-
AuthorContent
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2012
11:30 AM

Post #9264666

My Google search on propagation turned up the idea of cutting off the top of a Haworthia, drying out the top, potting it up later. Got some nice fat leaves as well, with a bit of stem attached = more possible plants. It mentioned that the base of the original plant will produce new plants that can be harvested. Has anyone here done this with success? I just cut off the top of 3 older/larger Haw. Limifolias. I will report on any luck but wanted a preview of this (new to me) method.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9266282

No experience with it but always curious to learn. I've never had the urge to be that brutal to my Haworthias. lol

It should work with no problem, providing you allow them to dry and don't let them rot with winter coming.

Please, do post your successes or failures. I will be interested... Kristi
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9266286

OK, will post any results. Where I live they are indeed house plants. Even during the summer outside they do not get rain directly - too much here.
plexippus
Chicago Suburbs, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9267416

I have done this unintentionally with several haworthias.

One of my dogs chewed up a H. venosa when he was a puppy. One of the leaves I was able to root and it has since turned into three plants. The base was too chewed up so I tossed it and planted the tip. The tip was growing fine until I fertilized it as an experiment and the new growth blew up like a balloon and looked awful. I lopped off the ugly new growth and the main plant has produced two nice pups from the top. So far no sign of growth from the sides or bottom.

The growing point of one of my truncatas was damaged by water or bugs. I scooped out the bad tissue and waited to see what would happen. That was about 6-7 months ago and I just noticed the other day the beginning of a new pup at the base.

I have a NOID (possibly woolleyi?) It is an older plant that was damaged somehow and I had to remove some lower leaves that exposed a stem. I tried to save the top but it was too damaged so I eventually cut it off leaving some of the stem. Eventually a pup grew off the side of the stem.

gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2012
5:11 AM

Post #9267756

Guess I am always impressed with how tough Succulents are.
Anniesfollies
Carlsbad, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 7, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9268010

Great question, and I'm glad to read the responses. I carelessly rotted the center few leaves of one of my Haworthias by letting water sit in it and wondered what to do as the rest of the plant looks fine. I'll have to try cutting the top off and hope I get some pups.
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9268028

http://haworthia-gasteria.blogspot.com/2008/01/propagation.html

The article I read that started me thinking.
plexippus
Chicago Suburbs, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9268171

Here are some pictures of the plants that had the growth point damaged or lost.

I had forgotten all about the starkiana (or whatever they call it now) I purchased it with the growth point damaged but did not realize it at the time. It had a few pups on the side but once I cut out the dead growth point it pupped like crazy from the sides as well as the top. I had to pull most of the pups off last winter but I left the smaller ones. Now there are only 3 or 4 leaves of the original plant left.

The second picture is the H. venosa the new plants at the top. They only started growing in Feb/March and I cant believe how big they got in such a short period of time.

The 3rd and 4th picture are H. woolleyi (?) The first one I dropped a bucket on in the spring and I just noticed it it is producing a pup at the top. The other one is the plant that I pulled the bottom leaves from exposing the stem and eventually cut the top off. That plant has been growing since last summer.

The last picture is the truncata...sorry about the weird angle of the picture.

Thumbnail by plexippus   Thumbnail by plexippus   Thumbnail by plexippus   Thumbnail by plexippus   Thumbnail by plexippus
Click an image for an enlarged view.

gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9268252

Thanks for the pix. Gives me hope. Looks like a way to get more pups. If all goes well with my H. Limifolia, I might even try this on a H. Limifolia Striata later.
helenchild
Decatur, GA

September 8, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9269418

The few Haworthias I have had just seem to grow and multiply quite readily. The lime green one is slow though, this plant is maybe 4 years old. You can see where some rodent chewed on it - not so attractive now.

Thumbnail by helenchild   Thumbnail by helenchild   Thumbnail by helenchild      

gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9295966

Update - first appearance of new growth on top of one of the stumps (original part of plant.)

This message was edited Oct 4, 2012 3:51 PM
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9358979

Update - The plants that are sitting in a window sill have shown no signs of putting out new tops. Couple of new pups, but no growth on top. Boy, they look funny. Oh, well, Wisconsin in the winter. However, the one I have under lights did put out a new top which is now up to the original size = you'd never know I cut off the top. Even has started to put out a flower spike. Guess that means it is healthy and happy.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

December 15, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9359193

My truncata stays indoors under lights but so far has not grown much. Am I not watering them enough?
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2012
9:01 PM

Post #9359538

I doubt water is the issue. Is the plant healthy, and plump? I have one under lights and it is putting out a bunch of pups right now. Aren't Truncata very slow growing?
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

December 16, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9359739

I am not sure, I have 4 different types but don't know a great deal about them. I would say the other species I have are " plump" but the truncata is hard and not at all plump.

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw   Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw         

gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9359839

I'm sure there are other experts that can help better than I can. Not plump says to me - more water.
plexippus
Chicago Suburbs, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 17, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #9360658

They could use more water but don't go crazy watering them... you don't want to rot them... Just enough to get them a little more filled out. All of my truncatas are very slow growers and do most of their growing when they are outside during the warm months. They seem to slow way down for me this time of year.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America