Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: How do I get rid of invasive plants?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 2, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mdaisyjayne
Marion, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 4, 2012
3:35 AM

Post #9264236

I made the mistake of planting chameleon plant years ago. My garden is on an old river bed; it has good soil for 6-8 inches, then gravel. I can't dig the deep roots out as they are entangled in the rocks. I use Round-up on the plant, but it just pops back up in another area. Is there any solution to my problem?

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

October 24, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9314583

You can't dig and you have tried Round up. I am not familiar with the plant, but we all have invasive plants. There are different types of Round-up. When I bought my house in 2002, I had to get rid of a tree that was planted 1 ft away from the corner of my house. The branches were growing under the shingles. I first cut it down to 8", then drilled holes and poured Round-up for hard to kill plants (poision ivy and other brush) undiluled into the holes. I also killed a common Lilac that prevented me from going to the back yard without walking throught he house.

It is not enough to treat once time. You have to keep at it until the plant doesn't pop up anymore. Most likely your invasive plant is popping up from the roots, maybe. Just keep at it with Round-up.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9314620

I agree, if you can't dig it up you just have to keep after it with the Roundup. It'll take a while, but if you stay on top of spraying new leaves every time you see them pop up then hopefully over time you will have less and less problem with it. The trouble is if you let some of it grow for a while (either because you didn't notice it or you decided not to take care of it right away), that will allow the roots to continue to grow bigger & stronger and spread, so you need to take care of any new growth when you see it.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America