Photo by Melody

Canning, Freezing and Drying: Have a recipe for canning marinated roasted sweet peppers?

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 5, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
PhyllisJ
Johnson City, TN
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9266347

I would love to can some of my peppers both red and green. Does anyone have a recipe to share?
happygirl345
Pleasant Hill, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 16, 2012
11:08 AM

Post #9276685

This is from my favorite book on food preservation,called "Well Preserved" by Eugenia Bone.

4 pounds peppers
1 cup bottled lemon juice
2 cups white wine veingar (5% acidity)
1 cup olive oil
2 medium garlic cloves, sliced (about 1 tablespoon)
1.5 teaspoons salt

Char broil peppers in broiler (about 7 inches from heat), turning often so that they blister all over, about 20 minutes.
Let peppers stand until cool enough to handle. Remove charred skin, cut peppers in half, and remove seed pods.

Combine lemon juice, vinegar, oil, garlic, and salt in a saucepan and heat over medium heat, just to boiling

Have ready 3 scalded jars/bands. (simmer new lids in small pan of water to soften flange)

Pack peppers into jars and pour marinade over them. Using butter knife, pop any air bubbles in the jars. See that the garlic slices are evenly distributed. Leave 1/2-3/4" headspace in jars.

Wipe rims, place lids, screw on bands until fingertip tight.

Process peppers in boiling bath for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and allow jars to sit in the water for 5 minutes, then remove jars and let them rest for 4-5 hours. Check seals and store in a cool, dry place for up to a year!

I haven't tried this recipe yet... but probably will in a week or so when my banana pepper plant is ready!

-Patty
PhyllisJ
Johnson City, TN
(Zone 6b)

September 17, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9278009

That sounds like a great recipe. I had always heard it wasn't safe to use oil in canning. Have you heard anything like that? Thanks for the recipe.

This message was edited Sep 17, 2012 4:16 PM
happygirl345
Pleasant Hill, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 27, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9288310

I've never had a problem - i think with the vinegar the acid will be high enough. I also have a great recipe for marinated artichoke hearts that uses lemon juice and olive oil -- delish...
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 28, 2012
4:44 AM

Post #9288612

This sounds great ~ I hope to try it next summer.

Is the time correct tho?
Quoting: Char broil peppers in broiler (about 7 inches from heat), turning often so that they blister all over, about 20 minutes.
seems too long, I'd think it would cook them to mush. Kristi
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 28, 2012
4:47 AM

Post #9288614

Adding that I need to look for that book. I am a cookbook/plantbook junkie. LOL

Also if I can add, I think the problem with oil in canned goods in to be sure to keep the jar rims free of oil so they will seal.
I've canned meats in the past and there is always excess fats that cook out so I don't think it is an issue. JMO Kristi

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 59 Nov 2, 2012 9:35 AM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America