Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: 'California Wonder' Bell Peppers

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 57, Views: 438
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lindaboom
New Harmony, UT
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9268126

It's my first time growing 'california wonder' bell peppers (in fact, any bell pepper)
and so far all of the peppers that I've harvested seem smaller than what the description
says (i.e. 4" x 4"). Does removing the number of flower buds help in growing larger
individual peppers?

Thanks,
Linda
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9268149

Have not found it to be so. Also never had a California Wonder to grow to 4 x 4 size. Nice peppers but not overly large.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill   Thumbnail by Farmerdill         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9268173

When ya'll figure out which variety gives you LARGE bell peppers, please post it here!

I've been trying for 3 seasons now, to get a decent sized bell pepper, and no go. Even the size Farmerdill is holding would be nice!

I'll watch this thread.

Linda

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9268205

I have had the same experience w/ california Wonder. The size in this photo is as good as it gets.

Thumbnail by BCH521

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9268216

Gymgirl wrote:When ya'll figure out which variety gives you LARGE bell peppers, please post it here!

I've been trying for 3 seasons now, to get a decent sized bell pepper, and no go. Even the size Farmerdill is holding would be nice!

I'll watch this thread.

Linda

Linda, I've been growing a pepper i got from Baker Creek called "yellow Monster" for a while, and have had good luck with the size. They're not quite as tasty as Cal. Wonder but they're really good stuffed!

Bruce
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9268226

The two largest that I have grown are Big Bertha http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/63614/ and Super Heaviweight. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/82744/ They don't set as many fruit but they are big.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9268227

Add me to the list of disappointed people with the size of Cal.Wonders- and other varieties. They just don't grow that big! I am also looking for a really big bell for next year.
lindaboom
New Harmony, UT
(Zone 5b)

September 8, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9268879

Thanks everyone for the info...now I don't feel like such a lousy gardener. They do taste
good and I'm getting alot of them on just two plants. Next year I think I'll probably grow
them again and also try 'Gypsy'.
Dosetaker
Mason, NH
(Zone 5b)

September 12, 2012
2:25 PM

Post #9273302

'King Arthur' ( http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/80125/ ) gives fairly large, very thick walled bells. Not the biggest out there, but a great size combined with decent production per plant makes them one of my favs for bigger peppers. However, they are a bit on the slow side for me (zone 5b, New Hampshire).
WillyFromAZ
Sierra Vista, AZ
(Zone 8b)

September 17, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9277762

I've gotten very large bells--6-8 inches in length and 4 +inches in width--with a Burpee variety named Great Stuff.
lssfishhunter
Jonesville, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 19, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9362605

I have grown California Wonder before and was not impressed with the size. I have not had a lot of experience with growing peppers but I really liked the size of 'Big Dipper' compared to Cal. Wonder. I had some really impressive peppers when I grew them one year. However, I don't grow a lot of peppers and some years, not even a plant but when I do grow them, 'Big Dipper' is my choice. I go through the process of seeding my own stuff so you have to find the seed. Don't quote me, but maybe Burpee has them. Try 'Big Dipper' and post on the plant files with your opinion. I also have a small entry on this variety there.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

December 19, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9362669

The trouble with many catalog descriptions, is they have one of those fishing rulers that they measure things with. You know the ones that have 13 or 14 "inches" to the foot.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 20, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9363225

I've also noticed that a majority of catalog descriptions include "best tasting" and "earliest" and "most popular variety".

"Where all the children are above average..."

lssfishhunter
Jonesville, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 20, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9363377

Hey RickCorey_WA. I still think about my vacation to WA everyday! We have not been to a lot of places, because we are still young, but it is going to be hard to beat the one to WA this past summer. I try to make each vacation better than the previous one but WOW, what a beautiful state with so much to do!!! If I remember correctly, you are from NJ originally but you live in a great place now. I am so envious of you.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 20, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9363402

>> you are from NJ originally but you live in a great place now

Exactly! I escaped! I'm planning to spend some time in the cascades soon, but when the sun is shining. I do love WA! I'm glad you liked it. I've almost gotten used t6o how n ice the people are here. Of course, after NJ, ANY state would seem very civilized.

There are toll booths on the turnpike that connects NJ with PA. They charge over $2 to let you leave NJ, b ut it seems like a bargain. Who would pay to get INTO NJ?!?

risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9363519

toxic waste trucks
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9363521

i grow 'Quadrato D'Asti Rosso' which is a large very tasty red bell type. never fails to produce and is consistently requested by my neighbors. (we have a barter thing going on, i trade my veggies for their manure, or whatever they have i can use)

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 21, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9364146

>> Who would pay to get INTO NJ?!?
>> toxic waste trucks

Yes, like spawning salmon returning home.

>> i grow 'Quadrato D'Asti Rosso' which is a large very tasty red bell type.

I looked it up and saw "very thick walls" which was great, but "midseason " which was disapointing. Would you swap a few seeds so I can test whether we have enough time for them to ripen ?

I see they're OP so the seeds should come true.

I would grow them in buckets so I could move them under cover when it gets cold and wet.

risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9364302

sure rick, will get some in the mail to you asap. no swapping though, you were kind enough to me when i was oinking!

(these are commercial seeds as i do not trust myself to save seeds correctly)

kc

This message was edited Dec 21, 2012 8:32 PM
Jim41
Delhi, LA

December 21, 2012
9:14 PM

Post #9364353

I'm glad I stumbled up on this thread. The bell peppers I've planted the past few years just haven't panned out for me. My wife is always after me to raise some bigger peppers for stuffing. I'm not much of a seed starter but will give some of these varieties a shot. Thanks.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 21, 2012
9:28 PM

Post #9364358

Rick here is a picture of what RC is going to send you. They also come in red. I prefer non bells for a higher yield but this is the only bell that I have had an luck with and they are nice sized.

Thumbnail by 1lisac

steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2012
9:41 PM

Post #9364361

I am growing the small ones, not the big ones. They are the "snack" size which are sooooo good eaten out of hand with a dip like hummus or any you prefer. seeds from Johnny's Seeds.
nancynursez637
Madras, OR

December 21, 2012
10:19 PM

Post #9364370

Be sure to start your seeds in 4" pots, when they start making fruit feed regularly, 0-10-10- and then every 3 weeks or so a good complete fertilizer like fish oil etc.? at least ath works for me
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 22, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9364726

Quadrato Rosso D'Asti Pepper Seeds- red quadrato rosso d'asti gallo-yellow
Pure imported Italian seed! The Quadrato Rosso is a superb Italian variety known for its exceptionally large fruit (5"x4") and strong production. The fruit are blocky, typically four-lobed, have a sweet flavor, and change from a brilliant green to rich-red when ripe. Thick walls make these ideal for salads, roasting, or stuffing. 100% Italian seed..

Open-Pollinated, 75 days from transplant.

this picture is not from the company i bought mine, just to give you an idea

Thumbnail by risingcreek

risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 22, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9364728

I have found that with my climate Italian vegetables produce really well. slowly but surely i am moving over to almost all Italian varieties and would suggest them to anyone that has issues with the summer heat.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 22, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9364817

OOpps my Italian isnt very good. lol Now you have a picture of the Red and the Yellow. Ive also had good luck with veggies from Spain and Thailand as well as Italy. Like RC said they keep producing in the heat.
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 22, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9365091

oh, never thought of spain, will have to look for some. next year i have a whole asian garden planned out, thanks to rick corey.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 2, 2013
6:12 PM

Post #9373624

They look great! Thanks, Kacee! I hope I have a long enough, warm enough summer. I've been buying big red peppers from Mexico at a local fruit stand and eating them like candy.

They go to the top of my start-indoors list.

risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2013
7:16 PM

Post #9373674

Rick-couldnt remember if i sent them so i sent another envelope. i really need a better system

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2013
9:02 PM

Post #9373758

Where can I find the Quadratto seeds?
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 2, 2013
9:51 PM

Post #9373786

RC, I was in Italy and Spain in 2000. I brought back a bunch of seeds from the vendors on LasRambles (?) in Barcalona. Bakercreek had an article on their website about their trip there this summer. The next year my whole garden was from those seeds and it was the BEST garden I've ever had. Everything grew and produced like crazy, but I never thought about saving seeds or the packets they came in.

GG-I get my seeds from rareseeds.com but if you google them you'll find them elsewhere. You might try Marconis too.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2013
10:18 PM

Post #9373794

Thanks, Lisa!
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
7:23 AM

Post #9373999

you can get the Quadratto seeds from : Ohio Heirloom Seeds

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/7193/

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
8:03 AM

Post #9374054

I was ready to hit the "purchase" button on the Ohio Heirloom Seeds website, until I noticed there does not seem to be a security system in place...no locks, no "https" indicator...

I hesitate to place my order, and have contacted them via email. Awaiting a response as to how secure my payment info will be.

Linda
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
8:05 AM

Post #9374059

Linda, I bet that is why they prefer you to use Paypal.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
8:22 AM

Post #9374075

I'm thinking the same thing...but, since I just cleared TWO unauthorized purchases in the last six months (one of which was a digital camera that appeared on the FEDEX slip the company shared with me, complete with the delivery address so I could go over there and knock on the door and demand my camera or my cash...)

You can understand my extreme hesitation to click that button...

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
8:32 AM

Post #9374084

I placed the order. I'm hoping the Italian varieties work well in our Texas heat.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2013
2:37 PM

Post #9374452

Risingcreek,

THANK you! I either owe you one, or owe you two, depending on how many you sent.

My SO is starting to mention how my seed purchases add up. She seems unimpressed when I try to show off my whole collection "Look at ALL these I got in RETURN!!!"

Her reaction is more like "Why do you need more seeds than you'll plant this year?"

I think it's not really a matter of "need". More like O. Seed D.

risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
3:06 PM

Post #9374476

You can NEVER have too many seeds. that is my motto. i spend my entire winter buying seeds for my garden, after i have participated in several swaps and gotten, literally, hundreds of packets. There always seems to be some new seed i want to try. lots of stuff does not make it through our summers here, so i am learning by trail and error, and having fun.
Having an SO that is not o. seed d. would be tough!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2013
3:22 PM

Post #9374488

>> learning by trail and error,

Me too.

>> having fun.

Always! Even garden disasters are fun for a while. I should get a rubber stamp for "but they all died". Oh, well!

I delight in buying seeds so they cost 1/3rd as muc h or 1/4 as much, then giving away or trading 2/3 or 3/4 of them. And the variety that comes back in trade, I couldn't afford in this lifetime!

For example, I had never even heard of Quadrato Rosso D'Asti Pepper.

Have you ever heard of "Thor" sweet red peppers? Italian type, thick walls, allegedly up to 12" long? Territorial PP665.
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
3:28 PM

Post #9374492

I grew those last year and did not save any seeds. they are wonderful for stuffing and/or roasting, and the plants were very prolific. sort of forgot about them, but now i have to have more seeds for next year! thanks for mentioning them. should not have forgotten the italian type pepper with the norse name!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2013
3:42 PM

Post #9374504

Thoricini?
Thoriello?

Thorry about that.

I'm glad I stumbled on it in the Territorial paper catalog. I'm not finding any other vendors!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2013
2:14 PM

Post #9381204

My Quadrato Rosso D'Asti Pepper Seeds arrived!

Since I'm putting the Italian varieties to the test, I went ahead and ordered some "Gigante D'Inverno" Spinach seeds. Will be starting them in a small hoop cold frame for (hopefully) an early spring crop of spinach.

I guess I'm like Sherlock Holmes chasing the elusive Moriarty in the garden. Spinach is my current Moriarty -- and I WILL find it growing there, one day!

Linda

P.S. Just so you'll know, I just counted my D'Asti Pepper Seeds. The package says 75 seeds minimum. There are NINETY seeds in my packet! ^:-)^

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 10, 2013
2:24 PM

Post #9381218

I found some 'Corno di Toro Rosso' mild red pepper seeds in my received trades. It's a cowhorn shape, sweet non-bell pepper. Allegedly it can be 6-9" long, super-sweet and is "meaty". I don't know if that means "thick walls".

If anyon e is interested, I'll split it with them. Risingcreek, you get first call.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2013
2:28 PM

Post #9381223

I prefer Italian peppers too. I grow various Marconi types. They are more prolific than bell peppers in my garden and, though elongated, larger than the largest bells I've ever grown. The walls are comparable to bells while the plants are larger and more robust. I have four foot high Marconi plants with viable peppers well after first frost. Big Bertha was the largest bell but not the best flavored sweet pepper I've grown. My experience with bell pepper plants is that they are more disease prone than other types. I find the flesh far less flavorful than Marconis and, for that reason, stopped growing them years ago.

Corno di Toro is a smaller pepper with a thinner wall than Marconi. I grew it for several years. It's good.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2013
2:32 PM

Post #9381229

MaypopLaurel,
Have you grown the Quadrato Rosso D'Asti Peppers? What are they like, if you have?

Linda
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2013
3:09 PM

Post #9381249

No, I have not but once again, and this is my opinion only, I find Italian pepper varieties more sweet. After growing this particular garden for over twenty years, and within a finite space, I try a few new things each year. Granted the finite space keeps growing. Meanwhile the garden continues to evolve while I attempt to grow the most reliable crops.

risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2013
3:56 PM

Post #9381348

Thanks Rick, but I have some of those seeds. They are a great producer and great tasting.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2013
1:23 AM

Post #9381702

Rick, I'd like to try a few. I dont know how many you have to split, but I dont need more than 10 seeds to get one plant to try. Is there anything you might like to have? My tradelist is way out of date. I have many more things not listed there so just ask for something. I might have it.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2013
9:07 AM

Post #9381989

I've got waaaaaaaaaaaaay more Rosso D'Asti seeds than i'm gonna need, so if anyone wants to split some, lemme know.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2013
9:15 AM

Post #9381994

Well---I am drooling at all the pepper discussion! I have had rotten luck lately growing peppers, and will gladly send $ to get some seeds for my tiny garden. If anyone has any to share please let me know and I will send PayPal $ or SASE-whatever you want. I just want to get some nice thick walled bells or other peppers for my Salsa and grilling this summer! I will only need a few seeds.
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2013
9:29 AM

Post #9382003

Jo Parrott

dmail me i would be happy to send a few varieties for postage (all italian)

This message was edited Jan 11, 2013 2:56 PM
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 11, 2013
10:37 AM

Post #9382056

Marconis work great for salsa and grilling too. I always get a higher yield from non bells. I have some seeds I saved from 2010 for Golden Marconi and they seem to be germinating fine. I know they are pure bc they were the only pepper I grew in that year. Dmail if your interested.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 11, 2013
3:26 PM

Post #9382270

SteadyCam3 said:
>> Rick, I'd like to try a few.

I'll look at the received 'Corno di Toro Rosso' and see how many there are.

That's one reason I like clear plastic Ziplocs. You can see what is left.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2013
5:01 PM

Post #9382325

Jo,
Send me a dmail, girlie!

Linda
sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2013
9:56 AM

Post #9383657

I grew Jimmy Nardellos last year. They were so sweet. Roasted, they were like candy lol. This year I am trying some Alma Paprika and some Hot Lemon peppers.
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2013
6:22 AM

Post #9398910

This thread has me longing for spring and planting season. I saved lots of seeds from my favorite marconi (golden treasure) if anyone's interested in some. These things are like eating pepper flavored candy. This was the last harvest last year, and i made jam with them.

Thumbnail by BCH521

Jim41
Delhi, LA

January 27, 2013
6:48 AM

Post #9398924

I'm ready for spring, as well. Got all my raised beds amended, plowed and smoothed out this week while the weather was warm. We will be in the seventies this week so hope I can get all my cages up.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America