Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Canadian Gardening: What's Happening in your neck of the woods-Chat with friends

Communities > Forums > Canadian Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Canadian GardeningReplies: 208, Views: 838
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 3, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9263606

OMG, I'm losing it..please please accept my apologies..misnamed the previous thread so here we go again..

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1273243/

Can't you tell I'm tired..

This message was edited Sep 3, 2012 5:42 PM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 3, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9263614

Susan had posted:

I'm first?!?!?!
Thing about Bobs is... We're Bob & Susan, and there are 2 other Bobs in our church. Soon, another Bob & Susan will be joining our church too - she's a retired pastor from another church, and he's her DH.
My sister Ruth is married to a Bob, and my sister Evelyn Used to be married to a Bob. Can you imagine the conversation - Me: "speaking about your Bob, my Bob and her Bob" LOL
Oh, and my DH's father's name was Bob, too, so when I spoke to my MIL she referred to her DH as Bob and my DH as Robert, but we did vice versa - to me my DH was Bob and my FIL was Robert. It was a bit confusing when we spoke.
PLUS the fellow that introduced my DH & I was Rob to me, and Bob to my DH... LOL oh, and it doesn't stop there...
Remember my last job where my co-worker was Linda Joan MacKenzie, and her DH was Robert to my Susan Joan MacKenzie with my DH Bob?
I really could go on... but I think I've done enough LOL

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 3, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9263616

Viola Ann posted:

I found you!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 3, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9263617

Let's hope I'm on the straight and narrow now...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 3, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #9263619

Did any of you see this link???

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1278446/

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 3, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9263639

Am I here yet .. should I knock together the heels of my Ruby slippers ^_^

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 3, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9263643

Betty, checked out the link .. feel so overwhelmed .. would be nice to have something of Carols in my garden ..
Perhaps Susan will be lucky enough to purchase something ?

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 3, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9263652

"M" yes would have been a nice remembrance and each year when it bloomed we would know carol was smiling down at us!

Glad you found us..lol. What a time I had of it. Lol

Just went to check my roast, checked it about an hour ago, been vigilant not to burn it, thought should be done by now, dahhhhh when I checked it last time turned the stove off and didn't put it back on, sooo I'm glad it wasn't for tonight din/din, will be lunch meat.

Darlene just called, said she went through Mike's clothes today and will bring me a bag of it so I can make something for her as a remembrance/keepsake..says its his solidest clothing, the ones he most like wearing..was a lot for her to get at and give to me..glad I've got a lot of projects that have been sitting done so I can take some time and make her something..says it doesn't have to be a designers piece, just something simple to cover her when she is lonely and feeling blue!

Susan that is one heck of a lot of Bob's lol

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 3, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #9263720

Something of Carol's???? I'm in... please send me anything that is originally from Carol please...

Yes, I'm dipping and bobbing all over the place LOL (I'm the "dip" and he's the "bob" LOL)
Funny when I'm "married off" to the current "other 2 Bobs" in our church. Can you imagine what it's going to be like when the other couple "Bob & Susan" start coming to our church? It's going to be "are you referring to the choir members, or the retired pastor & her DH?" Or "are you referring to the choir members Susan & Bob, or the Congregational Susan & Bob?" lol
Here's hoping neither of them join the choir LOL (well, would be nice to have new choir members, and I hear she has a lovely voice)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 3, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9263785

Susan, I posted a link earlier to the plant sale

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9263969

I found you again. Didn't realize that I wasn't on the same link on which I had posted earlier. Now to find the other one and unwatch.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 3, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9263978

Thanks Caroline for posting the info on Carol's Sale. Her garden is fabulous.
Betty
V Ann's seeds were from specific plants and I have labels on them but for fun here is a group photo with one of the smallest by the white stick. It's even smaller than my Cherish. This is about 1/2 of them and you can see how diverse they are.
Then the funky one is not a great photo it's a bit over exposed but you can see the two color's through the hail damage.
I hope it will recover a bit better and then I can send a better one for V Ann. She had suggested that I start them inside early spring and that is what I did. Then they went to this nursery spot and now they need to be moved.
Alberta Ann

Thumbnail by annabell52   Thumbnail by annabell52         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 3, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9263987

So miniature, you've been a good mother to them..look healthy!! Bet you baby them..

Are we able to grow miniatures here or is our winter temps too much for them?

They called for hail several times this summer but thankfully it missed us.
Do you cut your hosta's down in he fall?a friend of mine does and says the plant grows stronger.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 3, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9263997

Betty
V Ann is the expert here on Hostas.
Mini's are all over Canada Lots are good to Zone 3 (me) and I have been successful with them. Yes they get babied but I wasn't able to stop the Hail! I wait until the foliage dies back and then I remove it to reduce the chance of disease's. I don't cut them when they are healthy and standing up. Maybe V Ann has some advise in this regard. I have learned a lot from reading on the Hosta forum and asking questions.
There are also some good Canadian sources for Mail order Hosta's that we can get and they have thousands to choose from.
Alberta Ann

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2012
7:57 PM

Post #9264041

Betty - I have quite a few small and mini hostas and they do just fine here in Ottawa. I DO have most of them in pots and so I generally plant them in my veggie garden for the winter though I have overwintered some hostas in the enclosed porch.

AbAnn - is the one with the white margin from 'Summer Breeze'? I think you said you had an interesting one from it. I'm wondering if that plant and it's family are more prone to interesting progeny. I have an interesting seedling from a sibling sport of 'Summer Breeze' ('Last Dance') that has the reverse margination of the parent. And I just potted up my little seedlings from this year today and there's another from it that looks as though it might become interesting.

I don't remember what other seeds I sent to you but were some of them from mini hostas? If not, they might have been pollinated from mini hostas.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 3, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9264068

Hi V Ann
These are the seeds you sent me: There is Lakeside zinger, Last dance
Francee, Gemini Moon,Kifukorm...,and Summer Breeze. I didn't get any germination from Kifukorm. Some of the darker green babies have light red legs (lakeside zinger tags)Bottom right with flower stalks on them and the light colored pale leaves are mostly Summer Breeze as is the interesting one.
The small ones are really small so they must be a mini cross. The seeds were all planted at the same time so they do show the different sizes as they have all been treated the same and are 3 yrs old . I am just getting the new seeds you have sent ready but I think I will wait until after Christmas to get them going it gives me something to look forward to.

Alberta Ann.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 3, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9264076

Thanks Betty, for posting re: the sale at the Calgary Hort of Carol's plants. I will have to see if I can get to it.
Apparently there is a Plant Share in Carol's garden beforehand. I know I won't be able to go to that. I have nothing to share.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 4, 2012
4:33 AM

Post #9264259

I just think it is such a wonderful tribute to Carol .. I am so happy she made plans to share the fruits of her labour. Anyone fortunate enough to become a guardian of one, or more, of her plants is lucky indeed, most especially the Fern Leaved Peony. A true legacy to Carol.

Off to have an oil change this morning .. was going to have the Toyota customer service car take us to a near by mall, but, re thought it as Lorna would likely have trouble getting into and out of the vehicle. Hopefully 10 o'clock IS 10 o'clock and not 11 !! Mind you, the service dept has usually been quite efficient and on schedule.

PUBLIC school is back to the books today, however, Catholic (Seperate) start tomorrow. I wonder if in my lifetime this difference will be gone ..

Not sure what the weather is forecast to be .. but am expecting MORE heat .. it sure is the BUZzzzzzzzzzzz word around these parts.

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 4, 2012
5:35 AM

Post #9264291

Woke to rumbling this morning but storm seems to have passed me by..thankfully I didn't listen to the forcast and had the sprinkler on most of the day yesterday.

Was on the lookout for school children, stopped for several buses..must remember to leave a few minutes earlier now.

When my kids were in school we had 2 school buses running same route, one for Catholic school board and public school board...imagine that in this day and age..not sure it's still happening, must inquire.

Police have blockaded the exit here for investigation..some think it's a jumper from Bayfield bridge onto the highway, sure hope not because it's something the driver of the car who has no recourse has to live with the outcome..will have to listen to the news..

Hooe dealership is on tme "M"

Yep, what I would give for Carol's leaf peony

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9264386

AbAnn - Lakeside Zinger is a mini hosta, though a fast growing one. It's registered as "parentage unknown"; so who knows how it got so small. Kifukurin Ko Mame is also a very vigorous mini, but doesn't matter since you didn't get germination from it.

I've found 'Last Dance' and 'Summer Breeze' which are siblings - both sports of 'Summer Music' (which looks totally different), to be very fertile. Actually, 'Last Dance' is a 2nd generation sport.

mmer Music (wy)

-> Dance with Me (yg) -> Mango Tango (yg)
-> Foxfire Nightsong (wg)
-> Golden Melody (yy)
-> Green Sleeves (gg)
-> Green Summer Music (gg)
-> Lakeside Meter Maid (wg) -> Lakeside Banana Bay (yg)
-> Nickelodeon (gy)
-> Olympic Magic (os)
-> Southern Music (yg)
-> Summer Breeze (gy) -> Lettuce Salad (gg)
-> Quite Contrary (gw)
-> Stitch in Time (gy)
-> Summer Lovin (gy)
-> Summer Fest (os)
-> Summer Love (yy)
-> Summer Music Gold (yy) -> Last Dance (gy)
-> Summer Music Streaked (os)

I've got 'Mango Tango' too. Will be interesting to see if it produces interesting seedlings too.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 4, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9264565

I've got this picture of Carol from July/11 with her prize winning peonies. I will always remember her love of Shelties and Peonies. I always like Shelties, but not so Peonies. Thanks to Carol, I love Peonies, too!

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 4, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9264628

What a beautiful photo Susan, thanks for sharing. Life is so precious, to think she looked so well last year..goes to show us, live today as best we can!

Been cleaning the gardens ViolaAnn and am amazed at just how many hosta's I have throughout the yard, lots of duplicates but still..maybe I should make a hosta only garden and keep track as you all do, monitor their growth and catalogue what species..sounds like a fun project to do.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 4, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9264645

V Ann your knowledge and organization of the Hosta info always blows me away! thank you for the info!
I see how complicated the variety can be.

Susan Lovely photo!

Alberta Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 4, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9264691

I'm overwhelmed by it!! Both of you really...

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 4, 2012
12:01 PM

Post #9264695

This photo of Carol is one she shared with us in 2011. I wasn't the photographer, but always will keep this on my computer. She was always gracious to me and everyone else that touched her life. To me she is "grace under fire" even when ill, an elegant & lovely hostess at the Lougheed House, caregiver to unfortunate Shelties that came under her care as well as lover of her Fancy, and a gardener extraordinaire. Her gardens were calming, cozy and wonderful. I'm looking forward to seeing her garden again this weekend. It won't be quite the same, but still will impart her presence, I'm sure.
It can't help but...

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #9264744

Be careful, Betty, Growing hostas can become an addiction!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 4, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9264745

I can see that..I've some that are so huge they are taking up 1/2 of 3 gardens..must be the type or they love their home..

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9264974

Hostas vary from only a few inches across at maturity to several feet across (and several feet high as well). The variation in size along with seemingly infinite variations in colour between white, yellow, green and blue is what makes them so addictive.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 4, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9265118

I love hostas. Funny thing is, they usually say the flowers are not consequential, but on some Hostas they are truly beautiful as are the leaves!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9265145

And many of those blooming right now are very fragrant.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 4, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9265198

ah - I can't smell the flowers, but I sure enjoy their beauty!! Only Very strongly scented flowers can I smell - like lilac trees/bushes because they're highly fragrant and there are so many at a time. Can't miss that fragrance!! lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 5, 2012
4:44 AM

Post #9265476

Another day .. with temps back to being what I would call 'normal'.
Oil change yesterday took an hour, had counted on less time than that, so much for being early.
Seemed 80% of Thunder Bay was out and about on the roads yesterday .. just amazes me sometimes how many vehicles can accumulate on the streets ..

Going to try and get in for a haircut today .. fingers crossed it happens .. have ALWAYS had a 'love/hate' relationship with my hair .. let it grow and then grow tires of the time it takes to fix it up.

My Hosta flowers were so very delicate .. not too fragrant though.
The perennial garden got a good soaking last night .. the Rudbekia is flourishing .. I should have listened to Carol when she told me to 'be careful' with it as it tends to take over a garden ..
The roses are thriving too .. I hate to guess when the first 'frost' will hit .. has been as early as Sept 19th.

Have a great day

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 5, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9265707

brrrrrr Sept 19th for frost? yikes!!
I need to cut my hair too...looking "shaggy" lol

Well need to get myself out of the door - off-site church service, and friends are giving me a ride...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 5, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9265719

Sunshine here, real fall day..calling for cooler temps on the weekend..love the feeling of fall!!
Got my hair cut and permed last Thursday night so am ok for a month or so..2nd perm in short span..had one before I left for NewOrleans, asked her to roll it in big rollers and lightly done because I didn't want wee grannie curls so needless to say it didn't last but that was ok.

Don't you feel so much better when your hair looks nice??? Odd time I feel like coloring mine but no, costly to continue doing so..I'm old soooo leave hair white lol

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 5, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9265843

lol Betty - you're a snow-white angel, y'know!! Some people look good in silver/white, while others look drab. I'm one that looks drab when I let the grey take over. I always colour my own, never at a salon where it would be $65 to $70! (maybe more, but I can't afford to frequent Those salons lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 5, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9265853

I'd rather spend my money crafting and/or travelling so white it shall be, drab or not!

Had container of veggies/dip for lunch now I can go to the new quilt shop that just opened, excited about that..bring lunch to save money then go shopping on lunch hour and spend what I saved and more lol

I called to see if they had a kaleidescope mirror for quilting, she believes they do, only open until 5:00 so unless I go at lunch I'd not be able to shop

Suzanne is out of the office tomorrow, I had Monday off, usually work from home on Friday's but heck, thinking of asking to work from home tomorrow as well...soooo is I get sewing supplies I'll have something to play with..if not sewing then maybe work on a piece of stained glass for a gift..maybe I'll e-mail him after I go for lunch.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 5, 2012
11:08 AM

Post #9265861

Got the hair cut .. feel lots better .. stopped colouring mine a while back .. seems it's a light shade of blonde on its own .. weird huh ?

Had lunch at a new Japanese restaurant .. ate WAY too many vegetables .. fills you right up along with the noodles. Not too keen on Tempura .. sure looked good though.

Boy, did Michelle Obama ever WOW the crowds last night at the DNC .. she really is a lovely lady, speaks well and choses her fashions well.
I also see Canada in 'the news' for all the 'wrong reasons' .. I guess the Quebec election will go down in history as one filled with divisivness and violence. Sure makes ya think.

Cooking a ham tonight so I can have the bone for pea soup for the day Lorna's parents arrive .. off to look for whatever little corner I secreted the whole cloves in LoL

~M~

PS .. COOL/rainy day here

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 5, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9265867

LoL .. Betty.. we 'over posted' .. seems we're both full of veggies !!!

Good luck with your shopping .. as I finished the other post, someone sent me a request for a Scrabble game .. can't resist!!

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 5, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #9265873

LOL but Betty... to spend $$ on quilting stuff is a good thing lol
Hope you get to work from home the rest of the week, you would leave less pins and needles on the work floor lol

Boy, both Betty & Marilyn eating veggies today - who'da thunk it? lol

I hadn't heard anything about the Quebec election... yikes!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 5, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #9265875

lol cross-posted lol Veggie day!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 5, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9265983

"M", bet you feel better with a new 'do' blond is good...beats 'white'

heard about the shooting, shaking my head!

Small victory but a victory none the less..won't make much of an impact with regards to separtism, was it 38% only winning by 4%??

Veggies sure filled me up..when I go to the states there is a company brand of pea soup, simply add ham bone, omg it's soooo good. Have a few packages on hand, maybe I will make some this weekend when I have all weekend to eat it.

Beautiful quilting shop and not far from work, maybe that is not a good thing!! after telling me she had the Kaleidescope Mirror for quilt blocks I got there and oh my they must have sold it..she had an order in and it was leaving at 4pm so I paid for it and hopefully her distributor could get it packed with her order..material at these shops are soooo expensive..

Sure would have loved to come home with a new sewing machine..wonder how rich Santa is and could he bring me one??? lol

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 5, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #9266038

and what would you do with all your current sewing machines, Betty?

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #9266041

Well folks, has your news media picked up on the sinkhole story yet? This is a divided highway just east of me that I travel often. In fact I went over it yesterday. And a 5 pm a sinkhole swallowed a car. The hole is now apparently as large as an Olympic sized swimming pool. The road will be closed for days and all the traffic is diverted onto other roads which are gridlocked.
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Photos+Video+swallowed+sinkhole/7189581/story.html

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Sinkhole+repairs+Highway+will+take+days+city+says+with+video/7192874/story.html

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 5, 2012
2:16 PM

Post #9266081

o my goodness, VAnn! Thankfully the driver was able to crawl out on his own!
Can you imagine what he'd say to the insurance company? Yikes!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 5, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9266087

VAnn - I can understand the driver being nervous, and YOU too! To think, you were over that same spot earlier in the day... it doesn't bear thinking about...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 5, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9266118

Omg, how tragic that could have been...shaking my head..haven't seen it here..are there alternate routes that won't create maham?

Hot and humid but feel rain in the air..

Susan would keep the machine, if I bought another it would be for different sewing functions

Thought I'd do a few thing when I got home but nope, laying on the couch watching Hawaii Five o and feels mighty comfortable so might just stay here. Lol

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 5, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9266124

Betty - you sound like my cousin Cher - she keeps every sewing machine she's ever bought, including her mom's old treadle (of course that's natural - good for exercise AND it's a heritage machine!)

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 5, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9266161

Had an email from a friend in Ottawa who uses that exit daily, like you ViAnn, she is counting herself lucky ..
Someone on her FBook said it had something to do with the 'earth shifting' .. you wonder how many other areas might be at risk ... akkkkk .. I don't even want to entertain the notion.

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 5, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9266165

Scary thought indeed "M"

I'm insurance poor, just got my new policy,says I'm not covered for earthquake, wonder if it's something that should be covered these days?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 5, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9266247

earthquake, in central Canada? Perish the thought!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9266304

That road won't be open for awhile. They have to find the appropriate sized pipe and get it to Ottawa, and excavate and replace it. The car will likely end up in the Ottawa River. Took the person who replaced me as director of the Food Cupboard 1 1/4 hours to get home this afternoon instead of the usual 15 minutes. I was fortunate that I live close enough and could avoid the gridlocked roads, at least in the busy direction. I believe they may make a detour on the 174, rerouting east-bound traffic onto one lane of the west-bound side.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 5, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9266312

I'm sure they will have engineers out testing..has your area had similar before?
Besides safety issues just think of the inconvenience. I'm sure as you drive the streets in same area this will be on your mind

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 6, 2012
2:32 AM

Post #9266644

Hello :-(
Sleep evades me .. and I have come to the conclusion our cat Smokey is simply too SMART for his britches !!!
I do believe he can READ the digital clocks in the house, because, at 4am he proceeds to 'chirp' .. kind of a purr/meow mixed together .. sure enough does bother me enough to waken me !!

Lorna is off to her first physio appt today. Has taken SIX WEEKS to get this appt .. this is being done prior to her seeing the orthopedic surgeon re her right knee .. want to build up the muscles in and around her knee .. still have NO idea what they will do with her in the surgery/no surgery dept .

As always, the day after a haircut .. I have severe 'bedhead' .. since my hair is now shorter and layered, it seems to want to go every which way but normal !! Will have to wash it and get the flat iron out.

That sink hole business is just plain frightening .. would imagine any big city would be worried about their infastructure .. look at Toronto and the Gardiner Expwy .. the cement is falling off some of it's older overpasses/bridges ..
As Betty says, we're Insurance poor, with good reason.

Off to shower

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 6, 2012
3:59 AM

Post #9266682

Just daybreak now, stays darker longer every day,,almost feel I'm up getting ready for work in the middle of the night. Well you've an early start to your day "M" that is a plus. Lol.

Every mornimg I get up and as my feet are about to touch the floor I'm looking not to step on Sailor, poor girl!! Missy (kitty) is not pleased with me, a lot of hissing and scratching...she and Sailor were never far from each other..wonder if she is blaming me for putting Sailor down..animals are sooo much smarter than some people give them credit for. Riley, she just comes home to eat and right back outside..not the stay at home kind of kitty until snow falls then no outside for her.

Bet Lorna will be relieved to start her therapy and finally get some answers..been long time coming..bet every morning she gets up she thanks her lucky stars for having a friend such as you.

Seems like Lorna's parents were there visiting..is this an unexpected visit?
Looking at the clock, need to stop at Walmart for a few things so best I leave for Barrie early.

was going to stay home today but I've had Monday off, home tomorrow so think I'd best go in, besides it's payday..lol

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2012
4:04 AM

Post #9266684

Talk about bridges, Montreal is replacing major bridges in their downtown expressway system. We were stuck on Decarie Blvd for about half an hour on a Sunday afternoon a few weeks ago because the bridges leading to Autoroute 40 were being replaced. Can't imagine what it's like during rush hour.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 6, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9266804

Toronto is likely one of the most grid lock city..son Jeff yesterday said that what was a 20 minute drive to work is now 1 1/2hrs on the best of days, yesterday 2 1/2 because of an accident...it used to take me less time travelling from my house to work 110 kl than someone travelling 30 kl in the city...we sure have made a mess of things and then not to upkeep the infra structure..not good

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 6, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9266909

Betty - hopefully Missy will be happier, given time...?!?!

Marilyn - hopefully Smokey will get older and lose track of time like we humans do LOL

Heading out to Bible Study this am - chat later.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 6, 2012
9:13 AM

Post #9266961

Let's hope..got a sympathy card from the vets yesterday..nice bought makes you feel bad again..

Just booked a hotel in Batavia ny to take all the grandsons for time away with grandma..sept 22 weekend..they would love to do Darien Lake, always worry about rain so just in case I booked a hotel with water park inside..make me feel better that we can go rain or shine..
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 6, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9266972

Betty
Missy being a cat is just mad that you took away her favourite possession, a heating blanket! Just kidding as cats do have feelings too, its' just all about themselves.
Alberta Ann

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 6, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #9267136

I think our 2 pups will be lost when Smokey struts over the Rainbow Bridge .. he took to them so well, and, of course, them to him .. just that I am more than positive he can READ a digital clock LoL
Feel bad for your kitter puss Betty .. she likely is missing her buddy.

Physio apt was a 30 minute assessment, the young physio is the son of a colleague of mine, AND, she is not well :-(
Turns out she has developed the same blood disorder Lorna has had for some 20 years .. ITP .. so .. he and Lorna had a lot to chat about.
She starts regular biweekly physio Tues and Thurs @ 10am .. and, we are going back to swimming along with it ..
CHEERS to green hair LoL (for me)

The day is gorgeous! Windy and cool and sunny and very fall like .. accomplished quite a bit outside .
Lorna's parents were here for 2 weeks in June .. so, it does seem a quick turn around, but, since she is uneasy about travelling home, they hop on WestJet and are here in an hour.
They used to travel to FLorida for the winter, but, the cost of health insurance became atrocious.
I 'almost' have Lorna talked into a road trip east .. almost, but she is quite nervous about leaving her 'safety zone'

Your trip with the boys sounds so fun Betty .. am sure you will have a wonderful time ^_^

Off to read a couple of chapters of a book ..

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 6, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9267170

Sure wish you would make a trip this way, but can appreciate Lorna being overwhelmed! Is it at the YMCA you swim? Great exercise for sure.

My mom quit going to Florida for same reason, can't afford insurance. Terrible when it all comes to that for our seniors.

Likely missy is mourning same as her mom, amazing how many times I think I hear Sailor walking or breathing hard..takes us all a bit to adapt to the loss.

I've been complaining a lot of not sleeping, tired, feel like tractor trailor ran me over,bones aching like crazy..Darlene reminded me how a few months ago they said I had high iron, guess its time to check my blood again.

It's absolutely gorgeous out there..went the the fabric shop, imagine, ordered the Quilt kaleidoscope yesterday, her order came in and there it is. Picked up Kentucky fried chicken, ate a piece of chicken and full, so guess who is having Kentucky friend chicken tonight.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 7, 2012
3:42 AM

Post #9267712

Betty, best you get your blood checked and, sooner as opposed to later ..

Brrrrrrrrrrr .. cool morning .. 6C .. can see your breath ..
Smokey did hid 'thing' at 6am this morning .. ahh well, going for breakfast with Jo, so, best I be up and at'em anyway.

Doubtless we'll be making the trip east within the year Betty .. I really would like to go this fall, and am diligently working on it. My vehicle is a year old and so far I only have 15000K on it !! I think it needs a road trip to break it in (before I trade it in again)

The perennial bed is doing so well ... I take it all the flowers love the cool temps .. I'll try for a pic, but, the digital cameras just don't seem to so it justice. Will perhaps ask Gord to take one with his good camera, then I'll wait for the developing .. so strange to think that anitquated when the pics are so much more defined.

Off to shower

TGIF

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 7, 2012
5:46 AM

Post #9267771

"M", you made me smile this morning..my Sonic is 2 months old and has 13, 000 kicks..yes, I am a roadrunner for sure. Keep working on it, fall colors would spectacular if you made it late Sept/early Oct. hint to Lorna that wouldn't it be grand to surprise her parents for Thanksgiving? Halloween?

Had a good laugh this mornimg, put one of my hanging baskets in the pond for good soaking last night, this morning went to get it to hang, as I lifted about 20 frogs went a jumping back into the pond..guess they were enjoying the bed of flowers for their softness..lol

Home today, already been grocery shopping at Foodland, bought some Danish for breakfast treats, so damp, guess that is why it feels cool, brrr as you say "M" and looks like rain at any minute.

Yesterday I cut 2 fabric for 2 wallets to match totes I made for DIL's so perhaps today I'll get a lot of it sewn..keep telling myself to get back into the Christmas spirit, 1/2 done and with all my planned travels and events over next few months can't get off track. I ordered a quilt kaleidoscope from the fabric store, goodness it was here yesterday, they managed to put it in the orfpder that was going out that same day..anxious to see if it works or another gadget to find a home for..need to see if I've any quilt blocks around to see if it does what they say it does..

Along my fencing are 6 to 8 ft of fall daisies, they runaway/invasive but sure hide a lot of area you don't want visible without anything to hold them up..see a few are now in the gardens near the pond, have to take them out now before they get deep rooted.

Look forward to your photo's, not a whole lot in bloom here, will take photo's..the fall moms that have I plant each year once finished as fall decor are just starting to have buds now, should be in bloom for thanksgiving.

Hope it's a sunshine day in your neck of the woods

Can you join in with photo's of your gardens, love seeing photo's

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 7, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9267989

lol Betty on the froggies jumping out - can just "see" them lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 7, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9268354

Ahhahahha .. Betty, so funny about the frogs .. perhaps it was warmer in the plant container ... would have made a great picture ..

Try as I might, I didn't get a pic of the bed today. Was heading out twice, and twice I got led astray .. perhaps tomorrow will be better for me ..

I sure haven't put much mileage on my Rav .. but I did notice (much to my chagrin) that someone has scratched my back bumper with their vehicle .. grrrrrrrrrrrrr .. not too sure if I can buff it out or not ...

I'm off to watch a movie .. busy day cleaning/tidyng/baking and cooking tomorrow .. plus the EVER FAMOUS laundry !!!

Sleep well

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 7, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9268410

Isaac made it to my neck of the woods this afternoon..was in town and it was worse than driving in a blizzard in order for me to get home. Talk about wind, torrential downpour. Stopped raining for now..they say 100% chance of rain tomorrow, guess that is pretty likely we will right? Lol

Played with sewing for a bit..pattern mega confusing, sure wish these pattern designers would sit a few newcomers and have them try the pattern out, when unable to re write more clearly..perhaps another day!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 7, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9268570

Well, Bob & I went to the beer tasting and tour... very interesting, these Micro Breweries...

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 7, 2012
8:40 PM

Post #9268572

I know what you mean about confusing instructions... I got a Quilter's World magazine, and it has a "simple" set of instructions for an Easy to make Baby quilt for a baby shower... can't make head nor tails of the instructions...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 8, 2012
4:33 AM

Post #9268709

Written instructions are NOT my forte at all !! I'm a 'show me' kinda gurl.

Another Brrrrrrrrrrrrr morning here in TBay .. the 2 wee Westies love it .. Smokey is searching for warmth, which means he;ll be snuggled into the quilt on the bed when I go to make the bed, which in turn means I'll have to disturb him, and, even though he wakens us at night, the thought of disturbing him makes me feel bad .. LoL

Looking at the fridge and getting ready to plan my attack .. It has to be tidied and the freezer portion cleared out .. never again will I have a side by side ..

Susan .. I wish you well at Carols Garden Sale .. you are fortunate indeed.

Betty, I hope the rains stop soon .. Lorna's folks are experiencing much of the same ..

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 8, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9268750

Morning all,

Restless night, thought if I counted rain drops rather than sheep I'd fall asleep but no go. Likely they are getting the same as I, rain, not torrential but heavy and grumbling.

Maybe I'll get ambitious with you and at least do my mine before the science projects start. Did it a few weeks ago so should be quick...maybe ill add throwing away any expired dates on cans and boxes..Did my stove yesterday so why not have a matching set. Less than an hour of work then I can play.

Better get a mone on or else i will be sitting on the couch watching movies and will not be a happy camper

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 8, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9269058

I think we're good to go .. the freezer cleaning only took about a half hour .. felt bad throwing some 'stuff' out, but, had NO clue what it was.
Freezer looks awesome now .. lotsa room ..

Cleaned the bathrooms, did 3 loads of laundry and then decided to make peanut butter cookies, Lorna's Dads favourite.

Right now I am POOPED .. time to rest a bit before supper ..

Susan .. how was the Garden sale at Carols?

Toodles

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 8, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9269144

Just got home from the Heritage Village annual veggie & fruit sale... 1 hour in line, then carting 140 lbs of stuff, then home... exhausted and hope I can make it to Carol's garden... it's over in an hour.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 9, 2012
4:06 AM

Post #9269601

Hope you made it to Carols Susan, but, I would imagine putting away 140lbs of 'stuff' would take a bit of time.
I wonder if anyone will have taken any photos?

Up early (don't ask why 'M E O W") .. made pea soup in a crock pot overnight, turned out well .. will have that with cold cuts and buns once we get back here from the airport this morning.
Lorna's folks have been up since 4am, if not earlier. Her brother picks them up and takes them to the airport. Grant lives in Tottenham/Beeton.

Another chilly morning .. no dew though .. weird huh ?

Hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 9, 2012
4:38 AM

Post #9269612

Morning, overcast but no rain although they are calling for more.

Beeton is a distance to travel at that time of morning..nice of him for sure to drive them to airport..wouldn't limosine be just as easy..likely more costly but easier.They are lucky their health is ok for travelling, they'll be tired early evening for sure.

Enjoy the visit "M"..

I made a nice stew yesterday so won't be cooking today.

Up since 4am, decided instead of tossing and turning I'd just get up..

Darlene brought me a bag of Mike's clothes to do a memorial quilt with, washed and dried everything yesterday as it had the smell of smoke..just finished cutting what can't be used of i.e. collars / bands so that I can start the project.

In the meantime I saw a quick project, xmas table runner on u tube so decided to give it a try..me thinks I made it just a bit too long so whoever gets this one I'll have to make sure has a long table...lol just the quilting left to do on it and I can do freehand on the machine..cut enough for at least 3, didn't realize how little fabric this project took but that's ok, few extra gifts won't hurt.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 9, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9270018

Good ol WestJet ... the flight was 12 minutes early ^_^
A good flight, and, the folks look wonderful ..
Lunch was yummy, everyone is just kind of winding down right now .. then a light supper.
Am attaching a pic of Lorna and her parents taken today. I had a cake made for their visit, both Mom and Dad have a sweet tooth :-)

Sounds as though your busy busy Betty .. the Memorial quilt is such a nice gesture ..

Off I go

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 9, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9270070

Love the photo "M"' ..better early than being delayed and your having to sit.
Bet it's supper, tea and piece of cake which I must add looks yummy and early bedtime for all.

I can't believe I still feel energetic..sewing went so well today that I didn't think of lunch till almost 3:30' got 3 runners sewn, working on the 4th then will clean craft room..thought as everything went together it would be better to continue and pick another day for quilting..rather proud of myself..more Christmas pressies. Lol. I know stop the Christmas comments.

Kyle was here awhile ago..said his boss ison vacation, won't be back till mid week at which time Kyle will ask for the 22nd off Togo to Darien Lake with the rest of us.

Just finished my plate of stew, now I have to figure out if iwant to do nothing or go with first plan and continue sewing.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 9, 2012
9:50 PM

Post #9270403

Didn't get to Carol's yesterday, darn Google maps don't know areas, and it'd been 1 1/2 years since I went to her place, so drove around for 3/4 of an hour in her neighbourhood and couldn't find her place...

So tired, first time on the computer today and it's 11:45pm... Went to service this am, then was up on the roof this aft, helping by pulling nails, tearing up shingles and roofing paper... preparatory to putting new paper and shingles up Big wind storm hit, and almost blew Bob & I over. Did blow a piece of sheet tin into our neighbour's yard. Dented it a bit, so it's garbage. I was so shaky and glad to get down. Then I made dinner, and vegged out. Only reason I got on the computer is because Bob needed some answers re: his RP game on his system...

Good night all...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 10, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9270645

Oh well Susan, you tried .. perhaps CJ or Joanna will have taken some pics, or, will update us as to how things went.

In high gear here .. going sight seeing this morning, weather is beautiful, sunny and 21C.

Hope everyones week is splendiferous ^_^

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 10, 2012
9:16 AM

Post #9270815

Here's some pics of the work we're doing on our home...
#1 installation of wall on north side
#2 installation of wall on west side (the side that was rotten)
#3 cedar posts Bob was given at a job site - renovation
#4 cedar posts installed
#5 overhang - goes from north wall, past doorway, to the front of the picture which is the gate and steps to the deck - about 17'

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B   Thumbnail by Tallulah_B   Thumbnail by Tallulah_B   Thumbnail by Tallulah_B   Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 10, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9271255

Yay for Bob .. he obviously knows what he's doing .. I can imagine you're thrilled to have the fix done ^_^

Busy day ... as always when company is here .. hope I can keep up the pace .. almost wish I had a chef who would be charged with 'thinking up' the meals ..

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 10, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9271517

Marilyn - I tell him time and time again how proud I am of him. I think it's encouraging him to do more lol
I just asked him if he thought we'd be able to use the deck before the season is totally changed... I miss having my coffee outside in the morning... it's all covered with tools, material, and sawdust lol

You don't need a chef... like me, you need a WIFE lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 11, 2012
2:58 AM

Post #9271650

Morning all..

Not sure what the weather will be today, up since 4:30am' packing up project I'm doing for Darlene..memorial quilt to be done with Mike's clothing..crazy quilt to bring to work to pass my day..

Was so tired last night, didn't get to walk the gardens to see what fall flowers might be in bloom..put that on tonight's agenda.

Susan, both you and Bob are doing a fantastic job, big undertaking and at the speed Bob's working I'm sure you will get to sit out and enjoy a few fall days.

"M". What is on the agenda today? Tell them they are missing some gorgeous sunshine days..bad weather left with them. Lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 11, 2012
3:45 AM

Post #9271663

A day of reprieve (a little) .. Lorna's folks will come out here while I go into the city for a docs appt.
I wracked my brain for supper ideas, and finally decided on Swiss Chalet LoL

Weather here has been stellar .. went on our little drive yesterday, saw some deer, some lake boats (ships) .. and, of course, the CRAZY drivers here in TBay ..

Hope the Memorial quilt from the clothing will go along smoothly Betty .. it sounds fascinating, I wouldn't have clue one wht to do to even start something like that, but, I do feel Darlene will find comfort in it ..

Have a great day alll

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 11, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9271762

"M" does that mean that Lorna's folks aren't staying with you???
Swiss Chalet is a great choice, anything you don't have to cook over is a good choice.

Mike's birthday "M" is on Monday, I'm so hoping if I can get my act together I will have it ready for her for that day..a lot of the work is cutting off cuffs/bands/collars/zippers to get it ready for the project. I saves the buttons off the clothing to add here and there.

I've just got myself organized here at the office, now I'm setting up a craft room..lol
ironing board, cutting board, iron/sewing machine..glad there is a spare meeting room, when not working I can shut the door..my thoughts is to leave everything here for the next few days..surely within 3 days I could have it done..here's hoping

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 11, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9271922

ah Betty - doing that memory quilt for Darlene, in time for Mike's birthday, is wonderful. What a jewel of a friend you are!

Marion - the Happiest of Birthdays is what I wish for you!!

~M~ - enjoy Swiss Chalet! We don't go, partly because it's always so crowded! A very popular place. It's been said that if you can do chicken well, you can cook anything!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 11, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9271927

Marion's on a different thread Susan..

Just spoke to Darlene, she asked if I could use the sheets Mike used on his bed as backing..I already purchased backing but am sure it can be used for something else..didn't tell her why but asked her to drop it off as soon as she can.

Love Swiss Chalet combo..their ribs are excellent.

Shortly they'll be having their Thanksgiving Feast with dressing, perhaps even now..drats, now you want me walking across the street for dinner

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 11, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9271977

oh shoot... I have 2 windows open, and post in both at the same time LOL
Betty - walk across the street as in - there's a restaurant to get your dinner from? LOL

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 11, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9272006

I'm at work, so there are about 30 restaurants on this strip, one being Swish Chalet directly across from the doors I walk out of..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 11, 2012
11:41 AM

Post #9272060

ah ic

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 11, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9272098

It's not a good thing, likely why I put on so much weight lol

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 11, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9272158

lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 11, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9272254

Swiss Chalet was a hit. Lorna's Dad and Gord and I had the fish and chips, Lorna and her Mom had chicken .. all TAKE OUT .. picked it up after my docs appt and ferrired it home ..

Lorna's parents are staying at a motel in the city. It's set up for handicap access as her Dad has had 2 hip replacements.
Staying here with us would be very difficult .. we did try it once, and they felt with 2 handicap people in a house it got pretty busy.
The motel is beautiful, has a pool that her Mom loves to use, and, as they have Lorna's car they are free to go shopping at a few of the malls in the area ..
As it is they're here at the house by 11am, have lunch and supper here and we play cards or do whatever comes up ..

Betty, that Memorial quilt sounds so nice, what a treasure ^-^

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 11, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9272335

That helps a bit "m" having a bit of your day to yourself and keeping somewhat the same schedule. That a girl, everyone eating their favorites and no pots to wash.. Near a perfect day here weather wise.

Not sure I'll ever have the quilt done for Tuesday, think the project is more time consuming than I estimated..might have to stick with it being a Christmas gift..left my sewing machine at work..figure tomorrow and Thursday and perhaps Friday all the square could be done..she asked if Mike's bedding fleece sheets could be used,mated to say no so maybe typing the quilt could be a possibility and if I do that then who knows, could have it ready for Tuesday..maybe if I don't sleep for next 4 or 5 days it could happen. Lol

T.v. bingo tonight..sure would be nice to win the $2,500 well Ann and I play and say we'll split so $1,250 would at least pay a good part of a riding lawnmower..cross your fingers..prayers are kept for something much more important than winning a game of chance

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 11, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9272348

Here's hoping you get what you can on the quilt, so she'll have it when you can get it done.

Hoping for your luck to be good tonight, Betty!! $1200 would be a nice part of the riding lawnmower!!
XX X XX (fingers crossed BIG Time lol The one in the middle is my thumbs!)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 11, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9272358

Then I'm sure I shall win Susan..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 11, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9272436

:-)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 11, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9272463

Susan, one of yur toes must have uncrossed..we didn't even get close.
Tired tonight so off to bed I go.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 11, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9272530

my toes weren't crossed, only my li'l fingees! (and thumbs)...
Sorry you didn't win...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 12, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9273303

I am STILL in 'going to do it' mode re TV Bingo .. it's a good cause .. just that the cards aren't available at a convenient place for me.

Lab work was a nightmare (as always) for me, I grin and bear it .. but, after 4 pokes and no blood, the inevitable comes, they start an IV and let the blood drip into the tubes :-(
At any rate, they didn't get enough, so, back I go tomorrow. My veins are deep and thin and apparently hide when chased by a needle.
NO fasting tomorrow, I'll make sure I'm well hydrated and, my arms will be WARM !!! It was cool out this morning and I was pt #1.

Had Chinese food for lunch .. Lorna's Mom just loves it .. tomorrow I am cooking a Prime Rib dinner with garden veggies ..
I must admit I'm getting tired .. love the company, but, between appts for either Lorna or myself mixed in with activities with her parents it can get busy.

Cool day, very fall like ..

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 13, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9274016

hoo boy... now I AM confused. Went through 2 different "new" links to get to this thread. This IS where we're "roosting" right?!?!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 13, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9274350

EIGHT, count'em 8 MORE pokes, and, finally a tech got a vein in my wrist .. I am DONE with blood work for another year ...

Dinner went well ... and now we have just 2 days left .. more sight seeing tomorrow, hopefully out for supper too ^_^

Susan hope you don't have trouble finding us again ..

Raining for a bit right now .. nice for the trees :-)

Cheers

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 13, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9274367

I'm here, Marilyn
8?! sounds like a "wannabe lab tech..."

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 13, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9274379

"M" bet you feel. Like a pincushion..yikes, a week has gone by already? What kind of things are you sightseeing!

Susan, how are the reno's coming along..

Haven't had supper..cereal then bed

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 13, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9274434

Bob took the night off last night, from reno (don't blame him, he's so tired... and it's been a week & a half.
He's off to Choir Practice tonight - I just didn't feel like going out today, so I didn't go to Bible Study and not to Choir Practice tonight.
I'm doing fall-time cooking ahead to freeze. Making Baked Beans tonight. and all the dishes!!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 14, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9275267

One day left, hard to fathom.
Went to my brothers home on the lake today .. gosh .. such a beautiful spot .. Lake Superior was a beautiful blue colour .. and, our Sleeping Giant looked stellar .

Went to a lovely restaurant by the water for lunch .. then back here for cards and conversation .. all in all a great day .
Tomorrow will be the last hurrah before the 4am pick up Sunday morning and then off to the airport.
Have to say the visit went quickly and the weather was perfect !!!

Baked Beans sounds good Susan .. Gord made chili the other day .. another great fall dish.

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 14, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9275378

Love chili - used to have it at The Salisbury House, in Winnipeg (it's a Winnipeg institution f'sure!!!). They make great chili). They also make great burgers...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 15, 2012

Post #9275764

Covered the Cannas last evening, just in case, but, no frost .. whew ,,

Supposedly the LAST nice day for a week is today .. so .. CARPE DIEM !!
Off I go ..

Enjoy your weekend

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 15, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9275787

Morning, beautiful fall day here..

Breakfast and housecleaning behind me, going out this evening but have entire day ahead of me..into sewing right now so imagine I'll stick with it!

This is the first year in many that I don't have canna's "M" forgot to bring them in and the church didn't have their yearly plants sale so wasn't able to purchase any. Smart lady, although they are calling for a warm fall one never knows when frost or the bad word that starts with 's' will be around.

You've had a wonderful week with Lorna's parents, you are very kind to them all..sure hope they treat you like one of yours.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 15, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9276126

Excellent supper .. who can screw up BBQ burgers and salad LoL
Parents are back and in bed, and I will be heading there soon as well as we are up at 4am to get them off to the airport.
The Parkers are amazing people .. kind and generous and WICKED card players :-)
It'd be nice if they could be here permanently, but, like they say .. their roots are deep in Eastern On. Both were born and raised there .. Woodbridge area (before the Mafia) ..

The Cannas are looking kind of exhausted Betty, am thinking we'll be taking them out of the ground soon ..

Night night (@ 6:15pm)

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 15, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9276166

Marilyn - you must really be tired - night night @ 6:15???
Glad you are having a good time with Lorna's parents

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 16, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9276523

Morning all, spectacular day here..have the fireplace on but only to take the morning chill away brrr

Imagine "m" you are back from the airport and will shortly take a snooze..glad the week was once again a total success...bet Lorna hated to see them leave!

Was at Georgian Downs last night..broke even on the horses..lordytheyput on quite s buffet spread.

Mom wanted for her birthday which is tomorrow, a floral on her mom's grave sight so last night I dropped into Micheals, bought one then first thing this morning headed to the cemetery and out it on..mom will be pleased, odd kind of b'day gist but she said her mom has been on her mind of late..she died several months before I was born, think she was 34.

So that is how my day started out, now back to sewing on Mike's memory quilt..Lordy feel as though I'm hanging out with the deceased lately. Want to find a few hours though to go play in the gardens

Hope there is sunshine n your neck of the woods..

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 16, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9276568

YAWN ...
No collisons with deer on our travels .. that was my only worry about being on the roads in the pitch black. BUT (always that but) a young man on a bicycle flew out of a side street directly in front of me by the University (thank heavens for lighting there) I braked, but, the police car going to a call alongside me and going much faster JUST missed hitting him .. I actually had to stop the car to calm down !!

Plane left on time, the Parkers are home, beautiful flight, and I am doin laundry !!!

Good luck with the memory quilt Betty ..

TTYL

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 16, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9276744

Omg "M" thank goodness for presence of mind andslower speed..scarred the beejeebers out of you I'm sure!

you just have to be so alert when driving!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 16, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9276954

Just wasn't that young mans time I guess Betty.

Have some news .. don't know if y'all remember me talking about having been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis and osteo arthritis a few months back .. I was going to physio as it was plaguing my right hip .. well it went on its merry way and has HIT several more joints in the past while .. badly enough that I have had to be 'put on' a pain patch .. the drug is called 'fentanyl', and, once it gets into my system (takes 72 hours) I am hoping for some relief from this horrible debilitating pain. How I made it through that visit is beyond me .. but .. I think people have a small 'reserve tank' somewhere that they rely on .. well .. mine is dry right now.
I put on patch #1 today .. nothing will happen for 72 hours .. when I put on patch #2 I should feel relief of some sort .. down side .. the only thing I can take for pain (which I still have plenty of) is tylenol extra strength .. hardly touched this pain ..
Anyway .. way I look at it, is, it could be worse .. look at poor Carol.

Off to bed .. have several NCIS discs to watch ^_^
Night ladies

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 16, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9276972

my goodness, Marilyn!! How frightening is that?!?! Did the cyclist at least have reflectors on? And they should know better than to cross a busy street on a bicycle!!! I know my heart would be "in my mouth"!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 16, 2012

Post #9276976

oh - I hope the pain patch takes effect quickly for you, M... I'm praying for you...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 16, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9277036

"M" believe Darlene is on same, she says it works wonders..just takes a bit to get used to as to when and how many times depending on pain you can put a new one on.Didn't realize you were in quite so much pain..sending prayers/hugs that this is your answer..yep, often think of Carol and the battle she graciously faught.

just finished the memory quilt top, really did more than I should have today, should have enjoyed some of the weather, time is at a premium so best I sew till I drop..which I did, so it's off to bed

Hope you all enjoyed some of your gardens and some sunshine

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 17, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9277486

Morning ... actually not much sleeping going on for me .. guess I'll catch up when the med starts working ..

The young man on the bike totally 'blew through' the intersection on a GREEN for me going north and a RED for him going east .. I was the only car on the road except for the police crusier which had just pulled out of the police station and was obviously heading out on a call .. angels were watching that young man ..

Betty .. please do take a pic of the quilt .. I think that that it just going to be the most wonderful momento.
Spent lots of time outside yesterday .. good thing, we have rain for the rest of the week, and cool(er) temps .. I managed to take a pic of the big perennial bed, just have to upload it.

Lorna has a docs appt at 3pm, and I want to be first on the phone today to get tickets to our local theatre groups 'Patsy Cline' tribute .. it's apparently very good, and, there's a Matinee on Wednesday.

ENjoy your week everyone ^_^

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 17, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9277607

"M" went to Fort Myers Fl. to see the Patsy Cline tribute artist, if she's the same one or has as much talent, she'll blow you away!

Sorry you are not getting any rest, to be in constant pain is overwhelming..let's hope the patches start working.

I'm sure the young lad's parents likely don't know how lucky they are to have him with them.

Kyle came home yesterday, he had a story to tell..he says he was going into Midland, there is an off ramp, said an old red truck didn't see him and just scraped the side of his jeep taking off the mirror..Greg isn't quite sure that's the story but what can you do..if it is not the real story I'm sure it will eventually come out

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 17, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9277673

Hope you get some relief and rest soon, Marilyn
I suppose the bikes have to be licensed, and that the police may have caught it? As they were likely on a "call" I'm sure they wouldn't have time to chat with him, but hope he's learned his lesson... angels were certainly looking out for him.

Betty - did the old truck stop? I know that the young can sometimes "fabricate" stories to make them look good... my daughter and her friends did that once, just to get some attention. She & her friend ended up doing community service to pay for wasting the police dept's time...2 weeks

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 17, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9277682

Truck did not stop and damage to Kyle's Jeep..easy fix he says

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 17, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9277690

oh... when Bob had a similar accident (van pulled out of a housing complex (and was def in the wrong), they also took off him mirror and it would have cost him $2k+ (?!) for the mirror and side-swiping of bumper etc - $200+ worth for the mirror - insurance paid for it. Remember the young woman who hit him and gave her ph# and name but no licence #? We went to the police and after 4 months they not only caught the out-of-country driver using her Calgary aunt's vehicle, but I know the owners had cancelled the insurance so that was taken care of too. I suppose they would have to pay more because the van's insurance was cencelled right after an accident, but would pay penalties, too...
And I suppose Kyle didn't get a license plate#?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 17, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9277702

Think it excited him too much as he was trying to keep on the road

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 17, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9277707

Glad he wasn't hurt, and no other damage...

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 17, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9278136

How Exciting!! I got a call from a church sister of mine, and she told me our community center is doing a proposed "community garden"!! The meeting is tonight, and I found a Keyhole Gardening info on DG - I'm going to bring a print-out of the concept to them tonight at the meeting. I told the organizer about it, and he's quite excited!
Keyhole gardening is good for poor soil & drought conditions.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9278257

Do you require bike licences in Calgary? We don't here in Ottawa.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 17, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9278391

We do need them... in Manitoba too!

Well, just got home from the Community Garden meeting... yikes... I'm on yet another committee...
Turns out this is a grassroots committee, building a community garden, and there will be subcommittees:
Design / Build
Communications (I'm on this subcommittee)
Events/Fundraising - looking at grants, etc
Finance (once Events/Fundraising get the $$ they pass it to them to put in an account, etc)
So, subcommittees meet in 2 weeks, pass info to main committee and meet each month. First meeting actually in 3 weeks.
Sounds like it's going to be very busy for next 4 months...
The garden plots haven't been set up yet, only on paper. So, hexagon, or rectangular, or keyhole...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 17, 2012
11:43 PM

Post #9278504

Morning,

Need either sleeping pills or sledge hammer..long night when no can sleep!

Hear the wind howling, sounds same as a blizzard...lol

There is talk Viola Ann that fees be applied for licensing in Toronto and $$ spent on bike lanes on specific main routes. Forget how much was spent to mark out bike lanes only to pay as much to remove them..quite the controversy.

You will need one tremendous amount of energy Susan to keep up with all those committee's but watch you do not get volunteer burn out.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 18, 2012
4:28 AM

Post #9278558

Good morning ...
No bike licences here .. on a pedal bike .. just on scooters, motorcycles and the like.

Furnace came on this morning at 4am .. I am pretty sure there's no frost though, didn't see any on the roof when I was out with the dogs.

Good luck with the Community Garden Susan .. have a friend in Ottaw who is invloved with one .. meaning she has a plot .. seems like a well run venture.

Making an apple pie from our apples this morning .. best get organized.

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 18, 2012

Post #9278598

Who ever has Noah's Ark, please send it my way!

Torrential downpour, street I drive into mall has about 1' of water..no letting up..we will be in trouble if it continues to rain all day like this.

Can smell apple pie/cinnamon from here..keep me a piece for my din/din please.

Yikes, calling for 90% rain this weekend in Darien Lake..glad I found hotel with indoor watermark otherwise there would be nothing for the 4 grandsons to do..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 18, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9278869

Betty - wish I had the Ark cuz I'd pass it on to you... we don't need it, happily...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 18, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #9278917

Slowing down, canoe will do

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 18, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9279119

I might be requesting a SHOVEL from old Noah !! At least a windsheild scraper .. it is C O L D here .. maybe 8C and will drop into the
M I N U S category tonight.
Wore just jeans and a sweatshirt out today, could have used a jacket though.

Lorna saw the should surgeon .. everything is A OK and stable there .. her hubby is one of the knee surgeons and she asked Lorna if she had seen him yet, when Lorna said no, she got up, went to his office and came back with an appt for Sept 27 !! Otherwise it would have been another month or more .. nice to see some docs DO have a conscience .. hopefully he'll just see how she makes out with the physio before he makes a decision on whether or not to operate on her right knee .. she kind of needs it !!!

Tired here .. these busy days are taking a toll !!

TTYL

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 18, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9279201

"M" have the heat on, warm bath, inmmy jammies and now on the couch covered up in flannel rag quil..talk about cold.

Glad there was good news for Lorna and great timing getting an appt with dr's hubby so quickly.

How are your meds working?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 18, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9279212

Sadly Betty the patch is not working for me .. yet ..
Apparently I will feel a difference when I remove this first patch and replace it with a new on tomorrow .. I am sure hoping so !!

Apple pie was a hit, have oodles of apples from the tree the apples came from .. so .. looks like some pie making is looming ..

Early to bed .. cuz early to rise in the morning ..

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 18, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9279270

Sorry to hear its not working as yet, let's hope they are right and the 2nd one does the trick...guess ur takes awhile for meds to be absorbed!

Apple pie with scoop of ice cream..sure wish I had the pie, have the icecream..if it were not for being in my pj's I'd scoot to Foodland to get one..hmmm heat it up, melting ice cream..mouth watering.

Wonder how quickly the gardens will go to pot in this weather

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 18, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9279465

Betty - do you have any Rootbeer? A Rootbeer float is great...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 19, 2012
4:29 AM

Post #9279680

Waiting for the darkness to clear so we can assess the frost damage.
I know for sure the Cannas are toast .. am sitting here with 2 hanging baskets of wave petunias beside me, and my Hibiscus .. along with 3 baskets of tomatoes at varying stages of ripening.

Read on the 'Carol's Plants' forum that the proceeds from the sale of her plants (99.9% perennials) was $9300.00 !!! Truly amazing I must say.

Lorna has an appt for blood work this morning, and, I plan to hit Shoppers DrugMart once again to pick up Paper Towels and bathroom tissue, both on sale for a phenomenal price .. noticed people coming out of the store with carts full yesterday, went in, and, sure enough .. $4.99 for 6 large rolls of Bounty paper towels, and, $4.99 for 12 double rolls of Royale toilet paper.

Used Cool Whip in place of ice cream on the pie .. these particular type of apples I used, tend to render down to almost a semi apple sauce state when cooked in a pie .. as I said .. I'll be a bakin machine here for a bit, must pick up some Crisco and 7Up ..

Have a super Wednesday everyone

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 19, 2012
6:03 AM

Post #9279764

Are you making and freezing the pies "M"..

OMG that is a tremendous amount of $$$, am sure much went a lot higher than in nurseries just because it was in Carol's name.

Didn't look at the gardens this morning, almost afraid to do so..talk about cold..had to go in search of fall/winter clothing.

Left the house and it was raining, did so almost until I got to Barrie.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 19, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9279925

I'm looking forward to Joannabanana bringing me a lily from Carol's Garden!! She'll be by about noon, so best go to the bank lol

So much of my garden is dry, dry, dry, and then throwing of the shingles off the roof did some damage to plants, too... nothing that's not retrievable, but still is hard on them all.

I'd best get motoring on my house - everything has been shifted around (more tools in our porch, and the den looks like a hurricane hit it because Bob's got some of the wall that's broken away in it, plus had to move his computer desk etc).
What a mess... throwing out a bookcase because of the water damage that wicked from the wet carpet... etc, etc, etc...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 19, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9280275

That is one big project..always the way, got to make a major mess to end up with a piece of art!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 19, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9280278

a "work of art" eh? I'll have to tell Bob that lol

okay, my daughter just sent this to me... (snicker - Bob's the "browser" and I get BORED!) lol

RETIRED HUSBAND
After I retired, my wife insisted that I accompany her on her trips to Target.

Unfortunately, like most men, I found shopping boring and preferred to get in and get out. Equally unfortunate, my wife is like most women - she loves to browse.
Yesterday my dear wife received the following letter from the local Target:

Dear Mrs. Harris ,
Over the past six months, your husband has caused quite a commotion in our store. We cannot tolerate this behavior and have been forced to ban both of you from the store. Our complaints against your husband, Mr. Harris , are listed below and are "documented by our video surveillance cameras":

1. June 15: He took 24 boxes of condoms and randomly put them in other people's carts when they weren't looking.

2. July 2: Set all the alarm clocks in Housewares to go off at 5-minute intervals.

3. July 7: He made a trail of tomato juice on the floor leading to the women's restroom.

4. July 19: Walked up to an employee and told her in an official voice, 'Code 3 in Housewares. Get on it right away'. This caused the employee to leave her assigned station and receive a reprimand from her Supervisor that in turn resulted with a union grievance, causing management to lose time and costing the company money.

5. August 4: Went to the Service Desk and tried to put a bag of M&Ms on layaway.

6. August 14: Moved a 'CAUTION - WET FLOOR' sign to a carpeted area.

7. August 15: Set up a tent in the camping department and told the children shoppers they could come in if they would bring pillows and blankets from the bedding department to which twenty children obliged.

8. August 23: When a clerk asked if they could help him he began crying and screamed, 'Why can't you people just leave me alone?' EMTs were called.

9. September 4: Looked right into the security camera and used it as a mirror while he picked his nose.

10. September 10: While handling guns in the hunting department, he asked the clerk where the antidepressants were.

11. October 3: Darted around the Store suspiciously while loudly humming the 'Mission Impossible' theme.

12. October 6: In the auto department, he practiced his 'Madonna look' by using different sizes of funnels.

13. October 18: Hid in a clothing rack and when people browsed through, yelled 'PICK ME! PICK ME!'

14. October 22: When an announcement came over the loud speaker, he assumed the fetal position and screamed 'OHNO! IT'S THOSE VOICES AGAIN!

15. Took a box of condoms to the checkout clerk and asked where is the fitting room?

And last, but not least:

16. October 23: Went into a fitting room, shut the door, waited awhile, and then yelled very loudly, 'Hey! There's no toilet paper in here.'
One of the clerks passed out.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 19, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9280366

Laughing away..

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 19, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9280369

LOL

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 19, 2012

Post #9280373

I would say that is indeed one bored man...

What is the weather like in your neck of the woods ViolaAnn?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 19, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9280412

I like the last one !!!

Don't know about Ottawa but Thunder Bay was FRIGID today even though our weather person said it was 15C .. funny how they stop saying anything about windchill when the temp goes up a bit, and, the wind was quite brisk and out of the north .. I had a pair of gloves on when I left home this morning .. AND .. my fleece lined Crocs ..

Well .. I took off patch #1, stuck on patch #2 and was in bed and asleep withing 40 minutes !!! AND .. the pain in my left hip is slowly diminishing .. hopefully that one little bit of drowsiness will be it ... fingers crossed ..

POURING here of a sudden ..

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 19, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9280435

Yaaaaaaay for diminished pain, ~M~ !!!

It's hot again this afternoon - Bob's out on the roof working...
Guess what I did?! I bought a Dealfind offer - $49 (normally $300) for 3 hours work on our home. I spoke to the gentleman, and he's willing to work alongside Bob and get our den wall done. Now that the outside is mostly done, it's just a matter of getting the inside done.

What a "funny" money day... I've been finding pennies all over the house as I was cleaning; I apparently lost my debit card, so went to the bank and got a new one (darn new pin wouldn't work the 1st time...); my "pay as you go" credit card never arrived so when I called to see why, they cancelled the old one I have because the new one was sent in the mail and had the same #. So, if one is lost, they have to cancel the entire #. Then, I found a box of old coins I'd collected in the 1970's. Not sure they're worth anything, but I'll take them to a coin dealer and see. The 5 franc one is worth 45 cents Canadian... I think they're only worth the face value.
The ones that are "Commemorative" coins won't be worth anything - they're for things like celebrating Manitoba's entrance into Confederation, or Edmonton's "Klondike Days". Still, you never know...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 19, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9280513

"M" here is hoping the patch is now doing its thing and that you have no side effects, sometimes they are worse than pain.

I love fall but it's gone from the heat of summer to almost winter within days, takes a bit of getting used to.

This weekend I take the 4 grandchildren to Darien Lake, in this weather I'm wondering how I'll make out 10 hrs in a theme park, closes at 10pm..the hotel has indoor water park so if it rains they can still be entertained and inside..Know how the boys are looking forward to Darien lake so guess I'd best not pray for rain..better bring long johns

Susan,that is a deal, my sister goes on a sight as well, gets wonderful discounts..Has Bob been working on the project at night as well? He'll be glad to see it behind him

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 19, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9280554

Yes, Bob's working on the roof now. He got the seams sealed on the roof, now is tacking Tyvec paper on, then will put tar paper on then the rolled roofing (I believe that's the order of things).
Anyway, I have to clear out the den for Saturday, so the two men (Bob & the contractor) can work on the inside.
I hope he can work "around" Bob's computer desk. Looks like I'm going to be busy tomorrow afternoon and Friday getting loads of room for them (and putting it ALL in the bedroom)... whew!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 20, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9281257

Hope you've cleared space Susan .. stuff like that drives me bonkers !!!!

SUre would be nice if the weather in Darien Lake cooperated Betty .. I'm betting it will ..

Jury is out on the pain patch, it seems to have given me a low grade headache .. I seldom get headaches, so I'm not too pleased with that aspect.

Rain/sunshine/showers most of the day .. about 14C with a brsi north wind.

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 20, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #9281269

Overcast/cool here as well "M" ..can wish all I like but see 90% rain day for Darien Lake..not going to get upset, hotel has indoor water feature..would be a lot cheaper for me lol

Maybe the headaches are just a side effect that will last a few days until body gets used to it.

guess we have same kind of weather..you know what is next don't you???

we won't go there

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 20, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9281357

woo hoo!! We have our Motorhome here!! After Bible Study, Peter asked me when I was leaving the church cuz he'd bring the Motorhome to our place. It's sitting in my spot, cuz Bob's has overhanging trees...
Tomorrow (or maybe tonight) I'm going to the Office to see about a spot in the compound. WOW - it's Here!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 22, 2012
4:41 AM

Post #9282794

Good news for you Susan .. will you camp in it the rest of the season, or, wait til next season?

WAY cold out there this morning .. -1C I do believe, the roof and lawn are snow white .. and .. POOF go the flowers ... ahh well .. just means we can anticipate next years.

Went to a birthday party for a friend last evening. It was held at her older sisters . WOW .. what a view from the house .. a great huge valley filled with trees turning colour .. golds and reds and oranges, breath taking.
The ride home was less auspicious though :-(
It was down country roads that were inky black .. we have no lighted roads here out this far .. I must say, Toyota sure takes great headlights. I wouldn't go over 50kph though !!
We saw, a skunk, a fox, bats, and a raccoon and 3 deer ..

MAY put some lawn furniture away today .. not quite sure as sometimes October can be a beautiful month.
I know fer sure it's 'laundry day' .. and .. on that note, off I go to put in load one .. after a game of Scrabble ^_^

OH .. Susan .. I bet you can hardly wait for the Lily you acquired from Carol's garden to bloom next spring .. and .. I see AlbertaAnn was lucky enough to get a peony .. you are both very fortunate ..

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 22, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9282853

I think we'll likely wait until next camping season, although I'm really anxious to get out and use the RV...
I am fortunate indeed to have a lily from Carol's garden. Joanne said it might be yellow, but we'll see...
I saw on the news that Ontario is getting snow... my goodness! We're still having temps in the high 20c's!! Yesterday was 28c I can't believe you're already having snow in SEPTEMBER!!

I woke up this am with pressure on my chest - have been having small pains in my right arm (like electrical shocks, etc) and it's startling, but think it's stress - not surprising given my 'lack of job' status...

good morning - I had a great day yesterday - cleared the den so Bob & another fellow can fix the den wall, , got the key for the compound to store our "new to us" RV, Bob took me out to a steak dinner last night, then we came back to finish clearing out the RV to clean it for our use.
This morning I'm going to the church for our Fall cleaning bee (picked up some donuts for the crew), then in the afternoon a fellow from Alpine construction will be here to help Bob - hope the wall gets finished, it's 3 hours of work the fellow is here for...
Busy weekend...
Monday a charity is coming to pick up some furniture, etc from the church (a friend of mine donated a couch & chair to the church, so we're donating the old set). Tues & Wed I'm going to orientation, etc for my job search. These two companies will help "older/disabled" people to find jobs, so I'm going each of the days to see what they can do to help me.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 22, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9283233

No snow here, but there is about 200k north of us .. mind you, we had a heavy 5 minute downpour about 2pm that looked mighty 'thick'.
Hope Betty and her grandsons are making out OK at Darien Lake.

Susan, good luck with the orientation sessions. I guess you might find out new and improved ways of finding and applying for a job. I'd be lost as I have only ever had a career in health care, altho, I must say, the mentoring position with the second year university nursing students is very fulfilling.
Sure do think that perhpas you might want to have the 'pressure' on your chest seen to. I'd be quite worried.

Never did put any lawn furniture away .. but, I was able to make a couple of jars of spaghetti suace from out tomatoes .. still have quite a few left though in varying stages of ripeness.

Hope eveyone is enjoying their Saturday

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 22, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9283395

Marilyn - re: pressure... I'm sure I'll be fine... I sure do hate to go to a Drs. The last time I went with pain in my chest it was because of my bronchial coughing - it HURT like blazes, and the Dr sent me to emergency in an ambulance... but it was just from the coughing, for pete's sake... another time he gave me a "puffer" because he figured I was asthmatic, and I'm NOT - it was bronchitis again. A puffer Does Not help...
When I was working at Alberta Health, I had chest pains from seemingly nowhere, and they sent me to the hospital, and later I had chest pain tests. Their verdict - I was overweight, but my heart is fine.
I'm sure it's all because of stress... that's always the worst for me, but again... I'm fine otherwise. I'm not surprised I'm stressed, given what's been happening lately, with job and all...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 23, 2012
4:18 AM

Post #9283677

morning,

Snow you say,mplease say it isn't so!!

I do know what being chilled to the bone means though!!

Rain from almost the time time we left home at 6am to the border then tolightmist..cleared for a bit then downpour,then mist..like this the entire day but rides still ran so the kids didn't seem to mind. We did come to the hotel for a few hours to warm up, they enjoyed the indoor water features, then back until closing of the park.

Grandma won't let them sleep in all morning though, she has plans. Lol

Eats, few hours in the waterpark, brunch then hopefully hopefully 3 or 4

Did manage to run into Joann's fabrics and pick ou Christmas fabric, enough to finish a few table runners that I've got the tops made, that was my treat of the weekend. Never was in/out of a fabric shop in 10 minutes. Lol

Susan, with all going on no wonder you have chest pains..the repairs to the home,the rv (fun) and payments (not so much fun)' worry about where weekly income, all the colunteer commitments, stressful to say the least!! If you still have any kind of pain this morning don't play with it, head out to have it checked.

"M" smart to get the outdoor furniture put away..if snow is but 200 miles away you know you will see it shortly. When normally does the white stuff appear on your doorstep? I will get they boys on Thanksgiving to help close in back deck and put all my garden art and furniture away..hate to see i's inter come. Glad you got to enjoy some fall colors, not so sure with the dry hot summer we,ve had then all the rain that ours will be as brilliant or last as long as other years.

Well, need to bath and do my hair before waking the boys, think hairspray and rain, sleepless night and you will get the picture of why hair is first priority this morning

Enjoy your day

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 23, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9284094

Betty - don't have pains every day, and today's a good day for that. I'm feeling a bit miserable, but that's because I'm feeling sad about what I've "done" to the indoor "trees" we have at our church. Because we were gallivanting around this summer, they didn't get watered, and now they're dying...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 23, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9284124

Evening all,

Just got in, had time for a bath,have my favorite nightie on and that is all I'm going to do tonight. We all had a fantastic time I believe, got the kids home safely to their parents and now I can relax..well almost, stopped at Jann fabrics and bought Christmas fabric, laying here admiring and thinking how best the could be together...Lordy, sure hooe I don't get a sudden burst of energy.

Ahhh, sorry to Hear about the trees Susan...you'll have to rely on your green thumb and bring them back to life!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 23, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #9284165

Two of them MAY come back to life, but definitely NOT the 3rd. Two months of no one watering them took care of that... it's really dry here in Calgary.
I've contacted 2 garden centers in Calgary, and we've dealt with both of them. One actually helped us with a Plant Fundraiser in the Spring, so hopefully they will remember us and help. They could decide rather quickly, and as our Fall Supper is this coming Saturday, I hope they can help us that quickly...
The other garden center takes about 3 months to donate anything, so I'm not hopeful on their end...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 23, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9284245

Lawsie .. Sunday evening already ..!
Good to see you home safely Betty (with material) :-)
Glad you had a good time despite the weather ..

We had a stellar fall day here today, sunny/breezy and cool .. made another apple pie from our apples, and basically putzed around the house looking for something I had misplaced, AND, I did finally locate it .. YAY !!!

Sorry to hear about the trees Susan .. what kind were they? I wouldn't be so fast to shoulder ALL the blame ..

Boob squish time tomorrow (mammogram) .. can hardly wait, NOT !!!!

Off to watch the Emmys, at lease I think I am, lord knows what I'll end up doing on the way to the family room ~~

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 23, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9284365

Marilyn - one is a hibiscus, I think the other one is a china doll... delicate leaves. All were 7 ft or taller.

ewwwwwww Boob squish... avoid that whenever I can lol
"lord knows what I'll end up doing..." Are you saying "oh look a bird / pretty / sparkly!!!"?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 24, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9285087

One word on the mammogram .. OUCH ..!! Nice technician, but the 'ouch' is a given ..

Another UBER awesome day here .. cool yes, but sunny as all git out ^_^

Off to rattle some pots and pans

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 25, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9286282

Another day, and some more appts. beginning to think they never end.
Tomorrow, though, will be a good day .. The Patsy Cline theatre production at noon .. and then I am out for dinner with the gurls from my high school graduating class, always a fun time.

Susan .. what ended up happening with the indoor 'trees' ?

New episode of NCIS tonight ..

Hope everyone is doing A OK

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 25, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9286317

Gorgeous day here as well..just about perfect..what wasn't perfect was that I wasn't home to enjoy.

Going to check, sure hope NCIS is on at 9 and not 8 when tv bingo is on..

Forget what the cliff hanger was??

Enjoy Patsy Cline...all time favorite

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 25, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9286396

Well, Marilyn - Bob & I went by today (for another reason) to the church, and the one that I figured was next to dead was cut right down and left outside with the garbage. another one was severely pruned, and moved to the top of the stairs to the Sanctuary where a fig tree used to be (the fig tree btw looks good and didn't suffer from lack of water). I was told by the Garden Center (Blue Grass Nursery) that fig trees Do Not Like To Be Moved, so I put it back - it would lose its leaves if moved...
Bob & I bought 3 new plants - 4 ft, and will become trees in a couple of years, I suppose - two different Scheffleura, and a palm tree. The palm tree, when they told me about it, is something our Church simply Has To Have... our pastor goes to Las Vegas and Los Angeles, and says he misses the palm trees when he comes back home. SO, I sent an email to the Board (of which our pastor is part) and gave a cryptic message that one of the plants needs to be dedicated to our pastor, Gary LOL
The garden center gave us three plants for the price of two, so it was only $72 for all three. Initially we were simply going to be charged for all three, but I think that it being for a church and my unemployment status softened them and they gave us a deal. The manager, Linda, asked that we pray for her. I'm going to see that they are mentioned in our service bulletin, and send a copy to Blue Grass Nursery

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 26, 2012
4:35 AM

Post #9286612

Uh Oh Betty .. it was on at 8pm .. the 'cliff hanger' from Season 8 was Ducky having a heart attack on the beach, and, the NCIS office blowing up .. the new season is now off to a start, all members of the team accounted for ^_^
This is NCIS in Washington I am speaking of.
The NCIS Los Angeles was good as well .. and, as above, all cast members present and accounted for !

The new trees will likely do well Susan .. sure hope so .. nice of the nursery to give you a discount.
How was the workshop you took re job hunting in 2012 ..?? I think it was last weekend .. course, I could be wrong ..

Looking forward to the Patsy Cline concert ..

Have a great day everyone .. I always say that because I notice we have close to 700 'views' on this thread, and 165 actual posts .. ^_^

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 26, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9286670

Thanks for the update "M", got to see about 15 minutes before I dozed off. Can you give me update lol
Glad everyone is back, enjoy both the shows. No wins at bingo, lordy, hardly had a number. I'm not sure, but think when it comes to my cards they have an alert on it and only call numbers I don't have..but, I'll keep trying lol

About the views, yes, wish the lurkers would come on in..we don't bite and do enjoy new friends!

Too funny, bought a secondary sewing machine for here at the office, yesterday went and bought an iron, last Christmas got a folding cutting matt/ironing pad combo so brought it in, have fabric so setting up a sewing room in the 2nd board room..hard day at the office.

Just got further list of supplies I'll need for Monday night class, wasn't sure of the project but hear it's a christmas stocking 11 1/2 wide x 20 long..17 machine embroidery patterns on it, why I joined this group when schedule is sooo busy is beyond me but like always will manage.

Off to play for a bit IF I can get rid of this headache..must be the pressure outside/weather changing
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 26, 2012
6:33 AM

Post #9286685

Lurker, guilty as charged!

I started following your threads when there was a link to one following the last week or two before Carol passed. I had always enjoyed her posts about her Shelties on the pets forum, and was so saddened to hear of her illness and eventual passing.

I have enjoyed following your thread, I hope you don't mind. I've enjoyed your stories of home repairs, family pets, job issues, and shopping for quilting fabrics. I hope that doesn't make me sound too creepy!!

I live just outside Chicago, but have driven through more of Canada than I have of the US, and absolutely love everywhere I have been, from Newfoundland to BC! .

Deb

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 26, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9286701

Welcome Deb, I've been to Chicago many a time and love it..
Magnificent Mile as well as your waterfront is breathtaking

Hope you will join us on a regular basis..

We do miss Carol.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 26, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9286703

"M" just put on global on my ipad and am watching NCIS, see that NCIS LA is on it as well.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 26, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9286744

Hi Deb .. I do believe we have posted back and forth on the 'pet forum' .. I have 2 Westies .. Lilly and Piper, and, one bad as* cat called Smokey (we love him to bits BTW) LoL
Have only ever been in the airport in Chicago .. yeowza .. this small town gurl is a fraidy cat !!!

Betty glad I don't have to try and explain what happened in either NCIS episode .. they were both kind of action packed and, surprising ..

Just waiting for blast off time for the theatre .. will letcha know how the show was ^_^

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 26, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9287118

Hi Deb - welcome...!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 26, 2012

Post #9287163

"M", how was Patsy Cline?

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 26, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9287486

Welcome, Deb!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 27, 2012
4:35 AM

Post #9287664

The Patsy Cline Tribute was wonderful ..
The young woman portraying Patsy, Natasha O'Brien, has a magnificent voice .. the costuming was impeccable.
There was just Natasha, the fellow playing a radio announcer and a back up band .
Neither Natasha nor the fellow playing the announcer are from TBay .. the back up band was though.
I have googled Natasha, but have discovered little about her ... I do believe she is Canadian.

Dinner out last night was fun. There were 10 of us instead of the usual 12-14. We had dinner at a rather 'upscale' Bistro, and, although the food was good, the lighting left a lot to be desired. Reading the menu was very difficult.

Lorna finally sees an orthopedic surgeon re her right knee today. The physio is helping her, so, I am trying to think positively and hope he will not suggest surgery ..

The Blue Jays are screaming for their peanuts, so off I go to comply with their wishes LoL

Have a great day

~M~
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9287717

Thank you for the warm welcome, ladies.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 27, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9287738

YW Deb ^_^

Just took a pic from a FBook friend for Betty.
It's a quilt here at a local show .."Fall into Winter' happening this weekend .. am going to try and get there to see the quilts ..

Hope this works!!

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 27, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9287832

wow Marilyn - when I saw the pic before enlarging it, I thought it was a firework burst - such lively colours!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 27, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9287887

Wow "M" that's above being spectacular..drats, should be going to ThunderBay vs. Meaford this weekend. What a burst of color, thanks for posting it! you know just how much sewing I'm into right now
and now you add this..sure would like to try one lol

Is the Fall into Winter Quilt show near you "M"?

Starting to see a lot of bluejays in my neck of the woods as well, looking into feeders but not encouraging them to stay by feeding..Missy and Riley watch as they lick their lips.

You had quite the day yesterday "M"..always nice...Sending prayers for Lorna.

ViolaAnn, have you been spending time in the gardens getting ready for fall..believe it got to 4 degrees here last night, keep waiting to get up and see FROST or worse.

Deb, do you do crafts?

momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2012
9:38 AM

Post #9287939

That quilt is gorgeous.

No, I don't do crafts, I just don't have the time, but my mom used to quilt, and I helped out, and went out with her on searches for the perfect colors and patterns of fabrics. I work in electrical engineering, primarily doing wiring diagrams and schematics on the computer, but also do some soldering and building of circuit board prototypes by hand. At home, I'm busy with my dogs. I have afghan hounds, and someone is always in need of grooming!! Little time is left for any thing else. I do go to dog shows, and lure coursing events a couple of weekends a month. They keep me going! Plus, just became a grandma for the first time this past week! Kylee Ann was born on 9/25. 6lbs 6oz. Everyone's doing great, they should be going home from the hospital today.

Deb

Thumbnail by momcat

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 27, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9287984

Congratulations, Deb!! Little Kylee Ann is adorable! Have you held her much?

Well, I just finished 2 Saskatoon Pies, and a mincemeat pie is in the oven. Later, I will do an apple pie. These are for the Church Fall Supper on Saturday. Tonight I'm going for Choir Practice and of course to set up table for Saturday.
Tomorrow I'm going to cook a turkey for it. They want it cold, with dressing (will be heated up) and gravy.
Tomorrow night is the church's Movie Night and we run that, then on Saturday morning I'm going to a Hope And Healing presentation that my pastor suggested I go to. Then of course it's "help set up for the dinner" on Saturday. We get to EAT at 5pm. lol I can hardly WAIT!! yummmmmm

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 27, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #9287987

Deb, what a precious baby, all bundled up safe and secure .. you must be so thrilled .. my granddaughter is 14 and my grandson is 11 .. no more babies coming my way.

Betty .. the show is called 'Fall into Winter', and many many crafters are involved .. jewlery makers, quilts, soaps and fragrance .. a general PRE Xmas event .. I hear Xmas is 12 weeks away .. AKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK ...

Heading out for the docs appt in a bit .. what a stellar day .. Murray (son) has been here most of the day helping with wood chopping ..

Off n running ^_^

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2012
11:46 AM

Post #9288058

Betty, I SHOULD be spending time in the gardens, but I was away last weekend to my high school class 50 year reunion near Rochester, NY and just before I left, the new editor of the Canadian Viola Society Journal asked me about ads (I'm still advertising editor) for this issue and I found out she'd changed the deadline to mid September instead of mid October, but forgot to tell me. So that's taken a bunch of time this week. Hopefully I'll get out there tomorrow and Saturday.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 27, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9288066

Viola, we were close to each other then, I was in Batavia NY with the 4 grandsons. Nothing like getting a large amount of work thrown at you..likely you had your entire week planned. Did you enjoy the reunion, many attend?

Deb, Kylee is adorable..so wanted a grandaughter, if I live long enough, who knows perhaps a great grandaughter will be in my future, by then I'll be way too old to enjoy.. Wow, , sounds as though you have an important job for sure..interesting as well.

"M" nice to have your son over helping out. I'm hoping to con the grandsons and my boys to close in the back porch and help me put all the yard art/furniture away..the rusted metal art stays out all winter..this is the time of year when I say I've wayyyy tooo much junk! lol

"M" let us know how Lorna made out please.

Susan, as always you are busy/busy..nice that they do Thanksiving Blessings this early, leaves long weekend to enjoy or do same with family. I'll buy my pie pumpkins in Meaford this weekend..with working from home Fridays, I'll be able to do all my pies then.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 27, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #9288074

When we have our Thanksgiving, on Oct 8th, we'll just be coming back from our first "spin" in our Motor Home. Going about 2 hours from home. There's 30 amp service, water, and (we don't need them this time lol) flush toilets and showers. Nice to have our own facilities, including water!! Now, to figure out everything about how to hook up LOL
Peter left some books on the Motor Home, so we should be "good"
We're going Oct 5 to 7th, and returning late on the 7th. We have company for Thanksgiving on the 8th. One of the guests will bring white wine, and another will bring pumpkin pie & whipped cream. I guess we'll have to put the turkey in the fridge before we leave on Friday, so it's ready on Monday.

yaaaaaaaay we're going Camping in a week & 1/2!!!!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 27, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9288100

Good for you Susan, might be what is needed to take the stress away!
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9288221

Camping sounds like so much fun. I've always thought it would be so neat to have a motor home. The only camping I've done is in a tent.

I don't know about my job being important. Probably anything anyone could do with the right training. I've just been very lucky, no not lucky, I have been blessed, when it comes to my career, and I am truely thankful.

All this talk about getting ready for Thanksgiving is exciting. I love this time of year, and looking forward to all the holidays!!

Deb

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 27, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9288248

The only camping I've done, Deb, is in a tent... we just got this older Motor Home from a friend of ours who sold it to us.

Geeze, it's only 1 week and 1 DAY until we leave, next Friday at suppertime! The trip is under 2 hours, so hope to get there before dusk... We've never been to this campground, so will be "interesting" to set up, but wait... There Is No Set Up!! We Won't Be Tenting!! LOL
We got our "permit" that they sent via email, when the payment for camping went through. So, it's *official*

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 27, 2012

Post #9288253

Deb .. at least you have til November to get ready for your Thanksgiving. Hubby has celebrated American TGiving for the last 12 years as he is always down in Wisconsin for the deer hunt at that time.
Nice to hear you like your job .. a fer sure BONUS !!!!

Lorna saw the orhtopedic surgeon, a very nice fellow .. he said to hang tough, which she is doing ... keep up with the physio and, rest assured if she needs him he'll take her quite quickly, no 2-3 month waiting period. So .. I guess it was good news ..

Susan .. you'll love the camping trip .. enjoy :-) It's such a wonderful experience to be IN a structure not a tent.

Off to watch Corrie ^_^

~M~

PS, took a pic of a couple of the maples on the front of the property .. changing FAST this year !!

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 27, 2012

Post #9288259

Marilyn - I'm really looking forward to it.
Can't watch Corrie tonight - comes on at 7:30, and we're at Choir Practice... :-(

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 28, 2012
4:08 AM

Post #9288596

Corrie has been moved to 7:30pm here as well Susan, can't say as I like it much, but, I have voiced my displeasure with the programming director at the TV station and, well, I think that's about all I can do ..

Cool nights here .. a frost almost every morning covers the grass and roof ..

Lorna has a physio appt early this morning, need to get gas in the vehicle and do some shopping .. no doubt the dogs will be right ticked that they are being left home to 'guard the house' LoL

TGIF

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 28, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9288946

Corrie is also on at midnight, but I don't stay up to watch it then!! no, no, no... lol

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9289096

Betty - it was a good reunion. There were just over 100 of us to start with. 15 have passed away and they don't know where 6 are; so a turnout of 38 officially (though a couple of others showed up at the pub gathering on Friday night) is pretty good. Several others responded with written updates about themselves and all those responses were put into a little booklet. There are always a few who totally ignore the reunion and some of them live close. Too bad. I think I like many of my classmates better 50 years later.

About 15 of us (including spouses) had dinner on Friday evening before the pub gathering. We didn't stay too long at the pub because we'd driven down that day and it was too crowded to easily circulate. We all met at 9 am at the building where we went to school. It was brand new in October or November of our 9th grade year; so we were the youngest in it. (And it was so overcrowded in such a short time that it had been replaced by a larger building within 7 years). It's been used as a Junior High School and now has Grade 9 only, when the kids come together from 2 middle schools.

The young Vice-Principal showed us around and what was billed as a 45 minute tour took 75 minutes as people wanted to see where their lockers were and homerooms. But the thing that really interested all the girls was the pool. At the time it was built, it was the only swimming pool in Fairport. And we had required swim class once a week. And my repressed memory - we were required to wear awful tank suits that were issued by the school and colour coded by size. Funny how that memory came back and was a hot topic of conversation.

Then we had a walking tour of the village which started late and finished a bit late. In the evening, a nice dinner at a Country Club. Some of them many have gathered for a farewell brunch on Sunday morning, but not until 11 am. We were nearly half way home by then.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 28, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9289179

ViAnn, good to hear your reunion was a good time.
Sounds a bit like my nursing reunion last month. Some of our classmates who still live IN TBay didn't respond to invitations, phone calls etc.
We had quite the discussion re our nursing (student) uniforms .. we each had 3 and, depending which hospital you were based in (there were three) you would either have a uniform that was starched SO much you could hardly sit down, or, a uniform that was limp and semi wrinkled !! As you say, funny the memories that come back!!! More than one of us spoke of the raw red marks left on our necks from the starch.

We've had an amazing day .. low 20s C and nice and sunny ..

Susan .. as much as I like Coronation St, there would be no way I could stay awake til midnight to watch it LoL

Just had a Doe and her 3 Fawns show up out back, Gord has a box of apples from the trees for them .. boy, do they like that !! We give them just 6 or 7 apples in an evening, there's still LOTS for them to eat otherwise.

Take care all

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 28, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9289181

Well Marilyn - you could always watch it online! They're a "bit" behind, but they have full episodes on their "official Coronation Street" site. I think it's 2 weeks behind... but then they have at least a year's worth of episodes. Makes it nice to go backwards and see one that was referred to, but you missed - like when Mike had the heart attack in the street and passed away... I hadn't seen that one, and was able to go see it.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 30, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #9290687

WOW .. such wonderful weather here in Thunder Bay, trying to squeeze out every single moment of it.

Pie baking and bulb digging yesterday = aches and pains today .. so .. I promise to be less active (yeah right)

Foggy here right now, but, that won't last .. have some friends coming out on their 'bikes' (motorcycles) for some pumpkin pie later today .. the fascination with these mototrcycles is a mystery to me .. I was on one as a passenger once, and swore 'never again' .. just way too nervous.

ENjoy your Sunday everyone

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 30, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9291191

Hello there..another busy weekend behind me..company just left now it will be hot bath, get my sewing fabrics/supplies I need for tomorrow nights class, leftover spaghetti for supper and off to bed.

Left at 8 am yesterday for Meaford Applefest and craft show, we're just getting ready to leave craft show when the downpour started. stopped at grandma Lambs and you could see the shortage in apples, got just enough for a few apple pies for the weekend, wanted to also stop and buy pie pumpkinsbut raining so hardill get them here. Chatted till 10:30 then up at 5:30 am.

Marg who was once my best volunteer says she is now feeling her age and rightly so..she is 78..a great artist who now says she has no energy for painting. She did ask me though if I would show her how to make a tote bag..luckily I found some odds/sods fabric and made one, she said seeing it made would be enough for her to make a few for Christmas gifts. By noon we had one done, then did the free hand quilting on one of the runner, almost done the 2nd when I realized I was out of thread and had no other of same color..drats, would have finished 2 of the 7 table runner..oh ell tomorrow is another day.

"M". They are calling for 2 or 3 rain days this week and rain all Thansgiving weekend..wouldn't you know..

Must call the boys to see if we will celebrate here on Saturday or Sunday..sure hoping it's Saturday, that way I can relax for the next 2 days..need to rest as I leave for Frankenmuth MI on Friday afternoon.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 30, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9291279

Nice to hear from you Betty, am hoping your boundless energy gravitates my way.

Good thing I made a BIG deep dish pumpkin pie as it ended up being devoured LoL
My friends on their motorcycles stopped in for about 2 hours, I was SO happy the weather was nice .. they all liked pumpkin pie, but, of the 5 of them, only one had had one made from fresh pumpkin, so it was an adventure for the others and, enjoyed :-)

Not sure how our Thgvng will go next weekend, am thinking it will be on the day (8th) as we have a 50th Anniversary to attend on the 7th.

Dish washer is loaded and ready to go, and I am ready for bed !!!!

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 30, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9291313

Usually have 10 for supper and I make about 8 pies..everyone has favorites. Always worry pumpkin pies are the ones left over as I'll eat them all lol

Great day for your friends to be out riding, won't be many more of those.

Was watching Weather forecast with one eye open the other closed, might have been some boring s well..saw blizzard going on, sure hope it was a flashback from last year.

You are ahead of me, keep saying, get up and eat but somehow legs just won't move. If I soon don't get up il'll be having a midnight snack.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 30, 2012

Post #9291335

Tell me, what do you think a policy is in a grocery store with a pharmacy in the back of the store:
A customer who is shopping suddenly sits down, looking in distress, for about 20 minutes or more... there is 1 staff in the pharmacy (behind a locked door), a store clerk walks by and several other customers, but no one stops or asks if there is anything wrong...
This happened to me today. I'm fine now, but I was having stabbing pains in my head (not a headache), pains in my chest, both sides front and back, and they were enough to make me weep.
I think they saw someone crying (not sobbing, just tears running down my cheeks) and decided not to interfere... I was scared and the pains hurt! I waited until they subsided and slowly went to the checkout at about 1/2 speed.
When I got home, my DH got the groceries and asked if there was anything he could do. There wasn't - the worst had passed. About an hour I started to *burp* and I think that's all I needed, but in the meantime, I was really scared...
I can understand why the pharmacist didn't leave the counter - they have to be wary of theives stealing pharmaceuticals, but why didn't she ask or call someone to assist? A friend of mine is a manager there, and I called his house & left a message to see what the policy is, but surely there is Something in place...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 1, 2012
3:56 AM

Post #9291751

I think the policy is in effect EVERYWHERE Susuan .. it's called 'HUMAN KINDNESS' , and, unfortunately it seems you got into a situation in a place where none existed.
I think that after a few minutes had gone by, I would have 'flagged down' someone with my hand .. the pharmacy can be locked, and, they have security.
I feel bad you had to go through such an experience.

Cold morning .. busy day

Welcome to OCTOBER !!!!

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 1, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9291909

Susan, next time, no sitting wondering if someone will come to your rescue, give a big yell!!!

On the cool side here as well.
Making out a grocery list for thanksgiving, maybe that way I'll not forget anything.

Have to pick up pie pumpkins for sure..on Saturday following a truck that had A pumpkin on it, I wondered just how many pumpkin pies I could have made out of it..lol

Picked a little gobbler to add to my fall collection and after I purchased it thought why would I do that when I have 5 totes full to the brim that haven't come out yet and likely not to??

Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze         

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 1, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9291978

I would have, Betty, if I had the strength to...
Thing is, I had chest pains before and got a heart checkup (1 yr ago) and stress test and they just said I need to lose weight because I couldn't do the eliptical for very long, but my heart was fine. This has been dealt with a couple of times.
Still going camping - think it's just stress from all that's been going on and the sheer busy-ness of the season. Just wait until Easter-time... busiest time of the Church year... yikes!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 1, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9292314

just got a call from Darlene, they are at Barrie Hospital her dad just had anerysm (?) can't spell, shaking too much..lordy she just lost hubby Mike at early age from same..they are now operating, said only a miracle would save him..prayers please

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 1, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9292318

Prayers being said for Art, Betty... omygoodness... so upsetting and startling...
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9292415

Prayers coming from south of the border, too.

Deb

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 1, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9292437

Thank you..

Art is now with the Lord!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 1, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9292444

Moved us over..

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1282840/

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1282840/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America