Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

'California Wonder' Bell Peppers

New Harmony, UT(Zone 5b)

It's my first time growing 'california wonder' bell peppers (in fact, any bell pepper)
and so far all of the peppers that I've harvested seem smaller than what the description
says (i.e. 4" x 4"). Does removing the number of flower buds help in growing larger
individual peppers?

Thanks,
Linda

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Have not found it to be so. Also never had a California Wonder to grow to 4 x 4 size. Nice peppers but not overly large.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill Thumbnail by Farmerdill
SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

When ya'll figure out which variety gives you LARGE bell peppers, please post it here!

I've been trying for 3 seasons now, to get a decent sized bell pepper, and no go. Even the size Farmerdill is holding would be nice!

I'll watch this thread.

Linda

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

I have had the same experience w/ california Wonder. The size in this photo is as good as it gets.

Thumbnail by BCH521
Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

Quote from Gymgirl :
When ya'll figure out which variety gives you LARGE bell peppers, please post it here!

I've been trying for 3 seasons now, to get a decent sized bell pepper, and no go. Even the size Farmerdill is holding would be nice!

I'll watch this thread.

Linda

Linda, I've been growing a pepper i got from Baker Creek called "yellow Monster" for a while, and have had good luck with the size. They're not quite as tasty as Cal. Wonder but they're really good stuffed!

Bruce

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

The two largest that I have grown are Big Bertha http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/63614/ and Super Heaviweight. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/82744/ They don't set as many fruit but they are big.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Add me to the list of disappointed people with the size of Cal.Wonders- and other varieties. They just don't grow that big! I am also looking for a really big bell for next year.

New Harmony, UT(Zone 5b)

Thanks everyone for the info....now I don't feel like such a lousy gardener. They do taste
good and I'm getting alot of them on just two plants. Next year I think I'll probably grow
them again and also try 'Gypsy'.

Mason, NH(Zone 5b)

'King Arthur' ( http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/80125/ ) gives fairly large, very thick walled bells. Not the biggest out there, but a great size combined with decent production per plant makes them one of my favs for bigger peppers. However, they are a bit on the slow side for me (zone 5b, New Hampshire).

Sierra Vista, AZ(Zone 8b)

I've gotten very large bells--6-8 inches in length and 4 +inches in width--with a Burpee variety named Great Stuff.

Jonesville, SC(Zone 7b)

I have grown California Wonder before and was not impressed with the size. I have not had a lot of experience with growing peppers but I really liked the size of 'Big Dipper' compared to Cal. Wonder. I had some really impressive peppers when I grew them one year. However, I don't grow a lot of peppers and some years, not even a plant but when I do grow them, 'Big Dipper' is my choice. I go through the process of seeding my own stuff so you have to find the seed. Don't quote me, but maybe Burpee has them. Try 'Big Dipper' and post on the plant files with your opinion. I also have a small entry on this variety there.

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

The trouble with many catalog descriptions, is they have one of those fishing rulers that they measure things with. You know the ones that have 13 or 14 "inches" to the foot.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I've also noticed that a majority of catalog descriptions include "best tasting" and "earliest" and "most popular variety".

"Where all the children are above average..."

Jonesville, SC(Zone 7b)

Hey RickCorey_WA. I still think about my vacation to WA everyday! We have not been to a lot of places, because we are still young, but it is going to be hard to beat the one to WA this past summer. I try to make each vacation better than the previous one but WOW, what a beautiful state with so much to do!!! If I remember correctly, you are from NJ originally but you live in a great place now. I am so envious of you.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> you are from NJ originally but you live in a great place now

Exactly! I escaped! I'm planning to spend some time in the cascades soon, but when the sun is shining. I do love WA! I'm glad you liked it. I've almost gotten used t6o how n ice the people are here. Of course, after NJ, ANY state would seem very civilized.

There are toll booths on the turnpike that connects NJ with PA. They charge over $2 to let you leave NJ, b ut it seems like a bargain. Who would pay to get INTO NJ?!?

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

toxic waste trucks

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

i grow 'Quadrato D'Asti Rosso' which is a large very tasty red bell type. never fails to produce and is consistently requested by my neighbors. (we have a barter thing going on, i trade my veggies for their manure, or whatever they have i can use)

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> Who would pay to get INTO NJ?!?
>> toxic waste trucks

Yes, like spawning salmon returning home.

>> i grow 'Quadrato D'Asti Rosso' which is a large very tasty red bell type.

I looked it up and saw "very thick walls" which was great, but "midseason " which was disapointing. Would you swap a few seeds so I can test whether we have enough time for them to ripen ?

I see they're OP so the seeds should come true.

I would grow them in buckets so I could move them under cover when it gets cold and wet.

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

sure rick, will get some in the mail to you asap. no swapping though, you were kind enough to me when i was oinking!

(these are commercial seeds as i do not trust myself to save seeds correctly)

kc

This message was edited Dec 21, 2012 8:32 PM

Delhi, LA

I'm glad I stumbled up on this thread. The bell peppers I've planted the past few years just haven't panned out for me. My wife is always after me to raise some bigger peppers for stuffing. I'm not much of a seed starter but will give some of these varieties a shot. Thanks.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Rick here is a picture of what RC is going to send you. They also come in red. I prefer non bells for a higher yield but this is the only bell that I have had an luck with and they are nice sized.

Thumbnail by 1lisac
Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

I am growing the small ones, not the big ones. They are the "snack" size which are sooooo good eaten out of hand with a dip like hummus or any you prefer. seeds from Johnny's Seeds.

Madras, OR

Be sure to start your seeds in 4" pots, when they start making fruit feed regularly, 0-10-10- and then every 3 weeks or so a good complete fertilizer like fish oil etc.? at least ath works for me

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

Quadrato Rosso D'Asti Pepper Seeds- red quadrato rosso d'asti gallo-yellow
Pure imported Italian seed! The Quadrato Rosso is a superb Italian variety known for its exceptionally large fruit (5"x4") and strong production. The fruit are blocky, typically four-lobed, have a sweet flavor, and change from a brilliant green to rich-red when ripe. Thick walls make these ideal for salads, roasting, or stuffing. 100% Italian seed..

Open-Pollinated, 75 days from transplant.

this picture is not from the company i bought mine, just to give you an idea

Thumbnail by risingcreek
sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

I have found that with my climate Italian vegetables produce really well. slowly but surely i am moving over to almost all Italian varieties and would suggest them to anyone that has issues with the summer heat.

OOpps my Italian isnt very good. lol Now you have a picture of the Red and the Yellow. Ive also had good luck with veggies from Spain and Thailand as well as Italy. Like RC said they keep producing in the heat.

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

oh, never thought of spain, will have to look for some. next year i have a whole asian garden planned out, thanks to rick corey.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

They look great! Thanks, Kacee! I hope I have a long enough, warm enough summer. I've been buying big red peppers from Mexico at a local fruit stand and eating them like candy.

They go to the top of my start-indoors list.

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

Rick-couldnt remember if i sent them so i sent another envelope. i really need a better system

Where can I find the Quadratto seeds?

RC, I was in Italy and Spain in 2000. I brought back a bunch of seeds from the vendors on LasRambles (?) in Barcalona. Bakercreek had an article on their website about their trip there this summer. The next year my whole garden was from those seeds and it was the BEST garden I've ever had. Everything grew and produced like crazy, but I never thought about saving seeds or the packets they came in.

GG-I get my seeds from rareseeds.com but if you google them you'll find them elsewhere. You might try Marconis too.

Thanks, Lisa!

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

you can get the Quadratto seeds from : Ohio Heirloom Seeds

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/7193/

I was ready to hit the "purchase" button on the Ohio Heirloom Seeds website, until I noticed there does not seem to be a security system in place...no locks, no "https" indicator...

I hesitate to place my order, and have contacted them via email. Awaiting a response as to how secure my payment info will be.

Linda

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

Linda, I bet that is why they prefer you to use Paypal.

I'm thinking the same thing...but, since I just cleared TWO unauthorized purchases in the last six months (one of which was a digital camera that appeared on the FEDEX slip the company shared with me, complete with the delivery address so I could go over there and knock on the door and demand my camera or my cash...)

You can understand my extreme hesitation to click that button...

I placed the order. I'm hoping the Italian varieties work well in our Texas heat.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Risingcreek,

THANK you! I either owe you one, or owe you two, depending on how many you sent.

My SO is starting to mention how my seed purchases add up. She seems unimpressed when I try to show off my whole collection "Look at ALL these I got in RETURN!!!"

Her reaction is more like "Why do you need more seeds than you'll plant this year?"

I think it's not really a matter of "need". More like O. Seed D.

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

You can NEVER have too many seeds. that is my motto. i spend my entire winter buying seeds for my garden, after i have participated in several swaps and gotten, literally, hundreds of packets. There always seems to be some new seed i want to try. lots of stuff does not make it through our summers here, so i am learning by trail and error, and having fun.
Having an SO that is not o. seed d. would be tough!

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> learning by trail and error,

Me too.

>> having fun.

Always! Even garden disasters are fun for a while. I should get a rubber stamp for "but they all died". Oh, well!

I delight in buying seeds so they cost 1/3rd as muc h or 1/4 as much, then giving away or trading 2/3 or 3/4 of them. And the variety that comes back in trade, I couldn't afford in this lifetime!

For example, I had never even heard of Quadrato Rosso D'Asti Pepper.

Have you ever heard of "Thor" sweet red peppers? Italian type, thick walls, allegedly up to 12" long? Territorial PP665.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.