Photo by Melody

Beginner Landscaping: A suitable lawn for shade?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 14, Views: 92
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ynk
Pune
India

September 6, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9266788

Hi guys, I am looking at a lawn that will grow well in shade. I have planted paspalum and taiwan grass earlier, but both have been massive failures . I came across a lawn called KOREAN VELVET GRASS and was blown away by its sheer beauty. Is it true that this can grow well in shade? I have a huge tree that covers most of the area. Sunlight is an issue, some scattered sunlight does get in, but only just! I am based in Pune, India so temperatures are around 20-25 most of the year and never below 10 degrees celcius. I'm also attaching a snap. this is my third attempt now so really don't want to go wrong :( I really am keen on the velvet grass too ( zoysia tunifolia). Any other landscaping ideas are most welcome :)

This message was edited Sep 6, 2012 7:28 AM

Thumbnail by ynk   Thumbnail by ynk
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ynk
Pune
India

September 8, 2012
10:58 PM

Post #9269554

Help guys :(
davidsl88
Worcester, MA

September 9, 2012
11:30 AM

Post #9269887

Have you thought of shade ground cover instead? With the edging, you have a nice spot to 'landscape'. A few come to mind: pachysandra, ajuga, creeping phlox, lamium - maybe include a few shade perennials...
ynk
Pune
India

September 13, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9274024

davidsl88 wrote:Have you thought of shade ground cover instead? With the edging, you have a nice spot to 'landscape'. A few come to mind: pachysandra, ajuga, creeping phlox, lamium - maybe include a few shade perennials...

Thanks for the idea..they do look interesting, but a beautiful lawn is rather a dream of mine :) So a little more keen on any lawn suggestions :)
Could u update me on the korean velvet?
davidsl88
Worcester, MA

September 13, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9274036

Sorry I don't know anything about that grass. What's shading that area? Is it a tree/shrub you can move/prune/shear to get more sun to that area? Does that area get at least 4 hours of (at least dappled) sunlight per day? Are there any garden centers or lawn care services nearby that can offer advice? We have our lawn treated by a service and I call them frequently with questions about my lawn. I think Pune is tropical, right? Zone 10 or 11? So you would definitely want to get grasses that can handle the heat. Zoysia, Centipede, Carpetgrass and St. Augustine are shade grasses that can take tropical heat.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 13, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9274238

Mondo grass!! and maybe even combine normal green mondo grass with black mondo grass! it grows in shade/light shade and i think would be great. also there's lilyturf but that gets a bit tall and flowers.
also the mondo grass doesn't grow like your typical lawn, it grows in clumps but i really think you should give it a try :)

This message was edited Sep 13, 2012 5:12 PM
ynk
Pune
India

September 14, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9274856

davidsl88 wrote:Sorry I don't know anything about that grass. What's shading that area? Is it a tree/shrub you can move/prune/shear to get more sun to that area? Does that area get at least 4 hours of (at least dappled) sunlight per day? Are there any garden centers or lawn care services nearby that can offer advice? We have our lawn treated by a service and I call them frequently with questions about my lawn. I think Pune is tropical, right? Zone 10 or 11? So you would definitely want to get grasses that can handle the heat. Zoysia, Centipede, Carpetgrass and St. Augustine are shade grasses that can take tropical heat.

There is a huge tree on top, one that cannot be cut easily. There is some dappled sunlight (as seen in the pic). lots of heat here, maximum temp could go upto 38 degrees C and minimum to about 10 degrees. But on an avg it stays around 25-28 :) I had a paspalum lawn put actually, that seems to be similar to St Augustine (again u can see the vestiges in the photo) but I dont like it much because it doesnt look like a lawn at all. It just keeps growing like crazy (due to less amount of sunlight I gather), hence I want to change it to something that has slender leaves. Unless I am mistaken though, Korean velvet is a variety of Zoysia :)

This message was edited Sep 14, 2012 6:54 AM
ynk
Pune
India

September 14, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9274861

coastalzonepush wrote:Mondo grass!! and maybe even combine normal green mondo grass with black mondo grass! it grows in shade/light shade and i think would be great. also there's lilyturf but that gets a bit tall and flowers.
also the mondo grass doesn't grow like your typical lawn, it grows in clumps but i really think you should give it a try :)

This message was edited Sep 13, 2012 5:12 PM

I had actually looked at Mondo grass as an option but I dont know if it will look good on a plot of land. From wat I understand it is used for borders. Looks lovely though, and I am a bit biased to 'clumpy' grasses. Is it good to walk on? Also, another issue which I forgot to mention earlier was that during fall, the tree would shed quite a lot of leaves! I wonder if they would get stuck in the mondo grass?
davidsl88
Worcester, MA

September 14, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9274990

Zoysia?! I told you I don't know much about grass! LOL!!

My huge maple made it impossible to grow anything BUT grass. I couldn't even get Lily of the Valley to grow.

When I think of 'clump' grasses I think of what my lawn looks like now. My 2 dogs have ruined it. With so many low dead spots and so many higher clump-y spots, it makes mowing such a chore - the mower rocks up and down over the uneven surface and gets 'caught' on some of the bigger clumps. Wouldn't clumping grass be tough to mow? Unless it's not going to be a 'lawn'.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9275017

Hi Ynk. Here is some info I found on Zoysia tenuifolia, Korean velvet grass. I hope it is helpful to you.

http://garden.iloveindia.com/all-about-lawns/index.html

http://www.american-lawns.com/grasses/zoysia.html

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/archives/parsons/turf/publications/zoysia.html
ynk
Pune
India

September 14, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #9275051

davidsl88 wrote:Zoysia?! I told you I don't know much about grass! LOL!!

My huge maple made it impossible to grow anything BUT grass. I couldn't even get Lily of the Valley to grow.

When I think of 'clump' grasses I think of what my lawn looks like now. My 2 dogs have ruined it. With so many low dead spots and so many higher clump-y spots, it makes mowing such a chore - the mower rocks up and down over the uneven surface and gets 'caught' on some of the bigger clumps. Wouldn't clumping grass be tough to mow? Unless it's not going to be a 'lawn'.

lol no.. Not that type of clumpy!! I meant this kind of clumpy http://www.google.co.in/imgres?imgurl=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3WtmbB4pC30/TsLncdu4r_I/AAAAAAAAA8Y/r18sW4CO6as/s1600/KOREAN+GRASS+00_THUMB.jpg&imgrefurl=http://thinkingoutsidetheboxwood.blogspot.com/2011/11/korean-velvet-grass.html&h=787&w=786&sz=141&tbnid=mA0DKveIjjbjmM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=93&prev=/search?q=korean+grass&tbm=isch&tbo=u&zoom=1&q=korean grass&usg=__OM7CPlZmTYGRdUZNtuDYN2M8wLc=&docid=P11d1PVWnCwK8M&sa=X&ei=FGNTULDzEoiHrAfv3YDwBg&ved=0CCkQ9QEwAg&dur=442
ynk
Pune
India

September 14, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #9275052

themoonhowl wrote:Hi Ynk. Here is some info I found on Zoysia tenuifolia, Korean velvet grass. I hope it is helpful to you.

http://garden.iloveindia.com/all-about-lawns/index.html

http://www.american-lawns.com/grasses/zoysia.html

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/archives/parsons/turf/publications/zoysia.html[/quote]

Excellent! Thanks for this!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9275057

You are most welcome...Z tenuifolia is a beautiful grass and worth a try.
davidsl88
Worcester, MA

September 14, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9275124

okay - so that grass is really gorgeous and luxurious! I see why you're attracted. But what's your goal? Are you not really going for a 'lawn' so much as ground cover? It looks long, so how would you mow it? Or would you not mow? I guess I'm confused. :>) I say if you love it just get it! LOL!!

Here's a pic of my clumping grass. It may be free, but not the look I'm going for! LOL!

Thumbnail by davidsl88
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ynk
Pune
India

September 14, 2012
10:29 PM

Post #9275676

davidsl88 wrote:okay - so that grass is really gorgeous and luxurious! I see why you're attracted. But what's your goal? Are you not really going for a 'lawn' so much as ground cover? It looks long, so how would you mow it? Or would you not mow? I guess I'm confused. :>) I say if you love it just get it! LOL!!

Here's a pic of my clumping grass. It may be free, but not the look I'm going for! LOL!

Ah well, I am a little confused too :) But it seems that the fullfledged lawns won't grow in my yard.. Hence the clumping varieties. If it turns out well, I will mow it less often. Of course if it is going to turn out the way it looks in the pic I posted earlier, I guess thats a win :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America