Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Naked ladies blooming early

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 4, Views: 29
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Rumlady
Homeland, CA

September 5, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9265950

My naked ladies started blooming at the end of June, which is really early for here. The question I have is that they didn't put off any green leaves afterward, does that mean they will bloom again? They usually bloom about now so I hope they come back, they always fill my flower beds during the winter. Thank you.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9266860

Which species of Lycoris do you have?
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

September 6, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9266904

They were trying to sneak to get their clothes but you caught them anyway!

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2012
10:29 PM

Post #9267664

Our weather has been sooo weird this year. I wouldn't worry about it, they will return in their own time.
Here on the central coast we didn't get any heat until last week. My plants are completely confused.
Some have dried seed on them and fresh flowers. My morning glories are just blooming while my old fashioned forget-me-nots never bloomed at all.
My naked ladies are in the seed stage now, I haven't had any green growth yet either.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

September 8, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9268941

Mine are flowering striped and ready for the boy's to come along and dance with them, I have also got some deep pink Rhododendrons flowering and they just finished first time round in MAY, there are several other of the same Shrubs different colour, that have huge second buds, they have also made lots of fresh new growth too. Clematis has abundance of second flowers, first time flowered in May and thought it had died, left alone and before you knew it, there came lots of new growth also got second flowering of lovely little Primroses growing and they should have went to sleep till early next spring,
I can only assume the whole world is experiencing such a diversity of weather and climate changes and I thing in UK it has been happening over the past few years, we have had very wet summers and extremely cold freezing winters, my Brother in North Ontario has had much the same experience but at different months of the year.
happy gardening WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America