AuthorContent

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

September 3, 2012
8:20 PM

Post #9264070

I have an 11wk Chihuahua puppy that is snapping us, really biting and holding on...drawing blood and just ornery...I have been handling it by distracting her with something else or just putting her down & ignoring her until she's calmed down...our 9yr old BT has snapped her back 3 times, mostly very gentle and patient with her...now our neighbors were here for dinner tonight and said you should snap the dog back in her snout, head or lips...snap her with your knuckles...after they left I heard her yipe & determined my husband had snapped her in the nose...I told him I know how strong his snap is because he's done it to the back of my head and I put a stop to that immediately because it hurt so much...this is a 2 lb puppy...please help with suggestions to prevent this behavior...the husband is a mean ass who enjoys being "tough" so getting him to stop is a exercise in frustration...Thank you guys, I know you will come thru...Deb

This message was edited Sep 4, 2012 4:48 AM

Thumbnail by Depsi
Click the image for an enlarged view.

AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

September 4, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9264320

Toys! Lots and lots of safe, chewey toys for her! Carry one with you at ALL TIMES and every time she puts her mouth on something that is not a toy, stick a toy in her mouth and give her a love. She will come to think that chomping on a toy is the way to getting love.

Disclaimer - I am a cat person, however I did raise a doberman puppy using this method and it worked perfectly. Sniff. I still miss that dog.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 4, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9264321

I wish I had a suggestion but I haven't had puppies in way more years than I care to admit.

Good luck!

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9264478

Thank you for your responses, Yankee that's the way I thought it should be handled too...I couldn't believe my neighbor just snapped her in the face...I'd never do that to someone else's pet...anyway, I just need to get this handled 'cause this morning my husband is not touching the pup, didn't take her out, punishing me for disagreeing...Tammy, Thank you, too, for just saying something...

DebbiesDaisy

DebbiesDaisy
Lyndonville, NY

September 4, 2012
10:50 AM

Post #9264636

I won't say what I want to say about your husband out of respect to you...

But yes, lots of toys! This is the age they teeth some too so they want to just bit and chew on everything. I have heard about blowing in their face too if you are holding them and they snap. They don't like it. Another option...a squirt bottle to distract from the behavior.

Good luck, that is such a cute puppy! Perhaps a call to a dog trainer to talk about it will help also.

Debbie

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9264642

Debbie, that blowing in her face is a wonderful suggestion...I've never hit my animals, never...I roll up a newspaper & hit it in palm...it stops my BT in his tracks...toys & blowing...I think I"ve found the answer...THANK YOU GUYS! you never fail me and may God bless you as you are blessing others...

DebbiesDaisy

DebbiesDaisy
Lyndonville, NY

September 4, 2012
11:27 AM

Post #9264662

Make sure you say a sharp "NO" also...and put her down and walk away.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 5, 2012
4:55 AM

Post #9265482

You can also "yelp" like another puppy and then go away and leave her alone, do not look at her, do not talk to her.. Another puppy will stop playing if the other puppy hurts it. If she wants to play she will have to learn not to bite.

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9265735

Thanks, Wren...really good suggestion and I'm using it! the blowing has already started to work...she does not like that at all!!!

Thumbnail by Depsi

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9266220

Oh she is just so cute! Glad you are on your way to getting her some manners so everyone can enjoy her company!

Tam

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9266340

She is just perfect as far as I'm concerned...slow go always has been my motto, unfortunately I don't live alone...I'm trying to stay on top of her...Thanks so much for your post...You guys are the very best and I so depend on all of you...Thank You, Deb

Thumbnail by Depsi

DebbiesDaisy

DebbiesDaisy
Lyndonville, NY

September 5, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9266352

Glad we can all help! Around here 10 minds are better than one! Now she starts walking around with that shoe...your on your own! lol

She is just adorable really!
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9266361

The important part is to stop playing immediately. ouch will work as well as a yip.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9266366

She's just so tiny!

DebbiesDaisy

DebbiesDaisy
Lyndonville, NY

September 5, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9266376

Tam, Izzy was tiny once!! She can GROW. Not saying anything more (snicker).

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9266382

:-)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Pets Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Does Anyone Show Dogs?? momcat 154 Jul 29, 2009 9:01 PM
How many dogs does it take to change a light bulb? gardenwife 20 Oct 2, 2009 7:10 PM
mourning DawnG 26 Jul 16, 2010 10:38 AM
Bertha got a hair cut!! MOLLYBEE 10 Aug 8, 2011 11:49 AM
Fritzie meets (& almost eats) Santa Claus Buttoneer 22 Sep 3, 2009 11:46 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America