Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Bird Watching: Daily Bird Pics (and conversation) #445

Communities > Forums > Bird Watching
bookmark
Forum: Bird WatchingReplies: 102, Views: 1,443
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9264805

Hi everyone and Welcome!
Decided to follow Resin's great suggestion to start a new thread so here it is.

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1275556/

Please don't forget to check the old threads periodically as they're packed full of wonderful bird pics and lots of great conversation.

1) Black-capped Chickadee taking in the view
2) Mallards preening on a sand bar
3) Mr. and Mrs House Finch
4) Ruby-throated HB thoroughly enjoying some sugar water

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9264989

Great start, thanks!

Resin

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 4, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9265106

Thank you n.a.n. for the great new thread. Sweet, sweet Chickadees, love the ducks. Mr & Mrs. Housefinches look pretty contented. And the Hummingbird does seems to enjoy the nectar. I've been watching this Cardinal Juvie at the feeder. First Papa brought it here and fed it. When Momma took over the rearing however, she taught it to feed itself. She used "tough love" when the baby flutter its wings to be fed. She gently brushes the Juvie as if to coach it to get the food itself. After each time, she flew off, the Juvie will return and figured out "Ah hah! I can do this!" and it has been eating without being helped along. And by the look of the juvie cardinal. It's quite happy.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love         

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9265575

Nice start n.a.n!!

Margaret, very nice shots on the last thread!!

I wish I had gotten photos, but last week on several mornings while the DH and I were sitting on the back porch talking and having our coffee, I spotted Kinglets up in our maple tree!! I was able to determine which of course, but easy to ID a Kinglet once you have seen them due to their size!
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 5, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9265649

I really enjoyed seeing all the wonderful photos in the last volume-great job all!

Thanks for the great new start Nuts. Your pictures are adorable.

Lily, your little cardinal is a cutie.

Here's a few photos-
Double-crested Cormorants up high on a tree where the sun feels sooo good.
A couple molting Crows enjoying the peanut feeder.
A Great Egret.
A Lesser Goldfinch.
A Eurasian Collared Dove.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #9265871

Thanks...Resin & Kim & nanny & duc!!!

Kim - Love your Cardinal juvie (and the story about Mom & Dad's teaching methods)! It's not really all that different than our own when you think about it.

Ooh, nanny, It would be awesome if you could get some pics of the Kinglets!

Duc, your pics are super! The Crows are looking quite handsome, even though they're molting and I love the Lesser Goldfinch (and the Cormorants and Egret and Dove)!

I'm just beginning to see baby Goldfinches flying around begging for food. No pictures so far (they never sit still).

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9266072

Nice start nuts. I like your hummer, I still have a few (at least two, aggrevating each other) here. I'm still watching for Goldfinches to show up. Got the Nyjer (sp?) out ready for them.

Man that last thread was cooking. Lots of great pics, and I really enjoyed the conversations we have.

Yep, Lily, I've enjoyed watching mom/daddy wean their babies. I have one particularly cool pic, I'll try to find it

Hey, duc, I really like the Collared Dove - don't see 'em around here.

Typing is no problem anymore.

Bye, Hack

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9266527

Well, I was able to use and monopod to take a few pics.

1- I can't ever remember seeing one Brown-headed Nuthatch at the bird bath, let alone two.

2- Chickadee with a mouth full of sunflower seed.

3- Tufted titmouse on the new big feeder. It's 1/2 full of Black Oil Sunflower seed.

4- Here's where I usually see my Brown-headed Nuthatches - eating peanuts.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9266746

Nan, it's nice to have spotted a Kinglet. n.a.n. and Hack, yes it's fascinating that birds' behavior isn't far different than human's. There are times, human can learn from birds especially when come to raising kids. :-)
Duc, love the various birds you do get. I don't get to see the E.C. Dove here only the Mourning Doves stay here year round. Hack, how neat you get to see the Brown headed Nuthatches let along having them using the bird bath.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9267182

Thanks, Hack!
Wow, you're coming right along with that shoulder. Very cute shot of the pair of Brown-headed Nuthatches in your birdbath! Love your Chickadee and the other Nuthatch on the peanut feeder and that little Tufted Titmouse is adorable the way it climbs up "underneath" the perch.

Kim, I agree about learning from the birds. They're all "business". Their lives depend on it.

I'm pretty excited...I just saw a "Northern Flicker" flying back-and-forth from one of the suet feeders to our huge Ash tree!! They don't hang around here all the time and it's a rarity to see them. I don't know if it will stay very long as we already have three varieties of Woodpeckers and the Red-bellies can get a little territorial. Of course I didn't have a camera handy, but I'll keep watching. Yippee...I always feel like a little kid when a new or infrequent bird shows up!!
adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

September 6, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9267389

http://www.vimeo.com/15184546 this is an interesting video that was sent to me.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

September 6, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9267471

Thanks for sharing that incredible video, Adel.It's amazing, how quick, it was able to use the bill.
n.a.n. thanks for the new thread, and the link to the lobelia seeds.
Nice shots everyone.

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9267508

Great shots everyone.

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2012
11:17 PM

Post #9267674

Yeah, nuts, I'm having a nice recovery - no pain.

Wow, great video, adel. I'm real happy for Beauty, but would love to drag the beast who shot her into a court of law!

Hack
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9268112

Hack, I have never seen a nuthatch near a birdbath, that's awesome! Glad you were able to take photos.

Adel, that video has really been popular on the internet and I'm glad to see so many people rare eally upset as to what happened to the eagle.

Here's a young red-shouldered hawk and a couple black-crowned night herons.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln      

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9268834

Adel - Thank you for sharing that amazing video! I watched it with mixed feelings as I'm sure most people do. It warmed my heart to see the efforts that went into giving this beautiful bird a second chance...but...it also tore at my emotions as it reminded me how many cruel people there are in this world.

I found myself wondering if there are any recent updates to the story, but I'd probably just rather hope that it had a happy ending.

You're Welcome, burn! I thought the Lobelia seeds info was kind of fascinating. I'll probably just let the seeds drop and see what happens, but it's good to know about since the Hummers seemed to love it.

Duc, your Hawk shot is incredible and I just love the Heron pics!

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 8, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9268887

Fantastic pics and stories here! I need to go check the previous thread!

n.a.n. - Great start! Wonderful, detailed shot of that Chickadee! Those finches are sure well-fed. and Hummer is so cute. Sure hope you get a shot of the Flicker, but it is so cool just to see one.

Kim - Enjoyed the Cardinal images and the story on feeding. I watched a similar interaction with a Dad and Mom grackle. Dad was a pushover, but Mom made the little one fend for itself and fussed at Dad. Funny to watch.

Duc - Sweet photos! Love the one of the goldfinch - what a cute expression. Glad you are helping out those crows. I'm sure it takes a lot of energy to put on a new "coat." Awesome photo of that screeching hawk. Very cool! Nice to see the herons, too.

Hack, Nuthatches are so cool to see. We don't see them around here.

Adel, Thanks for that video. Glad there are so many more caring people in this world than careless ones.

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 8, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9268893

I was out in a boat between Galveston, TX's North and South Jetties last weekend and we spotted a pair of Magnificent Frigatebirds. It is always quite a thrill to watch these birds for me. I don't see them that often.

I just held the button down on my camera. LOL. Got probably a hundred images and have thrown most away since it was really too far away. But, I did keep this series and cropped them down to show the behavior.

I could tell this female Frigatebird had something in her mouth, but I couldn't tell what, so I just took a lot of photos. It turns out that it was a stick, I think. She was flying along with it and looking below. She kept repositioning it in her beak so that she had it right at the edge. Then she dropped it and plunged down and caught it before it hit the water. Then she dropped it again and let it hit the water while she stuck her head pretty far down in the water where the stick (or metal rod?) went in. She didn't come back up with anything this time. I still don't know why she was doing this, but I have a few possible ideas.

One thought I had was she was just practicing grabbing food that other birds have dropped. Frigatebirds are thieves and will annoy other birds (gulls, pelicans, terns, etc.) until they drop their food and then grab it for themselves.

Another thought was that possibly she was using it as a lure to get fish to come to the surface and investigate the splashing stick so she could grab them up for dinner.

Has anyone else noticed this type of behavior and have a clue as to what she is doing.

Patti

This message was edited Sep 8, 2012 11:02 AM

Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9269045

Adel, thank you for sharing such news. Like many I shared that very same sentiment how could some one be so careless? But I'm glad to learn that there are greater number of people that are caring and those that make our world a better place. Duc, great pics. of the Black-crowned Night Heron. Never have I seen one that close. The detail on your photos are fantastic. Patti, the Frigatebird and its behavior is really interesting. Great photos!

I was just wishing upon the stars to see some Goldfinches return; here they're. A pair arrived briefly at the feeder. Got their share of seeds (ignored the suet completely), and took off on their way. I really enjoyed their visit.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9269308

Thumbnail by Lily_love

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9269820

Thanks, Patti! Oh I so love your Magnificent Frigatebirds! Fantastic shots, even as far away as they were. Fascinating story about the stick as well.

Kim, a big Congrats on your Goldfinches...yay!!! Hope they stick around. Your pics are very cute!

This little RT Hummer spent quite a while preening and fluffing and preening and fluffing and... She would periodically chase off any "perceived intruders" then go right back to her preening ritual.

The dead branch is actually one I attached last year to the shepherd's hook outside our kitchen window where a hummer feeder hangs. They absolutely love that branch and it gives us extra time to watch them.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature      

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 9, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9269957

Patti, great photos of the frigatebird. I would think it's a little late in the season for nesting material but who knows?

Kim, congrats on your sweet goldfinches-so cute!

Nuts, love your little hummer photos. I have branches attaches to the deck railing in several places and all the birds love sitting on them.

Here's a pair of acorn woodpeckers, a terrible photo but the only time I've ever photographed a juvie white-breasted nuthatch, a shy mallard and..look closely at this juvie red-shouldered hawk photo-My hummers were buzzing it and it just sat there!!

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

September 9, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9270020

It's beyond me, to see something as small as a hummingbird, challenging something so much bigger than they are. Especially a bird of prey, But the Hawk must really be not interested with just a bite of food, that they would provide. Love the shots of the Herons.
Congratulation on getting the photo of the juvie Nuthatch, Duc. And great catch on the Acorn WP.

Love the little Hummer preening, n.a.n.

Happy, the goldfinches are coming back for you, Lily.

That's an interesting behavior with the Frigatebird, nicely done on the shots,
Patti.

I haven't taken much pictures lately. The images are from Aug.
1. a pair of juvenile Crow
2.Eastern Kingbird
3. RT hummingbird

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007      

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 9, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9270111

Thanks, all. I asked a birding expert about that MagFrig behavior and she suggested that it might be one of my thoughts (practicing or using as a tool) or possibly she was just playing the "drop the stick and catch it" game. I guess birds take some time off to play too. LOL.

Kim, Glad you got to see those goldfinches and share some pics with us!

n.a.n., Oh, what absolutely adorable images of that hummer! I need to do that! I had a stick on my regular feeder, but not on my shepherd's hook.

Duc, Wonderful photos! I love the one of the hummers hovering around the hawk. That always amazes me too. I have several of a Mockingbird biting a Harris's Hawk and slamming into him. I don't know why the hawks put up with it, but that Mocker didn't like the hawk near her/his nest. The Acorn WP shot is awesome!

Burn, Cute to see those youngsters. And that hummer shot is so nice with the beautiful flowers!

Patti
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9270311

Thanks duc, burn and Patti!

Duc, that's an awesome shot of the Acorn Woodpeckers! Your juvie Nuthatch is a real cutie and I love the shy Mallard! The pic with the hummers "buzzing" the hawk is amazing! The hawk couldn't care less...they may as well be gnats!

Burn, great shot of the juvie Crows! Love the Kingbird pic! I sure wish we had some...they're beautiful birds. The field guides show them in our area, but I've never seen any around here. Great catch of the little hummer! Such a pretty shot with the Fuchsia blooms.

Patti, I got the idea for the "branch" because the hummers seem to enjoy the dead branches of our trees even more than the live ones. I guess it gives them a better view of the surroundings.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

September 11, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #9271947

For anyone in NJ, the state has its first Crested Caracara: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sgalick/7966980354/in/photostream

Resin
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 11, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #9272064

Burn, great pics of your birds. The hummers sure love those fuchsias-if only I had some shade to grow them here.

Resin, that's amazing news about the caracara! Wonder if it was found close to her home?

Here's a pretty female brewer's blackbird and a red-winged blackbird.

This message was edited Sep 11, 2012 7:51 PM

This message was edited Sep 11, 2012 7:51 PM

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln         

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2012
12:08 PM

Post #9274129

Wow, Thanks for that link on the Crested Caracara, Resin!

Duc, the detail on those two pics is amazing!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

September 14, 2012
12:32 AM

Post #9274685

Thanks for the new thread, nuts. Lovely shots, everyone. Duc, I love that Red-tailed Hawk and Patti, your shots of the Frigatebird are brilliant. What a sight that must have been.

A few shots of a Rainbow Lorikeet outside its nesting hollow.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK      

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

September 14, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9274989

Went out this afternoon to fill up the single feeders and the hummers have been fighting over them, here are a couple pics that I was lucky enough to get, you can see just how chubby they are getting to go south. I will miss them but I know that they will be back next spring.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905   Thumbnail by teddy_8905         

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 14, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #9275075

Duc, Incredible feather detail on those shots.

Margaret, Thanks. I loved seeing those beautiful Rainbow Lorikeet birds. Nothing like that around here. :-)

Teddy_8905, Cool hummer shots! They are quite chubby.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

September 15, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9275838

I took a red solo cup and cut the bottom out of it, put some red nectar in it and set it outside, I had to go to work so asked hubby to check every once in a while to see if anything was eating it, he saw a hummer eating out of it. He went to get the camera and like so many times he was a little too slow, but tomorrow I will be able to sit out and see if I can get a picture of it. I volunteered to work today, not one of my best moves lol! But it helps them out and may put a feather in my cap.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 15, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9275844

Oh Margaret, I love your photos of the rainbow lorikeet. Such brilliant colors.

Teddy, loved your hummer photos too. Glad the hummer was using the cup too.

Here's a young California quail just getting the adult feather colors.
We found about 70 barn swallows sitting on the power lines yesterday.
And a bewick's wren.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9275950

You're Welcome, Margaret! Oh my, Thank you soooo much for sharing that gorgeous Rainbow Lorikeet! What a treat.

Teddy, your hummer's a cutie!

Duc, what a wonderful assortment of birds! I'm particularly fond of Swallows of all types.

I'm starting to see some "just-out-of-the-nest" Cardinals. They're so cute!

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 17, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9277657

We had a very cute pair of Red-breasted Nuthatches over the weekend!! I have not seen them yet today so not sure if they have left or not. I sure wish they would stay!! lol

Carolina Chickadee on the hummer feeder and a juvie male Ruby-throated Hummingbird.

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 17, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9277666

Wow, Margaret those Rainbow Lorakeets are so colorful and beautiful! Duc I love those Swallows and Wren and especially the Ca. quail. Oh Nan, I had a rare visit from the Red-breasted Nuthatch last week to the grain feeder. I spoke with a lady from a seasoned bird watchers group over the weekend whose said that it very early to find those Nuthatches here before December. Love your Chickadee and the young R.T hummer.

Great Blue Heron; it just went for a fish, came up for air and shook off the water from its feather.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love         

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9277677

Nanny, the RB nuthatches are hear right now too. They are right on time for other sightings. Still reported up in the Chicago area, so I'm betting you have them around there. Unlike the White Breasted nuthatches at my house, these seem to like to drink and bathe from the stream. So keep an eye on your water hole.

Palm Warbler

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 17, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9277926

Speaking of Warbler, Marna. I think I saw a yellow rump warbler the other day. It didn't hang around too long for a photo op. though.
linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9279134

Excellent photos everyone. Sort of slim pickings around here. I am anxiously waiting for the arrival of the wintering Bald Eagles and other waterfowl.The Osprey and Ruby-throated Hummingbirds have since departed. I do make an occasional visit to Bombay Hook NWR but nothing unusual to note. Many of the birds have lost their breeding plumage and are a little more difficult (for me) to properly identify.

1. Double-crested Cormorant
2. Great Egret
3. Semipalmated Plover and Greater Yellowlegs
4. Laughing Gull
5. Great Egret - Sometimes I prefer a non-closeup image.

Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9279287

Super pics, nanny! We haven't seen any RB Nuthatches yet this year, although one year we had them all Spring. Your little Chickadee is cute. Do your Chickadees and Goldfinches like to drink from the ant moat on your Hummzinger? Ours love that moat so I make sure to keep it full of fresh water. That little Hummer is a cutie.

Kim, how lucky you are to see those beautiful GB Herons right on your lake! We have them near by and sometimes they fly over our house. Isn't it just amazing how they look almost prehistoric when they're flying?

Very cute Palm Warbler, Marna! By-the-way, I really enjoyed the reprint of your hummer article!

Linth, what amazing shots! The Laughing Gull in flight is awsome and I really like the Cormorant on it's own "little island". The contrast between the Egret and the greenish water is also cool.

Well, the weather is definitely starting to say, "Autumn". The cool nights have been fantastic, but we're starting to lose some of our Hummers so it's a tradeoff. We've had more hummers for the last month or so than we've ever had...they were everywhere. In the last few days they've thinned out. I expect we have no more than a couple of weeks and they'll be gone.

Our Goldfinches are starting to change into their winter plumage and the males are looking like mis-matched patchwork quilts. I think people that don't watch the birds and other critters really miss out on many of the subtle changes of nature.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 18, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9279293

Linth, love the photos of the assorted birds, but especially enjoyed the quote by Robert Brault. I'm with n.a.n. Love that photo of the cormorrant on its own "little island".

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 18, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9279337

Oh yes the chickadees love to drink from the moat on the Hummzinger! Have never had the finches do it.

Thumbnail by nanny_56

linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9279527

Here are a few more recent photo encounters ...

1. Great Egret
2. Great Egret
3. Eastern Towhee
4. Gray Catbird
5. Great Blue Heron

Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum

pestee42
Molino, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 19, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9280207

Hi all, hope you don't mind me chiming in.
My husband saw a bald eagle Monday right down the road from us. That is a rare site around here in fact I have only seen one here in my life. Hopefully that means their range is expanding? Anyway I'm going to keep an eye out for it.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #9280293

pestee42 wrote:Hi all, hope you don't mind me chiming in.
My husband saw a bald eagle Monday right down the road from us. That is a rare site around here in fact I have only seen one here in my life. Hopefully that means their range is expanding? Anyway I'm going to keep an eye out for it.

Not at all, you're welcome! Good one on the Bald Eagle, yes, they're still expanding their range after the bad times they went through last century.

Resin
linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9280481

pestee42, I have provided a link that will provide you with a Bald Eagle Nest locator for the state of Florida. Florida has the most active Bald Eagle nests of any of the lower 48 states. A 2011 survey showed that Florida has more than 1,400 active nests. As the demand for new nesting sites increases, their territory is bound to expand. That is a welcome sight. There are a few Bald Eagle nests in Escambia County. I have never seen a Bald Eagle from my property but I can drive 60 miles up the road and see 100+ during their wintering season. It can be worth the ride to visit a site where they are known to frequent. Another 2 months and I will be "up the road" every week for at least 10 weeks just to photograph Bald Eagles. Hope you see them more frequently in the future.

[HYPERLINK@public.myfwc.com]
pestee42
Molino, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 20, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9281330

linthicum, I can't thank you enough for this site. I had no idea there were nests so close. The DH and I will be exploring this for sure. I'm so excited! I will check out the site tonight. I'm at work now and break is over. Thanks again!
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

September 22, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9283349

Love your little Nuthatch, Nanny. I had one visit my yard a few years ago, and found out, they were very friendly little bird. I too wish to see some again this fall.
Linth excellent photos of the shore birds.
Margaret, I can't get enough of your colorful birds, I'd love to be surrounded by them.
Duc, lovely photos of the Brewers Blackbird.
Lily it's wonderful that you can see the GBH so close by.
I'm still watching for Warblers Mrs-Ed, I saw a Kinglet yesterday. Couldn't tell if it was the Golden crown or Ruby. Camera wasn't with me at the time.:(

I'm trying to train this Blue Jay to accept peanuts from my hand. He come within a foot of me and grab one on the plate in front of me. And the Chickadees are very friendly too.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9283369

Burn, Good luck with the Blue Jay...reminds me of another member we used to have here. I have always wanted to try it myself!
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

September 22, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9283379

Thanks Nanny, was the member's name Trois? I remember some of his photos he took.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9284320

Yes!!! That is him...such a great guy and I was so thrilled to find someone that loved the Blue Jays like I did!!

Actually got a few warblers over the last few days!!

A Tennessee, an American Redstart(barely!) and a Bad shot of a Black-throated Green Warbler thru the dirty sliding door! Also a hummer at the Phlox.

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   

2dCousinDave
Stafford County, VA

September 23, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9284332

linthicum wrote:... Another 2 months and I will be "up the road" every week for at least 10 weeks just to photograph Bald Eagles...

Linth I am going to make a special effort this Winter to be up there the same time as you are, so I can finally meet you.

This message was edited Sep 24, 2012 12:02 AM
2dCousinDave
Stafford County, VA

September 23, 2012
9:23 PM

Post #9284506

I have seven bluebirds that come to the feeder every morning and evening and a few other birds that frequently show up also, including a couple of cardinals. It is not unusual to see the female cardinal feeding alongside the bluebirds. Tonight, just before dark I was surprised to see a fledgling cardinal as well. It has turned very Fall-like here and it seems very late in the season. All the other birds have finished nesting for the year, most of them finished more than a month ago.

Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave   Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave   Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave   Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave   Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 24, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9284888

It's amazing how much goes on in just a few days on this thread when you haven't had time to visit!

Cute hummers, nanny, on the Hummzinger and Phlox! Congrats on the Warblers!

Linth, fabulous pics of the Egrets, Towhee, Catbird and GB Heron, but the first (black & white) Egret is totally awesome!!

Welcome, pestee42! Congrats on your Bald Eagle sighting! How lucky you are...that's really special!!

You're so right, Resin. The Bald Eagles are definitely expanding their range and it's so wonderful! Many years ago, when I lived in very Northern California, there was a Bald eagle family that used to sit in the trees and watch everybody as we rigged our sailboats to race weekly. It was fun because we could see them right above our heads totally unfazed by us being there.

There are lots of Bald Eagles on the Western edge of Illinois, along the Mississippi River, but it's a many hours drive from home so we've never seen them.

Burn, although all the Nuthatches are friendly, I think the Red-breasted Nuthatches are especially friendly. I once had one land on one of my upside-down suet feeders...while I was filling it!! It just sat there patiently about an inch from my hand looking at me.

Your Blue Jay pics are super! Love your little Chickadee as well. With a little patience, Chickadees have been known to land on people's open hands full of seeds or nuts. I've never tried, but one of these days I will.

Dave, beautiful Cardinal shots! Cardinals can have several broods per year, some of them late. We have juvie Cardinals and Goldfinches all over the yard right now.

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 24, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9285169

Wow, I really got behind. Too many wonderful photos to mention each one but great job everyone!

Here's a pair of Brewer's Blackbirds, a female Red-winged Blackbird, a Northern Flicker, a White-crowned Sparrow that just arrived a few days ago and one of three Yellow Warblers that showed up this morning.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9287810

Dave, I, too, hope we can get to meet each other some time this Fall. I'll get in touch with you once the season starts. I understand that there is some action there already. I usually go on the weekend, or a Tuesday, or Thursday. One prerequisite is a reasonably clear day. I have been following (GPS) one Bald Eagle (Hudson) for a number of years and he left his summer residence in northern Quebec and has already arrived at his wintering grounds on the New York - Pa border, i.e. unless freezing weather ultimately drives him farther south. He is now an adult.

duc, beautiful images, as always.

1. Carolina Chickadee
2. Juvenile Female Peregrine Falcon
3. Common Yellowthroat - Thanks, Resin !
4. Little Blue Heron in Flight
5. Little Blue Heron - Eye to Eye !

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 28, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9289088

Nice pics everyone, kinda slow around here. I have some pics in the cam, but haven't worked them up yet.

Hack

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 28, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9289107

Found a lot of pics on the cards in my cams. Here are four of them

1- These two female House Finches are enjoying the big feeder.

2- Carolina Chickadees are regular visitors.

3- Can't help but admire the look of this Cardinal male - beautiful.

4- I guess I won't be seeing my Ruby-throated Hummers much longer, but I did get one good pic.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9290070

Linth, love your photos, especially that falcon. That "eye to eye" is so cute.

Hack, love your birds too. Nice catch on the hummer. I've tried getting one like that but no luck so far.

The Northern Flickers have arrived to enjoy the berries.
Here's a pair of the flickers with their eyes on the neighbors fruit trees.
While I was taking this third photo of a flicker, one of the Anna's hummingbirds landed just above it. Guess they're not afraid of the big guy.
Here's a Lesser Goldfinch.
And I had to add this one of another Anna's hummingbirds-I'm feeding 22 of them right now and there's never a dull moment.

pestee42
Molino, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9290150

Just wanted to say you all have some nice pictures.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 29, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9290255

This photo was taken on Wednesday...we still had 2 hummers yesterday...but none today.:(

Thumbnail by nanny_56

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

September 29, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9290346

Beautiful birdies, everyone.

This is a female Red-tailed Black Cockatoo. It deeply saddens me to see these birds in the metropolitan area as they've been forced here by habitat destruction in the forest they call home. This one is eating the seeds off a Cape Lilac tree (from South Africa). Even in the metro area they can't find enough native food to thrive.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK         

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9290355

It's sad that there isn't enough food available for those Cocaktoos, well wishes being sent from me, Margaret. Duc, your pics. of the Northern Flickers, male and female deserve to be on "Birds and Blooms". They're so beautiful. Sorry Nan about your hummers that left to migrate South. May the season will fly by and speeds up their return. I'm still seeing them hummers daily down here.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

September 30, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9290682

It's heartbreaking, Kim. Here's another one from this afternoon.

Thumbnail by MargaretK

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2012
9:53 AM

Post #9290947

But at least something that they're learning to exploit non-native plants. Maybe they'll adapt enough to thrive well before long?

Resin
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

September 30, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9291465

I sure hope you're right, Resin.
Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4a)

September 30, 2012
10:19 PM

Post #9291646

The Trumpeter Swans have been late in arriving at Patter Marsh this year. A break in the stormy weather started yesterday and now they are starting to arrive in good numbers.
Iíve been too busy to do much bird photography recently. The nursery business is over for the season, and I finally have some free time.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen   Thumbnail by Grasmussen   Thumbnail by Grasmussen   Thumbnail by Grasmussen   Thumbnail by Grasmussen

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9293406

Beautiful Gary!!

I have a hummer that flew in for today. It is rainy here so I don't think it will be going any where today. Had one on Sunday that I only saw once.

Yay...Bird Watching doesn't require a paid subscription!!! I thought I was going to be out of luck for awhile!! Adding 3 people to our household over the summer has increased our expenses and I thought I was going to be out of luck.

This message was edited Oct 2, 2012 9:09 AM
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

October 2, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9294141

Down the windy ocean this morning I saw a large bird with brown wings when viewed from above. At first I thought it was an osprey. The wingspan looked to be about the same as our birds, but it turned out to be an immature Pacific Gull. First shot, it was being pursued by an Australian Raven,itself a large(ish) bird. Next a top view and then the third as it flew by. Next, a Pied Cormorant, and last, a Silver Gull

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

October 2, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9294144

To finish, a couple of shots of Crested Terns enjoying a spot of fishing.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK         

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2012
10:42 AM

Post #9295758

Nanny, I hope you see more hummers as they come through your area.

Margaret, sorry to hear about the cockatoos, your photos are all so beautiful. You sure find lots of waterfowl.

Gras, love the swans too. They're so beautiful in flight.

Here's one of at least 40 bushtits that came through the garden.
The northern flickers are here every day and really enjoy the berries.
This starling looked so cute sitting out in the open and watching other birds.
Here's a hermit thrush taking off with a berry.
And a warbling vireo waiting for a turn in the birdbath.

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

October 6, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9297877

Duc that the best shot I've seen so far of a Warbling Vireo. I also admire how you got the shots of the flicker, showing it's massive strong bill. Beside the berries, it seem he has been digging for bugs as well.

Hope those Black Cockatoo can make the transition and survive. It would be a shame to loose them.

Gary so good to see your post again.

Blue Jay in the ring, Song sparrow, White-throated sparrow.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 7, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9298490

Neat shots duc and burn!!

I put out a large suet last week to announce that the winter suet station is now open. It wasn't long before this male Hairy Woodpecker showed up!!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 7, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #9298682

Burn, I love that peanut ring with the jay. Your little song sparrow and white-throated sparrows are adorable.

Nanny, glad your wp arrived already, what a great picture. Thanks for reminding me to put suet cakes on the grocery list.

I have had two flickers here but this morning this intergraded flicker arrived.
A lesser goldfinch.
A scrub jay.
And a white-crowned sparrow.

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

October 7, 2012
9:38 PM

Post #9299153

Great shots everyone! Thought you might enjoy this video of Rescued Ducks who had never been in water before this video was shot.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/05/rescued-ducks-encounter-w_n_1943208.html

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 8, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9299521

LOL...not too impressed at first!!
gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

October 9, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9300356

Least Bittern in my Crepe Myrtle early this morning. I hope this one is OK. I have never seen this type of bird in my yard before.

Thumbnail by gardenpom   Thumbnail by gardenpom         

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 9, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9300402

COOL!!

Blue Birds and a Gold Finch enjoying the bird bath.

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56         

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9300840

Pelle, that video was so cute. The poor little babies sure caught a break when the rescue center took them in. Thanks, I love a good ending.

GP, what an awesome bird to find in your yard! Love that second "eye" shot-wow!!

Nanny, your birds are so cute enjoying their baths too.

Here's a scrub jay, a northern flicker up close, a cooper's hawk and a warbling vireo.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 9, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9300997

Great shot of the Vireo duc!!

I had a Cooper's here yesterday afternoon...it chased Gus(dog)!!

Have had lots of Yellow - rumped Warblers the past few days in the yard...just can't get any good photos tho!!

No hummers the last 2 days either. :(
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

October 10, 2012
12:19 AM

Post #9301238

Wonderful shots, as always, duc.

Burn, love your little sparrows.

Nanny, you are the woodpecker queen. Cute Hairy. I agree with your comments about the rescue ducks. If they'd just left them for an hour, they'd have found their own way to water, but despite this, they've done a superb job. Thanks for the link, Pelle.

Wow, GP, the second shot of the bittern is fantastic.

Singing Honeyeater from yesterday afternoon.

Thumbnail by MargaretK

gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

October 10, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9301280

Thanks Margaret and duc...I had to go out for a while and when I came home the Bittern was gone. I was relieved, since I began to wonder if he was injured, just sitting the the shrub for such a long time.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9301411

gardenpom wrote:Thanks Margaret and duc...I had to go out for a while and when I came home the Bittern was gone. I was relieved, since I began to wonder if he was injured, just sitting the the shrub for such a long time.

Probably lost on migration. Sitting still and using its excellent camouflage is its way of hoping you didn't see it - I'd guess it flew off as soon as it was sure you weren't looking its way any more.

Amazing the way they have their eyes on their chin. Good for looking down for fish.

Resin
gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

October 10, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9301804

Yes, he was using his "alarmed" stance for me.
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 11, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9302225

I am soooooooooo far behind on this thread. Fantastic photos everyone.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 11, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9302476

Margaret, love your honeyeater photo.

GP, word must have gotten to that bittern that your garden was a safe place to rest.

Here's a northern flicker, a mockingbird, one of two osprey that flew past me this morning.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln      

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

October 11, 2012
9:16 PM

Post #9302844

The tufted titmice & chickadees have been emptying our tube feeder at a great rate. I suspect that they are this summer's families.
gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

October 14, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9304662

Starting to see more birds the last few days. I also have my first Buntings this Fall. So far 1 male Painted, 1 female Painted and1 male Indigo Bunting. Saw a beautiful Baltimore Oriole fly by. I'll have a few pics later.
gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

October 14, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9305217

Indigo w/ male Painted Bunting Hummingbird Starling Sparrow Blue Jay

Thumbnail by gardenpom   Thumbnail by gardenpom   Thumbnail by gardenpom   Thumbnail by gardenpom   Thumbnail by gardenpom

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

October 15, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9306176

It's so nice to see those bunting again, GP.
Nice shots everyone.

Song Sparrow, Female Evening Grosbeak, immature male Evening Grosbeak, Junco, and a Robin.

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

October 15, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9306203

I think that the tufted titmice nested here. The small flock which is clearing us of birdfood (with help from black capped chickadees) Is probably one or two families.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 16, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9306882

Spotted my first Dark-eyed Junco of the season this morning!!

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56         

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

October 16, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9307000

Have not seen juncos here as yet. They may have stopped off in Maine.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9307059

i had my first Junco on October 2, but have not seen one since.

I've been pretty much MIA lately, but still lurkingÖ Here are a few pics I've taken in the past few weeks (sorry for the grainy, high ISO!)

1. Dark-eyed Junco (first of season)
2. Juvie Yellow-bellied sapsucker vs. House sparrow.
3. Yellow-rumped (myrtle) warbler. I had a bunch of these this year!
4. Common Flicker
4. Cedar Waxwing and Robin

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

October 16, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9307465

The Junco have been here for about 2 weeks now. Seen only one immature White-crowned Sparrow so far, Iots of White-throated Sparrows, but no warblers this fall.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

October 16, 2012
10:52 PM

Post #9307639

Sacred Kingfisher.

Thumbnail by MargaretK

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 17, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9307796

Oh, wow. I haven't checked in for a while, so I had quite a treat waiting for me. Wonderful photos everyone!

Duc, The CA Quail is gorgeous! Fantastic capture. That White-crowned Sparrow you posted on Sep 24 posed adorably. I am so enjoying all of your Northern Flicker shots, especially the one on Oct 11 showing off that vibrantly colored tail. The Mocker on that same day is in beautiful light! Love that shot. The Hermit Thrush in flight is an awesome capture.

Nanny, Those Red-breasted Nuthatches are so cute! Cool to see the Hairy Woodpecker and that cute litte Blue Bird.

Kim, Cool to see that GBHeron all fluffed up.

Mrs. Ed, Nice shot of the Palm Warbler! I love the variety you posted on Oct 16th. Great catch on the interaction between the Sapsucker and Sparrow. You had to be quick on the draw to get that one! And it must be quite a treat to see the Cedar Waxwings. They are such beautiful and unique looking birds. They come through here, but donít stay in any one place very long.

Linth, Beautiful photos! The cormorant with the beautiful water and reflection is my favorite of the first Sept 18 series, but I also really like to see the birds in habitat as in your last image of that series. Iím curious about the first image in your second series on Sept 18. Everything about it looks like a Great Egret except the bill color. The bill color looks like a juvi white morph of the Reddish Egret. But, that would be rare in MD, right? If itís the same bird as in the second photo, then it is probably just weird lighting or maybe a muddy bill?

Burn, Cute shot of that Blue Jay with his peanut. They do love them. My Dad used to feed birds by hand when he worked in his vegetable garden every morning. He walked up and down each aisle and checked each plant, removing worms and bugs and held them out in his hand. Usually it was Robins that would get them, but Mockingbirds would play too. I love that shot on Oct 15 with the Robin and the berry. Beautiful bird and cute pose!

Dave, Cool to see the Cardinals and especially the feeding behavior with the fledgling.

Hack, Cute little chickadee patiently waiting for a refill on that feeder! :-)

Margaret, As always, I love seeing the birds you post since I will likely never see them except in a zoo, if that. That Red-tailed Black Cockatoo is a beautiful bird! I hope, as Resin suggests, that it will adapt and do well. Interesting how that Honeyeater sort of blends into that flowering tree. I had never even heard of a Sacred Kingfisher, so had to look it up. Interesting bird! It prefers to nest in termite mounds! Strange.

Gary, Another bird I donít see - those Trumpeter Swans are so beautiful.

GP, How cool to see a Bittern in your yard!

Patti

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 17, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9307850

Great recap Patti, I haven't many pic. to share but have been enjoyed everyone's sharings on this thread--indeed a nice treat. Thanks all. In our backyard I haven't seen any Juncos, or Warblers, nor various Sparrows yet. However, I've seen some yellow...or those could be pines warblers on the mountain when DH ran his half marathon this past weekend. There, while I stayed and cheered hubby on the run, I spotted many different birds, and was so thrilled to have captured a glimpse of this male Rose-breasted Grosbeak. It could be a juvie? For the red 'bib' on its chest was smaller than what I remembered seeing them in years past. Oh, BTW, there are many Phoebes singing in our area this time of the year.

Happy birding everyone, keep those gorgeous photos coming please.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 17, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9307966

I got behind again but glad more and more of you are discovering more birds in your area. Loved all the photos.

My dark-eyed juncos finally arrived too.
This is the first eagle I've seen in a month.
Here's a northern flicker that is an intergrade. Most of our flickers have the red malar (mustache).
More and more great blue herons are showing up on the lake.
Last one is a black phoebe.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #9307993

Nice pics, all!

Nearly 100 posts, can someone start Volume 446, please?

Thanks!

Resin

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 17, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9308017

Wait, wait, may I please post one more comment and pic. before someone will start a new thread please. Duc, I'm so glad you've mentioned of the intergrade Northern Flicker. For most of what I've seen apparently are the intergrade ones. When I saw your red malar flickers on previous posts I was be-puzzled. lol

Here is and example of a flicker that I often see down here. Never have I seen one with a red malar around here.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9308097

Really nice photos, everyone. Lots of variety.

Patti, you commented on the first Great Egret photo (Post #9279527). I actually altered the image to Black and White in post processing. I do that sometimes if the original image is lacking proper color. You are right about the Reddish Egret. It would be extremely rare to see one in Maryland.

Resin, I will be happy to start a new thread unless someone beats me to it. Just give me some time to set it up. The last couple of times that I have tried to post, I have had problems. After preparing the message, I hit Preview and it prepares the message to send. However, my original comments are missing underneath in case I wanted to make any corrections. I then hit Send and nothing happened ?
linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9308107

Here is a link to the new thread ...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1285041/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America