AuthorContent

jaimelemon

jaimelemon
St. Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2012
10:21 AM

Post #9268014

I just received a Minneola Tangelo by mail order yesterday. I was surprised to see that it had a little fruit growing on it. I noticed this cream-colored "stuff" on the one little fruit. I tried scraping it off, and it does come off fairly easily. I can post a picture later when I get home. I didn't really see any other areas where this "stuff" was (leaves, etc). If it is scab, can it infect my other citrus trees? Right now they are all grouped together underneath my carport since we are expecting inclimate weather later today (and the newbie needs shade). Please help!!
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

September 8, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9269303

Citrus scab is a fungal disease that affect only certain citrus varieties, the Minneola Tangelo is one of them. Citrus Scab is an air borne disease, the spores are disperse by the air and can infect lemons and other citrus.
You need to spray with a fungicide, called copper oxychloride. Its safe to use, just make sure you follow the safety directions on the pack and when preparing the mix, add about 6ml of white oil per litre to help make the solution stick to the leaves.
You need to spray all the plant the underside of leaves, the branches, trunk, everywhere, you will need to repeat the spraying.
Look at your tree and if you see any leave, branch with any lumpy pustules on leaves and wart like growths on fruits you have to cut it and dispose in plastic bag and tie it up, so the spores do not scape to continue the spreading the fungus.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Fruit Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blackberries, blueberries and strawberries... RyanandRachel 15 Mar 9, 2007 9:11 PM
Cuttings from Old Apple Tree wildgardengirl 4 Mar 16, 2007 4:08 PM
Strawberries HighCntryGrdnr 18 Sep 4, 2012 6:23 PM
wondering about the fig trees sslopoke 4 Apr 14, 2007 12:26 AM
Queen Ann Cherry Trees lafko06 1 Apr 16, 2007 2:25 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America