Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: New comer with her simple vegetables

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 11, Views: 156
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lianmoenir
Jakarta
Indonesia

September 5, 2012
12:52 AM

Post #9265412

I just have a new hobby. It is called Gardening. My yard is not big enough, only 3x3m2. I plant vegetables, and flowers.
the vegetables are spinach, tomato, chilli and pakcoy. It's already harvest except tomato, the spinach and packcoy are boiled and we ate them with peanut sauces (we call "Pecel"). My family likes this food so much. Although we can buy it at store, but It is happier to plant it by ourself and harvest .

Thumbnail by lianmoenir   Thumbnail by lianmoenir   Thumbnail by lianmoenir   Thumbnail by lianmoenir
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9265746

BEAUTIFUL garden! Congratulations, and keep up the good work.

Do you have room for a couple 5-gallon buckets? You can grow LOTS of stuff in buckets, and I see a bit of concrete in the background of your pictures!

Linda

Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl

tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

September 5, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9266099

Way to grow! You'll expand somehow in no time! Congrats!
lianmoenir
Jakarta
Indonesia

September 5, 2012
9:13 PM

Post #9266554

Hi Linda, thank you very much for your advice.
I have opened the link and read it. It's so interesting to try.
Do you have any sketch/picture to describe the method (I need it as I am not good at english). My native is Indonesian. Wish you can help me.

Regards

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9267169

Lianmoenir,
Just look at the pictures on the link. You should be able to follow the pictorial instructions.

Linda
paula_p
Brazoria, TX
(Zone 9b)

September 9, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9269731

thanks for the ebucket tutorial gymgirl/linda. Looks like a great way to grow tomatoes!
Paula

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9270753

Ya'll are very welcome.

I've downsized my eBucket garden, only because I can now build raised beds, and, hopefully do more succession/intensive gardening in the available space.

This'll be my first time growing cole crops directly in the ground, and I'm a bit apprehensive. I KNOW what I can do with an eBucket. REAL dirt frightens me a bit (just kidding)!

This'll be yet another learning curve.

Hugs!

#1 RB #2 with excelsior and coffee grinds layered on the soil surface before filling
#2 RB #2 with 4 mil plastic sheeting on ground, to control weed growth until filling.

Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl         

paula_p
Brazoria, TX
(Zone 9b)

September 10, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9270769

This is our first year growing cole crops & we are growing them in our garden so here's hoping everyone has a successful "first" growing:)

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2012
10:30 AM

Post #9270887

Paula,
You are going to LOVE, LOVE, LOVE growing cole crops in the fall/winter!!!

Have you started seedlings are are you direct sowing? I have 6 trays of cabbages, broccoli and cauliflowers ready to go out for hardening off, then transplanting into RB #1 and #2. Had to build RB #3 to accommodate buy too much garden soil, but, I needed it anyways, just had to do it sooner than I planned.

What're you growing this season? And what're your temps there now in Brazoria? What did you fill your beds with? Brassicas love lots of organic amendments (compost, well aged manure)

Let's keep in touch and grow together this season, ok? Feel free to join us over on the Vegetable Gardening: STARTING OUR 2012 FALL/WINTER VEGGIE GARDENS - PT. 3 thread:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1278675/

Linda
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9274289

Lian: What kind of dirt are you using? Is it the store bought potting soil? And what part of the country do you live? Your vegetables look so good. You have a green thumb, as we call it.
lianmoenir
Jakarta
Indonesia

September 14, 2012
12:42 AM

Post #9274688

HI Behillman,

I live in Indonesiaa. I use common soil, i bought it from garden store.
The weather is very bad here, it's really hot, I have to water them 2x a day.
Thank you for your appreciation of my vegetables. Wish I have a big land..(dream on)

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 14, 2012
4:04 AM

Post #9274726

I no longer wish for big land, it makes me remember having no time to care for it all, but sleeping very long. Plants in containers and plants in the ground are always capable of failing, but they are there for us to care for and tend and fuss over- good gardening!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America