Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Perennials: Yvonne's red salvia

Communities > Forums > Perennials
bookmark
Forum: PerennialsReplies: 5, Views: 93
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 6, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9267445

How do I find the seeds and when can they be harvested from my plant? It didn't start growing until about a month or 6 weeks ago..It must have reseeded itself from last year but why would it wait that late to show up? Over 100 degree weather? It's staying in high 80's and up to 90 for past few weeks..a lot of things have seemed to come back to life, plus we had some nice rainfall about a month ago but now it might have a shower for a few minutes and it's over.

How do I take cuttings from this Salvia? Should I cut the dried blooms off and just lay them down in nearby or same area for it to reseed on it's own? What do the seeds look like?
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9290189

Salvia is a 2 part flower. There is a cup, and inside the cup, is the flower. The flower falls off and the cup remains. The seed are in this cup. You can pick it off and hold your hand under it as you turn it up and the seed will fall into your hand. They will be white if immature, and black if mature. Save them and plant next year and see what you get. Luciee {;^)
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 29, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9290222

Luciee..thanks..I clipped some of the drying blooms off and some black seeds fell out in the cardboard box looking like mice terds..I saw a lot of immature white seeds and put all in a brown lunch bag..will they continue to mature inside the lunch bag? I'm always fascinated at learning to harvest seeds and save till the next planting season. I'm afraid if I leave them to fall on their own, I won't recognize them in the spring and pull them up accidently. Guess some of those organdy bags from the bridal aisle in Michael's or AC Moore's would serve the purpose?

luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9290434

I suppose so. I just use snack bags or sandwich bags. You need the black seed. Sometimes the immature ones will sprout. I put my seed after they are dry in the freezer for next year. Label them with the date collected, and the name. When red salvia comes up it looks like 2 heart shaped leaves with the points pointing away from each other. Try looking up salvia and maybe you can see a picture of the sprouts. Let me clarify something: when the 1st leaves come up, the dicots, they do not look like hearts. When the 1st true leaves come on, they do. Luciee {;^)
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 29, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9290437

You need to let the seeds ripen on the plant--if they hadn't ripened enough they won't continue to develop once they've been removed from the plant. Since you already harvested some of the white ones there's nothing to lose by trying to start them on the off chance they'd developed enough before they were picked, but chances are you won't get much from them.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 30, 2012
2:49 AM

Post #9290639

Now I'm curious and today i will look for more black seeds. Thanks to both of you for your response. I'm afraid if I stuck them in the freezer over the winter, I'd forget they were there. Opps! Guess I'd have to get another magnet for notes for the freezer in the garage.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America