Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Squirrels relocating your daffs?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I have always use daffs to repel rabbits and voles, and it has always been successful, because daffodils are poisonous. We didn't have squirrels in the community I moved from, so it was never a problem there. But in my new yard, especially with so much planting, I have learned to use freshly ground black pepper on newly turned earth to repel squirrels.

But when I moved to my new home, I didn't bother to "pepper" the daffs I put in late last fall to protect against them.

So imagine my surprise when I tilled my front parkway, and turn up several daffs that have been buried by the squirrels. They don't eat them - they just relocate them. It was nice of them to bury them such that they weren't damaged. And, come to think of it, I have found several daffodil bulbs sitting at the surface of the soil, and wondered what the deal was. They are perfectly undamaged - but wow are they in bad places!

So if you are putting in ANY bulb, including poisonous ones like daffs, give a few turns of a black pepper mill over the spot. The pepper must be fresh to be effective.

This thread has 3 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!