Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Is my pineapple ready?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 3, Views: 75
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gmun
Chester Springs, PA

September 4, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9264959

How do I know if my pineapple is ready to eat? I don't want to pick it early or leave it too long - I've been waiting for this for two years!!

This was taken a few days ago now. If you look really closely at the bottom front of the picture the plant is beginning to "split"(?) and start to grow a new centre-bit. It's fairly pushed through in the last few days (yes I should take another picture but it's raining outside and I keep forgetting to ask about this!) so I wonder if that means the plant has finished with this fruit and is now preparing for another one...??

Also, the fruit is pretty small compared to store bought pineapples - does anyone have any advice on the best way to cut this without wasting flesh?

Thanks,
G

Thumbnail by gmun
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Moofiepoo
Orlando, FL

September 7, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9268241

I know mine is ready when I can smell it fresh and sweet. Also the color, mine are golden, and they get a lot of gold color all around the outside of them. Yours looks way to green to me and is still small. I am not seeing the split you talk about. I have several and the color and smell is how I judge mine. The plants separate usually 2 pups to the mother plant. I have never gotten 2 fruits off of one plant, but have heard it happens once in a while.
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9274278

I have been growing my pineapple plant for the 2nd year now, & I'm thinking I should be getting a pineapple on it. Nothing as of now. I wonder why.
Moofiepoo
Orlando, FL

September 16, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9276747

When young sometimes they take 3 or 4 years for first fruit. My plants have to get large about 2 and 1/2 feet wide and high or larger before first fruits. They do not give me a pineapple every 2 years. Some do some don't. They do need a lot of water. Enough sun makes a difference too.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America