Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Cacti and Succulents: rootless Melocactus matanzanus in bloom

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 4, Views: 55
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 3, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9263844

I have several of these and another plant that have all lost their roots. So they sit in pots doing nothing except this one which is in bloom.Very curious. Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling   Thumbnail by xuling   Thumbnail by xuling
Click an image for an enlarged view.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9264571

From the look of the plant, it is in desperate need of water. Some plants lose their roots when not watered enough. Of course, you have to be careful not to overwater so it rots. The challenges of cacti are many!
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 4, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9264981

I believe, but do not know for sure, that these and the others that lost their roots were due to the winter rains. So now they have no roots for water uptake. I guess that I can just trash them. Xuling

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

September 4, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9265002

Yup, looks parched.

Xuling, once these plants start flowering they're done growing the main body. The only new activity from here on out is going to be in the cephalium (furry top part). So it's not going to do much except flower and grow tufty. These plants are supposed to be more difficult root-wise after they become mature.

It seems like there are two kinds of surprise flowers in the succulent world: flowers of exuberance and flowers of desperation. I've had rootless aloes grow complete inflorescences on the compost pile, putting all their energy into one last shot at fertility before they shrivel up and die. Aloe vera does this even though it's totally incapable of making fertile seed. How ironic.
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 4, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9265126

they can sit on the soil until i return and if they are still sitting there and haven't run away from home i will just trash them. xuling

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America