Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Gardening Questions: Please help me identify these spots

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 11, Views: 120
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
yellow2mato
Deer Park, TX

September 6, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9267345

For a few years I have had groups of these spots on the outside of my house. I first noticed them on the pole by my front door. I tried to wipe them off, and it was kind of sticky. I tried to look them up on google, but since I didn't really know how to describe them, didn't have much luck. The closest I could find was that it is some type of fungus that could originate from compost or soil. The problem is that the pictures they were describing look like bigger bumps (for lack of a better way to describe them), and darker. The ones on my house are always in groups.

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I read over the names of other topics, and couldn't tell where it should go. Thanks for your help.

Thumbnail by yellow2mato   Thumbnail by yellow2mato
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2012
10:07 PM

Post #9267653

I get these on my house sometimes too. I believe them to be some kind of spider eggs. Although I can't find a picture of them online so they could be some other bug I suppose, it's just because of their location I always thought they were some kind of spider.
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 11, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9271686

Maybe someone on the insect/spider ID forum could help. From the second picture it definitely looks like some type of insect eggs.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9295803

yellow---

Since you mention Compost and Soil--my mind went right off to the possibility of a mulch-born
fungus called "Artilery Fungus" which "shoots" out "stuff" from the growths.

Look it up--as one of the main complaints has been that it messes up house walls and siding with
whatever it is made up of.

Just a wild guess----but i di not think it is insect caused...

I Googled "Artilery Fungus"---it--see if these links help:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/d/d/ddd2/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphaerobolus

May be something else completely--but this is a good possibility.

Gita

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9296494

Yellow, can you try for a close up pic of the spots? That would better aid in determining if the spots are fungal or insect.
yellow2mato
Deer Park, TX

October 7, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9298788

Thanks for all your replies. I had an unplanned surgery, and haven't been on here for almost a month. Gitagal, I read about artilery fungus back when I first noticed them. The reason I don't think that's what this is, is because the artilery fungus looks black and seems to cover a large area. The spots on my house are grayish/tannish, and a group of many spots is about the size of a nickel. Themoonhowl, I will try to get a close up picture and post it. Thanks again, everyone.
yellow2mato
Deer Park, TX

October 7, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9298810

themoonhowl, I tried taking close up pictures, but they are all blurry. My camera is a pretty simple one. I can't figure out how to get it close up and clear. I'll see if I can get some help. Thanks for the suggestion. A close up would definitely make it easier for it to hopefully be identified.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9298825

yellow--

Does your camera have a Macro setting? Most cameras do.
The symbol for the Macro is a small flower.

Look in your settings somewhere...Gita
yellow2mato
Deer Park, TX

October 9, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9300582

Here is a close up picture. Gita, thanks for that suggestion. My camera doesn't say macro, but it said autofocus, so I tried it.

The entire group of spots is just over half an inch in diameter.

Thumbnail by yellow2mato
Click the image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9300653

It could very well be moth eggs. They are notorious for using walls as repositories. It does rather look like the eggs are no longer viable though.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #9300917

Hmmmmm...A wild thought...

Just an idea. It looks like something wet was on the siding, like bird poop, but it contained the small
seeds or granules.
Then the wet/moisture dried out leaving only the granules. I know sea gulls are notorious poopers on cars and anything else.
Like i said--a wild supposition.

Have you picked one of those dark thingies off to see if it is a seed?

Have you tried washing these spots off with soap and water? Did it work?

OK! Out of suggestions... Gita
yellow2mato
Deer Park, TX

October 10, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9301848

Gita, I tried to wipe it off with my hand back when I first noticed them, but they were sticky...yuck! This is on the underside of my porch, so it's not in a location where a bird could poop. However, the bird poop is a good idea, as I understand what you mean about them leaving things behind. I can always tell when birds have eaten berries. :) Thanks and I appreciate you taking the time to throw out ideas. I've really been grasping at straws because they seem to crop up overnight.

themoonhowl, I bet you are spot-on. There are several groups of these around my house. I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle with moths. It's been going on for over a year. This is going on my husband's "invisible" honey-do list. (I'm still recovering from surgery, so it's hard for me to reach up.) Since the first time I tried to wipe them off and they were sticky, I haven't touched them. Thank you so much!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America