-
AuthorContent
kountrykitten
Moscow, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9267885

I bought a new Rhododendron about a month ago..When I planted it it did great for the first few weeks, now the leaves are all curling and turning brown what is going on with it? Should I plant it in more sun or what? Here is the best picture I can get of it.

Thumbnail by kountrykitten
Click the image for an enlarged view.

luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9269764

How many hours of sun is it getting and when? Transplant shock and-or too much sun could be contributing to that behaviour. The curled leaves help the shrub leaves have less contact with sunlight so I was wondering if it was getting too much sunlight, compared to the sunlight it got at the plant nursery.

Luis

PS - I assumed you have not applied herbicides or fungicides nearby.
kountrykitten
Moscow, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9270158

Yea Luis matter of fact that is my shrub garden so one of the shrubs had bugs so I sprayed some seven on it. I believe it get about 6-8 hours of sunlight a day
luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2012
10:19 PM

Post #9270416

It is possible the pesticide drifted and caused the problem. However, your geographical location is also iffy and it may just not be able to sun for 8 hours. Try making a contraption using carboard or other materials that will provide sunlight for fewer hours. If the leaves return back to normal in several days or a week then the shrub was just complaining about too much sun. It can also improve if the soil is kept evenly moist at all times and well mulched (3-4" of organic mulch). Give it about 1 gallon of water per watering. Otherwise, it is complaining about pesticide that drifted onto it and that will be a pain to correct. While strong bursts of water twice a week can help remove some of the pesticide, all that accomplishes is throwing/spreading the pesticide around or in the ground, which could start to bother either the soil, plants underneath or the grass. Ugh, hope that was not the real cause of the problem.
kountrykitten
Moscow, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #9270961

O wow I hope not too thanks so much for the information I will keep watch of it. You have been most helpful
back40bean
Decatur, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 10, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9271071

It looks thirsty to me. I find that rhododendrons need to be watered quite a bit until they are established. I also agree that it would like more shade. I wish you luck.
arfitz
Caldwell, NJ
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2012
2:18 PM

Post #9271149

Once you see the curled leaves all over the plant, and it has been well watered, it is certain to die.
probably from a fungus like Phytophera Cinnamoni. or Phomopsis.
arfitz
Caldwell, NJ
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2013
7:22 PM

Post #9454100

Was the picture taken when the temperature was below freezing. It looks like it . If so it will correct itself when the weather is warmer.
Al Fitzburgh

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Rhododendrons and Relatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Azaleas and Rhododendrons Pete2 47 Nov 27, 2013 1:35 PM
Encore azaleas rylaff 11 Oct 22, 2007 12:22 PM
St.Louis Rhodo Fantatic declfi 19 Aug 22, 2008 7:04 PM
Pruning Azaleas gailgalex 7 Feb 12, 2008 4:36 AM
Zone envy celt33040 8 Apr 1, 2007 6:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America