Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Aroids: What is growing with my EE's?

Communities > Forums > Aroids
bookmark
Forum: AroidsReplies: 3, Views: 92
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
smileymom343
Kenmore, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2012
3:09 AM

Post #9266650

Good morning! I have a pot with Elephant Ears growing in it. The package just said "Elephant Ears", so I cannot add any info on the type of EE's they are.

I noticed these 2 things growing in the pot, they look like they are coming right from the bulbs. At first I thought they were flowers, but after searching I figure they are most likely not. They are around 1-1/2' to 2' long. They also do not look like leaves, they are not unfurling at all.

Can anyone identify what they are?

Thank you!

Thumbnail by smileymom343   Thumbnail by smileymom343
Click an image for an enlarged view.

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 6, 2012
3:34 AM

Post #9266668

They look like 'runners'. Normally, if they were planted in the ground, the runners would be right on top of the soil or just below it, and at each little 'indention' (like 2nd photo where you finger is) roots will form and a small plant. You can see the nubs just forming. Try 'wrapping' it around the inside of the pot so little ones will grow.
smileymom343
Kenmore, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2012
5:18 AM

Post #9266719

Excellent! Thank you!
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

September 6, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9267601

Looks like Colocasia esculenta and that is the way they multiply. You'll probably find yourself over run with them before long.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Aroids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
How to ID elephant ears!!! bwilliams 37 Jul 5, 2012 11:15 AM
Colocasia Thai Giant- pics please AuntB 54 Aug 23, 2008 3:03 PM
Aroids to trade: skilledwithands 23 Jun 13, 2008 12:41 AM
The most over looked aroid in the araceae family. bwilliams 17 Apr 29, 2010 8:18 PM
Which of these is A. podophyllum and what's the other? Carter 7 Oct 1, 2007 3:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America