Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: Sept. - 2012, it's time for Fall, and changing colors o

Communities > Forums > Central Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Central Midwest GardeningReplies: 93, Views: 663
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 3, 2012
9:20 PM

Post #9264115

n leaves if there ARE any leaves! And Christmas for you early power shoppers!

I thought there'd already be a Sept. thread going when I returned, but I am glad to do the honors of starting one.

We came from here. - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1273751/

Well, I am back from the raft trip on the Niangua River in Lebanon, Mo. It was a little cool and overcast to start the day but about halfway thru the float trip on the river the sun came out and it warmed up to around the low 90's Sunday afternoon.
I'm glad we got the rain, boy was it ever welcome! They said it couldn't have been better for the river and the canoeists and stuff. They said the steady rain over a day or so was much better than alot all at once because it had time to soak in the ground, and of course it was good for the river's water level, which was still low but not that bad usually, we never stopped from scraping the bottom, spring-fed rivers aren't affected real bad usually. Rafts are better than canoes on that anyway though, they never get stuck long.
We were back to Bennett Spring State Park, that is the source for the Niangua River is Bennett Spring. That place is popular. In June, when my friend and me were there, we stayed at the actual Bennett Spring State Park, this time we stayed at a private motel down the street that caters to rafters and fisher-people, vacationers etc. that are going to the park during the day or when-ever. I wouldn't recommend this private motel resort thing where we stayed this time, I think they house alot of drinkers and partiers more, it's not really a family-oriented place. I'd recommend getting a cabin at the actual park grounds, they are comparable on price and you have all the attractions right there.

In this first photo of Bennett Spring, you can see the blue area in the photo, that's the deep part of the actual spring. As you can see, the trout fisher-people like to do some fishing! Here is my niece throwing some fish food to the trout in the hatchery, all those dark spots are all the fish, there are thousands in there! Some people call it Bennett Springs but there is only 1 spring, it's Bennett Spring I say! There is a little park museum there, the park does have an interesting history, reading about the Bennetts from years ago and stuff. There is some other fun facts there, like there is different classes of springs in Missouri, and that there is 14,000 some springs in Missouri. Only ten of which are big like Bennett Spring, it's one of the biggest ones but quite a bit smaller than the biggest one in Missouri, which is also popular, ironicly enuff it's called Big Spring.

Another growing season has passed for my little cheap plants to one day be big and look like I paid big bucks for them, when actually, they started out quite small and they set me back about a dollar or so usually!
Boy, this thing about getting "babies" off of my big SpiderPlant has turned out very nice indeed! Does anybody want one? I can send one for the price of a stamp and I got the stamp covered. This is a good time to do plant material thru the mail, not too stifling hot and not too cold. I looked at my big plant today, it is nice and some big, nice babies are on it. - Pepper, Juhur, do you want one, anybody?!
This one was given to me last year and has it ever grown! This was right after I potted up the big SpiderPlant here, it was originally in a hanging basket. -
Will

This message was edited Sep 3, 2012 11:30 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf
Click an image for an enlarged view.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 3, 2012
9:42 PM

Post #9264124

well it's late or early and somebody always has to be up and about, sounds like a fun vacation, I will sit and cry cause I wasn't the one who got to see and feed the fish.Yum trout entree!
We want to see Missouri again sometime even it is suppose to be the show me state.lol
Loving the rain and man is it hot and humid tonight woo weee!!! 90 for Wednesday with humidity beyond!!
Oh well the price for the rain I guess!
I shall ask mom and sis about the spider plant, off and on they have gone through a few moving here and there, then giving them all away.
Well every season brings new adventures, makes you wonder what is being "fate" planned for the next one,lol
I for one would rather believe in sinister manipulation than fate ,but that is just me!lol
Hibiscus and some seedlings as they look today^_^

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7         

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 3, 2012
10:13 PM

Post #9264136

Thanks juhur! Yes, it WAS fun! Oh, cooked Trout with lemon juice sprinkled on it is the best!

Boy, I hope the fate doesn't mean droughts every steenking year! lol

Yes, this is the Show-Me state, the state parks do indeed show! - http://mostateparks.com/

Yeah, there isn't enuff good things to say about this rain, boy is it ever nice. Even now, it is thundering and raining out off and on.

Nice Hibiscus and seedlings there juhur. I looked at my 'Luna Red' Hibiscus tonite, it is done for the year I'm afraid, there aren't even any leaves on it. I can tell it's alive because the stems are green, but I'm pretty sure it has folded up for the year, I think it has had enuff heat, (I watered it all Summer) so show's over!

Sure, if I can interest them in one or some SpiderPlant babies just let me know. If you have even one empty hanging plastic planter, this is it, it'll be a big plant in 6 months and then the plastic planter will be too small!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9264990

I can't keep spider plants alive for nothing. I have a meezo plant now that I am hoping will stay alive when I bring it in for the winter. It is huge now!!

Glad Issac arrived in time for the trip!!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9265096

Thanks pepper, I too am glad Isaac arrived in time for the trip, rain affects those rivers more than I thought.

Happ, that Blackberry Bush that I tried to start for you has finally decided to turn brown, it appears to be lifeless, I'll try to do something on a Blackberry start that is guaranteed to work. I got a photo of it, it
doesn't look well. -

My Golden Pothos is coming along I noticed today, from a cutting I got from a friend on Youtube. -

I put some black plastic landscape edging around my little shade garden because the mulch was getting out pretty good before. I used up all 9 kitty litter jugs full of my big rocks, lining around it with them, when I was done with the edging. -

I need more rocks! When you get started with them you can't stop too soon because stuff looks silly if you don't have enuff of them. I have several more places to put big rocks.

Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf      

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9265136

Your so right about the rocks! Reminds of today I went to move a couple of lily bulbs(turned out to be that five minute ,hour and half thing) and found another that weighs 35 or 40 pounds. Only it does take more than you would usually think it would to make any decoration look the way it should.

The Blackberry thorns remind me of times and raspberry canes, aren't those thorns some fun?!lol Although they would have a way to go to catch up with cacti thorns.

Cuttings (yours and mine) are all looking pretty good ,going slow and normal as always,I put a willow tree sprig in with some of them to see if it would help with rooting and sure enough the willow sprigs have rooted first thing.
The main stem or root canes on berry canes die back and new ones rise from shoots to the side,is that what Blackberry canes also do.If it is might that cane in the pot need a little more room to "runner"?
I am really glad you got some more water in river for your outing,that is a good thing for all and everyone also. It rained some more here today, still to too humid!
IS there soil under that bed in pic three or is that built with the concrete underneath ?
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9265219

Glad to hear the Forsythia cuttings from me are doing good, juhur. Unfortunately, I looked at the English Ivy cuttings you gave me tonite, they still aren't showing any signs of life yet. - I think they are just difficult to get started as cuttings. I have 1 smallish English Ivy here and I cut off 4 cuttings from it and it appears only 1 took root.

I need to get the biggest rocks that I can manage without blowing something out! It is tempting to get smaller rocks because they are easier to carry but they really aren't ideal, they let weeds thru and mulch out,
and when it rains hard they can even get washed away.

Yeah, those Blackberry thorns are alot of fun especially when they stick you! I just try to be careful and wear gloves if I have to. I'm not about bleeding anymore, when I was a kid maybe it was cool to bleed but now it just hurts! Now cactus, I only want to deal with maybe once every 3 or 4 years, I'm not about spending an hour with tweezers (and a lighted magnifying glass..lol) picking out nearly invisible tiny needles!

Glad to have the rain for that float trip, I never was happier in all my life to get rain for everything around here!

There is several wheelbarrow loads of clayey yard soil in that shade garden spot, I wish it was better dirt available here. There isn't any concrete there, it was previously just a nasty looking rectangle of weeds and little concrete and gravel bits, it looked terrible before.

Maybe I can try Blackberry cuttings in a bigger pot, thanks.

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Click the image for an enlarged view.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2012
9:12 PM

Post #9265320

Man I would of thought for sure that last root and vine I sent you would grow!!! That was several inches of root with a plant runner, I will be wondering what ever happened there? (wrong season maybe?)
There aren't any roots on the forsythia but the stems aren't breaking down or anything either, just holding steady for a while like they usually have done (we, us, and I have rooted forsythia cuttings before).
As for carrying any big ol rocks ,yeah giving ones self a pulled back or hernia ain't much fun,As a matter of fact it is down right painful!! I have done that bit with the tweezers and light before myself, gets old right quick after the first couple of times if not as soon as it ever happened.
I am still working my way back to a wheelbarrow wheel, the one I have needs replaced, I miss that wheelbarrow! It works harder and more effective than me and I like that!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9266510

Stuff happens, starts don't always start I found out. It may have not made the heat in the mail and just got too dry. I'm not giving up on it yet, it gets water and sunshine with the others.
My Wandering Jew cuttings are like that, they just sit there for a long time, they don't really dry up and get all brown and crispy but they can take like 2 months to be noticeably independently growing.
Now, how about that SpiderPlant baby(s)?!

Boy, my schooling has taken a rather awkward turn. My original very good instructor got a better teaching job offer elsewhere and left pretty much mid-way thru the course I'm taking. Today was the new guy's first day and he teaches things considerably different. For example, he is not pro textbook, that's unfortunate, because the textbooks were designed to give us the information to pass the exams coming up, in less than a month.

Several years ago I bought a solid wheelbarrow wheel for $25, that's alot to pay for a wheelbarrow wheel, but is it ever nice to grab it and go when-ever still. I'm not about doing the macho-man thing and blowing my stuff out lifting on stuff. I agree, a good wheelbarrow is priceless, I couldn't have done the landscaping I have done without it.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2012
9:33 PM

Post #9266561

I have had about every seedling I have started doing "change up things" this year. So it is many plants just set for a while building their reserves their energy and such.

Seem education has always been like that though., from the time anyone started school all the many years ago there has always been the teacher that grades easy the one that grades hard and the one whose class that no one ever seemed to pass(or barely)Substitutes with new ways that would throw you off,with difference of everything,and like has occurred now with you some like the book others say that cannot be.Unless you have a great deal of flexibility it can and does require some imagination in reality to stay up with the lessons.
So you study the textbook anyway and study what teacher is saying, keep some flexibility about reality and all should work out well.Are they trying to get you to create, is that this new teacher part of the lesson?(without the book) Some of you with enough experience they are trying to get you to be more creative ,perhaps.? Lessons of study just wouldn't be lessons unless they were conspiring to a point.lol We will get back to you shortly about the plant and wheelbarrow.Till then,and study well.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2012
10:04 PM

Post #9266594

Indeed, somebody has had some coffee! I probably shouldn't get too scathing on the new teacher. But, it isn't a graded class, he professes to teach "hands-on", which is fine, but there's only 2 weeks left to learn all this "hands on". The instruction is supposed to all be geared toward the students (me) getting the instruction necessary to pass the exam coming up soon to help us find decent employment. Yeah, we'll likely need to study the textbook pretty intensely now, it could be worse I suppose, altho that's not really what people signed up for, if I wanted a book I could've bought it at Barnes and Noble or got it at the library..lol
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9267355

Here is my Moss Rose blooming good today, it is a pot of yellow flowers! - That shadow of my hand looks funny because I was wearing a leather glove, I was pulling on my trailer, I got some mulch today, my hand is normal proportions actually! Here is my one cutting of English Ivy that has taken off. -
This is my big English Ivy plant that is doing very well, good enuff to provide me with a few cuttings to experiment on. - I need to get all those leaves out of there, they look like poo! That's my fake flower hummingbird feeder with the red flower, it's plastic, I filled it up with sugar water again today. This is one of the 2 SpiderPlant babies that I cut off and potted up July 16th this year. - This is the big SpiderPlant that the babies came from. -

This message was edited Sep 6, 2012 6:44 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9267384

Nice pot of moss rose! that is a cute little pot plant. I am glad you got some of the ivy to start, next year it will be carrying you away if you fall asleep any where near where it is growing!lol
A rather distant relative passed away a few months ago and we inherited the house plants so our space indoors is all in use, so we will have to pass on the spider plant for now.That is a nice looking pot of spider plant,I wish all my plants looked that good.
I was pulling and yanking the ivy up the other day here roots all along the stems and more still that I will have to control later.To give you an idea a two foot pile and you can't tell anything had happened ,the ivy still looks the same.
I will be back when I can pic the rock garden and a few things,progress gets slow about such, when it comes to me.
Looks like your gardenology is going well,right down to the hummingbirds visiting to evaluate.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9267415

Thanks, it is folded up for the nite. - I got some photos a short while ago. Here is a SpiderPlant that I potted up as a baby in February I think. -
Ok on the SpiderPlant, I know what you mean about space. If you ever want one, I have plenty! Eeek! I hope that Ivy does well, I really like it, it's evergreen and everything!
Yeah, the gardenology is getting there slowly! Here is a succulent planter dish I made, I added some rocks you see! -
Here is my 12 foot Sunflower but it'll have to be 12 foot next year because this year I planted it too late, it made it to about 2 feet! - Hopefully, I can get to the seeds before the birds do.

Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9267426

Earlier when we talking about sunflowers ,And still mine never made it past sprouts this year! As for now I think we agree "Rocks are really Cool" in the garden. Something always delightful about them,I'm not sure what? only they are!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9267430

Oh! yeah, you made the dish,you mean like on a pottery wheel and the kiln oven and all?
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9267447

Haha! No, I didn't make the dish itself, I just added the contents. I think that dish is a big punch bowl or something. It was about to be donated or thrown away about a month ago and I thought of a use for it, a succulent planter!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9268418

Here is my big school-bus yellow rubber wheelbarrow wheel! It isn't all rigid and harsh when going over bumps, it's harsher than an air wheel, but not bad at all. Oh, and they didn't have a selection in colors..lol
But, actually the color doesn't bother me, that wheelbarrow is a huge one-person-job helper.

Maybe this metal Christmas popcorn can will remind you of Christmas, it is a SpiderPlant baby also, I cut it and potted it up in July this year. The offer still stands, anybody want one?!

I made this Youtube video to show my cool Golden Pothos cuttings that are doing real well already, I just got the Pothos cuttings from a friend about 2 weeks ago in the mail.
Here is the link if anybody wants to see it. -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGWc-zCZ8gE&list=UUncIC3pLv0W-KhBjmMVkG6Q&index=1&feature=plcp

Boy, all this rain lately is real nice!
It's not so nice seeing all the brown plants of mine that succumbed from the heat I suspect, but I'm not complaining now!

Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf         

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9268459

I'm not complaining now either!! LOL. My only complaint is today's rain didn't last long enough.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9268483

Oh, the rain has been glorious! My rain-barrel is full and everything!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9268486

My grass is green and needs mowing again. First time since July 3rd it will have been mowed,
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9268494

I haven't mowed since May, when the blade bent. I've replaced the blade, but then it wouldn't start! That was almost when it stopped raining, so it didn't get too tall before all the grass died. I might have to mow yet, dangit!
Here is my bent blade back in the day..lol - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9120485
This has been nice for people like me that don't really like push-mowing! I'd easily rather have the rain though!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9270091

I have mowed three or four times and should now also,it will be later in the week though. I was planting some of the started seedlings today and collecting some annual seeds for next year.
It is still not done yet ,here is the rock garden in villa style almost, except for the lava rock and some coloring to the made brick.
Yeah I don't see straight either!lol

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9271302

And more rocks! I got these yesterday, I filled up my little trailer. I disconnected my trailer from my car, I don't want to drive around with a trailer full of rocks and a "no Soliciting" sign on the back!

Nice rock garden there, juhur! Glad I'm not the only one who likes rocks! Rocks are so cool! I hope the next homeowner here feels the same way! lol

On that rock trip, I had to stop and get photos of this field on I-35 (near Edgerton, KS.) that was a sea of Black-Eyed Susans. It is ironic, that same site was a junkyard a year ago, I think a dumpster is in a photo from where they were filling it up with trash. It's also ironic and a little morbid I guess that there's also a billboard there that says $895 cremation! It's kinda like beauty comes from death or pushing up daisies, in that vein, maybe it's just me, but anyway a very awe inspiring scene. Maybe Kansas should be called the Black-Eyed Susan state, not the Sunflower state, maybe they mixed the 2 up way back when, maybe they were talking about Black-Eyed Susans, they are everywhere in KS. I made a short video-clip of it on my camera if anyone wishes to see it. You have to turn the volume up because of the cars whizzing by, that is, if you want to hear my commentary and narration, if not, keep the volume down if you don't like the race-car sound. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rL4TtDwKmQ&feature=youtu.be I couldn't make the video too long, lest I got ran over by zooming cars, I was literally close to them.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 11, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9271721

54/87/58
Sunny to partly cloudy. Warm. Winds S at 15 to 25 mph.

It has been non-stop busy for the last couple of months. I've been sleeping in a bit in the mornings, LOL! I am out at DD's a lot, spending the night when her DH is out on a semi run.

We took the Grandsons to Maquokata Caves Saturday and had a good time! The bats have been infected with a White Nose Fungus. It makes them itch, which wakes them up in the winter. They either starve or freeze, trying to find bugs to eat. We had to listen to a small talk from a DNR person and got to pet a long dead bat :o) Then we had to step on a mat soaked with something before we entered and left the park. There is none in Illinois, but it's spread from the east. The caves had water but were supprisingly dry. The bats sleep in the trees in the summer so we didn't see any. It was a great day!

I spent yesterday weeding. We had 1 &7/10'' of rain lately and I'm still thanking God for saving us. Our rivers are almost dry. I think you could walk across all of them without going in over your head. Scary!

Last night I read a book my SIL lent us called ''The Oxford Project.'' There is a town callled Oxford, not far from here. Population in 1984, 693. They photographed 670 of the town's people. 20 years later they re-photographed everyone again. Each person told a bit about their life. All very relaxed and candid. The storied are heartfelt. One little girl ws dropped off because her circus performer parents couldn't care for her any more. She was fostered. Many had died.

The garden is growing again. It's finally cool enough for the green peppers to actually grow. I picked most of them last night. Charlie oiled my kraut stomper andd board so I'll be making sauerkraut tomorrow. Today I hope to finish weeding the bed I was working on.

This must have hatched out here. I saw it on my bedroom screen. Later I ran to my neighbor's to water and it was on her sedum. I ran back and got my camera. It's a Mourning Cloak. I've never had one before!

Thumbnail by billyporter   Thumbnail by billyporter         

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2012
12:32 PM

Post #9272096

Hi Sally, nice to see you again. That's a pretty butterfly. It is nice when they visit. I don't really have that many flowers, so it's a pretty good treat when they come around here too.
Like a hummingbird that still gets on my fake flower, I like to think it is holding off migrating to get some sugar-water!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9272376

I think the weeds sprouted overnight too!! My iris bed and lily bed need weeding pretty bad. Hoping to get to work on that tomorrow along with cutting back the rest of the irises. I also need to get my dogwood planted tomorrow before it gets too late.

I have been running non stop since the weekend. I had to find clothes for my nephew on Saturday so hit a few shops with a friend, Sunday we went to Des Moines to visit family and got home late, yesterday got up early for work and went out and celebrated my sister in law's birthday. And back to work today. Insane!!! lol
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9272448

Quite a schedule there Pepper! I have school Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. My nephews are in Texas, they are young adults now. Years ago I bought a nephew a shirt but he couldn't wear it to school because they could only wear solids.

A 90% chance of rain Thursday, yippee!! - http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast

Well, all those rocks now have a new home, in the front yard! - That Wandering Jew complements them pretty good there oddly enuff. It'll have to complement them from the basement soon as it'll have to come in!

I think I know now how best to get the white to come out in my SpiderPlants, give them plenty of sun. This one gets plenty thruout the day and it has some good white on it. - I'll be bringing those houseplants in, in a couple weeks maybe, it has been getting pretty cool at nite, around mid to high forties. That SpiderPlant still amazes me, it was just a baby earlier this year.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9272478

I need to keep my eye out for a good source of some bigger rocks. I have an iris bed that I lined with rocks but only a few are big and the rest are really small. I prefer rocks over the concrete stuff. lol

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9272501

Natural rocks are much nicer!Some times you just have to use what you have though.here's the other side of the tree with more rocks. Eventually though mine will be a combination all the way around.

billyporter; Nice to hear or read from you! you see., we missed you!!

more rocks/

Thumbnail by juhur7

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #9273571

Yeah, natural rocks are by far the best. I'll get you some, pepper! Want me to get you some? I am a rock collector you know!

I am sure glad this Pilea 'Aluminum' decided to get leaves again. It has got some pretty leaves, it's an awesome houseplant. -

I went to HomeDepot tonite, they have the Rose Trees half off! They are $19.99, they are about 4 feet tall. I will probably go back and get a red one. The Independence store only had red and pink and from my previous Rose shopping experiences all the Rose colors besides pink sell out fast, well, besides the always stocked (or overstocked) Knockout Roses..lol I couldn't resist telling a HomeDepot worker that something was labeled wrong, they had Black Hills Spruce labeled as just "Juniper". I wouldn't have said anything but they were nearly a hundred dollars! I know I don't like to get screwed so I thought I might save someone else a future mystery and likely nightmare. I probably wouldn't have said anything then but a worker walked right by me so I piped up. Unfortunately, some HomeDepot worker uses the word "Juniper" in a general kind of way for all evergreens.

They have changed the forecast for tomorrow, of course! There is still a chance for rain tomorrow but now instead of a 90% chance of rain it's only 60%! And it is gonna be cool. I mean 68 degrees for a high cool!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9273652

Those rocks on the other side now have ice plants growing in them. I am still hoping the plants do well.I have have willow and lavender taking root from cuttings and maybe a hibiscus.
Does the tag in the pot say Azeala rare plants,looks like it.
It is still plenty hot here.80's and humid with sunshine,I planted some poppies around the side of the house today ,but I am not as hopeful for success I would usually be..and I wouldn't pay a hundred bucks for any old juniper and I would be seething if I did!.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2012
9:51 PM

Post #9273690

Am I going to have to mail you a copy of the label?! lol It doesn't say that! I'm just kidding you, juhur! I know what you mean though, some labels do have "rare" something or other on the tag. Do you mean next to the red angel? It just says Exotic Angel Plants there, they are your big Walmart supplier of houseplants I think.

I just went out on the front porch and looked at the label to my Ice Plant. It's called Jewel of Desert, Rosequartz IcePlant, anyway, I couldn't believe how cold hardy they are, -10 to -20 it says!
Now I want more of it! I want to make a display with it and some evergreen Hens And Chicks I got.

Oh, it's still warm right now, it says 79 degrees still right now at the weather website, but that's going to drop tonite I believe.

I wouldn't pay a hundred dollars for a plant either, not unless I was rich and had money to burn, which I don't! My wallet is currently empty! lol Today, a guy at school asked around if anybody had 5 ones for a five and I said "not me, my wallet is empty" lol
But, in the "Juniper's" defense, it is about 6 feet tall.
I can see where somebody wanting a bigger plant for some nice landscaping would want to save much money from the nurseries' spend-whatever-it-takes method of plants and landscaping and get a good sized plant like that to lend a more mature, expensive look, to a yard or something. Personally, I like to spend about a dollar most times, and wait 5 to 10 years for it to be big enuff to put it outside! Or, if I can get something to grow from a seed or a cutting then I would do that first.
Will

This message was edited Sep 12, 2012 11:52 PM

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2012
3:41 AM

Post #9273766

58/64/43
Overcast with showers at times. Winds NNE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

It's windy!

Will,
I still have two hummingbirds eating on my flowers. They'll leave when it's time.

Pepper,
I hear you on nonstop and insane, LOL!

Will,
I like the rocks out there and the Wanderer looks good too! I sometimes miss having a spider plant, but with my cats... forget it! Your's look great!

Thanks Ju!
Oooh, I like those rocks!

Will,
Laughing, I used to have the pilea too. I tried all the little store plants I think.
Yikes. $100.00! I would have spoke up too.

Ju,
I love ice plant. I'm still needing lavender, but not till I get the rose bed better situated. My neighbor has it and I love the smell. I have a sprig I brought home yesterday :o)

Will,
Still... I bought 4' tall arborvitaes - ''Emerald'' for $20.00. I still think they mislabeled them. They are beautiful and tall now. I wonder about the health of the root ball in the pot.

Rain for all of us I think. It's pretty chilly here and not going to warm up.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9275348

Boy, the weather has really taken a change! The heat is gone, the cool is in! It's about 30 degrees cooler than it was 2 or 3 days ago. Pretty soon it will be time to bring in stuff that can't get cold.

Yeah, the hummingbirds here, (at my fake flower anyway) have decided to stay a while. - In the second photo it appears to be looking in the window, maybe it's saying thanks! But, I do need to make more water so it isn't so low for it to get. I got these photos about 20 minutes ago.

I put down some more mulch today, I'm trying to cover up all that nasty black mulch that I put down before. - There is my 2 Emerald Arborvitaes, to quote somebody, I hope they live long and prosper!
There is my old yella wheeled wheelbarrow in action! I don't know why my Banana Basjoos stayed so small this year, but that's one cluster of 3 or 4 in the photo, they aren't dead, but they're small!
Don't forget to water those Emeralds in such hot, dry weather, man I worry like crazy now because the leaves all came off a Weeping Dissected Japanese Maple. I hope it comes back next year or I may be living in a cardboard box! Many other trees and bushes have died because they were too far away to water or something and my friend isn't happy already. I water, and she says, "okay, why didn't you water the dead ones"!
I don't know what to say! I'm just kidding, she wouldn't throw me out I don't think! lol

Thanks on the rocks too, Sally. I proposed today putting dirt, IcePlants and Hens And Chicks in between them, my friend likes that idea too. You can see the rocks a little in the photo with the wheelbarrow up in the top right corner.
Will

This message was edited Sep 14, 2012 8:12 PM

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9275483

Here's the Hen &Chicks more of them and more rocks since this was taken ,and there is ice plants too!
Reminds me of a couple kids playing copy cat.LOL

Thumbnail by juhur7

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9275534

Haha! But honest, I didn't know you did that! It IS a good idea though and yours looks great, juhur!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2012
9:23 PM

Post #9276349

Well, I couldn't resist the temptation! I went to HomeDepot and got that old Rose Tree! I just hope it's redder than it now looks in the photo! Maybe my camera is playing tricks on me but it sure looked redder at the store!
Boy, they really have some decent deals on bigger, money plants for the landscaping. A do-it-yourselfer could go hog wild big landscaping for about $200. I'm talking about big Tanyosho Pines, big Weeping White Pines and I believe one other was a big Colorado Blue Spruce 'globosa' but not globosa, it had some other name but it wasn't globosa, I have a globosa but it was a $25 plant there late last Fall, anyway those that I named were $49.98 ea. There was more big ones but I don't remember their names.

Boy howdy! This is pretty hot, from mid-July here in KC., I got this screenshot from back then. It won't be these temperatures again for a while! I remember that one that says 110 actually turned out to be around 102,
although, I think it did get up to 106 or 107 one day that week. And several other days was 104 or 105, somewhere in there. -

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9276981

I'm loving this cool weather. Not a single complaint here. lol
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9277199

No complaints here either, I just grouse about the 20 or so plants that I'll need to bring in soon and find a place for! Pretty soon it'll look like this maybe, if it's not another mild Winter! -

I potted up that Rose Tree today. - I put it in a planter in case it's diseased, it is isolated by itself. The cashier lady at HomeDepot said she always wondered how they make Rose Trees, I said, "I don't know, all I know is it's grafted, it's like a Rose bush sitting on top of a trunk, stick or something"..lol I don't claim to know how it's done! I didn't know until today that it was a "Double Knockout Rose", I've never been a fan of the double flowering ones, I think they look odd, but they're still pretty!
Will

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9278197

I have room for all my plants. I made sure not to buy anymore houseplants this year except for the meezo. That one will need trimmed up here pretty soon. It's a good 2-3 feet long. lol
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9278266

Unfortunately, I have acquired several houseplants this year and made 3 more SpiderPlants from babies. I don't really regret it, but now the task of finding a place for them (which I always do, well, usually..lol). Now that I think about it, I had to leave several houseplants in the garage over the Winter 3 years ago and roughly half of them succumbed to the temperatures, I kept them watered. In my defense, I had even asked family members if they'd keep them at their houses, I didn't have any takers. I lost a nice CornPlant and a Euphorbia that Winter, I got photos then of them not looking so good, it is grim! - That Aloe Vera, SnakePlant and Purple Wandering Jew made it, but the Aloe Vera succumbed this Summer to the heat I'm guessing, it shriveled all up and died about a month or 2 ago, stuff happens. I'm guessing Aloe Vera likes about 80 or 90 but not 103 every steenking day for days and weeks at a time! I could tell some of my other houseplants (like Dieffenbachia..lol) were languishing in the heat, they'd die way down, or I'd bring them in for a few days or put them in the shade this Summer and they'd get leaves and do considerably better. And then, some other houseplants like Sago Palm, SpiderPlant, Mother-In-Laws-Tongue AND SnakePlant and striped Wandering Jew never flinched in the heat.
And of course, my cactuses and Succulents sucked the heat up thru a straw!

This message was edited Sep 17, 2012 8:51 PM

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9278306

I'm not the house plant keeper but I enjoy them and have a few.The peach hibiscus will be in tomorrow night 40 degrees coming.
Here's the ice plant in 1&2 new divisions of Stella "d" oro daylily in #3 The old timber will get moved out of there just makes it easy to mow around for the time being. Morning glory and sunflower maximillion in 4&5 Those were taken today^_^

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9278335

Nice juhur, those are some blooms there! That Maximillion Sunflower sure is thick in bloom. Nice IcePlant planting there. I had IcePlant mixed up with something else. The something else came with my little pots of Carpet Sedum. The "Carpet Sedum" that I got I believe is just a mixture of 2 or 3 different plants. The one that I mistook for IcePlant was 1 of those plants in that little Carpet Sedum assortment. But, I looked up the propagation of IcePlant and the pleasant surprise for me of it propagating by cuttings is still on, but that other one I'm pretty sure is not a hardy plant here for the Winter, like IcePlant. I'd look it up if I knew what it was.
Oh, in retrospect, I was thinking about the Aloe Vera up there that I mentioned, it also got dragged out of the pot by a cat in addition to the heat. Just a few minutes ago, I found a very small sprig of that Aloe Vera that was on the floor where a cat dragged it out of the pot a month ago. Anyway, it was still green, I ran it under the faucet and took it outside and made a hole with my finger and stuck it in a succulent dish I have out there. Maybe it'll keep going, that'd be cool, I didn't have anymore of it since that one died.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #9278351

My parent use to grow aloe ,she even had a big Senseveria plant for a while.I 'm not sure what happened to those. I remember her always adding those to her creams and things. I hear they are easy to grow from seed also.
The forsythia seemed to be getting a green calloused bud last I looked a couple of days ago.I have in there with some willows and tropical hibiscus cuttings that are rooting.I have some lavender and yarrow in bags outside that are developing roots with any hope I will have enough of them to make another setting look right.
I'm going to try the salix discolor (pussy willow) next to see if that's any good (with me rooting it that is")
And the last but not least I have a clematis(the parents from earlier really) that everybody has been asking for that I wil try next spring.You tube got me wondering,I am such a glutton when it comes to plant ,always wanting to do this and that ,but then I have been like that every since I stole a tomato from a garden when I was very young.
I have little sprouts of giant red poppies at the side of the house, I have never been able to grow those as one of the easiest things they say there is to grow. Contrary to what the instructions say they like a little more shade than sun,at least here and lately anyway.
You can certainly tell when I have been doing paperwork and caffeine ,yes indeed LOL
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2012
9:35 PM

Post #9278447

I've never got the cream out of an Aloe Vera. Maybe that's why this sprig was still green after so long of being out of a pot, without sun or water for so long, maybe it was living on the moisture inside of the foliage.
Great, hope that Forsythia does something for you, juhur. Oh boy, keep your tomatoes away from juhur!
I'd like to get Clematis and poppies going someday, but actually both those plants never grew when I tried them before.
I hear you about caffeine. I don't drink coffee but I get a sweet tea from McDonalds pretty regularly, I didn't get one today but I got one yesterday.
Will

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 18, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9279485

I don't think I never did say I enjoyed your you-tube video and I really like liked those potted plants! Had to bring in a couple tonight.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2012
5:52 AM

Post #9279753

Hey thanks! I don't usually like to be that close to cars zooming by. I'll be bringing my potted plants in very soon myself. It is getting quite cool!

This message was edited Sep 19, 2012 8:37 AM

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9280002

Breezed through at break time and put the plants back out ,too cold this morning.brrr.
I'll be "diggin sunchokes" later , maybe
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9280491

My plants are all still outside and will be for awhiles yet. Have 2 spikes, 2 tropical hibiscus, 1 meezo and a desert rose that I will be bringing in. I have a big gerber daisy I over wintered last year but it never attempted to bloom this year so I'm done with it.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9280597

It's getting a little warmer, not much, but right now the lowest temperature here looks like 49 for the next 3 days, which could change of course. I was at school when I edited that above post at 8:37a, I get there at 8:25 or so. At 7:52 this morning I was about to leave in a few minutes, I had a few typos..lol I'm lucky to have internet there, the other day he went to each student's computer and clipped their ethernet cable with scissors and we had to repair it, which is no easy task when your not used to it!

I want a Meezo now, just for the name, I don't know what it looks like!

What's a sunchoke? Is it like an artichoke?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9280608

Meezo. Here's a link for it. Very easy to grow.

http://floridafriendlyplants.com/Blog/post/2009/03/14/Livingstone-Daisy-Mezoo-Trailing-Red-a-great-new-plant.aspx

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9280683

IT'S a Sunflower,Helianthus tuberosa Makes big tubers, tasteless potato, Jerusalem Artichoke.

Boo on clipping ethernet cable...not nice at all!!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2012
9:45 PM

Post #9280709

Oh I see, pretty plant, I looked at that link, I like that variegated look. It looks like a fairly vigorous plant there, I bet it makes a good trailing plant for a hanging basket maybe.
A Jerusalem Artichoke eh? I just have a regular Sunflower but it says it gets 12 feet tall, but I think it got stunted by the heat and now it's just too late for it to get past it's current foot and a half stage, I didn't plant it till June.

Yeah, clipping our cables wasn't nice, but it's a learning experience I guess. Today, he was lecturing and this one girl was playing hearts on the internet and the instructor got his scissors back out, walked over to her computer and clipped her ethernet cable, it was the first time she wasn't looking at her screen during class! This other guy told on her before that though, he says, "she doesn't know the answer because she is playing hearts". He got scolded a few days before that, so it was her turn..lol.
She sat there like I did saying "um, um, um", but at least I muttered out what DNS stands for! Friday is the last day of that class, man, the heat is on, I'm pretty sure he's like, "every student is going to pass these exams and each one of them will participate by gosh!"! I am an inward anti-social butterfly for pete's sake! Actually, I'm starting to not be so anti-social, because everybody is pretty much having to participate.
I mean, going up to the board or projector pc and demonstrating how stuff is done. I don't plan on refusing to go in front of the class like this one guy did today, it was funny, the instructor says, "want to come up and show us how that's done?", and this guy says, "no"! lol I'd like to say that myself, but I won't I guess..lol I've already worked the computer at the overhead projector up front once, with one other student, I'll try it by myself if I have to I guess!
Oh boy, what if he comes here!

This message was edited Sep 20, 2012 12:27 AM
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2012

Post #9282587

Well, that class is done.. Whew!
I was at HomeDepot and I mysteriously had my camera with me! lol
Anyway, here are some evergreens they have for $49.98, they will make somebody some nice plants for the yard. - The Fall deals at the box-stores are edging near!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9284242

Got behind again. I hate sleeping in but boy, having the Grandkids around wears me out for a couple of days,

Will,
Yikes on some of those prices!

We frosted last night, but it didn't hurt anything. I had already picked most of the garden anyway. I've frozen most of the tomatoes as juice and made soup for tomorrow. I picked green tomatoes and am frying them up tomorrow too. We got all our grass back and enough rain so I get to mow now! Walnots are dropping and we get to pick them up too :o)/(o:

I'm all showered and shampooed and ready to slump in a chair and relax till bed time.

Have a good night all!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 23, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9284370

Hi Sally! On those prices I never really looked into those for $49.98 but I see that's the starting price so I'm not sure what everything costs. It figures, something in small print!
At least they aren't like VirginMobile, they say "unlimited data", they just lie to get customers, it's really 2.5 Gigabytes a month of data, then after that it's some charge, (but I'm sure it's not enuff data). 2.5 gigabytes sounds like a lot but it really isn't to people that surf the web and check their email regularly. Oh, and they can't sue for libel or anything because it's the truth and you can actually tell the truth also believe it or not! - http://www.virginmobileusa.com/cell-phone-plans/beyond-talk-plans/overview/#overview Look in the middle of the page at the gray small print with the asterisk next to it..lol Sprint even runs commercials saying, "real unlimited data". Virgin founder Richard Branson probably didn't become a billionaire for telling the truth I don't think!

Here is a link to a well-regarded campaign to save bees from a chemical used in our crops that is wiping the bees out. - http://www.avaaz.org/en/hope_for_bees_usa/?blOqxbb&v=18162
Avaaz was the organization that had reporters in Syria to report on the human rights abuses when nothing could get in or out of Syria otherwise. They were in the news for that, it is a great organization and I've never heard of them (or experienced them) sharing your email, sending virii or scamming or anything like that.

Your all showered and shampooed, billyp?! I only shower and shampoo once every 6 months or so, I don't want to wash off my natural oils!
That was just a joke, I really bathe more often than that! lol

I brought in my houseplants and other marginals too, like the little succulents on the left of the first photo in that black plastic tray, don't mind the clutter in the garage, we're working on it! I intend to put all those plants back outside for a few days, it is warming up a little for a few days ( http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast ) , unless that has changed, last nite they had forecast a low of 38 degrees, although, I don't think it ever really got that low. I'll watch that forecast close, I don't want my plants to die!

This message was edited Sep 23, 2012 11:26 PM

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 23, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9284390

I don't think it got that low either but I brought my stuff in last night then put them back out this morning. All but the meezoo. That I trimmed up and brought inside. Oh and Will, I have a ton of cuttings from that coming to you this week. Hoping I remember to hit the post office after work tomorrow. You will have plenty to play with and send to others if they take off. Or just toss them in the compost if there is more than you can handle. lol
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 23, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9284402

Cool, thanks Pepper! I'll send you something! How about a regular lavender Rose-Of-Sharon cutting, SnakePlant cutting, Mother-In-Law's-Tongue cutting, Forsythia cutting, English Ivy cutting, Dieffenbachia cutting, Blueberry cutting, SpiderPlant baby, striped Wandering Jew cutting, Golden Pothos cutting or Persimmon seeds?

I think I counted 32 plants that I had brought in..lol
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 23, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9284433

The blueberry would be the only one I could find a place for. lol. My table is crammed as it is so no houseplants. But I can give the blueberry a home as soon as we get done redoing the outside of the house and tear down the old shed where we are keeping the siding. I am hoping to plant blueberries there. Have 2 already but can always use another!!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 23, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9284456

Ok, it's a deal, Pepper! It kinda didn't do so well with the hot Summer, but I'm pretty sure it's alive, it has quite a few little branches that look alive. The leaves fell off of it about a month ago.
Actually, it had blueberries about May. It's called 'Duke' Blueberry - http://www.ehow.com/how_6734564_propogate-blueberry-plants.html , I just went out with a flashlite and looked at the label. Oh.. it says Spring for cuttings, hope it's okay now. Please don't send more than a stamp or 2 on the Mezoo, one stamp covers up to 13 ounces if the regular-sized envelope is flat or fairly flat. - https://www.usps.com/ship/first-class.htm
Oh, I wouldn't put them in the compost, I'd put them together before I did that.
Will

This message was edited Sep 23, 2012 11:29 PM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9285297

It's on it's way as of this afternoon. :~) And they are in a big envie. Lots and lots of cuttings. lol
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9285336

Ok, and the Blackberry cuttings are on their way as well! Mine is only one big cutting and one, well, I'll let you decide if it's big enuff to plant! lol
Thanks!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9285341

One cutting is fine and I will do my best to get it going.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9285411

Cool, hope it grows for you! I also am curious if it succeeds as a cutting-grown Blueberry Bush. Here it is today, this is the Blueberry Bush that I got your cutting from, Pepper. - This is the majority of my houseplants/tender plants. - I put them all back out to enjoy a few more warm days, I'm thinking that unless the forecast changes, I can leave them out for another week, they might even get rained on. The Sunflower in the photo is all drooping like it hasn't had water in forever when actually it's only been 2 days I believe. I watered them all tonite, you can see water all over the place! I forgot to bring a Coleus in the other nite when it got down to nearly 40 degrees, but it's fine now. I am glad, I want to make more of them from that one.
I just got back from Walmart, I got me some new glasses! I got some genuine "horn-rimmed" spectacles all on order! I think I'd make a fine Clark Kent, haha, well in theory I guess! I can pretend to be Superman and leap tall buildings, save busses full of people and such! I'm getting bi-focals for the first time, no-line even! I just need to part my hair now like the Beav on Leave-It-To-Beaver and oil my hair down!
Will

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 25, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9286359

Got the cuttings and have them sitting in water right now. Thanks!!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 25, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9286449

Cool, all I got in the mail was something from unemployment, dangit! It'll probably come in tomorrow's mail, I'm looking forward to it. A big ol' branch fell off overnite off one of the Pin Oak trees in the front yard and I cut it all up today and put it out with a "free" sign on the wood. I got a before and after photo of it, it's really not that small, it broke this pig-iron connector thing on the fence, now the top-rail just sits there, fortunately it doesn't fall off. - A neighbor down the street gets wood, he has came by several times, he recycles metal too, I've given him quite a bit of miscellaneous metal and stuff, his wife and him are nice. His wife and him do that for a living, recycle metal, they use a fireplace at home.

Thumbnail by shortleaf            

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 25, 2012
9:02 PM

Post #9286527

I unintentionally removed the before photo, I clicked the red x and poof, it was gone, when I really just wanted to look at it. Here it is again!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9287284

Wow Pepper! Do you have any left?! I made 4 pots of different sizes with those cuttings today! The cuttings were so thick it looks like they've been growing already!
Here they are in their new pots and hanging planters. Don't mind the funny effects, I was just having some fun with the photos, that's not really a water-ripple!
Thanks again, Pepper!
Will

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9287290

I told you it was long!! LOL!! I still have a foot or so all around. I cut off quite a bit so that it would grow thicker as well as longer. It is like wandering jew in a ways. You have to trim it up sometimes to keep it from looking ragged.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9287334

It was indeed! It's a nice variegation, I can't wait to see it all growed up! It should make a fine hanging basket flowing look.
Want to see my new lawnmower? My friend and me went halfsies on it, so it is half all mine! But, I get to do all the mowing, yippee! If we get in a big fight, I wonder how we're going to cut it in half! I get easily excited and for gosh sakes, it has a 22" cut and big back wheels!

Boy, my big SpiderPlant has just exploded in growth and babies since it has cooled off and started raining a little. Anybody want a baby, it's not too late! You know you want one to hang on the porch!

This message was edited Sep 26, 2012 8:46 PM

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9287351

You realize temptation is torture with the best of intentions!!lol
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9287359

You're tempted by that SpiderPlant aren't you juhur?! I'm going to mail you a baby!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9287376

Just know if you do I have to send you some of next years sedum, or ice plant seeds ,something like that
and further as to the baby plant I promise not to throw it out with the bathwater only feed it with some than has been filtered! tee hee
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9287389

Haha! I'll see if I can find the little washcloth and towel to go with it! I just squirt dishsoap on the leaves for soap! I'll have it in the mail tomorrow! I just looked up your addy in dmail.
I'd love to have any of that stuff you mentioned.
Will

This message was edited Sep 26, 2012 10:11 PM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9287392

If I had a porch it would be littered with spider plants thanks to you and my grandma. Good thing I don't!! LOL
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9287403

It doesn't necessarily have to be a front porch. They could hang from the backporch or even the eaves! That's what I did, drill holes in the eave front board (the actual eave is too thin) then hang hooks from the holes for plants!
I even used a studfinder to find the rafters in the living room ceiling and I drilled holes in the ceiling to hang plants from them!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9287412

I have 2 spots out front that I can hang from and I do hang stuff there every year. But they will be disappearing in the next year as we make our way around to the front with new siding and windows. Right now it's just a picture window but we are putting in a bay window eventually. So my hanging space will be gone.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9287467

I usually have 20 or so houseplants in the living room window in the Winter myself. Today, I bought 2 shoplites and 2 bulbs for each of them, I already have 1 shoplite and plant-bulbs in it. I want to make a contraption out of a baker's cart, (one of those silver rolling carts that are so popular, anyway, we have an extra one here and I have the go-ahead to use it for my plants. I plan on rigging it all up with shoplites and such, it will be quite the project, but this is one project that I need to finish and hopefully by this weekend.

Oh, I forgot to say that I saved $17 on that lawnmower by buying it in the off-season..lol I just had to say that!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #9287523

Hey a Mr.Jackson is a Mr Jackson I have a 55 gallon tank I keep mine in till spring ,
We have a large wooden deck here lots of places for plants if one has the energy to do so.
I have been putting the garden to sleep and building a "lean to" for next year, a 10 ft fence and angle iron.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2012
11:46 AM

Post #9288057

I've never heard that saying before, but I think I like it! I got a big SpiderPlant baby in the mailbox. If ever they were going to refuse a letter because the envelope was too fat and not enuff postage on it, it would be this one! There's only a stamp on it..lol It's a bubble envelope and it is far from flat. I'm just making a trellis outside and doing some painting outside today also.

I hope the tank is empty!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9288281

Yes. empty of fish and critters only a few small pots in there. I also bought a green panda bamboo for 4.95 with some other plants that was great, usually seeds alone cost twice that .
Too late to paint outside here,even if the paint dries good enough, it has to bake on a while.
I always use to feel silly for a few minutes when an envelope was returned to me for insufficient postage, only that 's been years ago as it is.
If you get in a big fight you go with mower on weekends and cut your friends grass also, lol That way you don't have too hire anyone to mow over your favorite plants and flowers.
My lean to is that cucumber trellis I mentioned earlier this spring I'm " round tuit"

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9288373

Yeah, it's kinda late for painting here too but better late than wait sometimes, and it is still fairly warm during the daytime. Oh, I'm just kidding, we don't get in any big fights, we've been friends for many, many years. And besides, she knows that I have squatter's rights now, I tell her that pretty regularly! We are great friends.

Glad to hear your tank is empty, most plants can't swim! A cucumber trellis eh? I made one out of an old rusted fence piece (but thick, heavy-duty metal), I put a blown out garden hose that I cut up the length with tin-snips, on the edges of it and secured it with 25 lb. test Zebco fishing line! I am going to put it at the base of the chimney here for many cuttings of English Ivy to climb up. I want this trellis because the foundation is about 3 feet before the brick part that the chimney is made of, I'm pretty sure the Ivy can climb up the brick with no problem but the painted cinder-block foundation part is a bit slicker.

Is that Panda Bamboo running or clumping? You can see a little of my P. Bisettii behind the Wandering Jew, they are in kitty litter jugs.

Anybody want some of my glorious striped purple Wandering Jew?! I got a photo of my big plant of it, you'll wish you had a nice one like this! Actually, this is the best time of the year for it. I think it would love to have the weather like it is right now (maybe a little warmer, not much), all the time, with water of course. Here's that photo! Isn't it just a beautiful plant?!

That SpiderPlant baby is on it's way to Indiana as we speak.
Here is some of my houseplants outside, with the Mezoo from pepper bringing up the end. -
Will

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9288390

That is a really nice wondering jew!! We have had a few, only something always seems to happen to them. We can hope spider baby enjoys the trip only I doubt it gets to enjoy the views.
The bamboo is fargesia rufa clumping , it is hardy to zone 5 like Michigan
My trellis is built from an angle iron bed frame from the garbage, and an 8 x 10 piece of 10 foot galvanized fence.
The weather here is suppose to be warmer the next 8 days or so 80 degrees for next Wednesday.
Not many house plants here but bunches of outdoor flowers this year,,I am thankful for a few more warmer days to give the seedlings time to grow to size to return next spring.
All kinds of little daylilies ,lupines, poppies,hibiscus, and the iris are just getting going with their new fan shoots.
Lots and lots of "nothing to do? you know. A couple of the Daylily seedlings are from my own seeds so I am really looking forward to seeing them do well.

Remember this? it is still blooming.

Thumbnail by juhur7

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9288416

Thanks, that's a nice red Hibiscus! 80 next Wed.? That's kinda far away to rely on that forecast! I don't bank on any weather forecast more than a day or so, it always seems to change here!
I like that episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm where Larry David says the weather-man is predicting rain on Sunday so he can have the golf course to himself!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9288425

That's a good one ^_^

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2012
2:25 PM

Post #9290126

This arrived today to show!!! I thought I could not imagine what it was or who had sent it. Did you know? LOL!! and thank greenery!
All kinds of things to do,poetry here's the lean to. Second of a penstemon plant ,not sure of how I just did that.lol

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9290302

Here's my new trellis and where I plan to put it, below the chimney.

P. bissettii in the ground in kitty litter buckets, I've covered them up with mulch, the kitty litter buckets showing wasn't a very good look!
I'm not expecting them to get very big, their roots are pretty restricted on space!

Wanna see our new clearance lawnmower?! -
Will

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9290303

Oh good, really, that's a sigh of relief! I was worried it wouldn't arrive on Saturday then it would sit in the mail all weekend. That occurred to me after I mailed it! I talked about one shouldn't mail something at the end of the week and I do it myself! That's a nice pot that it's in. It'll bring you many years of enjoyment, mark my words!

Nice Penstemon there, juhur.

This Groundhog was in the backyard enjoying some weeds and tall grass! It was nice seeing it, isn't it just precious?! It just makes you want to pet it and give it a great big hug! And then, it would probably bite you once or many times and give you rabies, but it is cute anyway! I can see why they made a holiday after it, it's a cool animal. I zoomed way in on it, I wasn't really that close. I was first in the kitchen window then when I saw that it wasn't leaving, I went out to the deck and got an even closer look. Our cat Bucky was out there staring at it too. The local accurate news channel here in Kansas City even forecast for a high next Wed. of 83, which I expect to be about ten degrees less than that when the day actually gets here! - http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast That's the way it usually happens, they forecast way in the future for it to be nice, prolly so people will tune in, then when the day actually gets here it is MUCH different!

This message was edited Sep 29, 2012 8:22 PM

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2012

Post #9290381

First thing Grandma said Oh that smells good!!! Like green perfume! Thanks again for the the plant , it will return to you as something other.Then you will wonder how it changed into that and returned!lol
Always liked Bamboo and Willows ,they waft around so peacefully in the breeze,wonderful !
How about that ,did you ever have a Big wheel? You do now, only this one you push instead of pedal.About the same amount of excercise?lol
My bamboo is yet to go in the ground ,then I will post a pic,
We have an occasional Groundhog I hear they can be mean if bothered or upset,Really strong I know they are as years ago I chased on with a pole, it turned grabbed the pole and threw me over and 5 ft, away like a karate flip, lol that thought stayed with my memory.^_^

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 29, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9290431

A little bit of Minnesota beauty.
And a couple pics of my Hostas from my deck.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens      

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9290444

Aren't the fall colors wonderful! Hosta garden looks peaceful , and country quiet . Looks to be in good shape around you after a year that it has been.
Ground there looks dry in the pic, plants look good !!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #9290461

Your welcome Grandma! It smells good?! I hope it's fragrance brings you many good times and good fortune! I'll have to go get a whiff of it sometime! It's usually money that gives a good smell of green! I like that Geico boat insurance commercial where the man is made of money, even if it is Monopoly money, I'd still grab for the falling money!

I like Bamboos and Willows too. I grew this Weeping Willow starting from a cutting in 2003, it is now at a Sister's house. That's it in the corner. - It started out as this, it'll be the second photo..lol - Yes, that's a seashell and a one foot ruler with it!

Nice Fall color on that tree, Country, my guess would be an Ash or a SweetGum tree, but nice color whatever it is! It looks like some White Ash I've seen around here in Fall color other years. And your Hostas are holding up better than ours, here they are kinda shriveled up and/or discolored, nice arrangement there, it looks good. Sorry to hear the drought lingering on so much up there. Minnesota is nice, that's one of the states that I want to visit on a vacation or something, it and Florida! Minnesota isn't that far away though, maybe 5 or 600 miles.

A BigWheel? No. A BigWheel was kinda too expensive growing up. I always admired the kids who had a BigWheel. I remember, 2 cousins had one each and would ride them around their basement when we visited, today they are a doctor and an engineer! Is it too late to get one?! I'll settle for the danged ol' pushmower kind! Haha! I'll always get a non-self-propelled one tho, better exercise and less work when you have to actually turn it and move it.

A Groundhog did that to you?! I've been robbed! This one only stood on it's hind legs and said, "what's up doc'" then walked away with my sombrero on it's head!

edited yet again for typos! My friend said she saw the "Groundpig or whatever it is", I politely told her it's a Groundhog! Anyway, she said this time it was in the front yard and it was running as fast as it could to get away from her!

This message was edited Sep 30, 2012 12:33 PM

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9293010

This thread is closed, go here please. - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1282936/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Central Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
You have to guess what this is - it's in my garden. LOL crystalnurse 181 Sep 22, 2010 10:54 AM
dahlias-How to store allysgram 18 Apr 18, 2007 4:39 PM
Stargazer Lily Bulbs Question cedarnest 19 Jul 3, 2007 8:42 PM
Let's go gardening! Terry 12 Jun 21, 2014 10:28 PM
Speaking of winter MaryinLa 5 Mar 3, 2007 2:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America