debra, thank you, but YOU are the one that has the heart of gold - you'd send your first-born if someone asked for her! I got a call from Sherry last night - she got her plant that she wanted from me and is happy and says she's feeling pretty good - LOVE HER!

All you folks' flowers put mine to shame - GORGEOUS!

Red Oak, TX

Hello everyone!!!

Kay Jones, you are so photogenic!

It sure is great to see all the beauties of summer. Gosh, I wish I was going to the Aroid show, how nice for Drew. I have a feeling that Rachel will be there.

dyzzy, that is a nice picture of you and your dh. My honey and I are the same age as well (61yrs) and have been married for 37yrs. Unfortunately we do not have the same hobbies, he hates gardening.
I am planning to trim the red hibiscus back before I put it in the gh, I am enjoying the bright splash of color it provides. Paula has a nice size red hibiscus growing by her pool as well.
I am still checking my HD for those caladiums, they are unusual which I like.

ardesia, I hope that you are healing nicely from your eye surgery.

GAgirl1066, thanks for the pictures. I wish I was closer, it would be a pleasure to help you play with your plants. It is fun just checking all the stuff shown in your pictures. The plant you inquired of is a Cestrum from joeswife in the first picture.

Variegated Abutilon from rj. I thought I would lose it to scale but I use Debra's rubbing alcohol and Q-tip method and removed them all (I hope).

Thumbnail by prita Thumbnail by prita Thumbnail by prita Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

I always get so excited seeing y'alls pictures. I will try to keep my ramblings to a minimum.

mjsponies, I have most of my Philos in the hoop house planted in the ground. I try to keep it no lower than 55 degrees in the winter. Maybe with a little protection, yours will make it . I would see what candida has to say concerning overwintering your Philo's.

Joeswife, Those are some very nice shots of your plants. I particularly like that you got the powderpuff plant to bloom for you. It came from phughes. It will bloom two or three times a year and is a great little plant. My fingers are crossed that you will get a Chalice vine bloom this fall.

Thumbnail by prita Thumbnail by prita Thumbnail by prita Thumbnail by prita Thumbnail by prita
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Rita, lol, you and I certainly are contemporaries. My dh and I celebrated 37 years of marriage yesterday. (well, we didn't actually 'celebrate' yet - he's out drilling holes in the bottom of the Indian Ocean, but he sent his love) He doesn't like gardening either, but will help me with a big project if I ask nicely.

Speaking of love, that variegated Abutilon is just gorgeous. Do the flowers open up wide like my little ones? (see below) I had no idea the plants would get that big! I started several colors from seed this spring, thinking maybe they'd be annuals . . . shows what I know!

My purple Achimenes are showing a new feature, stripes in the throat. Doesn't make up for the fact that they're supposed to be "light blue with a white eye" mind you!

I have a new stem of flowers starting on my Spathoglottis, funny little ground orchids.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
(Zone 9a)

Yesterday? My anniversary was yesterday too, 48 years here. We did not celebrate much either and Phil was home. LOL

gosh.. happy anniversary to all of you! Very rare to see people married for more than a couple years these days. I am grateful for my Joe, He doesn't like Gardening flowers, but he sure loves to grow vegetables, and take pictures of my flowers.. the bigger and unusual the leaf, the more he likes them..

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Gardeners are special people, right? I think it keeps us balanced, and makes us patient. So we make good partners.

I broke down and bought some white Curcumas. Anybody know if they keep putting up new stems like the other gingers do?

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

Going on 31 years here...with a divorce in between...Don't ask...it's a things Come around kinda thing. Two stubborn people...
4th of July this year.
I love him dearly, even if he does drive me nuts sometimes.

Rita, ok now that makes sense with the Philo's. No I don't think I can get away with putting them in the ground here. No hoop house
to plant them in. A tiny 12x10 greenhouse and an extra bathroom or in the big barn depending on what they need.
Ummm, may just try to attach to a cool looking piece of driftwood I have...then can hang in the barn when the temps dip.

This message was edited Sep 6, 2012 8:45 PM

Thumbnail by mjsponies

Martha, I knew what you looked like - beautiful - but, look at that handsome guy sitting next to you - did you rob the cradle?!!!! LOL Love ya, Lady Bug!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images