Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Tropical Plants: Tropical garden #125

Communities > Forums > Tropical Plants
bookmark
Forum: Tropical PlantsReplies: 164, Views: 2,038
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
prita
Red Oak, TX

September 3, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #9263420

Everyone is welcome to post pictures of their tropical plants and gardens, for all to enjoy, discuss and identify if needed.

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1275837/

Picture of Plumeria Maya from texasbigleaves
Snail vine from phughes
Dragon fruit bloom

Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita
Click an image for an enlarged view.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 3, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9263505

Great idea, KayJones. That's a lovely picture of you.

Wish I had a nice picture of myself, but I'm always the one behind the camera. All I have are pictures where I'm covered with hats and sunglasses like this one taken at a concert up in BC a couple of weeks ago. My DH just turned 60 the day before this was taken. I am also 60, last March. Redheads must keep the sun off . ..

Rita, those are all lovelies, esp the frilly Hibiscus. Glad your red hib is doing great, you should have some flowers starting pretty soon on there, and if the winter's not too cold it will re-seed. Don't be afraid to prune it to make it whatever shape you want. This one shot up a single stem to about 9ft. tall while we were on vacation. I cut it down to 3ft about 3 weeks ago and here it is going crazy again.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy         

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 3, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9263521

Beautiful plants everyone... for the umteenth time! So sorry, but, I have been really busy preparing for a Miami road trip.

Thumbnail by homer1958
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 3, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9263525

Elaine, you are lovely! Your handsome hubby seems easy on the eyes, too! LOL

I'll post my picture again - on this thread, too, when I can get on 'my' computer - Grandson is playing a game on mine right now.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 3, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9263526

A good-looking group has formed here - keep the pictures coming!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 3, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9263625

O.k., here's my picture again, taken on Mother's Day of this year:

Thumbnail by KayJones

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 3, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9263635

What pretty people we have here. Like Elaine I am always the one behind the camera so pics of me are few and far between - with good reason usually, I am the grandma on this forum! RIght now I have two black eyes from some minor eye surgery, that would make a scary picture. LOL

Miami??? Drew, I see Fairchild in your future and maybe a side trip to Homestead too. There is also a neat nursery near Cassie's house but I am too old to remember the name of it. LOL
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 3, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9263731

International Aroid Socety Convention...
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 3, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9263787

Alice, you're not the only Gramma - I have 4 Grandkids and one due in December!!!!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 3, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9263834

LOL, I meant I am the oldest or, as some of my friends like to say, "more seasoned." .

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 3, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9263869

Well aged is another I've heard.

Drew, the Aroid convention sounds fun, you'll probably meet the real, live LariAnn in person. A gen-u-wine plant celebrity! But . . uumm, your picture shows you in Seattle . . . Miami was at the other corner of the country last I looked!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2012
4:49 AM

Post #9264264

Drew, I am excited for you, nothing better than these gatherings where you meet up with like minded others. You will probably get a few freebies but you will also come home with a much lighter wallet, so many cool plants in one space. LOL
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 4, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9264837

Drew,
We were just at Pikes Place Market about a month ago...loved it! Did you not love all the fresh flowers? Huge bouquets for $10-15, if I lived there I would go broke! I saw the Aroid convention and thought about going. I would really love to, but I am trying to get some cuttings going for the yard sale. Everyone prepare...what I don't sale, I will need someone to buy, trade, or just adopt them. I do not have room to keep them over the winter. Right now I have about 10 trays that hold 15-4 in. pots and some other things and I'm just getting started. I dug up a ton of asclepias , butterfly weed this weekend - red/yellow and solid yellow. Gonna pot them up and sell them. My only concern is its really the wrong time of year, but who knows, thats why I am putting most of them in 4 in. pots, then they can keep them in the house for the winter.

I'll try to post pics of my 'finds' this past weeked..got some bargains.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 4, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9265074

Paula, I hope your butterfly weeds do better than mine have - the spider mites have just devastated them - they only have a few leaves and a couple of blooms - they look aweful!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 5, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9265464

Kay,
These things have gone nuts this year. No, haven't had any problem with spider mites considering we have had rain almost everyday for the last month or so. Some are huge!

Here is some of what I got this weekend.
First - always wanted this, has such pretty leaves. Does anyone know what it is? Person at the nursery said in the Ficus family.

Second - all these were .25 marked down. Somehow they all jumped in my buggy.

Third - espicias

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 5, 2012
4:57 AM

Post #9265483

Paula,
I believe what you have in the first pic is Excoecaria cochinchinensis 'Firestorm'

I have one I grow in a hanging basket.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/113766/
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 5, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9265545

Isn't it amazing how these darned plants can JUMP?!! I can't push a cart around in garden centers because when I get to the checkout, I find that plants have jumped into my cart, even when I TOLD THEM I already have 1,2 or 3 of you and don't need another, but they won't listen - that's how I ended up with 20 Plumeria plants named 'Devine'! I'm gonna stop acquiring plants - I REALLY am - just not today!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 5, 2012

Post #9265546

Thank you MJ...this one is in a hanging basket also. It was wilted and looking puny on the mark down table at a nursery. But I've always thought they were pretty, so I decided to rescue him. Now reading up on it,,seems to be posionous...but also has many medicinal purposes. Does it bother you any? Have you tried to propagate it?
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 5, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9265548

I agree Kay...just not today!!! LOL
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9265621

There comes a point however where the plants own you. That is where I am right now and it does make me think about how I want to live my life. We have been thinking of buying a little place in the NC mountains while the real estate market is so low. It would initially be for vacations so we could get away from the heat and mosquitoes for a few months during the summer.

As I look around the garden however, leaving it for months rather than weeks on end seems daunting to me and I have far fewer plants than most of you do. Even though I have an automated irrigation system with a good rain gauge so it won't run uneccessarily, and an automated drip system for the containers, I can't imagine leaving the routine maintenance to some landscaper, most of them around here are pitiful. I've successfully left it for about 2 weeks but more than that gives me the willies.

Just like my dog (who also owns ME), I love my plants so in a way it is a good problem to have.

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 5, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9265655

Alice,
I know how you feel...I am the same way. Sometimes I feel like that is all I do, take care of my plants. BUT, I do love it and them, so its not really a chore, but it does take up more time than it should. But, good news, My husband has decided to hire two guys to come help me this Saturday (part of my bday)...help me plant all my plants and pull weeds.They will mostly dig the holes...can't say I trust them to actually plant them.

Right now I am trying to combine several plants into one container, because I have so many and its easier to water one pot rather than 5 or 6.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 5, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9265676

Paula, got my "Firestorm" as a tiny cutting. Took awhile to root.

Rita - Did I read that right ? You grow your Philo Rising Sun in the ground ? What do you do when it freezes there...zone 8 I think you are.
I'd love to put it in the ground here.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 5, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9265933

LoL, I'll jump on that bandwagon with the people whose plants and pets "own" them. I tell my kids I'll come and house/pet sit for them, but not for more than a week unless DH will be home to supervise the garden and the cat.

Anyone have experience with this one - Sinningia tubiflora? I got one little tuber at Tropiflora last year. It made a small plant and sat still until I hid it away in the garden. Just went out to rescue it, and here it is going nuts, trailing nearly 3ft. out of the pot. No flowers yet, does it need more light? It's supposed to make fragrant white tubular flowers, and bloom readily in the shade . ..

Second pic, another Thai Caladium mix from HD on sale. Can't resist them.

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9266010

I love sinningias and mine do like sun. I have the S. sellovii and a Bananas Foster and Scarlet o'Hara. I find they are slow starters but the leaves on them are usually pretty by themselves. PDN has a good selection.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 5, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9266451

RITA.
Does this look familiar? You sent it to me 2 years ago and obiviously it has been neglected, because it hasn't bloomed. I just have a tag that says 'prita 2010'. I was wondering if you knew what it was.

Drew,
Can you ID the following Colocasia? When I bought it..it was about 3 ft high and the leaves were probably 6-8 inches. I let it dry out and now its coming back. I divided it today, because there was probably 10 pups in a gal. pot. A mini version..but can you tell which one it is? Leaves are slightly ruffled.

3 &4
What I have been up to lately...cuttings and divisions.

Huge Philo leaf

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 5, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9266470

Ack, thanks Alice, you enabler you! I went and looked on the Plant Delights site to see what they said about Sinningias - what a treat! I may need to order a few more this fall . . . and the Salvias!! Anyway, the one cultivar they have that has mine as a parent says 'Sun to Part Sun' so I guess I'd better ease this baby into some more light.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 5, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9266471

More pics

Philo 'cheescake' loves all the rain we've been getting
2 - pretty orchid
3 - another 'mini' orchid
4 - finally divided my 'queen Emma'
5 - crested cactus

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 5, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9266477

Couple of planters by the pool

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066         

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2012
9:30 PM

Post #9266557

very nice display of lovely plants. I am glad to know about the Sinningia tubifloras, they own me, like all the rest, but as long as they are giving me a smile, I'll keep on doing what I do..mixing prennials with the tropicals.. bringing tropicals in when I have to. multi planting in one container is the best thing to do here.. especially since I work all day and can't tend to them until the heat has taken all the sap outta stuff.. basement has brugs blooming and the calico vine, chalice vine and other tender tropicals in it already.. slowly but surely.. Paula your containers look much more glamourous than mine > beautiful..
I have been choosing my sings from that same site, Elaine.
KayJones , you are a loverly lady, and have a heart of gold to boot.
Drew ur a handsome man, and very entertaining as well! Elaine, that is a great shot of you two.. I just love this group. Alice, I found Don outside in the oleander pot.. hmmm, I must have set him down while I was undoing the shelf across the way out there, anyway, it has another leaf stem (stalk?) with leaves. one of my tall Angel wings downstairs just finished flushing, I have posted her so much I didn't snap her this time.. the others are budding down there..My Basement is going to be way tropical this winter, with lights and paper and all kinds of changes.. even a pond, I am so kacited.

Rita.. the floss flower tree is blooming! it has been under the big lilac all summer, no mites, no yellow leaves, no squirrels in it and in the same pot as it has been for ever since you sent it.
KayJones, I have stuff to send you I started from seed, it is still too hot I think to send anything.
Been collecting seeds for everyone I have promised seeds to..
Sister is doing well I think, inspite of all the stuff she is enduring..
And Paula, I hire someone I have trained to care for my stuff if Joe and I are both gone at the same time, he is 14. I don't like to panic when I leave, but I do..

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2012
9:38 PM

Post #9266566

an outside view of my backyard paradise..
floss flower tree from Rita
new moon flower from last year
one of my container areas
blooming in that container in the am

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 6, 2012
3:24 AM

Post #9266659

Love the pics Debra! What is the plant in the third pic with the white flowers? Very pretty!

I have a silk floss tree...is that the same thing. It needs to be repottted, its not doing much. How old was yours before it started blooming?

Tried to find my giant milkweed yesterday, and couldn't. I am going to be upset if I have lost it. I'm sure I just moved it and forgot where I put it.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 6, 2012
3:55 AM

Post #9266678

Debra, thank you, but YOU are the one that has the heart of gold - you'd send your first-born if someone asked for her! I got a call from Sherry last night - she got her plant that she wanted from me and is happy and says she's feeling pretty good - LOVE HER!

All you folks' flowers put mine to shame - GORGEOUS!
prita
Red Oak, TX

September 6, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #9267206

Hello everyone!!!

Kay Jones, you are so photogenic!

It sure is great to see all the beauties of summer. Gosh, I wish I was going to the Aroid show, how nice for Drew. I have a feeling that Rachel will be there.

dyzzy, that is a nice picture of you and your dh. My honey and I are the same age as well (61yrs) and have been married for 37yrs. Unfortunately we do not have the same hobbies, he hates gardening.
I am planning to trim the red hibiscus back before I put it in the gh, I am enjoying the bright splash of color it provides. Paula has a nice size red hibiscus growing by her pool as well.
I am still checking my HD for those caladiums, they are unusual which I like.

ardesia, I hope that you are healing nicely from your eye surgery.

GAgirl1066, thanks for the pictures. I wish I was closer, it would be a pleasure to help you play with your plants. It is fun just checking all the stuff shown in your pictures. The plant you inquired of is a Cestrum from joeswife in the first picture.

Variegated Abutilon from rj. I thought I would lose it to scale but I use Debra's rubbing alcohol and Q-tip method and removed them all (I hope).

Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   

prita
Red Oak, TX

September 6, 2012

Post #9267208

I always get so excited seeing y'alls pictures. I will try to keep my ramblings to a minimum.

mjsponies, I have most of my Philos in the hoop house planted in the ground. I try to keep it no lower than 55 degrees in the winter. Maybe with a little protection, yours will make it . I would see what candida has to say concerning overwintering your Philo's.

Joeswife, Those are some very nice shots of your plants. I particularly like that you got the powderpuff plant to bloom for you. It came from phughes. It will bloom two or three times a year and is a great little plant. My fingers are crossed that you will get a Chalice vine bloom this fall.

Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 6, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9267231

Rita, lol, you and I certainly are contemporaries. My dh and I celebrated 37 years of marriage yesterday. (well, we didn't actually 'celebrate' yet - he's out drilling holes in the bottom of the Indian Ocean, but he sent his love) He doesn't like gardening either, but will help me with a big project if I ask nicely.

Speaking of love, that variegated Abutilon is just gorgeous. Do the flowers open up wide like my little ones? (see below) I had no idea the plants would get that big! I started several colors from seed this spring, thinking maybe they'd be annuals . . . shows what I know!

My purple Achimenes are showing a new feature, stripes in the throat. Doesn't make up for the fact that they're supposed to be "light blue with a white eye" mind you!

I have a new stem of flowers starting on my Spathoglottis, funny little ground orchids.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy      

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9267236

Yesterday? My anniversary was yesterday too, 48 years here. We did not celebrate much either and Phil was home. LOL

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9267356

gosh.. happy anniversary to all of you! Very rare to see people married for more than a couple years these days. I am grateful for my Joe, He doesn't like Gardening flowers, but he sure loves to grow vegetables, and take pictures of my flowers.. the bigger and unusual the leaf, the more he likes them..

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 6, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9267470

Gardeners are special people, right? I think it keeps us balanced, and makes us patient. So we make good partners.

I broke down and bought some white Curcumas. Anybody know if they keep putting up new stems like the other gingers do?

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 6, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9267495

Going on 31 years here...with a divorce in between...Don't ask...it's a things Come around kinda thing. Two stubborn people...
4th of July this year.
I love him dearly, even if he does drive me nuts sometimes.

Rita, ok now that makes sense with the Philo's. No I don't think I can get away with putting them in the ground here. No hoop house
to plant them in. A tiny 12x10 greenhouse and an extra bathroom or in the big barn depending on what they need.
Ummm, may just try to attach to a cool looking piece of driftwood I have...then can hang in the barn when the temps dip.

This message was edited Sep 6, 2012 8:45 PM

Thumbnail by mjsponies

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 6, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9267561

Martha, I knew what you looked like - beautiful - but, look at that handsome guy sitting next to you - did you rob the cradle?!!!! LOL Love ya, Lady Bug!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 6, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9267592

Nice pic there, Mj. Yeah, we drive each other nuts at times, too. If we didn't I'd be worried.

Like roses and pentas living together. One is thorny and rather stiff and demanding. The other fills in the gaps when the roses aren't in bloom. Hoo, boy! It's really getting late when I'm waxing poetic.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 6, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9267609

Everyone's flowers and plants look amazing. The pictures of yourselves look great too! I will have to find one and post.

Rita - what is the purple flower with the yellow center from the previous post? It looks like it takes batteries! I just purhcased a dragonfruit plant this past weekend. We drove up to Sarasota and went to Crowley's to pick up a voodoo lily (snake plant) for my husband. We walked into the greenhouse and saw the gigantic bloom and my husband knew we had to get another one. We had one before but it did not do well - I think we had it in the wrong part of the yard.

GAGirl - love the coloring on your cheesecake philo!

Debra - is that a clematis? I saw one this weekend (one of the only ones that will grow as far south as me). It was loaded with blooms and was so pretty. I love the pics of your outdoor paradise.

Dyzzy - I too have been looking at the white curcuma this year, but have passed it up several times. I may have to purchse one at those end of the season sales. My pink one has spread out quite nicely over the last couple of years and has bloomed non-stop this summer.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 7, 2012
4:04 AM

Post #9267717

We just celebrated our 22 anniversary and then the bday at 46. Not to make you all jealous...but my husband made reservations at a fancy resort on the coast and took me down there. We went out to eat at Bennies Red Barn (Alice, you been there?) Now I know you probably thinking a 'barn". It looks like a barn in and out but the food is fabulous. A old black guy owns it and he walks around singing as you eat and has a wonderful deep voice. Then we went back and sat outside in a swing and watched the stars. I have to say, that is the first time my hubbie has done that. I guess he's starting to take after his dad. His dad always takes his wife somewhere NICE for their anniversary. They have been married for I think 55 years.

My hardy Hibs are still blooming. The only one that has not bloomed is the white one - blue moon, I think. It's struggling.
1 noid
2 cranberry crush
3 -peppermint schnapps
4 Summerific something

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 7, 2012
4:08 AM

Post #9267720

As you can see...some little bug is eating them. I have found a grasshopper or two on them. Arrgh!

I also have this one I found out in the woods. I have a few seed if anyone wants to try them. It was about 6 ft high and the flowers are probably 5-6 in. but do not fully open.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 7, 2012
4:16 AM

Post #9267725

oops, forgot the photo

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 7, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9267806

Love the white one from the woods, Paula. Simply elegant.

Bunnie, my dragon fruit cactus has grown, but only put on one bloom and the rain from Debby made it drop before it opened. +-( I've seen them growing like crazy on oak trees in partial shade and fairly dry conditions.

A few interesting shots from this morning -
Brazilian plume
Another jazzy sport from Hedychium 'Dr. Moy'
Dark purple vinca
The perfume led me to the Butterfly Ginger
Flowers on my Brug. Monster White were all split up the sides this time, weird?

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9267894

You people have the most beautiful plants/flowers - it makes my day EVERY day that I come here and see what you've posted - THANKS!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9268142

That dark purple vinca is over the top. makes me want to buy annuals again.

Elaine, the white curcuma will probably not put up any more flower spoikes this year but it will spread and have many more next year. They eventually make large clumps. I grew several from rhizomes this year and only one of hte white ones has bloomed for me.

Paula, I have not been to Bennies but now I do plan to go there. Also, I think the white hibiscus is one of the marsh mallows. They grow wild in the ditches around here. There is also a pretty pink variety. If I had a pair of leather hip boots (snakes, etc.) I would go and snitch some seeds from them. LOL

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9268393

Mj you guys look great! Hay, Paula, love to have some HH seeds.. Elaine, got your seeds thanks so much for the fun experimenting supplies for me to play with this winter.. ( seed sowing and such)
Storm came thru and blew the stuff down, came home to the daughters who came to visit, they had picked stuff up and uprighted it.. hailed big time at work today, damaged every car on the lot again.. sheese!
Elaine, are you sure that is not the stardancer cross there with the split ptals? Stardancer has split petals..
me in May on way to New Orleans.. ugh.. need to find one of me and Joe.. u know, since I am joeswife and all..

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife         

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 7, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9268407

Mm, don't think so, Deb. That is the Original, One and Only Monster that I grew from your cutting last year and planted in the ground this spring. Maybe Stardancer has been dancing with the Monster when I'm not looking??

Glad you got the seeds, something ate the seedlings I had started. Yours will be safer, getting big enough to defend themselves in your basement. I'll run out and take a new picture of the mama plant tomorrow morning. It blew over in a squall from Isaac, but is tied up again now, and looking amazing. btw, it has thorns on the trunks like rose thorns - I found out the hard way!

Alice, those vincas are sold as annuals but I've had them go 3 or 4 years for me. Even through our bad winters. Have to pinch them a bit to keep them bushy the following years, but they are tender perennials.

Thunbergia from Mj, what a bloomer!

This message was edited Sep 7, 2012 9:01 PM

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 7, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9268492

GAGirl - that was so nice of your husband. Mine surprises me now and again as well. I think some of the best places are the ones that look like nothing on the outside, have amazing food and charm, and are quaint on the inside. Your Hibiscus are very pretty. I especially like the cranberry crush.

Dyzzy - I love your varigated heliconia, the coloring is so cool! My Brazilian Cloak is not blooming yet, but it does not usually bloom until it cools a little.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2012
9:03 PM

Post #9268585

you know, some day I will be able to try some of those cool things like heliconia and brazilian cloak.. beautiful! What I really want to happen is the chalice vine and the firespike to finally bloom for me, and queen emma as well! Once I grow a tropical to a bloom, I am satisfied at my ability as a gardener. all the gingers I planted from seeds have produced plants, but none of them have bloomed for me, including the butterfly ginger, is it me or the climate or what>?
It is birthday week here , always a challenge.. 7th mom in law (joesmom) he is there now with her up in buffalo.. , 8th, son, 9th, youngest daughter, 10th, neice.
all of these plants you see except the banana were started from seeds here..

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 8, 2012
3:31 AM

Post #9268695

Caught the little devil!

These huge buds have been teasing me for about 3 days - got up at 4:30 this morning and CAUGHT THEM IN THE ACT of full bloom, the size of SAUCERS!:

Thumbnail by KayJones   Thumbnail by KayJones         

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 8, 2012
5:08 AM

Post #9268724

LOL Debra, at first I though you meant she was your 7th MIL. :-)

Firespikes are always late bloomers and Queen Emmas, like many crinums, can often take years but if anyone can get something to bloom sooner it will be you.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 8, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9268811

Deb, on the gingers, they like heat and some sun but not a full day here. The one thing they do demand is a TON of water. I'd move them to a very sunny warm spot in your yard for this month, and water them 'til you think they'll drown! My hedychiums bloom the first year from divisions, dependably.

KayJones - way to go, catching that night bloomer, it's just beautiful!

A few more from this morning -
1. & 2. Brazilian Red Cloak - finally caught the color better; the flower heads are huge and floppy now - it's been blooming for months.
3. & 4. Brazilian Plume (also from Rita) second set of flowers it has had, and one got broken off in a storm.
5. Heliconia about to open

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 8, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9268836

oh Kay!!!! wowie! Oh I can't wait to see mine do that! You Luck!

Elaine, those reds are so tantalizing! I bet the hummers are all over your place.
Alice, thanks for the gardeners boost.. you guys are the best!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 8, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9268855

Elaine, why can't my little BC bloom like that? I watch it daily - it's 4' tall but still hasn't bloomed.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 8, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9268889

That plant is a bit of a puzzle to me, too, Kay. Last year, when I grew it from a cutting, it put up one flower head 'way late - picture taken on Dec. 11th - and since it was such a warm winter, it held onto it right through the winter. Then it started really growing and branching this spring, so I planted it in the ground, gave it a handful of Osmocote and left it to its own devices. To my great surprise, it started up bloom heads again in April, and they're still going! So don't give up, it may yet start up some flower heads. btw, don't prune, the heads start up on the branch tips.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 8, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9268906

Thanks for that info.!

Does anyone know where Cassie is?
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 8, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9269110

Kay, I just got a new book, "Gardener's Guide to Tropical PLants" by Nellie Neal, and she addresses the Red Cloak. She says while it will grow in a semi shady location it will develop fewer flowers. She suggests sun and lots of water, "letting the soils dry out only slightly" between waterings. She also says to fertilize regularly, as often as directed on the label from spring through fall and less ofen during the winter. Also, mulch well and turn the mulch in as soon as it decomposes and top dress with fresh.
Hope this helps. Sounds like they are hungry, thirsty plants.
prita
Red Oak, TX

September 8, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9269178

Hello Everyone!!
mjsponies,what a sweet couple you guys make!! And, he loves your plants to boot, how lucky can you get? lol Maybe you can put a pergola or some structure attached to your existing greenhouse, then cover it in plastic in the winter for your Philos. That was how mine got started, a small heater on the coldest nights.

floridabunnie, that is a Blue potato bush, it will probably grow like a weed in your zone but I find it to be well behaved and a great little bloomer.

dyzzy, I am always in awe of how fast your plants are growing. They will take root easily, just stick the broken pieces in the ground and forget them.
I will have to find some seeds for that purple vinca next spring. I sometimes find rare seeds in early spring at Wal-Mart before they are picked over.
That is so unusual with the Brugs, mine are doing the same, the blooms are splitting and distorted.

GAgirl1066, I am jealous of your hibiscus blooms, every one I click is lovelier than the next.

Joeswife, I second what ardesia said, if you can't get them to bloom no one can!
Good picture of you, you seem so elegant.

Kay Jones, thanks for sharing those beautiful little devils with us, I saw a few buds on mine yesterday.

Guavas
me
Coral vine
Ken
Heliconia

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 8, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #9269205

Rita, you're just a PUP - pretty lady! Where did you snag that handsome husband?!!!! Your plants are pretty, too!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 8, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9269358

Lovely, Rita! The flowers, the portraits, the water, and I see you found those heliconias. They're my new favorites (this week at least).

Alice, interesting that your book says full sun for the Red Cloak. Mine is in bright shade all day long in the warm months, although it does get some sun in winter back there. Maybe an hour or two. The big one at the entrance to Selby Gardens is in the shade, too. That's the reason I put mine where it is. It does get lots of water - that is my bed for things that like extra watering. Fert? Haven't given it any since a handful of Osmocote at the end of May - not allowed to fertilize here over summer, until the end of this month. I was thinking it's probably due for a feeding once the flowering ends, but it's been in bloom for well over 3 months!

Speaking of blooming, that monster begonia, I discovered, puts on huge growth but no blooms if it gets a lot of water. If I deprive it - let it dry a bit between waterings - it stays a more reasonable size and blooms more.

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 8, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9269370

Elaine...love that begonia..I would love a cutting, if you ever give it a haircut.

I am so excited...two guys came today and pulled the weeds out of my flower bed (soon to be flowerbed). I planted a few things a couple of months ago, but haven't been able to keep the weeds out. It was so bad, you couldnt even tell there was some flowers in there. It took both of them 6 hours to pull all the weeds, but it looks GREAT! Keep in mind this is a new house (tons of weeds and grass) and the bed is about 110 feet long and from 5 to 10 ft. wide. Now I can plant all the ones that has been sitting around in containers. I can't wait to see it next spring. No more than I have now, the butterflies love it!!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2012
4:54 AM

Post #9269615

Paula, I hope you covered that clean soil with plenty of hay or something to keep any more weed seeds from germinating. Every time I yank a weed it exposes more weed seeds and they take off if I am not careful - which I rarely am. :-(

Rita, you continue to amaze me with all your collections and you look so pretty and happy, that must be your place in "p".

Elaine, from what the book says the red cloak will pretty much bloom anywhere but not as heavily in the shadier locations. Since Selby has theirs in shade and you live in the same neighborhood, I would follow what they do - like you did. :-) The author of the book,Nellie Neal is the regional editor for the coastal and tropical south for the National Gardening association. I subscribe to their newsletters.
http://www.garden.org/regional/report/author/11

Also, I think all begonias like to dry out between waterings. Mine did much better when we were experiencing a drought earlier this summer and I was controling the amount of water they got. My pretty stained glass from you looks so pretty in the smallish pot I have it in, but I realize I am committing plant abuse so I'll pot it up before I got out of town mid week.

The pond - we can no longer see any fish.
Bougy arborea sent up one 7' blooming stem, the rest of the plant is blah.
The snowy egrets and wood storks have taken up residence in a nearby tree. They will kill it with their poop. By nightfall there will be over a hundred in that tree.
The cotton boll is opening...

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 9, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9269629

Alice, that gal can't be real reliable - take a look at the link below - third picture down - she has a handful of peppers and the caption says they are rose hips!

http://www.garden.org/regional/report/author/11
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9269657

No, the caption says they are actually camellia seed pods that look like rose hips. They looked like peppers to me also but I have seen some pretty strange pods on the many different varieties of camellias so I can't say for sure. I think the National Gardening Association is pretty reliable, I have met the executive director and liked her a lot. The writer for the middle south is a very old friend of mine, she also writes for a number of newspapers and magazines.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 9, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9269785

I'm sorry, but I grow many kinds of Camellias and none of them have seed pods that look like peppers - those are peppers, imho.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 9, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9269825

I think they just put the wrong picture up.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2012
9:53 AM

Post #9269827

that photo made me hungry.. just saying.. LOL
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #9269835

Kay, I have emailed her and asked for a clarification. If there is a mistake she would want to be aware I presume, I mistakenly said they were camellias seed pods but it says gardenia seeds pods. In either case they do more closely resemble peppers to me too.

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 9, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9269840

Debra,
Let's go get Mexican...mmm.salsa!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #9269890

LOL, this is OT but my dog sitter who is coming his week says she likes to make nachos so I thought I would lay in some supplies for her. I know about the chips and salsa but what kind of cheese should I buy and do you put anything else on them? Obviously they not one of my usual meals and I am clueless.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 9, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9269922

I like shredded sharp cheddar on mine - YUM!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 9, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9269964

Me too, Kay, but most people like something milder like Jack or the mixed shredded cheese. Maybe some sour cream? Loaded nachos have ground meat too.

Now I'm hungry! How did we get onto this subject? Was it the peppers? (I agree that picture is of peppers)
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 9, 2012

Post #9269988

I'm thinking we are going to have nachos tonight.

Here is one of my ponytail palms...had another that was just as big, but someone stoled it! I was MAD!! I have another...it was taller...almost 6 ft. and when we moved it fell over in the trailer and broke the top out of it...almost cried. Thought it was a gonner but now its putting out new leaves.

2 - peace lily - domino...bromeliads...and varg rubber tree
3 - more bromeliads...anthuriums...medinilla, couple other things
4 - anthurium - has anyone ever seen a yellow like this one - know the name?
5 - close up

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 9, 2012
2:37 PM

Post #9270044

http://www.fablefarms.ca/anthuriums.htm

The above site sells premium cut flowers and lists 'DYED' yellow Antherium.

sales@fablefarms.ca is the email address to request a catalog - might be nice to have.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9270085

Thank you! I'll get some of that shredded cheese for her and maybe leave some ground beef in the freezer. I already have some daisy sour cream so we well be set. I knew you guys would come through. I visited an anthurium grower in HI and they had many colors of anthuriums that we never see in the trade but I don't believe I remember seeing a yellow one.

But, that was several years ago, check this one out.
http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2010/11/01/ctahr-holds-open-house-touts-new-anthurium-varieties/

This message was edited Sep 9, 2012 5:28 PM

Thumbnail by ardesia

floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 9, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9270190

Alice - Thanks for the link to the newsletter, I signed up to receive as well. Your yard looks so inviting! I just put in a flower pot fountain (really bubbler) today. It is still a work in progress. They recommended 2 bags of rocks, so far I have purchased 5 and need even more. I put black beans or refried beans on my nachos (I don't eat meat), the mexican melty cheese is good too. I stopped Friday night and got mexican because I was having a craving. . .

Paula - that yellow anthrium is so unique! When I was visiting my parents recently I saw a purple one, which I had never seen before. BTW, I did not forget about your barleria. I was hoping it would cool down a little so I didn't fry them again! Will be sure to use newspaper as well :)

My bubbler (still needs some tweaking)
hibiscus
cats on my pipevine
eggs on the same vine
variegated hibiscus

Thumbnail by floridabunnie   Thumbnail by floridabunnie   Thumbnail by floridabunnie   Thumbnail by floridabunnie   Thumbnail by floridabunnie

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2012
9:29 PM

Post #9270398

that is a cool bubbler! love the dark red on the hib, and your varigated is really loaded with a lot of hues. cool that you have butterflys for the future going there..Love that Clero blooming too!
Paula I would be happy to have a yellow bloom on an anthurium! The red one that KayJones gave me is very happy downstairs in the tropical room.
It looks good with the other tropicals down there..
the dayblooming setosa and the night blooming lav moon vine are my favorites atm. oh wait maybe the showy ones too..

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2012
4:24 AM

Post #9270487

Love that bubbler! I always wanted on of those, the mosquitoes do not breed in moving water.

Thanks for the beans idea too,easy enough to have a can on hand. We are so grateful to have a good dog sitter I'll happily feed her. There are no places to board dogs here that have an attendant at night and Boolie gets wild seizures and needs someone around so we always have to find someone to stay here.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9270531

too bad that my youngest doesn't live closer, Alice.. she dog sits for all kinds of people, sometimes 4 at a time for a week!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9270549

Send her down!
candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 10, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9270790

nice pictures everyone as always. it is nice to be able to put a face to a name.
i have been busy at work and visiting my mother in law in puerto rico. everytime we go there we buy her plants, soon her yard will be a jungle like mine. lol.
homer when are you coming to miami? hopefully you are driving a truck so you can bring plants back! send me a dmail of you would like to come by my garden you are always welcome. let me know if you need any help with suggestions as where to go, stay, or eat while in miami.
i took a few pictures today.
1. blue ginger still flowering
2. doc moy from dyzzy
3. heliconia
4. bird's nest anthurium flower
5. a red philo in the morning light

Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela

candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 10, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9270805

i have been digging up and cleaning up the yard so i can put new mulch and coral down. the work is never done!
a few bromeliads.

Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela

candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 10, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9270823

anthurium, begonias (from mjsponies), croton, voodoo lily, last me and carlos. (20 years)

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 10, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9270972

Beautiful plants and beautiful couple!!!! We've sure missed you, Lady Bug!!!!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9271133

OMG Cassie, you are so young and pretty . Sigh, what a beautiful couple.

I just heard back from Nellie Neal and she apologized for the picture. Apparently there were several other errors on the page too. Her editors mixed up the pictures and captions and she appreciated the heads up.

Kay, I saw a lady that looked just like you on a TV piece that took place at an event in Panama City the other day. Were you on TV?
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 10, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9271166

LOL, Alice - not that I know about. If so, I want COMPENSATION!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9271251

It was just a face in the crowd but obviously you have a twin hiding in your own town. :-)

Pink bottle brush is blooming again.

Thumbnail by ardesia

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 10, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9271319

Where was the show shot - I may not even go into that area of town - some areas are pretty 'rough'. If it was an event, I know it wasn't me, because the only place I go where there's a crowd is to church.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9271459

aww cassie, your plants rival your beauty. Great couple! I am jealous of your beautiful blue ginger. Love the voodoo lily too. I loved Miami when I lived there.. what a party town!
LOL KayJones, there is a twin for everyone somewhere I have heard.. when I was younger and Cher Bono was "normal" I was told we could be twins, both of us being Armenian and all. Some radio guy talked me into a look alike contest, and I won a hamburger fries and a coke in a town far away from Wichita, kansas, while some busty blonde won the prize of look alike? ( Cher was flat chested, nose not fixed, lips normal and not a blonde at that time)
oh well..
After seeing KayJones beautiful milkweed plant while I was there, I just had to go out and get me one..
native pink lady thumb
specles and stripes mg
broken colors 4 o clock
common datura

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9271465

lots of color on the north fence, need a bottle brush there.. LOL

Thumbnail by joeswife

floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 11, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9272518

Debra - I like how you have several different flowers blooming together. I'm a fan of color so these caught my eye. I also envy your 4 o'clocks. I had the opportunity to purchase a plant that someone had trained as a standard and it had a caudex at the base - it was very cool. Of course, I thought that I would go back and get it next time - well, when next time came it was already gone!

Alice - I know what you mean about the dog sitter. We have 3 (yes, really) Jack Russell's. Not only would it cost a fortune to take them somewhere, but I always worry more about them catching something from other dogs. You never know how well other owners take care of their furkids. We lucked out and also have a wonderful sitter. She comes to our house and stays with the dogs and they absolutely love her. She even lets them sleep on the bed with her!

Cassie - your plants are amazing. My husband just got another snake plant (vodoo lily), I went out today and it's growing another stem. I recently got into bromeliads, so I really like the ones you have pictured.
candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 12, 2012
4:55 AM

Post #9272832

Thank you, you guys are too kind. It was hard to find a picture of myself, all I have are of plants!

I am lucky living in Miami because so many plants you just break a piece off and it grows, most all of my bromeliads I got from a guy at work. Every year he thins them out and throws them away! So of course i rescue them. My problem now is where to put everything!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 12, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9272885

Well Cassie, some of us would be more than willing to adopt some for postage, if he just throws them away. Yikes! I'm the person that as I'm riding around town...I'm looking in the yard trash piles to see whats there. I have actually found 3 very nice houseplants that people threw away because they looked scraggly. But I repotted and fertilized and they look great now. I love bromeliads!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 12, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9273005

Paula, I am EXACTLY that way - I can't believe what people toss on the brush pile - too much money, I'd guess!

I'm sure we would all love to adopt toss-away plants or cuttings, but sometimes folks forget the amount of TIME involved for the person having to i.d. the plants, label them, wrap the roots/cuttings, wrap a package and actually get it to the post office in a timely manner - I spend an average of 30 minutes on EACH package I mail out. Time is so valuable these days.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9273456

A few new things today, finally some Monster White brugs that are a more normal size.

More variegated costus, sorry for the repeats, I just think they're so pretty.

Big new orchid today, with 3 more buds coming.

This is a tiny orchid that's been blooming for over 3 months.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   

prita
Red Oak, TX

September 13, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9274259

Hello Everyone!!
The city has been doing construction on my street for over a week now, with 3 more weeks to go. My yard is under a thick layer of dust, fortunately we got 1/4" of rain this afternoon to wash some of it off my foliage.

dyzzy, I found the Heliconia at a nursery in North Dallas, it was 3 times what you paid for yours at HD but I wanted it. They are great plants, always in bloom. There is a Christmas Heliconia that I am looking for now.
Your Begonias are so pretty, I will never get tired of seeing your successes, it makes me want to try harder.

KayJones, thanks. Being retired, I enjoy all aspects of trading, especially with folks on this thread!!

ardesia, your pictures are so perfect, I will vote for them if you enter them in the photo contest. I have never seen a pink bottlebrush plant, cool plant!

New Plant, Sesbania grandiflora, hummingbird tree.
Maya cutting and Super Nova blooming sparingly

prita
Red Oak, TX

September 13, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9274261

GAgirl1066, glad to see that you are getting your yard and gh organized. I love the arrangement on the porch. That is also a nice size poneytail palm, she said jealously. lol

candela, what beautiful green eyes you have, they match your thumbs! Nice looking couple!! It seems as if you are in the peek blooming season. Your garden is Awesome!!

floridabunnie, I will have to agree with everyone and compliment you on a job well done. Great bubbler! I see your Pagoda is still blooming.

joeswife, I got you babe, you do look like Cher.
Lovely shots of your garden, I enjoy them all, especially your butterflies.

Papyrus plant, Variegated Heliconia, Dwarf coconut leaf Plumeria,

Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 13, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9274376

Where did you find that gorgeous v. Heliconia?!!!!!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9274445

dear tropical gurus... it is getting down to 50 tonight.. last night we ran the A/C tonight we may use blankets.. my question is:

do I need to bring in the desert rose, the staghorn, the queen emma, and the other stuff?
I have brought in a lot just because of the bugs and heat ( my precious brugs) , not ready to bring it all in, but Joe says if you all said to start bringing in the sheep, we will.
Beautiful plants, really love the red coleus with the shrimp plant, and your Maya is awsome, Rita. Also love the Sebaunia, I planted a sed of that, now I have a young baby seedling, what to do what to do? LOL Sheese so many babies growing here and there, I think I will bring those in this weekend.
KayJones, Sister won't know anything about the chemo making the tumors shrink until the 20th, and I am going to go get her to bring her here for about 10 days on the 22nd. She must feel okay, she keeps telling me "I ain't dying yet" so that is a good sign, lil brat. She has called me twice to ask about her plants, silly girl. She knows what to do..

I am ready to try an Orchid after seeing Elaines beutiful display.
Paula, no one here has plants to toss, the sun fried most of the stuff at the lowes, so I didn't get anything that is for sure..
Alice, I agree with you, Cassie and her man are very beautiful together,,, can I sigh along with you? Her gardens kick.. well you know ..
Where is Drew? I miss his giants. I did bring in my little frydek and mayan mask and the little polys, don't want them dissapearing on me now..
Getting the brugs I am sending away ready.. Floridabunnie, are you ready to try a brug? Did you want the Sweet Autumn Clenatis to give it a go? I have one already potted up.
been collecting seeds, and I am going to have to cut my vines away from their foot holds soon, so they better get to blooming! ( passies, coral vine, and thunbergias. ) Lobata is finally blooming.. love it.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 13, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9274455

desert rose - bring in when temps get to 50 degrees - don't take any chances.

the staghorn - mine stays out all year, covered in below-30 weather with a towel.

the queen emma - she grows in the ground year around - we get down to 28 for a few hours - smiles the whole time.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9274506

Thanks so much,, she is in.. sorry about my spelling, can't see to type..

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 13, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9274532

Deb, I would think some of the tougher tropicals could stay out for a few more weeks. Surely you get Indian Summer weather off and on during October? In Utah (where we lived before) sometimes it lasted into early December!

My passion vines are all in the ground here, and I never cover them up either. So they survive well into the 30's without even losing leaves. The fruiting one seems to get inspired to bloom like crazy when the weather changes, too. All the gingers are in the ground, too. They go on blooming through several cold fronts before they finally pack it in. Tops die, I throw mulch on them . . done deal.

I'm sure you could grow orchids in your sleep in that wonderful tropical basement of yours. Just be sure they get good air circulation and they will love living at your house. Here's my big purple Catt with 3 more buds getting ready to open. btw, the Orchid Disease that is the big problem is what infects the people who grow them - it is incurable, once you start you'll never stop wanting to try all the different kinds .

Last thing, if you see orchids for sale at big box stores with a sign that reads "Easy care, 3 ice cubes each week . . " run away! It's a conspiracy to sell more orchids - they want you to kill them off quickly.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 13, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9274576

Rita - Your hummingbird tree is awesome! How big will it get? I am planting our back fence with bushes and small trees so that I can block to view. I was so frustrated this weekend. My husband has gone over and spoken with the people behind us and have asked them to not blow their clippings in our yard (they have tons of weeds and don't care what their landscaping looks like). I have started ripping out by our back fence and planting bushes and vines. When I walked out there this weekend, they had blown clippings into my flower bed!! Ugh! So I guess our solution is either mow part of their yard or find something to put in the chain link to block them from blowing the clippings.

Debra - Your Lobata is very cool, almost looks like a fire spike. I would love to try the Sweet Autumn Clenatis - thanks so much! 50 degrees already - brrr! I guess living here I forget that it's almost October. We're still having 90+ degree days.

Dyzzy - I have yet to have very good luck with the orchids I've purchased at the box stores. I've killed them all! If that is the goal of their conspiracy, I can say that I've been hoodwinked twice - LOL!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9274792

One thing we southerners need to remember is that when it gets cold at night it is generally only for an hour or two, usually around 5 am. In other parts of the country the cold settles in earlier in the evening.

I am in NJ right now and it gets cool in the late afternoon, so different from home.

Rita that pink bottle brush is not a very showy plant at all, the "brushes" are only about 1 1/2" long.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9274881

So sorry to hear they "got" you with those death row orchids, bunnie. They sure do look nice, and the prices are tempting. Most of those at HD and Lowe's are Phalaenopsis, which are touted as the "beginner" orchid. Just my opinion, but there are lots of other orchids that are way easier to keep healthy. Dendrobiums (which you also see at the box stores) and Cattleyas are much more sturdy in my experience.

If you see one you just must have, (or must rescue . . ) take it home and re-pot it immediately. The trick is to get one that's not already on the way out. The leaves should feel firm and (if it is a Phal) quite stiff and look shiny. The plant should have buds that have not opened yet. IF the one you buy is out in the nursery, (outdoors) then don't take it home and keep it in the a/c. The temp change and dry air indoors will make it drop its buds for sure. Outdoors here is perfect for orchids most of the year. Only if we have cold nights in the winter should you need to bring them in or cover them up. Mine stay out all year, and I cover them when it's cold.

They have them in plastic pots, usually stuffed with sphagnum moss all around their roots, then slipped into a clay pot to look nicer (and it helps them stand up). Buy a bag of "orchid mix" before you leave the store. Take the plant out of the plastic pot and throw that pot away. Orchids have roots that need to breathe, and not stay wet. So after getting rid of the plastic pot, loosen up the soggy wad of moss you will find under there. Chop sticks or tweezers work great. Throw away most if not all of it without damaging the roots of the plant. Put the plant back in the clay pot with orchid mix (it is bark, perlite, charcoal and other chunky stuff that looks nothing like soil, but it works!). There are good directions on the bag of mix. Keep the orchid in the shade, mist the leaves daily with a spray bottle (or I have a pump sprayer for my 70-odd orchids) dunk it in a bucket or bowl of water once a week, and when the last flowers are gone, put it somewhere it will not get direct sun. I use soluble orchid fert in my sprayer to fertilize, but if you only have one or two, putting a tiny bit (about 1/4 the strength the package says) in the dunk water every second week will be plenty.

Here's my Phal Phamily. Two of these came from IKEA for $10 a year ago. Only one has re-bloomed but I think the other will maybe bloom next spring. Most Phals only bloom once a year, usually in the spring for me, but the flowers last for over 2 months so they're worth the wait. The big one lower right is one of the $10 plants, and bloomed for 3 months last fall, then re-bloomed in the spring!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 14, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #9275612

Dyzzy - thanks for the tips. Like I said, I haven't had much luck but I didn't remove them from the pots either. I do have an orchid in one of my trees that is doing well. It is in a pot with multiple holes (kind of looks like mesh). I may try my hand again using your suggestions. Your's look fabulous! I had no idea that IKEA sold plants, I learn something new every day!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 15, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9275863

LoL, they will sell anything, I think. Those orchids from IKEA were on a big table right at the exit. A decor feature - for $10 they're cheaper than cut flowers and last a lot longer! That was a year ago, no guarantee they will still have them, but they might. Also they were indoors in very cool a/c so when I brought them home, I kept them indoors until they finished blooming. That was Labor Day last year. It was October for one and December for the other before the blooms were done so by then the windows were open in the house, and they were used to outdoor conditions. They've been outside ever since.
prita
Red Oak, TX

September 15, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9276187

Hi Everyone!!

ardesia, have a good trip!

Kay Jones, the Heliconia is from our Rj Rudd.

dyzzy, you are so funny. "Death Row Orchids". You have the midas touch with those orchids. They are looking so healthy.
I have saved a few death row bromeliads through the years, myself. I transplanted 4 babies from a plant I paid less than a dollor for today, no color yet but for that much, I got a morning of pleasure!

Joeswife, Sorry to hear about the cold temps, too early for that. I want to enjoy a few more months of good gardening weather, it has been perfect weather here except that we did not get the rain that was predicted. The plants that I repotted and transplanted today could use a good drenching.

floridabunnie, from what I read so far on the hummingbird tree, the limbs will break easily and can get up to 30 ft, but on the positive side the leaves and flowers have culinary value. I have enjoyed this Firebush (Hamelia patens) immensely and it might be perfect to include in your fence line plantings. It is a butterfly and hummers dream plant.

Firebush
Senna
bromeliad
Fence line

prita
Red Oak, TX

September 15, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9276188

Fruits on my Carambola tree YEA, I have never tried this fruit before, I hope that they ripen before winter.
All the fruit from the Papaya fell off, it's sad to go through a summer without any fresh papaya.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 15, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9276199

Amazing Heliconia, Rita. I just did a google search for vendors, but didn't find any that aren't international.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 15, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9276223

Lovely pics, Rita. I agree on the Firebush, the birds like the fruits, too! It's a wildlife magnet. Plus, it will bloom in shade as well as sun, although it gets a little leggier.

Carambola are such pretty trees and yummy fruits, trouble is (as with most fruit trees) once the tree starts bearing you get SO many! I think they taste across between apple and orange, and of course they're so pretty in a salad. Make a nice cobbler, too.

1. pretty color combo in a pot at my brother's condo
2. a cutting from Cassie that I thought was Chalice vine - it has a tall shoot but it doesn't look much like a vine. Anybody?
3. enjoying the brugs back to normal. Lots of flowers coming.

candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 16, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9276684

I am pretty sure that second one is a chalice vine, mine hasn't t flowered yet.

Drew has been here in Miami, we had a good afternoon at Fairchild yesterday, then he just left my yard with a few goodies. It was nice to meet up with him and show him around Miami.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 16, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9276782

Thanks, Cassie. As you can see, it's going great!

Good to hear you and Drew had a nice time, there. I'm sure he's excited to get home now, and plant the treasures you gave him.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 16, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9277105

Here is an interesting tropical compostion.

The camera really doesn't catch the color well, but, you get the picture...

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener   Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener         

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9277115

looks like a huge stand of mexican ruella and clerodendrum of some sort.. just thining.. Dale.
Glad you all got to meet up, I bet it was fun. your papaya looks like our elderberry here, sorta, Rita.
Gee, I gotta get me one of those hamela patens, it is beautiful!

Thumbnail by joeswife

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 16, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9277120

It looks like purple Ruella and white Lantana to me - lovely!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 16, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9277125

Deb, I can send you cuttings of Hamela patens, if you want some.

Do you have firespike aka Odontonema strictum? I have swarms of
Hummingbirds on mine and the cuttings root readily.

Dmail and let me know if you want some.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 16, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9277319

Or maybe the white flower in Dale's pic is a white plumbago? They look a bit too big for lantana to me. It's a really pretty combo anyway!

We got some good rain here this afternoon, Phew! My rain barrels were getting pretty empty!
prita
Red Oak, TX

September 17, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9278166

Kay Jones, there is a waiting list to get a piece of that Heliconia and I have put you on it.

dyzzy, how nice that your brother loves plants, those are two of my favorite annuals. The Chalice vine looks good, you are going to love this plant!! You will need a stake for it and don't trim it back until after it blooms in the fall. There is also a variegated version of it.

Dale, that is a great idea planting the Ruella and plumbago together. There are three colors of each plant, the wheels are already spinning in my head for next year's color combo. thanks!

passion vine from Rachel
Lowe's mark down bromeliad
Foliage
Ginger
Ugly coleus

prita
Red Oak, TX

September 17, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9278167

joeswife, Are you Brugs blooming? This is the time of year for a show. Mine are sparse this year but the snail vine is making up for it with their fragrance.

Thumbnail by prita

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 17, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9278187

Rita, thanks, but ONLY if you have one large enough to share - I wouldn't want the plant harmed just to satisfy my lust, which is ever-ongoing!

Rita, I JUST sent Deb a box of plants in a box YOU sent ME plants in - trading is SO much fun!

Could everyone PLEASE take a couple of minutes and UPDATE your haves and wants lists on the sticky, here on the Tropicals forums?

I would bet we've all acquired some new 'haves' and 'wants', and who knows - maybe some of us could fill another's wish!!!

Edited to add a link to the sticky, so you can update your lists:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1157132/

This message was edited Sep 17, 2012 7:07 PM

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 17, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9278216

KayJones, is this the heliconia you wanted from Rita? I have lots of it, (got a deal on 6 of them) and I'm gathering plants to send to you next week anyway. Let me know and I can put a start of it in there for you. I am going to update my 'Wants' list by removing everything on it. I have way too many plants right now and trades lined up with you and Mj.

Rita, aren't those Coleus a puzzle? You buy them one color, and they change on you. I also love that ginger. Such big flowers, and so many open at once! If I can ever afford to hire someone to remove a couple of my humungous white birds of paradise I'll have good places for more wonderful gingers.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 17, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9278243

I am lusting after a start of her VARIEGATED Heliconia!

Edited to add: I have the small orange Heliconia that I got from Home Depot - is yours a different color?

This message was edited Sep 17, 2012 8:04 PM

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9278386

ok i updated my lists... uhm, KayJones.. you need to update yours! hehehe...
welp, so far, no losses over night here.. sure love those gingers and passies, rita.
my chalice vine is still lazily loping all over the basement area, no buds yet.
Kaitlyn, Betty Marshal and Isabella are the only brugs with a few blooms so far.
night blooming jessimine ( cestrum nocturn?) is in full bloom. smells so good outside with the four o clocks, moon flowers , jasmines, night blooming phlox, sweet autumn clematis and now the other nite jasmines..

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 18, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9278575

Isn't this gorgeous...of course the photo does not capture the true color...almost blue

Hibiscus Azurri

That's the same exact flower and look at the difference ...photo taken 2 seconds apart.
First one is more true to the color.

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 18, 2012
5:04 AM

Post #9278578

Isn't this the cutest calicarpa beauty berry? The berries are very small.

And this Rose of Sharon/Hib...the flower is only about an inch.

anyone know the names of these two?

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 18, 2012

Post #9278628

Pretty and Beautiful are their names!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 18, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9278649

love that blue it is very pretty.. my beauty berries are full and getting very big this year..
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 18, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9278916

lol Kay...I got them as cutting, so I hope they will take and grow for me.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 19, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9280276

Yes, the Hib. Azurri is just a fabulous color, Paula. The color diff is probably because of the brighter background in the second pic. Camera was compensating for more light. I used to carry around a piece of gray cardboard to put behind things for pictures to prevent that.

I have a flower coming along on the blue ginger that Alice sent me this spring! So excited to see it.

Also my 'experiment' with the two Philo Gloriosums planted in my shady border this spring, one in a sunken pot, and the other straight into the ground is showing results - the one in the sunken pot has way bigger, nicer leaves than the one in the ground now! I'm sort of sad, because I was hoping the one in the ground would be able to hold its own against the oak tree roots in there, but I guess not. Think I'll wait until cooler weather then roust it out and give it a pot to nestle into.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #9280688

Oh I gotta take pics of my p gloriosums in their little pot, so happy and content! I gotta take pics of everything you all have snt me to show you how happy everything is.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 20, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9280873

Oh my, everyone has such pretties, I am having a terrible time being good and not "acquiring" any more. I need to take better care of what I have now and get all those pots planted so there is less watering to worry about. My BIL wanted to take me to a famous nursery in NJ last week and I actually said no - first time for that! LOL

Paula, I *think* your tiny hibiscus cutting might be in the pavonia family (hibiscus cousins) but I cannot find an image of one with that fabulous coloring, most of them only have a red throat.

The "candlesticks" are opening.
New Guinea Gold seems to like sitting in water - interesting.
Diclorisandra thrysifolia I thought was dead has resurected
A favorite coleus peeking through the purple firespike
Fireworks croton with blue chip.

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 20, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9280882

More from this morning.

Princess Caroline pennesetum. This one is supposed to get to 3' but mine is closer to 6'.
Red Fountains scutellaria.
Some plants have to fight for the light around here. Yellow asclepias peeking through the hib.
An old favorite Ti.
Big Red - it is in too much shade, the color is off.

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia

candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 20, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9280975

Ardesia, beautiful plants. The leaves of the candlesticks are supposedly good for eczema. A guy I used to work with from the phillipines used to rub the leaves on his skin.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 20, 2012
9:46 AM

Post #9281103

WOW, Alice - just beautiful!
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 20, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9281553

Hi Everyone! I've been gone for the last week, my husband and I have been in St. Maarten on vacation. It is so beautiful there! They had candlesticks growing everywhere, as well as sea grape, hibiscus, and crotons.

Ardesia - your plants look great. I really like the fireworks croton and your candlesticks. After seeing these on the island I think I might have to add one of these to my yard.

GAGirl - the color on your rose of sharon is awesome! I just purchased on this year and surprisingly it is doing well.

Dyzzy - are those the Princess Di Heliconias? I just planted some heliconia a couple of weeks ago and they are blooming already.

A pic of me and my husband in St. Maarten
The vegitation around the villa where we stayed
A view from our deck of the beach (the pic does not do the water justice!)

Thumbnail by floridabunnie   Thumbnail by floridabunnie   Thumbnail by floridabunnie   Thumbnail by floridabunnie   

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 20, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9281608

Yes, the sticker calls those Heliconias "Lady Di" though. Guess they named them before she married the prince.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 20, 2012
8:46 PM

Post #9281671

oh Alice, your gardens are beautiful.. * sigh*
welcome home florida bunnie, read the above posts and see if you want any of the things I asked you okay?
boy you two are sure purty.. what a marvelous vacation for you! Beautiful!
Kaitlyn, my faithful dependable beautiful brug is always a bloomer for me, even after her scorhing time outside in the kansas winds and heat..
pink castor
my buddah belly plant i started from seed

my youngest darling daughter has been creating hallloween wear.. ( her favorite holiday) this girl is a mini me..
inside jungle area is getting full already..

floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 20, 2012
8:54 PM

Post #9281682

Hi Debra - I would love to try the Sweet Autumn if you have one to part with! Your pink castor is awesome! How long have you had it that it has bloomed already? You do have quite the jungle going, it looks nice! Looks like some of that Halloween wear glows in the dark! LOL
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 21, 2012
3:44 AM

Post #9281808

Carol, you and DH are a lovely couple - are you in your teens? LOL!

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 21, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9281850

LOL Kay, I was thinking the same. Bunnie, you and your husband are a handsome couple and St. Maarten looks wonderful. And, thank you for the compliment on my plants but perhaps you notice I rarely post photos of trhe whole garden, It is just too jumbled together. I have way too many plants on way too small a lot. I need to rent a trailer and haul stuff down to Paula's acreage. LOL

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 21, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9281855

Woohoo,, bring it on, Alice. I'll even come help you pack it up. LOL
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 21, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9281892

You all are great!
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 21, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9282390

Ha Ha - Kay and Alice - You are too nice. I will actually be 41 in Dec.

Alice - I would probably be drooling if I saw your whole lot. If you decide to head south with those plants, you can stop off at Paula's and then keep heading down to S. FL - LOL!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 21, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9282409

Take heart, Alice. My yard looks just like what you describe - a random jumble of great plants. I have a new garden helper who is making some headway against the weeds. I encourage him by saying as the weather cools off the weeds slow down and the gardeners speed up.

Purple firespike is finally putting up a bloom again. If its history holds it will now bloom all winter, if it stays warm enough.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9282602

that is beautiful, Elaine... so is the ginger behind it!

floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 21, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9282651

Hi Debra - I recognize the jasmine :) I just love the nighblooming ones - their scent is almost overwhelming (which I like). What is the plant in your second pic with the pink blooms? It is so different.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 21, 2012
8:20 PM

Post #9282667

Deb, is that pink salvia - I think Mj calls it 'Coral Nymph' in the 4th picture? Did you raise it from seed, or did Jo give you plants when you visited her?

Bunnie, if I'm not mistaken, the second pic is the wild poinsettia that grows all over here. Don't know if it is a native, or introduced, but it sure makes itself at home in my garden! We need the days to get shorter before it will put on the color in the bracts here. Cooler nights coming next week, so the weather liars say!

Those gingers are one of my favorites, I must admit. The scent is out of this world. Although they get looking a bit sad when it rains as the blossoms go over. A fourth flower opened on my big purple Catt. Like most cats, it seems to want to lay on its side . . . this one smells like spice cookies.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2012
11:06 PM

Post #9282736

beautiful. I love their faces, Elaine. Don't you think some flower blooms have little faces? LOL
I love my night blooming stuff, floridabunnie.. and you do not look a day over 29.
Sister and I will be working on boxes of plants to send out this week.
Blooming English Ivy..This vine is 60 years old and is coming down in October. It is eating our house, Cedar and all.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 22, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9282813

Oh, my word, Deb - I've had english ivy for years and years, when living in Missouri, and NEVER did I see it bloom!
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 22, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9282836

Deb - thanks for your kind words. My grandmother had great genes, hopefully I have inherited some of them :) I think your blooming ivy is awesome!!! I think it looks so quaint growing on the side of homes, but understand it can cause some damage.

Dyzzy - thanks for the ID on the poinsetta, I wonder if it is the jamaican poinsetta that I have seen around here. . .it is pretty. I love anything with bright pink blooms! Your ginger is nice as well. The neighbor behind me has some ginger in their overgrown and unkempt flower bed (they have curbing all around their house and it is full of weeds knee high!) I have been so tempted to go over there and ask them if I can dig it up. . .

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 22, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9282874

Yep, ivy is gorgeous, and it needs to be pretty old before it actually blooms. But it can grow right through bricks, I swear. We had it on a whole wall of our house in Utah, and it came through between the roof and top of the wall into the living room on a regular basis. Deb, I'll bet when you remove it you'll find all sorts of cracks and crevices in the house that you'll need to fill. Your heating bill this winter will be a lot less!

Bunnie, those gingers are really easy to propagate from just an end of a rhizome with maybe one stem and a bud. So next time you see your neighbor, just ask her for a start, you don't need the whole clump.Here are some starts I sent to somebody this spring, and he has a good clump going now.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9282937

Thanks guys, I am going to miss the vine.. it actually has been a good wind block and insulation with a lot of birds living in it ( mostly winged rats as Joe calls the sparrrows) We havn't used the side door over there for over 20 years, so it will be nice to use it. We are going to have the house painted, caulked and sided this fall. It will be different not having that Ivy there.
Sure would love some of your spotted leaf ginger, Elaine, Have some cool named brugs ready to send to a few of you here.. can't wait to leave,Sister is ready for me to go get her, waiting until Joe gets back from store, tho. Going to go out and water before I leave, no rain in three weeks, trying to keep things green until Sister gets here. I can't wait for her to sit on the patio with me and watch the hummers dip around.
florida, we will ne working on your box of goodies too! YAY! I have to have all stuff in and out and sent and all that stuff by October 15th. That is my deadline I set for myself. took a tour this am to see what needs to come out of the ground, not as much as I thought since I already potted up and brought in so much already. Son will be over to help us.. he is just a darling man, I wish he would find a nice girl that likes to garden like he does. *sigh*
Asters are all blooming now..so are the cosmos
chinese beans are JUST now blooming.. dang it

floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 22, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9283275

Debra - I'm sure your sister will really enjoy seeing all of your flowers. Your flowers always look so nice. Can't wait to get by box of goodies! If there is anything you are looking for that I can help with please let me know :) It has done nothing but rain here - wish I could send some your way. In fact, it is raining at a good clip now. . .

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 22, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9283339

Yup, somebody's wringing out a wet sponge over us this afternoon, too. Ick. I'm really looking forward to the dry air they keep promising us.
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 24, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9285431

Did the rain scare everyone away - LOL! Worked out in the heat yesterday, whew! Got a little overheated and almost passed out - it was so humid. . .

Thought I would share a few pics.

Mexican flame vine in bloom
Ground Orchids - been waiting for these to bloom!
New Heliconia - blooming already, hope this is a good sign.
Sweet Almond - smelling up the back yard :)

Not sure what the last one is - weed? flower? I have seen this is a couple of spots. (please disregard the other weeds in the picture - LOL

Thumbnail by floridabunnie   Thumbnail by floridabunnie   Thumbnail by floridabunnie   Thumbnail by floridabunnie   Thumbnail by floridabunnie

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 24, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9285513

Can't see much detail on the flower in that last shot, but it might be a yellow Caesalpinia pulcherimma. They do seed themselves sometimes. Mine is the red/orange one, and I've collected a bunch of seeds from it this summer. The pods explode and shoot the seeds all over the place. So look around within about 20ft. of where that little plant is, and see if there's something similar?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 24, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9285517

Oops, hit send too soon, forgot the picture! This is my C.pulch blooming like crazy over top of the 6ft. fence. It's a really pretty plant, but it gets to the size of a large shrub or small tree.

My ground orchids just started blooming a couple of weeks ago, too. I sure like the color of yours, Carol.

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 24, 2012
9:14 PM

Post #9285583

Happy Birthday Rita. Hope it was great.

Thumbnail by patootie

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2012
4:38 AM

Post #9285711

Please join us on the new thread #126 via this location in cyberspace!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1281645/
prita
Red Oak, TX

September 26, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9286694

Hi patootie, thank you so very much for the birthday wishes and the pretty MG picture! I had a great day. I scored a new wheelbarrow and a new 65 gallon trash can for my planting mix along with a home cooked steak dinner.
I will have to owe you a picture but will wait until construction is finished on my street, and the dust has cleared. I will post my best for you.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #9286989

Rita, glad you had a wonderful birthday. I'll be
looking forward to your pic.
Congrats on the great birthday gifts!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Justicia spicigera Peter63 2 Oct 24, 2008 9:31 PM
caladium "Gingerland" Eclipse 43 Aug 21, 2012 7:10 PM
Malanga(Yautia) rootdoctor 22 Sep 18, 2010 8:01 AM
Castor Bean contest? rootdoctor 411 Jul 16, 2008 6:48 PM
Musa AE AE fivelabs 228 Jun 12, 2013 12:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America