Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Florida Gardening: CAN CUBAN FROGS HARM KOI?

Communities > Forums > Florida Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Florida GardeningReplies: 36, Views: 300
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9266199

One dropped in pond today to escape my wrath. I've also found some others.
Bonnie
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2012
5:21 AM

Post #9266722

I have so many Im about to loose my mind. My freezer is full of all my lock and locks with frogs in them.

I just have have plain goldfish, frogs dont hurt them, but Im hoping the fish eat the little frogs.

This message was edited Sep 6, 2012 7:23 AM

Thumbnail by gardenglory
Click the image for an enlarged view.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9267414

This afternoon I found 3 more in my birdhouses. I sprayed them with wasp spray as they were too high for me to get to them with my hoe. Now there are 2 in big pond and I couldn't find them to net them out. I know their urine stings if it gets on you but I don't touch them. They give me the willies. Merry Mary on water garden forum said they jumped into one of her ponds during spawning and ate all the fry.
My son and his boys found a 5" one right on top of my garden angels head and took it home and have it in a critter cage and think its great. I told him not to let it loose as it would lay tons of eggs.
A lot of people don't even know about them but I'm sure the rate they are multiplying they soon will.
The info from UF asked people to kill them as they are killing out native frogs.
I'm declaring all out war on them.
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9268135

Latest research: UF Prof is working with colleague in Australia on eradicating spray etc. for cane toads which are poisonous. This will also be used on Cuban frogs. No KNOWN danger to koi.
Product will be named StopHop and hopefully available in US next year if all goes well.

Until then spray them with benzocane or litocan (sp) It will slow them down so you can dispose of them in perferred method.

Thats all for now.
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 8, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9268733

Gardenglory,
The Cuban frogs eat the fish fry while they are spawning according to MerryMary on water garden forum.
I hapapened on the Garden Web site and there is a discussion on there about how people feel about killing CTF. I think they are all in Fl. Some people have had clogged drains, power stopped due to them getting onto switch boxes, They also like getting into toilet bowels. Yuk
The state is asking folks to eradicate them whenever they can but some won't. I certainly will as to me there gross. I won't touch one with bare hand cause they secret a harmful fluid.
Bonnie
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9270530

Just put some in the fridge to cool down before freezing them. I dont num them, but if I ever remembered to get some ora jel I would.
orchid923
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 10, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9271361

I read somewhere, a while ago and can't remember where, of a reasonably easy solution to catch Cuban frogs. Get some PVC pipe, a few feet in length, and put in the ground. Eventually, these frogs will use the pipe as a home and gather inside. You will then need two bags. Put one supermarket plastic bag over the top of the pipe, securing the top of the bag to the pipe; then remove pipe from the ground. Not too clear on how would get the frogs out of the pipe into the bag, but I think that if you stuff something, perhaps another plastic supermarket bag in the other end, and poke it further and further into the pipe (perhaps with a stick), then the frogs would end up in the first bag. Take it off the pipe quickly, secure and stuff in the freezer until dead.
I have just put two PVC pipes in the ground and will check them out every day. I hope it works.

One or more have taken up residence in a gap, or something between the wall of the house and my potting bench roof, which is plexiglas and which is against the side of the house. Every morning there is fresh poop that's dripped down the wall, staining it. It's even difficult to hose off. We plan on repainting the house and hubby wants to replace the plexiglas roof, so I'm motivated in getting rid of these invasive frogs.
orchid923
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 10, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9271371

The secretions from these frogs are irritating, but not harmful to humans. Incidentally, if you can try to move the skin on top of its head, either through a bag or with a thin plastic glove on, and if the skin is "fused" to its head and doesn't move, then it is a Cuban frog!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9271414

Their feet identify them clearly. I also saw that pipe idea. Too much trouble for me. Hope it works tho. I still have 2 living in my high up bird houses. If they make the mistake of ever coming out I hope I'm around at the time. Since I found a site that gave their call I hear them at night when they come out to forage for food. Says they will eat anything they can fit into their mouth. I'm glad my koi aren't spawning.

Still wish my favorite black snake would come back into the yard. Sure miss it. One gal said they would eat them. BTF will eat little snakes. I havne't seen a snake in my yard for at least 2 years.

Glad I don't have any baby birds around right now also. They eat them also. Guess they have a good appetite.
Bonnie

chiquib313
Homestead, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 13, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9274065

Is there a way of identifying them from regular frogs besides having to hold them in any way, shape or form? I'm with Bonnie, they give me the creeps too. Can't wait for the StopHop to come out.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9275602

Just look at the round ball like pads at the end of their feet. Our native frogs don't have them.

Opened up roof on little pond house today and there were 2 more in there. I had gloves on and grabbed at them but they jumped into pond. They are quick as greased lightening. I will get them one day. One was curled up inside of an empty snail shell I had on pond house porch and I didn't see it until I moved it and then he jumped out clearing my shoulder. If he had ended up down my shirt front one of us would have had a hissy fit. I was scrubbing the black algae on the house front. Both were about 3". 1 sand color and 1 patchy looking brown.

When Stop Hop comes out I'll be their first customer.
Bonnie
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9276191

lol...I got one in the face the other day, hissy fit...yea. Im afraid it went straight to the freezer with no numbing. I have to do it quick, I do feel bad for them, as they look at you with those big eyes.

pbyrley

pbyrley
Port St Lucie (+ Wk , FL
(Zone 9b)

September 17, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9277593

Bonnie, what does the "little " pond house look like? I was wondering if you can put a lg. plastic bag over it and tie it shut at the bottom. OK, that may not be the kind of little I was imagining.

Is the main difficulty that you want to humanely catch them so you can humanely freeze them?

Paul
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9277612

I think she would kill them any way she could. Problem is catching them. There was someone on here who used to smash them with a shovel, but you still had to catch them first. I personally feel bad enough freeing them, there are some that are just so big. Way bigger than a toad.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9277656

pbyrley,
Please look in Water Garden forum at New Pond In Progress (first thread) and scroll down and you will see little pond house. It is 48" wide, 36" deep and 4 feet high. All filtration is inside of waterfall form so it has to be easily accessable. I do not freeze them.
I have a choc. lab who will eat anything and I don't want her to get ahold of one considering they have a mucus on their skin that can cause problems.
Reason I have so many is I have one of their favorite food sources. I have 100's of little green tree frogs which are natives so they can stay. Nuff said.
Happy ponding.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9277659

I havent seen a green tree frog in years, thats why I hate them so bad. I loved those green tree frogs.

pbyrley

pbyrley
Port St Lucie (+ Wk , FL
(Zone 9b)

September 17, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9278083

Aren't there any neighbor boys with bb guns any more? We used to shoot both good and bad animals before we learned to respect all (native) wildlife.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9278159

Kids dont even seem to even go outside anymore. Im guessing in this very protective world, most would be scared of them, not 'play' with them like we use too. I think theyve traded bb guns for paint ball guns. I loved to shoot the boys bb gun, not animals tho.
Totally off the subject. writing this, and thinking about catching things, it hit me, I havent seen a firefly in years. Well, maybe the frogs ate them too. ;-)

Bonnie..if you dont freeze them, what do you do with them.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9278212

pby,
we have guns but these critters are too small to pop off plus ammo is too expensive now to waste on foolish pursuits.

gardenglory
after their dead I bury them for fertilizer under my plants
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 18, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9278588

lol, what I meant was, how do you get them to the burying point. I bury my frozen one too, I dont want them to defrost in the kitchen trash.

We are getting a heck of a rain and storm this morning. Not sure how widespread it is, but we can actually use it.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 23, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9283809

http://ufwildlife.ifas.ufl.edu/cuban_treefrog_inFL.shtml

always helps to have a good link to go to for additional info.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 24, 2012
4:28 AM

Post #9284600

Steve Johnson is the Prof. I talked to. Seems he is diligently working on trying to eradicate them.
I doubt it will happen but we can try.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 26, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9287321

The tadpoles eat the fry too...blah...big pains in the behinds! I haven't had a green frog in my yard in years because of the CTF's. Lizard population is way down too.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 26, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9287340

hay, would someone share what stop hop is? I've not heard of this.

Jan
chiquib313
Homestead, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 27, 2012
5:09 AM

Post #9287681

Look at Bonnie's Sept. 7th entry:
"Latest research: UF Prof is working with colleague in Australia on eradicating spray etc. for cane toads which are poisonous. This will also be used on Cuban frogs. No KNOWN danger to koi.
Product will be named StopHop and hopefully available in US next year if all goes well."

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9288230

M Mary come on over. I'll load you right up with the little green frogs. Got tons. Need you to look at blue boy who now I think is blue girl. Body is very thick.
See you soon I hope.
orchid923
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 30, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9291461

Already caught one in the PVC pipe. it went into a bag (actually I triple bagged it) and then into the freezer it went.
locoluna
Orlando, FL

October 16, 2012
10:44 PM

Post #9307638

Cuban tree frog vs small snake

Thumbnail by locoluna   Thumbnail by locoluna   Thumbnail by locoluna   Thumbnail by locoluna   Thumbnail by locoluna
Click an image for an enlarged view.

locoluna
Orlando, FL

October 16, 2012
11:17 PM

Post #9307646

Alert and awake at noon..all eyes fixed on the same thing. A snake. They have snake surrounded. I think the fat one ate the snake...lol...

Thumbnail by locoluna   Thumbnail by locoluna   Thumbnail by locoluna   Thumbnail by locoluna   Thumbnail by locoluna

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 17, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9307910

Great photos! The last one shows the abnormally large toe pads on the CTFs, as well as the slightly warty skin the other tree frogs don't have. No wonder the snake hangs out there! Long live his appetite! :)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9307930

WOW, Locoluna, you have a CTF fram going there. Thats worse than what I have to put up with.
Hope that snake stays on duty. Can't feature those size frogs eating that large of a snake but who knows. UF info says they will eat anything they can fit into their mouth.
Bonnie
locoluna
Orlando, FL

October 17, 2012
12:32 PM

Post #9308098

I was kidding bout frog eating snake...but those frogs are huge. The snake is a little guy...his head is only as big as my index finger. I put the snake on the hanging plant...I didn't think he'd actually get that frog. The frog jumped onto the plant next to one with snake then I scared it back into pot with snake and wham he got it. I felt kinda bad...it took him forty five minutes to eat frog. That frog really put up a fight...you can see him still clutching onto snake even after his head was swallowed. The frog blew herself up like a balloon. I don't have that many anymore. Hubby and I sucked a bunch with the shop vacuum..only way to reach some. There are still a few I can't reach or cannot find.I protect my one little green guy by the pond...as more keep appearing from who knows where. Had three green guys. I was so happy..didn't have any before only Cubans. I guess they got the other two. These invasive frogs really suck. Hubby has been catching in bag and freezing them when I spot them now. Yea!!!

Thumbnail by locoluna   Thumbnail by locoluna         

locoluna
Orlando, FL

October 17, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9308100

First pic...I'm pretty sure that was a burp...

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9308475

gotta love those rat snakes! lol

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2012
9:19 PM

Post #9308540

are you saying you picked that snake up? OHMYGoodness, I could never do that, as I hate snakes and I'm a strange gardener as I don't care how good they are for my property, I don't want to see them. I can see though why you like him cause it eats that nasty frogs, but gosh in my yard he would have to eat them somewhere out of my sight!

Jan
locoluna
Orlando, FL

October 18, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9309000

LOL... I dont see that snake too often. About three times in past year. Only when in pursuit of a cuban tree frog. He worked so hard scaling the wall of porch...only for the frogs to jump to the other side (with their big sticky toes) just helped him out a bit. LOL... With gloves, of course. They will bite if they feel threatened.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9309189

My oldest son had a rat snake for a pet when he was younger and handled it all the time but it never offered to bite.
I could handle that snake easier than I could one of those frogs. I grabbed a frog 2 days ago and he wet all over my glove so I washed it in bleach. They are nasty little buggers.
Glad you are doing so well with your eradication program. Keep up the good work.
Bonnie

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Florida Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Florida Gardening Magazine - does anyone here subscribe? JaxFlaGardener 58 Apr 16, 2013 7:48 PM
Native Plant (wanted) Botanyguy 16 Jun 6, 2008 6:20 PM
Duranta budgielover 26 Jul 21, 2008 10:36 PM
Jeremy's Mystery sugarweed 11 Jun 12, 2011 9:23 PM
Do Tall Bearded Iris grow in Florida? JaxFlaGardener 67 Jun 20, 2008 6:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America