Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Peppers: Do Black Pearl peppers come true from seed?

Communities > Forums > Peppers
bookmark
Forum: PeppersReplies: 3, Views: 74
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
plexippus
Chicago Suburbs, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9264074

I grew some Black Pearls for the first time this year and just love them. I cant find a definitive answer to whether these come true from seed or not. Does anyone know for sure if they will come true or not from seed I save?
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 3, 2012
9:29 PM

Post #9264120

They should come true if they were not allowed to cross pollinate with another pepper in your garden. All the info I've found says they are open pollinated (not hybrids). Unfortuanately, peppers are self pollinating but cross more readily then say tomatoes. I've just grown out about 25 types that i received in trades from some very well meaning people who swore that the seeds were pure. Well, the plants look very similar but they are not the same plant.

But if you trust your seed source and they have not been allowed to cross you should be fine.

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2013
4:31 PM

Post #9398492

I had "volunteers" come up from seed from last years plants--they were identical in apperance and flavor
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2013
5:22 PM

Post #9398536

I grew mine from seeds i had saved from the year before and they were exactly the same.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America