Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Upper Midwest Gardening: Whiteflies!! Is it just me?

Communities > Forums > Upper Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Upper Midwest GardeningReplies: 16, Views: 97
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ghopper
Brewster, MN
(Zone 4b)

September 3, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9263585

Since we are all getting about the same weather I'm wondering if anyone else has as many whiteflies as I do. They're all over everything, annuals, perennials and veggies alike. They don't seem to be doing any particular damage outside. But I'm very concerned about all the plants that I bring in for winter. Last winter I battled them and lost. Anyone have any suggestions for preventing the same thing from happening this year?
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9264674

I would imagine that outside there is a battle going on and they might just stay even or worse, but indoors away from all those other natural "friends"... good luck. Safer insect soap spray would be my first choice. A systemic might be in order. The number one plant that I used to bring inside that brought the most whiteflies with it was Fuchsia. Gave up on having those inside. I have not had a whitefly indoors in over 20 years, thank goodness.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9265157

Last time I had them ,indoor insect spray" P,U." only thing that ever worked as I recall. That was a couple of decades ago also lol The laugh about the same and not about the whiteflies of course. Little "buggers" get into everything.Grrrrr
ghopper
Brewster, MN
(Zone 4b)

September 5, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #9265519

Big sigh! ...Guess I'll do more cuttings than usual. At least those I can wash real good before coming indoors. Safer soap kept the numbers down last year but didn't eliminate the wfs. I spent hours smashing all the eggs that I could find. I wonder if there is something I could dip the foliage in that would kill the eggs but not the plants. Another sigh.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9288331

Well to finish this season i have more whiteflies, stinkbugs, and milkweed beetles, than i have ever seen. This caps off one year i won't soon forget wow!!
So it ain't only you!!
ghopper
Brewster, MN
(Zone 4b)

September 28, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9288644

Everything is indoors now that needs to come in as we're getting regular frosts. No sign of whiteflies indoors yet. Yet! The cuttings are likely all I'll have left come Spring as we are dry as a bone here. Field fires were everywhere during the harvest. Reminds me of the stories of prairie fires back when this area was first settled. What's next...grasshoppers?
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9288712

Locusts.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 28, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9288729

Do the yellow sticky traps work on white flies? I used to have aphid problems indoors until I stopped trying to overwinter certain plants. I do get a couple of spider mites (difficult to get rid of without using harsh chemicals) but will try water misting more often.
Funny about the grasshoppers - I noticed several this year and I usually don't have them here.
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #9288885

Spider Mites are kinda easy to control - Safer Insect Soap Spray used on a regular basis works well, very well.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2012
10:22 AM

Post #9288996

Grasshoppers you say? I have had those all year eating everything!!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 28, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9289118

I'm thinking grasshoppers like sunnier beds than I have had in the past. I only noticed them in the bed that now has more sun exposure. They even ate a few of my lemon tree leaves. :(
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9301787

Ah...I get it now. In my almost full sun garden I had to constantly battle those disgusting things. I my mostly shade garden I have seen ONE!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 12, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9303175

I'm not sure if it was more sun (and we had lots of sunny days this summer -more than normal) or the drought and high temps. Visions of grasshopper hoards briefly crossed my mind. Ugh.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

November 4, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9324450

Whiteflies to *H* and gone up in the g'house...BUT...I have sprayed twice in the last 3 weeks...will do it again later this week. The numbers have gone down drastically since the last spraying. Next time I will use a different chemical so's not to build up resistance to any one mix. Really strange, some things have alot, and some have none. I suppose they have likes and dislikes for host plants. Hibiscus seem to be the worst, but not all of the hibiscus have them.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

November 6, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9326141

I only see clusters of them outdoors in late summer/early fall.
Having a heck of a time finding yellow sticky traps locally. Was hoping to avoid having to mail-order them. I have more issues with fungus gnats lately.
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9326217

I might bet that a good spray with Safer Insect Soap onto the top of the soil in pots might cut back on fungus gnats.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

November 7, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9327265

Hmmm - I"ll have to consider that. I might also try the mosquito dunk thing as well. I have Neem but will have to read up on whether it has any effect on the fungus gnats. Nice thing about the sticky traps is that I can be kinda passive about pest control. :)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America