I bought a new Rhododendron about a month ago..When I planted it it did great for the first few weeks, now the leaves are all curling and turning brown what is going on with it? Should I plant it in more sun or what? Here is the best picture I can get of it.
My Poor Rhodo
How many hours of sun is it getting and when? Transplant shock and-or too much sun could be contributing to that behaviour. The curled leaves help the shrub leaves have less contact with sunlight so I was wondering if it was getting too much sunlight, compared to the sunlight it got at the plant nursery.
PS - I assumed you have not applied herbicides or fungicides nearby.
Yea Luis matter of fact that is my shrub garden so one of the shrubs had bugs so I sprayed some seven on it. I believe it get about 6-8 hours of sunlight a day
It is possible the pesticide drifted and caused the problem. However, your geographical location is also iffy and it may just not be able to sun for 8 hours. Try making a contraption using carboard or other materials that will provide sunlight for fewer hours. If the leaves return back to normal in several days or a week then the shrub was just complaining about too much sun. It can also improve if the soil is kept evenly moist at all times and well mulched (3-4" of organic mulch). Give it about 1 gallon of water per watering. Otherwise, it is complaining about pesticide that drifted onto it and that will be a pain to correct. While strong bursts of water twice a week can help remove some of the pesticide, all that accomplishes is throwing/spreading the pesticide around or in the ground, which could start to bother either the soil, plants underneath or the grass. Ugh, hope that was not the real cause of the problem.
O wow I hope not too thanks so much for the information I will keep watch of it. You have been most helpful
It looks thirsty to me. I find that rhododendrons need to be watered quite a bit until they are established. I also agree that it would like more shade. I wish you luck.
Once you see the curled leaves all over the plant, and it has been well watered, it is certain to die.
probably from a fungus like Phytophera Cinnamoni. or Phomopsis.
Was the picture taken when the temperature was below freezing. It looks like it . If so it will correct itself when the weather is warmer.