Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Daily Bird Pics (and conversation) #445

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone and Welcome!
Decided to follow Resin's great suggestion to start a new thread so here it is.

We came from here:

Please don't forget to check the old threads periodically as they're packed full of wonderful bird pics and lots of great conversation.

1) Black-capped Chickadee taking in the view
2) Mallards preening on a sand bar
3) Mr. and Mrs House Finch
4) Ruby-throated HB thoroughly enjoying some sugar water

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Great start, thanks!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you n.a.n. for the great new thread. Sweet, sweet Chickadees, love the ducks. Mr & Mrs. Housefinches look pretty contented. And the Hummingbird does seems to enjoy the nectar. I've been watching this Cardinal Juvie at the feeder. First Papa brought it here and fed it. When Momma took over the rearing however, she taught it to feed itself. She used "tough love" when the baby flutter its wings to be fed. She gently brushes the Juvie as if to coach it to get the food itself. After each time, she flew off, the Juvie will return and figured out "Ah hah! I can do this!" and it has been eating without being helped along. And by the look of the juvie cardinal. It's quite happy.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Nice start n.a.n!!

Margaret, very nice shots on the last thread!!

I wish I had gotten photos, but last week on several mornings while the DH and I were sitting on the back porch talking and having our coffee, I spotted Kinglets up in our maple tree!! I was able to determine which of course, but easy to ID a Kinglet once you have seen them due to their size!

Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

I really enjoyed seeing all the wonderful photos in the last volume-great job all!

Thanks for the great new start Nuts. Your pictures are adorable.

Lily, your little cardinal is a cutie.

Here's a few photos-
Double-crested Cormorants up high on a tree where the sun feels sooo good.
A couple molting Crows enjoying the peanut feeder.
A Great Egret.
A Lesser Goldfinch.
A Eurasian Collared Dove.

Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks...Resin & Kim & nanny & duc!!!

Kim - Love your Cardinal juvie (and the story about Mom & Dad's teaching methods)! It's not really all that different than our own when you think about it.

Ooh, nanny, It would be awesome if you could get some pics of the Kinglets!

Duc, your pics are super! The Crows are looking quite handsome, even though they're molting and I love the Lesser Goldfinch (and the Cormorants and Egret and Dove)!

I'm just beginning to see baby Goldfinches flying around begging for food. No pictures so far (they never sit still).

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Nice start nuts. I like your hummer, I still have a few (at least two, aggrevating each other) here. I'm still watching for Goldfinches to show up. Got the Nyjer (sp?) out ready for them.

Man that last thread was cooking. Lots of great pics, and I really enjoyed the conversations we have.

Yep, Lily, I've enjoyed watching mom/daddy wean their babies. I have one particularly cool pic, I'll try to find it

Hey, duc, I really like the Collared Dove - don't see 'em around here.

Typing is no problem anymore.

Bye, Hack

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Well, I was able to use and monopod to take a few pics.

1- I can't ever remember seeing one Brown-headed Nuthatch at the bird bath, let alone two.

2- Chickadee with a mouth full of sunflower seed.

3- Tufted titmouse on the new big feeder. It's 1/2 full of Black Oil Sunflower seed.

4- Here's where I usually see my Brown-headed Nuthatches - eating peanuts.

Thumbnail by TheHackster Thumbnail by TheHackster Thumbnail by TheHackster Thumbnail by TheHackster
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Nan, it's nice to have spotted a Kinglet. n.a.n. and Hack, yes it's fascinating that birds' behavior isn't far different than human's. There are times, human can learn from birds especially when come to raising kids. ^_^
Duc, love the various birds you do get. I don't get to see the E.C. Dove here only the Mourning Doves stay here year round. Hack, how neat you get to see the Brown headed Nuthatches let along having them using the bird bath.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Hack!
Wow, you're coming right along with that shoulder. Very cute shot of the pair of Brown-headed Nuthatches in your birdbath! Love your Chickadee and the other Nuthatch on the peanut feeder and that little Tufted Titmouse is adorable the way it climbs up "underneath" the perch.

Kim, I agree about learning from the birds. They're all "business". Their lives depend on it.

I'm pretty excited...I just saw a "Northern Flicker" flying back-and-forth from one of the suet feeders to our huge Ash tree!! They don't hang around here all the time and it's a rarity to see them. I don't know if it will stay very long as we already have three varieties of Woodpeckers and the Red-bellies can get a little territorial. Of course I didn't have a camera handy, but I'll keep watching. Yippee...I always feel like a little kid when a new or infrequent bird shows up!!

Klamath River, CA

www.vimeo.com/15184546 this is an interesting video that was sent to me.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Thanks for sharing that incredible video, Adel.It's amazing, how quick, it was able to use the bill.
n.a.n. thanks for the new thread, and the link to the lobelia seeds.
Nice shots everyone.

Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

Great shots everyone.

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Yeah, nuts, I'm having a nice recovery - no pain.

Wow, great video, adel. I'm real happy for Beauty, but would love to drag the beast who shot her into a court of law!

Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Hack, I have never seen a nuthatch near a birdbath, that's awesome! Glad you were able to take photos.

Adel, that video has really been popular on the internet and I'm glad to see so many people rare eally upset as to what happened to the eagle.

Here's a young red-shouldered hawk and a couple black-crowned night herons.

Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Adel - Thank you for sharing that amazing video! I watched it with mixed feelings as I'm sure most people do. It warmed my heart to see the efforts that went into giving this beautiful bird a second chance...but...it also tore at my emotions as it reminded me how many cruel people there are in this world.

I found myself wondering if there are any recent updates to the story, but I'd probably just rather hope that it had a happy ending.

You're Welcome, burn! I thought the Lobelia seeds info was kind of fascinating. I'll probably just let the seeds drop and see what happens, but it's good to know about since the Hummers seemed to love it.

Duc, your Hawk shot is incredible and I just love the Heron pics!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Fantastic pics and stories here! I need to go check the previous thread!

n.a.n. - Great start! Wonderful, detailed shot of that Chickadee! Those finches are sure well-fed. and Hummer is so cute. Sure hope you get a shot of the Flicker, but it is so cool just to see one.

Kim - Enjoyed the Cardinal images and the story on feeding. I watched a similar interaction with a Dad and Mom grackle. Dad was a pushover, but Mom made the little one fend for itself and fussed at Dad. Funny to watch.

Duc - Sweet photos! Love the one of the goldfinch - what a cute expression. Glad you are helping out those crows. I'm sure it takes a lot of energy to put on a new "coat." Awesome photo of that screeching hawk. Very cool! Nice to see the herons, too.

Hack, Nuthatches are so cool to see. We don't see them around here.

Adel, Thanks for that video. Glad there are so many more caring people in this world than careless ones.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I was out in a boat between Galveston, TX's North and South Jetties last weekend and we spotted a pair of Magnificent Frigatebirds. It is always quite a thrill to watch these birds for me. I don't see them that often.

I just held the button down on my camera. LOL. Got probably a hundred images and have thrown most away since it was really too far away. But, I did keep this series and cropped them down to show the behavior.

I could tell this female Frigatebird had something in her mouth, but I couldn't tell what, so I just took a lot of photos. It turns out that it was a stick, I think. She was flying along with it and looking below. She kept repositioning it in her beak so that she had it right at the edge. Then she dropped it and plunged down and caught it before it hit the water. Then she dropped it again and let it hit the water while she stuck her head pretty far down in the water where the stick (or metal rod?) went in. She didn't come back up with anything this time. I still don't know why she was doing this, but I have a few possible ideas.

One thought I had was she was just practicing grabbing food that other birds have dropped. Frigatebirds are thieves and will annoy other birds (gulls, pelicans, terns, etc.) until they drop their food and then grab it for themselves.

Another thought was that possibly she was using it as a lure to get fish to come to the surface and investigate the splashing stick so she could grab them up for dinner.

Has anyone else noticed this type of behavior and have a clue as to what she is doing.

This message was edited Sep 8, 2012 11:02 AM

Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Adel, thank you for sharing such news. Like many I shared that very same sentiment how could some one be so careless? But I'm glad to learn that there are greater number of people that are caring and those that make our world a better place. Duc, great pics. of the Black-crowned Night Heron. Never have I seen one that close. The detail on your photos are fantastic. Patti, the Frigatebird and its behavior is really interesting. Great photos!

I was just wishing upon the stars to see some Goldfinches return; here they're. A pair arrived briefly at the feeder. Got their share of seeds (ignored the suet completely), and took off on their way. I really enjoyed their visit.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Patti! Oh I so love your Magnificent Frigatebirds! Fantastic shots, even as far away as they were. Fascinating story about the stick as well.

Kim, a big Congrats on your Goldfinches...yay!!! Hope they stick around. Your pics are very cute!

This little RT Hummer spent quite a while preening and fluffing and preening and fluffing and.... She would periodically chase off any "perceived intruders" then go right back to her preening ritual.

The dead branch is actually one I attached last year to the shepherd's hook outside our kitchen window where a hummer feeder hangs. They absolutely love that branch and it gives us extra time to watch them.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Patti, great photos of the frigatebird. I would think it's a little late in the season for nesting material but who knows?

Kim, congrats on your sweet goldfinches-so cute!

Nuts, love your little hummer photos. I have branches attaches to the deck railing in several places and all the birds love sitting on them.

Here's a pair of acorn woodpeckers, a terrible photo but the only time I've ever photographed a juvie white-breasted nuthatch, a shy mallard and..look closely at this juvie red-shouldered hawk photo-My hummers were buzzing it and it just sat there!!

Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

It's beyond me, to see something as small as a hummingbird, challenging something so much bigger than they are. Especially a bird of prey, But the Hawk must really be not interested with just a bite of food, that they would provide. Love the shots of the Herons.
Congratulation on getting the photo of the juvie Nuthatch, Duc. And great catch on the Acorn WP.

Love the little Hummer preening, n.a.n.

Happy, the goldfinches are coming back for you, Lily.

That's an interesting behavior with the Frigatebird, nicely done on the shots,

I haven't taken much pictures lately. The images are from Aug.
1. a pair of juvenile Crow
2.Eastern Kingbird
3. RT hummingbird

Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks, all. I asked a birding expert about that MagFrig behavior and she suggested that it might be one of my thoughts (practicing or using as a tool) or possibly she was just playing the "drop the stick and catch it" game. I guess birds take some time off to play too. LOL.

Kim, Glad you got to see those goldfinches and share some pics with us!

n.a.n., Oh, what absolutely adorable images of that hummer! I need to do that! I had a stick on my regular feeder, but not on my shepherd's hook.

Duc, Wonderful photos! I love the one of the hummers hovering around the hawk. That always amazes me too. I have several of a Mockingbird biting a Harris's Hawk and slamming into him. I don't know why the hawks put up with it, but that Mocker didn't like the hawk near her/his nest. The Acorn WP shot is awesome!

Burn, Cute to see those youngsters. And that hummer shot is so nice with the beautiful flowers!

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks duc, burn and Patti!

Duc, that's an awesome shot of the Acorn Woodpeckers! Your juvie Nuthatch is a real cutie and I love the shy Mallard! The pic with the hummers "buzzing" the hawk is amazing! The hawk couldn't care less...they may as well be gnats!

Burn, great shot of the juvie Crows! Love the Kingbird pic! I sure wish we had some...they're beautiful birds. The field guides show them in our area, but I've never seen any around here. Great catch of the little hummer! Such a pretty shot with the Fuchsia blooms.

Patti, I got the idea for the "branch" because the hummers seem to enjoy the dead branches of our trees even more than the live ones. I guess it gives them a better view of the surroundings.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

For anyone in NJ, the state has its first Crested Caracara: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sgalick/7966980354/in/photostream

Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Burn, great pics of your birds. The hummers sure love those fuchsias-if only I had some shade to grow them here.

Resin, that's amazing news about the caracara! Wonder if it was found close to her home?

Here's a pretty female brewer's blackbird and a red-winged blackbird.

This message was edited Sep 11, 2012 7:51 PM

This message was edited Sep 11, 2012 7:51 PM

Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow, Thanks for that link on the Crested Caracara, Resin!

Duc, the detail on those two pics is amazing!

PERTH, Australia

Thanks for the new thread, nuts. Lovely shots, everyone. Duc, I love that Red-tailed Hawk and Patti, your shots of the Frigatebird are brilliant. What a sight that must have been.

A few shots of a Rainbow Lorikeet outside its nesting hollow.

Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK
Lakeview, OH

Went out this afternoon to fill up the single feeders and the hummers have been fighting over them, here are a couple pics that I was lucky enough to get, you can see just how chubby they are getting to go south. I will miss them but I know that they will be back next spring.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905 Thumbnail by teddy_8905
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Duc, Incredible feather detail on those shots.

Margaret, Thanks. I loved seeing those beautiful Rainbow Lorikeet birds. Nothing like that around here. ^_^

Teddy_8905, Cool hummer shots! They are quite chubby.

Lakeview, OH

I took a red solo cup and cut the bottom out of it, put some red nectar in it and set it outside, I had to go to work so asked hubby to check every once in a while to see if anything was eating it, he saw a hummer eating out of it. He went to get the camera and like so many times he was a little too slow, but tomorrow I will be able to sit out and see if I can get a picture of it. I volunteered to work today, not one of my best moves lol! But it helps them out and may put a feather in my cap.

Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Oh Margaret, I love your photos of the rainbow lorikeet. Such brilliant colors.

Teddy, loved your hummer photos too. Glad the hummer was using the cup too.

Here's a young California quail just getting the adult feather colors.
We found about 70 barn swallows sitting on the power lines yesterday.
And a bewick's wren.

Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

You're Welcome, Margaret! Oh my, Thank you soooo much for sharing that gorgeous Rainbow Lorikeet! What a treat.

Teddy, your hummer's a cutie!

Duc, what a wonderful assortment of birds! I'm particularly fond of Swallows of all types.

I'm starting to see some "just-out-of-the-nest" Cardinals. They're so cute!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

We had a very cute pair of Red-breasted Nuthatches over the weekend!! I have not seen them yet today so not sure if they have left or not. I sure wish they would stay!! lol

Carolina Chickadee on the hummer feeder and a juvie male Ruby-throated Hummingbird.

Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Wow, Margaret those Rainbow Lorakeets are so colorful and beautiful! Duc I love those Swallows and Wren and especially the Ca. quail. Oh Nan, I had a rare visit from the Red-breasted Nuthatch last week to the grain feeder. I spoke with a lady from a seasoned bird watchers group over the weekend whose said that it very early to find those Nuthatches here before December. Love your Chickadee and the young R.T hummer.

Great Blue Heron; it just went for a fish, came up for air and shook off the water from its feather.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Nanny, the RB nuthatches are hear right now too. They are right on time for other sightings. Still reported up in the Chicago area, so I'm betting you have them around there. Unlike the White Breasted nuthatches at my house, these seem to like to drink and bathe from the stream. So keep an eye on your water hole.

Palm Warbler

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Speaking of Warbler, Marna. I think I saw a yellow rump warbler the other day. It didn't hang around too long for a photo op. though.

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Excellent photos everyone. Sort of slim pickings around here. I am anxiously waiting for the arrival of the wintering Bald Eagles and other waterfowl.The Osprey and Ruby-throated Hummingbirds have since departed. I do make an occasional visit to Bombay Hook NWR but nothing unusual to note. Many of the birds have lost their breeding plumage and are a little more difficult (for me) to properly identify.

1. Double-crested Cormorant
2. Great Egret
3. Semipalmated Plover and Greater Yellowlegs
4. Laughing Gull
5. Great Egret - Sometimes I prefer a non-closeup image.

Thumbnail by linthicum Thumbnail by linthicum Thumbnail by linthicum Thumbnail by linthicum Thumbnail by linthicum
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Super pics, nanny! We haven't seen any RB Nuthatches yet this year, although one year we had them all Spring. Your little Chickadee is cute. Do your Chickadees and Goldfinches like to drink from the ant moat on your Hummzinger? Ours love that moat so I make sure to keep it full of fresh water. That little Hummer is a cutie.

Kim, how lucky you are to see those beautiful GB Herons right on your lake! We have them near by and sometimes they fly over our house. Isn't it just amazing how they look almost prehistoric when they're flying?

Very cute Palm Warbler, Marna! By-the-way, I really enjoyed the reprint of your hummer article!

Linth, what amazing shots! The Laughing Gull in flight is awsome and I really like the Cormorant on it's own "little island". The contrast between the Egret and the greenish water is also cool.

Well, the weather is definitely starting to say, "Autumn". The cool nights have been fantastic, but we're starting to lose some of our Hummers so it's a tradeoff. We've had more hummers for the last month or so than we've ever had...they were everywhere. In the last few days they've thinned out. I expect we have no more than a couple of weeks and they'll be gone.

Our Goldfinches are starting to change into their winter plumage and the males are looking like mis-matched patchwork quilts. I think people that don't watch the birds and other critters really miss out on many of the subtle changes of nature.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.